PDA

View Full Version : the DT movie thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Brice
05-27-2010, 05:31 PM
unfortunately, it seems there is, but this thread is for speculations and the like.

Sly
06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Roland : Steven Moyer(True Blood)
Eddie : Joseph Gordon Levitt
Odetta: Zoe Saldana
Jake : Aaron Refvem
The Man in Black : Michael Fassbender(Taken, Inglorious Bastards)
Cort : Wade Williams(Prison Break)
Allie :Laura Dern

Dean
06-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Reports of a Dark Tower TV series and movies have been in the news recently. Ron Howard, Akiva Goldsman, Brian Grazer and Imagine Films are in discussions with Steve regarding the adaptation of the series. Here's the word from Stephen:

"It looks good. Things are happening and they are happening fast but any reports you see might be taken with a grain of salt for the next couple of weeks. You will know the news from the official source as soon as we are able to post it."

Steve

Professor Askew
06-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I really think this could work as a television series. Pair the right production team with the right channel and it could work. You would want to ignore the novel divisions and rework the material to captivate the audience per TV season. Make sure the material is geared toward steady character development, the right mix of action and drama, and make sure the material builds up toward exciting cliffhangers at the end of each season. I have no personal preference over network television versus commercial-free cable because, like Lost, I care most about the DVD release in the long run. Though obviously the writers can get away with more on cable.

I would love to see The Dark Tower on the big screen but it would have to be a very long series like Harry Potter and unless a studio locks the project into a nine picture deal (doubtful), I'd rather take my chances with TV.

PS, as a side note, and since I've never posted here, I've always seen Lance Henriksen as Roland. But, that's just me.

KaMai19
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I just don't know how to feel about this...

It's one of those things that has potential to be brilliant or crap. I think I'd be content with something inbetween. Something that does justice to the story, the world, the characters. Even if it's not spot on I think I could forgive quite a bit as long as it was done in the spirit of the series.

I must admit, however, deep down I always kind of hoped Joss Weadon would be involved in something like this....

Dean
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I think the quality of the series depends on the network for sure, but anything with Ron Howard involved should be top quality.

I say bring it on. :rock:

CurtSeattle
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I didn't think Battlestar Galactica would be any good, but I was totally blown away at how good it was.

I think there is hope!!

Galdaran
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Good news.

But Ron Howard doesn't inspire me the Dark Tower Psychodelic Journey vibe we need.

boq
06-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Not sure. Although I love Ron Howard's "Apollo 13" and "A Beautiful Mind" - maybe because he did such a good job of dramatizing true events and getting the absolute best from the cast. Can't usually be that bothered with Russell Crowe but his portrayal of the plight of John Nash was outstanding.
I should check out some of Howard's fictional work... any recommendations?
I could see things going badly wrong though, attempting to televise The Dark Tower. The job of editing the story down into a screenplay would be monumental... though not impossible.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :)

Sly
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Hopefully Sci Fi or HBO will pick it up. I'd work well with True Blood as a lead in.

Aaron
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I sincerely hope that SyFy keeps its grubby paws off. They cannot be trusted with adaptations, especially fantasy stories. Tin Man and Alice were enough to make me lose all of my faith.

HBO is waaay too risky since they have a track-record of cancelling shows with good ratings and critical acclaim, just because they have a cheaper show they can replace it with. I love HBO shows, but would be royally pissed to only get half of the DT because their pockets arent deep enough.

I vote for Showtime or AMC.

Sickrose
07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I hsve been watching Deadwood and Wild Bill Hickock makes me think of Jonas. i think it's the long hair.

velcro_fly
07-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Steven Deschain - Stephen McHattie
http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Shoot_Em_Up-5-Stephen_McHattie.jpg

Mo-linoDeViento
07-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I believe it could work as a television series: there are certainly plenty of plot twists. However, I'd much rather see it as a movie series or a limited series of one-hour episodes...perhaps 10-15 of these episodes? Something concretely limited from the beginning, so writers don't have to twist/warp/stretch the original story too much to keep the show going for greedy viewers. 'Tis fragile. :rose:

It would obviously take quite a few of these to get the whole story out, and it would take ages, but I would be thrilled to see some sort of video adaptation of it, film or otherwise.

Matt
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
After what HBO and Showtime have been doing with some of these shows like Weeds, Deadwood, Rome and The Tudors I am starting to think TV would be great for it.

I wish they would do Conan!!

slacoss328
07-05-2010, 04:44 AM
I just finished my first read through, and at several times, during each book, I thought that this story would be great to see as either a TV series or long movies series. I just don't think that would be anyway possible to do it properly. The story is so rich with detail, with each scene and event fully giving to the overall arc of the story, I would hate for them to leave ANYTHING out. I could be wrong, but I think this would be a disaster in the making.

10luluff
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
yes please, i cant help having a huge crush on roland and as a big l o r fan and a aragorn fan of course it would make my life never life my day if he was cast as roland:huglove::thumbsup:

Dean
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
BTW, I copied and pasted my original post from Steve's official website. :cowboy:

RolandsConscience
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I always thought Steve Buschemi for Eddie, again if only he could be younger. Wise cracker, skinny enough to be an H addict and seems to be the right personality.

WarriorFromRheims
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
This is only my personal opinion, but I think Viggo Mortensen would be a perfect Roland. Just watch Appaloosa, and The Road.

katevondanzig
09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Hugh Jackman for Roland - As I have always imagined him that way ever since I started reading the books...as for Eddie I'm not sure - he always looks like a long haired rock star in my mind

Brainslinger
09-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Viggo's a good catch. I was thinking of Nathan Fillion too (although he doesn't look much like my mental picture) but he is probably too young. He'd need to tone down the humour too. Since he is an actor and therefore you take on different personalities, maybe that's unfair of me. It's just so easy to think of Mal Reynolds, and while both he and Roland both have a dry sense of humour it's a lot closer to the surface with Mal.

For the second question 'Who would YOU be?'

Oy. :)

EDIT- On seeing this:

Odetta: Zoe Saldana

my first thought was "too young". (Which makes a change. I usually find actors people suggest for Susannah too old.) On further investigation though the lass is 32! Probably a bit older than Suze from the books, but certainly within the age range, and looking at images on the net, she actually could look the part. I just had the mental impression from her role in Star Trek that she is much younger than she is mainly due to the character she plays.

RainInSpain
09-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Yep, Viggo seems to be a good fit for Roland, an obvious fit. Perhaps even "too obvious". I mean, every time a possibility of a DT movie is discussed (not necessarily on this forum), either VM or Hugh Jackman are inevitably named as first or second choices. Nothing wrong with that but I'd go with someone less well-known.

Besides, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea of the same actor playing two characters that have enough similarities between them. Not from the "type-casting" standpoint, rather, I'm not sure it makes sense to call for more comparisons where comparisons will be inevitable anyway (if only because both books are epics).

Doe
10-28-2010, 01:35 AM
I would Prefer an unknown for Roland, I tend to think its always the best way.

Otherwise I would go with this guy, Viggo Mortensen

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/RoninDoe/aragorn.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/RoninDoe/appaloosa_movie_image_viggo_mortensen__3_.jpg

Doe
10-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Er what?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-28-2010, 01:41 AM
I hsve been watching Deadwood and Wild Bill Hickock makes me think of Jonas. i think it's the long hair.

Jonas MUST be Sam Elliott.

RainInSpain
10-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Er what?

What's your question, exactly? :orely:

Doe
10-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Er what?

What's your question, exactly? :orely:

Oh, Nevermind, My post about my choices for characters was deleted by a spam buster, whatever the heck that is. Does that happen often on here?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
I for one, have never had a post deleted, as far as I know.

Jean
10-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Doe: you should be able to see your post now. It wasn't deleted, only waiting for approval; now that you have more than 5 posts everything you post will appear immediately.

RainInSpain
10-28-2010, 04:20 AM
I think it was because you are new to the forum (posts by new members require approval by the moderators), but as Jean (The Tenant) said, you are all set now.
This is where this rule is described: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6648

Doe
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Ah okay, thats fair enough :) Anyway sorry for the derailment!

haunted.lunchbox
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree with what seems like a majority...
Viggo Mortensen-Roland
I would love to see Thomas Dekker as young Roland
Kandyse McClure- Susannah
Neal McDonough- Man in Black
Kevin Durand- Tick Tock man

LadyHitchhiker
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
What about Whoopi Goldberg as Susannah?

haunted.lunchbox
10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Tom Hanks as Roland, Arnold Schwartinager for MIB.

Doe
10-30-2010, 12:15 PM
It would ruin the hell out of it for me if they used a typical holywood style, pretty person cast.

Roland played by Leo Dicaprio, Eddie by someone younger and stupider like Ryan Reynolds...No idea about anyone else...Beyonce as Suze maybe.

JacobChambers
11-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I think it has to be Clint...i know he's old...but they can do amazing things with CGI.

If not him, i vote Viggo.

Other than that i think Rosario Dawson would be an AMAZING Suz

haunted.lunchbox
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
I think it has to be Clint...i know he's old...but they can do amazing things with CGI.

If not him, i vote Viggo.

Other than that i think Rosario Dawson would be an AMAZING Suz

I'm all for Viggo.

TheJellyTouch
11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Been thinking about this for awhile. I don't know how many of you have watched the first season of Haven just end recently on Syfy but Lucas Bryant who plays Nathan would be an awesome choice for Roland. Even his character in Haven if fairly quiet and stoic, but troubled [err haha]. Anyway, I think he's in his 30s and could easily be tweaked a little bit to looked more weathered as Roland could.

He's my pick!

http://images.tvrage.com/people_galleries/50/149405/85784.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1674903/

end of haven spoiler:

YouTube - N/A 1X13 "Your the one person that I can absolutely trust"

lonely_cube
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm sure most of these have been mentioned, but:

Brandon Frasier as Roland
Steve Carell as Eddie
Queen Latifah as Susannah
Some random kid nobody's heard of as Jake

This originated when one of my friends realized people kept making bad movies based on great books, starring Brandon Frasier. Inkheart? Good book, awful movie, Brandon Frasier. Journey to the Center of the Earth? Same thing.

CyberGhostface
11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
“Frank did come to me, and I know Frank from before either one of us had a pot to piss in. Frank said, ‘Gee, I’d like to do Dark Tower.’ I said, ‘Frank, give me a break! You’ve got The Mist, The Monkey. You’ve got the prison stories. … Stop putting so much on your plate!’"

http://www.slashfilm.com/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/

:scared:

Really, King? Really? What the hell were you smoking when you turned Darabont down? You better hope that Ron Howard does a PERFECT job with this TV show/movie combo or else I'm putting the blame directly on you.

If I would trust *anyone* with DT it would be Darabont. The man's directed and written three of King's most well-received adaptations, and after I saw The Mist, I thought to myself "Man, if anyone were to do The Dark Tower, it should be this guy."

Darabont would have given us gold, and King turned him down. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-- :pullhair:

Seriously, this has to be one King's most boneheaded decisions right after Mordred.

fernandito
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you typed up there, Cyber.

John_and_Yoko
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
He turned Darabont DOWN? I thought DARABONT was the one who didn't want to do it because it was too huge of a project....

haunted.lunchbox
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
The Mist is easily one of my favorite SK works. I would go so far as to say my very favorite. I wasn't thrilled with the ending of the Mist in the movie... at all. He did a great job with the Shawshank Redemption, but that's a different type of movie entirely.

Ricky
11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
King turns down Frank Darabont, just about the only director who doesn't eff up King adaptations, but gives the greenlight to Ron Howard? WTF?

Doe
11-23-2010, 05:05 AM
eh..FU King :P

Doesnt make much sense to me this, I agree with the OP!

pathoftheturtle
11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
King turns down Frank Darabont, just about the only director who doesn't eff up King adaptations, but gives the greenlight to Ron Howard? WTF?Why not Ron Howard? Rob Reiner did a great job directing Stand By Me and Misery. I don't blame SK for not wishing to put all his eggs in one basket.
...Really, King? Really? What the hell were you smoking when you turned Darabont down? You better hope that Ron Howard does a PERFECT job with this TV show/movie combo or else I'm putting the blame directly on you....Sounds fair.

Brimania
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
OK, so I have not been all that blown away by any SK writing turned movie. I don't know, maybe I'm too fickle. Please let God intervene. David Lynch to cover the Gunslinger. Ron Howard is cool and all, but I think he would be better for Wolves, or maybe Wizard. I know that they will not be covering the series in exactly this way, but....

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
With the exception of "The Shining" (which was actually a long time ago) I don't think King really cares too much about the Movie adaptations of his books. I don't mean that as a slam either. Of course he loves the $$$, but I think he's more concerned over the literary quality and so forth than any legacy he may have in Hollywood. Why else would he keep letting Tinseltown fuck up his masterpieces time and again? If he really cared, he'd write the damn screenplays, although that may not actually be his forte'.

As far as turning King works into films goes I feel that generally he is his own worst enemy in that his books contain so much character thought and development (if that's the right way to put it) that it can never really be translated to the silver screen. Stephen King was meant to be "Read", period. Coincidentally, "The Shining" and it's 2 adaptations are a classic example.

Know what I mean?

CyberGhostface
11-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Why not Ron Howard? Rob Reiner did a great job directing Stand By Me and Misery. I don't blame SK for not wishing to put all his eggs in one basket.

Many of the "good" Stephen King films (I.E. the ones that aren't considered B-movies) have been the ones with little elements of the supernatural or at the very least nothing over the top in terms of monsters or something "out there".

With The Mist, Darabont showed he had the chops to tackle one of King's more outlandish ideas--giant monsters from another dimension attacking a supermarket(!)--and made a great film that satisfied most of the fans as well as pleasing the critics. In anyone else's hands it could have been another Mick Garris shlockfest but Darabont went above and beyond. IMO, The Mist is the DEFINITIVE Stephen King film.

Darabont would have been perfect for The Dark Tower. He was willing to do it. And King turned him down.

And frankly, Howard's idea--splitting the series into a CBS television series and a couple of movies--sounds like he's asking for a disaster to happen.

Sounds fair.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but yes, it will be King's fault. Because he had a director at his disposal who offered his services to him, a director who would have undoubtedly done a fantastic job, and he turned him down.

fernandito
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Reading this thread is depressing me. Ron Howard better do one cot damn hell of a job.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I loved the ending of the Mist movie. I thought it the most shocking scene I have ever seen in a movie. I also understand that both Darabont and King refused to allow the movie to be made without it.

John Blaze
11-24-2010, 10:05 PM
:(

pathoftheturtle
11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
...write the damn screenplays, although that may not actually be his forte'.
...Huge understatement there.

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 09:14 AM
I totally stole this from someone else, but how about Norman Reedus as Eddie? To refresh people's memory, he is Darryl in Walking Dead, he was one of the brothers in Boondock Saints, and he was in Blade II.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005342/

Doe
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Okay ive changed my mind. I saw this pic and it had Steven Deschain written all over it.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/RoninDoe/50494_145836202118778_7199_n.jpg

kluker
12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
i think Norman Reedus would make a awesome Eddie

haunted.lunchbox
12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
i think Norman Reedus would make a awesome Eddie

He's incredibly talented!

JakeFatal
12-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Viggo mortensen as Roland and Edward norton as eddie

alinda
12-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Still like James Franco as Eddie....but yeah Viggo as Roland is such a great idea. ;)http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:rxHQBINw7VkQPM:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvVPusxikSS5ECp5V0WnUXGx9nlH-GjvVV5JpJ5ZGOQ6f39z3LWAhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIOABvHGsXtsGrUjghb-3pk7DgJ5pjzFXdmuE8s5X5u9EFMq4XFA

blavigne
12-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Viggo mortensen as Roland and Edward norton as eddie

I really like Viggo for Roland and I love E. Norton but I think he is too old for Eddie :(

velcro_fly
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
James Franco would be a great Eddie!:thumbsup:

haunted.lunchbox
12-14-2010, 06:26 AM
For the longest time I was stuck on Neal Mcdonahue playing the MIB...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/carrollchick2009/PDVD_251.jpg (http://www.findfreegraphics.com)[/QUOTE]

But now I'm thinking I would also be happy with Ben Kingsley...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/Bciaramello/kingsley1.jpg (http://www.butterfunk.com)

blavigne
12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
I liked the guy from Law and Order that played Flagg in The stand.

Darth Pyros
12-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Roland-
(it should be a time machined Clint Eastwood) but more likely Viggo Mortenson(if they makeup over his chin dimple, or for that true western feel Jeremy Irons

Eddie Dean-
either Stephen Mayer or James Roday, whichever has the better ability to make themselves look like a junkie

susannah dean-
Rosario Dawson or Jada Pinket Smith, idk, maybe flip a coin? whichever can do a better job at being ghetto for the Detta Walker parts.

Jake Chambers-
macaulay Culkin from 12 years ago, or Freddy Highmore, although his face is a little too triangularly for me, he'd probably be the best talent wise.

Flagg-
William Defoe, no doubts or ifs, or and/butts..as long as he doesn't smile his super big green goblin grin and just does a normal smile, he'd be the perfect man in black.

and for the voice of blaine-
Anthony Hopkins

thats all for now, will add more when i can think of them, this was my main reason for joining here, hope for some input.

Jean
12-19-2010, 04:38 AM
this thread will shortly be merged with this one (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1845-DT-Casting-Chat-who-would-you-cast-who-would-YOU-be-in-the-movie)

alinda
12-19-2010, 04:48 AM
I dreamed of this last night Ron Howard in the thread everyones input has already turned their heads our way. My goodness we are so
very impotant to this project , so please be careful not to sugest something stupid.OK?:wtf:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Jeremy Irons? With that accent?

blavigne
12-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I hope for Viggo, if not him then Ed Harris. Either would make a great Roland I think.

alinda
12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8WA7vSKq7KcF0M: or http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EkE38Z-cafzS0M:
I dont know about you, but I may be falling in love <3

blavigne
12-19-2010, 08:46 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8WA7vSKq7KcF0M: or http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EkE38Z-cafzS0M:
I dont know about you, but I may be falling in love <3

Well, as far as love goes, I'd have to stake a claim on Ed but I could live with Viggo as a consolation prize LOL! :)

Darth Pyros
12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
hey guys, my mind says these..

Roland-
(it should be a time machined Clint Eastwood) but more likely Viggo Mortenson(if they makeup over his chin dimple, or for that true western feel Jeremy Irons. in the thread i started someone commented on Jeremy irons accent, he's a 5-star actor, he can get rid of his accent, no problem....the only problem i see with Viggo...is his lack of age behind his voice, when Roland speaks, it should sound like he's lived five lifetimes.

Eddie Dean-
either Stephen Mayer or James Roday, whichever has the better ability to make themselves look like a junkie(I didn't even think of James Franco, he would be perfect, blows my ideas out of the water.)

Susannah dean-
Rosario Dawson or Jada Pinket Smith, idk, maybe flip a coin? whichever can do a better job at being ghetto for the Detta Walker parts.

Jake Chambers-
Macaulay Culkin from 12 years ago, or Freddy Highmore, although his face is a little too triangularly for me, he'd probably be the best talent wise.

Flagg-
William Defoe, no doubts or ifs, or and/butts..as long as he doesn't smile his super big green goblin grin and just does a normal smile, he'd be the perfect man in black.(i think Neal would be a great flagg, but a better Walter.(magic, face changing, disguise, and such? idk, maybe im just crazy. lol Ben would be an excellent Flagg.

and for the voice of blaine-
Anthony Hopkins(mostly because i wanna hear him do the little Blaine voice, but also because of his ability to sound so cold and lifeless.)

costanza
12-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see John Cullum play John Cullum.

alinda
12-24-2010, 02:25 PM
:clap: Thats funny, is there really an actor by that name? *googles*

costanza
12-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I remember him from Northern Exposure. Not sure what he's been in lately. He also read the audiobook for The Man in the Black Suit.
I don't know if King had him in mind when he made the character but I think he'd do a great job. He is 80 years old though, so they better start shooting soon. lol

EvaH
12-25-2010, 09:21 PM
YaYa DaCosta for Susannah.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5610/yaya43.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7310/yaya45.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8573/v12933368724793161.jpg

Darth Pyros
12-26-2010, 06:50 AM
hey rose, I would agree with you if she were a few years older? she looks to be around 21-23, where Susannah is supposed to be around 27-ish?

alinda
12-26-2010, 10:58 AM
pant pant "She is certainly beautiful isnt she?

EvaH
12-26-2010, 12:36 PM
hey rose, I would agree with you if she were a few years older? she looks to be around 21-23, where Susannah is supposed to be around 27-ish?

She's 28. She does look young though.

alinda
12-26-2010, 01:07 PM
CAn she act ? does she have the "chops" to play Detta Walker??
In the second photo it looks as if she has a gunslingers stance. :lol:

EvaH
12-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I haven't seen any of her acting. I posted her based on her looks. I couldn't help thinking of Susannah when I was looking at her pics. But yeah, whoever plays Susannah/Detta will need to have some serious acting chops.

Krims0nKing
12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
For Roland, I believe either the main star of "The Walking Dead"...Andrew Lincoln. Or, I'll take Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, Viggo Morrison. I think Ron Howards brother Clint, since he's in every Ron Howard film, should be Sheb, Tull's famous piano player. Of course Hollywood might mess this up and cast someone like, I don't know, Eddie Murphy for Susannah Dean.

ICry4Oy
12-28-2010, 05:33 AM
RE: Ron Howard's brother Clint: He could also play any given slow mutie and wouldn't even need makup!

Krims0nKing
12-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Why would someone want Hugh Laurie to play the last gunslinger? Why would you want 'House' to play Roland? He's a gun toting bad a## not some dude who 'acts' speaking English. Imagine Dr. House chasing the Man in Black. I can't even begin to think that would be a good idea. If he turns out to be Roland, I refuse to watch the movie. House--he'll be in Midworld with his gun and his cane.
I believe the main character of AMC'S 'The Walking Dead' Andrew Lincoln would be a good Roland. I mean he's like born for the part. He's already got the piercing blue eyes, get some scruff on his cheeks, grow his hair a little longer--and there he is. It's Ka my friends. Or just let Aragorn from 'Lord of the Rings' play him. I'd be happy with that!

Oh, Randall Flagg better be played by someone good too. No one like the dude who played him in the 'Stand' movie. I hated that guy.

velcro_fly
12-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Does anyone else see Tom Selleck as a Gunslinger? NOT Roland, but maybe his father, or one of the elder 'slingers.

blavigne
12-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Does anyone else see Tom Selleck as a Gunslinger? NOT Roland, but maybe his father, or one of the elder 'slingers.

Never thought of that but yeah I can see it. Interesting idea!

Darth Pyros
12-29-2010, 08:11 AM
oh for sure, i was thinking Cort, he has that look about him where he could teach you how to throw a plate and have it cut 4 people, but he'd only be able to show you once....know what i mean?

ICry4Oy
12-29-2010, 09:20 AM
I still think they should go for completely new/unknown actors for these films.

haunted.lunchbox
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I disagree on the completely unknown. Some should be, but not all.

Gaia66
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh, wow. Good ideas all around, but if Ron Howard goes forward, I want to put the right actors in the running...
ROLAND- Liam Neeson.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/illuminarcy/_tmp_490e0ab3564de.jpg
EDDIE- Topher Grace.
http://bestof.provocateuse.com/images/photos/topher_grace_99.jpg
Odetta/Detta/Susannah- Regina King.
http://blackwomenlovebi.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/regina-king_l.jpg?w=400&amp;h=400

After that, we'll see...

The Talisman
12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd like to see Josh Holloway play Eddie ("Sawyer" from Lost)

Darth Pyros
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
I disagree on the completely unknown. Some should be, but not all.

yeah but the ones that aren't unknowns need to be actors that are also good people, so we don't end up with a Hiatus or something stupid because of a money or not enough blue m&m's.

and talisman, i would totally agree...if he had more of an ectomorph frame.

EvaH
12-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Bardem and Mortensen Up for Lead in Stephen King’s Epic ‘Dark Tower’ Series

http://backseatcuddler.com/2010/12/31/bardem-and-mortensen-up-for-lead-in-steven-kings-epic-dark-tower-series/

kluker
12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Hmm both look like Roland but i'm thinking Mortensen would be better

Darth Pyros
01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
nice link, i think javier looks a bit more like an older Eddie, like early 30's-ish, I'm going to have to put my vote to viggo.

idoless
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I think Tara from True Blood would be excellent as Susannah.

IrishEyes
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
This is just my opinion- I agree that it should be a fairly unknown actor. Not an actor with no chops but just one that maybe hasn't hit it big. My vote is Jensen Ackles. He plays Dean on "Supernatural". He's got that gunslinger type look and rough voice that makes me think of Clint but not overwhelmingly so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jensen_Ackles_2008_Comic-Con_03_Cropped.jpg

Krims0nKing
01-03-2011, 04:06 AM
I read, everyday, about the Dark Tower film and if there is anything new going on with it. I'm utterly stoked for this movie, and I'm disapointed that I have to wait until...I don't know...2013 until it comes out. But all good things are worth waiting for. But the last time I checked out the news I was shocked when I read that Javier Bardem was becoming a first pick for the role of Roland. What?
This is the most disapointing news I've read in a long time. I mean, isn't there anyone out there in this Dark Tower world that believes how I do?
Viggo, Mr. Aragorn, should be the man who gets to fill the boots of the gunslinger. He has that look for the part, and Javier...I don't know, he's so not...out of this world. I am already terrified that the creators of the film are going to thash the book and keep out a lot of neat things. They'll want to make the movie so that people who have no idea it is a book can understand it when they watch it. They won't just make it for the hardcore Tower fans. Apart of me wishes they wouldn't create it...apart me wants to stand in line for hours for a ticket. Of course if Javier Bardem isn't Roland.

Who stands with me?

Nerak
01-03-2011, 06:04 AM
I stand with you! I have said all along that it should be Viggo!

candy
01-03-2011, 06:12 AM
hmmmmm:orely: not too sure, i have seen a couple of Javier films and he seems quite a good actor. The problem (IMO) lies in the fact that i don't think he is tall enough?

I think Viggo would be the perfect in looks for the part in the stills i have seen around the site here, but as i have only seen him as Aragon i can't really say his acting is perfect for the part.

i am keeping an open mind on whoever they choose as long as they can act i say!!!!

blavigne
01-03-2011, 06:38 AM
I am jumping on the Viggo train............He's not exactly the Roland in my head but close enough that I'd be happy!!

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Even though I have reservations about Viggo playing Roland, I would definitely prefer him over Javier Bardem.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever that Javier can act the part, he just doesn't look the part ... if that makes sense.

blavigne
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever that Javier can act the part, he just doesn't look the part ... if that makes sense.

My thoughts exactly! Javier to me looks like a big coffin hunter.

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
That's it! No offense to Bardem, he's a fine actor, but he just doesn't fit Roland's description, and I'm afraid if he's given the part he will ruin it for me :(

JakeFatal
01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
viggo all the way c'mon now

velcro_fly
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I would suggest Viggo before Bardem. My only problem is, Viggo will always be Aragron in my mind, and I don't want to be watching TDT and see Aragron through the whole thing. Does that make sense to anyone else?

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I would suggest Viggo before Bardem. My only problem is, Viggo will always be Aragron in my mind, and I don't want to be watching TDT and see Aragron through the whole thing. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Exactly! I'm totally with you on this one. I've been saying all along that having Viggo play Roland will only cause unnecessary comparisons and detract from TDT story value. It must be a separate story, not some weird twist on the LOTR - which, I'm afraid, might happen with Viggo starring.

velcro_fly
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Exactly! I'm totally with you on this one. I've been saying all along that having Viggo play Roland will only cause unnecessary comparisons and detract from TDT story value. It must be a separate story, not some weird twist on the LOTR - which, I'm afraid, might happen with Viggo starring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think comparisons will be made unless they make him look the same as he did in LOTR. I don't think most people would realize they were even the same actor.

kluker
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't know who he was till I looked on IMDB

blavigne
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think comparisons will be made unless they make him look the same as he did in LOTR. I don't think most people would realize they were even the same actor.

I was thinking that too. I don't think the two characters look even remotely similar so that shouldn't be a worry.

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Maybe. I've just noticed that wherever I discuss possible candidates for the role of Roland, people inevitably mention "that guy who played Aragorn". So I'd say that a lot of people will recognize him - precisely because in LOTR he had the same kind of look that they also associate with Roland. It's not like the role requires him to wear a full beard or mustache that will make him unrecognizable.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Maybe. I've just noticed that wherever I discuss possible candidates for the role of Roland, people inevitably mention "that guy who played Aragorn". So I'd say that a lot of people will recognize him - precisely because in LOTR he had the same kind of look that they also associate with Roland. It's not like the role requires him to wear a full beard or mustache that will make him unrecognizable.

That may be true in this forum, because many people have invested interest in this movie. For the general public; however, not many people are going to have heard of TDT, or even know to compare it to LOTR. Most of the public would probably not even recognize Aragorn out of costume. Unfortunately, the public is not going to hold the same perception on who should get cast. Many of them may swoon if someone like Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp gets cast as Roland, when in reality, they don't fit the role from the book that well. I'm almost nervous because they are going to be torn between satisfying a very small number of people who love the dark tower, and a very large number of people who are the general public... the GP is probably going to win.

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I see your point. I wasn't speaking specifically about this forum - even my DH thought of Viggo (and also Hugh Jackman) when we were discussing a possible movie.
I guess what I'm concerned about is that LOTR has such a huge fan base that anyone associated with it will automatically bring LOTR along, wherever they work next. (Although I know that many LOTR fans were less than happy with the screen adaptation.)

I share your concern about someone totally off being chosen for the role solely because of star power. That would be a shame.
As much as I like Johnny Depp - he will not pull it off.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I wonder about fan reaction if they cast will smith as roland...

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
:scared:
I sure hope they understand there has to be a limit to gender/race/etc. blind casting!?!

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, there was the hobbit guy that got in trouble for not casting biracial hobbits. I'm all for diversity but I can understand why they would want a specific type to play the hobbit role. I wouldn't expect to play martin luther king in a movie.

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Yep, I was thinking about that same thing and that exact situation. Going overboard with diversity can be a disservice to the story and the author.

blavigne
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I think this cast is going to have to be totally representative of diversity just to fit the story as written. Roland is old and handicapped, Eddie is a junkie, Jake is a kid, Susannah is not only a woman and black but is handicapped as well, Rosalita is hispanic, and then there's Oy, the Taheen, and others who are not even of the same species.

blavigne
01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I think this cast is going to have to be totally representative of diversity just to fit the story as written. Roland is old and handicapped, Eddie is a junkie, Jake is a kid, Susannah is not only a woman and black but is handicapped as well, Rosalita is hispanic, and then there's Oy, the Taheen, and others who are not even of the same species.

and that's only a very small sampling of the characters involved!! :)

RainInSpain
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh yes! There is a really diverse crowd in the story, so I guess no one will have reason to complain that they've been overlooked.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I will be upset if they try to cast 'pretty' people in all the spots. I could just see Justin Beiber being cast as Jake.

blavigne
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I will be upset if they try to cast 'pretty' people in all the spots. I could just see Justin Beiber being cast as Jake.

Oh gosh I hope not!! I personally think that Jake is one of the lead roles that would be good for an unknown, the next up and coming star.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Oh gosh I hope not!! I personally think that Jake is one of the lead roles that would be good for an unknown, the next up and coming star.

I could see David from Lost playing Jake.

blavigne
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM

I could see David from Lost playing Jake.

I totally forgot about him. I had to google a picture to remind myself what he looks like. I think you are right :excited:

EvaH
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
What's the actor's name?

blavigne
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Dylan Minnette

Darth Pyros
01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Dylan Minnette, and he could maybe be Jake, if he was still a little kid, i mean Jake is supposed to be what? 10 right? so then it wouldn't make much sense casting a mid to late teen for that role...unless they happen to be extra child-like, i mean he's 14 now, kind of a hard time for someone to pretend their still ten, voice changing and all that.

EvaH
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I think he's too old. When does filming start? Next year?

kluker
01-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't see jake when I look at him

velcro_fly
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Dylan Minnette, and he could maybe be Jake, if he was still a little kid, i mean Jake is supposed to be what? 10 right? so then it wouldn't make much sense casting a mid to late teen for that role...unless they happen to be extra child-like, i mean he's 14 now, kind of a hard time for someone to pretend their still ten, voice changing and all that.

There is no way they could cast a ten year old to play Jake. The role calls for more ability and maturity than a ten year old can offer. IMO

blavigne
01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I think so too. I kind of think they will make Jake a little older in the movies than he is in the books.

Darth Pyros
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
not saying they need too, just someone with baby face, ya know so he can have those moments of innocence and those moments of brutal adulthood.

Delah
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Actually, Jake is said to be eleven in the first four books and twelve in the last three, so he is a little (very little) older than ten. I can't imagine they can bump the character's age up too much for the films, (maybe only a year) considering Jake's age is so integral to the father/son relationship he develops with Roland.

There is no way they could cast a ten year old to play Jake. The role calls for more ability and maturity than a ten year old can offer. IMO

Oh, I agree. I'm really, really hoping they find a good Jake, because so many child actors just make you want to cringe, and Jake is such a pivotal part throughout the entire saga. This kid, whoever he is, is going to have to have those moments of innocence and brutal adulthood (love the phrase btw, Darth) not to mention multiple death scenes.

If they have to choose a fourteen year old I can live with that, so long as the kid can act. Of course, the issue with adolescent actors is how much they grow during filming: are they doing all three films right after another, ala LOTR, or are they having breaks in between? Then you might wind up with a seventeen year old actor playing a thirteen year old Jake. Sigh.

Gaia66
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I am all about Viggo, but not for Roland; he's too short and not old enough.
I submit the following casting ideas:

LIAM NEESON- Roland:
http://www.availableimages.com/images/pictures/2006/seraphim-falls/aph_5.jpg

TOPHER GRACE- Eddie:
http://www.famtic.com/Image/588ddef9-7f51-456d-9077-5695ff1999e4/649/Images/2008/12/28/Resize/588ddef9-7f51-456d-9077-5695ff1999e4.jpg

REGINA KING- Susannah:
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/2262661_f520.jpg

Darth Pyros
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
the issue with adolescent actors is how much they grow during filming: are they doing all three films right after another, ala LOTR, or are they having breaks in between? Then you might wind up with a seventeen year old actor playing a thirteen year old Jake. Sigh.

that would be the worst, i hate the age skip, its why child actors end up getting so f-ed in the head because they go from super famous to shitty teen actor and then freak out on drugs.
the thing is, idk how they are going to plan the time-lines, i mean 1-3 movies and a tv series with expansion if its well received, they'd have to go and do all three movies and two seasons of the show and just film solid for years to get all the shots they need before the kid looks too different.

Delah
01-07-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm no casting agent or director, but I would guess common sense would tell those people that they're going to have to film at least the movies very, very quickly, hopefully one right after another, so that we don't wind up with a 17 year old Jake. Look at HP or Narnia: at least those books take place over a series of years, so the fact that you have 23 year olds playing 17 year olds isn't terribly far fetched.

But in TDT, the entire series is supposed to cover just around a year, right? They can fiddle with the timeline perhaps, make it seem like more time has passed, But I do *not* want to see an eighteen year old actor playing a fifteen year old Jake. But child actors just throw such huge issues into anything. You can only have them film so many hours a day, and Jake's in so much of the series, excepting most of TDOTT, WAG and the last part of TDT.

the thing is, idk how they are going to plan the time-lines, i mean 1-3 movies and a tv series with expansion if its well received,

Yeah, I'd be really interested to know what's supposed to go in the tv series (I was under the impression it was going to be more Roland's past, ala WAG) and where the movies are going to end/begin. Where would you end the first movie/begin the second? And so on.

ICry4Oy
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
That's another reason they should cast unknowns for the major characters. Sign 'em up to a contract for all the movies so they don't go diva between movies and ask for too much money if the first movie does well.

Someone above mentioned Justin Beiber as Jake and I almost opened my window and jumped out of from six floors up.

velcro_fly
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I can't stand Justin Beiber:pullhair:

EvaH
01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
. . . That "Pirates of the Caribbean" beauty Naomie Harris is being considered for the female lead in the Ron Howard's eagerly anticipated "Dark Tower" trilogy.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7563/naomiharris20204202028d.jpg
http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/we_hear_we_hear_X8EWkXTtBPsfbed4nQsqpI

Patrick
01-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Another story (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/01/07/the-dark-tower-rumors-draw-naomie-harris-for-female-lead/) on the same rumor regarding Naomie Harris.

I give her a :thumbsup:

Also I give Viggo the same in the role of Roland.

RainInSpain
01-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree about Naomie Harris - she looks very much like I envision Odetta/Detta/Suze.

Darth Pyros
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
ohh for sure, she has that look....like "I can be very civilized, but cross me andI'ill go ghetto on you and shank you with a bottle".

Rice Dancer
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see Josh Holloway play Eddie ("Sawyer" from Lost)

I think he could work well.

Rice Dancer
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Just a quick thought on music if there was a movie.

This song has to be Roland's song!! I listened to it the other day after reading some of TDT and it instantly made me think of Roland!!

The song is "When the man comes around" by Johnny Cash. The lyrics are so apt!!!

and maybe this song for the end or very near the end.....

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash, these lyrics are even more apt than the ones above!!

Tried to attach links but for some reason I couldn't, you can listen to them both on YouTube if you don't know them.

Someone probably already said this, but I think "Hey Jude" would have to be in there.

Delah
01-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Someone probably already said this, but I think "Hey Jude" would have to be in there.

I'd love it if "Hey, Jude" became a sort of running theme song throughout all the movies like it is in the books. Have Roland hear Sheb play it as he approaches Tull; have Eddie sing it as he drags Roland along the beach. Have Jake sing it when Gasher forces him to sing in the sewers of Lud. Have Susannah sing it after Algul Siento, and so on. Not the whole song, obviously (that would take up a lot of time, considering Hey Jude is what, eight minutes long?) but little snippets throughout the series.

blavigne
01-13-2011, 07:02 AM

I'd love it if "Hey, Jude" became a sort of running theme song throughout all the movies like it is in the books. Have Roland hear Sheb play it as he approaches Tull; have Eddie sing it as he drags Roland along the beach. Have Jake sing it when Gasher forces him to sing in the sewers of Lud. Have Susannah sing it after Algul Siento, and so on. Not the whole song, obviously (that would take up a lot of time, considering Hey Jude is what, eight minutes long?) but little snippets throughout the series.

I think that would be awesome!! It is a great song.

Serpent Raptor
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Too many pages to read, but the Thomas Jane suggestion sounds good. He WAS awesome in The Punisher.

I think the casting of Walter would be just as important as Roland--ruin the main bad guy, you ruin the DT film. How about Hugo Weaving?

Freddy Highmore as Jake sounds like a great idea to. The whole DT film would suck with some annoying child actor who isn't believable.

How would they do Oy? Trained strange breed of dog with make up? Cgi? First idea doesn't sound very plausible, but then, even now, using Cgi for a main character would be dodgy and unrealstic enough for people not to relate to Oy as a character.

Kidd Ikarus
01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Some people keep recommending Josh Holloway for Eddie. Eddie is 23 years old when he is introduced in TDotT! Holloway is what? 40 years old . . . ?

kluker
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Freddy Highmore as Jake sounds like a great idea to. The whole DT film would suck with some annoying child actor who isn't believable.

That who i was thinking of but couldn't think of his name

blavigne
01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Some people keep recommending Josh Holloway for Eddie. Eddie is 23 years old when he is introduced in TDotT! Holloway is what? 40 years old . . . ?

That's what I think. I can almost see Josh Holloway as Roland but he seems a bit too good looking to be "old long tall and ugly", although he dirtied up really well on LOST! :)

Gaia66
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I have got to put my two cents in here. Can't Odetta/ Detta/ Susannah PLEASE be a black woman a little bit darker?
If I see one more white/black girl in a movie, I'm gonna SCREAM!!!
Here's me vote:
REGINA KING.
http://blackwomenlovebi.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/regina-king_l.jpg?w=400&h=400
She's not as light as she looks and she could certainly pull of the ghetto chick without being a turn- off.
Also, I love Viggo, but he's too short.
I submit:
LIAM NEESON:
http://blackwomenlovebi.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/regina-king_l.jpg?w=400&h=400

Gaia66
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I submit the follwing for casting:
LIAM NEESON:
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=315329283869&id=48e852e0e067b3c8eac5e659ee3fa0ad&index=ch1

REGINA KING:
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=395448813960&id=a5c8f34134354bc3560d57a68fd45cc8&index=ch1

And for Eddie,
TOPHER GRACE:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=384241051130&id=d30da74df39a348fda78003d541fe8e5&index=ch1

If nothing else, I'd like to see someone dark for Susannah. Please, no more light skinned black girls. I don't care if she's American or not, just make her DARKER!!!!

Kidd Ikarus
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I think he's a little too 'pretty' for Roland as well. But not to be rude but sometimes people should use their heads. Why cast an actor who is twice the age of the character they would portray? That's like a bunch of people saying that they wouldn't mind Leonardo Dicaprio cast to play Jake. It just doesn't make sense.

And just czuse its a pet peeve being an old fan, "Hurt" although covered by Johnny Cash is an original Nine Inch Nails song. It was written by Trent Reznor.

Rice Dancer
01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I actually just realized I agreed with Josh Holloway playing Eddie. I meant I thought he could be Roland, but they'd have to dye his hair or something. He's also a bit too beefed up right now. He would need to lost some muscle.

Rice Dancer
01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
As for who I'd be. . .weren't there little tiny mermaid people swimming around in glass or something in one of the books?

Kidd Ikarus
01-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree he could be a good Roland. He's proved that he can portray a troubled antihero. And I also agree that he would have to lose some weight or muscle . . . My girlfriend is pretty adamant about that single fact . . . That they have to get his body type/ condition at least somewhat accurate to what's in the story.

But for Eddie, I just hope they get someone who fits the character. 23-26 (or in hollywood it could prob go up to 31), a wise-crackin, fast talkin kid from the streets of Brooklyn, NY.

I just read and re-watched "It" for the first time in probably 15 years . . . I know how most people feel about that movie, but the part that I really don't understand is why change sinple facts? Just for one example . . . (In the movie) Mike Hanlon is showing the class pictures from his dads album . . . And they moved all the dates of the tragedies forward 30 years . . . Black spot 1960 (instead of 1930), the ironworks 1930 (instead of 1906). Long story short (too late!); artistic liscence my ass. Just stay true to what the people already like.

Gaia66
01-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I am a HUGE fan of Viggo's, but he is too short for Roland.

I submit the following for casting:

Roland -LIAM NEESON:excited:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/illuminarcy/_tmp_490e0ab3564de.jpg

Odetta/Detta- REGINA KING :excited:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/2262661_f520.jpg

Eddie- TOPHER GRACE :excited:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/HangMan181/Topher.jpg

brandnewfan
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Eddie.....IMO he's perfect for the role.

Kidd Ikarus
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
No way to either regina king as susannah or topher grace as eddie. Even if they get some nobodies . . . Get at least some quality actors to play the roles. Hopefully this will be a better movie than scary movie or spiderman 3 . . . Or That 70s show.

CurtSeattle
01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
ME for Roland! hahaha!
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6895/imag0216a.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/imag0216a.jpg/)
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3839/curtpicforglennchadbour.jpg (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/curtpicforglennchadbour.jpg/)

brandnewfan
01-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Alex Ferris as Jake
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/4993186889_0d582b41fe.jpg

And I've already mentioned Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Eddie but here's a photo!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/4993186839_5a8a432e8c.jpg

idoless
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Jarvier Bardem was just offered the role or Roland...Im not sure whether or not to be happy because I really DID NOT want Christian Bale in the lead but i really really wanted Viggo. Any opinions on Bardem? I never saw any of his movies but he's spanish and doesnt have blue eyes..they better make him wear contacts.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
i dunno who'd i'd want but IF "Angela Basset" was younger i'd LOVE to see her play "Susannah" unfortunally she's i think in her 50's now.

velcro_fly
01-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Why wouldn't they have auditions for all the rolls instead of just offering it to someone?

Darth Pyros
01-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Liam nelson could be an EXCELLENT Roland.....if he had blue eyes/he gets some super awesome contacts. and Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a PERFECT Eddie Dean, so long as he can put out that new york accent without makin it sound too cheesy

Roland of Gilead 33
01-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Emmet Walsh if that's how you say his name? i cant' remember? he'd play a perfect "Sheriff Avery"

Bethany
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Bah! I have found Roland.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/susanfox86/roland.jpg

EvaH
01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv91/Black-House/2mzl104.gif

CoolhandLocke
01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
In a perfect world i'd like to see...

Roland - Christian Bale, Matthew Fox, Jim Cavizel
Eddie - Ed Norton would be perfect but is a bit to old, unless they cast eastwood as Roland lol...Gordon-Levitt is a nice idea though never thought of him before this thread. Cillian Murphy would be interesting also.
Susannah - Halle Berry hands down..

Jake i have absolutely no idea...

RainInSpain
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Isn't Cillian Murphy a bit too old to play Eddie?
He's what, in mid-thirties, and with the time needed to make all movies and series he will be pushing 40 (at least). Who knows how exactly he will be aging.

CoolhandLocke
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Isn't Cillian Murphy a bit too old to play Eddie?
He's what, in mid-thirties, and with the time needed to make all movies and series he will be pushing 40 (at least). Who knows how exactly he will be aging.

You are totally correct i thought he was actually younger but he's my age...34. It will be interesting to see how close Howard sticks with the actual ages & looks of the characters though. I still don't think Bardem looks anything like Roland in my minds eye or according to the book but he's a great actor and seems to be well received "if" he takes the part..

kluker
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Christian Bale looks nothing like how Roland is described in the books he would be a better Eddie.

I do not think Halle Berry would make a good Suze I like Dawson for her.

CoolhandLocke
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Christian Bale looks nothing like how Roland is described in the books he would be a better Eddie.

I do not think Halle Berry would make a good Suze I like Dawson for her.

He looks a whole lot closer to Roland than Bardem does but that's just my opinion. Either way i think Roland and all the characters look different to everyone who's read the books, that's great part about Imagination and reading!

I've thrown Bale out there for Eddie on a few other boards and to some friends but i get "he's to old" everytime lol. I'm going to start thinking about some other characters instead of the main four until Bardem decides what he's doing...

Darth Pyros
01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
...............................<__<>__>

i think i found Callahan?
http://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Jonathan_Pryce/212673/Jonathan_Pryce_7.jpg
He's pretty close to the artist rendition, im not allowed to post it on the internet though.

obviously he'd look more the part with the scar and a serious scowl on his mug.

velcro_fly
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
He looks the part, but I still think the role of Callahan should go to Clint Eastwood.

Slender
02-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey there everyone! This is my first post here. I just wanted to see what other fans of the series thought of my casting ideas.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4715/katetm.jpg

Javier Bardem is my first choice for Roland – I originally liked the idea of Viggo Mortensen, but after seeing No Country For Old Men, I think Bardem is a better fit. He's free from the LotR baggage that would distract the audience if Viggo was cast, he's got a more suitable voice, and he has a cold, emotional distance to him which I'm not sure Viggo is capable of.

I would cast Nathan Gamble as Jake – he's the right age, he looks the part, and he's also a very talented actor, as evidenced in The Mist.

Jared Leto as Eddie. He's tall, pale-skinned and black-haired, which are the basic aspects of Eddie's look (or so I've always imagined). He played a New York heroin junkie in Requiem For A Dream, and that sealed the deal for me. The only problem is that he's a bit on the old side – he's in his late thirties – but he looks a lot younger than he is, and I think he could pull definitely off a convincing twenty-something.

I hope the rumour of Naomie Harris as Susannah comes true – she looks the part, and I think she can nail both the sweet and kindly Odetta aspect and the crazy, over-the-top Detta personality.

Darth Pyros
02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
....eehhh, Calahan isn't that awesome, i mean yeah hes a former vampire minion and a kickin ass priest, but idk, i cant see Clint Eastwood wearing a cross, on his forehead or around his neck.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
i agree, i can see "johnathon pryce do that HOWEVER

kluker
02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/m9okt2.jpg
Him for one of the Big Coffins
:lol:
He will be in every movie if I had a say so

Roland of Gilead 33
02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
i agree he does look like he'd be perfect for a role in the "DT" films i just LOVE that character on "Santuary" sorry for my spellling he he. lol.

Hbgunslinger
02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I still stand pretty firmly by my Daniel Day Lewis for Roland.
I guess I could see Joseph Gordon LEvitt as Eddie he's bordering on to old though.
I do think Naomie Harris could pull off Susannah she's talented enough
And for Flagg I still think Gary Oldman would be amazing but I don't see it happening.
As for Jake I have no real good ideas, I still think a no name could work but you never know.
Bardem is an amazingly talented actor but I just don't see him as Roland, I think he could possibly pull it off and if he does accept it I hope he wears the contacts.
Oh and the Sheriff from WAG Avery i believe I always saw as John Goodman, but he just lost a ton of weight lol. I still think he could do it though.

Darth Pyros
02-03-2011, 05:58 AM
i dont know who he would play but i also want to see Anthony Stewart in the movie.
http://blastr.com/anthony_stewart_head_1.jpg

also, Nick Brendon for Eddie maybe, hes got that perfect "retard" grin that I've come to associate with Eddie whenever he says something Eddie Dean like.
http://blastr.com/nicholas-brendon.jpg

Roland of Gilead 33
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
that'd be fucking sweet! "Nicolas Brendon" in an A List film. he really hasn't done much work since Buffy ended. i'd LOVE it if he played Eddie.

it'd be like playing "Xander" again but kicking ass better! & i really doubt they will cast either of these guys though. who do you see "Anthony Head" as? anyways?

Darth Pyros
02-04-2011, 11:15 PM
that'd be fucking sweet! "Nicolas Brendon" in an A List film. he really hasn't done much work since Buffy ended. i'd LOVE it if he played Eddie.

it'd be like playing "Xander" again but kicking ass better! & i really doubt they will cast either of these guys though. who do you see "Anthony Head" as? anyways?

yeah i know, its a shame he's an excellent actor........I don't, at least, not in my head, i'd just really like to see him in this, even if h.....I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!

Mr. Tower

i feel so happy now, i was jsut typing and then bam it came to me. like a smack in the face.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Calvin tower right? well that's pretty much what he played during the 1st three seasons of buffy he he. a libarain. he he. sorry about my spelling. yes he was a watcher on buffy i'm just talking about his cover while he was living in sunnydale when the gang was still in high school.

to be honest, i honestly don't know who i'd want to be cast in any of these roles. big or small cause i think they would be HARD as hell to cast. some would be easier of course. but i think the ka-tet well the ka-tet of the standard timeline that we get outside of the flashbacks would be hard to cast.

i just HOPE that they don't cast someone like "Justin Bieber" that little boy. who looks about 10 years old but can't act. i can't wait until the CSI episode airs that's coming up where his character gets killed. not that i would want that to happen to him in real life of course. i wouldn't but in a tv show ayuh. what's also funny is that a LOT of the actors who can i think play Eddie would well play play him perfect i think are far to old for the role. the dude who plays "Eric" on the great show 'True Blood" i think would be good as one of "Jonas' goons maybe ? he's a pretty good actor.

not an a list actor by any means. but has a name cause of 'True Blood" i dunno who i'd want to play Cuthbert who i just LOVE to death & Alain.

though. do the actors have to be in their teens? i dunno? how old is "Sheemie" suppose to be in "W&G" anyways? it never really says to my best of knowledge.

candy
02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Nicholas Brendand would be too old now, which is a shame

I see Anthony Head as a good Callahan though, as he is getting on a bit now:)

Slender
02-05-2011, 08:47 AM
I hope that multiple actors are cast as Walter's different forms (the man in black, Walter o'Dim, Marten Broadcloak, Randall Flagg etc). I think his shapeshifting powers are a great opportunity for the filmmakers – you'd have a hell of a hard time getting a talented, highly-demanded actor like Gary Oldman to agree to play the character throughout the entire franchise, but I think it would definitely be possible for him to play just one of his forms.

I would like Peter Stormare to play one of them. He played the devil in one scene in the film Constantine, and his mannerisms and personality seemed eerily similar to those of the man in black...

velcro_fly
02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Peter Stormare is a great actor, I loved him in Constantine , he would be a excellent choice for The Man In Black.:thumbsup:

Roland of Gilead 33
02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
tommy lee jones as 'Flagg" naw but interesting if they went with him.

candy
02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
tommy lee jones as 'Flagg" naw but interesting if they went with him.

now you are just being silly:P

Roland of Gilead 33
02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
yes i was being silly. i wasn't Seriously thinking about him playing him. ya caught me. but we have to have a sense of humor about don't we? :)

kluker
02-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Richard Dean Anderson

that is all :wtf:

Roland of Gilead 33
02-06-2011, 02:11 PM
why am i NOT surprised you'd mention someone else with the SG-1 shows. hence "Santurary" is made by the same guys. he he. Simon Baker would be interesting as one of the roles. maybe NOT as "Eddie" he's far to old for it. but maybe someone in "Lud" ?

Kidd Ikarus
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I think someone mentioned Alexander Skaarsgard? 'Eric' from True Blood. While I think that is an awful show, he could do well as the Tick Tock Man. Grow his hair out long and I think he fits the description pretty well.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-06-2011, 05:40 PM
i believe that was me. i love the show 'True Blood" i think "The Tick-Tock Man' would be perfect for him. he doesn't really need i don't think to grow his hair long or dye it blond if he doesn't want to. but he prolly would have to get more muscle to fit the role better. good choice.

Slender
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I pictured the Tick-Tock Man as Jason Isaacs, but I think Ron Perlman would also be a good fit.

Darth Pyros
02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
just found a recent-er/most recent available picture of Anthony head...looking at how he appears in this picture i definitely see him as Callahan instead of tower now.

http://images.wikia.com/merlin1/images/d/d1/Anthony_Head.jpg

mystima
02-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I can't get past him being Giles or that guy in the Taster's Choice coffee commercial he did back in the late 80's.

kluker
02-07-2011, 05:31 PM
All i see when I see him is Repoman.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 05:41 PM
all i see him as is "Giles' but to be fair i haven't seen much of his work either. the show he did before Buffy i just love. that one was on for like only 1 season i think.but it's a damn good show. i forget the name of it to be honest. anyways that's a bad pic of him actually.

it's funny that people have made that remark about him since he was on buffy, but i can't remember if i ever saw that one. i prolly have but how in the hell can anyone remember that from over 20 years ago?

kluker
02-07-2011, 06:12 PM
it's funny that people have made that remark about him since he was on buffy, but i can't remember if i ever saw that one. i prolly have but how in the hell can anyone remember that from over 20 years ago?

Wait who are talking about :lol:

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
smartass he he

kluker
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
:dance:

But I was serious were you still talking about Anthony?

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 11:13 PM
oh my bad. yes i was. i thought you were joking. it's hard to tell at times if someone is joking or serious when posting online. at least for me it is.

Kidd Ikarus
02-08-2011, 12:28 AM
I bet it is for you.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
to be fair, i've seen it happen on other sites where someone was joking & the other person would take out completely out of context & a fight would insue over the stupidist fucking thing. when all that happened was that it was just a bit of misunderstanding.

kluker
02-08-2011, 05:47 AM
I'm usualy am joking more then half time I like to the randomly be serious

Roland of Gilead 33
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
me to 9 times out of 10 it's me joking around. & that's why i put the he he at the end. so people will do i'm just kidding. but i can also be serious as well. i just don't want to start no fighting over dumb shit that's all. which is why i said what i did.

or rather my post above your's i'm of course referring to.

Darth Pyros
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
i think i found jake....his name is Devin Brochu, no picture because its better if you do an image search, it shows a handful of pictures and he can defiantly pull off the sweet innocent look of jake '77 as well as the young prentice of midworld.

idk about his ability to act yet, im looking into the movie he was just in with JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT, no where to see it, unles u got a time machine....or patience of steel

mystima
02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
i think i found jake....his name is Devin Brochu, no picture because its better if you do an image search, it shows a handful of pictures and he can defiantly pull off the sweet innocent look of jake '77 as well as the young prentice of midworld.

idk about his ability to act yet, im looking into the movie he was just in with JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT, no where to see it, unles u got a time machine....or patience of steel

"You are tenacious like bull, I like"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoAC5msF-U

fivethirtytwo
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Good call, man. The kid certainly looks the part.

Darth Pyros
02-09-2011, 05:12 AM
...........strong like bull too, in the pants.

:D

uKa-tet
02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm really unsure about this. I love the DT books and have thought many times that as a TV series or as a set of theatrical films it could be an outstanding piece of work. At the same time, you can't forget how difficult it would be to cast a decent Roland, Eddie, Sussanah and most of all Jake. Imagine you get a child actor to come and read for the role of Jake, they wont have read the books - almost certainly - and the likelyhood of them understanding the main themes and complicated plot seems pretty slim in my humble opinion. Can you imagine a DT series or film with acting as bad as the kid who plays Anakin in "The Phantom Menace"? I think I'd die...

I would put my opinion of which network should get the series if it happens but since i live in the UK it will make very little difference to me.

Also just an added point, either lots of money will need to be spent on video FX or they're going to have to find a woman with half of both of her legs, who has the ability to walk steadily on them, move at a fair speed when required and even recieve a piggy back without strangling the poor fellow who ends up playing Roland and/or Eddie.

None the less I hope these problems are resolved and the series and/or films go ahead. Would be great to see Roland and his Ka-tet on the Big or small screen!

pathoftheturtle
02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I've seen some pretty good child actors in horror movies. The big question would be whether Ron Howard can work with kids on something less simple than his past stuff. But then again, Jake isn't all that young.

Jean
02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I've seen some pretty good child actors in horror movies. The big question would be whether Ron Howard can work with kids on something less simple than his past stuff. But then again, Jake isn't all that young. Right - everything, as usual, depends on the director. I don't think Ivana Baquero could at the age of 11 understand all the complexity and depth of Pan's Labyrinth, but her performance was perfect; there are other examples.

Slender
02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I still think Nathan Gamble would be the best choice for Jake Chambers. He demonstrates great emotive ability in The Mist – bad child actors are unfortunately common and usually pull me right out of a film, but Gamble was totally believable as a child experiencing such supernatural and horrific occurrences. His character has the air of a 'real' kid in the film – I think this is especially noticeable if you watch the first scene (if you haven't, you can find it on YouTube). He is the polar opposite of that awful kid who played Anakin Skywalker.

pathoftheturtle
02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Boy, ever'body hates that kid, don't they? I think I'll use him for my next avatar after Valentine's. Just to be annoying. :P

FYI: Lately, we've been discussing the films a lot @thislink --> The Dark Tower film opens May 17, 2013 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10517-The-Dark-Tower-film-opens-May-17-2013).
As I understand it, the TV series are planned to mainly be set in Roland's past, like W&G era... but I hadn't thought before about that saving a lot of television FX money sparing them from depicting Susannah there. :LOL:

brandnewfan
02-12-2011, 03:57 AM
http://dannyisntheremrstorrance.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/the-dark-tower-series-casting-call/

I pretty much agree with all of this person's choices. They even have a casting call for the upcoming The Stand film.

Slender
02-16-2011, 01:10 PM
If the Wizard & Glass flashback TV series is received well, hopefully they'll follow it up with adaptations of the original comics, using the same cast and crew. I really like The Long Road Home... but I wouldn't mind them skipping over The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins, as it's basically filler material.

Robert Fulman
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I for one would just go ahead and give Susannah her legs back for the show. I actually would get annoyed with her various wheel chairs and often wished that she would sprout some legs just to speed things along.

pathoftheturtle
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, well, just think how she feels.

Canada
02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't think it would be as hard as everyone thinks to remove Susanna's Legs. 1) I don't imagine there would be a whole lot of pulled-out shots of her entire body, save for action scenes, etc. So most of the time it would be simple camera work to hide her nubs. 2) When they did need to remove her legs, they would most likely just wrap the "gone" portions in blue fabric, then shoot her against a blue screen, adding in video of the environment (and the other characters) later, which is not a very complicated effect (just time consuming.) It's the same exact technique they used to remove Lt. Dan's legs in Forest Gump.

And yeah, I too have faith in child actors, there have been some good ones. Just remember that there are bad adult-actors too!

Brainslinger
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
On the other hand we could always take the old fashioned route. Actors tend to prefer acting with what they can see after all.

"Good news! We liked your reading and we'd like to offer you the part of Susannah! How do you think you'll cope with the different personalities?"

"Don't talk t' me bout dat yo honky mahfah. I's a method actriss!
"Ooooh! I'm so sorry. I'm not sure what came over me! Don't worry young man I am very prepared. I am already living the roles don't you know!"

"Method actress did you say? We're delighted to hear that! I'm sure the next bit won't be too much of a sacrifice for you. Fire up the chain-saw, Nige."

Sorry. My humour goes to a dark place some times.

Jokes aside, Susannah should definitely be legless.

Brice
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Any actor who wants to be in a worthwhile DT movie or series should be willing to part with a few body parts for the part.

pathoftheturtle
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Now you know why they picked Bardem. Not many actors are dedicated enough to try their hand at such a part.

childe nolan-d
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Sorry of this is a similar thread, of if it needs to be posted elsewhere, but...
Where do you think the producers would like to shoot the majority of the film/series? I like Alberta and British Columbia for a lot of the outdoors shooting. Certain other locations would have to be considered because of story concerns. The Mohaine desert should be filmed as described, in an area with a lot of "hard-pan" earth. Certainly BC has some desert-land (at least enough to look like Mejis), but nothing so flat as the Utah salt flats or portions of eastern California.

Do you think they would try to film in NYC for necessary portions, or do you think a stand-in city would work with skyline shots?

I know that the films will have the budget to shoot wherever they want, and the sound stages should be able to serve many purposes, but do you think the TV portion will need to shoot in a location as dirt cheap as Vancouver?

Do you think they'll have to go to NZ, Romania, Czech Republic, Tunisia or something else? Do you think they might go the Spaghetti Western route?

childe nolan-d
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Who from the past do you like to play various roles in this magnum opus?

I can think of several, but I want to hear from you first.

childe nolan-d
03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm sure Bardem would lose his fingers for the role. I'm also sure Daniel Day-Lewis would find some way to have his fingers bitten off by actual lobstrocities, and suffer from weeks of blood-poisoning for the part! He would probably kill some guy on the A train track to prove a point.

Merlin1958
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, while not 'Deceased", but cretainly too old right now is "The" single actor that should be and is Roland; Clint Eastwood. After him as far as "deceased" actors "Charlton Heston".

Merlin1958
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
This thread is ripe for a merge to the "DT Film" thread!!!! Good thought though for that thread's discussion. Why not shoot the NYC scenes in NYC?

Slender
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Italy is probably the best choice if they hope to achieve an authentic 'spaghetti western' vibe. It's where the Leone/Eastwood films were shot, and we know how strongly they influenced King.

flaggwalkstheline
03-14-2011, 08:48 AM
ah but the italy scenes were supposed to be taking place in the american southwest

so why not film it in new mexico (which just coincidentally happens to be where i live)

Cixelsyd
03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
This thread is ripe for a merge to the "DT Film" thread!!!! Good thought though for that thread's discussion. Why not shoot the NYC scenes in NYC?

Because it is INSANELY expensive and time consuming to shoot in NYC. Lots of costs and hassles associated with shutting down streets for filming. A lot of movies set in NYC shoot in other locations. I was in Philly last year and was walking around one weekend and stumbled upon a four block area that had been closed for filming. All the cars parked and on the street had NY and NJ plates, because the film was set in NYC, but they were filming in Philly.

Merlin1958
03-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Because it is INSANELY expensive and time consuming to shoot in NYC. Lots of costs and hassles associated with shutting down streets for filming. A lot of movies set in NYC shoot in other locations. I was in Philly last year and was walking around one weekend and stumbled upon a four block area that had been closed for filming. All the cars parked and on the street had NY and NJ plates, because the film was set in NYC, but they were filming in Philly.

IDK, They were always shooting L&O right outside my office on 23rd St. They shot "Batman" and "Godzilla" in the same area (Down the block from the "Flat Iron" Bldg.) people are constantly shooting in NYC, constantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brainslinger
03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm quite amused to find out that some films set in American cities are actually filmed in London! Heh.

Anyway, they do a decent job nowadays of passing one place off for another. Not that that's a new thing.

Merlin1958
03-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm quite amused to find out that some films set in American cities are actually filmed in London! Heh.

Anyway, they do a decent job nowadays of passing one place off for another. Not that that's a new thing.

Oh yeah!!!! I know what you mean. Like passing off New Zealand for a legendary British land called "Hobbiton" and "Middle Earth"?

Yep. Hollywood is the land of "Movie Magic"!!!!!!!!!

:clap:

sullivan19
03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Oh yeah!!!! I know what you mean. Like passing off New Zealand for a legendary British land called "Hobbiton" and "Middle Earth"?

Didn't Vancouver double as NYC in the TV version of The Stand?

Merlin1958
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Didn't Vancouver double as NYC in the TV version of The Stand?

I, sir have been to Vancouver and Vancouver is no NYC, my good man!!!!! lol lol lol

flaggwalkstheline
03-31-2011, 09:20 AM
i read somewhere they always use vancouver and montreal as standins for newyork but they dirty up the filming area first because they would be too clean as they are

Brainslinger
04-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Hobbiton is a town. And yes, I've been there*. Very nice it is too, although us big folk have to be careful where we step.

As for 'Middle Earth' that's our phrase for the entire world, although we prefer the olde expression 'Midgard' when we're guzzling drinkies in the mead hall and sharpening our axes.

*I might have had to read a book to do so. ;)

klio
04-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Viggo Mortensen is my choice!

sullivan19
04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I couldn't find an individual cast thread, so I just thought I'd stick my choice of actors here. I have listed them by book. Some actors or actressess I have actually not seen much of and have gone by their look, so please comment if I have made a strange choice!

The Gunslinger

Roland: Javier Bardem.
I like this choice and think it will work. Look at his delivery in No Country For Old Men. I'm sure he has ice flowing through his veins!

Alice: Linda Hamilton

Walter: Hugo Weaving

Sylvia Pitson: Kathy Bates? I was stumped on this one. Maybe they could stick a younger girls face on a fat body via CGI!

Steven Deschain: Daniel Day Lewis or Liam Neeson

Gabrielle Deschain: Saffron Burrows

Cort: John C Reilly

Brown: Rhys Iffans

Drawing of the Three

Eddie: Bill Hader?

Susannah: Jada Pinkett Smith

Jake: No idea!

Henry: Donnie Wahlberg!

Balazaar: John Carrol Lynch

Elmer Chambers: J K Simmons w/ the hairdo from the Spiderman films!

The Wastelands

Tick Tock: Paul Levesque/HHH

Gasher: Jason Fleyming or Vinnie Jones

Calvin Tower: Richard Jenkins or Jim Broadbent

Aaron Deepneau: Jeffrey Demunn

Voice of Blaine: ?

Wizard and Glass

Renfew: Mark Boone JR

Sheriff Avery: Mark Addy

Jonas: Scott Glenn

Chancellor Rimmer: David Stratharian

Sheemie:??

Clay Reynolds: Jason Issacs

Roy Depape: Scott Grimes

Rhea: Helen Mirren

Cordelia: Tina Frey

Coral Thorin: Charlotte Rampling

Hart: James Cromwell

Lengyll: David Morse

*No idea about the younger parts of Roland etc*

Wolves of The Calla

Pere: Clint Eastwood!

Tian Jaffords: Thomas Jane

Zalia Jaffords: Carla Cugino

Rosa: Marisa Tomei

Ben Slightman Snr: Tim Robbins

Overholser: Brendon Gleeson

Eben Took: William Saddler

Mia: Evan Rachel Wood

Voice of Andy: Paul Bettany

Henchick: Jeff Bridges

Margaret Eisenhart: Cara Seymour

Vaughn Eisenhart : David Koechner

That's as far as I've got!

Slender
04-10-2011, 06:54 AM
The New York Times is claiming that Idris Elba will play Walter. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a black man as the man in black... he was always described as pale, and Walter o'Dim is his most important persona. I wouldn't mind if Elba played one of his many transformations (he is a shape-shifter, after all) but I would prefer if they kept to King's descriptions for the most part – the same goes for Susannah, of course. I say they should cast someone like Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman or Peter Stormare as Walter – someone who can pull off an effective scene-chewing lunatic villain, but who also approximates the images most of us have in our minds.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/449673/The-Dark-Tower/details

harrison ryan
04-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Idris Elba rocks. I loved The Wire. But I don't really see Stringer Bell as Walter O'Dim AT ALL, though he's a great actor. So far, it looks like the casting for DT is kind of...wonky. I'll try to reserve judgment. Like Bardem, the choice seems all wrong at first, but it could prove to be inspired.

Delah
04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't care so much if they alter Walter's race, but that also means that whoever they choose to play Jack Mort will also have to be African American, or else how on earth is Jake supposed to mistake Mort for Walter in The Gunslinger?

Eddie-Dean
04-19-2011, 02:52 AM
I have not read any other threads on this subject yet, so here are my fresh, intial thoughts on potential cast:

Roland - ANDY WHITFIELD - think looks the part, has a distinct, deep voice, right age, good actor (from that cheesy series Sparticus)

http://spartacus-blood-and-sand.maxupdates.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Time-for-Andy-for-Cancer-Therapy.jpg

Eddie - Cillian Murphjy - could play a good, scruff - was also in Red Eye, 28 Days Laterr, good actor and could be a convincing reformed junkie.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15200000/Perrier-s-Bounty-cillian-murphy-15293337-1256-527.jpg

Jake - Maybe Jamie Bell (Billy elliott) or Asa Butterfield (boy in stripe PJ'd), younger age.

http://www.trespassmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jamie-bell-431x400-300x278.jpg
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/photo/asa_butterfield.jpg

Susan - Sonja Sohn (Kima from Wire) - shows she can play a very strong female in the wire and a good age to match Eddie to have a possibilty of some chemistry:

http://www.yorubagirldancing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kima-greggs-1.jpg

Walter - for me Walter was always a mysterious Black Guy for some reason. I think Samuel L Jackon maybe, but his recent performances have been a bit larger than life and may be too 'hollywood' and well known (can imagine him pulling a gun asking Roland for a Royale with Cheese::)). Another one I like is MICHAEL K WILLIAMS. Omar from The Wire/Chalky from Boardwalk Empire:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAwNTg2NjA1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ4NzY5Mg@@._ V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

SO Many other characters not thought about, but will add as they come to me...

ALSO > sure there are many fantastic undiscovered actors that could fit the part perfectly and won't have the prejustice or us seeing the in different roles, although runs the risk of murdering the characters if they can't pull it off! Must at least of read the DT books :)

I'm undecided, but real excited!

Really hope HBO with their $$££ and production quality pick it up! Look at their past successes!

What do you think of my picks?

Eddie-Dean
04-19-2011, 03:52 AM
I have not read any other threads on this subject yet, so here are my fresh, intial thoughts on potential cast:

Roland - ANDY WHITFIELD - think looks the part, has a distinct, deep voice, right age, good actor (from that cheesy series Sparticus)

http://spartacus-blood-and-sand.maxupdates.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Time-for-Andy-for-Cancer-Therapy.jpg

Eddie - Cillian Murphjy - could play a good, scruff - was also in Red Eye, 28 Days Laterr, good actor and could be a convincing reformed junkie.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15200000/Perrier-s-Bounty-cillian-murphy-15293337-1256-527.jpg

Jake - Maybe Jamie Bell (Billy elliott) or Asa Butterfield (boy in stripe PJ'd), younger age.

http://www.trespassmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jamie-bell-431x400-300x278.jpg
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/photo/asa_butterfield.jpg

Susan - Sonja Sohn (Kima from Wire) - shows she can play a very strong female in the wire and a good age to match Eddie to have a possibilty of some chemistry:

http://www.yorubagirldancing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kima-greggs-1.jpg

Walter - for me Walter was always a mysterious Black Guy for some reason. I think Samuel L Jackon maybe, but his recent performances have been a bit larger than life and may be too 'hollywood' and well known (can imagine him pulling a gun asking Roland for a Royale with Cheese::)). Another one I like is MICHAEL K WILLIAMS. Omar from The Wire/Chalky from Boardwalk Empire:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAwNTg2NjA1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ4NzY5Mg@@._ V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

SO Many other characters not thought about, but will add as they come to me...

ALSO > sure there are many fantastic undiscovered actors that could fit the part perfectly and won't have the prejustice or us seeing the in different roles, although runs the risk of murdering the characters if they can't pull it off! Must at least of read the DT books :)

I'm undecided, but real excited!

Really hope HBO with their $$££ and production quality pick it up! Look at their past successes!

What do you think of my picks?

Eddie-Dean
04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Walter

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/the_road06.jpg