PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching right now?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

DoctorDodge
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
"We're building something from scratch, detective...all the pieces matter." The Wire is steadily building itself up to be one of my favourite shows of the noughties. I don't know yet if it truly lives up to the hype, but I just gotta say here that I'm only on ep 6 of season 1, and fuck me, am I enjoying it!

Girlystevedave
12-22-2011, 08:26 PM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Darkthoughts
12-23-2011, 03:08 AM
DD, you've had some weird psychic influence on my Lovefilm list - opened up my post this morning and they have sent me This Is England and Four Lions!

DoctorDodge
12-23-2011, 03:25 AM
YES! I'm sure you're gonna love 'em, Lisa! (Especially This Is England, which I'm still waiting for Pond to review!)

Ricky
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I watched this for the first time last night. I enjoyed it. Lots of hysterical parts, but overall I thought the jokes were inconsistently funny.

Heather19
12-23-2011, 09:36 AM

I watched this for the first time last night. I enjoyed it. Lots of hysterical parts, but overall I thought the jokes were inconsistently funny.

Wait, backup... You had never seen this before? It's a traditional christmas movie for me. I can't go a year without.

ICry4Oy
12-23-2011, 10:24 AM

WHOA! Seriously? Wait, how old are you???

Really?

...shitter's full...THE SQUIRREL!!!...Aunt Bethany!...Morty Moose cups!!!!...it's nipply outside...tied up in a big red bow...snot!!!...cross-eyed kid....hemorrhoids!!!...

Damn it's a great movie.

Shannon
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Love Christmas Vacation.

Surprise Trailer Of The Day (looks great):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

P.S. Everything is ending! Me sad. American Horror Story, Terra Nova, Boardwalk Empire, Survivor. Boooo!

DoctorDodge
12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey, look on the bright side, Shannon: Life on Mars watch starting in only a couple of weeks. And on New Year's Day: brand new Sherlock!!!! 'Bout fucking time!

Ricky
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Wait, backup... You had never seen this before? It's a traditional christmas movie for me. I can't go a year without.

Nope. For some reason, I always thought it was a vulgar Christmas movie. Something like Bad Santa. I looked it up on IMDB a couple weeks ago and turns out I was wrong all these years. :lol:

WHOA! Seriously? Wait, how old are you???

Really?

...shitter's full...THE SQUIRREL!!!...Aunt Bethany!...Morty Moose cups!!!!...it's nipply outside...tied up in a big red bow...snot!!!...cross-eyed kid....hemorrhoids!!!...

Damn it's a great movie.

I'm 19, so it came out 3 years before I was born. Is that a legitimate excuse? :unsure:

ICry4Oy
12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm 19, so it came out 3 years before I was born. Is that a legitimate excuse? :unsure:

Actually, yes, a very good excuse!

MMMMMM 19!!!!!!!!!!!

alkanto
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM

well, I'm 20 and I've seen it 4 or 5 times... :P

DoctorDodge
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, I'm 23 and have never seen it. So meh! :P

alkanto
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but....you're British. That's got to give you a bit of extra time to watch it, being a very American movie. Ricky has no excuse....but I will forgive him if he sends me some cheesecake :lol:

Heather19
12-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Nope. For some reason, I always thought it was a vulgar Christmas movie. Something like Bad Santa. I looked it up on IMDB a couple weeks ago and turns out I was wrong all these years. :lol:

Why didn't you just ask me. I feel so bad that you've been deprived all these years :lol:
And now I have to ask, have you never seen the other Vacation movies?!

DoctorDodge
12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but....you're British. That's got to give you a bit of extra time to watch it, being a very American movie. Ricky has no excuse....but I will forgive him if he sends me some cheesecake :lol:

True. Although it is pretty shameful that only this year did i watch the whole of Blackadder's Christmas Carol for the first time, so that's pretty bad.

Heather19
12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Watching March of the Wooden Soldiers as I finish wrapping Christmas presents :D

Ricky
12-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Ricky has no excuse....but I will forgive him if he sends me some cheesecake :lol:

Hey! You're supposed to be making your own cheesecake! :lol:

Why didn't you just ask me. I feel so bad that you've been deprived all these years :lol:
And now I have to ask, have you never seen the other Vacation movies?!

Uhmm.... :unsure:

Watching March of the Wooden Soldiers as I finish wrapping Christmas presents :D

So glad I'm not there! :lol:

Heather19
12-23-2011, 06:31 PM
You're just jealous :lol:
And you need to watch them asap!

Shannon
12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Christmas Vacation
Shannon 4/5, Amber 5/5

We decided to watch a Christmas movie tonight, and after a brutal match of Paper, Rock, Scissors, Amber got to decide which movie to watch. My movie spreadsheet shows that I last watched it December 2008, and I gave it a four then also, lol. It's a very funny movie, but filled with cheese at some parts. Silly sound effects and such. But we both laughed heartily, so, job well done. Tomorrow is my turn. I'm thinking Elf. :) Ooooh, or Nightmare Before Christmas.

DoctorDodge
12-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Watching Right Now: more Carnivale.

Ricky
12-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Watching: Elf...again! :D

DoctorDodge
12-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Watching: Chinatown. For the first time in far too long.

Merlin1958
12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Watching Right Now: more Carnivale.

Great Show!!!! Shame they never really finished it!!

DoctorDodge
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Honestly, I've found Carnivale a bit hard going so far. I'm 6 episodes in, and so far, I think it's had some wonderful imagery, but little more to it than that. Personally, I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm still waiting for it to get as great as people say. Is there a point where it stops being 'not bad' and starts being 'great' that I simply haven't reached yet?

Merlin1958
12-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I've found Carnivale a bit hard going so far. I'm 6 episodes in, and so far, I think it's had some wonderful imagery, but little more to it than that. Personally, I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm still waiting for it to get as great as people say. Is there a point where it stops being 'not bad' and starts being 'great' that I simply haven't reached yet?

Yes!!! Hang in there. Once the mythology really starts to be revealed it's great, but remember it doesn't really "end".

DoctorDodge
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Oh that's ok, I can just make up my own ending. I know how some shows can almost be completely ruined by a shite ending. Well, as long as it actually gets better, I'll be ok with that. I'm also kinda hoping that the characters start becoming a bit 3 dimensional too. A bit dissapointed at the lack of humour, but...well, I'll finish series 1 of the Wire first, and then finish series 1 of Carnivale.

Rjeso
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I know there are some people out there who I will get the Death Glare from for waiting so long to do this (*cough*feev*cough*), buuuut.... I just started watching Breaking Bad.

It is AMAZING. I am so hooked that it isn't even funny. I never thought I'd be cheering for meth cookers, but I love Walt and Jesse so much.

I am similarly hooked on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead (despite what they're doing to Andrea). I also have gotten through the Tenth Doctor on Doctor Who, but haven't started in on the Matt Smith stuff yet.

fernandito
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I know there are some people out there who I will get the Death Glare from for waiting so long to do this (*cough*feev*cough*), buuuut.... I just started watching Breaking Bad.

It is AMAZING. I am so hooked that it isn't even funny. I never thought I'd be cheering for meth cookers, but I love Walt and Jesse so much.

Isn't it !? Everything about that show is awesome. The art direction, the setting, the tone, the AMAZING performances. I could never say enough about it. I'm eagerly awaiting season 4.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I am similarly hooked on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead (despite what they're doing to Andrea). I also have gotten through the Tenth Doctor on Doctor Who, but haven't started in on the Matt Smith stuff yet.

You haven't got through the Matt Smith stuff yet?!? MEGA-DEATH GLARE!!!!

Seriously, thumbs up for watching Who, at least!

Rjeso
12-28-2011, 01:01 PM
MEGA-DEATH GLARE!!!!

Oh, shi--- *fried to a crisp*

Feev: FOR. REALS. I can't think of one thing about BB that I can point to and say, "I don't like that." Everything's perfect, and I have never seen Cranston shine so much. <3

fernandito
12-28-2011, 01:08 PM
You know, I was never a big Malcolm in the Middle fan so when I saw it I had NO idea it was Cranston. It never crossed my mind. One day I showed an episode to my brother who was curious, and he said "that's crazy that it's the same guy from Malcolm in the Middle" "wait ... what? (IMDB) ... OH MY GAH IT IS!" :lol:

He deserves every award he gets nominated for. He is just phenomenal, and he and Jesse have some of the best on screen chemistry I've ever seen.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Ok, well since I'm coming to the end of the first series of the Wire, i've now added Breaking Bad to the Lovefilm list. Quick question: which should I watch first, Dexter or Breaking Bad?

So Rjeso, have you gotten through the whole Tennant era, or just some of it so far? And are you planning to watch Smith's run? It really is a matter of taste, of course, but I actually have enjoyed what I've seen of the Smith run more, although that's not saying that Tennant didn't have a load of brilliant eps.

fernandito
12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, well since I'm coming to the end of the first series of the Wire, i've now added Breaking Bad to the Lovefilm list. Quick question: which should I watch first, Dexter or Breaking Bad?

BREAKING BAD BREAKING BAD BREAKING BAD BREAKING BAD

Look, I love Dexter. Despite it's current dip in form, it's still a fun show to watch ... but Breaking Bad is a whole different beast. It's dark, it boasts great performances, it has something substantial to say without ever coming across as preachy, it's just an amazing show all around. Watch it, you won't regret it.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
And has humour, I hope? One show I started checking out for the first time recently was Cracker, a British show from the 90s that stars Robbie Coltrane as a police psychologist that helps the police catch killers. It's dark, it's gritty, and Coltrane's fucking amazing, but it also knows when to have humour in all the right places. Nothing slapstick or anything, but just perfectly and naturally done. Dark is piss-easy, but if it mixes in humour, I'm all for it.

fernandito
12-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Absolutely. Very grim humor, but it is there :lol:

Rjeso
12-28-2011, 01:44 PM

So Rjeso, have you gotten through the whole Tennant era, or just some of it so far? And are you planning to watch Smith's run? It really is a matter of taste, of course, but I actually have enjoyed what I've seen of the Smith run more, although that's not saying that Tennant didn't have a load of brilliant eps.

Breaking Bad. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

Yes, I saw the regeneration into Smith, but that was when my internet at home decided it wasn't going to stay connected for more than five minutes at a time. So, streaming became pretty much impossible, which is the only reason we stopped watching. I absolutely love that show. But not as much as Breaking Bad.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Absolutely. Very grim humor, but it is there :lol:

Dude, you're talking to a fan of some of the sickest and most offensive comedy shows made in Britain. You had me at "grim". :lol:

Breaking Bad. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

Yes, I saw the regeneration into Smith, but that was when my internet at home decided it wasn't going to stay connected for more than five minutes at a time. So, streaming became pretty much impossible, which is the only reason we stopped watching. I absolutely love that show. But not as much as Breaking Bad.

You should join us for the Life on Mars watch next month. Doctor Who I love partly because it's something I've grown up with. Life on Mars is one of the few shows to rival that in my affection because it's near fucking perfect, with everything I look for in a show. You won't regret it!

mae
12-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Anyone a sports fan? Watching the 24/7 Flyers/Rangers on HBO. Great stuff, you don't even need to be a sports or a hockey fan. Found the three full episodes to date on Youtube, so here they are for your entertainment. Can't wait for the Winter Classic on January 2nd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCvJXxxq69Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rva4x-qvtwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE404lCgiEo

DoctorDodge
01-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Currently watching: Endeavor, the 1960s prequel to Inspector Morse, a very popular detective series over here. Pretty well made, I thought.

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Currently watching: new series Eternal Law. I'm not into shows about lawyers, but considering these guys are angels, it certainly provides a new take on a worn genre. Whether it's a good fresh take is something I'll judge when the ep's finished. It looks ok so far, kinda chucking us in at the deep end plotwise, but I'm kinda expecting a lot considering it's from the makers of Life on Mars. Will rate later on.

alkanto
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Currently watching: new series Eternal Law. I'm not into shows about lawyers, but considering these guys are angels, it certainly provides a new take on a worn genre. Whether it's a good fresh take is something I'll judge when the ep's finished. It looks ok so far, kinda chucking us in at the deep end plotwise, but I'm kinda expecting a lot considering it's from the makers of Life on Mars. Will rate later on.

That sounds like a show that is right up my alley...is that a correct assumption? I can look into it, if you think I'd like it. Let me know....

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I think you'd like it, but not love it so far. Atm, there's not enough crossover between the angel part and the lawyer part of the story. It's certainly not as good as Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes, which was made by the same team of writers, but on its own, its ok.

Girlystevedave
01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Toy Story 3.
Which means I'll be crying like a moron in an hour. :rolleyes:

Yaksha
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Just finished the first season of Robin Hood. Not bad actually. I am enjoying it so far. But I need a break so I am watching the first season of the British version of Being Human.

mae
01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Second season of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. If you guys haven't seen it, you must. So funny. Three words: ALICE RAPE KIT.

alkanto
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Watching now: Ghostbusters!

Ricky
01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Who you gonna call?!

Girlystevedave
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
The Wonder Years

Darkthoughts
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Just watched the first three eps of This Is England '86...so fucking brilliant, why didn't they send me both discs?!!!!

Jean
01-22-2012, 06:10 AM
I so wish you would watch Life on Mars with us. You and Brice are my last hope.

Darkthoughts
01-23-2012, 02:38 AM
I absolutely promise I will, I even had a conversation about it with a random stranger at the pub on Friday and he said, "Well listen to your friends on the internet, it's brilliant!" :lol: I'm in the Shane Meadows zone right now though, and I'm nothing if not methodical, so I'll watch the next couple of TIE discs and then I will join you :wub:

DoctorDodge
01-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Well considering I love the series of TIE just as much as the film, I think that's as great a reason as any to put off Life on Mars for a little while longer, anyway! Especially since, out of my favourite British shows ever, if not favourite tv shows overall, TIE would be in the top 5. Still, can't wait until we read your thoughts on one of my favourite shows of all time!

Jean
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/awake.gif

Darkthoughts
01-23-2012, 04:43 AM
:lol:

I can't believe TIE 86 is a 2 disc series and they sent me the first part and then something different as the second one...I'm on tenterhooks waiting to see what happens next with poor Trev!!!

DoctorDodge
01-23-2012, 04:53 AM
That really was a horrendous ending to watch with part 3, wasn't it? But thankfully, for the best reasons. You have to love how uncompromising Meadows was with '86. It's interesting to note that while Combo was someone with a lot of depth, someone you hated but at least had a human side to him, Mick is just a total monster. There is absolutely nothing to like about him, no shred of humanity to him. It could be something a risk, as there's usually a need in television these days to say, "Sometimes, it's not that simple and people are more complicated than that", and Meadows kinda did that with Combo (incredibly well, too), but he's also willing to say, "Other times, people are that plain evil."

Darkthoughts
01-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Yes!! Exactly! Combo was headless, given to fits of madness and loss of control, whereas Mick is calculated and a total opportunist with an agenda. Combo's only agenda was that he wanted to belong to something and feel needed, but didn't have the confidence or intelligence to make a distinction between what was right or wrong about a group.

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Watching Right Now: Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall. Again. It really is just too fucking amazing. The Sir Boastalot story makes me both laugh my fucking arse off and sends shivers down my spine at the same time.

alkanto
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
James, I think I am going to watch that again this weekend...don't know why. But I need to, I think. Even if the ending tears me to shreds, emotionally. it's just too damn good not to merit many rewatches

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
It's just so incredibly brilliant, isn't it? Fast pace, fantastic acting, and a story that effectively breaks down both the character of Sherlock Holmes and the audience while still remaining incredibly faithful to the spirit of the original stories. The previous episodes did include a lot of these elements, but Reichenbach is when all of those elements are at their very best. Feels less like a tv episode and more like a film. I adore it.

DoctorDodge
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Watching Right Now: Angel Heart. When Mickey Rourke looked good. Although actually, watching this, I must say it looks very promising so far - very stylish, very atmospheric. I hope it keeps it up throughout the entire film.

Merlin1958
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I so wish you would watch Life on Mars with us. You and Brice are my last hope.

What am I? Wood? LOL OK Jean, I am officially hurt and severely disillusioned!!! LOL No. don't touch me, dude!!! LOL LOL LOL

Shannon
01-29-2012, 09:00 AM
I think he's saying that Darkthoughts and Brice are his last hope of finding some people that will love love love Life On Mars, lol.

Jean
01-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Bill, it's exactly what Shannon said! I want someone else to be crazy about it! I never forgot that you still did like it to an extent, and every time I think of this my old ursine heart is filled with joy!

bears would never hurt merlins! bears love merlins!

Yaksha
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I just started the Epic Star Trek Deep Space Nine Rewatch. DS9 is my favorite Star Trek show so I am extra excited about this. God I love Netflix

alkanto
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Just put in disc 5 of my Doctor Who series 5 DVD....starting with The Lodger, and going straight through both The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang. It's going to be a good night :D

candy
02-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Bones

currently on season 4

Ka-mai
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Bones just wasn't the same after Zach left. :(

Watching Rome... 2 more episodes left in the series. Also just saw the pilot of Firefly and I have to say it was pretty overly-dramatic and silly at times. I was expecting something a little better from how people go on about it. Maybe it will get better.

Merlin1958
02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
I rented "Atlas Shrugged" and was appalled when the DVD said "End of Part 1" WTF? LOL It didn't exactly do the book justice, but the cover said nothing about part 1 & 2 or 3!!! What a gyp!!!

:shoot:

Jimimck
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm watching the clock on my computer count down to 5pm.
32 minutes to go til home time.

special k
02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
sweet! Rick just totally went gunslinger on those two guys on the walking dead!

Shannon
02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
FIREFLY FOREVER!

DoctorDodge
02-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Watching Rome... 2 more episodes left in the series. Also just saw the pilot of Firefly and I have to say it was pretty overly-dramatic and silly at times. I was expecting something a little better from how people go on about it. Maybe it will get better.

I need to watch the rest of Rome. I've seen most of series 1, and really enjoyed it.

And if you don't enjoy Firefly and need another scifi show to watch, may I recommend a certain British programme to watch, one that both Pond and Yaksha have based their themes on?

Oh, and this just might be the greatest award acceptance ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDuEooXruA&feature=context&context=G293f5a5FAAAAAAAAAAA

alkanto
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Love that, James! I saw it on Tumblr, a few days back. Yet another reason to add to the list of why Neil Gaiman is slowly becoming my favorite! :D

watching now: ep 1 of Jekyll. So far, so good!

Heather19
02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
watching now: ep 1 of Jekyll. So far, so good!

This reminds me, I need to finish these.

alkanto
02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Now Watching: ep 1 of Black Books

for whatever reason, tonight seems like a good night to start all those shows I've been meaning to get to, but haven't, I guess. Good think I actually decided to make a to-do list for tomorrow so I can accomplish something for once :lol:

beam*seeker
02-16-2012, 06:52 AM
I will have to read thru the forum for some ideas. I have been so bored with television whilst waiting for Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones to start up again I have been watching Once Upon a Time (which isn't bad) and worst of the worst, American Idol. I know, its bad right? It is like a compulsion to stab myself in the brain with an icepick.

Watching reruns of L&O Criminal Intent would be an option if I was awake at 0200 with no detriment I guess. But I have to sleep soemtimes.

DoctorDodge
02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
May I recommend Life on Mars (UK), beam*seeker? We're only 6 episodes into the re-watch at the moment, and we could use some more discussion on it from new viewers. Plus there's only 16 eps to watch, but you'll have something excellent to watch on a basis of 2 eps a week-ish. Fancy it?

Jean
02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
hear! hear!!!

fernandito
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I will have to read thru the forum for some ideas. I have been so bored with television whilst waiting for Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones to start up again I have been watching Once Upon a Time (which isn't bad) and worst of the worst, American Idol. I know, its bad right? It is like a compulsion to stab myself in the brain with an icepick.

Do you have Netflix instant play? If so

BREAKING BAD.

DoctorDodge
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Yes, but with the possible exception of Who, Life on Mars before all other shows, of course.

alkanto
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Watching Now: Life on Mars ep 5 :D

DoctorDodge
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lar5qo8kA71qajasao1_500.gif

Also, recommended to, well, everyone who hasn't seen it yet, watch BBC series Sherlock.

And I do mean everyone.

Jean
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
bears will be watching ep. 3 in five minutes

DoctorDodge
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/cheesegirl33/GIF/GIF%20Doctor%20Who/thumbsup.gif

alkanto
02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
To both James and bears:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/declarationDRC/highfive-1.gif

Jean
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_cheerful.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_cheerful.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_cheerful.gif

candy
02-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Bones just wasn't the same after Zach left. :(

I know exactly what you mean, I am trying really hard to like the new squints, but its just not the same

Just starting season 5 now - I am getting a little Bones out, so may have a break this week and go back to rewatch of Stargate

DoctorDodge
02-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Alternatively, candy, you could join the Life on Mars rewatch and provide some much wanted discussion. Just a thought. :D

candy
02-18-2012, 04:46 AM
lol, that would mean having to buy it, which would mean parting with money. Which at the moment is in very short supply due to rip off roofers

Although i may be able to beg borrow or steal it off someone I know:wink1:

when you doing the watch/rewatch?

JUST SPOTTED THE THREAD IGNORE ME

DoctorDodge
02-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Already started it, but only 6 eps in atm. You could also try renting the series from Lovefilm in a month, as a suggestion.

kluker
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Spongebob sadly

Jean
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Alternatively, candy, you could join the Life on Mars rewatch and provide some much wanted discussion. Just a thought. :Dyes, yes, please!!

Shannon
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Does anyone watch Glee? Man oh man was that last episode epic.

DoctorDodge
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Ok, taking a break from all the Doctor Who/Thick of It watching and finally gotten back to re-watching Life on Mars, you'll be pleased to know, Shannon. Only ep 5 of series 1, but I'll be back up to speed in no time!

SigTauGimp
02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Currently keeping up with Archer, Bones, Psych, and White Collar...while I'm waiting for a few of those shows to get up and running again(Bones and Psych are both on break,), I decided to do a re-watch of Scrubs, from beginning to end. Never done that before. :D

Shannon
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to update you guys on the shows Amber and I are currently watching at the moment. :)

2 Broke Girls: Season 1
Alcatraz: Season 1
Amazing Race, The: Season 20
American Dad!: Season 7
Apprentice, The: Season 12 (Celebrity)
Awake: Season 1
Being Human (2011): Season 2
Cleveland Show, The: Season 3
Face Off: Season 2
Family Guy: Season 10
Finder, The: Season 1
Firm, The: Season 1
Glee: Season 3
Grey's Anatomy: Season 8
Grimm: Season 1
Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Season 2
Homeland: Season 1
How I Met Your Mother: Season
Jersey Shore: Season 5
Last Man Standing: Season 1
Mad Dogs: Season 2
New Girl: Season 1
Nikita: Season 2
Once Upon A Time: Season 1
Raising Hope: Season 2
Revenge: Season 1
Ringer: Season 1
River, The: Season 1
Rob: Season 1
Shameless: Season 2
Smash: Season 1
South Park: Season 15
Spartacus: Season 3 (Vengeance)
Survivor: Season 24 (One World)
Touch: Season 1
Walking Dead, The: Season 2

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Watching Right Now: American Horror Story.

And despite the really shit title, it's actually pretty good so far.

Heather19
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Watching Right Now: American Horror Story.

And despite the really shit title, it's actually pretty good so far.

:thumbsup:
Heather approves :lol:

What ep are you on?

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
1. I'm not that far in, but I was expecting something a lot more blander. I mean, seriously? "American Horror Story"? That sounds more like the title of a network show trying to be scary but is actually so old and so fucking low budget it would make Tom Baker era Who look like fucking Saw. I also think the "psychic down's syndrome" character is just a little bit unnecessary, but everything else looks good, and genuinely creepy.

Heather19
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
It gets better! And maybe we'll finally agree on something again :D

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Question: was Carnivale like Torchwood, and a show that only really found its feet in its 2nd season? Because maybe we can agree on that too, when i get round to that, maybe the plot finally kicks off then. But the first season is, for first time viewing, definitely weak, imo. It did get better in its last couple of eps, though.

pathoftheturtle
02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Totally! Good news is that the title is the worst thing about it.
So far.
Season Two is going to start a whole different story from the first series... I guess that's the rationale behind the bland title of the show ongoing, although you'd think that'd make it "American Horror Stories"! And I could have come up with a better name than that ANYWAY, I'm positiive.
But, again, I very much liked the series otherwise.

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Ok, well it's great to know that each season will tell its own story, at least. That means that they won't drag it out over 100 eps until there's no mystery left to solve.

And for the record, I have a huge aversion to anything with the county/country name it's from in the title anyway, although that might be because of god-awful shows like Jersey Shore and The Only Way Is Essex. (The latter of which beat Sherlock in a youtube vote, btw. WHAT?!? One of the best shows we have over here, and TOWIE beat it? Fucking TOWIE? It makes every single person from Essex look like a vain, retarded tan monkey!)

Heather19
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Question: was Carnivale like Torchwood, and a show that only really found its feet in its 2nd season? Because maybe we can agree on that too, when i get round to that, maybe the plot finally kicks off then. But the first season is, for first time viewing, definitely weak, imo. It did get better in its last couple of eps, though.

Well I liked it from the beginning and probably prefer the first season. Although I think you might like season 2 better. Definitely check it out at some point.

Question, have you ever seen Pushing Daisies? Have we talked about this before?

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Argh, still need to watch that, beyond the first ep, anyway. I knew it was from the same creator as Dead Like Me, and I liked what I saw, but I've still gotta watch the rest.

Heather19
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I love that one. It's like a cross of Dead Like Me and Tim Burton. It's fantastic. And another one that should have lasted longer.

And I hope Psychoville is still on your list somewhere too :)

Shannon
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
American Horror Story FTW!

Great, edgy, twisty show! Loved it! One of the very few ORIGINAL shows in recent history. Very excited for season 2.

DoctorDodge
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, only ORIGINAL in as much as Sherlock (one of the best shows in recent years) is - it does use a lot of horror staples, after all, with the haunted house with the very bad history, the weird psychotic high school student, and of course, as I mentioned, the unnecessary down's syndrome character (all the rest are great for the story, but that character is just too cliched for me) - but still a really good show so far. Maybe because, like Sherlock, while it uses bits and bobs of many a classic story, the way it puts them together is really well done.

beam*seeker
02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Do you have Netflix instant play? If so

BREAKING BAD. No, but I have considered purchasing the whole thing...there is a used store here or Amazon

May I recommend Life on Mars (UK), beam*seeker? We're only 6 episodes into the re-watch at the moment, and we could use some more discussion on it from new viewers. Plus there's only 16 eps to watch, but you'll have something excellent to watch on a basis of 2 eps a week-ish. Fancy it? I will check it out

I am actually stoked about a series on Nat Geo called Too Cute. Puppies and stuff.

For fans of Reality shows, Lizard Lick is an interesting show about the ups and downs of life in the towing cars business which is entertaining. I love to watch the rubes go at each other...

candy
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
And for the record, I have a huge aversion to anything with the county/country name it's from in the title anyway, although that might be because of god-awful shows like Jersey Shore and The Only Way Is Essex. (The latter of which beat Sherlock in a youtube vote, btw. WHAT?!? One of the best shows we have over here, and TOWIE beat it? Fucking TOWIE? It makes every single person from Essex look like a vain, retarded tan monkey!)

I detest all of those type of shows, they dont even know what they are. Scripted reality TV!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish everyone watching it would just find that one extra brain cell and realise the drivel they are watching:mad::mad::mad:

Well I liked it from the beginning and probably prefer the first season. Although I think you might like season 2 better. Definitely check it out at some point.

Pushing Daisy was brilliant, do you know if they are doing a new series?

Argh, still need to watch that, beyond the first ep, anyway. I knew it was from the same creator as Dead Like Me, and I liked what I saw, but I've still gotta watch the rest.

GO. WATCH!!!!!!!

Heather19
02-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Pushing Daisy was brilliant, do you know if they are doing a new series?

GO. WATCH!!!!!!!

I just went to look and I saw that he created Wonderfalls. Makes sense as that show had a similar quirky feel to it as well. And looks like he has a new show in the works, Hannibal.

ICry4Oy
02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Loving the new season of SPARTACUS!!!!! The critics can blow me.

Shannon
02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
The most recent episode was EPIC! Holy shit holy shit holy shit, what a great episode.

SigTauGimp
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I absolutely :wub: the current series of Top Gear...Haven't had a single episode yet that I've disliked. It's shaping up to be my favorite series yet. :D

fernandito
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
I've recently become obsessed with The Office (US) after a co of mine nagged me into submission to watch it. I'm so glad she did, I freakin' LOVE IT. I'm not a big Steve Carell fan (I find him annoying most of the time) but he is absolutely brilliant in this. Dwight is probably my favorite character, that guy is just too much :lol:

Heather19
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Agreed! I was always hesitant to watch it because I'm not a fan of his. But he's perfect in the role. What season are you at?

ICry4Oy
02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I've recently become obsessed with The Office (US) after a co of mine nagged me into submission to watch it. I'm so glad she did, I freakin' LOVE IT. I'm not a big Steve Carell fan (I find him annoying most of the time) but he is absolutely brilliant in this. Dwight is probably my favorite character, that guy is just too much :lol:

I'm just the opposite. I am a Steve Carell fan but I can't stand that show. I've tried watching it several times and wanted to like it but ended up changing the channel every time. The UK/original is even worse. :P

DoctorDodge
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM

I'm just the opposite. I am a Steve Carell fan but I can't stand that show. I've tried watching it several times and wanted to like it but ended up changing the channel every time. The UK/original is way better. :P

Fixed that for you. :P

Darkthoughts
02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Saw an ep of Being Human season 4 the night before last. Whilst it had it's moments I really think they need some new writers, it went downhill after season 2 and I found this ep to be blatantly rehashing themes they've already covered, with in some places, almost the same dialogue.

DoctorDodge
02-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Believe it or not Lisa, I actually keep forgetting it's on. Haven't watched a single ep of this series yet. I might catch up soon, but I think it may have had something to do with series 3 - as you said, it really started to go downhill, particularly with the Annie/Mitchell romance, as well as how Herrick's return was handled. I didn't mind the amnesia part, or how he really came back, so much - it was the fact that, after so much build up, not long after he comes back, he gets killed off permanently anyway.

Darkthoughts
02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Believe it or not Lisa, I actually keep forgetting it's on. Haven't watched a single ep of this series yet.
I absolutely believe it, because I've been the same. Catching the ep on...Sunday? Monday? Was an accidental product of channel hopping.

I might catch up soon, but I think it may have had something to do with series 3 - as you said, it really started to go downhill, particularly with the Annie/Mitchell romance, as well as how Herrick's return was handled. I didn't mind the amnesia part, or how he really came back, so much - it was the fact that, after so much build up, not long after he comes back, he gets killed off permanently anyway.
Oh bloody hell yes!!! The Annie/Mitchell thing was just gaaaaaaaaay! :lol: I mean, I love Annie, I love Mitchell - do they love each other? Er, no! It just came out of nowhere, it was as if they had someone different writing each ep, who was being hired on the understanding that they not ever watch any previous episodes prior to writing!

DoctorDodge
03-10-2012, 08:36 AM
"Has he been shot?"
"He got hit in the head by a boom!"

I had forgotten how bloody hilarious The Sopranos was. Finally gotten back to my re-watch. (Btw, Mattrick, the ep I'm on is...ah, sod it, you'd know what ep I'd be on by a single quote! :lol:)

Garrell
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Gonna start watching "Game of Thrones" season 1 tonight, got the box set today. It better be good or I am gonna bite some kneecaps here.

DoctorDodge
03-10-2012, 03:55 PM
It's HBO: how can you not love it? (Then again, my experience with Carnivale...)

Hope you enjoy it, anyway. I certainly did, well what I saw of it, before I started to read the book.

harrison ryan
03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm watching Face Off, that special effects makeup competition show.

Garrell
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Finished episode 5 of Game of Thrones. It is pretty good:) 5 to go. Damn HBO, between it and Eastbound (watched and own first 2 seasons, silly but fun) my tight ass may need to get HBO.

Shannon
03-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Just did a rewatch of Game Of Thrones, Season One with Amber. I've seen it before, she hadn't. But, before we could watch the second season together, obviously she had to watch the first. Such a great show. Very very high quality.

Jean
03-14-2012, 07:45 AM
[re]watching: Suspiria

I had forgotten what a feast for the eye it was.

Heather19
03-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Do you like Opera?
Now I want to watch some Argento :)

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Hopefully I'll be watching that next week. I've got All Quiet on the Western Front and Harvey to watch on my Lovefilm list, and then hopefully, Suspiria will arrive next.

Your description of 'feast for the eyes' has made me wonder: have you been able to watch the joyful bizzarness of Snuff Box, yet? I still have a feeling you'd really enjoy that.

Jean
03-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Do you like Opera?

bears love all Argento they've seen!

Right after Suspiria I think I want to re-watch the whole trilogy, if I can find the other two

Jean
03-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Your description of 'feast for the eyes' has made me wonder: have you been able to watch the joyful bizzarness of Snuff Box, yet? I still have a feeling you'd really enjoy that.
I am sure I will!! I can't find it anywhere!

Heather19
03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Do you like Opera?

bears love all Argento they've seen!

Right after Suspiria I think I want to re-watch the whole trilogy, if I can find the other two

I wasn't as big on the other ones in the trilogy for some reason. Maybe I'll go through and start watching the ones I haven't seen yet. What are your favorites?

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
I am sure I will!! I can't find it anywhere!

Darn! I'll try and do some digging and see if I can find it online anywhere. In the meantime, I'll let you know what I think of Harvey and Suspiria when I watch them. Btw, (because I've only made like, what, 5 mentions of it today so far), I hope you're able to find more Doctor Who eps, at least! :D

Jean
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I love Mother of Tears! Tenebrae isn't bad either, come to think of it. My very favorite Argento is, I think, Suspiria, as the most perfect; closely followed by Deep Red (but I am very partial to dolls).

I don't think I've seen Trauma. I am sure I will enjoy it.

DD: I still want to go catch up with Lif on Mars, - obviously. All else comes after this.

Heather19
03-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't think I've seen Deep Red. But I'm pretty sure it's on netflix instant. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. And what about Phenomena? I haven't seen that one yet, but it's been on my list for some time now.

Jean
03-14-2012, 08:17 AM
oh yes, Phenomena, of course! do it, only not while eating (fair warning)

Heather19
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Noted! :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
DD: I still want to go catch up with Life on Mars, - obviously. All else comes after this.

Oh, obviously. Again, looking forward to any new discoveries you make during the re-watch.

My very favorite Argento is, I think, Suspiria, as the most perfect; closely followed by Deep Red (but I am very partial to dolls).

Hmm, concerning horror and dolls, I'm once again reminded at how dissapointed I was with Night Terrors. I think I need to watch Deep Red for a good horror story with dolls. And what do you know, that's on instant watch! Sweet!

Jean
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
it's not really horror - no Argento is - it is stylish, elegant, ostensibly somber arthouse masquerading as giallo; a very tongue-in-cheek entity

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Well, hopefully within the next few days I'll finally watch one film of his at least and give some thoughts on it.

frik
03-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm watching Face Off,

That one turned me into a John Woo fan for life!
(Anyone know what Woo's up to lately? Red Cliff -the complete edition, of course- has been a couple of years.

sk

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm watching Face Off,

That one turned me into a John Woo fan for life!

Not that one Frik, an American tv series he's referring to.

frik
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM

My favorite Argento.
I can't get myself to watch Mother of Tears. I'm afraid it would spoil what has come before.
Does it?

sk

Jean
03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I've never thought of it this way. I am going to watch the three back-to-back anyway within the next couple of days; will tell you then.

beam*seeker
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Finished episode 5 of Game of Thrones. It is pretty good:) 5 to go. Damn HBO, between it and Eastbound (watched and own first 2 seasons, silly but fun) my tight ass may need to get HBO.

HBO is worth it for GoT, Boardwalk Empire and interestingly, I am starting to like Enlightened.

For those with basic extended cable, the episodes of Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet have been appealing lately. Of course, this is coming from a sucker for pseudoscience.
If you are a celebrity watcher, Fashion Police is awesome. I watch it just to hear Joan Rivers rank on people. She is totally over the top, outrageous and profanely funny.

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
WRN: One of the greatest twist endings in tv history. I fucking love this scene. I fucking love Sherlock as a whole, but this...this is just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeEVuPiqE24
"People have died."
"That's what people
DO!"

Shannon
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Doctor Dodge, was that the ending of the entire series? Watched it without having any wanting to see the show, but that didn't really look all that bad, lol.

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
It's the ending of series 1. The ending of series 2 is ten times more awesome, as it's based on original story

The Final Problem.

The clip's a pretty big spoiler, considering it reveals who, after 3 90 minute eps, who Moriarty finally is, but considering the series 2 cover reveals that, that's not so bad! :lol: And yes: all 6 eps are that amazing. One of my favourite shows of the past few years. Certainly the best tv adaptation I've watched.

Shannon
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
K, that's good enough for me. Downloading both seasons now, only 2 gigs, not bad.

Maybe this weekend will be a Sherlock weekend for Amber and I. :)

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Awesome, Shannon! I'm sure you'll love it!

And I think I'm overdue for a Sherlock weekend myself.

mystima
03-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Face Off..the make up series has it's own thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12062-Show-off-Face-Off)

Shannon
03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Re: Sherlock.

Apparently I downloaded the pilot (episode 01) and the unaired pilot (episode 00). From what I understand, they're very similar but the aired pilot is the way to go. Does anyone disagree?

alkanto
03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Shannon: I would watch the aired pilot for sure. It has more continuity for the rest of the series. That being said...after you get through the first series, it's not a bad idea to watch the unaired version. I found it very fascinating, personally. Nice to see what they kept and what they changed.

RUBE
03-16-2012, 07:59 PM
March Madness

DoctorDodge
03-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Re: Sherlock.

Apparently I downloaded the pilot (episode 01) and the unaired pilot (episode 00). From what I understand, they're very similar but the aired pilot is the way to go. Does anyone disagree?

Shannon: I would watch the aired pilot for sure. It has more continuity for the rest of the series. That being said...after you get through the first series, it's not a bad idea to watch the unaired version. I found it very fascinating, personally. Nice to see what they kept and what they changed.

Agreed with Pond here. With the unaired pilot, they were kind of finding their feet with the look and style of the show, plus one or two major characters and plot points of the series have virtually no appearance (hence why the aired pilot is half an hour longer than the unaired version).

Shannon
03-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Cool, thanks. :)

DoctorDodge
03-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Great! Now I just need to wait for your thoughts on the series. Shouldn't take too long, hopefully. Only 6 eps, after all.

Nothing like my Who watch, though. Been watching/listening to the eps in order for a while, now. Recent ep I listened to: Macra Terror, episode 3. 155 down, 629 (and counting) to go until November 2013...

Heather19
03-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Great! Now I just need to wait for your thoughts on the series. Shouldn't take too long, hopefully. Only 6 eps, after all.

Nothing like my Who watch, though. Been watching/listening to the eps in order for a while, now. Recent ep I listened to: Macra Terror, episode 3. 155 down, 629 (and counting) to go until November 2013...

I'm sure you'll be done well before then :D

DoctorDodge
03-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Well, to be honest, there was a year gap between seasons 3 and 4, due to lack of releases. I'm hoping the next gap won't be as long, though, but i will be taking a couple of weeks gaps to watch and listen to some individual who stories when i finish season 4. Maybe Talons of Weng Chiang, one of the greatest stories ever. (Seriously, how can anyone - anyone - not enjoy that story? I mean, really? Really? Someone else watch it and prove how wrong Heather is, please!)

DoctorDodge
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Watching Right Now: Breaking Bad - Season 1, Episode 1.

Shannon
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I liked the first season of Breaking Bad very mucho. Haven't gotten around to continuing though. :)

DoctorDodge
03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes with their dark humour. Speaking of dark humour, i really must get back to watching Cracker.

Shannon
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I did not like Cracker. Watched two episodes, returned the DVD to the library. Yuck.

DoctorDodge
03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Original British series or American remake?

mikeC
03-20-2012, 09:08 AM
We are re-watching Battlestar now. So friggin good!

DoctorDodge
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Ugh. Too many great shows that I need to watch. I've actually watched the first season and some of the second before i was, inevitably, distracted. Once I'm done with Farscape, then I'll get back to Battlestar.

Shannon
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Love Battlestar Galactica. The remake, correct? lol

The American Cracker: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118290/

DoctorDodge
03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not gonna pay attention to that. Recasting anyone other than Robbie Coltrane as Fitz is like recasting Tony Soprano. Only Hagrid is a big bastard enough to play Fitz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8lQIREZtp4

Oh, and yes, I mean the remake of Battlestar. Sometimes, remakes work. As long as they're not American remakes of British shows! :lol:

mikeC
03-21-2012, 06:27 AM
I guess they are making a Cylon war show "Blood and Chrome" when Adama was young. Not sure how interested I'll be in that. Caprica was an interesting concept but they took too long to get to anything worth watching. That's why we're just re-watching BG.
Also watched one episode of Firefly, it was ok. Seemed a lot like Cleopatra 2025.

DoctorDodge
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Have you tried watching Doctor Who, Mike? Could be your thing, if you like scifi. As long as you're not expecting a BSG level of seriousness and maturity, anyway! :lol: (For the record, loved both, but definitely opposite ends of scifi, really.)

mikeC
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Have you tried watching Doctor Who, Mike? Could be your thing, if you like scifi. As long as you're not expecting a BSG level of seriousness and maturity, anyway! :lol: (For the record, loved both, but definitely opposite ends of scifi, really.)

Ha! that's pretty funny. Your suggestion is actually the end joke to BG addiction episode of Portlandia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njr3aFpTMyQ

DoctorDodge
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
:lol: That was brilliant! You know what the best part is? 26 seasons isn't an exaggeration, that's how long it originally went. And that's not even including the last six seasons since it got back! :lol:

Ka-mai
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Downton Abbey! I'm actually surprised there isn't a thread for this show yet. If no one else does, I'll start one when the new season arrives and there's more to discuss.

DoctorDodge
03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
My mum really enjoys that show. Haven't watched any of it, but it does seem to be one of those British shows that, like Dr Who and Merlin, seems to be finding a bit of a large audience in America as well.

harrison ryan
03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Just watched the newest South Park. That show's still brilliant.

Ka-mai
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Just watched the Christmas special of Downton Abbey.

If ANYTHING prevents Matthew and Mary from getting married and having tons of kids, I will shoot the writers. They've teased me too long to ruin this!

Xile
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Would I have a vagina if I said Teenwolf? If yes, then I'm watching um, Casino or even Goodfellas.

Shannon
04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Teen Wolf isn't a chick flick. If you woulda said The Divine Sisterhood Of Teen Wolf's Traveling Pants From Steel Magnolias, then yes, your vagina would be hanging out. lol

DoctorDodge
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM

If ANYTHING prevents Matthew and Mary from getting married and having tons of kids, I will shoot the writers. They've teased me too long to ruin this!

Excellent! Now you can catch up on Britain's other most popular show! :D

Xile
04-04-2012, 02:30 AM
The Divine Sisterhood Of Teen Wolf's Traveling Pants From Steel Magnolias, then yes, your vagina would be hanging out. lol

The sequel sounds revolting. :lol:

Heather19
04-04-2012, 06:14 AM

:lol: I agree. I also wish it would hurry up and come back.

DoctorDodge
04-09-2012, 12:14 PM
In preparation for the 5th anniversary of the finale tomorrow (which to this day, remains the greatest finale to a tv series ever), currently watching ep 5 of series 2 of Life on Mars. The Camberwick Green sequence to this day remains absolutely fucking hysterical! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHP3Jih_rfA

alkanto
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
That's tomorrow already! Holy shit, I've been busy...I totally forgot! I'll have to make time to watch the last ep tomorrow at some point, even if it'll be drastically out of order. It's good enough.

DoctorDodge
04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
WRN: Life on Mars, series 2, episode 7. God, I fucking LOVE this episode! Some really great buildup to the finale, especially with the introduction of Frank Morgan.

Darkthoughts
04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I loved Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley so when I first saw that on LoM I cracked up :D

Next ep of Todd and the Book of Pure Evil tonight, so ace!!

DoctorDodge
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Of course, now watching the finale. As ever, this is one that really royally fucks with the emotions. 5 years ago to the day, too. Still think I couldn't have asked for a better finale, really.

"If the Guv goes down...we all go down."

DoctorDodge
04-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Watching Right Now: Battlestar Galactica, Season 3 - The Eye of Jupiter.

8th ep of the day. Planning to go out soon. Finding it very difficult to stop watching, though. Will let you guys know what happens.

skyofcrack
04-15-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm watching Titanic which concludes tonight. This has really been fantastic. I love the structure of each episode and some of the performances are outstanding. I'm sure the sinking will not be as dramatic as Cameron's but so far I'm liking this better. It's like a jigsaw puzzle. Each episode starts before the voyage and about 30 min. in hits the iceberg. We get more and more backstory that fills in the holes as we go along. Very cool. I like that they focused equally on the staff as on the passengers.

DoctorDodge
04-15-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm watching Titanic which concludes tonight. This has really been fantastic. I love the structure of each episode and some of the performances are outstanding. I'm sure the sinking will not be as dramatic as Cameron's but so far I'm liking this better. It's like a jigsaw puzzle. Each episode starts before the voyage and about 30 min. in hits the iceberg. We get more and more backstory that fills in the holes as we go along. Very cool. I like that they focused equally on the staff as on the passengers.

Is that the 4 part one, skyofcrack? I've heard that hasn't been getting that many good reviews over here, and my family's watched the first ep and weren't keen to watch the second. I'll probably rent it when it's out on dvd. I am interested in watching a bit of it, anyway.

Admittedly, it's mostly to see what the new Dr Who companion is like as an actress! :lol:

skyofcrack
04-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Is that the 4 part one, skyofcrack? I've heard that hasn't been getting that many good reviews over here, and my family's watched the first ep and weren't keen to watch the second. I'll probably rent it when it's out on dvd. I am interested in watching a bit of it, anyway.

Yeah, nobody's really talking about it that much. I don't know any of these actors but a few of them are exceptional.

DoctorDodge
04-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Yeah, looked at the list, only one or two actors I recognise, and that's because, frankly, they've either been in Who or are going to be. :P Honestly, if it had been made by BBC, I probably would've been more interested, but as it was made by ITV (yes, it's true: not everything British is made by the BBC), which is one of my least favourite channels over here, it hasn't really grabbed me. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm more keen to watch the 3D version of Cameron's at the cinema. (Which is good, because the family are pretty keen to see that as a family anyway.)

Ka-mai
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
I just watched an episode of Doctor Who, and I must say, you people have some serious explaining to do, because that was the stupidest episode of anything I've seen in a long time.

:nope:

DoctorDodge
04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Don't talk to me. (Goes doubly so if it was written by Steven Moffat.)

alkanto
04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I just watched an episode of Doctor Who, and I must say, you people have some serious explaining to do, because that was the stupidest episode of anything I've seen in a long time.

What ep did you watch? And, if you don't mind, do you think you could head over to the DW thread to talk about specifics? I'm always curious as to what people do or do not like in a show, so I'd love to hear your opinions. and, I dunno...maybe give you some recommendations of eps that might change your mind? :lol:

Ka-mai
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
I will head over to be specific, but yes, I think you need to tell me which seasons are better than others, because I must have hit the crappy season or something.

Ricky
04-15-2012, 10:15 AM

:rofl:

Ka-mai
04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Are you laughing because you agree with me, or because you think I'm an idiot?

DoctorDodge
04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Because Ricky knows the reaction us Who fans are having right now. In his mind, it's probably something like this:
http://www.andrewtiernan.com/television/cracker2/images/cracker_023.jpg

Ricky
04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Are you laughing because you agree with me

Because Ricky knows the reaction us Who fans are having right now. In his mind, it's probably something like this:
http://www.andrewtiernan.com/television/cracker2/images/cracker_023.jpg

Yes and Yes. :lol:

DoctorDodge
04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
You've watched 2 eps Ricky and, aside from a fair level of cheesiness, you've basically said they were good, so you can't really say you agree with ka-mai (yet: i still think she'll like it better when we recommend her better eps than the typical children's opening ep).

Heather19
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm probably the only one that watches this show, but I've been having a SeaQuest marathon this weekend. Almost done with season 1 :D

DoctorDodge
04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Moving on from ka-mai's horrendously wrong opinion of the greatest. Show. Ever. (and needs to watch episodes written by the wonderful Steven Moffat to realise just how much the hype is justified in Who being as good as Harry Potter), past few days have been spent mostly watching the epic season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. Who knew a scifi show without any time travel could be so awesome? ;) Seriously, while season 1 is probably my favourite so far, I have been greatly enjoying the whole show so far. Especially looking forward to finding out who the hell the Final Five are. (Even if the name does sound a little too much like a certain children's book series! :lol: )

Brice
04-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Doctor Who is enough sci fi show for me. I really only like VERY little sci fi...books included. I am more intersted in the characters and story than the sci fi itself.

DoctorDodge
04-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Doctor Who is enough sci fi show for me. I really only like VERY little sci fi...books included. I am more intersted in the characters and story than the sci fi itself.

QFT. There's very little scifi or fantasy that I enjoy. "Escapism" would be a better term for the kind of fiction I enjoy: ordinary, relatable characters having their lives changed forever by a simple event. (One of the reasons why I love The Drawing of the Three so much.) However, despite the fact that the allegories are really fucking obvious at times, BSG is overall a very good show. It's more like Lost in the storytelling approach: the scifi isn't as much the focus as the characters and how their lives are affected by the day-to-day struggles on a ship. No aliens or anything, just a very human story, ultimately. Perhaps not the "best show ever", but pretty darn good overall.

fernandito
04-16-2012, 08:25 AM

My reaction
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/Nicolas20Cage20Laugh.gif

James and Jennifer's reaction
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/starter.gif

Darkthoughts
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM

I can see why people think that about Dr Who, it's very old skool BBC in that they don't see the point in completely believable special effects/costumes...but that's part of it's charm. The Beeb have always been that way, and so has Who...maybe you have to be British or a certain type of nerd to appreciate it?

Pond - even though I think most of us at TDT are a select type of nerd, I have been thinking of you as British for ages now, so consider yourself part of my sweeping UK generalisations whenever I make them :lol:

DoctorDodge
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM

My reaction
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/Nicolas20Cage20Laugh.gif

James and Jennifer's reaction
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/starter.gif

Actually, my reaction is more this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfvbl0t2yu1qc8sedo1_500.gif

alkanto
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Pond - even though I think most of us at TDT are a select type of nerd, I have been thinking of you as British for ages now, so consider yourself part of my sweeping UK generalisations whenever I make them :lol:

YES :lol: means I am one step closer to my goal of actually being British :D

And Feev? That is hysterical! :rofl:

DoctorDodge
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM

I can see why people think that about Dr Who, it's very old skool BBC in that they don't see the point in completely believable special effects/costumes...but that's part of it's charm. The Beeb have always been that way, and so has Who...maybe you have to be British or a certain type of nerd to appreciate it?

You mean the kind of nerd that only loves awesome television? :lol:

To be fair, I think the show has certainly looked better in recent years. True, the effects aren't quite as good as what you'd see in an American show, but they're pretty close now. The BBC are certainly treating it a lot better than they did in the 80s, that's for sure. (Although, frankly, that's not saying much, and they could still treat it a lot better.)

I think the show has been getting a lot more appeal in the US lately, and I think that's partly due to BBCAmerica's promotion of it, partly due to Moffat, but mostly because, imo, it's never been better, with complex, multiple season story arcs, a darker look than the RTD era and a more fairytale style of storytelling. Easily one of the best shows on tv atm, so I'm always amazed when someone doesn't like it.

skyofcrack
04-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Just watched the first episode of The '70's from the BBC. I love this type of series or documentary. Anything from this decade is fascinating to watch on film. I was born in '67 so I grew up in the '70's.

DoctorDodge
04-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Shit, I forgot to watch that. I may not have grown up in that decade, but I was raised on a ton of 70s stuff: a lot of music, like T-Rex, David Bowie, and of course some classic Stones tunes. There were also some great shows that decade too, like the Sweeney, so when I heard about Life on Mars - a modern day cop waking up in the 70s - I was interested immediately. I'll look up The '70's when I get home.

fernandito
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM

You mean the kind of nerd that only loves awesome television? :lol:

To be fair, I think the show has certainly looked better in recent years. True, the effects aren't quite as good as what you'd see in an American show, but they're pretty close now. The BBC are certainly treating it a lot better than they did in the 80s, that's for sure. (Although, frankly, that's not saying much, and they could still treat it a lot better.)

I think the show has been getting a lot more appeal in the US lately, and I think that's partly due to BBCAmerica's promotion of it, partly due to Moffat, but mostly because, imo, it's never been better, with complex, multiple season story arcs, a darker look than the RTD era and a more fairytale style of storytelling. Easily one of the best shows on tv atm, so I'm always amazed when someone doesn't like it.

I have no problem with the special effects, I think it comes with the territory for network shows to have (at times) sub par effects due to budget constraints; the CGI polar bear in LOST was god awful.

Speaking for myself and no one else, I think one of the primary reasons I'm not crazy about the show despite being a huge sci-fi buff is that the central characters are unrelatable. One of the reasons I love LOST show much and the reason I consider it the best show I have ever seen is that despite it's sci-fi trappings, virtually all of the characters have strong roots in the real world, they all face dilemmas that mirror our own struggles. Whereas in Dr. Who, the central character is an alien that always has the answer, always saves the day while spewing one liners, etc., and Pond strikes me as a very one dimensional character (keeping in mind I've only seen 6 episodes, but those are my impressions thus far). I think of the show as a real life cartoon in a way, good for entertainment, but a bit shallow thematically.

DoctorDodge
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I think this is why you need to watch a lot more of it: yes, the Doctor is a very clever, always saves the day, but he's also a man with demons, a man who's had to live with not only being the sole survivor of his race, but also being the guy who had to pull the trigger. He's not even a purely heroic figure - his actions have consequences, sometimes for the worse, and that's really best seen in series 6. I suppose I can see where you're coming from with Amy though, but she does improve over the course of the whole season. I can also see where you're coming from with Lost. The only real problem I had with the characters was that nearly all of them had extraordinary backstories before they arrived on the island. One being a junkie rockstar, another being a cursed millionaire, another being a hotshot doctor etc. There's great relatable themes within those stories, but no one seemed to come from a normal situation that I could relate to. There could have been another way, I think, to get those themes across with both the island story and the flashbacks, but that's probably just me. One thing I loved about Life on Mars was that Sam was a character with issues, but the only extraordinary thing about his life was his arrival in 1973.

fernandito
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I will keep your points in mind as I progress through the series.

I'm curious to hear why Sarah didn't like it though lol.

DoctorDodge
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, she did watch Rose, the first ep of not just series 1 of the new lot, but also of the RTD era, which is very different in style to the Moffat stuff. I like it, hell, I loved it when it was first on - first new Who ep in 16 years? Fuck yeah! But it's far from being a classic, it has to be said. I'm hoping she'll post some thoughts in the Who thread, anyway.

DoctorDodge
04-17-2012, 11:41 PM
WRN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzFrYw4oU8

So fucking true. :lol:

TLC
04-19-2012, 07:25 PM
A documentary on Thai Elephants... :(

Many of them are abused and fed amphetamines to extend how long they work (AKA. Giving tourists rides throughout the forest).... :(

DoctorDodge
04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
WRN: the final episode of Cracker.

Shit.

DoctorDodge
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
WRN: Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! :excited:

DoctorDodge
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
WRN: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011).

Will post some thoughts later and rate it, but so far, so good. Seems to be a better effort at making a stylish and accurate translation of the original novel than the Swedish version, anyway.

alkanto
04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Watching: Supernatural! episode 9, season 2: Croatoan.

I'm only 5 min into it, but I'm instantly reminded of how much I freakin' love this show (pre-season 6), which simultaneously makes me very happy to be watching it again and sad, because I loved it so much but haven't watched it in so long...

fernandito
04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
I watched an episode of Veep last night (the new one I guess?), very funny :lol:

Also about to wrap up Dead Like Me, only 5 episodes to go.

DoctorDodge
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
I've yet to watch the 2nd episode of Veep, but I greatly enjoyed the first ep. One of the few Americanisations of a great British show that completely works (probably because it still has the original British writers involved! :lol: ).

And I do need to rewatch Dead Like Me soon. What have been your thoughts on the 2nd season then, Fernando?

fernandito
04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I've really enjoyed it, maybe even more than S1 actually. It's a bit bittersweet though, knowing that there's only a few ep's left :(

DoctorDodge
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
I know what you mean. I almost wish they had made more...then i hear about how bitterly dissapointing the dvd movie was, which I've gladly avoided. I will say that I may enjoy 1 a little more, just because of how challenging it got to watch compared to 2 at times. A lot of the time, when George fucked up, she really fucked up, but you always felt the greatest sympathy for her. You didn't get that so much with the 2nd season. Still greatly enjoyed it though, due to the development of many characters, really.

DoctorDodge
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
WRN: ep 2 of Veep.

Heather19
04-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I watched an episode of Veep last night (the new one I guess?), very funny :lol:

Also about to wrap up Dead Like Me, only 5 episodes to go.

Yay! And just in time to start the next series you're going to undertake ;)

And like DD said there's a film that continues on the story, but I cant really recommend it. I think you're better off just skipping it which is a shame.

Yaksha
05-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Just finished S1 of Sherlock and about to watch S2. How the hell have I not watched this before? This show is amazing.

DoctorDodge
05-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Wait: you mean to tell me you're only now watching it? :P But yes, it is absolutely amazing. I love it. And if you thought The Great Game was good, wait until you reach The Reichenbach Fall!

Yaksha
05-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Yes I am just now watching it. I have a shit ton on my to watch list and with my job it is very hard for me to watch tv at all. But yes The Grest Game was freakin great. I am staying up later than I should be just so I can watch the next episode

DoctorDodge
05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Awesome. Btw: re-watching Iron Man right now, which should be followed by Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America over the weekend, in prep for the Avengers, which I'm hoping to see on May Day. Really pumped to see that, but the Iron Man films are the only ones I've seen so far, and I haven't even watched to the very end of those.

DoctorDodge
05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
This should please Pond - finally watching Thor.

alkanto
05-05-2012, 04:31 PM

:D :D

Watching: The Office from this past Thursday. It's just not the same...after Michael Scott left.

Ricky
05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I totally agree, Jen. There have been some really good episodes this season, but it just hasn't been up-to-par with past seasons. This Thursday's episode was one of the worst ones, I thought.

alkanto
05-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I legitimately didn't care for most of the plot. Usually, even with the sub-par eps, can at least pay attention....but during this week, I got up to make some food and didn't pause the DRV, was testing on my phone the entire time...

I suppose it didn't help that I had just gotten back from seeing The Avengers, which is literally one of the best movies I have ever seen (and yes, I am planning on typing up a bit of a review tomorrow to properly fangirl) so the comparison was even more drastic.

DoctorDodge
05-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Watching Right Now: Captain America: The First Avenger

And yes, I did find it very difficult not to say "fuck yeah!" after the "America" bit! :lol:

Ricky
05-06-2012, 06:56 AM
I legitimately didn't care for most of the plot. Usually, even with the sub-par eps, can at least pay attention....but during this week, I got up to make some food and didn't pause the DRV, was testing on my phone the entire time...

I know what you mean. I couldn't seem to pay attention to this one.

DoctorDodge
05-06-2012, 09:23 AM
WRN: Fringe - The Arrival.

candy
05-06-2012, 11:24 AM

I enjoyed Thor, it kept amusing me with the Thor and Asgard (being a stargate fangirl and all)

The question would be more apt as to what I am not watching right now, we got rid of sky so only have free view. Looking at the option of BT box set package, Netflix, LoveFilms or Virgin.??

I am however watching the Big Bang theory - thanks E4 for mixing all the series up, so I dont have a clue where I am, but i do have a strange crush on sheldon cooper:fairy:

Also just finished series 3 of Dextor,which was better than series 2

Ricky
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM

:excited:

I see you're still inching along. Just wait until the final minute of the S1 finale. You will be rewarded. ;)

Also just finished series 3 of Dextor,which was better than series 2

Blasphemy! :o

alkanto
05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Just got back from watching The Cabin in the Woods. I enjoyed it...might convince my mom to watch Sherlock with me later tonight :D

DoctorDodge
05-06-2012, 02:14 PM

:excited:

I see you're still inching along. Just wait until the final minute of the S1 finale. You will be rewarded. ;)

From what I looked at the last time I watched, it's been nearly a year since I watched the first 3 eps. Just didn't have quite enough to hold my attention the first time. Still, after seeing how much Melike seems to love both Fringe and Doctor Who and after comparisons between Walter and the Doctor, it's inspired me to give it another chance (yes, you can thank her later).

pathoftheturtle
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Matter of fact, it's just this week that Sherlock 2 reached broadcast over here.

fernandito
05-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Damnit, I need to start Fringe. It's been recommended to me by too many people for me to ignore it.

DoctorDodge
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Damnit, I need to start Fringe. It's been recommended to me by too many people for me to ignore it.

Yes, but you need to watch Sherlock first. As in, catch up on series 1 right now and then watch the recently broadcasted opening ep of series 2. The show is as close to perfection as I've ever seen in a tv series.

Ricky
05-07-2012, 06:33 PM

I think you'd love it, feev. The final season starts next Fall, so if you wanted you should be able to get caught up by then. :)

Yes, but you need to watch Sherlock first.

Lies! All lies!

Heather19
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM

I think you'd love it, feev. The final season starts next Fall, so if you wanted you should be able to get caught up by then. :)

Lies! All lies!

Yes, he's got another show on tap first, right Feev! ;)

Also I really need to get to Fringe as well. I've had the first season DVDs forever.

DoctorDodge
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Lies! All lies!

Watch it. Just watch it. Along with Nolan's Batman movies, one of the greatest adaptations of a popular character put to screen, with series 2 finale The Reichenbach Fall being one of, if not the, greatest piece of television I've ever watched.

Also, with each series being 3 ninety minute eps long, it's incredibly short, so once feev's done with that, he can start watching Fringe not long after!