PDA

View Full Version : The end of SKEMERs??

jhanic
06-01-2010, 04:16 AM
I got this email:

SKEMERs
The new home of Stephen King Emailers

A message to all members of SKEMERs
Alright, this is me throwing my hands up in disgust. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I think, I received an email indicating that the Ning network will be going to a paid member service *only*.

I've been trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to keep things afloat to avoid this, and I don't see it happening. Andrew and I simply are not at a point where we can do it.

I've talked to Chris, and at this point, I do think it's something he has the time for either. So...you can look here:

http://about.ning.com/announcement/index.php

and decide if anyone else wants to keep the Ning thing going and how to go about that or if someone wants to take over the web services. The domain (the actual www.skemers.com name) and the hosting service are both paid up through the end of December from the money that people donated a couple years ago. It can't go back to the old newsletter format, unless someone knows how to construct that kind of thing, because after the crash it wasn't there anymore. Andrew had made a duct tape version to go around it, because he didn't want (and really couldn't) pour in the hours in needed to build everything back up and when we were only sending one newsletter every two weeks at best, it just wasn't worth the time.

We are more than willing to hand things over if someone wants it, but it does require some knowledge of how web pages, mail servers etc work. Otherwise, when the Ning thing changes...the group itself...will finish fading into the distance.

If anyone wants to create another board...yahoo, etc...I'll send out a message letting everyone know. Otherwise, that's where it is.

If you have any questions about what's involved in the web server or such, email me at webmaster@skemers.com

Thanks guys....
Michele

Visit SKEMERs at: http://skemers.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

John

Sam
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I got the same email. It's not a good thing.:(

Matt
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I am actually not surprised by the reasons stated. It takes an enormous amount of money to keep a community going on the net these days.

Seems like everyone wants some kind of fee for every single thing you do. :lol:

With the economy, it makes sense. I hope the SKEMER's stay together somehow though, that is a very old club with a huge amount of true fans.

herbertwest
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Cant they just move onto Facebook or twitter?
Ok, not everybody have a facebook account (and even less have twitter), but...

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
See how they're trying to charge for Facebook coming up in September unless they have enough people complain? Not sure if that's really true but that's what's going around.

Brice
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
That's been going around for years, Liz. It's rumor.

Ari_Racing
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Actually I'm sorry to see the email, but the list was almost dead. Groups, lists and alikes started to die when forums become stronger.

gsvec
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
SKEMERs has a FB group - I was going to post a link, but it contains my user name for some reason. Just do a search and you'll find it!

Brice
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you know if that will that continue Gretchen? :unsure:

gsvec
06-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Dunno, Brice. Let's write on the wall and find out! :lol:

Brice
06-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a plan. :)