PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching right now?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

alkanto
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Oh, I would watch the crap out of that :lol:

But still, I don't think Dredd just appeals to me that much at all. Not my type of movie, really....

DoctorDodge
01-16-2013, 04:15 AM
Shame. Like I said before, definitely one of the best comic book movies of last year, up there with Dark Knight Rises and Avengers.

Btw, did anyone else watch Utopia last night? Because bloody hell, that was just one of the darkest and strangest opening eps I've seen in quite a while. It's one of those shows where you're not entirely sure what's going on, but it's so well-made that you just don't care and ultimately want to watch more. Especially worth it for the characters, Wilson Wilson and Grant in particular.

Yaksha
01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Watched the first couple episodes of Arrow. Holy shit, that's how you do Green Arrow. I love this damn show. The cast is amazing. (Dodge, John Barrowman is in it) And I like how they are protraying the Oliver Queen character. Really good start let's see them keep it up.

DoctorDodge
01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
WRN: Looper. It's ok so far. Will rate after I finish.

Jean
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
watching: Le Temps de loup. The worst Haneke I've ever seen.

alkanto
01-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Black Books. I forgot how funny and absurd this show was. :lol:

Jean
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
watching: Caché

Ka-mai
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
WRN: Looper. It's ok so far. Will rate after I finish.

Basically the only thing I liked about that movie was watching Joseph Gordon-Levitt act like Bruce Willis. And Paul Dano.
That scene where his body is slowly disappearing was so incredibly disturbing. Unfortunately it was pretty much the most interesting thing that happened.

I don't like time travel movies that don't address paradoxes. If Joe kills his young self, his old self can't go back... etc. And if they dismember young Paul Dano, old Paul Dano can't run away from him as an adult. Uuuugh. I know Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was not the best movie, and maybe not the best book depending on who you ask, but the time travel made sense and fit into the plot. That's more of what I like to see.

DoctorDodge
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Agreed on preferring time travel when it makes sense. I'd love to be able to write a time travel story myself, with cause and effect and stuff like that. I think, oddly enough, some of the best use of time travel I've seen was sitcom Red Dwarf. Hell, it even resolved one of the biggest cliffhangers of the show by applying extreme time travel logic to it! :lol:

fernandito
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Sarah - no film really addresses time traveling paradoxes in the way that you want them to, it would be a futile attempt anyway ... like I said, the grandfather paradox is virtually unsolveabale.

Take Terminator 2 for instance - how can John Connor be the leader of the resistance if he isn't born til Kyle Reese goes back in time to impregnante Sarah? You just have to suspend belief even further and accept that the timeline is altered in some way.

pathoftheturtle
01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm watching "Continuum" now. Interesting so far. Not sure what convention they're basing it on regarding timestream elasticity.

Bev Vincent
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm watching Justified (current season) and the first season of Borgen, the Danish political series.

DoctorDodge
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Sarah - no film really addresses time traveling paradoxes in the way that you want them to, it would be a futile attempt anyway ... like I said, the grandfather paradox is virtually unsolveabale.

Take Terminator 2 for instance - how can John Connor be the leader of the resistance if he isn't born til Kyle Reese goes back in time to impregnante Sarah? You just have to suspend belief even further and accept that the timeline is altered in some way.

Oh, as far as time travel mythology goes, that one makes sense, to a degree. To quote Lost, with Terminator 1 at least, the rule is, "Whatever happened, happened." Reese was always meant to go back in time, he was always meant to meet Sarah, the discovery of time travel was always meant to happen. In other words, it's a genuine neat little loop with enough logic to make it work, so long as you add Fate to the equation. It's only with the sequels that it starts to get a little messy, but since T2 is so fucking awesome, I can forgive that.

With Looper, I definitely agree with Sarah: the time travel mechanics don't work so well.

The ending implies that the Rainmaker's mother was always meant to be killed by older Joe...even though we had already seen that Older Joe had already changed history/future whatever when he stopped his younger self from killing his older self, as was established in timeline A. The changing history of Looper is what makes the ending a little "off": old Joe was dead in timeline A, so how could he have killed the Rainmaker's mother and thus created the Rainmaker?

So I do like Looper, but yeah, I was just a bit unimpressed with the time travel mechanics, especially the ending. That's why I only enjoyed it as a character piece. (And yes, I do take this time travel stuff very seriously, it's something I really want to explore in a short story or novel someday.)

fernandito
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
So who created the original John Connor that sent Reese back in time? Couldn't we just apply the "always meant to" ideology to Looper as well?

Need to watch it again though, I don't remember the intricacies of the plot so clearly.

fernandito
01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I had actually bookmarked a discussion on IMDB about the ending back when the film first came out. Here is a post that stood out to me.

Joe wasn't psychic though (in regards to him believing that he was the SOLE cause of Cid becoming the Rainmaker). It wasn't him literally seeing into the future. He just saw with his own eyes what was about to happen (his future self about to shoot Sara) and made an educated guess as to what that would lead to and what would eventually lead him back there 30 years from that moment. But how does he know for sure that his mother's death is exactly what led Cid to becoming the Rainmaker? It could have been some other traumatic event in Cid's life that sent him over the edge. I have no problem in believing what happened at the end of the movie is what actually happens, but I still believe a part of the story is left up for interpretation.

Yes, I believe what was "explained word for word" at the end is what is going to happen, but you have to take into account that Joe doesn't actually know that THAT is in fact what made Cid the Rainmaker, but it's what he believes did. He didn't literally see into the future like a crystal ball. It was more of a prediction. With his own eyes, he saw what was about to happen and connected the dots. It was an epiphany or a realization. So, he made an instinctive judgment call. He knew that as long as he doesn't exist in the future, he could never come back to the past to kill Sara, and he believed that Sara's now present guidance would lead Cid down a different path, one that doesn't end in him becoming the Rainmaker. It's what Joe believed, and it's what the director wanted us, the audience, to believe. Or is it? Because what's to say that even with Sara's guidance now present in Cid's life, he doesn't still end up becoming the Rainmaker?

It's really just a debating point, for me at least. Because I personally loved the ending. It gave me chills, the fact that a man could believe in something to the point where he would take his own life to ultimately make the kid's life turn out better.

DoctorDodge
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Ah, that's a good point about the ending of Looper.

As for the Grandfather paradox and what's flexible and what's fate in time travel...this is why I'm really eager for you to get back to Who really soon, as the series 5 finale is full of 'em, not to mention that series 6's overall theme is fate and about choosing between trying to change it or face it.

Btw, WRN: Breaking Bad, S3 E10: Fly.

Ricky
01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Ohh, that was a good ep., James. I just finished Season 4 last (or the week before last?) week. Walt. :angry:

DoctorDodge
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I loved the ending of season 3. It really represents a clear image of Walter crossing the moral event horizon, imo. I'm eager to see what happens next in season 4, especially after that cliffhanger. Normally, I like to wait a month or so before watching the next season, but I think it might only be a couple of weeks this time. Really eager to see just how much darker Walter is going to get.

fernandito
01-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Ohhhh, you have no idea ... :lol:

Heather19
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Anyone watch that new show The Americans last night?

pathoftheturtle
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
No, I missed it, but -- Ach! -- just the thought, that they are now setting historical dramas in periods that I clearly remember experiencing. ><

Heather19
02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
I thought it was pretty good. Let me know if you watch it.

DoctorDodge
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
No, I missed it, but -- Ach! -- just the thought, that they are now setting historical dramas in periods that I clearly remember experiencing. ><

Don't feel too bad: there's a historical drama on now that I can clearly remember experiencing: My Mad Fat Diary. I don't know much about it, but it's set in Britain in the mid-90s. The Britpop soundtrack is pretty much the only reason why I might check it out.

alkanto
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Watching my way through DW season 5 again. I love them so much...and I want a Rory. I really want a Rory.

Melike
02-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Watching my way through DW season 5 again. I love them so much...and I want a Rory. I really want a Rory.

:huglove:
Season 5 is my first Who watch.

DoctorDodge
02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Onto season 13 of classic Who. Watched first story Terror of the Zygons, now watching Planet of Evil. Nice to have an alien world that doesn't feature a single fucking quarry!

alkanto
02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Date Night. I love this movie :lol:

Ricky
02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I've been meaning to do a re-watch for what seems like forever. I love the part where she's trying to get a picture with Will.i.am. :lol:

DoctorDodge
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Finally, after a year of waiting: Black Mirror - Series 2! Be Right Back, starring the English bird from Captain America!

Jean
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Watching: Berberian Sound Studio

DoctorDodge
02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Watching: Berberian Sound Studio

Awesome, Jean! :D Hope you enjoy it, or at least, I'll be interested in your opinion on it.

Watching: Doctor Who - The Seeds of Doom. Already on the final story of season 13, and it's been a bloody great one. This is one story I've watched a couple of times before, and it's still lovely to watch.

Jean
02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
36 minutes in, and enjoying it immensely

DoctorDodge
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7nw6m5WE1rqbtmi.gif

Suspected you'd appreciate it at the very least. Eager to read more of your thoughts on it afterwards. (Which reminds me, I still need to work on a review of my own.)

fernandito
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Shit, I need to get back to Firefly. Left off on ep 6 ..

DoctorDodge
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I just hope you can catch up on Who in time for the big five-oh in November. Be awesome to have you aboard by then, at least!

fernandito
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
are all the new EP's on instant play?

DoctorDodge
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Not sure on American Netflix. Think I've heard up to series 5 is, at least. They may have added series 6 by now, as well.

alkanto
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Netflix has season 6.

DoctorDodge
02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Finished The Seeds of Doom tonight, the finale to season 13 of Classic Who. Which means that I'm already halfway through the whole of the classic series. Now taking a short break from the main watch and watching season 1 story The Reign of Terror for the first time (which I had listened to before, but this is the first time watching it). Nice that, with it's release on dvd, I now have the closest thing possible to a complete season 1. :D

Jimimck
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Up to the middle of season 2, The Walking Dead

Didn't watch it when it was on normal TV, and so am catching up now.

LOVING IT!

Darkthoughts
02-14-2013, 02:29 AM
James - have you got the add on for UK Netflix so you can get the US stuff? It's for firefox, I can send you a link, its brilliant.

I'm currently obsessively watching Community - how did I not know about this?! It is superb!!

alkanto
02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Community!!!! That's one of my all-time favorite shows that nobody knows about :lol:

pathoftheturtle
02-14-2013, 05:42 AM
I don't always LOL watching "Community," but when I do, I LMAO!

DoctorDodge
02-14-2013, 11:18 AM
James - have you got the add on for UK Netflix so you can get the US stuff? It's for firefox, I can send you a link, its brilliant.

Nah, not yet. Might get it, once I'm all caught up on shows like Breaking Bad and House of Cards (both versions).

Watching Right Now: "Can you seeeeeeeeeeeee the reeeeeeeeeal meeeeeeeeee, Doctor? DOCTOR?" Not that I have the time for re-watches, but it IS Quadrophenia. Valentine's Day is all about love, and I fucking LOVE this movie! :lol:

Jean
02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Watching Right Now: "Can you seeeeeeeeeeeee the reeeeeeeeeal meeeeeeeeee, Doctor? DOCTOR?" Not that I have the time for re-watches, but it IS Quadrophenia. Valentine's Day is all about love, and I fucking LOVE this movie! :lol:
I like your logic. I think I should be re-watching Cul-de-Sac, then. An ideal film for St.Valentine's Day...

DoctorDodge
02-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Totally, bears.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww316/raygunronica/IT-fistbump.gif

"I have a friend who wears a sweater exactly like that."
"This is a man's sweater."
"I know, she only wears men's sweaters." :lol:

Jean
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
"Well, you ain't exactly white in that sort of get up, are you?"

James, once we start we can go on like this forever...

DoctorDodge
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
True, but I gotta mention my favourite:

"It's like bleedin' Calcutta round here."
"Calcutta's in India."
"Yeah, that's where they all come from, West India." :rofl:

At least we're not quoting Life on Mars. Quoting 2 films of 2 hours of perfection each is bad enough - quoting 16 hours of pure perfection is even worse!

Jean
02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
James, I know what we should do once: choose a day, choose a topic (the point is that the topic should be developed, logically and more or less coherently) and talk only in quotations!!

DoctorDodge
02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Fuck yes, brother bears! Sounds like a challenge (especially since so many of my favourite quotations barely make any sense in context, let alone out of context), but definitely something worth attempting, at least.

alkanto
02-14-2013, 03:46 PM
How do you guys rank those types of movies? Speaking here mostly about British films of course, of which I've seen 3 big ones. This is England, Withnail & I, and Quadrophenia. I feel like I'm missing out on something...because Quadrophenia is easily 3rd on that list. I'm just not as big of a fan of it...

DoctorDodge
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Da-yamn. Really difficult to say. Withnail & I would come out on top, but barely. Quadrophenia I'd probably place 2nd. For me, it was kinda like watching The Godfather for the first time - after hearing so much hype about it, (I don't know about the rest of England, but with everyone I know, especially every single one of my family, it's a film you just have to watch), you expect to be disappointed by it, when it actually does the opposite and exceeds your expectations. This Is England is just about 3rd place, and you know how much I love everything about This Is England, including the tv series. But yeah, Quadrophenia just about beats it - that last half hour as Jimmy's life just keeps on crashing down is absolutely powerful to watch.

alkanto
02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
I think I may need to rewatch it, then. There certainly does seem to be appeal. But maybe I didn't watch it in the right setting, or something? Who knows? Because I would love to love it as much as, say This is England.

DoctorDodge
02-15-2013, 03:05 AM
Maybe. It may be one of those films that simply doesn't have as much appeal for you as W&I and TIE, but if ever you do find the time to re-watch it and your thoughts have changed, I'd love to hear more on 'em.

As for my original thoughts on what I loved about it when I first watched it, here's a review from a couple of years back: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10359-Rate-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw.&p=541170&viewfull=1#post541170

Re-reading this though, I think I need to do another review for it, as there's a lot that I missed even the first time, particularly how truly clear and unambiguous the ending really is upon rewatch.

DoctorDodge
02-16-2013, 05:56 AM
WRN: Wall Street.

Darkthoughts
02-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Community!!!! That's one of my all-time favorite shows that nobody knows about :lol:

I don't always LOL watching "Community," but when I do, I LMAO!
It's so good. I'm on season 2, I heard though that Dan Harmon is not involved in season 4...which is ridiculous! Is that out over there yet...is it the same?

alkanto
02-16-2013, 09:00 AM
In regards to season 4, we've had 2 episodes air already and it's good. Not amazing, but good...you can tell that Harmon is no longer with it. I watch and just keep thinking "Dan Harmon wouldn't have liked that joke. Harmon would have edited this differently" and stuff along those lines. It just has a different feel about it. And while it is still funny, I don't actually laugh nearly as much. Most things merely elicit a chuckle. But since it as been almost a year since season 3 aired, at least it's better than no Community! (is what I keep telling myself...)

Coulrophobia
02-16-2013, 09:21 AM
WRN: "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" I find myself holding my breath during this movie many times for many reasons.

Jean
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
As for my original thoughts on what I loved about it when I first watched it, here's a review from a couple of years back: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10359-Rate-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw.&p=541170&viewfull=1#post541170
Do! I want to re-watch it, and I need a pretext.

alkanto
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Watching: Twin Peaks. This has been on my list for a while now, and I have a few free hours...so far, so good.

Jean
02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I remember adoring it. A long, long time ago...

Ricky
02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
I watched the first season online a year or two ago and really didn't have any interest to continue past that point. I was kind of underwhelmed.

pathoftheturtle
02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
O.o Not hooked by the 1st season of "Twin Peaks"...? o.O

Jean
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I watched the first season online a year or two ago and really didn't have any interest to continue past that point. I was kind of underwhelmed.

oh, now I might be, too. But it was twenty years ago... right after the Communism collapsed... it was so - I don't know - extraordinary! I really really loved it at that time

Darkthoughts
02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
In regards to season 4, we've had 2 episodes air already and it's good. Not amazing, but good...you can tell that Harmon is no longer with it. I watch and just keep thinking "Dan Harmon wouldn't have liked that joke. Harmon would have edited this differently" and stuff along those lines. It just has a different feel about it. And while it is still funny, I don't actually laugh nearly as much. Most things merely elicit a chuckle. But since it as been almost a year since season 3 aired, at least it's better than no Community! (is what I keep telling myself...)

I thought that might be the case :( I might actually just watch season 3 and leave it at that. As you and Mike have both said, it's proper laugh out loud writing, even my eldest came home the other night (as I was watching it) and said, "You never laugh at tv like that!" :D

pathoftheturtle
02-18-2013, 07:18 AM

oh, now I might be, too. But it was twenty years ago... right after the Communism collapsed... it was so - I don't know - extraordinary! I really really loved it at that time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrof3j72EpA

fernandito
02-18-2013, 09:17 AM
I need to watch Twin Peaks soon, it's been on my to-do list forever.

alkanto
02-18-2013, 09:20 AM

I thought that might be the case :( I might actually just watch season 3 and leave it at that. As you and Mike have both said, it's proper laugh out loud writing, even my eldest came home the other night (as I was watching it) and said, "You never laugh at tv like that!" :D

If it were me, just get to the end of season 3 and decide from there. It all depends on if you think that ending is a good ending. Because what we have now is still better than most shows. It's just...not up to par with the first 3 seasons.

Darkthoughts
02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I just watched the blanket fort ep...I kinda just want to blanket fort the entire house!!

Heather19
02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I need to watch Twin Peaks soon, it's been on my to-do list forever.

Do it!
I love Twin Peaks.

DoctorDodge
02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Finished latest ep of Black Mirror. Anyone not watching this is seriously missing out: one of the darkest, disturbing and twisted satires/anthologies I've watched for quite a while. For the longest time, I thought tonight's ep was going to turn out to be weak, then it ended and I thought it was brilliant. I think tonight's ep is definitely going to get better on rewatch. Only one more to go, unfortunately. Might be time I rewatch series 1 again, I think.

Darkthoughts
02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
I've got Black Mirror on my list once I finish Community. I haven't seen either of them, but they're both on 4oD I think.

Last ep of Utopia tonight!!!

DoctorDodge
02-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Damn, missed the last 2 eps, first due to studying, 2nd because I was catching up on everything else. Might watch the rest of the series when it's out on dvd, possibly. Right now, need to catch up more on A Clash of Kings in time for the blu ray release of Game of Thrones: Season 2 in a couple of weeks.

thegunslinger41
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
The Following

The Americans

DoctorDodge
02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
WRN: El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in their eyes)

Jean
02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
!!!

fernandito
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ^

Jean
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
James, don't omit to tell feverish and bears your impressions as soon as you can (it's one of the preciously few films where our opinions don't differ)

DoctorDodge
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Ah, so that's why it was on my list. Yes, I think I vaguely remember at least one of you strongly recommending this film, but I had no clue what it was about, so even when it arrived a couple of months back, I didn't get round to watching it until now. However, I'm currently halfway through, and I am really enjoying it, due to the characters, the dialogue, (the combination of both, mixed in with the detective aspect of the film, reminds me of the best of Life on Mars, from time to time), the cinematography, everything I've seen so far I've loved.

alkanto
02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Does anyone else here love cooking shows? I'm doing a marathon of Chopped tonight. I love it :D

Ricky
02-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Umm...I have Food Network turned on about 90% of the time, so yes. :lol:

Paula Deen is my grandma.

alkanto
02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
As soon as I saw you replied, Ricky, I knew you would be a kindred spirit :lol: Also, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before. either way, we are too cool for school :P Are watching it right now? Because there's a weird French (?) guy and I literally understand about 1/3 of what he says....

fernandito
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
My brother watches tons of cooking shows, he is a beast in the kitchen. I'm pretty much his guinea pig everytime he wants to try his hand at a new dish :lol:

Ricky
02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
As soon as I saw you replied, Ricky, I knew you would be a kindred spirit :lol: Also, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before. either way, we are too cool for school :P Are watching it right now? Because there's a weird French (?) guy and I literally understand about 1/3 of what he says....

:couple:

I wasn't watching last night, but I did see that Chopped was on! There are some weekends where I don't have/want anything to do, and Food Network is literally on all day. :lol:

Jean
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
re-watching Shutter Island

did anyone already notice that Caprio pronounces "escape" as "excape"? I didn't hear iit the first time I watched, and now I first thought I didn't hear properly, but it keeps repeating...

DoctorDodge
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Ah yes, bears. I remember how much you greatly enjoyed it the first time.

Seriously, why the hell are you rewatching it? I remember how under-whelmed you were the first time. Is your opinion of it likely to change at all?

Jean
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
well, yes. My expectations were high, and I tried to watch it as a film. Now I am watching it as a horror movie, and find it very good quality, thoroughly entertaining, and altogether satisfying.

DoctorDodge
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Interesting. Very surprising. I may have to do the same. The problem for me was that it was bound to me one of those movies where the ending is predictable even though it was meant to be "shocking", so that may have thrown me off the first time. I liked some of it, though. After my ongoing Who-watch, maybe. (13 seasons down, 20 more to go.)

Jean
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Now that you legitimately know the ending (as opposed to "shit, I knew it!" and "no, not again!", which certainly ruins the pleasure) I think the experience should be more enjoyable.

pathoftheturtle
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Several scenes are a pleasure to watch just for the performances. How many times I could sit through the whole film, though, I don't know, and I originally rated it fairly good.
did anyone already notice that Caprio pronounces "escape" as "excape"?Dialect.

Stebbins
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Watching my bedtime movie at two and three: Batman Returns. I forgot just how awesome it is and that Tim Burton did the first two :redface:

DoctorDodge
02-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Here's something that'll please both bears and Mattrick - WRN: Pontypool.

Jean
02-23-2013, 07:56 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

jhanic
02-23-2013, 01:14 PM
USA is running Shindler's List (uncut and commercial-free) tonight.

John

alkanto
02-23-2013, 01:30 PM
I am rewatching BBC's Sherlock. I freaking love this show...

Ben Staad
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Some crap movie called "The Signal". Sounded a bit like "Cell" but turns out to be like hell. Pure torture watching this thing.

Ricky
02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Just saw Lincoln. Very, very good. If Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win for Best Actor, I'll be shocked. He was phenomenal.

DoctorDodge
02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
FINALLY watching British werewolf horror Dog Soldiers. I've heard a lot of good things about this one.

Shannon
02-23-2013, 10:55 PM
TV shows Amber and I are watching this cycle and the next cycle:

This cycle:
2 Broke Girls: Season 2
American Dad!: Season 8
Anger Management: Season 2
Beauty And The Beast (2012): Season 1 (Amber's show)
Ben And Kate: Season 1
Doctor Who (2005): Season 7 (on break, unfortunately)
Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23: Season 2
Family Guy: Season 11
Glee: Season 4 (Shannon's show)
Go On: Season 1 (Amber's show)
Grey's Anatomy: Season 9
Grimm: Season 2 (Amber's show, on break)
Guys With Kids: Season 1
Haven: Season 3 (Amber's show)
How I Met Your Mother: Season 8 (Shannon's show)
King Of The Nerds: Season 1
Lost Girl: Season 3 (Amber's show)
Nashville: Season 1
New Girl: Season 2
Nikita: Season 3 (Shannon's show)
Once Upon A Time: Season 2
Parks And Recreation: Season 5 (Amber's show)
Raising Hope: Season 3 (Amber's show)
Revenge: Season 2 (Amber's show)
Revolution: Season 1 (on break)
Robot Chicken: Season 6
The Cleveland Show: Season 4
The Neighbors: Season 1
The New Normal: Season 1
The Office (2005): Season 9 (Shannon's show)
The Walking Dead: Season 3
Warehouse 13: Season 4 (Amber's show, on break)

Next cycle / when we get done with cycle one shows:
Archer: Season 3 (we're a season behind)
Arrow: Season 1
Being Human (2011): Season 3
Chicago Fire: Season 1
Cult: Season 1
Legit: Season 1
Shameless (2011): Season 3
Smash: Season 2
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 5 (we're a couple seasons behind, but we pretty much just watched seasons 1-4 in a month, SO good!)
Spartacus: Season 4 (War Of The Damned)
Survivor: Season 26
The Following: Season 1
Touch: Season 2
Zero Hour: Season 1

DoctorDodge
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
WRN: A Touch of Cloth again. One of the funniest spoofs I've ever seen. "Kept himself to himself, never been found dead before, so this is out of character." :lol:

Coulrophobia
02-24-2013, 04:59 PM
WRN: The Oscars

DoctorDodge
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
WRN: Black Mirror: The Waldo Moment. Final one of the series already. :(

DoctorDodge
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
WRN: Fringe: Over There, Part One

Ricky
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Enjoy!

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 05:19 AM
Watching either The Avengers or Skyfall for the first time today.

Merlin1958
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Now that you legitimately know the ending (as opposed to "shit, I knew it!" and "no, not again!", which certainly ruins the pleasure) I think the experience should be more enjoyable.

Coincidently, this was just recently on one of the cable channels. It was definitely not as good the second time around (knowing the WTF), yet it had charm in watching a great director weave a tale the ---- time around!!!

Great film!!!

Ka-mai
03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I just started Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm giving it a chance because last time I thought a Whedon series' early episodes were cheesy I became obsessed with it. Can anyone tell me when/if it stops being cheesy? Or at least becomes the cool kind of cheese?

pathoftheturtle
03-01-2013, 05:10 PM
It will always be cheesy. But eventually you won't be able to tell. It will change you into one of those.

Merlin1958
03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I just started Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm giving it a chance because last time I thought a Whedon series' early episodes were cheesy I became obsessed with it. Can anyone tell me when/if it stops being cheesy? Or at least becomes the cool kind of cheese?

I have to admitm I LOVED Buffy!!!! The series was good and they never took themselves too seriously. Buffy could slay me anytime!!!! LOL

fernandito
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I never could get into Buffy ...

DoctorDodge
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6j70iI4pA1qcn94a.gif

Well, maybe I'm not that surprised. I just wanted an excuse to use that gif.

Btw, watched new detective drama series Broadchurch tonight. Normally, I don't bother with shows like that, but it's got a cast of some of my favourite current British actors, including David Tennant, Olivia Colman and Vicky McClure (who looks really good with normal hair). I thought it was ok, but it's got a long way to go before it impresses me - not only is Tennant's character really straightforward atm, there are some moments that, despite the dark subject matter, I had to stop myself from laughing at from watching too much of parody A Touch of Cloth. Still, there are some moments of humour that are sprinkled throughout, which I always find important, so long as its done right, and being the first of an 8 part story, I'm hoping that both the characters and the story get fleshed out more over the coming weeks. Really though, it just leaves me itching even more to just rewatch Cracker - after watching that, no Scottish dark detective characters (of which there are surprisingly many) has come close to matching the brilliance of Fitz. "I rehearsed the death of my father for years..."

alkanto
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Arthur Darvill is in that, so I'm fairly interested. I don't have time to watch it now, but at some point...I think it looks interesting.

Heather19
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
DD how was Dog Soldiers? Is it worth a watch?

Shannon
03-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Dog Soldiers is probably my favorite werewolf movie. :)

DoctorDodge
03-05-2013, 12:11 AM

Dog Soldiers is less a scary werewolf movie and more a fun one. Not just awesome to watch a bunch of army guys fighting werewolves (which I was pretty impressed by, overall), but occasionally pretty hysterical to watch (in the good way, not the so-bad-it's-hysterical way). My favourite werewolf movie is still An American Werewolf in London, but Dog Soldiers is probably a close second.

Jean
03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
watching: The Machinist. So far very enjoyable.

Heather19
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Dog Soldiers is probably my favorite werewolf movie. :)

Dog Soldiers is less a scary werewolf movie and more a fun one. Not just awesome to watch a bunch of army guys fighting werewolves (which I was pretty impressed by, overall), but occasionally pretty hysterical to watch (in the good way, not the so-bad-it's-hysterical way). My favourite werewolf movie is still An American Werewolf in London, but Dog Soldiers is probably a close second.

Excellent, added to my queue. I've heard good things about it, but no one that's actually seen it.

watching: The Machinist. So far very enjoyable.

Oh, that's a great one Jean!

Jean
03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
yes! more than halfway through - still very good

fernandito
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Dog Soldiers is awesome. I watched that back when it was on VHS lol.

Ahhh, memories ...

Ka-mai
03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
So I'm watching Buffy, and it turns out Angel is creeping on her while she's 16 and in high school. I thought that was super creepy in Twilight, but blamed it on Stephanie Meyer being a complete fucking moron. Now that Joss Whedon's done it, I'm confused and sad. I feel like he's betrayed me. How hard would it have been to set it at a university?

I still haven't decided if I like it or not. It's cheesy and has statutory stalking, but I can't stop watching.

DoctorDodge
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
It gets a lot better as it goes on. Season 1 was pretty cheesy, very monster-of-the-week, but season 2, at a certain point, the shit gets real: the villains are more interesting (hell, I was practically rooting for them more than once), and the arcs and drama are better developed. (Not that I mind monster-of-the-week series - considering I'm a fan of a series that practically lived on monster-of-the-week eps for nearly 50 years - but it's not what Buffy did best. Also, yeah, I can see your point about the Angel/Buffy thing being just a little bit creepy. Why I'm not a huge fan of Doctor/companion romances - most of the time, at over 900 years old, he's usually centuries older, so a clear romance isn't quite so believeable unless that companion is very special.)

Shannon
03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Aren't all the companions special?

Especially Rose. :)

Ka-mai
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Exactly. I realize that vampires (and doctors, I guess) need love too, and that's hard to pull off in a realistic manner when you're talking about immortal beings, but really, high school? You couldn't have sent Buffy helpful emails until she graduated? I realize it's fantasy, but I think it sends a bad message to girls that when you become 16, really old guys will hang around your school and try to date you, and that is totally okay because they're just misunderstood.

So I guess I'll keep going until season 2... I remember liking Oz way back when the show was on, and I keep hearing how cool Spike is, so I want to at least get into those characters first.

DoctorDodge
03-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Aren't all the companions special?

Especially Rose. :)

Hmmm. Rose was pretty cool, but honestly, I didn't like how obvious their relationship was made to be a romantic one at times in the second series - what I loved about their relationship in the first was that it was a little more ambiguous as to what the nature of the relationship was. Sometimes, there was tension, yes, but other times it was a very deep friendship, and again at other times it was more of a mentor/student thing. So I liked that wide ranging aspect, whereas with season 2, the romantic aspect was focused on too much, imo.

And when I say "special", perhaps that was the wrong word to use. (But you're right, they're pretty much all special, which is another reason why I'm not that big a fan of the Doctor/Rose relationship, although I can just about accept it - after 26 seasons of (mostly) platonic relationships with young human women, it seemed odd that only now he'd fall for one.) What I mean is that it's easier to believe that if he would develop a connection with someone, it'd be someone who'd see things from his unique perspective as both an alien and a time traveller, which is why I'm a fan of Doctor/Romana (a Time Lady the Doctor travelled with from the classic series) and Doctor/River (because at first you don't know what the hell their relationship is, and neither does the Doctor).

alkanto
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
All I wil say about Rose is that I LOVED her and Nine. And I realize that she had a huge impact on how Nine became Ten, but with Ten, she just got to be too much....to the point where I didn't even cry after Doomsday :ninja:

Melike
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree with both Jen and James. I loved Donna, Martha and Ponds more. Much more.

DoctorDodge
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Was going to go into more detail in this, but then moved it into the relevant thread, as I do have some pretty strong opinions on Rose's development.

Anyway, WRN: Superman. Don't know why, just been in a bit of a Superman mood, lateley.

Ka-mai
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
And James has converted yet another discussion into Doctor Who. :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Well, like I said in my last post, I did at least have the decency to move the conversation to the relevant topic, didn't I? Btw, since you brought it up: when are you going to get back to watching Who so you can join in with us? :P

pathoftheturtle
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-wrFaqNj4

Ka-mai
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Well, like I said in my last post, I did at least have the decency to move the conversation to the relevant topic, didn't I? Btw, since you brought it up: when are you going to get back to watching Who so you can join in with us? :P

When they make it free on Amazon like Buffy is. :P

DoctorDodge
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Not able to get Netflix, then?

Ka-mai
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I already have the Amazon subscription and money is kind of tight, so I'm reluctant to add Netflix on there. Also, I have to graduate and find a job during the next couple months, and I do not need another distraction. I already have Pinterest. :ninja:

DoctorDodge
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Fair enough. Fingers crossed those cheap bastards let you watch it for free soon!

Jean
03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
watching: Another Year. Bloody heartbreaking. I keep laughing all the time, and feeling there's really nothing to laugh at. I've had more conflicting feelings - and thoughts - in this first hour of the film than I've had in months. (no, not "mixed feelings" about the film, which is superb. Just feelings . Thoughts. About this motherfucking life.)

Bev Vincent
03-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Anyone watching Banshee? Brutal, fascinating series -- but I hardly ever hear anyone talking about it.

Still Servant
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Anyone watching Banshee? Brutal, fascinating series -- but I hardly ever hear anyone talking about it.

I've been meaning to watch this. I think it's because it's on Cinemax. I just think Cinemax isn't as popular or as respected as Showtime or HBO. I started watching Hunted (also a Cinemax show) with Melissa George and it's pretty decent.

Bev Vincent
03-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I started the first episode of Hunted and turned it off partway through. I think Melissa George is a terrible actress.

Merlin1958
03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Recently watched "The Godfather saga" on DVD that, Bruce (Needfulthings) was kind enough to burn for me!!! Great flick!!!

WeDealInLead
03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Does Haven get better after season one? This is just terrible. The three main actors do a good enough job but the stories feel underdeveloped and characters unbelievable.

Jean
03-10-2013, 10:24 AM
watching: Pontypool.

Yes.

: obsessed :

alkanto
03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
I just watched the first 2 eps of Vikings on the History Channel. It was really good...I'm excited for more.

Ka-mai
03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Battlestar Galactica. I like it so far, but I'm pissed we probably won't find out who's a Cylon until the very end. <_< I want to know now, damn it!

DoctorDodge
03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Love that show. One of the best scifi shows I've seen, certainly one of the few reboots I know of that is in my opinion even better than the original version.

fernandito
03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I pretty much went through the entire first season of American Horror Story over the weekend. I'm addicted. It's clearly influenced by The Shining, Amityville Horror, and The Sixth Sense.

ICry4Oy
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I pretty much went through the entire first season of American Horror Story over the weekend. I'm addicted. It's clearly influenced by The Shining, Amityville Horror, and The Sixth Sense.

LOVED season 1. Season 2 kinda goes all over the map but still an enjoyable romp. Season 3?

It will be set in New Orleans; Kathy Bates joins the cast! It is (only)
rumoured that it will be about witches. We'll see.

pathoftheturtle
03-12-2013, 10:34 PM
rollingstone.com/videos: Sarah Silverman, Michael Cera Launch JASH Comedy Channel on YouTube (http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/sarah-silverman-michael-cera-launch-jash-comedy-channel-on-youtube-20130311)

Heather19
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM

It's about time! :D
The first season is easily one of my favorite shows ever.

Jean
03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
would you recommend it to a bear?

Bev Vincent
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Does Haven get better after season one? This is just terrible. The three main actors do a good enough job but the stories feel underdeveloped and characters unbelievable.

It does. The first season is mystery-of-the-week, whereas the story develops a mythology starting with S2.

WeDealInLead
03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks. We just watched the the episode where the firestarter boy finds out it was him who caused all the deaths and after the girl (the lead actress) eggs him on (because he can set them on fire, melt their guns etc) he ends up self-immolating in anger. She used psychology for maybe 35 seconds flat,called him a loser and he got so angry he exploded in a ball of fire.

DoctorDodge
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
You've just described the only episode of Haven I've actually watched. :lol: Seemed ok, but not exactly "must-watch" telly for me.

WeDealInLead
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Seemed ok, but not exactly "must-watch" telly for me.

You just nailed it. That said, I'll finish season one... eventually.

alkanto
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks. We just watched the the episode where the firestarter boy finds out it was him who caused all the deaths and after the girl (the lead actress) eggs him on (because he can set them on fire, melt their guns etc) he ends up self-immolating in anger. She used psychology for maybe 35 seconds flat,called him a loser and he got so angry he exploded in a ball of fire.

That sounds exciting :lol:

Heather19
03-13-2013, 05:48 PM
would you recommend it to a bear?

I would. I think you'd enjoy it, especially now that you're back on your horror kick. Let me know if you watch it :)

Jean
03-14-2013, 02:23 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

Ben Staad
03-14-2013, 03:25 AM
Off topic (slightly!) but I am currently watching my son perform housework. It is a beautiful thing to behold and is easliy the best thing I have seen (excluding The Hobbit) since I moved to Germany.

candy
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Borrowed the box set of supernatural, on series 4 so far! Those Winchester boys are proving addictive.

Also back on with person of interest after a loooong half break. Thanks channel 5

Ka-mai
03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Still on BSG and loving it. Baltar is perfect. I really wish they'd resolve the Helo storyline, though, I feel like he's been just running around down there forever.

I am pretty sure Billy is a Cylon. He is too perfectly placed to be a normal person. :P But don't tell me!

mae
03-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Just Netflixed the shit out of How I Met Your Mother. All of Season 1 and most of Season 2 in a weekend. I don't know how I missed this show, especially since it's been on since 2005. Legendary!

DoctorDodge
03-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Still on BSG and loving it. Baltar is perfect. I really wish they'd resolve the Helo storyline, though, I feel like he's been just running around down there forever.

I am pretty sure Billy is a Cylon. He is too perfectly placed to be a normal person. :P But don't tell me!

Still need to finish watching the final season, but yes, definitely one of the best science fiction shows I've watched. I'll be sad when I do reach the end, really. (And agreed on Baltar - what a wonderful, wonderful character.)

fernandito
03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Another one of those 'all time great' shows that I need to watch. The Wire, The Sopranos, BSG.

FML.

DoctorDodge
03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
I know what you mean. Including the shows I'm actually currently watching, including BSG, The Wire, Fringe and Breaking Bad, I really need to check out Dexter and Six Feet Under and massively catch up on Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (once I'm done with volume 2 of the novels at least). I will say that, as a fan of the epic drama and political intrigue, you should enjoy the shit out of BSG.

pathoftheturtle
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
WRN: Bates Motel

:orely: No opinion yet.

pathoftheturtle
03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Chilling. They are so sympathetic in their reactions, and all along you know he'll turn Psycho. In the back of your mind, you're aware that all this is demented and dysfunctional. The acting is good, it is not a bad show, a fair degree of realism is used in the style... and, again, simply getting the audience to identify with the Bateses, just by making them likable and the plot understandable, is inherently disturbing.

Nothing spectacular so far. All I'm saying is that it's supposed to be a suspense story, and it is. That's working. Whether it is necessary, as in likely to actually add anything significant to the classic, I'm still unsure on, but I see no reason at this point to call it a fail.

DoctorDodge
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Cheers for the quick review, Mike. I've been wondering about Bates Motel, so I'm glad to know it's got potential, at least.

Ricky
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I fell asleep before the premiere on Monday (at 9:30. Lame, I know) so still haven't seen it. Hopefully tonight, though!

Heather19
03-22-2013, 06:32 AM
I need to give BSG another shot. I watched the premier movie years ago but couldn't get into it so never watched any more. Been wanting to try again.

Has anyone here seen Earth 2? It was very short lived, but I loved it at the time it was on. Also for you scifi fans, I recommend Seaquest DSV. It's one of my personal favorites. And the first season has some really great stories. It's scifi under the sea.

I know what you mean. Including the shows I'm actually currently watching, including BSG, The Wire, Fringe and Breaking Bad, I really need to check out Dexter and Six Feet Under and massively catch up on Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (once I'm done with volume 2 of the novels at least). I will say that, as a fan of the epic drama and political intrigue, you should enjoy the shit out of BSG.

Don't forget Psychoville :)

DoctorDodge
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
I haven't forgotten Psychoville, but then again, I also haven't forgotten Carnivale, Heather. :P

alkanto
03-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Is anyone else watching Vikings? I am really, really liking it. Haven't yet caught the newest ep, as I am on Spring Break right now and have been busy playing D&D, but I am seriously impressed...

Heather19
03-22-2013, 08:03 AM
I haven't forgotten Psychoville, but then again, I also haven't forgotten Carnivale, Heather. :P

But it's British...

DoctorDodge
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
So's Monty Python.

alkanto
03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
...hence the confusion I often have with British TV. A lot of it is good. But a lot of it is also really weird/strange. I know that's no different from American TV, but saying it's British doesn't automatically mean one or the other. Remember "Don't Scare the Hare?" :lol:

pathoftheturtle
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Most of Monty Python was pretty good. And a lot of it is also really weird/strange. Groundbreaking stuff, really.

DoctorDodge
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah. There's stuff I've liked of Monty Python and plenty of stuff I didn't like. I can appreciate it being groundbreaking, certainly, but definitely not on my list of all-time favourite comedies - hell, it's not on my list of British favourite comedies. But like I said, I can definitely appreciate the influence it's had on many of my favourite shows, at least.

pathoftheturtle
03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
I can definitely appreciate the influence (Monty Python) had on many of my favourite shows, at least.Exactly -- remembered for being so creative. I thought that was what you were getting at, sort of: out of our comfort zones, expanded horizons... all of that jazz. :)

Ka-mai
03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
This is a movie, but...

I'm watching the 1990 Treasure Island with Christian Bale, Christopher Lee and Charlton Heston. I love it just about until they get to the island, and then I lose all interest. However, it does have young Jeor Mormont and Grand Maester Pycelle from Game of Thrones, plus Bale and Lee, so that is awesome. :P

Ricky
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I fell asleep before the premiere on Monday (at 9:30. Lame, I know) so still haven't seen it. Hopefully tonight, though!

Just watched it. Very good. I can't wait until Monday.

Heather19
03-25-2013, 06:32 AM
I still have the first ep sitting on my dvr waiting to be watched. I'll have to watch it tonight when I get home before the new episode.

Darkthoughts
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I ended up watching the first three eps of Parks and Recreation the other day, as I finally put BBC iplayer on my phone. I can't figure out if I like them or if they irritate me...

alkanto
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
I found that Parks and Rec got notably better after the first season. Stick with it...if you are even tempted to keep watching, please do! Or, if anything, skip to season 2. I didn't like it at first, but it does get really funny.

pathoftheturtle
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
I can't figure out if I like them or if they irritate me...So the plan worked.

Heather19
03-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Just got caught up on the first two episodes of Bates Motel. I'm liking it :D

Ricky
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
How was the second episode? I haven't gotten to it yet. :panic:

Heather19
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
It was really good. I actually had no idea Vera was in it, so that was a nice surprise. And Freddie is really good as Norman. He's a little odd and creepy. Oh and the guy that plays the cop will be playing Barbie in Under the Dome.

DoctorDodge
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
After the confirmation that there's gonna be no sequel, re-watching Dredd again. To remind me of the awesomeness I do have on film, at least. Be catching up on 2000AD afterwards to remind me of the huge amount of awesomeness I can look forward to in the comics, at least.

skyofcrack
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Don't know if this has been talked about before but I've been watching Revolution and I've noticed several references to SK's The Stand throughout the series. Some rather obvious and others more subtle.

1. Miles sarcastically says, "I'm Stu Redman and this is Frannie."
2. Early on a mysterious character is revealed only as 'Randall.' Later it's Randall Flynn.
3. There's an episode called, 'The Stand.'

There are other King references too like mentioning taking A Long Walk. Characters names like Charlie [McGee] and Danny [Torrance]. Miles said, "Let's Shawshank our way out of here." Obviously, the writers/creators are major King fans.

Jean
03-30-2013, 05:07 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

fernandito
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
IIRC the producers of the show officially cited The Stand as a heavy inspiration for Revolution. I wish I had the article handy.

Ricky
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Did anyone watch last night? Miles & Co. stopped in a new town and the library had a whole section of Stephen King novels. There was even a sign. :lol:

I saw DTVI and The Stand, but no other specific ones.

DoctorDodge
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Apologies to Fernando, but...

WRN: Pusher (UK remake)

Couldn't resist a film that's got the underrated Richard Coyle in a leading role. Will get round to watching the original trilogy.

alkanto
04-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I am watching Chopped...and am getting very hungry :drool:

fernandito
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Apologies to Fernando, but...

WRN: Pusher (UK remake)

Couldn't resist a film that's got the underrated Richard Coyle in a leading role. Will get round to watching the original trilogy.

I wish you knew how disappointed I am with you right now.

DoctorDodge
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Having watched the film, probably as disappointed as I was with Coyle. He can definitely do better.

Dan
04-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Late to the game, but started watching The Walking Dead on Netflix. I'm through episode 5.

WeDealInLead
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Late to the game, but started watching The Walking Dead on Netflix. I'm through episode 5.

Just in case you were tempted - don't read the TWD thread.

Dan
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Just in case you were tempted - don't read the TWD thread.

Thanks, I hate spoilers

Still Servant
04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
It was really good. I actually had no idea Vera was in it, so that was a nice surprise. And Freddie is really good as Norman. He's a little odd and creepy. Oh and the guy that plays the cop will be playing Barbie in Under the Dome.

I really liked the first two episodes. I was a little bummed that the show was taking place in the present day, but it's growing on me. The cast is very strong. I've loved Vera Farmiga since she was on a short lived USA show called Touching Evil with Jeffrey Donovan. Also, I'm loving Nestor Carbonell as the cop. I loved him on Lost. I thought he was always one of the more underrated characters on that show.

Should be interesting to see where they take it from here.

skyofcrack
04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Did anyone watch last night? Miles & Co. stopped in a new town and the library had a whole section of Stephen King novels. There was even a sign. :lol:

I saw DTVI and The Stand, but no other specific ones.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/Revolution_SK_Stand_zpsc3f1de0f.jpg

"Enjoy this one, it's about the end of the world." :D

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/Revolution_SK_Sign_zpsad6954da.jpg

ICry4Oy
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I love all the King references in Revolution. Now they're heading towards "the tower".

Stebbins
04-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Over the past three or four weeks I have been watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". There is one every weekday on Encore Suspense; most are based on stories published in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine or Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. I rather like the black and white shows and the fact the commercials have been cut. On my next visit to the library I'm going to see if they carry either of the two previously mentioned magazines so I can start to write for and submit my work to them :cool:

fernandito
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Fringe is now on instant play so I should be caught up with seasons 3 and 4 within the next month or so.

Then it's a waiting game for S5 to be available. :)

Stebbins
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
About to watch 12 Monkeys

Still Servant
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Have you seen it before? It's one of my favorite sci-fi films.

alkanto
04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Goonies :D

Stebbins
04-13-2013, 05:46 AM

Have you seen it before? It's one of my favorite sci-fi films.

Nope, that was a first-time viewing. It was very good. Great performances by both Willis and Pitt. Really liked the concept of this movie.

And watching your own death? Talk about some trippy shit!

Melike
04-13-2013, 06:40 AM
I am into Bollywood nowadays. After years full of Korean movies, it feels like I jumped from ice into fire.

DoctorDodge
04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Watching right now, for the first time in far too long: Almost Famous (Untitled Cut)

alkanto
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Just started The Reichenbach Falls again. Already sad...

Shannon
04-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Does anyone watch Arrow, Cult, Hannibal, How To Live With Your Parents, In The Flesh, Monday Mornings, Orphan Black, or The Following? They're on the list to start next ...

Ricky
04-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Just The Following.

Shannon
04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Good, not good? I love Kevin Bacon.

Ricky
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
It's a little generic in the beginning, but it really gets good after the first four eps.

Stebbins
04-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Contemplating watching The Dark Half tonight... any input of the matter?

pathoftheturtle
04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Simply for the sake of being completist, you should watch it at some time. Just make sure first, if your crappy-movie tolerance is not fully developed, to have barf bags on hand.

Stebbins
04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Simply for the sake of being completist, you should watch it at some time. Just make sure first, if your crappy-movie tolerance is not fully developed, to have barf bags on hand.

:lol: thanks Path. My hopes are not too high for it and I was thinking along those completest lines. Maybe I'll save it for tomorrow to go along with the whole 'Monday's suck' mantra.

alkanto
04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Finished ep 7 of Vikings. Can't believe there are only 2 episodes left. Those 2 are going to be a fucking whirwind of action, I can already tell. Thank the gods it go renewed for a second season :D

Heather19
04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Just started Battlestar Galactica. I think I'm up to about episode 6 now. So far it's ok, but I'm hoping it gets better. When does it start to get really good?

DoctorDodge
04-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Just started Battlestar Galactica. I think I'm up to about episode 6 now. So far it's ok, but I'm hoping it gets better. When does it start to get really good?

Oh dear, sounds like my experience with Carnivale! :lol: Tbh, season 1 was one of my favourite seasons, but it still remains great with subsequent seasons. Who knows, you may even like them more, as they build on more drama, relationships and themes afterwards. I just love season 1 cause it kinda balanced that stuff out with some really fast paced scifi awesomeness.

Heather19
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Oh no :lol: I'll try to finish season 1 but I'm worried if it doesn't get better I might just bail on it.

DoctorDodge
04-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Which really mystifies me, I must admit, as BSG is a lot like LOST: both have ongoing mysteries, both focus on a wide range of characters being in the kind of situation where they're pretty much constantly being put through hell, and both have some amazing finales...it's that with BSG, you can swap the "island" of the story for "epic space action"!

Shannon
04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
No.

fearless-freak
04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Twin Peaks

fernandito
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Which really mystifies me, I must admit, as BSG is a lot like LOST: both have ongoing mysteries, both focus on a wide range of characters being in the kind of situation where they're pretty much constantly being put through hell, and both have some amazing finales...it's that with BSG, you can swap the "island" of the story for "epic space action"!Jeez man I really gotta start watching that.

Shannon
04-18-2013, 04:42 PM
BSG is a great show. It's in my top fifteen TV show list. But it's not Lost. Lost is Number One, forever and always.

Heather19
04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Top 15, what are your others?

Shannon
04-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Fifteen TV Shows:
American Horror Story
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
Doctor Who (2005)
Firefly
Friends
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Nip/Tuck
The Office (2005)
Prison Break
Sherlock
Smallville
Spartacus
True Blood
The Walking Dead

Top Thirty Movies:
12 Angry Men (1957)
Aliens
Anchorman
Closer
Con Air
The Dark Knight
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Family Stone
Gladiator
Inception
Interview With The Vampire
Jurassic Park
Les Miserables (2012)
The Life Of David Gale
The Lion King
Love Actually
Meet Joe Black
Moulin Rouge
The Notebook
The Prestige
Pulp Fiction
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Saving Private Ryan
Slumdog Millionaire
The Social Network
Star Trek (2009)
The Terminal
Vanilla Sky
Wedding Crashers
Wicker Park

pathoftheturtle
04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Top Fifteen TV Shows:
American Horror Story
Doctor Who (2005)
Firefly
Friends
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Nip/Tuck
The Office (2005)
Prison Break
Sherlock
Smallville
Spartacus
True Blood
The Walking Dead
Hm. "Friends" started way back in 1994. Love those old classics, huh?

Shannon
04-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Friends is such a great show. The humor, the heart, all of it. Excellent, excellent TV show.

pathoftheturtle
04-18-2013, 11:32 PM
It was alright. But not like "M*A*S*H."

DoctorDodge
04-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Well, since I can never resist a good list:

Top 15 tv shows

Ashes to Ashes
Blackadder
Cracker
Dead Like Me
Doctor Who*
Life on Mars*
Red Dwarf
Sherlock
Spaced
Trigun
The Office (original)
The Sopranos
The Wire
The Sweeney

*While most of the shows on this list are in no particular order, these particular 2 are my joint favourite. Doctor Who's always been a big part of my life since I was 5, and Life on Mars is one of the few shows I aim to rewatch at least once a year. For me, just sheer perfection from start to finish.

Heather19
04-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Glad to see Dead Like Me on your list :thumbsup: Shannon, have you seen it? If not I'd highly recommend it. Also Pushing Daisies.

And now you guys have me thinking about what mine would be.

DoctorDodge
04-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Dead Like Me was, literally, a life changing show for me. I first watched it when it was exactly the right time for me to watch it, really. To not include it would just be wrong. Probably almost time for a rewatch, actually. Maybe not quite yet, but soon.

Heather19
04-19-2013, 05:58 AM
I was thinking the same thing. That's one that I've gone back and rewatched multiple times, and it's been awhile since I last watched it.

alkanto
04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Glad to see Dead Like Me on your list :thumbsup: Shannon, have you seen it? If not I'd highly recommend it. Also Pushing Daisies.

And now you guys have me thinking about what mine would be.

Pushing Daisies is one of my all-time favorites. I'm so sad it got cut short...Might as well make a list of my own at this point.

Supernatural
Vikings
Firefly
Pushing Daisies
Psych
Monk
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Community
Life on Mars

And that's all I got for now. I really don't watch that much tv, I guess? I watch a lot of stuff, but none of it could be really ranked as a favorite....

Shannon
04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I've seen Pushing Daisies. It was cute and quirky but nothing special. I've never seen Dead Like Me. I'll give it a shot eventually.

Ricky
04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Now you guys have me thinking about my lists. :orely:

fernandito
04-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I've never been a big TV guy, LOST is almost exclusively responsible for turning me into a fan of serialized TV. I haven't seen most of The Greats, but luckily Netflix's lofty selection is helping me make up for LOST time. Hyuck Hyuck.

As it stands, here is a list of the shows I have followed/have been following from start to finish. Some of them are the equivalent of junk food, others I consider true pieces of art.

LOST
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
The Walking Dead
Fringe
Six Feet Under (Season 2)
Dead Like Me

I want to eventually get around to watching the shows that are usually discussed in the all time greats list like Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos, The Wire etc.,

I started watching Mad Men recently, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. It's not grabbing me the way I feel it should have.

Doctor Who*

What's that? Never heard of it.

Yaksha
04-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Well, what the hell. In no particular order.

Supernatural
Lost
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Castle
The Walking Dead
Doctor Who
Sherlock
Young Justice
Fringe
Vampire Diaries
Arrow
Family Guy
Firefly
NCIS

fearless-freak
04-21-2013, 03:33 AM
Virus Buster Serge

Heather19
04-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone watching Hemlock Grove? Finished the first 4 eps. It's good, but I think I was expecting more. Almost kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks a bit. Just not nearly as good :lol:

alkanto
04-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I plan on starting it tomorrow, actually.

Watching Community and it's a body swap episode. This is awesome :lol:

fearless-freak
04-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Robotech

DoctorDodge
04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
The Last Broadcast, a "found footage" horror from the 90s. Pretty unsettling, I've gotta admit. Very low-key, with an unusual documentary approach where the found footage is discussed and analysed, but still, a pretty creepy early effort from a sub-genre that's gotten pretty stale in recent years.

alkanto
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Just got the pilot ep of the new USA show Graceland from OnDemand (won't air until June 6th officially, but it's up this week only, I think) and it was AWESOME. I am so excited to watch this all summer.

fearless-freak
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Mythbusters season 1

ICry4Oy
05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Anyone watching Hemlock Grove? Finished the first 4 eps. It's good, but I think I was expecting more. Almost kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks a bit. Just not nearly as good :lol:

I'm 3 episodes in and am enjoying it. I was afraid it would be like Twilight but have been pleasantly surprised that it is not!

DoctorDodge
05-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Re-watching: Life on Mars, episode 1. Let's see if I can squeeze in the entire wonderful series this bank holiday weekend. :D

(Oh, and just seen the bit where they leap over the desk in slow motion. Always makes me lmfao! XD)

Yaksha
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Season 3 of Fringe. Thank Gan I started watching this show. Simply amazing

Shannon
05-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Just started The Following, four episodes in. Really good so far, a solid 4/5.

Saw Iron Man 3 last night. 4/5. Great action pieces, but the PTSD freakouts and the jumping in and out of the suits got a little old after a while.