PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

fernandito
07-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Damn. So it's going to be a briskly paced film. Bums me out a little, but let's see how it goes..

Randall Flagg
07-17-2017, 02:46 PM
If it's great and leaves one (many) wanting more, the chances for TV spinoffs, etc. increase. And the DVD would have bonus footage.

If's it's tedious at 95 minutes, imagine if it were 33% longer. Probably would be the death of the DT series on film or TV.

All of this is dependent on John Q Public, buying tickets and then spreading the positive news, or burying it.

mae
07-17-2017, 02:49 PM
I was expecting 120-ish, to be honest, but I think 95 works as a first entry. Could be actually helpful. The above-mentioned John Q. Public may not want to plop down for 2+ hours for a weird western fantasy they've never heard about but that looks cool.

Merlin1958
07-17-2017, 04:03 PM
I was expecting 120-ish, to be honest, but I think 95 works as a first entry. Could be actually helpful. The above-mentioned John Q. Public may not want to plop down for 2+ hours for a weird western fantasy they've never heard about but that looks cool.

Good point. Especially, if it prompts most to look into reading the books!

Isamu Dyson
07-17-2017, 04:33 PM
The first installments of both the novels and the cinematic franchise look to be the shortest.

georgiesarm
07-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Hopefully the short runtime means at least it's a tight movie and they were able to put the money where it needed to be.

On the other hand, we've reached a point where John Q. Public thinks 95 is too short for the steep price of a cinema visit. Honestly, I'm a bit afraid that might influence them to not take the drive to a theatre.

fernandito
07-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Does the average viewer really pay attention to run time?

Ben Staad
07-18-2017, 09:43 AM
I only do when the movie is not very good.

Brian861
07-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Yep. Sure sign of a bad movie is when you look down at your watch.

Brian861
07-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Tommy
07-19-2017, 12:56 AM

The first thing I ask myself after viewing a film is did this feel shorter or longer than it's run time? If it felt shorter, it's a good movie, if it felt longer, it's a bad movie.

Bev Vincent
07-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Nikolaj Arcel will be doing a Reddit AMA tomorrow at 2:19 PM PST (https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDarkTower/comments/6o6lyd/the_dark_tower_director_nikolaj_arcel_on_reddit/)

mae
07-19-2017, 04:34 AM
Any Comic Con presence?

wolfehr
07-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Any Comic Con presence?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ign-and-sony-present-the-dixie-pig-tickets-36013729033

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mae
07-19-2017, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3FojykOX0

Iwritecode
07-19-2017, 12:43 PM
I was just coming here to post that video. :biggrin:

St. Troy
07-19-2017, 12:45 PM
A thought:

I believe Stephen Hawking was told, while writing A Brief History Of Time, that every equation he included in the book would cut his sales in half. I am reminded of this when watching this trailer, because I believe that every slow-mo action scene is going to cut my ability to take this film seriously, maybe not by half, but by a good 25%.

I appreciate that DT on film is not = DT on the page, and that changes were made, but for God's sake I don't want just another superhero movie. DT can be something else, so much more than that, and still be a wildly entertaining ride. I hope that's what we get.

CyberGhostface
07-19-2017, 03:08 PM
More damage control from Sai King.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/887774151376863235

fernandito
07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Ahhhhh yes. It just wouldn't be a complete day without an extremely cynical post by Cyber lol.

CyberGhostface
07-19-2017, 03:29 PM
;)

Ben Staad
07-19-2017, 03:51 PM
More damage control from Sai King.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/887774151376863235

But...but...It's all killer and no filler.

CyberGhostface
07-19-2017, 04:15 PM
And here's the thing: even IF this was an actual adaptation of the first novel (which it isn't by any stretch of the imagination) 95 is still pretty short. The Mist was based on novella, maybe 120 pages or so. Not counting the last five minutes the film version is pretty close to what King wrote and that movie was a little over two hours.

webstar1000
07-19-2017, 04:23 PM
I can't wait. Short and sweet.... I am betting it will be a fun watch. Saying it now!

Merlin1958
07-19-2017, 04:25 PM
I can't wait. Short and sweet.... I am betting it will be a fun watch. Saying it now!

I'm in your camp. I'm going to try and go in with an open mind and try to keep the books on the back burner. I'd like to enjoy this.

fernandito
07-19-2017, 04:26 PM

This featurette made me more excited for the movie than any of the trailers. Love that closing-haunting melody too, I hope they keep it throughout the franchise.

Merlin1958
07-19-2017, 04:32 PM

This featurette made me more excited for the movie than any of the trailers. Love that closing-haunting melody too, I hope they keep it throughout the franchise.

Agree. Here's hoping it indeed becomes a franchise!!!!

Isamu Dyson
07-19-2017, 08:40 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6ob3jn/hi_im_nik_arcel_director_of_the_dark_tower_ask_me/

nikarcel 194 points 6 hours ago

Yes absolutely! As I think it will be pretty obvious to the fans when they see the film, the whole Ka-tet is poised to meet in the next movie...if we're lucky enough to be able to make one.

We've definitely thought a lot about the racial tension between Detta and Roland and how casting Idris would affect that. I can't spoil anything, but we're definitely not going to leave this important theme unaddressed. And oh yeah, of course we're going to have Billy-Bumblers - and Oy's one of my favorite characters.

nikarcel 156 points 7 hours ago

This film really serves as an introduction to the saga and I've always felt that we should not try to cram every single part of the massive mythology, including all the great characters and storylines, into one film. Obviously the story is supposed to continue in future films and the TV series. Hopefully at the end of it all there won't be a single thing from the novels that we haven't touched upon in some way.

CaptainChaos78 108 points 8 hours ago

Will Roland be using High Speech? "Say thankya" "See this very well." "Hile gunslingers!" "Cry your pardon."

---

nikarcel 171 points 6 hours ago

Yes, in places but keep in mind this is an introduction for the uninitiated as well.

JohnAnderton 13 points 7 hours ago

Hi! I'm tentatively excited for the movie - but my main concern from what I've seen so far is that Roland should be laser focused on the Tower - instead it looks like he's set straight. Seems kind of odd.

Also, The Man in Black as a main antagonsit, especially as one that Roland can kill - Flagg can't be killed by Roland, as seen in Wizard and Glass. What's going on here?

I really want to like it, but I can't help but be uncomfortable with these things.

---

nikarcel 81 points 6 hours ago

In the movie, as in the first novel, he's distracted by The Man In Black and by revenge. One of the things I love about the theme of the novels is that Roland has to learn the right path in order to reach the Tower "correctly." We brought that more to the forefront of the film.

The overall idea is that Roland is lacking Khef at the beginning of his journey and that Char is guiding him, we've made that a bit stronger.

webstar1000
07-20-2017, 04:14 AM
I have faith.... great post!

stroppygoblin
07-20-2017, 04:29 AM
It really comes out how much DT knowledge Nik Arcel has and that he is a true fan of the series. It gives me a lot of confidence for the future.

CyberGhostface
07-20-2017, 05:32 AM
The only time Roland was 'distracted by revenge' was when Marten goaded him into taking his test earlier.

By the events of The Gunslinger Roland was pursuing Walter to get him to talk. He was obsessed with the Tower, not Walter himself.

St. Troy
07-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Yes; Arcel's answers suggest that he's the right kind of person for this, and that's important.

fernandito
07-20-2017, 08:20 AM
It really comes out how much DT knowledge Nik Arcel has and that he is a true fan of the series. It gives me a lot of confidence for the future.

Yes; Arcel's answers suggest that he's the right kind of person for this, and that's important.

This is why I've always had faith in this film from the beginning. I hope its rewarded...

Brainslinger
07-20-2017, 11:55 AM
'char' is guiding him? Death is guiding him? Maybe he meant 'ka'.

I find those posts comforting, however, particularly the part about approaching the Tower the right way.

Brainslinger
07-20-2017, 12:07 PM
The only time Roland was 'distracted by revenge' was when Marten goaded him into taking his test earlier.

By the events of The Gunslinger Roland was pursuing Walter to get him to talk. He was obsessed with the Tower, not Walter himself.

While I agree the Tower was his main focus, that didn't stop him blazing away when he saw Walter near the tunnel. Sure, it came across as Roland going into Gunslinger autopilot, rather than calculated revenge (since he wanted to speak with Walter) but I wonder if a desire for vengeance was part of that?

I think he would have gladly killed Walter after their palaver of he'd had the chance.

I agree it wasn't his main focus and something to do on the way to the Tower, however.

mae
07-21-2017, 03:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUILFg2sJk

mae
07-21-2017, 03:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hez5DBE5jwA

Iwritecode
07-21-2017, 05:31 AM
I find it interesting in the videos and trailers that they keep mentioning that the MIB is actively trying to take down the tower and Roland is trying to stop him.

I thought in the books he wanted to see it fall but wasn't really doing anything to actually make it happen. By the last book, his plan was to enter the tower himself using the mark on Mordred's leg, but not bring it down.

stroppygoblin
07-21-2017, 05:56 AM
I find it interesting in the videos and trailers that they keep mentioning that the MIB is actively trying to take down the tower and Roland is trying to stop him.

I thought in the books he wanted to see it fall but wasn't really doing anything to actually make it happen. By the last book, his plan was to enter the tower himself using the mark on Mordred's leg, but not bring it down.

In the book (as per Dinky Earnshaw's recruitment) Breakers are actively sought and recruited by Trans Corp which is a subsidiary of the Sombra Corp. Both entities were set up to serve the Crimson King. Although I don't believe it was actually stated in the books, it is conceivable that Walter has had direct dealings with these institutions over the years. The Movie is making a more direct link and effectively putting the MIB directly in charge of the breakers.

Iwritecode
07-21-2017, 08:23 AM

In the book (as per Dinky Earnshaw's recruitment) Breakers are actively sought and recruited by Trans Corp which is a subsidiary of the Sombra Corp. Both entities were set up to serve the Crimson King. Although I don't believe it was actually stated in the books, it is conceivable that Walter has had direct dealings with these institutions over the years. The Movie is making a more direct link and effectively putting the MIB directly in charge of the breakers.

I supposed that's what they are doing. It's interesting that they are making this a Roland vs. MIB movie when in all the books combined he had maybe what, 20 pages or so for his few brief appearances?

fernandito
07-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Arcel chimes in on the run time

There’s one story that’s been making the rounds on the internet and I want to ask about it because I think it’s unfair to keep talking about it without having you chime in. The movie is a lot shorter than a lot of people, myself included, expected. We thought it was going to be a two and a half hour epic.

ARCEL: Yeah, yeah.

The knee-jerk reaction has been “That’s really short!” Can you talk about how it came to be that length?

ARCEL: The good news here…the reason why many fans are worried about the run time is that they think we are trying to do everything in this film. Which we are not. This is ideally the first film. This is an introduction to the world and the characters. It’s not meant to be all the novels and we’re just trying to cram everything in there. So that’s one thing. And the script was really lean and tight. When I got on board, the script was very short, very lean. That’s one of the things that attracted me to it. I said “This is smart.” You start with a lean, mean story and you don’t try to cram everything in there. You just build the basic ideas. And if people enjoy it and if they like this world and these characters, we can start expanding.

While I remain as nervous about The Dark Tower as I would about any film adaption of a book series that has been a part of my life for nearly two decades, Arcel is a smart guy and he’s clearly a Stephen King devotee (a “constant reader,” to be specific). We’ll see how the movie turns out in two weeks, but any director who promises Salem’s Lot easter eggs in his Dark Tower adaptation deserves our faith. You can read all about that and more in the full interview when it runs next week.

The Dark Tower opens on August 4, 2017.

http://www.slashfilm.com/director-nikolaj-arcel-explains-the-dark-tower-runtime/

Isamu Dyson
07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Were enough people still holding onto the notion that this film is trying to condense all seven books into its timeframe? I am aware that it is no secret that elements from multiple books are present in the script/trailers, but even so...

CyberGhostface
07-21-2017, 01:16 PM

I supposed that's what they are doing. It's interesting that they are making this a Roland vs. MIB movie when in all the books combined he had maybe what, 20 pages or so for his few brief appearances?

Well if Roland did have a personal antagonist it was Walter/Marten. But yeah they are making him much more bigger than he actually was.

Isamu Dyson
07-21-2017, 02:24 PM
When you hire a top actor, you usually try to get your money's worth. Yes, this even applies when they play a character with a large presence but comparatively small "screen time" in the novel they themselves originate from.

Merlin1958
07-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Well if Roland did have a personal antagonist it was Walter/Marten. But yeah they are making him much more bigger than he actually was.

When you hire a top actor, you usually try to get your money's worth. Yes, this even applies when they play a character with a large presence but comparatively small "screen time" in the novel they themselves originate from.

I preface this with the fact that it is mere speculation, none of us having seen the film yet. But, perhaps they are featuring the MIB v Roland dynamic to draw folks into the modified narrative. I think you have to remember this is not a scene by scene adaption and the MIB could be perceived as the man behind the scenes in all the Ka-Tet's challenges. IF, and that is a big "if" the ting grows legs they have many means and media forms to cover back story and such. It is a re-imagining of the books so to speak and not an adaptation. There will be favorite book scenes left on the cutting room floor no doubt. Only those deemed pertinent to the new arc will be retained. As I said before, I will reserve judgement until it actually is released and we get a feel for where they are going with it and to what extent.

mae
07-21-2017, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5je54PXV5yw

mae
07-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Looks like a few new shots in this TV spot posted by Sony Pictures Canada a week ago and no one picked it up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oXhkX4ITk0

Isamu Dyson
07-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Each newly revealed snippet of footage spoils me as the cake before dinner spoils me.

mae
07-22-2017, 12:30 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--U77dOaXB--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/yfi5owaea4q1smghyowl.jpg

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-san-diego-bar-transformed-into-the-dark-towers-dixie-1797149441

Parties at Comic-Con almost always have an entertainment theme or sponsor. It’s how companies and websites pay for them. Most are pretty subtle but when Sony teamed up with IGN to do a Dark Tower party, they went straight to the Stephen King source material to find their inspiration.

That’s how The Tipsy Crow in the Gaslamp District of San Diego became, for one night only, the Dixie Pig.

In The Dark Tower books, the Dixie Pig is the name of a restaurant in New York where followers of the evil Crimson King hang out. It contains a portal to another world, as did its San Diego incarnation.

As well as plenty of the Crimson King’s sigils, to let you know who’s in charge.

Like, a lot of signs.

As well as Dark Tower art on all the walls—not stills from the movie, actual art inspired by the series.

If you missed this chance to step into Stephen King’s world, don’t worry—. you’ll get another chance on August 4 when the film hits theaters.

Randall Flagg
07-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Saw a trailer today with a snippet of Roland in an emergency room.

Isamu Dyson
07-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Saw a trailer today with a snippet of Roland in an emergency room.

He is stronger than most.

Isamu Dyson
07-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Apparently Tom Taylor's Jake is supposed to be eleven years old. I was of the mind that his version of the young Chambers would be aged-up a teeny bit.

CaraLaughs
07-23-2017, 08:34 PM
I think Sai King is looking at this as though it were a reincarnation of Roland as he left the top of the Dark Tower to chase the man in black across the desert ∞ At least, that was what I thought I had read. I will have to look into it more.

Isamu Dyson
07-23-2017, 09:41 PM
I think Sai King is looking at this as though it were a reincarnation of Roland as he left the top of the Dark Tower to chase the man in black across the desert ∞ At least, that was what I thought I had read. I will have to look into it more.

Essentially, that is what the story of the planned cinematic franchise will be...a final journey of redemption for a cosmic reincarnation of Roland.

Bev Vincent
07-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Entertainment Weekly: The Dark Tower movie is filled with Stephen King Easter eggs (http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/24/dark-tower-movie-stephen-king-easter-eggs-video/)

Randall Flagg
07-24-2017, 07:32 AM
I caught several.

Pennywise sign with ballons next to it. Looks like it might have been a theme park.
Picture of the Hotel used in the Movie The Shining.
Rita Hayworth Poster.
19 graffiti on ground.
Possible Cujo reference.
Children of the Corn homage.
Christine Car.
Misery's Child book.

I'm sure there are more.

stroppygoblin
07-24-2017, 08:17 AM
I caught several.

Pennywise sign with ballons next to it. Looks like it might have been a theme park.
Rita Hayworth Poster.
19 graffiti on ground.
Possible Cujo reference.
Christine Car.
Misery's Child book.

I'm sure there are more.

14-08 above the portal door.

fernandito
07-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Eleven days...

Br!an
07-24-2017, 08:47 AM
I caught several.

Rita Hayworth Poster.
19 graffiti on ground.
Possible Cujo reference.
Christine Car.
Misery's Child book.

I'm sure there are more.

14-08 above the portal door.

Twins could be The Shining; Happy face = Mr. Mercedes

herbertwest
07-24-2017, 08:54 AM
The Sombra Group apps can be updated for scanning more content... which I guess would be promotional ones?
Maybe the upcoming ART book?

Iwritecode
07-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Here's all the easter eggs from the trailer.

http://ew.com/movies/dark-tower-movie-stephen-king-references/stephen-king-easter-eggs?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

mae
07-24-2017, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bitCJXyHU

burial
07-24-2017, 11:51 AM
NEW POSTERS:
http://kingowiec.pl/image/rxnkagarsfxj/1200/1200/fit/original/#.jpeg
http://kingowiec.pl/image/wqvbznzmcygb/1200/1200/fit/original/#.jpeg

Argie
07-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Im pretty sure the smiley face was used by Walter/Flagg way before Mr Mercedes. Right?

Iwritecode
07-24-2017, 01:10 PM
I seem to remember a smiley face showing up in Desperation as well.

Brainslinger
07-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Are those last two posters Jae Lee art? It looks reminiscent of the comic books style anyway, obviously incorporating three characters' likenesses. Nice touch!

Major Dark Tower cycle spoilers: DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE LAST NOVEL*

Concerning Walter's increased presence compared to the novels, if we want an In-world explanation I wonder how aware of the cycles Walter is. Strictly speaking Walter isn't cycling at all. It's Roland who does that returning back to a past point and bringing minor changes with him. But I wonder if on some level he has an awareness of those other timeliness Roland has walked, and his own role in them.

If he is aware, even just subconsciously that they're nearing the end, maybe that's why Walter is ramping up his operation. Or it's his reaction to Roland's more aggressive pursuance of him, because Roland is aware on some vague level. (That's kind of a contradiction in terms, but I hope you understand what I mean). Or maybe it just seems that way, because we're seeing more of Walters machinations which happened off-page in the book.

*Okay, I'm sure most people here have read the novels already. I just prefer to be safe, as it'd possible people might just come here to learn about the movie without reading the books...

Merlin1958
07-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Are those last two posters Jae Lee art? It looks reminiscent of the comic books style anyway, obviously incorporating three characters' likenesses. Nice touch!

Concerning Walter's increased presence compared to the novels, if we want an In-world explanation I wonder how aware of the cycles Walter is. Strictly speaking Walter isn't cycling at all. It's Roland who does that returning back to a past point and bringing minor changes with him. But I wonder if on some level he has an awareness of those other timeliness Roland has walked, and his own role in them.

If he is aware, even just subconsciously that they're nearing the end, maybe that's why Walter is ramping up his operation. Or it's his reaction to Roland's more aggressive pursuance of him, because Roland is aware on some vague level. (That's kind of a contradiction in terms, but I hope you understand what I mean). Or maybe it just seems that way, because we're seeing more of Walters machinations which happened off-page in the book.

*Okay, I'm sure most people here have read the novels already. I just prefer to be safe, as it'd possible people might just come here to learn about the movie without reading the books...

I'm pretty sure MIB makes reference to his awareness during the palaver in "The Gunslinger", no?

Isamu Dyson
07-24-2017, 10:06 PM
The rumpled/creased state of Roland's clothes in that first poster is oddly appealing to my inner art fan.

Kevin
07-25-2017, 01:30 AM
King posted in Facebook saying the new Jae Lee posters have an Easter egg in them?

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Bev Vincent
07-25-2017, 02:23 AM
King posted in Facebook saying the new Jae Lee posters have an Easter egg in them?

I'm pretty sure I see the eye of the Crimson King to the right and left of Roland's arms. They have a very Rorschach feel to them.

Brainslinger
07-25-2017, 04:14 AM

I'm pretty sure MIB makes reference to his awareness during the palaver in "The Gunslinger", no?

I seem to remember a comment he makes suggests that. I wonder how much he is aware of his own fate in those possible futures

stroppygoblin
07-25-2017, 05:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I see the eye of the Crimson King to the right and left of Roland's arms. They have a very Rorschach feel to them.

The eye can be seen as part of the birds feet as well (just below Roland's belt) turn it 90 deg and you will see it.

It can be found in the MIB poster as well below his elbows and then to the right (or left depending on side)

mae
07-25-2017, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurSORJr2uY

skyofcrack
07-25-2017, 01:37 PM
The soundtrack has some interesting track titles. Don't look if you want to be completely surprised. The tracks seem to be chronological. Not sure if this has been discussed yet.

1. The Dark Tower
2. The Face of My Father
3. I Kill With My Heart
4. Skin People
5. Getting a Toothbrush
6. Dutch Hill
7. Guardian
8. Arrival in Mid-World
9. His Shine Is Pure
10. The Map
11. Thinny
12. Something Got Out
13. We Don't Have Chicken
14. Manny Village
15. See Across Worlds
16. There's Always Another Battle
17. A Chicken, a Goat and One Bullet
18. Keystone Earth
19. Portal Activity
20. Smiley Face
21. The Creed
22. Death Always Wins
23. Dixie Pig
24. Tall, Dark and Handsome
25. Full Package as Advertised
26. It Will Fall
27. Collateral Damage
28. Hot Dogs
29. Roland of Eld (Main Titles)

fernandito
07-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Yup, I touched on that a few pages ago :)

Isamu Dyson
07-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Yup, I touched on that a few pages ago :)

It takes...three...one...seven....two? Yes, two. It takes two to tango.

Isamu Dyson
07-25-2017, 07:14 PM
If you manage to pause the trailer which prominently features Steven Deschain (at 6:47 (https://youtu.be/ZlDrbkxBqD0?t=6m47s), to be precise), you can spot a Sigul of Eld pinned to the collar of his jacket. Pretty cool!

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 07:29 AM
So apparently this is rated PG-13 'for thematic material including sequences of gun violence and action'.

Heather19
07-26-2017, 07:45 AM
So is this movie covering small bits from all books? Or is completely it's own entity? I can't really get a feel from the trailer. It looks like everything is crammed down into one short film and he'll reach the tower by the end.

mae
07-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Check out that last interview with Arcel by Nerdist. He says they pick pretty much from every book but mainly follow 1 and 3.

Iwritecode
07-26-2017, 08:24 AM
I've read more than one comment from people that think this is all the books crammed into one single movie and don't realize that it's only supposed to be the first movie in a series.

They are including a lot of things that existed and were obviously happening during the events of the first few books but we just hadn't been introduced to yet. The Dixie Pig, Blue Heaven, the Breakers, the can-toi... things like that.

Bev Vincent
07-26-2017, 08:31 AM
This is pretty cool, narrated by Idris Elba:

Explore THE DARK TOWER's Connected "Kingdom" in New Video (http://nerdist.com/explore-the-dark-towers-stephen-king-easter-eggs-in-new-video-exclusive/) (Exclusive)

mae
07-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Nerdist has an evil and clunky Flash-based video player. Why isn't this on their YouTube channel?

fernandito
07-26-2017, 08:41 AM
We should start seeing reviews for this begin to pop up online in the next 2-3 days...

mae
07-26-2017, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7TrKv01cg

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Trying not to be cynical for the sake of it but you'd think if they were going to do a trailer capitalizing on DT being connected to the SK 'universe' they'd utilize more works that are actually connected to the series as opposed to stuff from Carrie, The Shining, Christine, Shawshank, etc which have nothing to do with it.

georgiesarm
07-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Well, these are properties that are instantly recognizable to the average audience with one iconic image as opposed to an Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis or Black House. The shot with Christine is actually referencing The Stand, though, with all the cars standing still on a highway and the "Vegas" and "Boulder" signs.

fernandito
07-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Trying not to be cynical for the sake of it but you'd think if they were going to do a trailer capitalizing on DT being connected to the SK 'universe' they'd utilize more works that are actually connected to the series as opposed to stuff from Carrie, The Shining, Christine, Shawshank, etc which have nothing to do with it.

They're trying to connect it to King's cinematic universe, stuff people have actually seen and can recognize.

fernandito
07-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Well, these are properties that are instantly recognizable to the average audience with one iconic image as opposed to an Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis or Black House.

This guy gets it ^

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 10:25 AM
I 'get' what they're going for, it's still misleading and kind of pointless.

Isamu Dyson
07-26-2017, 10:40 AM
We should start seeing reviews for this begin to pop up online in the next 2-3 days...

Are you going to avoid reading them? I know I certainly shall try.

Iwritecode
07-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Shawshank is mentioned in IT, which is connected to the Dark Tower.

Dick Hallorann (from the Shining) survived the fire at the Black Spot in IT, which is connected to the Dark Tower.

Eddie directly references the movie The Shining when looking through the open doorways on the beach in book 2.

In IT, Henry Bowers gets a ride from the dead Belch Higgins in 1985, after he’s broken out of Juniper Hill Asylum. Belch was driving a 1958 red and white Plymouth Fury.

It's not hard to connect all of his books together. Just because they didn't use the symbols from the books with the big obvious connections doesn't mean the intent isn't still there.

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 10:52 AM
That's kind of a stretch. Just because It is connected to DT that doesn't mean every SK reference in It and every book that is somehow connected to those referenced books by themselves makes them all DT connected by proxy. It would be like saying "Misery is part of the DT books because it references The Shining and The Shining is referenced in It and It is connected to DT."

Bev Vincent
07-26-2017, 11:06 AM
From THE DARK TOWER COMPANION: When Jake Chambers enters the Mansion on Dutch Hill while returning to Mid-World, he notices that the wallpaper features capering elves wearing green caps. The same is true of the house on Neibolt Street in Derry...

fernandito
07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
That's kind of a stretch. Just because It is connected to DT that doesn't mean every SK reference in It and every book that is somehow connected to those referenced books by themselves makes them all DT connected by proxy. It would be like saying "Misery is part of the DT books because it references The Shining and The Shining is referenced in It and It is connected to DT."

Who's to say these stories won't be a part of the fabric of the movie universe? Just because a particular story didn't appear in the novels doesn't mean it can't appear in the films. Two completely different entities.

Honestly don't see what the big deal is here.

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's a big deal in comparison to everything else, I just find it to be a bit of misleading marketing.

Iwritecode
07-26-2017, 11:37 AM

How about SK himself?

From the afterword to Wizard and Glass:

I have written enough novels and short stories to fill a solar system of the imagination, but Roland's story is my Jupiter — a planet that dwarfs all the others ... a place of strange atmosphere, crazy landscape and savage gravitational pull. Dwarfs the others, did I say? I think there's more to it than that, actually. I am coming to understand that Roland's world (or worlds) actually contains all the others of my making.

Isamu Dyson
07-26-2017, 01:27 PM
The TC has been absent since "02-02-2008 10:43 PM". Too bad he/she won't be around to discuss the film :frown:.

CyberGhostface
07-26-2017, 01:44 PM

How about SK himself?

I have written enough novels and short stories to fill a solar system of the imagination, but Roland's story is my Jupiter — a planet that dwarfs all the others ... a place of strange atmosphere, crazy landscape and savage gravitational pull. Dwarfs the others, did I say? I think there's more to it than that, actually. I am coming to understand that Roland's world (or worlds) actually contains all the others of my making.

That most of his books take place in the same 'universe' isn't what I'm disputing. (Although King himself did that when he wrote the last book but that's for another time.)

What I'm saying is is that something like Shawshank being in the same world as 'It' deosnt mean its connected to Roland's story via proxy and it doesn't justify the DT movie using it to promote an otherwise unrelated film.

fernandito
07-26-2017, 01:50 PM
The TC has been absent since "02-02-2008 10:43 PM". Too bad he/she won't be around to discuss the film :frown:.

The TC?...

Isamu Dyson
07-26-2017, 02:09 PM

The TC?...

The Topic Creator. Alternately, the Thread Creator. Can't fault them too much though...it HAS been a decade, after all.

mae
07-26-2017, 02:18 PM
I feel fucking old...

Isamu Dyson
07-26-2017, 02:19 PM
I feel fucking old...

Preach it, brother.

fernandito
07-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Lmao. Wait how old are you bro?! I don't think I've ever seen TC before. I've always known it as OP, Original Poster.

mae
07-26-2017, 02:23 PM
When this thread first started George W. Bush was President.

Brian861
07-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Shawshank is mentioned in IT, which is connected to the Dark Tower.

Dick Hallorann (from the Shining) survived the fire at the Black Spot in IT, which is connected to the Dark Tower.

Eddie directly references the movie The Shining when looking through the open doorways on the beach in book 2.

In IT, Henry Bowers gets a ride from the dead Belch Higgins in 1985, after he’s broken out of Juniper Hill Asylum. Belch was driving a 1958 red and white Plymouth Fury.

It's not hard to connect all of his books together. Just because they didn't use the symbols from the books with the big obvious connections doesn't mean the intent isn't still there.

All things serve the Tower, no?

Isamu Dyson
07-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Lmao. Wait how old are you bro?! I don't think I've ever seen TC before. I've always known it as OP, Original Poster.

Oh, yes, OP works too!

As for my age? Old enough to vote but not old enough to collect Social Security.

When this thread first started George W. Bush was President.

Not to mention people were still ardently defending the "War on Terror".

Iwritecode
07-27-2017, 05:18 AM

How about SK himself?

That most of his books take place in the same 'universe' isn't what I'm disputing. (Although King himself did that when he wrote the last book but that's for another time.)

What I'm saying is is that something like Shawshank being in the same world as 'It' deosnt mean its connected to Roland's story via proxy and it doesn't justify the DT movie using it to promote an otherwise unrelated film.

At the 8 second mark in this trailer you see the Rita Hayworth poster. The movies *are* connected and it's totally justified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bitCJXyHU

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 05:39 AM
That's like saying if a poster of Spider-Man appeared for a split-second in the background of a scene it would be totally justified to have one of the trailers prominently depict him swinging through the city and webbing up low men. It's misleading.

Ben Staad
07-27-2017, 06:27 AM
In my mind these are just "fun" connections to the overall SK universe. They literally have next to nothing to do with TDT and only serve to generate buzz. It is in the same vain as throwing in zingers to get a quick and easy reaction. Not substantive to the story IMO.

That's like saying if a poster of Spider-Man appeared for a split-second in the background of a scene it would be totally justified to have one of the trailers prominently depict him swinging through the city and webbing up low men. It's misleading.

Merlin1958
07-27-2017, 06:36 AM
There is a "Dark Tower" Ad on the right field wall in Yankee stadium!!!

Also, check this out..............

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78239

Iwritecode
07-27-2017, 08:13 AM

Spiderman isn't a story written by SK so that's a horrible strawman argument. They are merely pointing out to people not familiar with the SK universe that all his stories are connected. So if they've seen the Shining, or the Stand, or IT or The Shawshank Redemption, or Cujo or Christine, they might catch little hints back to those movies/stories in this movie. I don't understand why this is such a problem to you.

I remember back before I even read the Gunslinger (this had to have been around 1999 or 2000) the person that let me borrow the book told me that all of SK's stories are connected. So it's not uncommon knowledge.

Ben Staad
07-27-2017, 08:47 AM
For me the goal of this movie is to continue a wonderful story intertwined with the mythos we all love. These easter eggs are not really easter eggs at all and serve no purpose to further the primary connections we are all familiar with. In other words they do not move the story forward or provide for a progressive narrative.

Spiderman isn't a story written by SK so that's a horrible strawman argument. They are merely pointing out to people not familiar with the SK universe that all his stories are connected. So if they've seen the Shining, or the Stand, or IT or The Shawshank Redemption, or Cujo or Christine, they might catch little hints back to those movies/stories in this movie. I don't understand why this is such a problem to you.

I remember back before I even read the Gunslinger (this had to have been around 1999 or 2000) the person that let me borrow the book told me that all of SK's stories are connected. So it's not uncommon knowledge.

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 08:49 AM

It's misleading because it's selling the movie on iconic scenes from other King films/books that at most get a background easter egg like a poster on the wall or photograph of a hotel in the film. I've seen a LOT of people talking about this like there's going to be some big "expanded universe" of SK stuff akin to what Marvel is doing with their movies and that's bullshit. It's never going to happen. If the promotional materials are trying to sell that idea to fans, then they're misrepresenting their film. The closest thing is that Castle Rock show maybe.

And people greatly overemphasize how much King's books are actually connected to the DT series given that he basically gave up on trying to make everything fit. "Dennis and Thomas met up with Flagg and confronted him... lolnope! Jack Sawyer still has a role to play in the story of the Dark Tower.... uhhh...maybe not..." Heck the last book had an entire chapter for King to tell fans to stop looking for connections because King's connection to Ka was muddled and the books are mind-traps.

St. Troy
07-27-2017, 09:05 AM
I'd say that right now, at the outset of whatever life the DT adaptations (movie(s), TV) go on to have, is the perfect time for producers/studios to speak up, to the masses, about the connections between SK's works, whatever their relevance to the movie that's upon us right now - they don't (yet) know DT, but they know King. This is the time for piquing interest, not the time for secrets.

Iwritecode
07-27-2017, 09:06 AM
It's misleading because it's selling the movie on iconic scenes from other King films/books that at most get a background easter egg like a poster on the wall or photograph of a hotel in the film. I've seen a LOT of people talking about this like there's going to be some big "expanded universe" of SK stuff akin to what Marvel is doing with their movies and that's bullshit. It's never going to happen. If the promotional materials are trying to sell that idea to fans, then they're misrepresenting their film. The closest thing is that Castle Rock show maybe.

I think it is possible and they are trying to lay the groundwork for something like that to eventually happen.

They are selling the movie as a story by Stephen King. This trailer is for all the people that have seen the movies but never read the books. They are basically saying "Hey, did you like this other movie that's also a story by Stephen King? Then you might like this story as well."

skyofcrack
07-27-2017, 10:56 AM
I like how the start times at theaters include 19.

mae
07-27-2017, 02:00 PM
http://collider.com/the-dark-tower-atlanta-screening/

The first novel in The Dark Tower series was published in 1982. 35 years later, Stephen King’s magnum opus is finally reaching the big screen. It carries with it a lot of expectations and possibly a lot of complications. I’ve covered the various iterations of this project for years, and I’m curious to see how it’s all come together. I’m also eager to hear what die-hard fans of the books think of the big screen realization of this project.

I’m pleased to announce we’re giving away 25 admit-two passes to the Atlanta screening of The Dark Tower. To enter for a chance to see the movie early and for free, send an e-mail to Collider.Passes@gmail.com with the subject line “THE DARK TOWER”. The screening is on Wednesday, August 2nd at 7pm at Regal Atlantic Station, so please don’t enter if you think you’ll be unavailable. Multiple entries from a single person will disqualify all entries from that person.

The Dark Tower opens August 4th and stars Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor, Claudia Kim, Fran Kranz, Abbey Lee, and Jackie Earle Haley.

Brian861
07-27-2017, 02:00 PM
I love the SK universe trailer (if that's what we're calling)! And Idris killed it in narrating it. Matter of fact I'd love to hear Idris narrate each book unabridged! My hope is that maybe this will open the door for more remakes of SK films that deserved better. Yes, probably wishful thinking. But wishing thinking put a man on the moon (well, maybe :lol:) and the internet in the palm of your hand. I don't honestly think I'll care for TDT film very much, but who knows, maybe I will. To me personally, IT is a must see and Mr. Mercedes looks to be awesome as well.

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-dark-tower-promos-only-talk-about-other-stephen-k-1797270800

fernandito
07-27-2017, 03:08 PM
http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-dark-tower-promos-only-talk-about-other-stephen-k-1797270800

Author of the article: CyberGhostFace.

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 03:26 PM
lol they're far more optimistic than I would have been. The pg-13 rating for a story based on a novel where the main protagonist forcibly gives a woman an abortion with his gun before shooting up an entire town and killing every man, woman and child was the straw that broke the bumbler's back for me.

Isamu Dyson
07-27-2017, 04:57 PM
lol they're far more optimistic than I would have been. The pg-13 rating for a story based on a novel where the main protagonist forcibly gives a woman an abortion with his gun before shooting up an entire town and killing every man, woman and child was the straw that broke the bumbler's back for me.

"Abortion" is putting it lightly. That was straight up sexual assault or even "rape".

Anyhow, deviation from storyline events aside, what do you think of Elba's take on Mr. Deschain?

mae
07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
So anyone here in the Atlanta area and might see the movie early?

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 05:42 PM

"Abortion" is putting it lightly. That was straight up sexual assault or even "rape".

Anyhow, deviation from storyline events aside, what do you think of Elba's take on Mr. Deschain?

Don't know. No one involved including Matt (who was my dream RF) are doing much to impress me yet.

Isamu Dyson
07-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Don't know. No one involved including Matt (who was my dream RF) are doing much to impress me yet.

Here is to hoping you give this film the fairest of shakes and not rely solely on word-of-mouth :thumbsup:.

CyberGhostface
07-27-2017, 07:42 PM
I thought 1408 was going to be crap but it was pretty good so I'll say as much if that's the case here. But every time I look its something worse. First they pretty much admit that they're using the 'cycle' bit as an excuse to just do their own thing and barely follow the books. Then the trailers make it look like some superhero/Matrix combo . Then we find out it's about 90 minutes long. Finally they say it's PG-13. They keep on finding ways to sink lower.

And what bothers me is I look at something like Mad Max: Fury Road, Logan, pretty much anything the Coen brothers have done lately or the American Gods series on Starz and it shows that something that at minimum is faithful to the spirit of King's work was in reach. We're not talking "Make the Silmarillion into a blockbuster hit". Even worse, Frank Darabont WANTED to do DT. The guy who took a short story about monsters invading a supermarket that would have been a Syfy original movie in anyone else's hands and turned it into something that people are still talking about today. And King turned him down. So at the end of the day if this is some disaster the blame is 100% on King's shoulders.

Isamu Dyson
07-27-2017, 10:40 PM
My desire for sequels only continues to grow in intensity. Even if we aren't receiving the full play-by-play, we may yet see select scenes and/or characters close to their literary counterparts (Eddie Dean, Blaine the Mono, Lud, the Wolves and so forth).

And, again, if this take on The Dark Tower is a hit, the odds of a straight(er) adaptation down the line only go UP thanks to instilled confidence.

mae
07-28-2017, 06:15 AM
https://twitter.com/needledesign/status/889239073482735616

Here are some designs i did for @SonyPictures a few months back fir @DarkTowerMovie starring @idriselba #DarkTower @StephenKing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJyWAAAsnRz.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJyXUAEjL3J.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJ9XsAArzx3.jpg

fivethirtytwo
07-28-2017, 06:48 AM
The entire Dark Tower OST has dropped on youtube. Have sifted through most of the tracks - these two are phenomenal:

https://youtu.be/iRQfu_I72I4
https://youtu.be/-9GrJS7to50

If manners maketh man, soundtracks maketh the movie. This is a heartening start!

CyberGhostface
07-28-2017, 07:22 AM
J/w what do you guys/gals think of Robert Carlyle as Walter? I just realized my main issue with Matt here is he's too grim. If you look at Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon a Time, that's more or less how I imagine Walter to be in 'The Gunslinger'. He even has the titter down pat.

St. Troy
07-28-2017, 07:27 AM
I like Carlyle and enjoyed the few times I saw him on Once Upon A Time (I don't watch it, but someone in the family used to so I saw some episodes). I think he'd do well in just about anything. Nice suggestion.

fernandito
07-28-2017, 08:05 AM
https://twitter.com/needledesign/status/889239073482735616

Here are some designs i did for @SonyPictures a few months back fir @DarkTowerMovie starring @idriselba #DarkTower @StephenKing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJyWAAAsnRz.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJyXUAEjL3J.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFc2OJ9XsAArzx3.jpg

These are phenomalea. The McC one looks to be inspired by his turn in True Detective.

fernandito
07-28-2017, 08:07 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/08/c8/fc08c821e8cb79f330e7a5735d304ceb.jpg

Tommy
07-28-2017, 08:09 AM
The entire Dark Tower OST has dropped on youtube. Have sifted through most of the tracks - these two are phenomenal:

https://youtu.be/iRQfu_I72I4
https://youtu.be/-9GrJS7to50

If manners maketh man, soundtracks maketh the movie. This is a heartening start!

LOVE Junkie XL, thanks for posting that!

mae
07-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Could be illegal, though. Junkie XL has his own YouTube channel where his albums are streamed officially: https://www.youtube.com/user/junkiexlofficial/playlists?shelf_id=400020002&sort=dd&view=50

Brainslinger
07-28-2017, 10:17 AM
I saw the trailer at the cinema before Spider-man:Homecoming yesterday. Shouldn't be a surprise, this close to release, but it's nice to see it being advertised here in the UK. (I can't say if there have been trailers on the TV as my main exposure to TV is catchup.)

Isamu Dyson
07-28-2017, 12:16 PM
These are phenomalea. The McC one looks to be inspired by his turn in True Detective.

I'd have liked to have seen red eyes...pinpricks, even...but the overall design is spot-on. Maybe glowing irises would be more in-line with his persona in The Stand?

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123441/3101431-standcomicspromo.jpg

BuctherOfTull
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
I predict a "Good time no alcohol required" from Jeremy Johns And a C+ to a B from Chris Stuckman. My favorite youtube critics. Sorry I just don't think this movie will be bad.

Jon
07-29-2017, 08:19 PM
I am hoping to see Andy (and many other characters.)

herbertwest
07-30-2017, 09:47 AM
>>> https://twitter.com/DarkTowerMovie/status/891715129057980417

Ben Staad
07-30-2017, 10:19 AM
What does that mean? I don't really do apps so I'm just curious.

ICry4Oy
07-30-2017, 02:24 PM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4307/36231798856_01ff319c11.jpg

Randall Flagg
07-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Another underwhelming app. Much like the Sombra Group app.
Beta testing (at best), and we are the mules.

Merlin1958
07-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Most likely.

herbertwest
07-31-2017, 05:20 AM
Up until now I thought that the promo for THE DARK TOWER was quite low. Since this morning I must have seen some background display advertising for the movie on 5-10 websites, so I guess that they decided to go the digital way. Hope that it will pay off !

mikeC
07-31-2017, 05:48 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4307/36231798856_01ff319c11.jpg

Beautiful.

Ben Staad
07-31-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks. So this is similar to what (I think Patrick) shared awhile ago. You take a picture and then this app transposes something added over it or to it.

If anyone has done this and can share the photos it would be appreciated.

Randall Flagg
07-31-2017, 06:35 AM
Thanks. So this is similar to what (I think Patrick) shared awhile ago. You take a picture and then this app transposes something added over it or to it.

If anyone has done this and can share the photos it would be appreciated.

Check out Patrick's avatar. That is the picture using the app to scan a page in entertainment Weekly, that created a 3-d like image of a rose.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/image.php?u=32&dateline=1469312523.

Sai Sheb
07-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Guess who got TDT poster early!! Yes you got it ME!! They gave it to me today... How do I post a photo of it on the thread... It won't let me.

Ben Staad
07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
Awesome! Congrats, Mr. Sai Sheb. I am not sure how to upload here but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Guess who got TDT poster early!! Yes you got it ME!! They gave it to me today... How do I post a photo of it on the thread... It won't let me.

fernandito
07-31-2017, 08:22 AM
It worries me that there are no reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes yet and we're less than a week away from release. :(

webstar1000
07-31-2017, 08:25 AM
It worries me that there are no reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes yet and we're less than a week away from release. :(

This is done often... and doesn't worry me anymore. It used to when it was a bad movie and the studio thought so as well. Thus putting an embargo on it. I think it isn't as big a deal as it once was though....

Tommy
07-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Tonight, Idris Elba is on Jimmy Fallon and McConaughey is on Colbert.

Brian861
07-31-2017, 01:12 PM

Will have to check both out!

mae
07-31-2017, 01:15 PM
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/31/jae-lee-dark-tower-poster-art-purchase/

Jae Lee was the artist that brought Stephen King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower, to comic shops with the first three series from Marvel: The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home and Treachery then coming back later to do the Battle of Jericho Hill. His dark, unique style set the stage for one the series would look like. It makes perfect sense, then, that Sony tapped Lee to do two new posters (most definitely not fan art, as the film’s Twitter mistakenly named it) for the upcoming film featuring Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black and Idris Elba as Roland the Gunslinger. You can even see in the trailers how Lee’s art influenced the look of the film.

Sony is being very ambitious with this franchise, already planning a TV prequel and multiple films to truly explore the expansive world created by King.

The original art for the two posters are now available for sale, though no specific price is being given — it only says “please inquire”. It also says that these pieces will only be available until August 2nd, so it seems like it may be a highest offer by Wednesday gets them. The Man in Black is here and the Gunslinger is here. You can make offers on the pieces individually or together.

From a collector’s point of view, these are two pieces of original art for movie posters at the start of what could be a mega-franchise. And where it might flop, you’ve got a lot of reasons to believe it won’t when you look at Ron Howard directing, McConaughey and Elba starring, and a beloved world that King crafted. There are no guarantees in the entertainment industry, but you can see why Sony is pretty confident in this property — which means these pieces could be huge.

Catch The Dark Tower in theaters this Friday, August 4th.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DarkTower1-600x800.jpg https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DarkTower2-600x800.jpg

Lookwhoitis
07-31-2017, 02:13 PM

Classic studio misdirect when the film is possibly a turkey. I've seen a LOT of tv commercials, too which is another sign.

Oh well :cry: at least it probably won't flop harder than Valerian.

mae
07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
A preview, not a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikTNZc491Y

mae
07-31-2017, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAeKfzYBOI

mae
07-31-2017, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuLN3ewnbw

mae
07-31-2017, 05:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSaBhzm4fso

mae
07-31-2017, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zAi62KHko

wolfehr
07-31-2017, 06:31 PM
‘The Dark Tower’ Director Says Television Series Will Be ‘Totally Canon’

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/the-dark-tower-television-series-canon-film-1201861769/

herbertwest
08-01-2017, 12:19 AM
What does that mean exactly?
I remember reading a wee while ago that this film is a "canon sequel" or something like this, so what does that word means?

frik
08-01-2017, 01:31 AM
I remember reading a wee while ago that this film is a "canon sequel" or something like this, so what does that word means?

Totally faithful to the books, Jeremy.
Unlike the upcoming movie.

sk

Iwritecode
08-01-2017, 04:57 AM
The events of W&G happened outside the loop and essentially can't be changed. So they kinda have to stick with what happened in the book.

Brian861
08-01-2017, 05:36 AM
That dude is just the essence of cool :cool:

Iwritecode
08-01-2017, 05:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRtPan09Ek0

This even shows a short clip of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS0MdYK8Lbk

CyberGhostface
08-01-2017, 06:02 AM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-dark-towers-really-dumb-plan-cinematic-universe/

CyberGhostface
08-01-2017, 07:54 AM
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-dark-tower-making-of-stephen-king-1202511835/

:frown2:

fernandito
08-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Strange, I never felt like there was any sort of clash between Ancel and TPB regarding creative differences. Certainly stories like that seem to pop up almost instantly in this day and age.

Well, we're just a few days away so I'm waiting to judge the film on its own merits.

mikeC
08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-dark-tower-making-of-stephen-king-1202511835/

:frown2:

I wouldn't frown too much dude we knew most of this stuff already. Not specifically, but we had an idea things weren't going smoothly, the doesn't mean the movie will be bad.

herbertwest
08-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Totally faithful to the books, Jeremy.
Unlike the upcoming movie.

sk

Thanks

Iwritecode
08-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Idris Elba live on FB right now.

https://www.facebook.com/SonyPictures/videos/10154742997106931/

mae
08-01-2017, 09:29 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_%28fiction%29

In fiction, canon is the material accepted as officially part of the story in an individual universe of that story. It is often contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction. The alternative terms mythology, timeline, and continuity are often used, with the former being especially used to refer to a richly detailed fictional canon requiring a large degree of suspension of disbelief (e.g. an entire imaginary world and history), while the latter two typically refer to a single arc where all events are directly connected chronologically. Other times, the word can mean "to be acknowledged by the creator(s)."

mae
08-01-2017, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SnwIhr7-E

mae
08-01-2017, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNc7idKRZl0

mae
08-01-2017, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=semgBbpS_O0

mae
08-01-2017, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRHom4Zmcs

mae
08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LtHzuZc6yY

mae
08-01-2017, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXh_nZWp4Xs

webstar1000
08-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Tickets booked. DBOX first film of the day Friday.

Lookwhoitis
08-01-2017, 03:10 PM
we should have an over/under contest on what the Tomatometer % and audience percentage will be

That is when they are contractually "allowed" to post results (I wonder how much they got paid by the studio to have hidden numbers before the opening weekend?)

fernandito
08-01-2017, 03:17 PM
If it stays above 70% I'd be ECSTATIC.

Randall Flagg
08-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Over under 3 days after release is 52.5

The money line is $109 to buy the over, $130 to buy the under.

Casino is now open.

BuctherOfTull
08-01-2017, 04:44 PM
No more then 58%. This flim will be mixed. No two ways about it. 70% is a pipe dream. :( But im still very excited. Haven't been this pumped for a movie in a long time.

DoctorDodge
08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
If it stays above 70% I'd be ECSTATIC.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember being so happy about Dredd getting rated much higher than I had dared hope for. Let's hope the same for the Dark Tower. (Only, with a way higher box office, obviously.)

Brainslinger
08-01-2017, 04:58 PM
So... Walter wants Jake as a Breaker in this version, eh? I didn't think his power was high enough to qualify for that...

And 'shine' instead of 'touch'. Hmm.

Not a big deal. I just wonder if they're going with the latter to make the link with King's work's elsewhere more explicit.

To quote another franchise, I have a bit of a bad feeling about this (not for the small things above necesarily, just considering other recent news) but I'll keep an open mind.

I'll probably like it anyway, as I tend to like things many complain about. Heh.

Tommy
08-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Elba on Seth Meyers tonight

CyberGhostface
08-01-2017, 08:09 PM
"What was fun for us was Walter is — and always will be in all the Stephen king movies — just plain effing evil. There's no excuse. He's not trying to say, 'well I was mistreated as a child.' None of that," he says.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-tower-pitch-won-matthew-mcconaughey-1025824

I'd say a farm boy named Walter Padick begs to differ, Matt. <_<

Yeah I know... probably hasn't read the books... but still.

mae
08-02-2017, 04:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGmyhDHIHQ

Steve
08-02-2017, 05:07 AM
"What was fun for us was Walter is — and always will be in all the Stephen king movies — just plain effing evil. There's no excuse. He's not trying to say, 'well I was mistreated as a child.' None of that," he says.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-tower-pitch-won-matthew-mcconaughey-1025824

I actually never liked that bit of character reveal myself, but even so, Walter never uses that as an excuse, and that's what McConaughey is saying. He may very well have been damaged in his youth, but he doesn't use that as a crutch or an excuse. He's evil because he is.

Iwritecode
08-02-2017, 05:13 AM
So... Walter wants Jake as a Breaker in this version, eh? I didn't think his power was high enough to qualify for that...

Sure it is. At one point they were taking anyone and everyone they could get. But I think by the time we were introduced to Blue Heaven in books 6 and 7, they were so far along they weren't actively seeking anymore breakers. Plus they had Ted back.

brethren
08-02-2017, 06:55 AM
I was trying to decide if I wanted to go to the early or late show tomorrow, but I don't see how I can pass on going to the 7:19 showing (the other one is 9:40).

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 09:13 AM
oh my 7:19! That is my bday lol

mae
08-02-2017, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXx0JoBpneo

wolfehr
08-02-2017, 09:47 AM
7:19pm = 19:19 on a 24hr clock.

8/3/17 > 8+3+1+7 = 19

NoAttitudeThisTime
08-02-2017, 10:03 AM
A preview, not a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikTNZc491Y

Funny how Danish people are so often called Dutch :D

mae
08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5FT9vVUWa0

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 11:42 AM

I actually never liked that bit of character reveal myself, but even so, Walter never uses that as an excuse, and that's what McConaughey is saying. He may very well have been damaged in his youth, but he doesn't use that as a crutch or an excuse. He's evil because he is.

Well its speculation but Bev guessed that what happened there may have been why he had it in for Delain in Eyes of the Dragon.

mae
08-02-2017, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP_je8CMkE

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 04:03 PM
so the dark Tower film is being promoted by..... ARBY's? :deadhorse:

https://www.facebook.com/arbys/

Let me guess:

Fade In: A Gunslinger walks into a bar past a devil-grass chewing hobo. Hey Jude is playing on the piano.

There on the bar sits a Roast Beef Max plus a side of Potato Cakes (gleaming and lit in an art-house film fashion).

Gunslinger asks bartender for a milkshake. "I'd Like a Jamocha shake with that"

Bartender: "Sorry, the milkshake machine is not working... all the cows died from eating devilgrass. That's why we had to cobble that sandwich together using the dead donkey you rode in on, what was left of the town's dogs, and a few rats we scrounged up from the cellar. I can serve you a shot of whiskey in this cup though..."

Bartender holds up Arby's cup for the camera.

Close up on gunslinger's face. A quizzical look morphs into one of rage.

Gunslinger shoots everyone in bar dead in giant gunfight scene. Curly Fries, Blood, and and Surprise Face Patrons litter the floor.

Gunslinger stops his slaughter before killing the piano player who is sitting there fish-mouthed with his hands frozen over the keys.

Gunslinger: "Keep playin... while I eat"

Piano Player breaks back into song. Gunslinger picks up Roast Beef Max and begins to chow down like he hasn't eaten mystery meat in a month of Sundays.

Fade out on Arby's Logo and a cartoon image of the Gunslinger wearing a Giant Cowboy Hat. I mean GIANT, almost half as tall as he is. Spaghetti Western Jingle plays...

PRODUCER'S NOTE: WE CAN'T AFFORD THE RIGHTS TO "HEY JUDE." GET ME THE LATEST BIEBER, GAGA, OR KATY PERRY SMASH HIT!

i have a sneaking suspicion i might feel like I do after I eat an ARBY's after I view this Movie

:Shithead emoji:

Disclaimer: I enjoy the taste of an ARBY's (and eat some from time to time) I just do not prefer what they do to my gastro-intestinal system :frown1:

Bev Vincent
08-02-2017, 04:21 PM
I saw the movie last night in Bangor -- was embargoed from discussing it until just about now. My review should be up at CD Online tomorrow.

mae
08-02-2017, 04:28 PM
I saw the movie last night in Bangor -- was embargoed from discussing it until just about now. My review should be up at CD Online tomorrow.

Overall thoughts in 140 characters?

webstar1000
08-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Bev can you say if you liked it or not?

needfulthings
08-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Is the CHARLIE THE CHOO CHOO book in the film?

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 05:01 PM
so the dark Tower film is being promoted by..... ARBY's? :deadhorse:

https://www.facebook.com/arbys/

"I'd want a sauce that didn't look quite so much like come, myself, but may it do ya fine."

Although looking at their facebook it seems like the interns are having fun, there was a Twin Peaks reference a while ago for example.

Bev Vincent
08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
I didn't see Charlie the Choo-Choo. I'm also not sure I saw the "lobstrosity" in the Dixie Pig which was in earlier footage, but there was a lot going on in that scene.

My tweet-friendly review: I liked it A LOT. They took the books apart and put them back together in a new and interesting way. The heart and soul of the books are here.

I plan to see it again tomorrow night at 19:19

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I didn't see Charlie the Choo-Choo. I'm also not sure I saw the "lobstrosity" in the Dixie Pig which was in earlier footage, but there was a lot going on in that scene.

My tweet-friendly review: I liked it A LOT. They took the books apart and put them back together in a new and interesting way. The heart and soul of the books are here.

I plan to see it again tomorrow night at 19:19

good news :)

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Reviews are coming in.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017/

At 21% now. Think it'll get down to 19?

BuctherOfTull
08-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Reviews are coming in.

Sigh... I may end up personally boycotting Sony movies from now on. Even Spider-Man. Oh well I'm still going to see it. But it will most likely be the LAST time I give Sony pictures any more money.

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Anyone wants a pretty spoilerific rundown...

http://www.tracking-board.com/the-dark-tower-review-stephen-king-movie-is-a-cgi-fueled-disaster-about-the-wrong-character/

EEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Tommy
08-02-2017, 08:45 PM
:cry:

needfulthings
08-02-2017, 09:04 PM
:wtf:And NO Charlie the Choo Choo tie -in either?:FU:.....:lol:

Tommy
08-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Reviews are coming in.

18% now....

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Reviews are coming in.

18% now....

Doh! :arg:

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 10:07 PM
http://uproxx.com/movies/the-dark-tower-review/

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/the-dark-tower-review-stephen-king-idris-elba-1201861528/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dark-tower-1026375

Dog's Breakfast ( i knew it! ) :mad:

CyberGhostface
08-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Have to say I expected a 40% RT rating. Wouldn't have guessed we'd be hitting below 20%...

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Reviews are coming in.

Sigh... I may end up personally boycotting Sony movies from now on. Even Spider-Man. Oh well I'm still going to see it. But it will most likely be the LAST time I give Sony pictures any more money.

go pay for a good film (Detriot, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, ect) then afterwards sneak into the Dark Tower screening for free.

Lookwhoitis
08-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Have to say I expected a 40% RT rating. Wouldn't have guessed we'd be hitting below 20%...

even VALERIAN is at 51% on RT.

The only summer movie the Dark Tower might be able to beat is the Emoji movie :mad::FU::rolleyes3::pullhair:

Tommy
08-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Well, it's still higher than Maximum Overdrive (17%), Thinner (16%), Graveyard Shift (13%) and Cell (11%). :doh:

georgiesarm
08-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Apparently my three favorite scenes from the 2014 script, Tull, Lobstrosities Attack, Jake's Death, are not in the film. I kinda considered these important set pieces to bring that The Dark Tower atmosphere, especially since the movie promises to give us so little from the books. Add to that the poor reception from critics and audience so far, and this is just setting up for a major disappointment.

I fully realize I shouldn't judge the movie before seeing it, but on the other hand, doesn't it feel like this should've been much bigger than a movie? It could have been a lifetime event for us fans. Instead it came by one random week in August with little fanfare and will be quickly forgotten.

In a way, I most of all pity the director. He says he grew up with The Dark Tower. Loves it. But can he ever pick up the series again and enjoy reading it?

Merlin1958
08-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Apparently my three favorite scenes from the 2014 script, Tull, Lobstrosities Attack, Jake's Death, are not in the film. I kinda considered these important set pieces to bring that The Dark Tower atmosphere, especially since the movie promises to give us so little from the books. Add to that the poor reception from critics and audience so far, and this is just setting up for a major disappointment.

I fully realize I shouldn't judge the movie before seeing it, but on the other hand, doesn't it feel like this should've been much bigger than a movie? It could have been a lifetime event for us fans. Instead it came by one random week in August with little fanfare and will be quickly forgotten.

In a way, I most of all pity the director. He says he grew up with The Dark Tower. Loves it. But can he ever pick up the series again and enjoy reading it?

:crow burp:

Not your post, but the message it and others have delivered so far..................... Arrrrgggghhhhh!

Sai Sheb
08-03-2017, 12:37 AM
Kings films rarely get good feedback, they just don't get it, so let's not PANIC just yet... How am I kidding, PANIC, they fucked up! But I'm still going to see it.

herbertwest
08-03-2017, 12:58 AM
So far, it's 7.6 on the IMDB ratings

webstar1000
08-03-2017, 02:19 AM
Reviews are coming in.

Why cause some reviewers said it sucked? Our own King Guru Bev Vincent just said it was great. Don't be a whiner and give it a try!

mae
08-03-2017, 02:32 AM
Nice 2-hour long roundtable discussion of the film:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/episode-25-the-dark-tower-roundtable-movie-review/

mae
08-03-2017, 02:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIFPBrpTr8A

mae
08-03-2017, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZso-5Q_z4

mae
08-03-2017, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-odECVtqb1k

wolfehr
08-03-2017, 03:50 AM
Reviews are coming in.

For what it's worth, Disney had a huge part in the new Spiderman. Sony enlisted their help when they realized they are somehow unable to make a good Spiderman movie.

divemaster
08-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Reviews are coming in.

18% now....

Doh! :arg:

I skimmed over the review blurbs on the RT front page:

"...summons an emotional impact of close to zero...."

and

"...victim of trying to do too much and too little at the same time."

Those were from the POSITIVE "Fresh" rated reviews.

Bev Vincent
08-03-2017, 04:22 AM
Here is my long, rambling review: http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/the-dark-tower-movie-review-by-bev-vincent/

CyberGhostface
08-03-2017, 04:29 AM
I've said it before but at the end of the day the fault for this lies 100% on King. That's what makes this sting. On another level of the Tower Frank Darabont would have been at the helm but on this one King said no to him and we got this.

mae
08-03-2017, 04:33 AM
I'm not making any decisions without seeing the movie first this weekend, and it's likely to make its money back, but the early critical reaction is not encouraging for a sequel. But the critics have been wrong before (Batman vs. Superman, which I loved). If this flops, though, it sounds like it's self-contained enough, making it somewhat easy to be resurrected in something like Netflix as a series.

divemaster
08-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Here is my long, rambling review: http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/the-dark-tower-movie-review-by-bev-vincent/

Nice review. Thanks for the link!

Iwritecode
08-03-2017, 05:10 AM

Comparing this review to the others from people that have never read the books is like night and day. That might not be a good thing but it seems like some of the things people are complaining about in the movie are exactly like they were in the book.

I saw one that said it was never explained exactly why Walter wants to bring down the tower. I don't think he really had a good reason in the books either did he? He just wanted to enjoy the chaos?

It also doesn't sound like the movie did a great job of explaining the beams holding up the tower?

CyberGhostface
08-03-2017, 05:18 AM
I saw one that said it was never explained exactly why Walter wants to bring down the tower. I don't think he really had a good reason in the books either did he? He just wanted to enjoy the chaos?

He didn't want to bring down the Tower in the books, his goal was to reach the top for himself and become God of All.

georgiesarm
08-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Comparing this review to the others from people that have never read the books is like night and day. That might not be a good thing but it seems like some of the things people are complaining about in the movie are exactly like they were in the book.

Reading/listening to reviews from people who've read the book is certainly interesting. A lot of them conclude that it missed the essence of what make the book so special: a genre-bending, grand mythos filled with fleshed out characters and King's ballsy writing. Instead they describe it as a bland, rushed interpretation of elements with characters reduced to 1-dimensional representations. Apparently, Walter's dialogue consists mostly of exposition, to the point that he talks out loud about how the guns of Roland were made out of Excalibur while the two of them are fighting

Iwritecode
08-03-2017, 05:40 AM

He didn't want to bring down the Tower in the books, his goal was to reach the top for himself and become God of All.

Oh that's right. That's why he was after Mordred's foot in the last book.

But I thought that information didn't come until the later books. In the first few books, he intentions weren't really clear.

Randall Flagg
08-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Not looking too good:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017/#contentReviews

georgiesarm
08-03-2017, 05:54 AM
It currently has a 35 on Metacritic. If it lowers 2 more points, it will end up in the top 5 worst rated King movies (interesting scroll through, btw): http://www.metacritic.com/pictures/stephen-king-movies-ranked-worst-to-best?ref=hp

CyberGhostface
08-03-2017, 05:57 AM
So in retrospect there's really no reason why they couldn't have given us a straight R-rated adaptation of the first book, is there?

Kingfan24
08-03-2017, 05:57 AM
I figured this would happen - from the very start with casting choices it's seemed like a mistake.

Ben Staad
08-03-2017, 06:00 AM
The popcorn might not even make up for this....

J/K

georgiesarm
The leading cast seems to be the factor that scores the film some points. Especially Idris appears to elevate his part without given a lot to do.

brethren
I think pretty much everyone here knew this was going to happen, but just didn't want to believe it.

Ben Staad
08-03-2017, 06:02 AM
LOL. I like the review that notes that MM appears to be filming an extended cut of his car commercial.

Not looking too good:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017/#contentReviews

mae
08-03-2017, 06:04 AM
RT is now at 16%. How low can you go :panic:

CyberGhostface
08-03-2017, 06:08 AM
Matt was one of the few things I was looking forward to, sad to hear he didn't do a good job. Maybe in retrospect he wasn't the best choice.

I wonder how Jeffrey Dean Morgan would do as Flagg, he seems to have the whole "good-natured asshole" aspect down pat as Negan over at The Walking Dead. The Stand miniseries hasn't aged well but Jamey Sheridan was great at channeling Flagg's charisma.

webstar1000
08-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Interesting how people that liked the books and know the story are the ones liking it..... I am not surprised. I cannot wait till tomorrow to see it.