PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BlainetheMono
08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I like Gendy Tartakovsky. Are none of you guys fans of Samurai Jack? I think his artwork would look good in depicting the DT series.

herbertwest
08-25-2008, 08:35 AM
interesting news...
Which wikipedia article is that from?

Is there any source related?

streetbudz
08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Like it was said in an earlier post this is really old news. Nothing came out of this. HBO did do a good job with with the Spawn animated series. But this is not going to happen. At least in the form mentioned.

Brainslinger
08-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I think the Dark Tower cycle could work in an animation (not sure about the author stuff though.) I've also seen some Samurai Jack and Clone Wars (the earlier non 3D version) and liked the style, but I don't think it would fit with the DT story. You need a more realistic style for that, I think. Not necessarily 3-D mind, in fact, preferably not.

Wuducynn
08-25-2008, 11:16 AM
You need a more realistic style for that, I think. Agreed.

Not necessarily 3-D mind, in fact, preferably not.

Don't agree.

Aaron
08-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Animation is a medium that has a lot of freedom, and that also would solve a lot of the logistical problems that would arise in adapting the story to film, but it is also a fine line to walk if you want to bring in viewers, which means it would have to be executed brilliantly in order to stay on the air. But I doubt this is the direction things are going to go. As Val mentioned, this is very old news, and JJ Abrams has already obtained the rights. So it really comes down to what he wants to do with it at this point.

BlainetheMono
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
If you guys had a choice woiuld you prefer to see a DT adaptation as animation or live action? On the same note, would you rather see a Lord of the Rings style succession of feature films or a The Stand style television mini-series? (assuming it would be on HBO or something for the violence and blood-shed)

Sorox the Gunslinger
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I just found this, but it says it was created in march, 2007 so im not getting my hopes up

I know J.J. Abrams’ work and Damon Lindelof, who is his collaborator on Lost. Damon is just a total comic-book freak, and he loves the Dark Tower books. I trust those guys, and they have a lot on the ball. When they said they wanted to talk about doing this, I said, ‘You know what? Why don’t you buy the option on this and see what you can come up with.’ They asked, ‘How much do you want for an option?’ I said, ‘$19.’ (A key amount that comes up frequently in the books) And that’s what they paid me, and that’s where it is.”

“I said no to everybody until recently, because I didn’t think much of the chances of it being a good movie,” King told the crowd. “I mean, this is my life’s work, since the time I was 22 years old. It’s very important to me. Usually, with the other [books], I don’t give much of a shit. My attitude is, ‘Go make a movie, and if it’s good, that’s terrific, and if it’s bad, then it will go to the video stores and back shelves of Blockbuster, and I still get royalties on the book.’”

He's talking about the chance of making a dark tower movie.
The scource is here (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/26/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/).

Brainslinger
08-27-2008, 08:46 AM
If you guys had a choice woiuld you prefer to see a DT adaptation as animation or live action? On the same note, would you rather see a Lord of the Rings style succession of feature films or a The Stand style television mini-series? (assuming it would be on HBO or something for the violence and blood-shed)

I'm unsure I'd want it adapted to screen, but if it was, I'd certainly prefer the live action, but I'd accept a decent animation.

As for whether it should be a succession of films or a Stand style mini-series....

Kind of torn. The feature films have the budget, and that's no bad thing, particularly where effects are concerned. But I like the idea of tuning in each week for the next episode rather than waiting over a year or two for the next feature to come out.

I actually think decent effects are probably doable for much of the series. There are large swathes of time where very little in way of effects is required at all... but then you get sequences like the doorway monster and Mordred shape-shifting, where a big budget would be handy. Mini series, with a movieish budget? Hee hee.

Have to admit though, Roland strolling across the desert on a panoramic cinema screen would look awesome (to borrow an over-used American term.)

razz
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
a DECENT animation? if they put The Dark Tower on any screen, it better be fucking FANTASTIC!

Empath of the White
08-28-2008, 07:18 AM
I just found this, but it says it was created in march, 2007 so im not getting my hopes up

I know J.J. Abrams’ work and Damon Lindelof, who is his collaborator on Lost. Damon is just a total comic-book freak, and he loves the Dark Tower books. I trust those guys, and they have a lot on the ball. When they said they wanted to talk about doing this, I said, ‘You know what? Why don’t you buy the option on this and see what you can come up with.’ They asked, ‘How much do you want for an option?’ I said, ‘$19.’ (A key amount that comes up frequently in the books) And that’s what they paid me, and that’s where it is.”

“I said no to everybody until recently, because I didn’t think much of the chances of it being a good movie,” King told the crowd. “I mean, this is my life’s work, since the time I was 22 years old. It’s very important to me. Usually, with the other [books], I don’t give much of a shit. My attitude is, ‘Go make a movie, and if it’s good, that’s terrific, and if it’s bad, then it will go to the video stores and back shelves of Blockbuster, and I still get royalties on the book.’”

He's talking about the chance of making a dark tower movie.
The scource is here (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/26/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/).

The walk-in phenomenon would make some great viral marketing for the last few movies. As for a cartoon, HBO adapted Spawn back in '98 I believe. And it wasn't like the Smurfs. Unless there's an episode of the Smurfs in a vault somewhere filled with gratuitous amounts of blood, dismembered body parts, and demons. I'd very much prefer a big screen adaption over a live action television series just so things like the Doorman and the other entities in the series would have more realistic effects. We just need someone with a Peter Jackson-like love of this series, and it sounds like JJ is the man.

Plus studios love putting out Director's Cuts after the original DVD release. Ans many of King's works seem well-suited to Director's Cuts.

Matt
09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
This was posted about the movie recently, kind of interesting.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/02/damon-lindelof-updates-the-dark-tower/

mae
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't think this needs seven feature films. I am almost done with The Wolves of the Calla, and all the preceding action could very well fit into three films. I would prefer a miniseries on HBO.

fernandito
09-17-2008, 08:46 AM
There's no way that the 7 movie idea could work out, for all the reasons discussed countless times before.

Aaron
09-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree with Lindelof that seven films is the way to go. A television series wouldnt have the budget to do it right. It would look cheesy and the effects would be terrible. And if it did get the budget, it would probably still get canned early, the way that Carnivale did due its huge costs. Like he said in his quote, the key is to make the first film so awesome that it draws people in and makes them want to see six more movies. Harry Potter is going the seven film route, and I am positive that DT can do the same. These are great stories, great volumes. With good writing, directing, and acting I could see The Gunslinger being an Oscar-worthy film. The shit with Jake and Roland--their dynamic--is dramatic movie gold.

The only problem is aging of characters, but even that can be dealt with. You just need creative producers.

fernandito
09-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Harry Potter got that 7 movie treatment because of the global craze that comes attached to the name, the DT is not as well known as the HP series. The novels were already well known before the movies came out, and that's why they did so good at the box office. Not only that, I don't think that the Gunslinger and DotT have enough content to warrant one movie each.

jayson
09-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree with you Aaron.

Personally, I don't see how it could be done adequately in less than six films.

The Gunslinger, Drawing, Waste Lands, W&G and Wolves would all have to be their own individual films. There is simply too much story in each of those to condense them into anything other than five films. Anyone who may disagree, please tell me what specifically you would cut out of any of these to make less films. I don't see what could be cut without doing serious damage to the overall story and/or the character development, and if this thing isn't character-driven, it's not being done correctly. There's a LOT more than action at play in these books.

I could see where S.o.S. wouldn't have to be it's own feature film, but only if you combined it with The Dark Tower as one super long finale, which is not really feasible as it would be about 6 hours long, so we are back to seven films.

As far as the question of "will people go see seven films"? I have two answers... First, if each one is intriguing, people will want to see the next one. Secondly, the general film-going public constantly shells out money to go see endless sequels that never should have even been made in the first place, so why on Earth wouldn't they see the next installment of a REAL story?

fernandito
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I highly doubt any studio or production company would agree to go forward with 7 or 6 films, it's too much of a risk, and heres why : The DT isn't as commercially marketable as the Harry Potter films; the reason that the latter got the seven film treatment is because people of all ages can go to the theatres and enjoy the movies. You can take your kids, your spouse, hell, even your grandparents. The nature of the story lends itself to mass appeal. The DT series, on the other hand, is gritty, dark in tone, violent. What will adults think when they see that trailer of the first movie? Since the first trailer reel needs to be powerful and enticing, they need to show some of the actions scenes, agreed? "Let's take little Alex to see that next week!"... obviously not. What would the rating for a DT movie be? Rated PG-13? Rated R? If the latter, then you already lose a large portion of your audience (People under 18 who want to get into the movie but can't because of adult supervision) , whicih is something that the studios take into consideration before hand. Not to mention that movies based on King novels have a less than favorable reputation. Even though I want there to be seven films (if they make them at all), I just don't it's commercially or artistically possible for that to happen.

jayson
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
...I just don't it's commercially or artistically possible for that to happen.

I can see where it may not be commercially appealing to a studio from the points you made in your post, which I pretty much agree with.

As for artistically possible, I still don't see why not. I don't see how it's artistically possible to do it as less than seven and still do it acceptably.

fernandito
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
The only doubt in my mind is the first two films, I still think those two can be squeezed into one movie. You do have a point though, the rest of the novels have too much content to be able to combine with the other novels.

All this discussion makes me want to re read the series. :)

jayson
09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I think the first one could be long enough to be a short feature film. Remember, with a good enough story and properly-shot action, a film doesn't have to be long to be good. How long was Il Mariachi, something like 81 minutes I believe.

Drawing of the Three I see as being among the easiest to adapt into a full length movie. It's already perfectly laid out in a three-act structure complete with the stuff on the beach as interstitial scenes between each act. If you showed enough Eddie & Henry stuff and enough of when Odetta was Detta surely there is enough for a full-length feature.

Jackie
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Letti i agree with you some what. Movies/Mini series do usually have a way of ruing good books/book series. But i still think it would be interesting. I just hope that they would take the time to make everything perfect, because we all know that Sai Kings movies aren't always the best [and he had said that himself] I think it would be a good mini series since it was so long, but i also could see it being a great movie series. And for the larger books [WaG, WotC, TDT] they could divide into two movies. It would keep the DT magic going a little bit longer :) I would also love to see a DT Minni series/Movie[s] because as we all know Sai King is known for making camio appearances and I'm curious to see what part he would put himself as.

fernandito
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
^^

Agreed on TDotT.

I think the hardest one to adapt would be Wizard & Glass. As others have mentioned, if they simply revert back to what happened (i.e Roland's telling of the events) it would slow down the pace of the movie considerably and might even lose/disinterest members of the audience who have yet to read the books...but it can't be shown in flashbacks, as others have suggested, because there is just way too much information and it is such an important part of the overall story to treat it in such a way.

:orely:

jayson
09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I think the hardest one to adapt would be Wizard & Glass. As others have mentioned, if they simply revert back to what happened (i.e Roland's telling of the events) it would slow down the pace of the movie considerably and might even lose/disinterest members of the audience who have yet to read the books...but it can't be shown in flashbacks, as others have suggested, because there is just way too much information and it is such an important part of the overall story to treat it in such a way.

I think if the so-called "flashback" (which to me is actually the main story of W&G) were handled as the main story it would work just fine. The key is to work the beginning (the end of the Blaine ride) and the end (the Green Palace) in smoothly. If they bracket the main story of Mejis, they are on the right track. If they constantly go back and forth, I agree, they will lose people's interest. The key is telling the Mejis story uninterrupted.

mae
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I still say the best route to go is an HBO miniseries (although it wouldn't really be very mini). Have you guys seen any of their more recent miniseries, like John Adams or Generation Kill? They're like long long long theatrical feature films. Nothing cheesy about them. I can see The Dark Tower miniseries being about nineteen episodes long, with each episode being about 1:15-1:30 in length. Since it's all shot in advance, there would be none of the cancelling.

kymkyhgq
09-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I still say the best route to go is an HBO miniseries... I can see The Dark Tower miniseries being about nineteen episodes long... Since it's all shot in advance, there would be none of the cancelling.

That's how I envisioned it would work the best. The novels are set up with great breaking points that could easily fill an hour.

Ep 1: The Gunslinger (Tull)
Ep 2: The Way Station
Ep 3: The Oracle/Slow Mutants/M.I.B.
Ep 4:The Prisoner
Ep 5: The Lady of Shadows
Ep 6: The Pusher
Ep 7: Jake
Ep 8: Lud
Ep 9: Riddles
Ep 10: Susan
Ep 11: Come Reap
Ep 12: All God's Chillun Got Shoes
Ep 13: Roont/Todash
Ep 14: Telling Tales
Ep 15: The Wolves
Ep 16: Song of Susannah pt 1
Ep 17: Song of Susannah pt 2
Ep 18: The Little Red King
Ep 19: Blue Heaven
Ep 20: In This Haze of Green and Gold
Ep 21: The White Lands of Empathica
Ep 22: The Scarlet Fields of Can'-Ka No Rey

Though I'm sure there's some way they can smush that into 19 eps. Because that would be great.
22 eps makes a standard TV season (though maybe not an HBO season)

Mr. Clean
09-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Even though the books themselves are laden with flashbacks, I believe that this would be a tiresome gimmick after a while in the movie/tv series. I believe that it would be much more likely that J.J. Abrahms would take on the earlier years of Roland Deschain and his time in Gilead. This would be an interesting aspect not yet fully realized by Mr. King in which he could contribute new material or ideas as well (as he is already doing with the comic books). There are many gaps in which we do not know the full details of his life in Gilead. Only chosen moments which fit into the telling of the novels.

A television mini-series could tell the events of Wizard and Glass (and more) and the movies could continue from there with the novels after a wider audience was gained. The popularity of the comic books as an independant story line from the books themselves points to this being the most likely course of action. Think of the comics as a test pilot for interest among fans. Many younger (teenage) readers are picking up on the Gunslinger series and going back to read the novels that started it all as well.

The love story and action in Wizard and Glass and other short stories points to the fact that the series is ripe for an amazingly done television mini-series. Something that J.J. Abrahms could take the helm on easily. He has already proven that he is more than capable of doing so. If Abrahms doesn't direct, he could very likely produce the series with someone else guided by him as director in the movies.

As far as Jake and his age throughout the books, much of that can be interpreted or adjusted in the scripts to fit. Things won't fit perfectly as they do in the books. That is why books are the perfect medium, you can do anything! But, they will find a way to make it work. Wether it's writing Jake's age difference into the script, or filming him all at once (a less likely scenario).

Either way, I believe that this is the one story of King's that will be done right.

Brice
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
The biggest obstacle I see is if the movie WERE done faithfully to the book I don't believe the masses would be too receptive to a film that really never has true resolution. What I'd really like to see (if they must do a film at all) is another of Roland's loops...possibly one where he doesn't have to loop again and again. I think really all the logistical problems of doing a seven movie series wouldn't really be a problem. I can think of ways around them. I have confidence a director such as Abrahms would have little problem doing so.

Patrick
09-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Brice, mark your spoilers! :panic:

Brice
09-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Sorry! Thanks for fixing it.

alinda
09-21-2008, 04:42 AM
welcome :D

RandoofGilead
09-21-2008, 05:30 AM
All of you make very valid points and a good discussion. I would love to see it adapted to a film (now that I've read the story first). I think with Marvel plotting out the comics, it starts as a good source to start from.

Who knows. Maybe with how The Long Road and the new series is shaping up, it could be phased into the story as part of a long mini-series. It may or may not work but I think starting how the comics did may work better for a "flow".

Just my 2 cents. :)

Okay...1 1/2 cents.

D-Bo
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I would rather see MacFarlane ala Spawn than Taratovsky ala Clone Wars if the DT were ever animated.

Jackie
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Hmm DT cartoon, I'm not to sure about this.....I'd have to wait to see it before i really pass judgment on it. Either way i hope they don't screw it up like WB [now kids13 or some bullshit] did with spiderman [screwed up the whole story of spiderman and everything!!!! :onfire:

Mr. Clean
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Who knows. Maybe with how The Long Road and the new series is shaping up, it could be phased into the story as part of a long mini-series. It may or may not work but I think starting how the comics did may work better for a "flow".

If some of you haven't noticed, you'd be blind not to, Hollywood has run out of ideas for the most part. They're recycling a lot of stuff made in comic books, partially because the plotting, storyboards, etc. are almost already done for them! All they have to do is sort of cut and paste and bingo! The sales pitch to the studios is half way over and they have already started a fan base to justify getting the money to do the film. Unfortunately, this technique is also how a lot of people get money for poorly done films as well. The studios are simply looking at the format: comic book+fanbase+new ideas=$$$! Or so they hope.

The same goes for the Dark Tower comics. Think of them as story boards for the TV show/movie. That combined with Stephen King behind the project and J. J. Abrahms in talks... this will see the light of day eventually.

BillyxRansom
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree with Lindelof that seven films is the way to go. A television series wouldnt have the budget to do it right. It would look cheesy and the effects would be terrible. And if it did get the budget, it would probably still get canned early, the way that Carnivale did due its huge costs. Like he said in his quote, the key is to make the first film so awesome that it draws people in and makes them want to see six more movies. Harry Potter is going the seven film route, and I am positive that DT can do the same. These are great stories, great volumes. With good writing, directing, and acting I could see The Gunslinger being an Oscar-worthy film. The shit with Jake and Roland--their dynamic--is dramatic movie gold.

The only problem is aging of characters, but even that can be dealt with. You just need creative producers.

I agree with every single word of this post.
What about the kid who played Anakin Skywalker? Is he too old by now?

kymkyhgq
09-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Way too old... too bad, a few years ago he'd have fit in with my ideal "Jake" look.

This is taken from 2005... http://albums.mouseplanet.com/WDWMGMProcessed/jake_lloyd_bennett_050625.jpg

Aaron
09-25-2008, 06:50 AM
One problem that I think viewers would have is that W&G is such an abrupt and prolonged departure from the main story--which everyone is very invested in at the end of Waste Lands. An idea that I had would be to do the flashback sequence of W&G as a stand alone movie to start things off. Start with Roland's test and go from there. Essentially, follow the path drawn by The Gunslinger Born. This would introduce the reader to the foundations of King's mythology and would endear readers to the character of Roland. Call it volume four, if you want to go the Star Wars route.

Then have The Gunslinger be the second film released and proceed through The Waste Lands. Then the studio could do a rerelease of W&G, with all of the original story there, as well as the additions of the Blaine storyline's resolution at the beginning, and the face off with Flagg at the Emerald palace at the end. This would make it commercially beneficial, and the rerelease could precede WotC's release by just a few months, to stir interest again.

Another reason that I think this method would be beneficial is that W&G is a story that could stand alone if it had to. It has all of the elements of a hit film, and could create the fan fare needed to propel the series into enough of a pop status to make a seven film series financially feasible.

cozener
09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
I'd actually prefer an animated DT. I think it would be the best way to depict it and, as was pointed out above, it won't burn any particular actor's onto a characters face. This point is close to me because this happened to me with Dune. I saw David Lynch's movie before I read the books and I had a very hard time shaking those images. In fact, the actors that played Paul and Jessica, Mohiam, and Yueh were all so well cast that I can't think of the characters looking any other way when I'm reading Dune. I don't think this is a good thing.

As far as who should direct it? Dunno. But as far as animation goes, I do like what Peter Chung did for Aeon Flux. That style of animation would work well for this, at least as far as how the people themselves look.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 05:36 AM
I don't agree, per se. I think that cartoons (especially when well-done) burn an image as easily as a live actor might...

My reasons for perferring live action of cartoon is simple and selfish--I never got into those more adult action oriented cartoons. It's just not a medium that appeals to me. And for that reason, I'd like to see it done live if at all. Also, I think the movie/mini-series/whatever it may turn out to be would probably reach a wider audience if it were live action.

I think any one of us would wath it regardless, because of our (obvious) adoration for the series, but a cartoon movie/series may keep some people from being introduced to it.

Just my 2 cents.

Brice
09-26-2008, 05:39 AM
I think any one of us would wath it regardless, because of our (obvious) adoration for the series,

I probably wouldn't watch it at all, whether it's live or a cartoon...because of my adoration for the series. :)

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Okay Mr. Exception-to-the-Rule. :P

I guess I should have said *many* of us would watch it...and some of us would be purists and not care for it regardlessof how it was done.

Brice
09-26-2008, 05:48 AM
:lol: I just fear I'd have to hunt down and kill whoever made it it they got one single thing wrong.

jayson
09-26-2008, 05:49 AM
I'd actually prefer an animated DT. I think it would be the best way to depict it and, as was pointed out above, it won't burn any particular actor's onto a characters face.

I know exactly what you're saying Coz. I have similar issues with The Stand miniseries. It was not until the comic book came out this month that I have finally been able to shake the images of Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald as Stu & Frannie. The whole thing was poorly cast and burned itself into my brain. An animated version of DT would work far better for me than a live-action one.

Then again, after my experience with LotR, I may just not watch it at all if it were to happen. I have a vivid enough imagination and have seen DT in my head for years. I prefer that version.

I'll just hangout with Brice and make fun of it.

Brice
09-26-2008, 05:54 AM
:D

cozener
09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't agree, per se. How dare you!?

I think that cartoons (especially when well-done) burn an image as easily as a live actor might... Obviously, you're mistaken.

My reasons for perferring live action of cartoon... Don't matter because you're wrong and I'm right.

I think any one of us would wath it regardless. I've never wathed anything in my life I deeply resent the accusation.

I suggest you go sit in the corner and rethink your perspective and how bad of a person you are. Shame on you.

Patrick
09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree with your general ideas, Aaron, in terms of a viable order in which to tell the stories. If you are talking about an initial movie and then a TV series, it works fine and is a great idea. (If you are talking about a series of movies, I don't think you could get away with a movie having a cliffhanger like at the end of The Wastelands. I think that you would need to wrap up that particular storyline within the movie in which it starts.)

Reverend Brimmstone
09-27-2008, 07:33 PM
As for who would play Roland,Gary Cole seems beyond perfect to me.
He resembles Sai King quite a bit,I think,which is important for the character.

Yes,I realise he was Mike Brady and Ricky Bobby's Dad,I don't think i have to mention Bill Lumberg.Yeah,Um,I'm going to go ahead and ask you to agree to look past that.But Hey,He was Birdman!

I started reading The Dark Tower Series around the time Wanted(the TV show) came about and was subsequently cancelled a few eps. later.I never got to see a single episode,by the way.

Anyway,that's how i became aware of Gary Cole,as a Gun-slinging bad-ass in the advertisements,so my brain assimilated him into the role and it stuck from then on ,every time i read The Series.

Also,the Character's name was Lt. Conrad ROSE.
Yeah,kind of seemed like a sign or sigul(do ya) to me.
(Gary Cole has 19 pics on his IMDB page,also*squeak*)

Patrick
09-27-2008, 07:53 PM
It took me a minute to realize that you were not talking about Gary Coleman.

:doh:

Tatts4Life
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
It took me a minute to realize that you were not talking about Gary Coleman.

:doh:

LOL The actor gets that a lot.

Reverend Brimmstone
09-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Well,to be fair,I'm sure they could find a part for Lil' Arnold somewhere in the Algul Siento scenes.

On another note,you think Emil Hirsch is too old to play Roland in Mejis?

turtlex
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Gosh, I hope they never make a DT movie... but, being as we are a visual kind of people, I did just post several pictures in the "Who Would You Cast" movie thread.

Dave!
10-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I am split on the idea, if I may add. I know that those of us who have read the entire series at least once have our own mental film that took place as the writing unfolded before us. However, there are a lot of people, and I mean A LOT that do not get into SK's work. There are only two people I personally know in my day to day/friends/family/whoever who have even read a novel by Sai King. When they come to the house and see my case full of mostly hardbacks (17 novels all told, two of which are paperback. Yeah, I know. I need two more to make it a 19) they think I am some Kingfreak that they do not understand. No, just a big fan of the man's work and brilliance. But I digress.
Anyway, most people I know could get into a well-made SK adaptation. Unfortunately a few of my friends have seen a few of the movies made and have a bad taste in their mouths for a poorly made movie=shitty writing line of thinking. I would like to see it, but well done, and in a series (Star Wars) type situation. No Tommyknockers with Traci Lords toting some laser/lipstick. No Movies with Bronson Pinchot overacting. No made-for-TV, watered down stuff. So where the split decision comes in is that I think we all have our own mental pictures of the books, and a movie could either enhance. change, or ruin those for each individual. I tend to lean more, and quite a bit more to the "YES" vote on the movie, but it has to be done right. I think Sai King could gain a fanbase and a rreader following beyond his own imagination if it succeeds.

turtlex
10-18-2008, 11:14 AM
What Chu Talkin' Bout Roland ?!?

http://www.repmanblog.com/photos/uncategorized/gary_coleman1.jpg

Merlin1958
10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
One problem that I think viewers would have is that W&G is such an abrupt and prolonged departure from the main story--which everyone is very invested in at the end of Waste Lands. An idea that I had would be to do the flashback sequence of W&G as a stand alone movie to start things off. Start with Roland's test and go from there. Essentially, follow the path drawn by The Gunslinger Born. This would introduce the reader to the foundations of King's mythology and would endear readers to the character of Roland. Call it volume four, if you want to go the Star Wars route.

Then have The Gunslinger be the second film released and proceed through The Waste Lands. Then the studio could do a rerelease of W&G, with all of the original story there, as well as the additions of the Blaine storyline's resolution at the beginning, and the face off with Flagg at the Emerald palace at the end. This would make it commercially beneficial, and the rerelease could precede WotC's release by just a few months, to stir interest again.

Another reason that I think this method would be beneficial is that W&G is a story that could stand alone if it had to. It has all of the elements of a hit film, and could create the fan fare needed to propel the series into enough of a pop status to make a seven film series financially feasible.

I read a few of your other posts on the subject and I have to say, You got some really good points. You should be a Director (nod to your status LOL) or something. Seriously good thoughts. When I read this post I thought I might add that perhaps they could take a cue from Peter Jackson, with regard to the more drawn out portions of W&G. First, you know they are going to edit the entire story to a cretain degree (they always do) but, Jackson manged to pull in the more petinent points of past story lines in LOTR, IMHO very nicely. I would think something similar could work hear too. Then instead of a re-release of W&G they would have another entire series to draw on if the series is even half as successful as LOTR. I mean they are now doing the Hobbit which is technically ass-backwards but, should work anyway. I'm currently re-reading W&G and really if you take a hard look (as a screenwriter will do I'm sure) you could probably pull in the essential story elements in a what? 10-12 min flashback sequence. Of course if its done write. You couple that with an opening sequence like in Fellowship and maybe one other it could work.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Merlin1958
10-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Referencing an earlier post regarding the comic books and Hollywood, I wonder if they have ever gotten around to crunching the numbers between copies of the novels that were sold and copies of the comics? You know to try to gauge how much new interest has/may have been generated. Would be interesting to know. Of course they would have to make guess-timates regarding fans, collectors etc, but still I'm sure you could get some bean-counter to work out a formula.

And as was previously said......Hollywood is seriously running out of ideas (bewitched and H20 come to mind!!)

Bob26003
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
BIG budget, top notch FX, not leaving stuff out, GREAT actors.........

Man I can't even think who would be capable of doing Roland. Daniel Day Lewis maybe?

This would be a BIG project with a BIG budget if any type of justice was to be did.

Darkthoughts
10-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Daniel Day Lewis - that is an awesome shout!! I just watched In The Name Of The Father for the gazillionth time last night, he could do any part justice.

iamjacksgoat
11-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I think a Dark Tower movie would be amazing, though I hope it wouldn't end up like most other adaptations of King's books. I'd love to see how Gilead is portrayed, as well as Blaine the train.

Diggity Of The Eld
11-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I hope Abrams does it as a series on HBO. I would feel great about that. I want HBO to do a Song of Ice and Fire series too. :rose: :key: :)

mae
11-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I hope Abrams does it as a series on HBO. I would feel great about that. I want HBO to do a Song of Ice and Fire series too. :rose: :key: :)

Well one of those two things has happened:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ie9098baec9eb95cdf64383a225032180

BillyxRansom
11-15-2008, 05:20 PM
what about Josh Brolin for Roland? (HA! it rhymes, even. :| wow..)

I'm sure that's been said at least once, though.

Roland Eld
11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Some one please give a link to the HBO Dark tower cartoon:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

gsvec
11-15-2008, 06:37 PM
There's no link to give ya, say sorry. Old thread that was pure rumor as far as I know.

John_and_Yoko
11-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I can't imagine anything of Stephen King's being animated (with the possible exception of The Eyes of the Dragon).

Having said that, however, just because of the nature of the story, I fear that something would have to be sacrificed in order to do it live-action (in particular I'm thinking of Jake Chambers--how could they avoid him growing up over the course of SEVEN INSTALLMENTS? And I DON'T want more than one actor playing him, if it can be helped....).

That being said, however, I dislike the idea of this story in particular being animated, and it would indeed have to be PHENOMENAL quality (something like the Marvel comics brought to life without any simplification, say) before I'd accept it that way.

In sum, there seems to be no ideal way to adapt this--I just hope they do it justice, however they do it....

jayson
11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I fear that something would have to be sacrificed in order to do it live-action (in particular I'm thinking of Jake Chambers--how could they avoid him growing up over the course of SEVEN INSTALLMENTS? And I DON'T want more than one actor playing him, if it can be helped....).

Easily done. It's a matter of prioritizing the shooting schedule to get all of Jake's scenes in the can first. However big this project will be, it won't take more than one year to shoot every scene with Jake in it and thus, problem solved.

John_and_Yoko
11-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I fear that something would have to be sacrificed in order to do it live-action (in particular I'm thinking of Jake Chambers--how could they avoid him growing up over the course of SEVEN INSTALLMENTS? And I DON'T want more than one actor playing him, if it can be helped....).

Easily done. It's a matter of prioritizing the shooting schedule to get all of Jake's scenes in the can first. However big this project will be, it won't take more than one year to shoot every scene with Jake in it and thus, problem solved.

I don't know, but if that's true then I DEFINITELY would want to see this particular story be live-action, preferably big-budget live action so the effects don't look ridiculous....

Jackie
11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to remember if HBO has done any other animated series. I seem to recall a couple of late night things, but the names are not coming to me.

HBO has money, so if they commit to a DT animated ADULT series, I'd be very okay with it.

Also, I doubt Sai King would let anything bad happen with the series.

That's very true, the worst thign they could ever do to TDT would be to turn it into a 'kid friendly' cartoon series.:scared:

mystima
11-15-2008, 08:22 PM
would prefer an animated version of the movie but done like the ani-matrix short "Final Flight of the Osirus" that was some good animation...the characters looked real right down to the goosebumps on the skin...or the animation that they did for "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" movie.

mystima
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0VTvpwpLk

hope this works if not will try again later...but this kinda animation could be cool

Lady_Macbeth
11-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Hmm DT cartoon, I'm not to sure about this.....I'd have to wait to see it before i really pass judgment on it. Either way i hope they don't screw it up like WB [now kids13 or some bullshit] did with spiderman [screwed up the whole story of spiderman and everything!!!!

HBO is nothing like kids13, lol. Believe me, if you ever turn on HBO at night, it's anything but family friendly. Seriously, HBO is the only channel that plays any sort of decent programs nowadays, imo.

I sort of like the prospect of a DT cartoon, that is, if they get the animation right and don't settle for cheap CGI, like so many other companies are doing *ahem* Disney *ahem*. But, HBO usually does things right, and you know if it's on there nothing will be censored or toned down, so we'll see how this turns out.

Brice
11-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I think the only problem with HBO really is it'll end with something like Mordred eating Flagg and then HBO will cancel the series.

Aaron
11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, after their cancellations of Carnivale and Deadwood, HBO cannot be trusted with this series.

And I really liked that video, Mystima. I could totally see the DT being done in a similar style. It is animated while still cinematic. What was it, by the way? I am intrigued.

mystima
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, after their cancellations of Carnivale and Deadwood, HBO cannot be trusted with this series.

And I really liked that video, Mystima. I could totally see the DT being done in a similar style. It is animated while still cinematic. What was it, by the way? I am intrigued.

Its from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. It was a movie the creators of the Final Fantasy made a few years ago...it is alot better than the first one i can tell ya that!!!

Aaron
11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Well it certainly looked a lot better than Spirits Within. :lol:

mystima
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM
yes it is...was going to watch it the other night and got bored with it the first 10 minutes....had to change movies...lol:)

Lord_Vertigo
11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Flagg/Walter/etc. - James Nesbitt

Roland - Hugh Laurie, or Christian Bale in fifteen years

Hans Zimmer or Patrick Doyle for the music.

Tank
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Apparently there is a Dark Tower indie film being made based on the Browning poem rather than the King series. Here's some links about it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334107/
http://fangoriaonline.com/home/news/9-film-news/688-new-dark-tower-movie-to-roll-soon.html

I get the feeling this is going to suck big time.

RUBE
12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
If this happens then it will really kill any chance of a Dark Tower movie based on King's work. What studio is going to fund a movie about a Dark Tower with a main hero named Roland if another just came out that also was about a Dark Tower with a main hero named Roland? It would be like they ripped them off to anyone who does not already know all about King's novels.

Tank
12-14-2008, 08:23 PM
If this happens then it will really kill any chance of a Dark Tower movie based on King's work. What studio is going to fund a movie about a Dark Tower with a main hero named Roland if another just came out that also was about a Dark Tower with a main hero named Roland? It would be like they ripped them off to anyone who does not already know all about King's novels.

I guess the good thing about this movie is it's such a small independent that it will most likely be a straight to DVD release and not have the financial backing to get it a big release with the chain stores such as Blockbuster and Family Video.

flaggwalkstheline
12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Im guessing It won't have gunslingers/ cowboys or any of sai kings creations, it'll probably be medieval based and very stream of consciousness

BillyxRansom
12-16-2008, 09:59 AM

I guess the good thing about this movie is it's such a small independent that it will most likely be a straight to DVD release and not have the financial backing to get it a big release with the chain stores such as Blockbuster and Family Video.

Also, who's to say they won't name the first movie The Gunslinger?

The other thing is that the Browning poem is way different from the novels. Completely different. If anything, if the Browning poem is turned into an indie film, let's say they name it "Dark Tower", OUR beloved series could be turned into movies, and they could still call it "The Dark Tower". Or vice versa. But either way, the makers of the movie adaptation of the King story would just call it by its designated book's title: "The Gunslinger".

JiMiTHiNG
12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I think TV would be the only format that could even come close to pulling this off. It would have to be a full blown series on subscription based cable IMHO. You could do one full season for each book and still leave loads out prob. And even if it was some of the best work ever done on TV and they get tons of stuff right..there would still be a lot missing.

razz
12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Daniel Day Lewis - that is an awesome shout!! I just watched In The Name Of The Father for the gazillionth time last night, he could do any part justice.could he play Jake? Or Susannah? :P

Beamer
12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I would like to see a Movie Series like the HP or LOTR type, big budget, great FX, GOOD STORY, GOOD ACTING... I love King...I love his books, and I see the movies... all I can say is I want a Shawshank or Green mile treatment to this or even stand by me...
dont get me wrong I love LT. Dan....and Molly was pretty in Pink....Dober could spell Moon, and Parker Lewis was a b!tch, I just think the Stand could have been so great and is was mediocre at best, if they mini-series this like the stand i will be pretty upset and dissapointed. This is his MO...this is the Magnus Opus this is the King Universe....So many of his Great works are tied to this series, so much of his work IS this series... They need to do Justice to the Gunslinger and make it worth watching...the fan base may not be as strong or solid yet for a 7 movie deal...but is sure would be nice....
I hope this doesn't get lost....

Beamer
12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Or...if they cant do a decent mini-series....

how about an actual Prime time Show....that would be worth watching, and they could easily get 100 episodes out of the 7 books....not to mention the graphic novels and ties to so many other novels written....

Darkthoughts
12-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Daniel Day Lewis - that is an awesome shout!! I just watched In The Name Of The Father for the gazillionth time last night, he could do any part justice.could he play Jake? Or Susannah? :P

No, but maybe Sylvia Pittston :D

Beamer
12-25-2008, 01:08 PM
So....who would your cast be?

Start with the Ka-Tet...

Roland:
Jake:
Eddie:
Susannah:
Oy: Andy Serkis hahaha
Cuthbert:
Alain:
Father Callahan:
Jamie De Curry:
Thomas Whitman:
Ted Brautigan:
Dinky:
Susan Delgado:
Sheemie:
CORT:
Steven Deschain (Rolands Popps)

Flagg:
Crimson King:
John Farson
Jack mort:
Rhea:
Eldred Jonas:
Roy Depape:
Clay Reynolds:
Coral Thorin:
MIA:
Mordred:
Richard Sayre
Enrico Balazaar:
Jack Andolini:
Dandelo
Tick Tock Man:
Pimli Prentiss:
Stuttering Bill: (Robot...voice?)
Blaine (Voice)
Gasher :

Patrick Danville:
Calvin Tower
Hax
Farmer Brown
Benny Sightman
Marten-(Walter/Flagg)
Gabrielle Deschain (the Momma)
Henry Dean

jayson
12-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Beamer, check out this thread...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1845&highlight=dark+tower+movie+cast

It has many many suggestions about who should play which parts in a hypothetical DT movie. Looking fwd to hearing your suggestions as well. Welcome to the site. :)

Beamer
12-25-2008, 03:32 PM
thanks....

melliferal
01-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I think it would have to be some kind of miniseries. A several-seasons-long television show would not work, for the same reason than doing each book as a separate movie (released, say, a year apart) would not work: although the story of the Dark Tower jumps around all over time quite a bit, the actual business of the central ka-tet takes place over less than a year's time; whereas, the long-running show and the movies would take many years to produce. Perhaps not a problem for most actors and most of the roles, but consider that one of the main characters is eleven years old when the story starts and is still eleven years old at the end of it.

flaggwalkstheline
01-16-2009, 08:03 AM
I think it would have to be some kind of miniseries. A several-seasons-long television show would not work, for the same reason than doing each book as a separate movie (released, say, a year apart) would not work: although the story of the Dark Tower jumps around all over time quite a bit, the actual business of the central ka-tet takes place over less than a year's time; whereas, the long-running show and the movies would take many years to produce. Perhaps not a problem for most actors and most of the roles, but consider that one of the main characters is eleven years old when the story starts and is still eleven years old at the end of it.

um I thought that the ka-tet was running around for several years, I mean jake looks like an adolescent in the pics from DT7, I thought they were all at least 2 or 3 years older by the end...

melliferal
01-16-2009, 08:55 AM
um I thought that the ka-tet was running around for several years, I mean jake looks like an adolescent in the pics from DT7, I thought they were all at least 2 or 3 years older by the end...

I don't believe so... In DT5 when they meet the folks from the Calla, Suze thinks about Jake as "not yet in his teens" (the only reason I know this is because I'm reading that particular book lately). The rest of DT5 takes place over - what, a couple weeks? Then the entirety of DT6 spans one or two days, tops. I'm not sure exactly how much time it takes in DT7 from the Dixie Pig assault at the opening to the time Jake's fate is decided, but I don't think it's more than around a week and a half, if that.

Roland may have spent a long time riding around with Eddie and Suze in DT2 and DT3 before drawing Jake - maybe even a couple of years - but when they drew Jake, he was eleven again.

Matt
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I totally agree with that, I think the part with Jake could be ascribed to under a year.

Drawing
LUD
Calla
Dixie Pig
Road in Maine :cry:

fernandito
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/885149/the-dark-tower/videos/abrams_tower_042809.html

The interview is only 17 seconds long, but those 17 seconds pack quite a punch.

Thoughts? :)

sarah
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
HOLY HELL BATMAN!!!

fernandito
04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
No kiddin'! :lol:

It's just what I've been waiting for, to actually HEAR Abrams say that he's getting ready to start the project, and not just read about it.

/fanboyish sigh

sarah
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
*girlgazam* MEGA!

sarajean
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
*girlgazam* MEGA!
:lol: it took me a second to figure out what you meant here.

*holds thumbs for a decent outcome*

sarah
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
:rofl:

Girlystevedave
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm excited/terrified. :unsure:

sarajean
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
as well you should be.

turtlex
04-29-2009, 02:39 AM
Okay... I can't get the bugging thing to load, probably my works firewall...

... anyone care to nutshell this for me, pretty please?!?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Okay... I can't get the bugging thing to load, probably my works firewall...

... anyone care to nutshell this for me, pretty please?!?

They will start the project when "Lost" finishes. (That could be a long time off)

turtlex
04-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Mr.Trick Rabbit !! Thank you kind sir.

Actually, Lost has a fixed end in sight after next season, yes?

Brice
04-29-2009, 04:30 AM
I thought so.

As much as I love LOST I still have no interest in anyone making this and I doubt I'll watch it. Maybe I'll change my mind. I don't know.

turtlex
04-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Without a doubt I will/would go see a DT movie.

But I'm with the : excited/terrified contingent.

Brice
04-29-2009, 04:40 AM
I am firmly in the hoping before it's too late he realizes that he can't do it justice contingent.

Kidd Ikarus
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
I love LOST, probably the best TV show ever made (IMO) but for this . . . it couldn't end fast enough!

Tatts4Life
04-29-2009, 05:40 AM
During an interview with the Executive Producers of Lost Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof they ask them about the Dark tower movie.

Here is what they had to say

Alex: Any Dark Tower updates?

Damon: I think that we're just so focused on finishing Lost that it's really hard to think about anything else. And the last thing we want to think about is how to adapt a seven book series of, you know, basically the writer who we admire the most and look up to most and has inspired our work the most, and do anything with that. I think that it's such a daunting task. We have a pretty daunting task in front of us ourselves, so, we're really just... It's easy to say “What are you guys going to do next?” and start working on that but I think Carlton and I are very singular in basically making sure this is not the time to start drifting off and working on other projects. It's going to be an enormously tricky job to bring Lost to a satisfying conclusion and that is all we're doing right now.
And any Fans of Lost can see the whole interview here
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lostpedia_Interview:Carlton_Cuse_%26_Damon_Lin delof

Tatts4Life
04-29-2009, 05:41 AM
looks like it's gonna be awhile before we get any good news about the movies.

valtr0n
04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
As long as JJ and Lindelof don't bring Furth on for a consultant I'd say we should wind up with a pretty great movie.

Josieweirdo
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Lost got a fixed ending, yes, I think we've gotten an actual number to how many episodes in how many seasons we're going for by now, it can probably be looked up somewhere.

The 'as soon as Lost is done'-concept is not new, but I'm very glad to hear about it later than around 2007 and 2008. I was worrying that perhaps the project would be dropped if the lack of new mentions showed they'd lost interest after Lost. This update shows its not the case :)

RUBE
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't get to excited (or worried) yet. If they aren't starting to work on the script until next year the movie will be a long time away.

RUBE
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Gem Theater with the other Dark Tower movie thread?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Cant wait.... Lost hasnt been doing much for me since they made it off the island anyhow.

DoctorDodge
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I would watch Lost myself if it wasn't planned to last for so long. Watched the first few episodes of season one, and i must admit, it was bloody good, but keeping up that quality for a 100 episodes? I'll catch up with it once it's finished, and once i know if the ending's good. Because, at the end of the day, that's what it boils down to: if the ending will be any good or not.

Must say that i LOVED Cloverfield, though. But, from what i've seen, is J.J. Abrams the right kind of filmmaker for this kind of film? To be honest, i'm not so sure. For TDT to work as a film, it needs someone who knows how to make a film truly CINEMATIC (if that makes any sense), and i don't think that Abrams is that kind of filmmaker. I hope the bastard proves me wrong, though!

valtr0n
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I think JJ has such a love for the source material that he'll do it justice. King wouldn't have sold the rights to him for $19 if King didn't genuinely believe Abrams had it in him to do it right.

However, I also believe it'll suffer from what shall henceforth be referred to as "Watchmen syndrome," which is when the director has such a love and respect for the material that they forget what a normal audience wants to see and caters specifically to a fan-base. I think the exact same thing will happen with the Dark Tower movies. They'll bomb at the box office but they'll end up being a great representation of the series.

turtlex
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I just keep thinking... but the time for an average movie is only 2 hours... the mangling they're going to have to do in order to fit anything in within a 2 hours timeframe... or even if you go big, like a 3 hour movie... still...

Kidd Ikarus
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I've had my doubts as well. It definitely needs to be done like the Harry Potter movies or the LotR trilogy and it especially needs someone with the dedication that Peter Jackson had for the latter . . . Maybe even Guillermo del Toro. I really like his visual style . . . but in the end, i don't really know who I'd want to direct this . . .

With J.J., although he is talented, i just have this really bad feeling that the cast for TDT will end up being a bunch of actors from the WB.

Chap
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
*jizz*
:blush:

Hopefully it will be several movies.
The amount they can cut from the books is pretty big though. alot of time/place is spent describing how something looks, or what something feels like etc.

valtr0n
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
It could definitely be done in a trilogy, with 3 to 3.5 hour running times for each movie.

But I'd say if anything we'll end up with a miniseries.

flaggwalkstheline
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
a miniseries allows for alot more character development than a film

valtr0n
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
A miniseries also runs the risk of cancellation if it's not popular, especially a miniseries like DT that would actually end up running the length of a regular TV series (20+ episodes).

Kidd Ikarus
04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't see it fitting into a trilogy. If they don't do a mini-series, there's gotta be a movie per book for it to work. And to be honest, money and earnings aside, I could care less about them dumbing it down for the mainstream audiences. Just look at what's happening to all the Marvel movies . . .

valtr0n
04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
They could easily do it in three movies.

The Gunslinger up to Jake being drawn in the Wastelands could be 3 hours, easy.

The Wastelands from that point to the end of Wizard and Glass could be 3.5 hours.

The Wolves of the Calla to The Dark Tower could be 3.5 hours.

I'm not saying everything would be in there... but it could be done. I very sincerely doubt anyone will ever greenlight a 7-part movie series about a series of books by Stephen King that isn't even all that popular with his mainstream audience. That's something beyond even Star Wars scale.

Be happy with a trilogy of super-long movies or be happy with a miniseries, because I can guarantee you that a 7-part feature film series will never occur.

Kidd Ikarus
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah I guess your right. Hollywood sucks.

Still Servant
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Frack me.

Chap
04-30-2009, 02:01 PM
If The Dark Tower had the hype of Harry Potter, they could easily make it into 7 movies, but it's not anywhere close to that in the mainstream, so I think we'll see 3 or 4 movies, or a miniseries.
Hopefully there will be hype though, once it gets rolling :excited:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I am not sure that seven seperate stories are told anyway. In particular, SoS does not deserve its own movie.

RUBE
04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I am sure that I read that Abrams wants to do this on the big screen. Based on the track record of other book series not as popular as Harry Potter adapted to movies (Narnia, His Dark Materials) and on really inventive tv shows with sci-fi elements (Twin Peaks, Firefly, numerous others), my guess is we will get one or two movies until the studio pulls out because it was not as successful as they hoped (even though it has higher sales than a number of other movies they put out the same year). Who knows, it may make three and end with the Ka-tet forever stuck on Blaine.

Then again maybe I am just bitter because I want to know if Coop ever got rid of Bob...

jayson
04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
...it especially needs someone with the dedication that Peter Jackson had for the latter . . .

Let's pray it's done with a bit more respect for the source material than PJ did with LotR.

Empath of the White
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
My biggest concern here is the studio trying to make the films PG-13 or something. I'm sorry, but the first movie would seem incredibly rushed if you tried including The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Wastelands. If done right, The Gunslinger could really make a big impression on the movie-going crowd. I sure as hell know it had me wondering what would happen next the first time I read the book. :rock:

jayson
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree Empath.

Drawing of the Three is already perfectly set up to fall right into a three-act structured film. If they condensed it, you'd lose a lot, especially Eddie's story.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I think it would be done best as a tv series. I think that there is enough material to fill up even 2 or 3 seasons. As a movie, I think too much would be lost to make me happy.

Either way, does SK play himself? He does pretty good with the cameo appearances, but I think he would be awful as a main character. haha

Empath of the White
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
That's interesting, why not though? I'd be okay with it. I always thought it'd be neat if as the first movie opened, we got King delivering that classic line: "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."

flaggwalkstheline
04-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I Pictured the opening credits to the gunslinger as follows:
trippy cartoon credits and figures (much like the opening of the good the bad and the ugly) float across a red and brown screen, while this song plays over them YouTube - Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'

Then as it ends we see "The Man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed" being typed on a piece of paper in an old fashioned type writer, sand swirls across the screen, making it dissapear, sai kings voice says the same phrase just as we see our first glimpse of Roland in the desert

obscurejude
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
The more I think I about it, the more I think that The Gunslinger should be the only movie.

Chap
04-30-2009, 07:01 PM
That's interesting, flagg. I always the pictured those words at the beginning as well, but the first image we'd see would be a twig (or animal skull?) being crushed under the foot of the man in black as he flees (runs, cape swirling behind him) across the desert in the scorching sun. Then the words "the man in black fled across the desert" fades in and fades out again as the screen fades to black - and in again. To Roland stepping over the same twig/skull and the words "and the gunslinger followed". And in the background we hear heavy breathing, strong winds and some Morricone-ish music :drool:

about that song: did the lyrics just say "ain't no Walters on this long and lonesome road?" :panic:

Kidd Ikarus
05-01-2009, 05:35 AM
My biggest concern here is the studio trying to make the films PG-13 or something. I'm sorry, but the first movie would seem incredibly rushed if you tried including The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Wastelands. If done right, The Gunslinger could really make a big impression on the movie-going crowd. I sure as hell know it had me wondering what would happen next the first time I read the book. :rock:

Thank you.

flaggwalkstheline
05-01-2009, 07:22 AM
That's interesting, flagg. I always the pictured those words at the beginning as well, but the first image we'd see would be a twig (or animal skull?) being crushed under the foot of the man in black as he flees (runs, cape swirling behind him) across the desert in the scorching sun. Then the words "the man in black fled across the desert" fades in and fades out again as the screen fades to black - and in again. To Roland stepping over the same twig/skull and the words "and the gunslinger followed". And in the background we hear heavy breathing, strong winds and some Morricone-ish music :drool:

about that song: did the lyrics just say "ain't no Walters on this long and lonesome road?" :panic:

actually I think he said "Aint No altars on this long and lonesome road"
But the most clear DT reference in it is "Its bright in the heavens and the wheels are flying by"

mae
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/01/jj-abrams-damon-lindelof-will-work-on-dark-tower-after-lost-is-over/

Just as there are whispers in the jungles of “Lost,” there have likewise been whispers in Hollywood that J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof — two of the masterminds behind the ABC television series — have been working on an adaptation of Stephen King’s classic novel series “The Dark Tower.” Now, those whispers are getting louder and clearer.

“Damon Lindelof and I talked to Mr. King,” Abrams told IGN while promoting the upcoming “Star Trek” film. “We got the rights for ['Dark Tower'] as a film. Damon is obviously still on ‘Lost’ and we’ve been working on ‘Star Trek’ together. As soon as ‘Lost’ is done, hopefully we’ll begin tackling that.”

For his part, Lindelof has also been speaking about the Stephen King adaptation. As “Lost” wraps up its penultimate season and gets ready for the sixth and final year of the show, Lindelof told Lostpedia that his entire creative energy is currently focused solely on the series.

“We’re just so focused on finishing ‘Lost’ that it’s really hard to think about anything else,” he said. “The last thing we want to think about is how to adapt a seven book series of, you know, basically the writer who we admire the most and look up to most and has inspired our work the most, and do anything with that. I think that it’s such a daunting task. We have a pretty daunting task in front of us ourselves [with the end of 'Lost'].”

Still, it’s not as if the “Lost” showrunner hasn’t spoken about “Dark Tower” in the past. He previously told AMC that he envisions the series on the same scope as Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

“There are always ‘Dark Tower’ conversations, but the figuring out of what this will look like as a movie has not begun,” said Lindelof. “If ‘The Dark Tower’ were in the right hands, I would love to see seven movies executed just right. But you have to get people to see the first one to get them to come and see the second one.”

fernandito
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey Pablo, thanks for hooking this up!

I created a similiar thread a few weeks ago, which I am going to merge with the General Dark Tower news thread. I'll throw this one into the mix as well.

I'll change the title to reflect the recent updates :)

Merlin1958
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow!! Way cool. As I watch Lost I can't help seeing traces of DT influences throughout the show.

Almost like Lost is a "warm-up" for Dark Tower

:rock:

candy
05-02-2009, 12:40 AM
oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy

i'm so excited........................................... .........
.................................................. ....................
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

sorry mind went blank there i was so excited

pathoftheturtle
05-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Wow!! Way cool. As I watch Lost I can't help seeing traces of DT influences throughout the show.

Almost like Lost is a "warm-up" for Dark Tower

:rock:They've actually said that it was pretty directly inspired by The Stand.

"...how to adapt a seven book series of, you know, basically the writer who we admire the most and look up to most and has inspired our work the most, and do anything with that. I think that it’s such a daunting task. We have a pretty daunting task in front of us ourselves [with the end of 'Lost'].” ...So does that mean [doing DT once "Lost" is over] is a daunting task or [finishing "Lost"] is a daunting task? Because I know that I would have been pretty daunted at trying to do Lost if I were a filmmaker. It's incredible... and really shows that they can handle big challenges. Still, I think that humble attitude toward King's work is appropriate... he rarely adapts well, and TDT would be hardest of all! Sounds pretty good... but right now I just can't wait to see Star Trek :D I'll be even more optimistic about this if it is really good.

...He previously told AMC that he envisions the series on the same scope as Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. ... “If ‘The Dark Tower’ were in the right hands, I would love to see seven movies executed just right. But you have to get people to see the first one to get them to come and see the second one.”
Hm. Well, if they did it that way, I'd say that scope was more like what's projected for "The Chronicles of Narnia."
Interesting point, though; I wonder how unfamiliar with the books and mainstream audiences would feel while walking out of The Gunslinger: The Movie?:o

Mad Man
05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
“Damon Lindelof and I talked to Mr. King,” Abrams told IGN while promoting the upcoming “Star Trek” film. “We got the rights for ['Dark Tower'] as a film.

darn :pullhair: they're going to screw everything up

candy
05-02-2009, 06:43 AM
you've got to give them a chance. so far anything abrahams has been involved with i have really enjoyed and while there is nothing to compare DT to i want to see before i judge. ;smileyfingerscrossed;

Mad Man
05-02-2009, 06:49 AM
There's no way it can be even nearly as good as the dark tower books are .... just impossible

candy
05-02-2009, 07:01 AM
your right, LoTR was not as good as the books, Narnia was not. but to non readers these where brilliant films. i am hoping that even though they can not be as good as the books they will still be good to us and great to non readers.

The Dt books are so much bigger than LoTR and anything else that has been adapted that it will need a loyal film maker and one thing that strikes me about all the interviews is that they do sound like fans of the books and they want to do this

i am just so hoping that they dont do a Stand or Tommyknockers as i cant even watch those.

Merlin1958
05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
You know in a way its unfair to compare a book to a movie. They are two different mediums altogether. They also have radically different demographics with regard to marketing and audience. That's why IMHO few movie adaptions of novels liveup to reader expectations. Especially with King. He puts in some much underlying mental character development and detail that it becomes virtually impossible to translate that properly into film. And when they try to be as exact as possible (as with a few TV adaptions) it loses something in the translation.

A good example is the Shining. I'm sure quite a few folks out there who've read the book did not thoroughly enjoy Kubricks version. But, even SK's version (which was only marginally better in my opinion and then only because it was truer to the story) was not anywhere near the masterpiece the book was. The Watchmen was another example where the director was trying to please a new audience and existing fans of the book and ended up with very mixed results.

Its tough. But as said above, Abrams & Co has done pretty well so far and I would say if it can be done right, they're the guys to do it.

flaggwalkstheline
05-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Abrams n co are the geniuses behind Lost
Lost incorporates quite a few DTesque ideas in it
I have confidence in them

candy
05-02-2009, 11:35 AM
so do i, inderstand the book vs film thing
but on a purely personal level i loved the shining, misery, green mile, etc. i love when a book is done in a loving way into a film as opposed to a mass market appeal

a non sk example would be golden compass - i loved the film and the books but allegedly this failed to light any fires in the usa? unsure if this was true but its a shame if it didnt

ok back on track, i for one am really looking forward to see what abrahams and co do withe the DT, if its crap, so be it i shall just go back to my books.

Erin
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
How exciting! I'd love to see a Dark Tower movie personally.

Of course any movie they did could never touch the books, i'm still excited. It's like with the Harry Potter movies. The books are so much better, but I take them with a grain of salt and still enjoy them.

mae
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I can't see this happening as seven feature films. Certainly not as they're currently divided into books. My preference would still be a long mini-series on a cable channel. Or a two-season cable show, since cable shows tend to have lower episode order (13 or so). But like I said some other time we were discussing this, a 19-episode mini-series (60-minute episodes, possibly some extended episodes) on HBO would just rock. But they seem to stress the word "film", so I guess that's not happening.

Also - and I don't know whether or not this is a spoiler thread, I guess it is - I have no idea how they would handle the whole metafiction aspect. Not just King himself, that's easy and I foresee a pretty fun scene when Roland and Eddie meet King in the 1970s, but the whole "we were written by this guy Stephen King" thing. It reads great on the page, but this is one thing that I think will suffer greatly in translation. I guess they could instead now slowly realize they're in a movie... but that would probably not work either. I dunno. In any case, I'd love to see any adaptation. I'm of the same opinion as King, that no matter how good or bad an adaptation is, there's still the book it came from on your shelf.

Bev Vincent
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Take with a huge grain of salt (http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a154951/bale-to-star-in-abramss-dark-tower.html)

Christian Bale's name has emerged in connection with J.J. Abrams's proposed Dark Tower movies.

According to Frost/Nixon actor Michael Sheen, Bale may be playing the role of antihero Roland Deschain in director Abrams's big screen adaptation of Stephen King's fantasy book series.

Asked by a Twitter follower what King character he would like to play on film, Sheen responded: "Roland of Gilead but I'm not right for it. I heard Christian Bale is playing it for J.J. Abrams."

Abrams recently revealed to IGN that it will be some time before he and Damon Lindelof begin work on the ambitious project.

"We got the rights for [Dark Tower] as a film," Abrams said. "Damon is obviously still on Lost and we've been working on Star Trek together. As soon as Lost is done, hopefully we'll begin tackling that."

The first Dark Tower novel follows Deschain, the last "gunslinger" of his kind, as he journeys across a desert in search of his adversary Randall Flagg.

mae
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Holy fucking hell. If they make him up just right he'd be perfect.

:panic:

Shall I start holding my breath now? :excited:

He already looked the part somewhat in his recent film 3:10 to Yuma:

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/T_310_to_Yuma/dan_evans__christian_bale__and_ben_wade__russell_c rowe__in_310_to_yuma.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow who'dda thunk Christian "My name is patrick bateman and I like to cut open girls and play with their insides" Bale would get to be batman, john connor and possibly roland
kewl

Merlin1958
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow who'dda thunk Christian "My name is patrick bateman and I like to cut open girls and play with their insides" Bale would get to be batman, john connor and possibly roland
kewl

Lets just pray the Lighting crew brings their "A" game to this shoot!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

fernandito
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I love Christian Bale as an actor, he's mah boy, but I don't think he's right for the role of Roland. :orely:

jayson
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
I was waiting for your take on this Feev. I haven't seen Bale in nearly as much as you have (having not seen the Batman films he's done) but it doesn't strike me as the best casting choice either. I suppose I'll reserve judgment until it's an official announcement.

mae
05-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Why wouldn't he be a good Roland?

movieman19
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Bale seems a bit too young for Roland BUT in some parts of the story that would work, other parts I think they would have to "dirty" him up, so to speak. But it has to mean something when I read that link and completely lost my shit. :panic:

Bale would give The Gungslinger that mainstream piece that the studio would want. Plus, given Bale's previous films, and JJ's experience, it might make other actors want to join.

It could work as a 7 part movie, possibly 6 if you move around SoS a bit. HOWEVER, JJ needs to focus on The Gunslinger, and The Gunslinger alone when starting. Having seen Star Trek I can attest to his abilities to make a niche item mainstream.

I mentioned this in the welcome thread but I'll bring it up here as well. It's not all about story and things like that in Hollywood unfortunately. If Star Trek is huge then JJ has a lot of power for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it's big enough for Paramount to greenlight a Dark Tower adaptation that is true to the source material.

I honestly think that in a couple years that The Gunslinger will be in production.

Bev Vincent
05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Bale seems a bit too young for Roland

I figure he'll be at least sixty before they shoot the first frame of film! :panic:

jayson
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
:lol:

By the time they shoot Bale could play John Cullum

turtlex
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Is Christian Bale really a draw though?!? People went to TDK because it's Batman, not because of Christian Bale.

I mean, he's a good actor, but not exactly considered Boffo Box Office. At least not yet. He's been in a lot of critical successes, but a lot were financial failures.

Erin
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Lets just pray the Lighting crew brings their "A" game to this shoot!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

:rofl: :lol: :rofl: :wtf:

turtlex
05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
:D Or he'll have their job!!!! :lol:

candy
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
christian bale is a fanastic actor, (anyone see the machinist - wow!!!)
and he puts heart and soul into his work which is what i want from anyone included in this project.

looking at that photo above, he would be a fab roland.

i am now far too excited, god darn it

Kidd Ikarus
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
christian bale is a fanastic actor, (anyone see the machinist - wow!!!)
and he puts heart and soul into his work which is what i want from anyone included in this project.

looking at that photo above, he would be a fab roland.

Amen. Say thankya.

flaggwalkstheline
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
since its going to be put together by abrams, do any of u guys think it might be possible that he would use some of the fantastic actors from Lost?
Particularly Michael Emerson (the dude who plays Ben) as the man in black himself?
the dude can act sinister, thats for sure

Kidd Ikarus
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe Terry O'Quinn as Pere Callahan or John Cullum?

flaggwalkstheline
05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
If they cant get clint eastwood to play cort then terry o'quinn would be a good pick

mae
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
They would definitely need to age Bale, but he could definitely pull it off. I'm not as pessimistic as Bev is. I think this should get greenlit as soon as Lost is done.

Kidd Ikarus
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Oooo that's good. He has just the right attitude for Cort I think. And if he bulked up a little he'd be perfect.

Hurley could be Zalman. Hahaha. J/k

Evangeline Lilly as Mia, maybe?

Bev Vincent
05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Actually, that was the optimistic me! They have a huge job ahead of them simply writing script(s), a job I don't think they'll undertake until 2010 at the earliest. I'd be surprised if they came up with a real plan for production before 2015. Funding is a big "if" these days--look how long it's taking to get Buick 8 off the ground, and they already have a script and a director. I'll be watching this from my comfy chair in a retirement home, me thinks!

flaggwalkstheline
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I had an interesting thought regarding the gunslinger film

the dark tower is not well known among people who are not constant readers
Most everyone has some familiarty with sai kings work but unless they are a devoted fan (like us) they are not most likely familiar with the dark tower
When the gunslinger movie comes out, the gift that sai king gave to us the constant reader is going to go mainstream and everyone will start getting into it
not that this is a completely bad thing but right now we are in a special place, our chunk of pop culture is like greenwich village before the tourists or star trek before the reruns of the cancelled original series started really attracting attention or lord of the rings circa 1960 JUST before it exploded into popular culture, we'll get to be like those people who said they were listening to grunge WAY before pearl jam
just something to think about:idea:

jayson
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, we can experience telling all the people who don't read the books until after they see the movies that "no, the movies are not better than the books" just like I got to do with LotR. Can't wait. :nope:

Unfound One
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Jayson, the minute I read Flagg's above post I KNEW you'd be the next poster. :lol:

turtlex
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, we can experience telling all the people who don't read the books until after they see the movies that "no, the movies are not better than the books" just like I got to do with LotR. Can't wait. :nope:

I can see it now -

Elijah Wood as Roland
Sean Astin as Jake
Orlando Bloom as Eddie
Liv Tyler as Susannah
Hugo Weaving as The Man In Black
Sir Ian McKellan as Cort
Viggo Mortensen as well, anyone

How's this work for you, Jayson?

Unfound One
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Orlando Bloom as Eddie.
Wait, Elwood as Roland?
Bahahaha.

AHHHHHHH!!!!! :panic:

jayson
05-06-2009, 03:35 PM

...as Oy?

Cordelia?

Joe Collins?

movieman19
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe Terry O'Quinn as Pere Callahan or John Cullum?

I can see him being Peter. That's actually a good choice that I never really thought of. However, I know it might be kinda dumb but when I was reading I always thought of James Cromwell as Peter Callahan. I think it's because I saw the new version of Salem's Lot around the time I was reading TDT for the first time.

If they cant get clint eastwood to play cort then terry o'quinn would be a good pick

They need to get Clint to play Steven Deschain. Now THAT would be the shits. :drool:

jayson
05-06-2009, 08:14 PM
They need to get Clint to play Steven Deschain. Now THAT would be the shits. :drool:

I didn't think of Stephen Deschain as being that old. The only time we see Stephen in the books is when Roland is a teenager. I don't think Stephen was supposed to be 78 which is how old Clint would be if they started filming it right now.

obscurejude
05-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, he'll be 85 when they wrap the filming. :lol: Maybe one of the elders at River Crossing?

movieman19
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Wishful thinking I guess. I don't really like thinking of casting this movie since it's so far out. It'll probably be like 10 years before we get to see it on screens. :cry:

obscurejude
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, we'd all like to see Clint movieman. He's just a bit old for this one. :couple:

sarajean
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I can see him being Peter. That's actually a good choice that I never really thought of. However, I know it might be kinda dumb but when I was reading I always thought of James Cromwell as Peter Callahan. I think it's because I saw the new version of Salem's Lot around the time I was reading TDT for the first time.

um, peter? :unsure:

turtlex
05-07-2009, 12:51 AM

...as Oy?

Cordelia?

Joe Collins?

As Oy, definitely as Oy !!!

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 01:27 AM
ooooohhhhh, Oy-Viggo! Golden-rimmed contact lenses, facial fur + paint and.. Now I've gone sidetracks.

What, I'm just still worried about that CGI Oy..

Daffy
05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
You know its too bad this movie got started soo late, I have always thought of Roland as Clint Eastwood, total Bummer for this constant reader :(

Still Servant
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Actually, that was the optimistic me! They have a huge job ahead of them simply writing script(s), a job I don't think they'll undertake until 2010 at the earliest. I'd be surprised if they came up with a real plan for production before 2015. Funding is a big "if" these days--look how long it's taking to get Buick 8 off the ground, and they already have a script and a director. I'll be watching this from my comfy chair in a retirement home, me thinks!

Once Star Trek opens this weekend, J.J. Abrams will have studios throwing blank checks at him for his next project.

If this whole Dark Tower thing really does come true, I think all they need is a kickass trailer and J.J.'s name on it get people to flock to the theater.

mae
05-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Once Star Trek opens this weekend, J.J. Abrams will have studios throwing blank checks at him for his next project.

If this whole Dark Tower thing really does come true, I think all they need is a kickass trailer and J.J.'s name on it get people to flock to the theater.

Absolutely right. And Star Trek looks like it might be this summer's biggest hit.

fernandito
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I've read some good reviews about Star Trek, hopefully filming that tought Abrams plenty of noteworthy techniques going forward to the DT movie.

candy
05-09-2009, 02:09 AM
went to watch star trek last night, and IF jj abrams treats The DT with as much love and repect as he did ST it will be fantastic.

he really kept to the original and the actors where out of this world. loved it and am even more excited now about a possible DT film

Joshh4490
05-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd really imagine the first movie, if it turns out to be "movies" will have to be, either Wizard and Glass focused,,, mostly the Roland's youth part...

or something with jericho hill...

let's face it,, if it's gonna be a series of movies.. it can't all be the gunslinger...
because it's so little action, and i think to really make mainstream audiences, understand some things in the right order,, I would start the movies With the Ball, being found outside the Wizard of Oz place, with 4 sets of hands on it.. a black set, a small set, a white set, and a set missing some fingers...

and instead flash back to mejis, at which point you can have Will Dearborn tell Susan about his trial with cort,, then you get to show that...then you have the big battle there,, bing bang boom ,, right to the point roland gets punched by alain to break him away from the ball, it fades like roland's knocked out.. then goes straight to The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed, end first movie...

Speaking as a Movie, I'd completely re imagine the lay of events as pertaining to how they unfold to a movie audience... I think the meji story is probably the most endearing to mainstream , it'll be part tragic love story, mixed with a braveheart like battle and loss... i think if you introduce to much metaphysical to early you'll lose some... think the matrix series backwards

RUBE
05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Based on the Star Trek movie I just watched:

The alternate time-line and time travel was very Lost/Dark Tower-like. With that and how I got into this movie without being a Trek fan I am now very excited about the Dark Tower movies being good.

I think Abrams may be able to bring in a lot of people who are not King fans.

kymkyhgq
05-10-2009, 02:53 AM
As excited as I am to hear the recent news... I'd so much rather it be a weekly miniseries on HBO or something. JJ has shown that he can make every week a cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more... and plus I don't think I could wait years in between movies.

DoctorDodge
05-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Right now i'm wondering about only one thing...if the Dark Tower was a movie series, then what role would be ideal for Simon Pegg?

Can't think of one myself, but considering he's been in two films that Abrams has been involved in, it's not really that much of a stretch for us Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz fans to want to see him in one of the coolest stories ever! :D

Bev Vincent
05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Blaine the Mono with a Scottish accent?

DoctorDodge
05-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Oddly enough, i'm now imagining Blaine in one of his insane moods doing a bad imitation of Scotty and saying "I'm giving her all she's got, Cap'n!" :wtf:

I know, I know: I have a very random mind. :lol:

jayson
05-10-2009, 03:54 PM
The voice of Nigel the Robot?

DoctorDodge
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
One thing's for sure: I can't really imagine Pegg getting the role of Walter.

"You will fail in your quest, gunslinger. The tower will fall, and the Crimson King shall rule. Of this much, I am sure. As sure as night follows day, sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd numbered Star Trek movie is shit."

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-10-2009, 05:24 PM
since its going to be put together by abrams, do any of u guys think it might be possible that he would use some of the fantastic actors from Lost?

I think that Josh Holloway would make an excellent Roland, especially if it takes a couple of years to get started on this project.

sarajean
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM

I think that Josh Holloway would make an excellent Roland, especially if it takes a couple of years to get started on this project.

i could not disagree more.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-11-2009, 01:52 AM
No problem, I could not disagree with your disagreeing more.
haha

jayson
05-11-2009, 03:49 AM

i could not disagree more.

I agree with sj's disagreement. He looks too young and pretty to play Roland. I know they can ugly him up with make up and effects but I just don't see him as Roland. I can't comment on his acting skills. I don't watch Lost and have never seen him in anything.

turtlex
05-11-2009, 04:16 AM
To me, Josh Holloway is too much of a pretty-boy to be Roland. He looks like he's been lying on a beach, not trudging across a desert.

dj_taboo
05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
i can't wait for a Dark Tower movie series. A TV series would be nice if it was like HBO or something. A network series would probably be too watered down.

Aleister Crowley
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
networks kill King's madness. the coke addicted crazed characters. all lost . . . . even some movies like the Shining lacked the coke. it was part of King's life and part of his books, you cant leave it out man!

candy
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Right now i'm wondering about only one thing...if the Dark Tower was a movie series, then what role would be ideal for Simon Pegg?

Can't think of one myself, but considering he's been in two films that Abrams has been involved in, it's not really that much of a stretch for us Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz fans to want to see him in one of the coolest stories ever! :D

grrrrr..... better bloody not be in it

Blaine the Mono with a Scottish accent?

dont even joke, he ruined scotty for me

no more of this jesting.

Bev Vincent
05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Damon Lindelof Compares Challenge of Adapting ‘Dark Tower’ To Zack Snyder’s ‘Watchmen’ (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/11/damon-lindelof-compares-challenge-of-adapting-dark-tower-to-zack-snyders-watchmen/)

As “Star Trek” makes its case for the new J.J. Abrams age of the franchise this weekend, he and fellow “Lost” creator Damon Lindelof continue to have early discussions about Stephen King’s cult series of books “The Dark Tower.” Lindelof confirmed Abrams’ assertion that “Lost” is priority number one at the moments, but said the project would require at least as much care as Zack Snyder’s adaptation of “Watchmen.”

“Having seen Zack go through what he went through on ‘Watchmen’ in terms of saying of where can I digress from the material I just get headaches thinking about changing anything,” Lindelof told MTV News. “It was the defining literary tale of my young adulthood into adulthood.”

Lindelof is keenly aware of how that level of attachment can affect his approach to the project. “My reverence for Stephen King is now getting in the way of what any good writer would do first when they’re adapting a book, which is take creative license in changing stuff,” he explained.

If the Hollywood power duo indeed moves on to King’s fantasy/Western tale when they finish with “Lost” it may be an extended commitment in addition to being a demanding one, given the scope of the seven-book series.

“Paramount is certainly looking at it as a franchise movie and thinking about sequels but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Lindelof said. “Ideas have been thrown around that are very informal at this point.”

And more formal conversations very well may not be in the cards until the fates of Oceanic Flight 815’s passengers are firmly on the ground for the the “Lost” finale.

mae
05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Paramount is certainly looking at it as a franchise movie and thinking about sequels

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement right there. They obviously can't start anything before Lost is in the can, but it seems like everyone is ready to jump in as soon as they can.

idoless
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
http://movies.ign.com/articles/982/982305p1.html

I am absolutely TERRIFIED about this..but extremely excited at the same time! :panic::panic:

I mean they both seem really into it..and I'm glad the comparison to the Watchmen movie was made. Watchmen has a HUGE following and they did amazing with that movie..so if they give the Dark Tower the same respect they gave Watchmen..I suppose thats a step in the right direction.:orely:

Thoughts?

fernandito
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey Idoless - thanks for posting this. I'm going to merge this into the General DT movie thread which includes the rest of the updates.

idoless
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh! Im sorry, I didn't realize there was a movie thread ::smacks forehead::!:( Sorry for taking up space lol.

Matt
05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
No problem at all, that's what we have staff for.

Some great information there, and I agree with you, it bodes well that they are taking it so seriously.

mae
05-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Question to our fearless mods: is it really correct to have this thread here, with general movie discussions, instead of in the Oracle where all the King news is? I mean this is pretty big fucking news we're discussing here...

jayson
05-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Question to our fearless mods: is it really correct to have this thread here, with general movie discussions, instead of in the Oracle where all the King news is? I mean this is pretty big fucking news we're discussing here...

Just my opinion, but it's not really "news" yet. The article just says Abrams is giving more thought to how he's going to make it. There's no actual news on exactly when or how many films or anything else. It amounts to "Abrams Thinks Out Loud About DT Movie." Not saying that isn't exciting in and of itself to people who want to see a DT movie, but I don't think it's news until there is new information. That said, the Oracle isn't my area, so maybe they have different ideas.

Brice
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
No, I'd say that's pretty much the case, Jayson. When and if (god, I hope not) this thing ever gets off the ground then it would be moved. I'd say not before production begins though, personally.

jayson
05-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I did get a kick out of the fact that the first thing he wants to mention is how he's thinking of the changes he's going to make. I see where his priorities are. :evil:

Tatts4Life
05-18-2009, 05:33 AM

When I was reading the books I all ways pictured Roland looking like Josh Holloway.

I'd really imagine the first movie, if it turns out to be "movies" will have to be, either Wizard and Glass focused,,, mostly the Roland's youth part...

let's face it,, if it's gonna be a series of movies.. it can't all be the gunslinger...
because it's so little action, and i think to really make mainstream audiences, understand some things in the right order,, I would start the movies With the Ball, being found outside the Wizard of Oz place, with 4 sets of hands on it.. a black set, a small set, a white set, and a set missing some fingers...

and instead flash back to mejis, at which point you can have Will Dearborn tell Susan about his trial with cort,, then you get to show that...then you have the big battle there,, bing bang boom ,, right to the point roland gets punched by alain to break him away from the ball, it fades like roland's knocked out.. then goes straight to The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed, end first movie...

Speaking as a Movie, I'd completely re imagine the lay of events as pertaining to how they unfold to a movie audience... I think the meji story is probably the most endearing to mainstream , it'll be part tragic love story, mixed with a braveheart like battle and loss... i think if you introduce to much metaphysical to early you'll lose some... think the matrix series backwards

For people that never read the series that would make a lot of sense to make the series like that. But I don't think that hardcore DT fans would like if they started out with the fourth book in the series.

mae
05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
What if Wizard and Glass was omitted altogether? Bear with me. I realize the book has its many fans, but it's also one of the more divisive books, I think. Some feel it to be one of the best in the series, while others tend to imagine it never existed. Maybe the entire story could be told in a trilogy (it would take three 3-hour films, very likely), and then, if successful enough, release W&G separately. Sort of taking a cue from the way Lord of the Rings was done, with a trilogy and then the prequel (The Hobbit).

It's just that I doubt, if filmed as written, the moviegoing public would really enjoy a feature-length flashback in the middle of the story just as the quest is getting good. I say save it for last.

Joshh4490
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
What if Wizard and Glass was omitted altogether? Bear with me. I realize the book has its many fans, but it's also one of the more divisive books, I think. Some feel it to be one of the best in the series, while others tend to imagine it never existed. Maybe the entire story could be told in a trilogy (it would take three 3-hour films, very likely), and then, if successful enough, release W&G separately. Sort of taking a cue from the way Lord of the Rings was done, with a trilogy and then the prequel (The Hobbit).

It's just that I doubt, if filmed as written, the moviegoing public would really enjoy a feature-length flashback in the middle of the story just as the quest is getting good. I say save it for last.

Fair point. and your probably right...i don't really know the best way to go about it but to me personally it was the most powerful part of the series..so i feel it would be almost an injustice to leave it out .

Perhaps the best way to start it, the movie that is truly would be the way it was written. I try to envision what it's like for me with other movies that i haven't read a book for..

One other idea i had was to have the movie start in with the part where jake and eddie see eachother in the real world that time ,, what was it, at the basketball court? have jake get killed,, then go to roland, wake up just before from that night mare , or something...

Bev Vincent
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Given the Marvel series' popularity, it might make very good sense to start with Roland as a young man and to chronicle the events of W&G + Marvel as a launching point. In fact, if anyone were to ask me for advice, that's what I'd suggest. The Gunslinger isn't material for the first movie in a series, in my opinion. It's too spare and uneventful. However, if you started with Gilead/Jericho Hill for the first film and then jumped up to The Gunslinger plus all or part of The Drawing of the Three as the second, that might work.

alinda
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Interesting ideas.

mae
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Well I always thought DT1 and DT2 would be combined into a single movie if filmed.

flaggwalkstheline
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I think it would work fine if it went in the same order of the books, although as far as mixing stories I think that some early parts of DT7 could be put into song of susanna

Seymour_Glass
05-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Definitely agree about attaching some DT7 stuffs to SoS.

And, I for one am so stoked about a movie that the changes might not bother me all too much, as long as it's not stupid.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I think that W and G would be a good starting point. Told in chronological order, it detracts much less from the main story. I think that W and G is one of the strongest stand-alone stories in the book and that it would translate well to the big screen. It also has plot points that would please many different tastes. Gunfights and Romance. In other words, I think that it would hook a larger audience (SK nieve that is) than any other story in the series. And for a project of this magnitude, generating a big following with the first installment is an absolute must.

candy
05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
I think that W and G would be a good starting point. Told in chronological order, it detracts much less from the main story. I think that W and G is one of the strongest stand-alone stories in the book and that it would translate well to the big screen. It also has plot points that would please many different tastes. Gunfights and Romance. In other words, I think that it would hook a larger audience (SK nieve that is) than any other story in the series. And for a project of this magnitude, generating a big following with the first installment is an absolute must.

Understand where your all coming from, however if you were to do it as a stand alone i would prefer it to be at the end as a tag on (much like the hobit will come after LOTR)

For me the main story is the Ka tet of Eddie and co and i was never really into the Cuthbert tet

mae
05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Same here, candy. I think a combined DT1/DT2 movie would be a much bigger success than a DT4 movie to start things off. You have so much weird stuff happening in those two books, especially in DT2 that lots of people will be intrigued, just like they were intrigued by the weird goings-on when Lost just started, and that kept them coming back to find out what the heck was going on. Same thing with DT1/DT2. But not a lot of that in DT4.

jayson
05-25-2009, 10:09 AM
The order of the series worked just fine for books. I don't see why it would be an issue for moviegoers. When The Godfather Part II had the DeNiro scenes, people understood that they were looking at Vito Corleone before the events of The Godfather. I'd put it right where it belongs, after The Waste Lands.

I don't need any weird goings on to capture my interest with W&G. It's Roland in his own world before it moved on. That is all kinds of interesting all by itself.

Kidd Ikarus
05-26-2009, 05:42 AM
The order of the series worked just fine for books. I don't see why it would be an issue for moviegoers. When The Godfather Part II had the DeNiro scenes, people understood that they were looking at Vito Corleone before the events of The Godfather. I'd put it right where it belongs, after The Waste Lands.

I don't need any weird goings on to capture my interest with W&G. It's Roland in his own world before it moved on. That is all kinds of interesting all by itself.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tatts4Life
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM

When I was reading the books I all ways pictured Roland looking like Josh Holloway.

For people that never read the series that would make a lot of sense to make the series like that. But I don't think that hardcore DT fans would like if they started out with the fourth book in the series.

WTF was edited in my post? I was looking through this thread and saw that it was edited. What the hell was edited in the post?

jayson
05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
WTF was edited in my post? I was looking through this thread and saw that it was edited. What the hell was edited in the post?

Nothing was edited out. It was simply two consecutive posts of yours merged into one. Everything you said in each of them remains intact.

Tatts4Life
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Got it. I sometimes forget to just add to my other posts if I'm posting back to back.

jayson
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
no problem. sorry for any confusion it may have caused you.

asamorris
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
The Dark Tower is officially on IMDB, slated for 2010.

Dud-a-chum?
06-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Understand where your all coming from, however if you were to do it as a stand alone i would prefer it to be at the end as a tag on (much like the hobit will come after LOTR)

For me the main story is the Ka tet of Eddie and co and i was never really into the Cuthbert tet

See, I'm the exact opposite. I personally found myself much more drawn (pun intended) to the young Roland story even during my first readthrough of the series. I remember distinctly always having to force myself to read through the present narratives in books 1 and 2 and hoping that King would shed more light on Roland's origin.

The pre-fall of Gilead sequences in book 1 where Roland challenges Cort, witnesses the hanging, catches Flagg and his mother in the act, etc.

^ That type of stuff held my interest much easier, and it only whetted my appetite for more stories of Roland's past. In fact, I honestly didn't relate to, or even 'like' Roland until I read W&G. Can we really expect a film audience to like him at all if their first image of him is the near-heartless, emotionless shell of a man he is in the current story? Film audiences aren't as patient as readers. Even myself personally, It was only after that fourth book when I was able to fully enjoy the current story of Roland, Eddie, Susannah and Jake. Why? Because I felt like I understood the character of Roland a lot better by that point. The ending of the series, for instance, would not have been nearly as psychologically satisfying to me had I not seen all of the events that had led Roland to that point.

In my view, the character of Roland isn't nearly as interesting or sympathetic without the origin story. If the young Roland ka-tet story arc (Which would include the flashback sequences from book 1, the Marvel comics, and the W&G narrative) is not told initially, a movie audience is simply going to see Roland as the selfish, mindless wanderer he ultimately became, and will never be able to sympathize with him by the time the story ends/begins. They are going to want answers about this character right off the bat, or at least not too far into the series.

Yes, the past story could in theory be told in fragmental flashbacks just as it is in the novels, but I'm with Bev in that the popularity of the comics has opened the doors to a whole new legion of DT fans who are very attached to young Roland. And frankly, I am, too. I love young Roland and his companions, and I don't see why King's mythology should be told out-of-order on screen. Hell, we don't even get to see the depth and richness of it all until those earlier pieces are added to the puzzle.

Think about it: if the story is told exactly in the same fashion it is in the books, we're looking at roughly nine hours worth of movies before any real depth is added to the main character of the story. On the page, that works, but film audiences won't be patient enough to sit through three, no doubt epicly long, films before light is shed on Roland's past. It comes across as poor pacing when in a film setting, not suspence-building.

Empath of the White
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
^I personally liked how it seemed that Roland wasn't necessarily a good guy; rather he just wasn't as bad as the person he was after. However I'd still be okay with them going a more chronological route with the story. Personally, I think that if they did so, the first movie could open with Steven Deschain seeing Roland and his ka-tet off. From there we get the events of WaG. I would want the director to save the surprise that Roland killed his mother for the Emerald Palace scene though.

candy
06-06-2009, 04:12 AM

See, I'm the exact opposite. I personally found myself much more drawn (pun intended) to the young Roland story even during my first readthrough of the series. I remember distinctly always having to force myself to read through the present narratives in books 1 and 2 and hoping that King would shed more light on Roland's origin.

The pre-fall of Gilead sequences in book 1 where Roland challenges Cort, witnesses the hanging, catches Flagg and his mother in the act, etc.

^ That type of stuff held my interest much easier, and it only whetted my appetite for more stories of Roland's past. In fact, I honestly didn't relate to, or even 'like' Roland until I read W&G. Can we really expect a film audience to like him at all if their first image of him is the near-heartless, emotionless shell of a man he is in the current story? Film audiences aren't as patient as readers. Even myself personally, It was only after that fourth book when I was able to fully enjoy the current story of Roland, Eddie, Susannah and Jake. Why? Because I felt like I understood the character of Roland a lot better by that point. The ending of the series, for instance, would not have been nearly as psychologically satisfying to me had I not seen all of the events that had led Roland to that point.

In my view, the character of Roland isn't nearly as interesting or sympathetic without the origin story. If the young Roland ka-tet story arc (Which would include the flashback sequences from book 1, the Marvel comics, and the W&G narrative) is not told initially, a movie audience is simply going to see Roland as the selfish, mindless wanderer he ultimately became, and will never be able to sympathize with him by the time the story ends/begins. They are going to want answers about this character right off the bat, or at least not too far into the series.

Yes, the past story could in theory be told in fragmental flashbacks just as it is in the novels, but I'm with Bev in that the popularity of the comics has opened the doors to a whole new legion of DT fans who are very attached to young Roland. And frankly, I am, too. I love young Roland and his companions, and I don't see why King's mythology should be told out-of-order on screen. Hell, we don't even get to see the depth and richness of it all until those earlier pieces are added to the puzzle.

Think about it: if the story is told exactly in the same fashion it is in the books, we're looking at roughly nine hours worth of movies before any real depth is added to the main character of the story. On the page, that works, but film audiences won't be patient enough to sit through three, no doubt epicly long, films before light is shed on Roland's past. It comes across as poor pacing when in a film setting, not suspence-building.

i think we shall have to agree to disagree:huglove:

i just cant see a 'new' audience having the patience to sit through a film about someones back story who they dont know. i think its asking a
lot for them to go see a film about a young gunslinger and a ka tet and then ask them to come back for whole new characters. \esp as to me the eddie/suz ka tet is the more interesting one. what i would not want is the audience to get attached to the cuthbert ka tet and then not give the love and support to eddie ka tet - in fact it would upset me greatly (drama queen moment sorry)

i enjoyed the fact that roland was cold and heartless and slightly alien, personally i could have done without the back story as for me it distracted away from the main story.

i do agree with the comment about the length of any film they make - and if its is to be a film (a series of films) i fear an awful lot of the books substance will be taken out (ala harry potter) you may even find that most of rolands past is deleted and only small parts told in flash back. which would free them away from W&G almost completley

razz
06-06-2009, 05:27 AM
well they could show parts of many of the events of W&G throughout the entire film series. Ironically enough, i was gonna say to do so like LOST.

Dud-a-chum?
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM

i just cant see a 'new' audience having the patience to sit through a film about someones back story who they dont know. i think its asking a
lot for them to go see a film about a young gunslinger and a ka tet and then ask them to come back for whole new characters. \esp as to me the eddie/suz ka tet is the more interesting one. what i would not want is the audience to get attached to the cuthbert ka tet and then not give the love and support to eddie ka tet - in fact it would upset me greatly (drama queen moment sorry)

i enjoyed the fact that roland was cold and heartless and slightly alien, personally i could have done without the back story as for me it distracted away from the main story.

i do agree with the comment about the length of any film they make - and if its is to be a film (a series of films) i fear an awful lot of the books substance will be taken out (ala harry potter) you may even find that most of rolands past is deleted and only small parts told in flash back. which would free them away from W&G almost completley

Well, I can certainly see where you are coming from, and I admit that my arguments are based soely on the fact that I personally prefer the young Roland story to say, a Seven Samurai re-telling with Snitches, Dr. Doom, and Lightsabers..

But that's just my opinion, and since everyone has their own takle on what is the 'best' part of the DT story, there is no way in hell everybody will be 100% happy with how it all ends up being adapted.

My only main wish is that, however they choose to present it all, the backstory has its place and gets its due screentime, in whatever capacity the filmmakers feel it would be best received.

I agree with you when you used that Harry Potter film adaptations as examples. Half the time the parts of the story thaty were embellished and re-written were very unimportant, while a lot of (seemingly) necessary information was completely missing. A shoddy job like that when adapting any book, but especially with the Fantasy genre, ends ups confusing the film audiences who have never read the books, and at times leaves them feeling alienated and unsure of the how and why behind the events on screen. Sure, the readers of the book will follow it just fine, but that is because they subconsciousely reach into their memories of the books themselves to fill in the blanks, and in the HP films, the blanks are many, in my opinion.

That's my biggest fear; the the DT films(series?) will alienate new audiences due to poor pacing and pages of usueful information completely thrown out to save time. As long as this can be avoided, I will be happy with whatever they come up with, and that's the truth.

Still, I would rather the young Roland story be gotten out of the way quickly, that way the rest of the series can focus on modern Roland, but hey, that isn't my call. :arg:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-06-2009, 04:49 PM

If Rolands "backstory" were to be told first as I have suggested, it would cease to be "backstory" and would become the story told in chronological order. I don't think that I nieve audience would be bored or confused by this. Quite the contrary in fact. I think the transition would be smooth.

Imagine the end of the first movie, as the camera zooms in on young Roland for the extreme close up eyeball shot, and then zooms back out on an older weather-beaten gunslinger.

mae
06-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't think they'll start with DT4 and the Marvel stories for the simple reason there's no Dark Tower anywhere there really. There's just too much backstory. Unless they start with the quest at the end. Otherwise they'll have a film called The Dark Tower with nary a mention of said tower.

jayson
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't think they'll start with DT4 and the Marvel stories for the simple reason there's no Dark Tower anywhere there really. There's just too much backstory. Unless they start with the quest at the end. Otherwise they'll have a film called The Dark Tower with nary a mention of said tower.

Hypothetically speaking, they could invent some dialogue in the scenes with the fathers sending the boys to Mejis that discusses the Tower. I wouldn't want it to be that way, but it's possible.

If there has to be a movie, I prefer it start with the Man in Black fleeing across the desert and the Gunslinger following. Any other start would be downright sacrilege.

Kidd Ikarus
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Hypothetically speaking, they could invent some dialogue in the scenes with the fathers sending the boys to Mejis that discusses the Tower. I wouldn't want it to be that way, but it's possible.

If there has to be a movie, I prefer it start with the Man in Black fleeing across the desert and the Gunslinger following. Any other start would be downright sacrilege.

Amen to that brotha. :clap:

candy
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
double amen:thumbsup:

AlishaRiley
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Make that triple.