PDA

View Full Version : the DT movie thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

jayson
12-05-2007, 05:56 AM
I love Bruce camobell but id keep expecting him to say, "Groovy!" or, "Gimme some suger baby!".

Yeah, it'd take a few minutes to not see him as Ash, but I think he'd be an excellent choice. I'm also glad some others have suggested Hugh Laurie, as I think he would be a great Roland Deschain, particuarly the look of his face and eyes. He looks like he has been questing for the Tower his whole life. It'd also be an interesting turn to go from playing the mega-sarcastic House to playing Roland who doesn't understand sarcasm. The last time I re-read the series this spring, I pretty much envisioned Laurie as Roland and it worked perfectly.

A few other casting choices in my personal version, Eric Bana as Eddie. I used to think Tim Roth, but he's a bit too old now to play a 21 year old. I think Jamey Sheridan did a great job as Randall Flagg in the tv "The Stand" and would prob want to see him again as Flagg/Walter [perhaps with better hair than the mullet in the stand].

Truth be told, if I had my choice of how it would be presented as a series of films, I'd prefer an animated version, perhaps based on the artwork for the comic series.

Rjeso
12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Jimmy and I were talking about this last night, and he brought up a point that I agree with. I had chanced across the Narnia movie last weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the CGI - there was one scene that showed Aslan walking from behind, and they even put muscle jiggle in there each time he took a step. It was perfect. Jimmy observed that CGI is getting to be more and more seamless with reality each year, and that if we waited maybe another five years or so, the Dark Tower could be done in CGI and we could have a Roland that looks like a young Eastwood.

I kinda dig that idea.

jayson
12-05-2007, 09:22 AM
When it gets time for all the East Stoneham/Turtleback Lane stuff, I'd cast John Cullum as John Cullum. The actor John Cullum will be known to anyone who wacthed Northen Exposure as Holling Vincouer. He has also done several episodes of Law & Order and about a million other things. I think he'd be perfect as King's Cullum.

sai blaine
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Roland!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/dracpic1.jpg

jayson
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
How about Dick Cheney as the Crimson King?:panic:

Aerion
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Someone mentioned Eddie as being a hansome frat-boy or some such; why not Ryan Reynolds for Eddie. He has that fast-talking, sarcastic humor I imagine Eddie having.

As for Roland. Does anyone remeber the scene in Tombstone when Wyatt is confronting Billy bob Thornton? When Wyatt says, "Damn right you're scared, I can see that in your eyes." Holy smokes, Kurt looked awesome. I was afraid for Billy Bob's life!

Hixson Of The Eld
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't want the books tainted by a movie. If you must though the only man that could ever fill Rolands boots is Clint Eastwood, much younger of course, but him and only him.

Matt
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
But...that's impossible :unsure:

jayson
12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
But...that's impossible :unsure:

No way dude, just grab the the Unfound Door and I'll bring Black 13 and we'll go back and grab a younger Clint.:shoot:

MonteGss
12-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Jimmy and I were talking about this last night, and he brought up a point that I agree with. I had chanced across the Narnia movie last weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the CGI - there was one scene that showed Aslan walking from behind, and they even put muscle jiggle in there each time he took a step. It was perfect. Jimmy observed that CGI is getting to be more and more seamless with reality each year, and that if we waited maybe another five years or so, the Dark Tower could be done in CGI and we could have a Roland that looks like a young Eastwood.

I kinda dig that idea.

Me too. That would be a different spin on who to cast as Roland. Whose voice is closest? :)

LadyHitchhiker
12-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Don't throw things at me, but I have never liked Clint Eastwood...

I would cast perhaps Hugh Jackman or Thomas Jane as Roland. (anyone see him in the Mist? He was amazing!)

I do like the idea of Ryan Reynolds as Eddie...

Christopher Walken as Walter...

But if we're going to bring back people from the dead, or reanimate them, I would love to see Jonathan Brandis as Jake.

Darkthoughts
12-24-2007, 12:26 PM
After watching Mean Creek last night, I think Rory Kulkin could do a passable Jake.

Randall Flagg
01-07-2008, 05:41 PM
This site (http://www.needcoffee.com/html/darktower.htm)has gone to great lengths to cast the movie and explain their reasoning.

TerribleT
01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
This site (http://www.needcoffee.com/html/darktower.htm)has gone to great lengths to cast the movie and explain their reasoning.

A lot of VEREY interesting choices there, and some that I'm kind of surprised that I agree with.

jayson
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM

I've gotta say that I don't get at least 90% of their choices. To each his own I suppose but Peter Berg as Eddie? It's thinking like that which makes me hope it never does become a movie.

ZoNeSeeK
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
That site is fairly outdated i think Jerome. Hayley Osment and Angela Basset are far too old to play Jake and Susannah, by about 10 years.

(I just noted at the bottom it looks like it was put together in 1998, which would make sense given the choices.)

Randall Flagg
01-08-2008, 07:16 AM
It certainly is outdated, but they did put a lot of time and effort into it.
It also shows that current thoughts could be 10 years stale-and the movie yet to be made, a decade from now.

ZoNeSeeK
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Good point ;P

timtempest6
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I have all 7 books on cd and can't go to sleep without them playing, and i know a movie would in no way live up to the book but I still want to see it just to put a face in my mind of the people. all I can see of Roland is a cowboy hat and blue jeans, Eddie is a white shirt, Sue is a wealchair with arms, and Jake is a boy with dark hair even tho I know he has blond hair.

thats just the pictures i get. i know its weird.....

As far as actors I think Tom Cruise for Walter or Johnny Depp

ENDER1984
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
The only person i know for certain, would be Edward Norton as Eddie. I have about 15 different rolands in mind.....what do you guys think???

jayson
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
The only person i know for certain, would be Edward Norton as Eddie. I have about 15 different rolands in mind.....what do you guys think???

I think if you had a time machine Edward Norton is a great choice. Unfortunately he is now too old to play Eddie. I'm not saying he looks "old" or anything, but he definitely could no longer play 25 convincingly.

Big Coughin' Hunter
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
This is my 2 cents.

I think the perfect director for this movie would have to be a fan, first and foremost. While I like all the directors names in this thread so far, I might be going out on a limb here but, I think they might put their egos before the film. "I'm a director so I'll change this and this and this." But like I said I might just be going out on a limb about this.

The director of the Dark Tower film would have to ask him or herself this question, "Can I bring this project to life, while pleasing the hardcore fans of the series AND and at the same time draw in new fans of the film AND try to make the money back that it cost to film this monster?"

Next, it would be very, very hard to put all of this material, 7 books, into a film and make it work. You'd need very good writers to make this work. After that, storyboard the heck out of it. Perhaps the only person that could work on a script that would even be suitable would be Sai King himself. And even that might be a stretch.

And if it even made it this far, you'd have to find suitable actors and actresses for the job. This might even be harder than shoe-horning the books into script-form. Again, egos and countless other small problems that would arise during pre-production and auditions might drive a person nuts.

And on top of all that, you'd need a good producer to oversee this entire project. A good producer and EVERYBODY on this project would have to work with each other for at least 6 months (rough estimate) to finish the film. And that's just one film! What if it's decided they're going to make 3 or 4 or even 7 films!

Wow!

It would be very, very hard to make this film. This may or may not be the problems this DT project would face. These are only some of the things I've been thinking of while reading the series.

I don't have any Hollywood credentials at all but I consider myself a screenwriter. And I'm only an amateur. And a screenwriter in Hollywood might be at the bottom of a totem-pole.

Many, many hurdles on the road to a DT film!

Again these are only my personal opinions. :blush:

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 04:32 AM
I like what you wrote there Big C :thumbsup: JJ Abrams is a major King and DT fan, I think thats why King felt comfortable with him getting involved.
Theres a good interview somewhere where he meets JJ, Damon and Carlton (all Lost producers/writers) I'll see if I can find it...

Big Coughin' Hunter
01-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Cool, I'd like to read that. :orely:

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Here ya go ;)
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1562722,00.html

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll really have to think hard about going to see it when it does come out. If I think they've cast it badly, I doubt I'd watch it at all as it'll taint the images I have when I read it.

jayson
01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I'll really have to think hard about going to see it when it does come out. If I think they've cast it badly, I doubt I'd watch it at all as it'll taint the images I have when I read it.

Ok, let me ask you specifically, would you prefer a cast of competent unknowns, or a cast of actors you recognize?

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Can I have a third option - don't make it at all? :D

Um, I really don't know. I sometimes picture well known actors when I read the books, but I picture them as they were in certain roles (ie, I often picture Eddie as Eric Stoltz in Pulp Fiction...totally wrong lookswise I know, but go figure ;) ) so, it wouldn't necessarily be the people I'd cast because they'd have aged etc.

The trouble is, whats right for me is bound to be wrong for someone else. I'd prefer it if film makers let books be books and looked for scriptwriters with more originality and ideas of their own.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I have always said unkowns are better, because that means I won't be difficult for me to get lost in the story. If I see Hugh Jackman or Viggo Mortensen (God, have they not been recommended enough yet?) in the lead part, I'm going to be thinking of them in their other major roles instead of this one. Besides, can't people see? I want an actor who looks like the way Roland is described, not an actor who has played a similar role already in another film.

jayson
01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Um, I really don't know. I sometimes picture well known actors when I read the books,

Fair enough. I do the same thing and that's why it makes me feel like a cast of unknowns would be better. I think we all have our own ideas of who would be right for us in those roles, but let's stay with your hypothetical cast of Eric Stoltz for a moment... what if someone else just never saw that choice coming and he remained "eric stoltz as eddie" instead of just being eddie? that's the problem i had with the stand miniseries. every actor, save jamey sheridan, was already known to me and never stopped being themselves as their characters. with a cast of unknowns that guy roland meets on the plane would just be eddie from the get go. another reason that if i were to support a movie at all, it'd be an animated one.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Can I have a third option - don't make it at all? :D

Um, I really don't know. I sometimes picture well known actors when I read the books, but I picture them as they were in certain roles (ie, I often picture Eddie as Eric Stoltz in Pulp Fiction...totally wrong lookswise I know, but go figure ;) ) so, it wouldn't necessarily be the people I'd cast because they'd have aged etc.

The trouble is, whats right for me is bound to be wrong for someone else. I'd prefer it if film makers let books be books and looked for scriptwriters with more originality and ideas of their own.

Yeah, they've already tried that, and the results we are getting nowadays are films like "I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry", and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". ehhh... I think I can handle adaptations right now.

jayson
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I want an actor who looks like the way Roland is described, not an actor who has played a similar role already in another film.

That's it exactly!

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I want an actor who looks like the way Roland is described, not an actor who has played a similar role already in another film.

That's it exactly!

Well, obviousely that is an aspect of this argument that you and I can agree on. But, when it comes to animation . . . I just don't see it working. Okay, maybe that's too harsh, but honestly, if the Dark Tower is going to be told through animation, I vote for Anime. That may sound odd to some of you, but I have been growing more and more out of love with traditional European-style animation throughout the recent years. I can see it now: wiggly-looking characters with ugly color and absolutely no originality in the character design whatsoever. Animated LOTR, anyone? With Anime (if you are really an Anime fan, you will know this is true) there is actually much more variety in look and feel than alot of people usually think, and I think that stykle would actually work for Roland's world.

However, I still would rather this not be made at all. That being said, if live action would be done, I would vote for a brand new visual style be jused, like with films such as Sin City, 300 and Ultraviolet. Think of how interesting the live-action portrayal of this story would work if it were done in suich a way. I think it would look pretty damn good, and it would certainly hold my interest. Let's also not forget that with films mentioned above, the over-the-top action worked because the visuals were so different to begin with.

Darkthoughts
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah, they've already tried that, and the results we are getting nowadays are films like "I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry", and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". ehhh... I think I can handle adaptations right now.

:lol:

Mr Bean isn't an original concept, it was a bloody awful tv series before it became a film :D
Anyway, we can't call those people scriptwriters any more than you can call a tabloid literature :P

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Mr Bean isn't an original concept, it was a bloody awful tv series before it became a film :D
Anyway, we can't call those people scriptwriters any more than you can call a tabloid literature :P

Eh, true. I guess I was wrong about Mr. Bean being original, but according to you the original show wasn't any good, either, so I wasn't far off, :P

jayson
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM

That's it exactly!

Well, obviousely that is an aspect of this argument that you and I can agree on. But, when it comes to animation . . . I just don't see it working. Okay, maybe that's too harsh, but honestly, if the Dark Tower is going to be told through animation, I vote for Anime. That may sound odd to some of you, but I have been growing more and more out of love with traditional European-style animation throughout the recent years. I can see it now: wiggly-looking characters with ugly color and absolutely no originality in the character design whatsoever. Animated LOTR, anyone? With Anime (if you are really an Anime fan, you will know this is true) there is actually much more variety in look and feel than alot of people usually think, and I think that stykle would actually work for Roland's world.

However, I still would rather this not be made at all. That being said, if live action would be done, I would vote for a brand new visual style be jused, like with films such as Sin City, 300 and Ultraviolet. Think of how interesting the live-action portrayal of this story would work if it were done in suich a way. I think it would look pretty damn good, and it would certainly hold my interest. Let's also not forget that with films mentioned above, the over-the-top action worked because the visuals were so different to begin with.

I'm certainly open to different styles of animation, anime certainly being among them. My point was simply that animation in general would be a more suitable medium than live action. As for the "new live action," I wouldn't want to see too much of it with DT. It has a tendency to be more style than substance, something I wouldn't want to happen to this story.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:20 PM

That's it exactly!

I'm certainly open to different styles of animation, anime certainly being among them. My point was simply that animation in general would be a more suitable medium than live action. As for the "new live action," I wouldn't want to see too much of it with DT. It has a tendency to be more style than substance, something I wouldn't want to happen to this story.

Well, I do see your point: Ultraviolet sucked, I never saw 300 and don't really want to, but Sin City I actually liked, so I'm not saying that the style alone makes a good movie, but don't you think with the subject matter involved here (Alternate realms, etc.) that a style in the same vein as the ones I mentioned would really compliment it? Think of this: each subsequent level of the Tower could have it's on "look", and the keystone level could remain untouched on film. Just thinking aloud, here. I wouldn't want the filmmakers to simply substitute the story for flashy imagery, but I truly believe that it would work to the story's strengths. It isn't a bad thing if it's done right.

jayson
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, I do see your point: Ultraviolet sucked, I never saw 300 and don't really want to, but Sin City I actually liked, so I'm not saying that the style alone makes a good movie, but don't you think with the subject matter involved here (Alternate realms, etc.) that a style in the same vein as the ones I mentioned would really compliment it? Think of this: each subsequent level of the Tower could have it's on "look", and the keystone level could remain untouched on film. Just thinking aloud, here. I wouldn't want the filmmakers to simply substitute the story for flashy imagery, but I truly believe that it would work to the story's strengths. It isn't a bad thing if it's done right.

It would essentially come down to who directs it. I can think of very few who I think could get it right. On a hypothetical level I agree with you though, a similar style to the one you describe could work well.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 12:28 PM

It would essentially come down to who directs it. I can think of very few who I think could get it right. On a hypothetical level I agree with you though, a similar style to the one you describe could work well.

That's all I'm saying. Obviousely if it isn't wirtten or directed well, it won't matter how flashy it looks, but I am simply suggesting that the community could possibly meet in the middle and be happy with a live-action film that has a very animation-esque quality to it's look. This way, we could still see realistic violence and action, but at the same time the more outragousely-described visuals could still be pulled off well, because the film wouldn't look 100% "real-life" to begin with.

Lord_Vertigo
01-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I wonder who would do the music ...

I would love to hear what someone like Hans Zimmer (Batman Begins), Harry Gregson-Williams (Narnia, Kingdom of Heaven), or Patrick Doyle (Frankenstein, Harry Potter 4) could do.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Did Doyle aslo do Potter 5? If not, then no thanks, man. Didn't really care much for the 4th movie's score. Although John Williams is getting a bit old these days, as well.

Zimmer would be my top choice, as I absolutely adored his score for "The Last Samurai".

Why did you not include "Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3" in Harry Gregson-Williams' list? That to me is some top-notch musical scoring, even if it is only a video game. Anyway, he would also be a fabulous choice.

Lord_Vertigo
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I limited my choices to music I've actually heard.

Doyle did not do Harry Potter 5. I think it was Nicholas Hooper who did that one.

Zimmer's score was great for Last Samurai.

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
These are my personal favorites:
Roland: Viggo Mortensen
Eddie: Nathan Fillion
Susannah: Angela Bassett
Jake: No Frikken Clue
Oy: CGI with a Dachshund Stand In

Walter/Marten/Flagg: Jamey Sheridan (Yank his butt off of Law and Order)
How about ya'll?

jayson
01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

How about ya'll?

Not bad choices overall Jon. Not sure who Nathan Fillion is, but I will look him up on IMDB and check him out. FYI, Jamey Sheridan is no longer on Law & Order CI [he was replaced a few seasons ago by Eric Bogosian, a choice I was not pleased with].

RUBE
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM

How about ya'll?

Not bad choices overall Jon. Not sure who Nathan Fillion is, but I will look him up on IMDB and check him out. FYI, Jamey Sheridan is no longer on Law & Order CI [he was replaced a few seasons ago by Eric Bogosian, a choice I was not pleased with].

You do not have to look far for a picture of Nathan Fillion. John Wolf's avatar has his picture. He is the main actor in Firefly/Serenity if you have ever seen them. I think Nathan would be a better Roland than Eddie. He is too old for Eddie. He is probably too young to play Roland now but maybe not by the time they actually film The Dark Tower.

sarah
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone-

Sorry for the mix up and confusion today with these two threads. I have split the two threads that were merged earlier today. Lets try and keep them on topic.

Thank you!!

~maerlyn

Malficeus
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Ive heard this discussion many a time with my friends and it always comes to Clint eastwood as Roland. Im sorry but he it just to cold and old to play roland maybe Stephen Deshcain but not Roland but as for charecters

Roland-Maybe Christian Bale
Jake-that kid who was in harry potter as the blond
Walter-Johnny depp sounded good
Eddie-believe it or not but Jim Carrey as he was a long time ago
Susannah- Gina Torres(Serenity cast)

Lord_Vertigo
01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes, Gina Torres for Susannah. I can totally see that. I also like the idea of Halle Berry.

Will Dearborn
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
After seeing 3:10 to Yuma, I can see C. Bale playing Roland. Having Eastwood play S. Deshcain sounds like a good idea but I think he might be a little to old for that role. What about having Jimmy Gandolfini playing Cort? I could definetly see that

Jonn Wolfe
01-18-2008, 01:36 AM
I thought about Gina Torres, but I think the Firefly casting seemed a bit much. Hehe.

Will Dearborn
01-18-2008, 03:40 AM
I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews from all the members on the site regarding a Dark Tower movie. Honestly, I couldn't be more excited. Reading has always been a great passion of mine through out the years and movies has been just as important to me as books. I bought the hardcover Gunslinger Born graphic novel and fell in love with it. Having the words from the Wizard and Glass come out onto picture really made that part of the book come alive for me. I could handle the story being told in a mini- series or anima, but what I'm really looking for is a decently budgeted and well casted series of movies. The movies rights are in the hands of people who care about the book and it plots, so hopefully it can be tastefully done without losing the core meanings of the story. Hollywood does have a way of totally screwing up that transition (i.e. any movie from a Tom Clancy book or any of the harry Potter movies) but any movie should be better than nothng at all. It won't make me dislike any of the books or the story. In fact, if the movies are done in a fashion i don't agree with, then the books will be just that more appreciated.

Big Coughin' Hunter
01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Well said, Will Dearborn. :thumbsup:

TerribleT
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
(i.e. any movie from a Tom Clancy book or any of the harry Potter movies)

I'm a huge Tom Clancy fan myself, and I mostly agree with you, but I thought The Hunt for Red October was well done.

I have a difficult time imagining Gandolfini as a cowboy. Eastwood as Steven Deschain might be really good, I don't know about Christian Bale for Roland.

jayson
01-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a difficult time imagining Gandolfini as a cowboy.

I have a difficult time thinking he can effectively drop the accent for long enough to be a convincing choice.

ENDER1984
01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.uploadpad.com/files/Ashton-Kutcher-Biography.jpg

Ashton Kutcher as Eddie Dean.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/crash1.jpg

Thandie Newton from Crash and MI3 as Susannah.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/jackandbobby_loganlerman.jpg

Logah Lerman from Butterfly Effect as Jake Chambers.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/ednorton.jpg

Edward Norton as Roland Deschain.

Matt
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm still with Hugh Laurie--he would be the best Roland ever.

The guy who plays "Mac" in the commercials for Eddie

Will Dearborn
01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Watch the last castle with gandolfini. He doesn't have an accent in that movie. Reading through the Dark Tower books, I see Cort as a large overbearing personality who must get his way. Sounds like Tony Soprano to me. You might be suprised by his range and anyone who is an actor should be able to play a cowboy. Put a cowboy hat and boots with a little bit of face fuzz and you get a cowboy.

Sai Joshua
01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Profiles/20060929/244.brolin.josh.092706.jpg&imgrefurl=http://yahoo.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp%3Fuuid%3D7fde8be0-b8e0-44ce-ade0-1e7faf8d497b&h=327&w=244&sz=31&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=eSt5ouL6mM97vM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJosh%2BBrolin%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

I am still pulling for Josh Brolin to be Roland. He is getting a good rep for being the new tough guy in Hollywood. When I read the DT series, I imagined him as Roland. I keep hearing Hugh Laurie this and Hugh Laurie that, I like Hugh Laurie, but as I have said before, I would expect him to talk the bad guys to death before he would shoot them and rescue me.

Kudos to whoever came up with Ashton for Eddie Dean , I had not thought of him for Eddie, but I think I could see him doing a good Eddie.

Matt
01-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Roland was a talker though, as much diplomat as killer imo. I think House would be perfect for it.

As far as Ashton is concerned, don't we need someone who can actually act? :lol:

jayson
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Roland was a talker though, as much diplomat as killer imo. I think House would be perfect for it.

As far as Ashton is concerned, don't we need someone who can actually act? :lol:

Agreed on both counts Matt. Truth be told, it's casting choices like that which make me cringe at the idea of it becoming a film at all.

William50
01-18-2008, 04:08 PM

That is where you went wrong.:nope:

TerribleT
01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeeah, Hugh Laurie isn't really doing it for me either.

Mike Beck
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
i hate that bastard! damn house.

roland - jerry springer
eddie - carrot top
susannah - diana ross
jake - danny devito
oy - vern troyer

that's gold, i promise you. :D

Malficeus
01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.uploadpad.com/files/Ashton-Kutcher-Biography.jpg

Ashton Kutcher as Eddie Dean.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/crash1.jpg

Thandie Newton from Crash and MI3 as Susannah.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/jackandbobby_loganlerman.jpg

Logah Lerman from Butterfly Effect as Jake Chambers.

http://www.uploadpad.com/files/ednorton.jpg

Ashton cuthcer is even better than mine i like that but your guy for roland? Might as well get some country singer to do it then him

Mike Beck
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
ashton kutcher? i dunno. i don't think he could pull off the eddie dean attitude.

I like James Franco as Eddie Dean. A big reason for this is because of the movie City By The Sea where he plays a heroin addict. He's got that new york/new jersey thing going.

William50
01-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't even think that Ashton kutcher is a very good actor!

Mike Beck
01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
me neither. i never saw butterfly effect. but when he does movies like "The boss's daughter" and the "dozen kids" one, it's hard to take him seriously.

Will Dearborn
01-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I like the idea of Norton playing Roland. He is one of the most talented actors working these days. The guy can play a neo-nazi in one movie and then play a insomnia riddled pussy in the next. If thats not versatility, then I don't know what is. Franco as E. Dean would be a good idea if he actually acted like he had a sense of humor.

TerribleT
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Thandie Newton was in Chronicles of Riddick too, wasn't she? She rocked in that, and you're right, she could totally do Susannah!! I think I might be able to see Edward Norton as Roland.

Malficeus
01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
ashton kutcher? i dunno. i don't think he could pull off the eddie dean attitude.

I like James Franco as Eddie Dean. A big reason for this is because of the movie City By The Sea where he plays a heroin addict. He's got that new york/new jersey thing going.

yeah James Franco might be able to pull it off but his hair would bother me when i think Eddie i think guy with long hair like Roland's not some curly white guys fro but then again anything is possible in holywood

Still Servant
01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Logah Lerman's time to play Jake Chambers might have already passed.

He's in the film 3:10 To Yuma and he's a lot older now. Like a teen. He's a good actor though.

I still like Clive Owen for Roland. I think he could pull it off.

ENDER1984
01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.uploadpad.com/files/dreamz04110636.jpg
what about topher grace from "that 70's show" and "traffic" as eddie dean???

kithereal
01-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Viggo Mortensen - Roland
Jake Gillanhall- eddie
Kit

cozener
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Ok, let me ask you specifically, would you prefer a cast of competent unknowns, or a cast of actors you recognize?For the ka-tet, including Callahan, I'd prefer unknowns or not quite famous character actors, which is to say people you might see in movies, maybe even some big movies, but you wouldn't be able to name them. It would be other parts where using bigger names would be most effective.

TerribleT
01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
For the ka-tet, including Callahan, I'd prefer unknowns or not quite famous character actors, which is to say people you might see in movies, maybe even some big movies, but you wouldn't be able to name them. It would be other parts where using bigger names would be most effective.

:clap:

jayson
01-22-2008, 06:13 AM
For the ka-tet, including Callahan, I'd prefer unknowns or not quite famous character actors, which is to say people you might see in movies, maybe even some big movies, but you wouldn't be able to name them. It would be other parts where using bigger names would be most effective.

The more posts I read suggesting certain named actors, the more I agree with my original thoughts on casting unknowns. Here's my biggest fear..."Coming this fall to a theatre near you... Stephen King's epic The Dark Tower... starring Hugh Jackman as Roland, Ashton Kutcher as Eddie, Halle Berry as Susannah, some kid who isn't blonde as Jake, and starring television's Jason Lee as the voice of Oy."

No offense to anyone who suggested any of the above, but I want a Roland who is Roland, not who played other heroes in other movies. Unless of course you want to cast Bruce Campbell. That I'm down with.

ENDER1984
01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
It's all about who can portray the characters the best!!!!! You can cast people that look just like roland, eddie, jake, and so on, but if they can't act for shit it won't matter what they look like!!! does that not make sense!!! i would rather have a believable performance from some of today's top actors than a no name stumble through the script...and you people that keep saying things like "well ...his hair is not even blond!!" it's called hair dye!!! are you kidding me!

jayson
01-22-2008, 08:43 AM
It's all about who can portray the characters the best!!!!! You can cast people that look just like roland, eddie, jake, and so on, but if they can't act for shit it won't matter what they look like!!! does that not make sense!!! i would rather have a believable performance from some of today's top actors than a no name stumble through the script...and you people that keep saying things like "well ...his hair is not even blond!!" it's called hair dye!!! are you kidding me!

so only well known actors can act? that's fairly riddiculous. firstly, half the people suggested CAN'T act. Obviously acting ability is the most important characteristic, but that's what auditions are for. You can't just close the door on talent because someone else has done more work that people know. I'd rather have a believable performance, period.

ENDER1984
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
my point is that it seems like most people are worried about what the actors look like and not how they actually act...i'm not saying that unknowns can't act, but more often than not they can't....hayden christensen from star wars for example...totally ruined it!! that's just one example...but i would just prefer that stephen king's baby be handle professionally.

Matt
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow, not me man. I think unknowns can bring a very fresh perspective to the project.

When I say unknown, I don't mean people that have never acted. Just not mega stars.

jayson
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow, not me man. I think unknowns can bring a very fresh perspective to the project.

When I say unknown, I don't mean people that have never acted. Just not mega stars.

Oh my Gan, Matt and I agree on something. File that under "this date in King history." :lol:

Seriously though, this is exactly what I meant. My primary concern would always be acting ability. I just don't think there is any necessary correlation between the amount of work an actor gets and how talented they are. There are plenty of "stars" who couldn't, in the words of Eric Cartman, "act their way out of a nutsack."

ENDER1984
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
i just think this is a sink or swim kind of project.... i just think the risk is to great for a "fresh perspective." the i have suggested the people i have is because i don't happen to know actors that you might call "unknown", so i'm going with what i know and what seems to fit the characters in my mind's eye. i goes back to my original point....somebody is going to be pissed no matter who plays who....it might be you ...it might be me. but my money's on you. :)

jayson
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
somebody is going to be pissed no matter who plays who....it might be you ...it might be me. but my money's on you. :)

i'd imagine you're prob right on that one Ender. :lol:

Matt
01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm pissed every time no matter what! :lol:

Lord_Vertigo
01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Roland - Josh Brolin
Steven Deschain - Sam Elliott
Flagg - Jamey Sheridan (none other!)
Eddie - Adam Stork (I know he's probably too old by now, but I keep picturing "Larry Underwood" from The Stand movie in this role), also someone created a fan trailer on YouTube that featured Ewan McGregor in this role. Or the guy who plays "Peter Petrelli" in Heroes.
Susannah - someone's already suggested the actress who plays "Zoe" in Firefly.
Jake - Haley Joel Osment would have been perfect, but is now too old.
Oy - please not another CGI character ... give me the old Jim Henson muppet any day.

William50
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
All I know is that Susannah should be played by Halle Berry!!

Malficeus
01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
im sorry to say guys but if clint eastwood was young enough to play roland (like i wish he was) he would be to cold to play roland because you have to rember he shows affection and in the series eddie keeps thinking how did he vere think og him as a heartless robot

Darkthoughts
01-23-2008, 02:57 AM
I can really see Willem Dafoe as the Tick Tock Man. I was unfortunate enough to see Speed 2 last night, and in that he seemed perfect as Ticky.

Lord_Vertigo
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I've been watching "Torchwood" every now and then, and I can see John Barrowman ("Capt. Jack Harkness") as Eddie.

Darkthoughts
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry to say I think he's a dreadful actor - really wooden.

Gunslanger
01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/57046330.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE32BEB5DCE9E5FDAC A40A659CEC4C8CB6[IMG]

Billy Drago as Roland.

movieman19
02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Edward Norton as Eddie. My original choice was Heath Ledger though :(
Dillion Freasier as Jake. He was in There Will Be Blood and played the son.
Gary Oldman as The Man In Black

I'm not too sure about Roland though..
Russel Crowe??
I can't think of any at the moment.

childeluke
02-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Roland- either Clint Eastwood or an unknown
Eddie-unknown, or Ed Norton
Walter/Randal Flagg- Tim Roth
Steven Deschain- Ian McShane
Jake-unknown again

Matt
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
YouTube - Hugh Laurie Tribute. Mad about you.

Huge Laurie montage

Wuducynn
02-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Hugh Laurie really does look like how I see Roland in my mind.

Darkthoughts
02-08-2008, 04:01 AM
*headdesk*

I quite like the look of that Billy Drago geezer though!

jayson
02-08-2008, 04:55 AM

the first time i thought it i thought i'd gone crazy. then i did an audio re-read and pictured Laurie. He'd be the perfect Roland and the more I see him the more I see it.

Matt
02-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I totally agree and if you are a constant House watcher, you can see it every time.

jayson
02-08-2008, 07:22 AM
exactly matt. much of what he does with the role of house shows me how great he would be as roland.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Yes, lets just ignore Lisa and hope she hits her head hard enough on her desk to pass out so she doesn't post in this thread anymore :)

Matt
02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I think that would probably be best at this point :lol:

:wub: for Lisa and her way off casting opinions.

Farson
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
K, what about:

Roland: Bruce Cambell (gotta beat the corny out of him first).
Eddie: Ed Norton
Susannah: Jada Pinkett
Jake: hrm......?
Oy: any of the Baldwins
Walter: Christian Bale

Darkthoughts
02-08-2008, 05:39 PM

the first time i thought it i thought i'd gone crazy. then i did an audio re-read and pictured Laurie. He'd be the perfect Roland and the more I see him the more I see it.
Have I shown you the Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster clips?

Yes, lets just ignore Lisa and hope she hits her head hard enough on her desk to pass out so she doesn't post in this thread anymore :)
:P

:wub: for Lisa and her way off casting opinions.
:huglove:

mia/susannah
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I think Viggo Mortenson would make a great Roland. Clint Eastwood would have also made a great Roland in his day.

MonteGss
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I think Viggo Mortenson would make a great Roland.

I just re-watched Lord of the Rings and I must admit, there were scenes where this crossed my mind as well.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Viggo would be good, except the Roland has a deep voice and Viggo doesn't. He would have to do some voice work to change that. Maybe take some testosterone...

MonteGss
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Viggo would be good, except the Roland has a deep voice and Viggo doesn't. He would have to do some voice work to change that. Maybe take some testosterone...

I now hear Roland as Guidall does him. During the events of DT7, that is how I imagine Roland's voice.

Do you think Viggo could pull off Roland in looks alone? Probably not as good as House (imo) but maybe...?

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I now hear Roland as Guidall does him. During the events of DT7, that is how I imagine Roland's voice.

Do you think Viggo could pull off Roland in looks alone? Probably not as good as House (imo) but maybe...?

I am with you all the way on Guidall's voice being Roland's, except for King's. Viggo's looks definitely. He's a solid number two in that department..and I don't mean that as in "shit".

jayson
02-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I think Viggo could do it. I'm not sure I'd want him to, but surely he could. I'd prefer Laurie or it was nice to see another vote for Bruce Campbell.

Lisa, seen the Black Adder clip, but not the other.

Darkthoughts
02-09-2008, 07:50 AM
YouTube - Jeeves to the Rescue
Watch it all, so you can see the silliness of casting Hugh Laurie as Roland. I am determined to put you all off! :lol:

I think Hugh Laurie is great, I really do - but he's a comedian foremost over here and it'd ruin DT for me were it to happen.

MonteGss
02-09-2008, 08:22 AM
We don't care if it is ruined for you! :P :lol:

Matt
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Not to mention, Roland could be pretty damn funny when he wanted to.

I think its the "determined ass" quality that shows up in everything he does that works so well.

Lance
02-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe the guy who plays Sawyer for Roland. He'd have to lose the fake southern accent though.

Erin
02-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I read something online once that said when Josh Holloway (Sawyer) first tried to get a job in Hollywood, he was criticized for having a southern accent and he went to a voice coach to help lose it. Then when he was cast as Sawyer, he had to try his best to bring it back. :lol:

jayson
02-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I think Hugh Laurie is great, I really do - but he's a comedian foremost over here and it'd ruin DT for me were it to happen.

Kinda gets to my point about casting known quantities. It seems like he won't be able to become Roland for you, but would remain Hugh Laurie. I disagree, but given the suggestion someone made about Ashton Kutcher, I can see where you are coming from if that is how you are used to seeing Laurie.

Wuducynn
02-10-2008, 05:05 AM
We don't care if it is ruined for you! :P :lol:

Don't say that, of course I care that it gets ruined for Lisa! Thats what life is all about afterall.

Jean
02-10-2008, 06:22 AM

Kinda gets to my point about casting known quantities. It seems like he won't be able to become Roland for you, but would remain Hugh Laurie. I disagree, but given the suggestion someone made about Ashton Kutcher, I can see where you are coming from if that is how you are used to seeing Laurie.
probably Hugh Laurie could became Roland... more or less... but only if you not only have never seen any of Jeeves&Wooster or Black Adder, but have pledged to never ever see them, because his achievements there are so great they're able to obliterate any "serious" part of his, whether you saw it first or not. (And, if you never see them, it'll be a great pity, they are real good...)

Matt
02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm seriously going to have to watch these. I think it would just offer another window into how talented the guys is. Because he is seriously not funny in most of House--(except in a dry way that could be perfectly Roland imo)

Mordred Deschain
02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I think Viggo Mortenson would make a great Roland. Clint Eastwood would have also made a great Roland in his day.

Actually Viggo would be a good Roland in the Gunslinger, but if you read how Roland looks and acts by the time you get to the Wolves of Calla, it fits Clint Eastwood perfect especially for age.

And as far as Bruce Cambell goes, I'm a huge fan, but not as Roland. He would have to be Eddie for the wisecracks. Don't see Roland walking around calling the folks of the Calla "Primitive Screwheads" and talking about the guns of Eld as his "boomsticks".

jayson
02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
And as far as Bruce Cambell goes, I'm a huge fan, but not as Roland. He would have to be Eddie for the wisecracks. Don't see Roland walking around calling the folks of the Calla "Primitive Screwheads" and talking about the guns of Eld as his "boomsticks".

you do of course realize that Ash was a character, and not actually Bruce playing himself? he wouldn't make wisecracks if he were roland, he'd say what the script told him too. you think when i say i see hugh laurie as roland i am thinking of him as dr. house? it's the actor, not the characters they've already played that are in question. other roles may show what certain actors can do, but they certainly don't show how someone would be in another role.

Jean
02-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm seriously going to have to watch these.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Darkthoughts
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I read something online once that said when Josh Holloway (Sawyer) first tried to get a job in Hollywood, he was criticized for having a southern accent and he went to a voice coach to help lose it. Then when he was cast as Sawyer, he had to try his best to bring it back. :lol:
On one of the podcasts the producers said much the same thing. When Josh Holloway read for the part of Sawyer, he did it in a weird accent and they asked him what was up with it, and he said as Sawyer wasn't specified as being Southern he thought they might want him to change his accent...but they didn't...thank goodness :wub:

Mordred Deschain
02-10-2008, 03:05 PM

you do of course realize that Ash was a character, and not actually Bruce playing himself? he wouldn't make wisecracks if he were roland, he'd say what the script told him too. you think when i say i see hugh laurie as roland i am thinking of him as dr. house? it's the actor, not the characters they've already played that are in question. other roles may show what certain actors can do, but they certainly don't show how someone would be in another role.

You do realize that Bruce is typecast, right? How much have you seen Bruce in? He dosn't go to far past the Ash character. Do you know what acting like a Stooge means? If not, read If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of B actor. And maybe you'll get my comment. Or watch Brisco County Jr., The Legend of Hercules, Zena Warrior Princes (which were all start by Sam Rami then taken over by Bruce during some seasons). And have you seen the Old Spice adds. Have you seen the Spiderman movies? Tell me where Bruce IS NOT being Bruce?

jayson
02-10-2008, 03:08 PM

You do realize that Bruce is typecast, right? How much have you seen Bruce in? He dosn't go to far past the Ash character. Do you know what acting like a Stooge means? If not, read If Chins Could Kill: the life of B actor. And maybe you'll get my comment. Or watch Brisco County Jr., The Legend of Hercules, Zena Warrior Princes (which were all start by Sam Rami then taken over by Bruce during some seasons). And have you seen the Old Spice adds. Have you seen the Spiderman movies? Tell me where Bruce IS NOT being Bruce?

i agree he is typecast. that doesn't mean he couldn't do other things if a script called for it.

Mordred Deschain
02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
okay, I'm not trying to argue, but Bruce Campbell is the ultimate B actor, and I love him for it. And if you want the Dark Tower (movies, tv show, whatever) not to be one of King's downfalls, you need the people that will really fit the character. that's all I'm saying.

jayson
02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
okay, I'm not trying to argue, but Bruce Campbell is the ultimate B actor, and I love him for it. And if you want the Dark Tower (movies, tv show, whatever) not to be one of King's downfalls, you need the people that will really fit the character. that's all I'm saying.

no argument here either. ultimately i agree with you. i only suggest campbell as a visual reference. i would cast hugh laurie, or perhaps someone i didn't know who seemed to fit the role. of course that's all hypothetical. i'd prefer it be animated or not made at all. now you wanna argue over who should be the voice of an animated roland? :lol:

Wuducynn
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Hugh Laurie or Viggo Mortinsen for me..whats his name from 30 Seconds to Mars would be a great Eddie I think. I'm still thinking about who could play Jake though. Susannah I've seen a lot of actresses that I could see playing her, though I can't remember their names.

jayson
02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
here's a susannah for you...

kimberly elise

http://i29.tinypic.com/29e1us4.jpg

Mordred Deschain
02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
As far as Susannah goes I have my own thoughts....

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/wandasykes.jpg

Wanda Sykes. She's a bit older than Susannah is suppose to be, but I think she could pull off a good Detta (right that's the bad side of her?).

Jake would be interesting. It would almost be whatever up and coming child actor is around. Not sure what kid is big right now.

RUBE
02-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Wanda Sykes. She's a bit older than Susannah is suppose to be, but I think she could pull off a good Detta (right that's the bad side of her?).

Jake would be interesting. It would almost be whatever up and coming child actor is around. Not sure what kid is big right now.

Wanda Sykes? I really hope you're joking. She couldn't play a serious part to save her life. She is a comedian not an actor.

Wuducynn
02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
here's a susannah for you...

kimberly elise

http://i29.tinypic.com/29e1us4.jpg

Hmmmm interesting choice. I'd have to see her act in another movie before making up my mind.

Darkthoughts
02-11-2008, 03:24 AM
I'm seriously going to have to watch these. I think it would just offer another window into how talented the guys is. Because he is seriously not funny in most of House--(except in a dry way that could be perfectly Roland imo)
I was talking to a friend yesterday, and she actually said "You'll never see Hugh Laurie in the same way once you've watched House." So there you go, I may conceed the point :D

Mordred Deschain
02-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Wanda Sykes? I really hope you're joking. She couldn't play a serious part to save her life. She is a comedian not an actor.

Ya, kinda. I just have a crush on Wanda. :)

Jonn Wolfe
02-13-2008, 02:51 AM
I haven't seen "No Country for Old Men" but this Josh Brolin pic from the movie has me wondering if he could do Roland.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1937/02350rq5.jpg

Woofer
02-13-2008, 03:44 AM
On Bruce Campbell. I love Bruce. I've read his books. I've watched his films - even laboring through crappy SciFi Channel productions like Alien Apocalypse. I've driven to Tallahassee and spent the night in a skeez hotel just to hear him talk. (He rocked, by the way. :wub: ) Bruce topping the Solstice Shrubbery we put together for my fellow DT junkie (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2198&size=big&cat=562).

But Roland he is not - The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. aside (IMO he was the coming thing. RAWR!!!). I do think he would've made a great Eddie circa Army of Darkness days.

*headdesk*

I quite like the look of that Billy Drago geezer though!

(Bolding mine) Yes, but have you seen him act (overact, I should say)?

I must say that the more I consider him, the more I agree with Hugh Laurie for Roland - if they starting filming right now. Crap, they missed it, the moment has passed. I kid!

Seriously, though, Hugh Laurie is an incredibly talented and versatile actor. He could become Roland of the books.

Darkthoughts
02-13-2008, 04:17 AM
I'd never even heard of Billy Drago until i saw that picture :D

jayson
02-13-2008, 04:25 AM
I'd never even heard of Billy Drago until i saw that picture :D

i think he looks more like Ziggy of Mars than Roland of Gilead.

Woofer
02-13-2008, 04:41 AM
No no no! Ziggy was supposed to be hot. You know...

Screwed up eyes and screwed down hair-do
Like some cat from Japan
He could lick 'em by smiling
He could leave them to hang
Came on so loaded man
Well hung and snow-white tan

and, of course,

He was the nazz, with God-given ass

http://www.acmetoycompany.com/Bowie1.jpg

Can't see Drago in that outfit. Furthermore, don't want to. :scared:

jayson
02-13-2008, 04:58 AM
and yet he still looks more like bowie than anything i ever pictured Roland looking like

Woofer
02-13-2008, 05:09 AM
:cry: Now I'm going to have that picture when I listen to any of Bowie's Ziggy-era stuff. :scared:

Dr. Clayman
02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Roland = Viggo Mortensen
Eddie = Ewan McGregor or Ben Foster
Sussannah = Halle Berry (I know everyone says that, but I think she's perfect)
Jake = That kid from Charlie and the chocolate factory is good, though a bit old for the role.
Callahan = Ian McKellen

Jonn Wolfe
02-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Okay I have to put out a small rant about Halle Berry.
Not only is she too much of a camera and line whore (See: X-Men movies), but she truly grates my nerves with her holier than thou attitude even moreso than Lisa Bonet.

Black Actresses whom in my opinion have the gravitas for the role of Susannah Dean:
(in no particular order)
Sharon Warren (http://www.sharonwarren.net/) Ray (Played Ray Charles' mother)
April Grace (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333318/) various
Garcelle Beauvais (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004731/) NYPD Blue
Audra McDonald (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0567653/) Private Practice
Jada Pinkett Smith (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000586/) The Matrix sequels
Rochelle Aytes (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1468674/) Drive
Anika Noni Rose (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741242/) various
Gina Torres (http://www.gina-torres.com/) Firefly / Angel / 24
Gloria Reuben (http://www.officialgloriareuben.com/) ER
Khandi Alexander (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0018554/) CSI MiamiWhew.... had to get that outta my system. I just hate Halle that much. :P

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I haven't seen "No Country for Old Men" but this Josh Brolin pic from the movie has me wondering if he could do Roland.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1937/02350rq5.jpg

Very nice 1911 he's got there, but as Roland? No way. Maybe as one of the Calla Bryn Sturgiss folk.

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Roland: Chuck Norris
Eddie: Mr Bean
Sussannah: Freema Agyeman
Jake: Tom Felton

:ninja:

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
I say no way at all to Chuck Norris. Sorry, my friend.

jayson
02-13-2008, 08:41 AM

i hoped he was kidding. i wouldn't cast chuck norris as an extra let alone Roland of Gilead.

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 08:49 AM

i hoped he was kidding. i wouldn't cast chuck norris as an extra let alone Roland of Gilead.

You say fuckin-A and I say thankya! :)

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 08:51 AM

Kidding...no...Chuck Norris is so like roland :shoot:

and also..

Walter: David Hasselhoff

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I had to re-read the post to be sure I read it right. Chuck Norris?? :rofl:

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes! :lol: Chuck Norris as Roland!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/chuck_norris.jpg

sarah
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
you're killing me, sai blaine

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I think Allhail should be Randall Flagg...

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM

:huglove: There! A quick kiss of life :)

Donald Callahan: The Rock :clap:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/the_rock.jpg

fernandito
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
No more WWF ice cream bars for you, sai.

Woofer
02-13-2008, 06:08 PM

:huglove: There! A quick kiss of life :)

Donald Callahan: The Rock :clap:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/the_rock.jpg

You don't want to know the discussion touched off by this picture. :evil:

On a serious note, how about James Woods (http://www.nightof100stars.com/photog7.jpg) for Father Callahan?

sai blaine
02-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes! :lol: Chuck Norris as Roland!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bowersda/chuck_norris.jpg
Bump bump :ninja:

jayson
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
how about Brian Posehn of tv's "Mr. Show" as Zalman Jaffords...

http://i27.tinypic.com/25ro8w3.jpg

devo133
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM

lol.

btw nice guitar. I have a sunburst strat. Been wanting to get a tele for while now. What kinda stuff do you play?

jayson
02-19-2008, 04:26 AM

lol.

btw nice guitar. I have a sunburst strat. Been wanting to get a tele for while now. What kinda stuff do you play?

if you mean the guitar in my av, it ain't mine, it's jonny greenwood's telecaster. i have a sunburst Gibson ES-135 and a black & silver Strat. as fars as what i play, it's all over the place. a lot of punk, jazz, blues, rock, etc. Good to have another guitar player here! welcome!

Lance
02-19-2008, 06:39 AM

I like that idea.

And James Cromwell for Father Callahan.

jayson
02-19-2008, 06:40 AM

I like that idea.

And James Cromwell for Father Callahan.

whenever we watched Mr Show after Wolves came out I always used to joke that Brian was David Cross' roont twin.

i will have to look up james cromwell. dunno who he is.

Brice
02-19-2008, 06:47 AM

No....he should be Roland. :rofl:

jayson
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM

No....he should be Roland. :rofl:

i'd sooner see that than hugh jackman!

Brice
02-19-2008, 07:09 AM
:lol: So...you are a Hugh Jackman fan?

How about Gilbert Gottfried as Roland?

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I think I would like to see Walter as David hasselhoff, Saiblaine!!!

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Letti would like it too ;0

sai blaine
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
:rofl: Yes she would! thats would replace roland as her fave char then :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM

blake316
02-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Roland - Christian Bale
Eddie - Vince Vaughn
Sussanah - Rosario Dawson
Flagg - Benicio Del Toro

jayson
02-20-2008, 06:33 AM
maybe with a time machine, otherwise vince vaughan is WAY too old to play Eddie.

blake316
02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
True that, he would of been perfect though

jayson
02-20-2008, 06:40 AM
he could def do the wisecracking side of eddie. another person i thought would have been good when he was younger is Dean Winters who was on Oz and the first season of Law & Order:SVU... i still picture him as Eddie when I re-read.

he's this guy...

http://i30.tinypic.com/2mngk0h.jpg

blake316
02-20-2008, 06:45 AM
That would work no doubt, I find Eddie the hardest one to cast in a strange kind of way. Swingers era Vaughn just fit the bill for me.

jayson
02-20-2008, 06:48 AM
a good Eddie is key to getting it right, almost as important as the right Roland, for whom I still go with Hugh Laurie

blake316
02-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Cant be Hugh Laurie! That would upset me greatly, got the look ok but my gran could beat Hugh Laurie in a fight, there is no intimidation factor with him at all (for me) and thats a must. I did grow up watching Black Adder etc and that does cloud my perception of him some what, not as an actor but as a bad ass mofo.

jayson
02-20-2008, 07:05 AM
fair enough, you're not the first to say so about Laurie. i think he's a good enough actor to pull it off. by the time Roland is done in Tull, he'd be intimidating to anyone watching

blake316
02-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Fine point but I want someone who instantly has that fear factor, whether he's playing Roland or not.
Anyways this is fracking sweet, nice to meet you

jayson
02-20-2008, 07:14 AM
good to meet you as well Blake. btw, your avatar rocks! i love that film, particularly Goodman's character

blake316
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Hell yeah! Goodman for Sheriff Avery!

jayson
02-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Hell yeah! Goodman for Sheriff Avery!

THAT is a great casting call.

MonteGss
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Totally Sheriff Avery! Great call!
I will never back down from House as Roland, ever. (you hear me lisa?)
Vince Vaughn is way too fratboy/stupid humor-esque for me. He is pretty damn funny in some of his movies (swingers) but I don't think he could pull off Eddie. I have heard some great suggestions for everyone in the ka-tet but that Haley Joel Whathisname cannot be Jake. I just cannot picture it at all. Too whiney/whimpy for Jake, imo. :)

Matt
02-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I will never back down from House as Roland, ever. (you hear me lisa?)

:thumbsup:

Me neither man.

MonteGss
02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Great minds...:cool:

jayson
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
i third that. hugh laurie or nobody!

MonteGss
02-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes!!!

(Lisa's gonna have a fit! :lol: )

fernandito
02-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I always invisioned Roland as silent and intimidating. Laurie looks like a wimp.

MonteGss
02-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I always envisioned Roland as tall and lanky, not buff and tough.
Scary, intimidating and strong but not built and muscular.

*shrugs*

Woofer
02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
James Cromwell - Oooo, inspired choice for Pere.

John Goodman - Excellent!

Hugh Laurie - Roland (yes, still)

Like Monte, I never pictured Roland as buff. Tall, lanky, but with the ability to intimidate by looking at you (Robert Patrick as the T1000 {Okay, so maybe he's not very tall, but he is skinny and has the intimidating look down.}) as opposed to having looks that are intimidating (Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator).

Eddie didn't call him "old long, tall, and ugly" for no reason.

Erin
02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
i third that. hugh laurie or nobody!

Amen Brotha! :thumbsup:

RUBE
02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post

Chuck Norris turned down the part of Roland because he said only a pansy idiot would take seven novels to just find a tower and climb it.

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Hugh Laurie is as far away from Roland as you can possibly get. If they made a Naked Gun style spoof of The Dark Tower then yeah, Hugh Laurie would be a great call. Guy Pearce/Christian Bale/Josh Brolin anyone but Hugh Laurie (spits)

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Seriously though, are you all joking bout the Hugh Laurie thing?

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
No way! We're serious.

Not only does Hugh Laurie look the part of Roland to me (gritty, hardened, tough)....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/hugh.jpg

But he's an amazing actor who can pull off both serious, as well as comedic. I think he'd be perfect for Roland, whether shooting up the town of Tull and making the occasional joke.

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Also, Roland is more or less based on Eastwoods 'man with no name'. If they remade those films with Hugh Laurie.........not good.

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Well, I agree Eastwood would have been a great choice, back in his prime (but that's what the other "Cast From The Past" thread is for! :D) but obviously he's way way to old now, so some modern actors, like Laurie and others need to be considered.

What younger actor would you like to see as Roland?

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Gritty? Hardened? Tough? I realise we all have our perceptions and opinions but Laurie is anything but those things. Even if he does bear a slight resemblance to Roland, there are many, far better actors more suited to the role.

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Oops, I think we posted at the same time. Look at my post above yours....

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
I didnt say Eastwood for Roland, I said its laughable to imagine Hugh Laurie playing the man with no name (whom Roland basically is). Anyways Id prefer Christian Bale/ Josh Brolin / Guy Pearce (watch The Proposition) anyone but Hugh Laurie. Anyways this a wonderful way to start the day I must say.

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Ooops we did it again

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:31 AM
We're on the same brainwave. :D

I do think the actors you listed would do a fanstastic job as well. Christain Bale amazed me with his acting abilities in the Machinist and American Psycho. And Guy Pearce was fantastic in Memento. Both of them would make great Rolands.

Oh, I also noticed you are from the UK in your profile. It made me giggle a bit because another mod on this site, Darkthoughs, is from England and she too hates the idea of Laurie for Roland. She said it's because she could never take him seriously after some show he did in England where he wore a big powdered wig. I'm not sure of the details, but we've all had a good laugh over it before.

Oh, and welcome to the site! Any discussion about the Dark Tower, whether you agree or not is a great discussion. :)

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Thankyou. We do have a perception of him over here (Black Adder/does a lot of commercials-bad ones) that does make him an absolute no no in my mind. He is a camp English man- not Roland. Viggo Mortensen would be great, Daniel Day Lewis especially.

jayson
02-21-2008, 04:25 AM
No way! We're serious.

Not only does Hugh Laurie look the part of Roland to me (gritty, hardened, tough)....

But he's an amazing actor who can pull off both serious, as well as comedic. I think he'd be perfect for Roland, whether shooting up the town of Tull and making the occasional joke.

I'm as serious about it as I can get. It was the eyes that first did it for me, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed right. The last two re-reads I have done I did with the image of Laurie in my mind as Roland and it could not have worked better. He is a superb actor, and he's not the typical action hero [like Jackman for instance]. He's the perfect "long tall and ugly."

blake316
02-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Ive never in my life seen anything that tells me Hugh Laurie is a superb actor. Do I need to watch House?

Woofer
02-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Finally read the whole thread, and I have to say:

Roland: Gah! Stop suggesting Josh Brolin. He is the skeevy perv doctor in Grindhouse and will always be that.

Eddie: And Quentin Tarantino as Eddie? Dear god no. As Bob Dylan should write songs but not sing them, so should QT make movies and not star in them. It's painful to watch him on screen.

Eddie: Keanu Reeves as Eddie? A maple tree has more range and expression than he does.

Susannah: Halle Berry. Just no. I like Gina Torres from Firefly & Serenity. (Serenity is on my Netflix queue but I haven't seen it yet; no spoilers please. I already made the mistake of visiting the Whedonverse thread.)

Gasher: Yeah, Dennis Hopper.

Tick-Tock: I think Clancy Motherfucking Brown could do it. They can do wonders with makeup. By the way, that's his name. He's the Kurgan! Not just Clancy Brown. (Yeah, I remember him on Earth II, too.) However, as folks think he is too old, I'll settle for him for....

Steven Deschain: Clancy Motherfucking Brown.

Sheemie: I hate myself for saying Donnie Wahlberg. Srsly. It hurts me. I hate him so much.

Pere Callahan: Now I am really on board for James Cromwell. I've only ever seen the last few minutes of the Salem's Lot remake, so I was unaware he'd already played the role. Totally.

I know I have more to say, but time to shower.

Hrm, I wonder what the movie would be like if Clancy Motherfucking Brown played every role?

jayson
02-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Ive never in my life seen anything that tells me Hugh Laurie is a superb actor. Do I need to watch House?

YES! He is riddiculously good in that role, and his mastery of comedic timing with respect to sarcasm is one of the reasons I feel he would be an ideal Roland of Gilead [remember, sarcasm is the only form of humor Roland really understands].

Woofer
02-21-2008, 05:07 AM

Yes, yes, and yes. Hugh Laurie could do it.

jayson
02-21-2008, 05:09 AM
you don't think Hopper is a bit old to be running through the streets of Lud? I don't think Gasher was in his 70's.

now Clancy-motherfucking-Kurgan-Brown would be a GREAT Tick-Tock. That I can see right here and now.

blake316
02-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Ok so I'll watch House and let you know, two days Ive been on here and im comprimising already. Gasher - Andy Serkis

Woofer
02-21-2008, 05:40 AM
you don't think Hopper is a bit old to be running through the streets of Lud? I don't think Gasher was in his 70's.

now Clancy-motherfucking-Kurgan-Brown would be a GREAT Tick-Tock. That I can see right here and now.

No, he wasn't. However, Hopper in recent commercials looks great for his age, and Gasher looked really awful for his age (blossoms? ugh!). Once again, I think makeup could make it work. However, I'm open to other suggestions.

Brice
02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
I've always made it clear I wouldn't want a DT movie made at all, but if it was here's who I'd cast for Roland:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/ddevil1r7cl.jpg

The desert is in Namibia and would also be perfect. :)

blake316
02-21-2008, 06:54 AM
looks great to me, who is the dude?

Brice
02-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Robert John Burke

...and the movie is Richard Stanley's Dust Devil. Check it out if ya' can.

Erin
02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Gasher - Andy Serkis

Fantastic idea! :thumbsup:

And Clancey Motherfucking Brown. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
For some reason, this guy reminds me of Roland:

http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_celebrity/jon-hamm-301544

Matt
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
No way! We're serious.

:wub:

You are on like a light Erin.

RUBE
02-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Before I didn't really agree with people that have suggested Viggo Mortenson for Roland. However, after watching Eastern Promises and seeing some recent pictures of Viggo, I am starting to think he may be a really good choice. He is rugged, really skinny, starting to show his age, and has blue eyes. Also, he proved that he can really act in Eastern Promises and that he would be a good mentor to whoever plays Eddie since he has already done a nude fight scene himself. I would definitely take him over Hugh Laurie.

The Man With No Name
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Scott Glenn as Roland.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1664981760/nm0001277

Erin
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Hmm, that guy looks the part for sure.

The Man With No Name.....what has he been in? Can he act as well?

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Are you asking about the one i posted?

Erin
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I was actually asking The Man with No Name....but I just saw yours and now have the same question for you...along with...who is that? :lol:

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
He is on AMC's Mad Men show. Something about his jaw made me think Roland, the firs time I saw him.

fernandito
02-21-2008, 08:26 PM
For some reason, this guy reminds me of Roland:

http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_celebrity/jon-hamm-301544

Who is he?

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you like?
He's from AMC's "Mad Men". When I saw him, I thought: Roland."
...fits for me.

The Man With No Name
02-22-2008, 03:21 AM
Scott Glenn has played in The Bourne Ultimatum and Silverado to name a couple.

Trust me he could play Roland very well.

Watch Silverado and you will see that he could very well portray Roland onscreen.

fernandito
02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Do you like?
...fits for me.

Interesting. What else has he done? Movie-wise.

Scott Glenn has played in The Bourne Ultimatum and Silverado to name a couple.

I suggested Scott Glenn several pages back. :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 01:01 PM
[quote=Girlystevedave;113645]Do you like?
...fits for me.

Interesting. What else has he done? Movie-wise.

I don't know what other work he has done. All I know is in my mind, he is Roland. He's got the right voice too.

fernandito
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Deep and raspy?

Or Mike Tyson?

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
What do you think?
Mike Tyson

fernandito
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM

MIKE TYSON FOR ROLAND!

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll never see Mike Tyson the same again:lol:

SON-OF-WAYNE
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Vigo Mortenson as Roland

The Man With No Name
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
How about Christopher Lloyd as Father Callahan?

Matt
02-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I'd do that in a second! Great suggestion.

http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_celebrity/christopher-lloyd-42805

jayson
02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
can chris lloyd do serious? i was thinking more harvey keitel as callahan. remember, callahan is not just an old dude, but a bad-motherfucker vampire killer. i can't see christopher lloyd as that side of callahan. harvey keitel on the other hand...

Matt
02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Hmmmm...I never get bogged down on what they have done too much. They are just actors doing a role, I'm sure there is some serious Lloyd...somewhere. :lol:

Harvey is a little short for me. :(

RUBE
02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
The "serious" Lloyd is in "Things To Do in Denver When Youre Dead." While he was not a comedian or goofy, he was still kind of twitchy. BTW, this is a dark, messed-up movie, specifically the way they killed a few of the characters.

Nix_Toren
02-26-2008, 08:21 AM
I really like the idea of Jared Leto for Eddie.... he just seems right. And it seems pretty obvious that "Fistful of Dollars"-era Clint Eastwood is Roland, but failing the invention of a time machine, what about Javier Bardem? I saw him on the news (something about No Country For Old Men cleaning up at the Oscars), and thought "Hey, he could be Roland..."

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm342792960/tt0477348

As for Susannah and Jake... no idea. An unknown would probably be best for Jake.

(Incidentally: Hugh Laurie is not Roland. He will never be Roland. He does a very good job of "House", but he is utterly wrong to play Roland. Sorry.)

blake316
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Absolutely agreed Nix, Laurie is as far from Roland as any actor can get.
Id love Rosario Dawson as Susannah - everytime I look at her I see Susannah.

blake316
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/artman2/uploads/1/rosario-dawson.jpg

Mrs Dean at your service

Matt
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh man, the new folks are against Hugh!!

Erin...get a rope. :lol:

blake316
02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Think its the British folk! He's a wimp is all

Matt
02-26-2008, 09:32 AM
hahahahaha--good point.

To each their own man, I think he would be absolutely perfect.

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
hahahahaha--good point.

To each their own man, I think he would be absolutely perfect.

Same here. Also, he's a great actor so he is flexible enough to play different kinds of roles.

blake316
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Fair enough, but as Ive already said if they remade 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly' with Hugh Laurie as the man with no name, it would be fracking laughable

blake316
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
anyways any thought on Miss Dawson for Susannah?

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Fair enough, but as Ive already said if they remade 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly' with Hugh Laurie as the man with no name, it would be fracking laughable

Yeah, thats because he played in a role as a dandy. If he hadn't you probably wouldn't have that opinion. I don't think Dawson would be a good Susannah, because to me I picture Susannah's skin a lot darker than hers.

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
There is this actress that I've seen pictures of that I think would make a great Susannah, but I can't remember her name or which movies shes been in..

jayson
poor Hugh, none of his fellow Brits think he can play Roland. interesting how he can be viewed so differently in two different countries. i'm still firmly behind the idea of HL as Roland. i also agree matthew about susannah. i picture as having darker skin than Dawson. to me, she looks like Odetta's old avatar.

blake316
:angry: Im going home! lol
Love Firefly dude that pic rocks!

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
:angry: Im going home! lol
Love Firefly dude that pic rocks!

Thanks!