John_and_Yoko
05-01-2010, 04:53 PM
:rose:

In this chamber fairly glows the seed,
Of which your fate is ultimately woven.
Wet it not, for that is not the deed,
Say I, the only member of this coven,
That leadeth seedling thus to germinate,
But fire and metal shall lead you aright.
Success or failure I do not relate,
For that is prophecy for a fortnight.

Maturins_Daughter
05-01-2010, 05:13 PM
First thing that crossed my mind was a Mogwai, since you can't get it wet lol

John_and_Yoko
05-01-2010, 05:23 PM
First thing that crossed my mind was a Mogwai, since you can't get it wet lol

A Mog...WHAT?!? :wtf:

No, that's not it--but at least this riddle is educating me.... :lol:

Gaberax
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Sand? Glass? :orely:

***BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!!!***
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/Gaberax/Gremlins-fb.jpg

John_and_Yoko
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Nope and nope.

Maturins_Daughter
05-02-2010, 04:07 AM
stained glass window? probably not

John_and_Yoko
05-02-2010, 09:52 AM
No.

It's something that GLOWS, and that has to do with fire and metal, and is contained inside something.

Gaberax
05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Light bulb or filament within a light bulb?

John_and_Yoko
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Light bulb or filament within a light bulb?

No, that doesn't have to do with fire.

Think of burning metal....

Gaberax
05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I see that some candles use tin or zinc in their wicks. Of this I had no idea...

John_and_Yoko
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I see that some candles use tin or zinc in their wicks. Of this I had no idea...

Neither did I, and so that isn't the correct answer. Besides, there's no "chamber" in a candle.

Jon
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Burning = molten?

John_and_Yoko
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Burning = molten?

Not it, no.

What else can metal do if burned? In particular, where does the glow come from?

Gaberax
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Blast furnace? Smelting? Thermometer? Spark Plug?

John_and_Yoko
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Blast furnace? Smelting? Thermometer? Spark Plug?

No, no, no, and no....

Think "weapon"....

Gaberax
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Like a Thermo...Nuclear...Device? OH MY GOD!!!! HE'S GOT A BOMB!!!! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/Gaberax/panic.gif

John_and_Yoko
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Like a Thermo...Nuclear...Device? OH MY GOD!!!! HE'S GOT A BOMB!!!!

No, nothing that far-reaching....

Think more primitive than that.

Gaberax
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Bullet?

John_and_Yoko
05-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Bullet?

No, not a bullet. Think bigger, and not something that's used as a weapon anymore.

Gaberax
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Okay...I'm just guessing now ***With a newspaper rolled up and swatting his nose "Bad Gaberax...Bad...Bad" ***

I'm gonna think on it a while. ;)

IWasSentWest
05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Cannon?

John_and_Yoko
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Cannon?

I was afraid of that....

No, it's still USED, but not as a weapon....

IWasSentWest
05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Musket

John_and_Yoko
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Musket

All these Americans guessing and you STILL haven't got the answer? :P

Gaberax
05-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Jon might know. He's a history buff. Hell, he's just buff. :drool:

IWasSentWest
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
i thought musket had a chance

success or failure i do not relate (those things are inaccurate as hell, so you never really know if you're gonna hit something or not)

John_and_Yoko
05-05-2010, 11:55 AM
i thought musket had a chance

success or failure i do not relate (those things are inaccurate as hell, so you never really know if you're gonna hit something or not)

If a non-American guesses the answer I'm going to be disappointed.

Maturins_Daughter
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
It seems to me that if you have to lead us along on a leash, and then express disappointment that we "don't get it," then it's not us that has the problem...it's the riddle. It may be finely written and have a great rhyme scheme... but if we can't get it without all the additional hints, then is it really a "good" riddle?

No offense intended, but I take a little offense at the "disappointed" comment.

John_and_Yoko
05-05-2010, 08:35 PM
It seems to me that if you have to lead us along on a leash, and then express disappointment that we "don't get it," then it's not us that has the problem...it's the riddle. It may be finely written and have a great rhyme scheme... but if we can't get it without all the additional hints, then is it really a "good" riddle?

No offense intended, but I take a little offense at the "disappointed" comment.

I'm sorry.... :(

I thought it was so good, too....

I'm just going to give the answer since this doesn't seem to be any fun anymore: it's fireworks.

IWasSentWest
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
it was fun for me!

and shit haha

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I kept trying to think of something that was wholly American, and well shit....how did I not think of fireworks?

Gaberax
05-06-2010, 04:44 AM
I kept trying to think of something that was wholly American, and well shit....how did I not think of fireworks?

I believe fireworks were invented in China...long, long ago and faraway.

Well, don't fret it John_and_Yoko. Sometimes riddles just don't get got. Back to the drawing board, eh?

I would advise that you give them a chance to percolate without comment (hard to do, I know.) There are people, myself included, who work on these things for days and weeks (sometimes.) Especially if the riddle is finely crafted, it takes time to mentally connect the dots (for some of us at least.) When folks get to a point where they need a hint, they will ask for it. Riddles are, after all, a negotiation of a sort. Riddle on, man...riddle on!

Maturins_Daughter
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Well said, Gabe.

J&Y, I do think you're becoming a good riddler...just give us a little time without dragging us along next time :)

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I believe fireworks were invented in China...long, long ago and faraway.

Well, don't fret it John_and_Yoko. Sometimes riddles just don't get got. Back to the drawing board, eh?

I would advise that you give them a chance to percolate without comment (hard to do, I know.) There are people, myself included, who work on these things for days and weeks (sometimes.) Especially if the riddle is finely crafted, it takes time to mentally connect the dots (for some of us at least.) When folks get to a point where they need a hint, they will ask for it. Riddles are, after all, a negotiation of a sort. Riddle on, man...riddle on!

It is hard.... :( It might have been easier if the first few guesses were anywhere near the right answer, but I didn't want to leave people hanging in the lurch.... I guess I should have backed off when they got closer....

Gaberax
05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
It is hard.... :( It might have been easier if the first few guesses were anywhere near the right answer, but I didn't want to leave people hanging in the lurch.... I guess I should have backed off when they got closer....

Shrug this one off and continue to write. Your riddles are well crafted and enjoyable to work. Please get something for us as soon as you can. ;)