PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feel your drawing?

Sickrose
07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Since I read the DT series I knew it wouldn't be long till I re-read them. My last re-read was middle of last year. However, recently, I have felt the pull of the books and a strong urge to re-read. I have been thinking of it as my 'Drawing' and, given the nature of the series, it feels appropriate.

So, I wondered how often other people felt their drawing. Is it just for a certain book or the whole series?

I did look of there was a similar thread say sorry if there is or this is in the wrong thread - it's my first time posting a thread !

Letti
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Well usually I read more than one book. I read two or tree simultaneously. DT has been one of them for years.

DoctorDodge
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Well usually I read more than one book. I read two or tree simultaneously. DT has been one of them for years.

I'm exactly the same, Letti. In answer to your question, Sickrose, I always aim to read the series from start to finish, mainly because that's how I finished it the first time, but also because it's all one long story to me anyway. I'm an incredibly slow reader though, so it can take me between a year to 2 years to finish reading all 7 volumes. Also, I'll pause between volumes, so it can be between a month to 6 months to read the next volume, but sooner or later, the itch to read another volume begins to scratch. Currently on my 2nd read through the series, and just have the final volume to go. How long will it be before I get the itch to read the Gunslinger when I've finished the series? At least 3 months. Possibly more. I want to read more books that I haven't read yet, so I like to put it off as soon as possible. But like I said, sooner or later, I have to start reading the series again!

Brice
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I've been on one perpetual reread since I discovered the books. :)

alkanto
07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
I just felt drawn back a few months ago...when I immediately started my re-read :)

But, I feel the same thing with most of my books....but DT usually draws me back stronger than the other ones. For that matter, most Stephen King books seem to

flaggwalkstheline
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
i typically reread the series about every two years

LineofEld
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I always read all seven together and do it about once a year. But I also read all seven Harry Potters together (or however many there were at any given time over the last 6 years or so), again about once a year. This is almost ritualistic for me. I break things up every now and then with some other King or a gift from a friend, but I always end up back with Roland and Harry before long. Drawing is not a bad name for it at all!

Sickrose
07-07-2010, 04:06 AM
I am glad other people feel the same way :grouphug: I am busy reading books for uni at the moment (as well as working full time) bit the urge is getting pretty strong, think I might start a leisurely re-read of all seven.

There are other books I re-read every so often, another is 1984 by George Orwell.

Riostar
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I starte d are read in may when I saw something on this site about doing a re read during the summer. I'm half way through book 3 and this will be my 3rd complete re read. I plan to re read the 7th Harry Potter soon. i always love starting a re-read since I like 1,2 and 3 so much.

Savvy
07-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I am currently re reading, I'm on The Drawing of The Three.
This is the first time I have reread them.

gsvec
07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm one of those people who - although I had all the books - didn't do my first read of any of the DT books until VII was published, then read the whole series within a couple of weeks. Didn't start a reread until last month. I'm about 1/4 way into Susannah and I'm liking it so much more this time! Why did I wait so long???

Patricia
07-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I used to re-read about twice a year (I'm a quick reader, and can take out the series in just under 2.5 weeks if I really try, but I usually stretch it longer), but then put the series down for a few years, and I'm not sure why.

This may sound weird, but when I am reading the DT series, it does something to me. All good books leave me a little "book hung over" after I read them, but this series seems to have more of an effect. Maybe "book stoned" is a better term for it. Because of that, I almost feel like I have to limit myself!

Sickrose
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
I used to re-read about twice a year (I'm a quick reader, and can take out the series in just under 2.5 weeks if I really try, but I usually stretch it longer), but then put the series down for a few years, and I'm not sure why.

This may sound weird, but when I am reading the DT series, it does something to me. All good books leave me a little "book hung over" after I read them, but this series seems to have more of an effect. Maybe "book stoned" is a better term for it. Because of that, I almost feel like I have to limit myself!

I like the idea of a book hang over. It's exactly how it feels. I agree about the series it sure does have a strong affect on you as you read.

RainInSpain
07-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Oh, yessss! :excited: "Book-stoned" is exactly what I feel, too! Great way to describe the feeling.
I have to sort of restrain myself and re-read DT about once a year, or risk falling behind on everything in my "real life".
Right now I am on book 7 on the re-read of the English edition, book 1 of the Russian one (never liked it and never owned - does not sound like the real deal to me at all, but now bought it for hubby). Oh, and also book 5 of the English audiobooks.

Brice
07-29-2010, 03:41 AM
I try to stay permanently book stoned. :D

Jean
07-29-2010, 03:46 AM
I succeed.

alinda
07-29-2010, 04:49 AM
:thumbsup: These terms are bound to live long and very populer lives here on DT.com I'm sure of it.

ICry4Oy
07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
I guess I'm the weirdo in the bunch then. I've never wanted to read a book a second time - I don't even like watching a movie twice.

That would be especially true for the Dark Tower series of books. Reading them was nothing short of magical and even life-changing. I'm afraid that trying to take the journey again would diminish it for me. What's that old saying about not being able to go home again [/rhetorical]...

Letti
07-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I guess I'm the weirdo in the bunch then. I've never wanted to read a book a second time - I don't even like watching a movie twice.

That would be especially true for the Dark Tower series of books. Reading them was nothing short of magical and even life-changing. I'm afraid that trying to take the journey again would diminish it for me. What's that old saying about not being able to go home again [/rhetorical]...

:THUD:

Jean
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
double ::thud::

Letti
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I mean... it's like finding the love of your life (your other half,) and saying 'let's meet no more again, that wouldn't tbe the same anyway'. :confused:

ArikRattlehead
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Well, i finished the last book last than half an hour ago.
And in my lap i hold the first one.

RainInSpain
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Make that triple (::thud:: I mean)
The magic grows stronger each and every time (something to do with getting older, mayhap)

Jean
07-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Exactly. The book may be the same, but you are different. You form a different relationship with a book every time you read it.

RainInSpain
07-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Indeed. Different characters appeal to you at different points in your life.
It's interesting how some books do that to you and other flat out don't.

Letti
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Exactly. The book may be the same, but you are different. You form a different relationship with a book every time you read it.

I couldn't agree more.

Well, i finished the last book last than half an hour ago.
And in my lap i hold the first one.

You are a strong person.

ICry4Oy
07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Make that triple (::thud:: I mean)
The magic grows stronger each and every time (something to do with getting older, mayhap)

If I get any older I'll be farting dust. :(

I did TELL you guys I was a weirdo :rock: I'm also a gay man who doesn't dance, hates musicals and would rather drive nails into my ears than to ever listen to Liza Minelli or Barbara Streisand.:shoot:

.....and DJ Qualls makes me :nana:

DoctorDodge
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Not to mention you don't like old Doctor Who! Specifically, you don't like Tom Baker Who! I still don't understand how that's possible!

ICry4Oy
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Not to mention you don't like old Doctor Who! Specifically, you don't like Tom Baker Who! I still don't understand how that's possible!

I know right!:excited:

Might have something to do with him being so damned ugly? :evil:

DoctorDodge
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Pssh, who gives a fuck? Tom Baker fucking rules! And he's not even my favourite, for crying out loud!

ICry4Oy
07-29-2010, 12:29 PM
So, re-reading books? Yeah. No, don't do it :fairy:

Brice
08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Never?

Brainslinger
08-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I do reread books but not all that often. I have read the Dark Tower books a few times though. (I say few, the last three I've read twice.)