PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Brice
08-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Luckily I never intended to watch ANY DT movie. Quite simply they can't come close to the movie in my mind. Because of this I'm basically fine with whatever changes they make.

fernandito
08-22-2016, 03:33 PM
...For all intents this is an adaptation of the series. Yup. And I'm perfectly fine with that. :rolleyes3:

And the logic of "everything is different because this is a new loop" clashes with what King has already said, that the 'loops' would in effect only have small increments of change. Roland, Walter, Pimli, Sayre, etc, wouldn't go through massive character shifts to the extent that this film is suggesting that they will because everything that happened prior to "the man in black fled across the desert" would still largely be the same.
I know this might be a strong ask, but let's assume that in a series where the fabric of reality is literally torn apart and rearranged, maybe things didn't rearrange exactly as originally envisioned by its creator.

Hell, even the creator of the series couldn't foresee himself getting sucked into the story itself. :wink:

CyberGhostface
08-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Yup. And I'm perfectly fine with that. :rolleyes3:

I'm not taking issue with it being an adaptation.

I know this might be a strong ask, but let's assume that in a series where the fabric of reality is literally torn apart and rearranged, maybe things didn't rearrange exactly as originally envisioned by its creator.

This line is used a lot (for example to handwave how Furth's comics were thrown out of continuity with 'Wind through the Keyhole') but the DT novels still follow their own (mostly) consistent logic. I.E. Jake doesn't die because Roland prevents Mort from pushing him into traffic and the conflicting set of memories drive both of them nearly insane. It's not a case of "everything is different just because".

fernandito
08-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Is it ever stated explicitly that Roland always draws the same 3 from the Beach?

Isamu Dyson
08-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Roland, Walter, Pimli, Sayre, etc, wouldn't go through massive character shifts to the extent that this film is suggesting

I am not sure how Roland having dark skin is a "massive character shift", given that his character isn't contingent upon him being white or black. Jake is a few years older, but I would not call that "massive" either.

Consider this: we have not seen/heard ANY of these individuals in action, so we cannot accurately criticize the acting/actual characterization of their respective actors yet.

CyberGhostface
08-22-2016, 03:56 PM
I am not sure how Roland having dark skin is a "massive character shift"

Did I suggest otherwise?

Isamu Dyson
08-22-2016, 04:04 PM
I am not sure how Roland having dark skin is a "massive character shift"

Did I suggest otherwise?

There isn't a whole lot else to go on with this adaptation. Do you consider characters being moved up in the "timeline" to be massively altered in terms of characterization?

CyberGhostface
08-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Did you miss the info beforehand that this Roland's main motivation is revenge against Walter/Marten and Jake has to be the one to sway him back to getting to the Tower?

Johnny Alien
08-23-2016, 03:45 AM
Do you consider characters being moved up in the "timeline" to be massively altered in terms of characterization?

At this point we have zero idea what is happening with any of these characters in the movie. The characters are not being moved up in the timeline. The breakers were there breaking in the very first book we just didn't see them. We saw the whole thing unfold from Roland's viewpoint but if you backed up and look at the whole story there was a whole bucket of bad stuff happening during the time when Roland was still finding his way up the beach.

Steve
08-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Is it ever stated explicitly that Roland always draws the same 3 from the Beach?

No, and I like the idea that he doesn't draw the same ka-tet each time. I personally view Roland's world as purgatory for his ka-tet, and that after their journeys conclude, they reach peace and happiness. Then rinse and repeat with a new ka-tet. So I would be perfectly fine seeing new characters this go-around.

fernandito
08-23-2016, 08:18 AM

No, and I like the idea that he doesn't draw the same ka-tet each time. I personally view Roland's world as purgatory for his ka-tet, and that after their journeys conclude, they reach peace and happiness. Then rinse and repeat with a new ka-tet. So I would be perfectly fine seeing new characters this go-around.

Me too. Although I'd be lying if I said it would break my heart just a little to not see Eddie and Roland's back and forth play out on the big screen.

Mattrick
08-23-2016, 10:21 AM
I always felt he has the same Ka-tet and their reward for their sacrifices is happiness together, because Roland really does make them a family. On the flipside, Ive always felt that The Man In Black wants the tower to fall and the cycle to end because he knows he's trapped in it, but he's powerless not to die at Mordred's hands.

Then again, I also think the entire series takes place inside Maerlyn's Grapefruit....

Girlystevedave
08-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Me too. Although I'd be lying if I said it would break my heart just a little to not see Eddie and Roland's back and forth play out on the big screen.

I always felt he has the same Ka-tet and their reward for their sacrifices is happiness together, because Roland really does make them a family. On the flipside, Ive always felt that The Man In Black wants the tower to fall and the cycle to end because he knows he's trapped in it, but he's powerless not to die at Mordred's hands.

Then again, I also think the entire series takes place inside Maerlyn's Grapefruit....

I don't think it's said anywhere that he always draws the same three, but I think that when I finished the series, I kinda felt like Jake, Susannah, and Eddie ended up together in the end so that the next loop would be "easier" as far as the drawing goes. Maybe I just always hoped that the next loop was the last loop.

And I agree that not seeing Eddie in the films would be a bummer.

ICry4Oy
08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
If they don't do Oy I'll be super bummed. .......but he'd better not be cartoonish.....

Bev Vincent
08-23-2016, 11:25 AM
If they don't do Oy I'll be super bummed. .......but he'd better not be cartoonish.....

I'm pretty sure Oy won't be in the first movie.

ICry4Oy
08-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Bummed. :( Actually I've been pretty bummed about this movie all along.........

St. Troy
08-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Is anyone familiar with the ice cream sundae that Spongebob Squarepants made for himself? Worst case scenario: we end up with the Spongebob Squarepants ice cream sundae version of DT.

Randall Flagg
08-23-2016, 12:15 PM

At best, he might be in a sketch somewhere on a wall, but even that background or the scene it is in might not make the final film.

St. Troy
08-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Maybe they could make Oy a bit Jar Jar Binks-like.

fernandito
08-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Yeah if any of the Tet is in danger of not getting the big screen treatment it's definitely Oy.

Bev Vincent
08-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Yeah if any of the Tet is in danger of not getting the big screen treatment it's definitely Oy.

I just don't think they're going to get that far into the story.

Isamu Dyson
08-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Did you miss the info beforehand that this Roland's main motivation is revenge against Walter/Marten and Jake has to be the one to sway him back to getting to the Tower?

In that case, it isn't so much a radical shift as an emphasis on a previously held grudge. Roland would need to desire to open up his own ice cream shop before I would call foul.

By the way, the amount of knowledge people retain between iterations of the story is a little unclear to me. Walter seems to be in the know, if only in a subtle way, but is it possible that people strongly linked to the fate of the Tower retain residual subconscious memories or feelings when the cosmic reset button is pressed?

Do you consider characters being moved up in the "timeline" to be massively altered in terms of characterization?

At this point we have zero idea what is happening with any of these characters in the movie. The characters are not being moved up in the timeline. The breakers were there breaking in the very first book we just didn't see them. We saw the whole thing unfold from Roland's viewpoint but if you backed up and look at the whole story there was a whole bucket of bad stuff happening during the time when Roland was still finding his way up the beach.

Allow me to rephrase my statement: characters being introduced earlier in the timeline :P.

Oy likely will not be in the first film - if nothing else - because of budgetary constraints.

(How many dead presidents does it take to fully animate a CGI companion anyhow?)

stroppygoblin
08-23-2016, 03:19 PM
(How many dead presidents does it take to fully animate a CGI companion anyhow?)

Despite not being anywhere near big enough, the Direwolves in GOT were pretty well done.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2016, 06:19 PM
In that case, it isn't so much a radical shift as an emphasis on a previously held grudge

An emphasis is one thing, but for Roland needing to be so deadset on revenge that he needs to be convinced that he needs to reach the Tower is another. Given that Roland's main obsession is the Tower and was before entering the Mohaine desert.

And then we have Matthew saying that Walter thinks he's "keeping the peace" when that's always been the last thing Walter cares about. When there's peace, that's when he causes chaos. That's his entire schtick.

Iwritecode
08-24-2016, 04:49 AM
In that case, it isn't so much a radical shift as an emphasis on a previously held grudge

An emphasis is one thing, but for Roland needing to be so deadset on revenge that he needs to be convinced that he needs to reach the Tower is another. Given that Roland's main obsession is the Tower and was before entering the Mohaine desert.

It's been awhile since I read the first book but I'm trying to remember if his obsession then was more about catching the MIB or was it about reaching the tower?

It seems to me if it was the latter, he wouldn't have let Jake fall. I remember there being an emphasis on him worrying about not catching the MIB if he stopped to help Jake and that his obsession to reach the tower didn't really start until after their palaver.

Again, it's been a long time so I may be mis-remembering the details.

Bev Vincent
08-24-2016, 06:07 AM
It's been awhile since I read the first book but I'm trying to remember if his obsession then was more about catching the MIB or was it about reaching the tower?
It seems to me if it was the latter, he wouldn't have let Jake fall. I remember there being an emphasis on him worrying about not catching the MIB if he stopped to help Jake and that his obsession to reach the tower didn't really start until after their palaver.

Again, it's been a long time so I may be mis-remembering the details.

He's chasing the MIB because he thinks that he's the only way he can get information about the Tower.

Steve
08-24-2016, 10:11 AM
On the subject of Oy, I am extremely wary. CGI is almost never convincing and ages rapidly and poorly. If they do decide to bring Oy to the screen, I hope it's through some puppetry, with CGI there solely as an aid, rather than a crutch. Computer-generated characters never have weight.

mae
08-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Why not have a live animal? Just a breed of dog of some kind? Plus they made very real-looking animals in The Jungle Book.

Merlin1958
08-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Gollum worked pretty well too. IMHO

fernandito
08-24-2016, 11:31 AM
They can have Oy but just use him sporadically.

Maybe his participation in the story is cut down so that when they do use him, it will have greater effect.

Kinda like what they did with Ghost in Game of Thrones.

Isamu Dyson
08-24-2016, 11:55 AM
A high quality two-dimensional The Dark Tower film or series of films would have been amazing, yes, but it/they would also have allowed for a fully animated Oy as well.

They can have Oy but just use him sporadically.

Maybe his participation in the story is cut down so that when they do use him, it will have greater effect.

Kinda like what they did with Ghost in Game of Thrones.

Perhaps keep him in Jake's backpack most of the time? His head can be a high quality animatronic puppet.

fernandito
08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
That could work.

All I know is that if they do full CGI, Andy Serkis should play him lmao

Merlin1958
08-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Or, they could go all "Monty Python" with him......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

The Gasherman
08-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah I think it's way too much jumping to conclusions that the sequel aspect changes anything other than the ending, and what led to a different ending. I'm not quite sure how any Dark Tower fan wouldn't want to see those changes. It gives closure to the story. Of course, many things will change and many things will be omitted as part of the adaptation, but that is the nature of adaptations in general and this is a very difficult one indeed.

skyofcrack
08-25-2016, 04:33 AM
That could work.

My precious Ake!

Isamu Dyson
08-25-2016, 04:54 PM
That could work.

Vinnie Jones can voice Oy the way only a true footballer could.

"Oy! OY!"

CyberGhostface
08-26-2016, 07:30 AM
I'm not quite sure how any Dark Tower fan wouldn't want to see those changes. It gives closure to the story.

Even if there is a definite 'ending' anything not written by King himself will always glorified fan fiction to me.

And even if he doesn't say it, King himself probably agrees. It's clear for example that for all the talk of the comics being canon he couldn't care less about them and ended up ignoring everything Furth introduced when he wrote the eighth book.

Sai Sheb
08-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Could they not use the team who made The life of Pi to do Oy??? The CGI in that film were great... also for a "voice" I'd use Eastwood... it's husky enough to be an animal!!!

The Gasherman
08-26-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm not quite sure how any Dark Tower fan wouldn't want to see those changes. It gives closure to the story.

Even if there is a definite 'ending' anything not written by King himself will always glorified fan fiction to me.

And even if he doesn't say it, King himself probably agrees. It's clear for example that for all the talk of the comics being canon he couldn't care less about them and ended up ignoring everything Furth introduced when he wrote the eighth book.

I think he will write it. Otherwise I agree.

Edit: Damn I should have done something better for my 19th post.

Randall Flagg
08-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Can you folks just let the OY part go. Roland and Jake are in this movie. The other members of the Ka-Tet aren't.

Merlin1958
08-27-2016, 01:17 PM
El Jefe, has spoken!!! lol

herbertwest
08-29-2016, 12:04 AM

At best, he might be in a sketch somewhere on a wall, but even that background or the scene it is in might not make the final film.

True. I heard that some scenes from the trailer of SUICIDE SQUAD is not in the final movie, and someone sued the studios for misleading them.

CyberGhostface
08-29-2016, 11:54 AM

He's not writing it. Nikolaj Arcel, Anders Thomas Jensen, Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner are.

fernandito
08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Idris Elba has completed all filming

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-movie-idris-elba-filming-done/

Merlin1958
08-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Thats awesome news!!!!

fernandito
08-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Their post production team must be working MAD hours.

The turn around for the totality of all things filming has been impressive.

I'm going to chalk it up to it being relatively SFX lite, and not an indication of the quality.

#IWantToBelieve
#ChildeRolandToTheDarkTowerCame

mae
08-29-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't think the first movie will be very effects-heavy but I also think they have plenty of time before February.

Isamu Dyson
08-30-2016, 12:49 AM
Idris Elba has completed all filming

He acted AND filmed? Golly...talk about a one-man cinematographic army.

Their post production team must be working MAD hours.

The turn around for the totality of all things filming has been impressive.

I'm going to chalk it up to it being relatively SFX lite, and not an indication of the quality.

#IWantToBelieve
#ChildeRolandToTheDarkTowerCame

A small scope lead-in feels like a breath of fresh air with all the recent blockbusters trying to be Epic in scope from the get-go and not necessarily succeeding.

After all, there will be plenty of time in future sequels for those grandiose vistas and action set-pieces we have come to imagine.

stroppygoblin
08-30-2016, 01:41 AM
Does anyone know the expected release date or is it still "sometime in 2017" ?

Isamu Dyson
08-30-2016, 02:00 AM

The release date is still the seventeenth of Feburary 2017, last I heard.

stroppygoblin
08-30-2016, 02:07 AM
That soon! Sweet :)

herbertwest
08-30-2016, 02:21 AM

15th in France :)

herbertwest
08-30-2016, 02:23 AM
[QUOTE=fernandito;1019653]Idris Elba has completed all filming

He acted AND filmed? Golly...talk about a one-man cinematographic army.

I bet that he just meant that he's done acting and the filming being done

Isamu Dyson
08-30-2016, 02:48 AM

15th in France :)

Why do you folks get the first slice :(?

herbertwest
08-30-2016, 03:45 AM
The movie releases are on wednesdays.
And premieres are also taking places on mondays/tuesdays before that.

Br!an
08-30-2016, 06:13 AM
2/17/2017 = 19/19

The Gasherman
08-30-2016, 11:23 AM

He's not writing it. Nikolaj Arcel, Anders Thomas Jensen, Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner are.

I'm talking about the new ending which obviously won't be addressed in the first film. I seriously doubt he's going to allow something that crucial to his entire catalog be changed by someone else. You have your mind made up though obviously.

divemaster
08-30-2016, 11:43 AM

More and more that's how I've come to see this. It's seemingly a one-off fan-fiction interpretation of "characters inspired by Stephen King." Like the comics, which I've never read and didn't even know existed until recently. "Further adventure" comic books not written by King don't interest me. And if I'm right about this movie, it doesn't really interest me either.

I get that I am in the minority here (and truth be told, I'll probably go see it unless the reviews really trash it), but look at the poll question for this thread--Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptation?. Of course I voted yes! But that's not what we are getting. At least the movie has a release date. This just screams "straight to video."

Tell you what, if a second movie gets made, with a theatrical release, I'll contribute an extra $100 to my normal annual donation to the Haven Fund. I'm sure my detractors in this thread will keep track and remind me--that's 100% fair.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do. It would be worth eating crow here and shelling out another C-Note to sit back and enjoy this fantastic epic brought to the big screen. But I have serious doubts.

The Gasherman
08-30-2016, 12:10 PM
The latest reports are saying this will be an adaptation. Not sure how accurate they are, but the claim was made.

Ari_Racing
08-30-2016, 12:12 PM
If they follow the script from 2014, don't expect and adaptation.

CyberGhostface
08-30-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm talking about the new ending which obviously won't be addressed in the first film. I seriously doubt he's going to allow something that crucial to his entire catalog be changed by someone else. You have your mind made up though obviously.

If the comics are any indication, I don't think he cares what they do. Robin Furth basically reimagined the entire backstory to the novels with the comics and he didn't even bother to give them a glance when he wrote 'Wind Through the Keyhole' because he didn't want them to 'junk up his head'.

I imagine he will have more involvement with the movies but at the end of the day he'll probably say something along the lines of "the books are the books and the movies are the movies" and if he chooses to write another one someday the film probably won't have any bearing on it.

Tell you what, if a second movie gets made, with a theatrical release, I'll contribute an extra $100 to my normal annual donation to the Haven Fund. I'm sure my detractors in this thread will keep track and remind me--that's 100% fair.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do. It would be worth eating crow here and shelling out another C-Note to sit back and enjoy this fantastic epic brought to the big screen. But I have serious doubts.

Yeah, everything indicates that the studios don't have a whole lot of faith in this being a blockbuster given how they were tossing it around and cutting away at the original budget. But who knows, 60 mil is small enough that the reaction could surprise us.

fernandito
08-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Yeah, everything indicates that the studios don't have a whole lot of faith in this being a blockbuster given how they were tossing it around and cutting away at the original budget. But who knows, 60 mil is small enough that the reaction could surprise us.
Their trepidation was understandable though. A play by play translation of the novels is practically impossible.

And to be frank I don't blame them for approaching this conservatively. Adapting this series was always going to be a massive gamble.

Besides, people are always clamoring for original material.. but then new IPs are released, and people ignore them in favor of Fast & Furious 17 and Grown Ups 3 starring Adam Fucking Sandler and fart smelling homies.

Brian861
08-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Besides, people are always clamoring for original material.. but then new IPs are released, and people ignore them in favor of Fast & Furious 17 and Grown Ups 3 starring Adam Fucking Sandler and fart smelling homies.

Good point.

CyberGhostface
09-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Their trepidation was understandable though. A play by play translation of the novels is practically impossible.

I think the first three books at least you could make very faithful adaptations with modest budgets (maybe the third one would be bigger).

Book 4 would really be the only one that I could see causing issues given that it's almost entirely one big flashback. 5-7 could be reasonably trimmed if you remove a lot of the stuff about telling stories in DT5 (as much as I like Callahan's arc that could easily be removed) and trekking through the snow in DT7.

St. Troy
09-01-2016, 06:21 AM
This is why a multiyear cable TV commitment would've been best - time for all the stuff the casual moviegoing audience has no time for: 50-60 hours of desert, gunfire, tragedy, immorality, good, evil, love, madness, and everything else under the sun. What that could have been...:arg:

Isamu Dyson
09-01-2016, 08:33 AM
What that could have been...:arg:

What could still be. If this film and those which follow it draw in enough warm bodies, there will be a rekindled interest in a more direct adaptation. It may not occur for a while, granted, but at least the idea survives in the meantime.

Isamu Dyson
09-02-2016, 01:45 AM
What sort of HUMOUR can we expect from this film?

Obviously there is going to be at least one scene where Roland gets a taste of the mundane luxuries of Jake's world and drops (again, at least) one malapropism...but what else? Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?

burial
09-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Ron Howard & Brian Grazer On The Beatles, ‘Dark Tower’ And 30 Years Together (http://deadline.com/2016/09/ron-howard-brian-grazer-the-beatles-eight-days-a-week-the-dark-tower-stephen-king-idris-elba-matthew-mcconaughey-1201812029/)

and at the end:
HOWARD:(...) We’re developing the television part, now. We don’t know what platform it will be on at this point, but we’re developing the content in hopes for more movies that will cover the epic and the characters involved.

Isamu Dyson
09-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Your worst nightmare: The Dark Tower on ABC.

Scratch that...The Dark Tower on PBS.

mae
09-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?

https://media.tenor.co/images/59558f0cb20a9c713c2a7559a1ec1eb6/raw

stroppygoblin
09-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Ron Howard & Brian Grazer On The Beatles, ‘Dark Tower’ And 30 Years Together (http://deadline.com/2016/09/ron-howard-brian-grazer-the-beatles-eight-days-a-week-the-dark-tower-stephen-king-idris-elba-matthew-mcconaughey-1201812029/)

and at the end:
HOWARD:(...) We’re developing the television part, now. We don’t know what platform it will be on at this point, but we’re developing the content in hopes for more movies that will cover the epic and the characters involved.

Interesting interview. This particular comment caught my eye...

One of the things we did was put together a team of Dark Tower researchers, devotees of the books. We wanted to restructure the novels to be most cinematic and Stephen King agreed completely and understood the journey we were on immediately and supported it. We used this group to inspire our thinking and stay in the universe of Dark Tower.

I wonder who this team was... Anybody here want to raise a hand (Bev/David/Ari?) or is there a silence contract till the film is released? :evil:

St. Troy
09-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Your worst nightmare: The Dark Tower on ABC.

Scratch that...The Dark Tower on PBS.

CW could give it a run for its money.

St. Troy
09-02-2016, 07:38 AM

and at the end:

I had no idea Howard was still connected with this; this is good news indeed.

webstar1000
09-02-2016, 07:59 AM

and at the end:

One of the things we did was put together a team of Dark Tower researchers, devotees of the books. We wanted to restructure the novels to be most cinematic and Stephen King agreed completely and understood the journey we were on immediately and supported it. We used this group to inspire our thinking and stay in the universe of Dark Tower.

I wonder who this team was... Anybody here want to raise a hand (Bev/David/Ari?) or is there a silence contract till the film is released? :evil:

I know of someone involved in this.. This IS FACT.

fernandito
09-02-2016, 08:08 AM
One of the Sombra websites has a countdown up on their banner.

Counting down to the trailer, perhaps?

http://www.asimovrobots.com/

St. Troy
09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Counting down to Oct 19, approx. 7:20 pm (NY time). Nice time for a trailer.

fernandito
09-02-2016, 11:27 AM

I think the first three books at least you could make very faithful adaptations with modest budgets (maybe the third one would be bigger).

Book 4 would really be the only one that I could see causing issues given that it's almost entirely one big flashback. 5-7 could be reasonably trimmed if you remove a lot of the stuff about telling stories in DT5 (as much as I like Callahan's arc that could easily be removed) and trekking through the snow in DT7.

Putting content aside, the first 3 books provide a structural conundrum.

Let's assume that Roland's flashback to his youth - which is a sizable chunk of The Gunslinger - is saved for a possible tie in TV series.. you'd practically be done with all things Gunslinger before the one hour mark. What then? Do you dip into Drawing of the Three? Where do you start, where do you end?

You can't cover both books in one film because then you'd be dangerously close to the 3 hour mark, something studios frown upon because that means less showings per day, a death kiss for a new IP like this which is already facing an uphill battle.

There's a lot more to adapting this series than just replicating the events of the novels on the screen...

This is why a multiyear cable TV commitment would've been best - time for all the stuff the casual moviegoing audience has no time for: 50-60 hours of desert, gunfire, tragedy, immorality, good, evil, love, madness..
I agree that Television would have been the optimal outlet, but then again there's no guarantee that the story would be a smash hit just because it's on a Television format.

If anything TV execs are typically more trigger happy when cancelling content. Who's to say they wouldn't cancel the series 6/10 episodes in if the ratings weren't as spectacular as they were expecting?

Obviously there is going to be at least one scene where Roland gets a taste of the mundane luxuries of Jake's world and drops (again, at least) one malapropism...but what else? Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?

An equal dosage of both.

My money's on Bev lol.

mae
09-02-2016, 01:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49VoZ0baqiY

Ben Staad
09-02-2016, 07:21 PM
What does "IP" stand for?

Isamu Dyson
09-02-2016, 10:08 PM
What does "IP" stand for?

Intellectual Property, in this instance.

Randall Flagg
09-03-2016, 01:11 PM
... Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?
I thought we weren't going there anymore.:wink:

herbertwest
09-04-2016, 01:59 PM

and at the end:

I'd say Bev, Robin Furth at least

CyberGhostface
09-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Let's assume that Roland's flashback to his youth - which is a sizable chunk of The Gunslinger - is saved for a possible tie in TV series.. you'd practically be done with all things Gunslinger before the one hour mark. What then? Do you dip into Drawing of the Three? Where do you start, where do you end?

You can't cover both books in one film because then you'd be dangerously close to the 3 hour mark, something studios frown upon because that means less showings per day, a death kiss for a new IP like this which is already facing an uphill battle.

I think if they wanted to they could make a 90 minute film from The Gunslinger just following adult Roland shooting up Tull, meeting Jake and pursuing Walter. Peter Jackson was able to make ten hours out of a 300 page book and while I wouldn't want to see that happen with DT I think there's enough material to fit it into one standard movie, even if it means adding a little bit of new material.

If anything TV execs are typically more trigger happy when cancelling content. Who's to say they wouldn't cancel the series 6/10 episodes in if the ratings weren't as spectacular as they were expecting?

This goes more for the movies although it could apply to the hypothetical series well...(and this question is for everyone here, I'm curious as to what their opinion is)

Which would you rather have:

1. A very faithful (or faithful enough like Peter Jackson's LotR) adaptation of the first three books that ends before the fourth book can be adapted

or

2. A finished version of the series that is nonetheless very different from the original books, one that crams the entire series into half as much time as it needs and rearranges and cuts out major sections of the story as well as giving considerably different versions of the original characters?

Merlin1958
09-05-2016, 12:40 PM

I think if they wanted to they could make a 90 minute film from The Gunslinger just following adult Roland shooting up Tull, meeting Jake and pursuing Walter. Peter Jackson was able to make ten hours out of a 300 page book and while I wouldn't want to see that happen with DT I think there's enough material to fit it into one standard movie, even if it means adding a little bit of new material.

This goes more for the movies although it could apply to the hypothetical series well...(and this question is for everyone here, I'm curious as to what their opinion is)

1. A very faithful (or faithful enough like Peter Jackson's LotR) adaptation of the first three books that ends before the fourth book can be adapted

or

2. A finished version of the series that is nonetheless very different from the original books, one that crams the entire series into half as much time as it needs and rearranges and cuts out major sections of the story as well as giving considerably different versions of the original characters?

Admittedly I am overdue for a re-read, but what did, Jackson do do wrong in the films? I thought he did a really good job of it IMHO

Br!an
09-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Admittedly I am overdue for a re-read, but what did, Jackson do do wrong in the films? I thought he did a really good job of it IMHO

The movies were not completely faithful to the books. They were faithful to the story in general, but when you get down to specifics they weren't the same. He did a really good job of bringing an epic series to film though. He took far more liberties with The Hobbit.

"Sure, it's not really THE LORD OF THE RINGS ... but it could still be a pretty damn cool movie. " -- Peter Jackson

"Lord of the Rings is perhaps the most faithful screenplay ever adapted from a long novel. This is not just because our writing quartet is devoted to the original and would share other fans' resentment if it were"mistreated". Tolkien has an advantage over Dickens, Tolstoy and other epic writers. His story lines have a clear sweep and are less concerned with the byways and subplots which characterise 19th century novels. Consequently the major milestones of the Fellowship's journey are intact. Inevitably, even in a three-film version, there will be some omissions of characters and elisions of events but as the story unfolds onscreen and as the landscapes are seen for the first time, little will be missed.
"The enthusiasts who have read the novels over and over may notice every change but in doing so they will miss the point. Peter Jackson's movie does not challenge the novel's supremacy any more than the distinguished book illustrations by Howe, Lee et al were meant to replace Tolkien's descriptive words. Paintings, drawings, animations and at last the feature films all augment our appreciation of Lord of the Rings. And just watch the book sales rise as New Line's publicity for the film gears up.
"Another point on this, the question that dominates my email: the adaptation of masterpieces from one medium to another is as old as literature. Most of Shakespeare's plays are re-workings of stories, poems or written history. When I moved Richard III from stage to screen, I was determined to make a good film in honour of a great play. Had I left every scene and line of the text intact in the movie, it would not have been a good one. Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, my favourite version of the Macbeth saga, distorts Shakespeare to spectacular effect. The play which inspired it remains intact."

-- Ian McKellen, October 3, 2000 (http://www.mckellen.com/epost/l001003.htm)

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time. The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing…. They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25. And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."

-- Christopher Tolkien, July 5, 2012 (http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-society/my-father-039-s-quot-eviscerated-quot-work-son-of-hobbit-scribe-j.r.r.-tolkien-finally-speaks-out/hobbit-silmarillion-lord-of-rings/c3s10299/#.UMZ_9aX4YRl)

The Complete List of Film Changes
http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes

Introduction (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/introduction)

The Hobbit

General Changes (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-hobbit-general-changes)
An Unexpected Journey (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey)
The Desolation of Smaug (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug)
There and Back Again (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-hobbit-there-and-back-again)

The Lord of the Rings

General Changes (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/general-changes)
The Fellowship of the Ring (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-fellowship-of-the-ring)
The Two Towers (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-two-towers)
The Return of the King (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/the-return-of-the-king)

False Rumours (http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes/false-rumours)

http://www.theonering.com/corec_images/spacer.gif

CyberGhostface
09-05-2016, 01:52 PM

I actually love the original LotR film trilogy although he did make a number of changes that I wasn't crazy about.

With The Hobbit on the other hand he took a fairly short book and made it into three very long films and the end result is something that's a bit of a bloated mess. They tried to make it another epic when the story doesn't call for it and it really falls short in comparison. But the main point I was making was just that it would be possible to make the first DT book into a standard-length movie. Another example would be 'The Mist' which is about a hundred pages and was made into a two-hour movie. And that one was pretty faithful to the original short story until the ending.

Merlin1958
09-05-2016, 04:28 PM

I actually love the original LotR film trilogy although he did make a number of changes that I wasn't crazy about.

With The Hobbit on the other hand he took a fairly short book and made it into three very long films and the end result is something that's a bit of a bloated mess. They tried to make it another epic when the story doesn't call for it and it really falls short in comparison. But the main point I was making was just that it would be possible to make the first DT book into a standard-length movie. Another example would be 'The Mist' which is about a hundred pages and was made into a two-hour movie. And that one was pretty faithful to the original short story until the ending.

Well, yeah he went a bit crazy with "The Hobbit", but I think he was looking at it from a film aspect, blending "Silmarillion/appendices" topics into it. I'm a devoted, Tolkien fan and I didn't have a real issue with the films. I thought he did a pretty good job with a monumental task.

Bev Vincent
09-06-2016, 03:42 AM

and at the end:

I'd say Bev, Robin Furth at least

I'm not involved.

Isamu Dyson
09-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Sound Mix: IMAX 6-Track | Dolby Surround 7.1 | Dolby Atmos | Datasat | 12-Track Digital Sound

IMAX, eh? I am intrigued. Can we expect to witness 3D vampires getting blasted by Roland?

St. Troy
09-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Which would you rather have...

Option 1, as King's story (and not that of whatever random screenwriter(s) happened to have accommodating schedules and/or needed the work) is the only reason I care at all at this point. I would watch the "option 2" movies out of curiosity and also because I generally like movies and happen to like this cast.

webstar1000
09-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Sound Mix: IMAX 6-Track | Dolby Surround 7.1 | Dolby Atmos | Datasat | 12-Track Digital Sound

IMAX, eh? I am intrigued. Can we expect to witness 3D vampires getting blasted by Roland?

There will be 3D no question.

fernandito
09-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Happy Birthday Idris Elba, our chosen Gunslinger!

https://67.media.tumblr.com/f528e32569f7b5cd8b57a57c97e004ad/tumblr_oabfc6jWqe1u496xso3_r1_500.jpg

WeDealInLead
09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Those are fine looking guns. I hope a high end toy line gets the license and makes these babies in 1:1 ratio. They'd look very nice as bookends to a hardcover set.

fernandito
09-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Those guns are fucking beautiful.

The six shooters are nice too.

The Gasherman
09-07-2016, 11:26 AM

or

2. A finished version of the series that is nonetheless very different from the original books, one that crams the entire series into half as much time as it needs and rearranges and cuts out major sections of the story as well as giving considerably different versions of the original characters?[/QUOTE]

If I pick option 1, do I at least get to see Blaine crash and burn?

Sai Sheb
09-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Always wanted to see what was in the waste lands... I say #1

Cixelsyd
09-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Counting down to Oct 19, approx. 7:20 pm (NY time). Nice time for a trailer.

It's actually counting down to 7:19 pm (NY time), which is written as 19:19 in 24 hour time.

So, October 19 at 19:19. The marketers (who work with the studio and the filmmaker in developing the marketing plan) seem to really GET the world here, and that is a very good thing.

Isamu Dyson
09-19-2016, 05:23 PM
https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/777914139381555200

Steve
09-21-2016, 07:20 AM
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/21/dark-tower-tv-series-stephen-king-wizard-glass

mae
09-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Guys, when posting links, also do a copy-paste of the article or at least a part of it. Bare links are never very informative. And they can change or go defunct.

Merlin1958
09-21-2016, 07:28 AM
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/21/dark-tower-tv-series-stephen-king-wizard-glass

Cool Beans!!!

herbertwest
09-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Will I be burned alive if i say that this book was the one I like the least of the entire saga?

Guess I've never really been into westerns and anything set in the past or with costumes..

Ari_Racing
09-21-2016, 09:06 AM
CHARYOU TREE!!!!!!!

:D :D

fernandito
09-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Will I be burned alive if i say that this book was the one I like the least of the entire saga?

Guess I've never really been into westerns and anything set in the past or with costumes..

I have no problem with the story telling Wizard and Glass, in fact I enjoyed it greatly.

My only regret is that it took place smack dab in the middle of the saga, throwing the pacing off completely. Would probably have worked best as a companion piece.

mikeC
09-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Yea, HW it's my least favorite in the series too but I liked it better the third time around, especially on audio.
I am still blown away there is no teaser or trailer for the movie yet.

Cixelsyd
09-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Might as well kick off the speculations now.. who gets cast for young Roland?

mae
09-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Donald Glover.

Iwritecode
09-21-2016, 10:12 AM

I have no problem with the story telling Wizard and Glass, in fact I enjoyed it greatly.

My only regret is that it took place smack dab in the middle of the saga, throwing the pacing off completely. Would probably have worked best as a companion piece.

Agreed. I think a lot of people name W&G as their least favorite book of the series. I started reading the series after it's release but a lot of people had been waiting on that cliffhanger from the 3rd book for a long time. Although it resolved the cliffhanger, it didn't move the story forward much at all.

After going back and re-reading it after the entire story has been told, I enjoyed it a little more.

Iwritecode
09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Donald Glover.

It'd have to be somebody younger IMHO.

ICry4Oy
09-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Donald Glover.

If it's Jaden Smith I am SOOOOO OUT.

St. Troy
09-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Really? His eyebrows alone have been known to carry entire scenes.

Iwritecode
09-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Donald Glover.

I had meant to type "please anyone but Will Smith's kid" in my last post but forgot.

Steve
09-21-2016, 11:57 AM
If he could mask his heavy accent, Abraham Attah wouldn't be bad. The kid has great gravitas and quite the presence for someone his age. But they'll probably (wisely) go for an unknown.

ICry4Oy
09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Will it be "this" Roland or another Roland? Does he have to be black? Maybe have him be Asian this time...with a limp and a glass eye!

brethren
09-21-2016, 01:53 PM
John Boyega could work really well.

Btw, I feel like it's early Xmas with the news of the W&G TV series. Just awesome.

Ricky
09-21-2016, 02:40 PM

No, I struggled to get through it.

I am still blown away there is no teaser or trailer for the movie yet.

The first-look at footage from the movie will appear at Entertainment Weekly's PopFest in October. Who knows if it'll be put online afterwards, though.

webstar1000
09-21-2016, 05:11 PM
There is a strong chance this could be on Netflix too... The chap that is involved with it does house of cards? Is this what I'm seeing? Man that's VERY promising. I love almost everything Netflix does. Be a VERY smart choice to put the show there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyofcrack
09-22-2016, 03:19 AM
Edit: I don't know if the plan is still to do features AND a TV series but I would leave all the flashbacks for the series and do the linear story in 3 or 4 films, shooting them all at once.

Good call Sky!

I'm getting more excited now for this project. The fact these filmmakers have enough confidence in what they shot to commit to the TV series before the numbers come in for the first film.

Netflix would be a great choice since this part of the story could be binge watched. Plus, no censorship.

webstar1000
09-22-2016, 03:24 AM
Edit: I don't know if the plan is still to do features AND a TV series but I would leave all the flashbacks for the series and do the linear story in 3 or 4 films, shooting them all at once.

Good call Sky!

I'm getting more excited now for this project. The fact these filmmakers have enough confidence in what they shot to commit to the TV series before the numbers come in for the first film.

Netflix would be a great choice since this part of the story could be binge watched. Plus, no censorship.

No censorship... HUGE!

Brian861
09-22-2016, 03:25 AM
Will it be "this" Roland or another Roland? Does he have to be black? Maybe have him be Asian this time...with a limp and a glass eye!

:lol: W&G was my second favorite in the series behind TDOTT.

Isamu Dyson
09-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Don't feed the trolls.

webstar1000
09-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Don't feed the trolls.

?

brethren
09-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Here's an image they released for the series, complete with map and a quote from Cort:

http://www.southquarter.com/DTseriesmap.jpg

Ben Staad
09-22-2016, 08:36 AM
I think he is referring to people that don't share his opinion.

Don't feed the trolls.

?

ICry4Oy
09-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Don't feed the trolls.

Just a joke dude. Chill.

Ben Staad
09-22-2016, 08:45 AM
I don't know. It may be cool to see Rolanda in the TV series. http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55941030.jpg

Don't feed the trolls.

Just a joke dude. Chill.

Ben Staad
09-22-2016, 08:48 AM
And before anyone says anything, Jamie Foxx is a helluva actor.

ICry4Oy
09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
HAHAHA!!!!!! Damn I miss Wanda.

fernandito
09-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Yeah, that surprised me too tbh. I don't know how much of the final cut they've seen, but if they're fast tracking a TV series, they must indeed have liked what they were shown.

Fuck man, I'm too pumped for this!

Isamu Dyson
09-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Wizard and Glass on HBO: Now with more Rhea of the Coos masturbation ><.

RUBE
09-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Wizard and Glass is my favorite book and it will actually get the proper time to tell the story in a mini-series. With The Gunslinger flashbacks included, I am expecting this to be way better than the movie.

BTW, there is a huge spoiler hidden in that EW article. Its says the flashback is framed by Roland telling Jake the story. That means Jake survives the first movie and there is no a "there are other worlds than these" moments.

Sai Sheb
09-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Well spotted Rube! I just want to know if it is a direct translation from the book will they look for a Eastwood lookalike or use Elba for the telling and a young Elba lookalike for him??? Also will we see the rest of the ka-tet as SK depicted them?? Or will all flash back be cancelled and just the story be told?!?! All this unknowing makes me wanna puke.

skyofcrack
09-24-2016, 03:00 PM
The article says the TV show will adapt W&G as well as Roland's days training as told in The Gunslinger.

Roland and Jake will be in the TV series as the framing device to tell the flashbacks.

King has insisted the film still starts the same as the book with the iconic opening line.

I assume Roland will still meet up with Jake at the way station. They will probably have Jake ask Roland about his past and he will say, "that is a tale for another time."

So that will tie into the TV Series.

I don't know how they will have Roland and Jake in New York in the first film though.

Maybe when Jake first sees him he has a double take then says, "hey, you're black now." :wink:

Merlin1958
09-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Sounds as if they may be dropping the incident under the mountain this time around. That may or may not be a mistake. Regardless, we have to expect some major changes this time through the loop with him having the horn. It stands to reason that some significant incidents must change this time around and that would be one of the candidates, no?

Randall Flagg
09-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Maybe when Jake first sees him he has a double take then says, "hey, you're black now." :wink:
Cute. The movie(s) may not have it, but I believe Jake's take regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. should be "You killed me! You fuck!"

Merlin1958
09-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Cute. The movie(s) may not have it, but I believe Jake's take regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. should be "You killed me! You fuck!"

Maybe this time he doesn't is what I'm pondering.

Isamu Dyson
09-24-2016, 05:08 PM

"Jake, that was another me."

Mattrick
09-24-2016, 06:13 PM

I believe when he drops Jake he damns himself. To truly break the cycle he has to not drop Jake. I think the second he wakes up after his conversation with The Man In Black, that's it. He's locked in.

Merlin1958
09-24-2016, 06:25 PM

I believe when he drops Jake he damns himself. To truly break the cycle he has to not drop Jake. I think the second he wakes up after his conversation with The Man In Black, that's it. He's locked in.

That is what I was getting at. What if he doesn't drop, Jake this time around? Could be real good if they handle it well.

Johnny Alien
09-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Based on stuff I heard from early versions of the script I had theorized (before it eventually got revealed) that the movie was going to be the next loop and that he wasn't going to drop Jake thus redeeming himself. Someone on the inside said that the mountain scene is in there but had some changes to it. Since we have seen the haunted house that brings Jake into mid-world the second time is in the first film it seems likely that they are using that to bring in Jake because there will be only one entry point not two.

Also since they are doing the haunted house pre-Eddie and Susannah we can assume there is no circle rape scene and no pregnancy/Modrid. That would be good news in my book.

Sai Sheb
09-24-2016, 11:24 PM
So HTF (how the fuck) does this work? Jake comes the the Dutch house to the way station? If not dropping Jake means redemption what about Tull... also where the heck are Eddie and Susanna??

Johnny Alien
09-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Tull happened before the loop so it has to be outside whatever redemption he can get. King has said many times that there is clearly a path that Roland can take to free himself and has hinted that it's what happens under the mountain. Eddie and Susannah are mostly likely still coming but in the second film which is implied to have them drawn as they are in the second book. I assume you are right that Jake is going to go from the house to the way station.

skyofcrack
09-25-2016, 06:31 AM
The house scene is key to the entire series. Susannah has to be there to distract the demon while Eddie uses the key he made to get to Jake and pull him through.

If Roland doesn't drop Jake then they are both there on the beach when the doors are revealed. Maybe Jake prevents the lobstrosities from injuring Roland and they both go through the door to New York.

What about Jake getting pushed into the street and Odetta getting hit by the brick?

I wonder if Jake and Roland have any memories of the previous iteration.

Johnny Alien
09-25-2016, 06:10 PM
The house scene is key to the entire series. Susannah has to be there to distract the demon while Eddie uses the key he made to get to Jake and pull him through.

I think they will drop the whole pregnancy thing. Mordred is a character that goes nowhere and most of the pregnancy stuff with Mia would translate horrible to film. I would not be shocked for them to get rid of all of SOS.

Merlin1958
09-25-2016, 06:44 PM

If Roland doesn't drop Jake then they are both there on the beach when the doors are revealed. Maybe Jake prevents the lobstrosities from injuring Roland and they both go through the door to New York.

What about Jake getting pushed into the street and Odetta getting hit by the brick?

I wonder if Jake and Roland have any memories of the previous iteration.

I think the thing to remember is that this is his 20th loop and all bets are off now that he has the horn. It's like the "Butterfly Effect" to an extent. One simple change has ramifications on everything else. This film is "based" on the books. Not the books themselves. Which is a good thing IMHO

Sai Sheb
09-26-2016, 08:15 AM
So if he has the horn ( keep it clean) does that mean Cuthbert could have survived Jericho hill?

Bev Vincent
09-26-2016, 08:19 AM
So if he has the horn ( keep it clean) does that mean Cuthbert could have survived Jericho hill?

Not necessarily. It means only that he took the extra second or two required to pick it up. To me that means he is willing to see things close at hand instead of always looking far to the Tower.

fernandito
09-26-2016, 08:50 AM
What would be amazing is if we get to the this crossroads in the movie, and instead of letting him fall Roland makes a dramatic, last minute lunge to keep Jake from falling. I'm getting chills just thinking about it lol.

I think they will drop the whole pregnancy thing. Mordred is a character that goes nowhere and most of the pregnancy stuff with Mia would translate horrible to film. I would not be shocked for them to get rid of all of SOS.
Completely fine with Mordred being dropped, he adds nothing.

Interesting question..

I mean theoretically yeah, Cuthbert could still be alive, but what kind of ripples would that send throughout the series? What would be the reason for him not being with Roland when the film starts?

mae
09-26-2016, 09:04 AM
I loved Mordred and Roland with Jake in Maine, so I would love to see that on the screen.

fernandito
09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
An excerpt from an EW article regarding Wizard and Glass.

If anything, they are doing a tremendous job of selling this universe lol.

...“In the movie, Roland is suffering tremendous loss. The most concrete, personal, existential heartbreak a character can have,” Goldsman says. “If the movie chronicles his final reach toward hope again, the TV show is the loss of that hope.”

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2016/09/20/dark-tower-tv-image.jpg

fernandito
09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Also, we need to see Roland besting Cort. Either in the movie or the TV series, although my bet is on the latter.

That is one of THE defining Roland moments.

Steve
09-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I think that everything up to the decision Roland makes under the mountains happens in every single loop. But I still believe that it works better if every time he has to draw someone, it's different each time. So while I'd love to see Eddie and Susannah and Oy (oh my!), I'd be just as delighted if they weren't in it and we were given some new characters.

skyofcrack
09-26-2016, 12:50 PM
On IMDB there are crew members who worked on underwater and bus sequences. Any idea what these are?

Another pic I haven't seen.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/Details%20On%20Stephen%20Kings%20Dark%20Tower%20TV %20Series0005972016-09-26-16-36-25_zps5wmaqlvg.jpg~original

fernandito
09-28-2016, 08:33 AM
On IMDB there are crew members who worked on underwater and bus sequences. Any idea what these are?

The underwater scene is probably one in which Roland is saving Jake from the Taheen.

The latter will be used to frame Roland acclimatizing himself to our technology.

mae
09-29-2016, 04:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqMj_rsKKw

fernandito
10-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Inching closer toward the trailer premiere...

The Gasherman
10-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Well spotted Rube! I just want to know if it is a direct translation from the book will they look for a Eastwood lookalike or use Elba for the telling and a young Elba lookalike for him??? Also will we see the rest of the ka-tet as SK depicted them?? Or will all flash back be cancelled and just the story be told?!?! All this unknowing makes me wanna puke.

COYS

BrandoRex
10-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Haven't read all the posts but have they said what network/steaming service it was tied to? I saw talk about HBO but wasn't sure if that was fact.

Bev Vincent
10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Haven't read all the posts but have they said what network/steaming service it was tied to? I saw talk about HBO but wasn't sure if that was fact.

Not tied to any outlet as of yet.

Sai Sheb
10-03-2016, 11:47 PM

COYS

How did you know? :orely:

Isamu Dyson
10-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Regarding the hush-hush over Winnick's character: she will be playing Jake's mother, but...she might also be pulling double duty by playing a twinner (http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Twinners) in Mid-World as well.

Ari_Racing
10-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Is that confirmed? I though she was going to play Allie.

Isamu Dyson
10-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Regarding the hush-hush over Winnick's character: she will be playing Jake's mother

Is that confirmed?

Yes. It is confirmed.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/19/dark-tower-movie-books

However, I did find the act of covering the nameplate on her trailer to be somewhat puzzling.

Ari_Racing
10-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Oh, nice. I forgot about that article. :)

Isamu Dyson
10-04-2016, 03:22 PM

The possibility of her playing Allie still exists. Wouldn't that be something?

Ari_Racing
10-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Allie's character is important in the script.

fernandito
10-04-2016, 03:28 PM

The possibility of her playing Allie still exists. Wouldn't that be something?

I'm trying to think of a reason that that would be a bad idea, but I honestly can't think of one. If anything, it would further solidify the symbolic nature of Roland and Jake's Father-Son dynamic.

Mind blown.

The Gasherman
10-04-2016, 04:46 PM
There has to be a Greta Shaw right? Surely there are at least 10 scenes of her cutting off crusts and calling him Bama.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 04:51 PM
I'd be surprised if they got into "Twinners". Seems to me they already have a full plate.

WeDealInLead
10-04-2016, 04:57 PM
It looks like even some of the sceptics are starting to feel optimistic about the movie. That's pretty cool.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 05:20 PM
It looks like even some of the sceptics are starting to feel optimistic about the movie. That's pretty cool.

Got some links?

fernandito
10-04-2016, 05:33 PM
I'd be surprised if they got into "Twinners". Seems to me they already have a full plate.

Tru, tru. Perhaps they'll be delved into down the road.

Merlin1958
10-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Tru, tru. Perhaps they'll be delved into down the road.

Now that I think of it, doesn't Spielberg have the rights to The Talisman? Maybe there would be a conflict? As I recall, "Twinners" were introduced in "The Talisamn" and later carried forward in TDT. Might be some issues there, but I'm not a Lawyer.

herbertwest
10-05-2016, 12:17 AM
Regarding the hush-hush over Winnick's character: she will be playing Jake's mother

Is that confirmed?

Yes. It is confirmed.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/19/dark-tower-movie-books

However, I did find the act of covering the nameplate on her trailer to be somewhat puzzling.

Wasnt the EW Popfest party in mid-october?

Bev Vincent
10-05-2016, 03:45 AM
Wasnt the EW Popfest party in mid-october?

Oct 29-30

Ben Staad
10-05-2016, 05:11 AM
I'm certainly interested to see this world on the big screen. It is an amazing world filled with endless possibilities that are being explored. It sounds like an expansion of the story, which I wasn't expecting, but nonetheless should be fun to see.

Isamu Dyson
10-05-2016, 10:58 PM

On the other hand, it is an easy (plus canon) way to highlight the differences AND similarities between the worlds. Oh yeah...it would also draw Roland into a course of action at least in part because of an extra-personal emotional investment.

Br!an
10-09-2016, 05:55 AM
I'm not a Lawyer.

You aren't even a whore anymore! :wtf:

curt1521
10-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Leaked Trailer. Not sure if it's legit or not...

https://vimeo.com/186275513

CyberGhostface
10-10-2016, 08:48 AM
IDK if I can post it here but the trailer leaked online. It pretty much confirms that this is an adaptation in name only. Honestly you could change the character names and remove references to the Tower and I wouldn't even recognize it as DT.

Edit: Seems I was beat to it lol.

St. Troy
10-10-2016, 08:48 AM
The visible green screen says "unofficial," but there's so much here that must at least have been sourced from the original that it seems to be a genuine taste of what's to come. Seems pretty intense.

WeDealInLead
10-10-2016, 09:13 AM
"I kill with my heart."

Chills...

Merlin1958
10-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Leaked Trailer. Not sure if it's legit or not...

https://vimeo.com/186275513

Looks legit and awesome to me!!!!

Merlin1958
10-10-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not a Lawyer.

You aren't even a whore anymore! :wtf:

Sigh, Yep, just a regular old asshole now!!! lol

webstar1000
10-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Don't know about everyone else.... but that looks un-freaking-believable!!!!! I got goosebumps!!!!!

Ben Staad
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Looks like it has been pulled.

fernandito
10-10-2016, 11:36 AM
I have so many goosebumps right now. Wowzers.

That shot of Roland reloading and firing the revolvers was awesome. The music, the tone. I need to hear more of McConaughey as MiB to decide whether or not I like him yet.

"I do not aim with my hand... I am with my eye." GAWD DAMN

What was the creature Roland shot in the woods?

The Gasherman
10-10-2016, 11:48 AM
It looks amazing! I don't even care about the changes just hope we get most of the beach through Blaine and I'm good. The Dutch Hill part is a little disappointing since that was such a great part of the book, but it makes sense.

The Gasherman
10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Booted version is up here

https://www.facebook.com/therpf/videos/10154548296127243/

Randall Flagg
10-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Looks good. Right in line with the script I read.

Isamu Dyson
10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
I can certainly tell that, if nothing else, I am going to enjoy Elba's interpretation of Roland Deschain. Mid-World looked good. McConaughey did not show as much of Walter as Elba did Roland, but perhaps that was a wise decision.

Steve
10-10-2016, 01:20 PM
I mean, obviously it's a rough teaser, but I am very much digging what I'm seeing.

mae
10-10-2016, 01:37 PM
A teaser of some sort may be coming soon but the trailer itself will be released around Christmas:

http://collider.com/spider-man-spin-off-movies-the-dark-tower-trailer/

Finally, one of the other things he said which I think is important is the way director Nikolaj Arcel’s highly anticipated adaptation of Stephen King‘s The Dark Tower series will appeal to both fandom and people that have never heard of it. He said, “It manages that rare feat of being very satisfying for fans because it’s deeply loyal to the underlying material and Stephen King’s mythology, but also, I think, introduces a whole bunch of new fans.” I’m extremely optimistic about this movie just on the casting of Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey alone, and if the film manages to do what Rothman said, the sky’s the limit.

Tom Rothman reveals we’ll get a Dark Tower teaser or a trailer at Christmas.

fernandito
10-10-2016, 01:44 PM
...The Dutch Hill part is a little disappointing since that was such a great part of the book, but it makes sense.

Not gonna lie, this might be the only that's going to disappoint me.

Was really looking forward to the DH monster :(

webstar1000
10-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Is it safe to say everyone was very impressed? Did anyone NOT like it? I absolutely loved it!

Johnny Alien
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
I am with everyone in that it's disappointing that the house is an electronic portal vs the monster BUT I think the rest looks really good.

mae
10-10-2016, 04:17 PM
It'll probably be taken down again soon, but the leaked trailer just popped up again on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfswHUUZC8

Sai Sheb
10-11-2016, 05:16 AM
I go one night without my phone and this is what I miss.... can't find it now.... crap on a cracker

mae
10-11-2016, 05:26 AM
Well, it's already gone... Hopefully something official is released soon.

mikeC
10-11-2016, 05:55 AM
The cover song in the trailer is just obnoxious takes me out of it completely.
Plus Roland doesn't have blue eyes anymore.
It's cool they have the blue/green filter on it though, that's how you know it's serious. lolz

zelig
10-11-2016, 07:19 AM
That's funny, I was going to say I really like the cover song. Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. I don't know who does this version in the trailer.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 07:27 AM
The vibe I am getting is that this loop is more focused on, Jake. I always felt that, Mr. King kind of felt that way in the original series, but went traditional with, Roland as the focus. Could be very interesting indeed.

St. Troy
10-11-2016, 07:42 AM
If they turn this into The Adventures Of The All-American Boy and His Sidekick Roland, I will consider hurting the people responsible.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 07:46 AM
If they turn this into The Adventures Of The All-American Boy and His Sidekick Roland, I will consider hurting the people responsible.

C'mon, man!!! lol Think about it. Wasn't it always a little more about Jake and Roland as opposed to Roland and the tower? Wasn't the obsession for the tower what ultimately doomed his relationship with, Jake?

bdwyer19
10-11-2016, 07:51 AM
That's funny, I was going to say I really like the cover song. Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. I don't know who does this version in the trailer.

I agree. I liked how it helped set the tone. Great trailer overall!

herbertwest
10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Its weird : I posted on my french facebook page yesterday a link to a status on facebook with the video.
Now, my own status had disappeared : because the quoted status was removed? I never saw anything similar like this...

I bet that the trailer will be publicly released after that EW Popfest event : probably on EW's own website

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Its weird : I posted on my french facebook page yesterday a link to a status on facebook with the video.
Now, my own status had disappeared : because the quoted status was removed? I never saw anything similar like this...

I bet that the trailer will be publicly released after that EW Popfest event : probably on EW's own website

October 19th.............................................. ....... http://www.sombragroup.com/

fernandito
10-11-2016, 08:04 AM
I am with everyone in that it's disappointing that the house is an electronic portal vs the monster BUT I think the rest looks really good.

I was thinking about this last night..

The horror and fantasy element of the story is already well taken care of with the low men and vampires and whatever the hell that creature in the woods was. They needed one strong statement piece showcasing the futuristic technology aspect and the Dutch Hill portal delivers that in a very compelling way.

St. Troy
10-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Wasn't it always a little more about Jake and Roland as opposed to Roland and the tower?

Not that I noticed, and if it had been, I'd probably have stopped reading the series. To me, Jake was just the helpless innocent inserted into the story to show us that Roland would really stop at nothing.

Wasn't the obsession for the tower what ultimately doomed his relationship with, Jake?

I think it doomed all of Roland's relationships, for the reason I mention above.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Well, to each their own. I always thought that Roland and Jake had a deeper, more special bond than anyone else in the Ka-tet. Eddie and Sussanah paired off eventually and it was Roland and Jake in the beginning. Anyway, JMHO

Edit: St. Troy, how many times have you read the series?

Bev Vincent
10-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Will Ron Howard Ever Direct A Dark Tower Movie? Here’s What He Tells Us (http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1565349/will-ron-howard-ever-direct-a-dark-tower-movie-heres-what-he-tells-us)

mikeC
10-11-2016, 09:30 AM
The trailer looks like they are selling it as another YA book series, which is a shame.
I expect the W&G show (if they still make it) will be on CW for sure.

fernandito
10-11-2016, 09:46 AM
The trailer looks like they are selling it as another YA book series, which is a shame.

I counted 1 young adult there, and zero traces of fledgling romances or love triangles.

Watchoo talking about Willis?

mikeC
10-11-2016, 11:09 AM

I counted 1 young adult there, and zero traces of fledgling romances or love triangles.

Watchoo talking about Willis?

That's the vibe I'm getting.

BuctherOfTull
10-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Hay guys new here just wanted to give my thoughts on the trailer. So im happy with what i saw of Roland. He seems so badass i love it. One thing i wanted to point out is that the secnes with New York in chaos makes me think that a beamquake happens in the film. I also think the film is going to surprise us by starting with Roland at a version of Tull before getting to Jake. I think the burning village is Tull. So no I don't Jake will be the Main Character. This is Roland's movie. Thats my feeling anyway.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
To clarify, I agree the film's main characters are Roland and MIB. However they may focus a little more on the relationship between Roland and Jake. That's okay by me. To add my other three beans, I'm cool with the "SciFi" vibe on the portal in Dutch Hill for the reasons stated above. Most of the doors in the film were man made or SF in the books as well. Thank you, NCP!!!!!!! LOL

The Gasherman
10-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Seemingly without Mordred will we see the MIB as the main villain throughout? I never was a huge fan of the CK storyline and I think it will translate even worse to film. I love the bits with Black 13 though so there is that conundrum.

Merlin1958
10-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Seemingly without Mordred will we see the MIB as the main villain throughout? I never was a huge fan of the CK storyline and I think it will translate even worse to film. I love the bits with Black 13 though so there is that conundrum.

With a mind to Mike Whelans' awesome illustration of the Crimson King I don't see how they could avoid, or want to not include that character.

Think, Snoke and Kylo Ren

BuctherOfTull
10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
How well do you guys think this will do at the Box Office? I predict 35 to 40 mil opening. #2 It wont beat Bojack Batman(Logo Batman)that movie will still be #1.

The Gasherman
10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
With a mind to Mike Whelans' awesome illustration of the Crimson King I don't see how they could avoid, or want to not include that character.

Think, Snoke and Kylo Ren

I can see that working. Will be interesting to see what happens with the MIB.

The Gasherman
10-11-2016, 05:17 PM
How well do you guys think this will do at the Box Office? I predict 35 to 40 mil opening. #2 It wont beat Bojack Batman(Logo Batman)that movie will still be #1.

That would be a huge win considering they claim the budget is only $60 million. They are really dragging their heels on the full promo though.

Randall Flagg
10-11-2016, 06:07 PM
It will be lucky to get $15 million. Like a Vegas bookie, I set the over/under at $8.5 million.

BuctherOfTull
10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
All we can do is support it if its good and hope for thr best.

webstar1000
10-12-2016, 03:25 AM
This will open $25K plus in my opinion.... we should do a little DT.org betting... Anyone in pays $20 bucks... have to Haven, the rest to the winner that gets the closest!

bdwyer19
10-12-2016, 04:00 AM
I agree with RF. It'll reach a limited fan base, and as a result will be lucky to finish in the top 5 for the weekend. I can't wait for the movie, but just don't think it's going to do that great at the box office.

webstar1000
10-12-2016, 04:09 AM
I agree with RF. It'll reach a limited fan base, and as a result will be lucky to finish in the top 5 for the weekend. I can't wait for the movie, but just don't think it's going to do that great at the box office.

Don't forget...we have two of the hottest actors in Hollywood right now... IN IT:)

ICry4Oy
10-12-2016, 08:56 AM
I have to admit that I liked the trailer. It actually looks like a good movie. But alas, it is not "my" Dark Tower and it is not "the" Dark Tower. It is just "a" Dark Tower.

BrandoRex
10-12-2016, 06:30 PM
It was a rough cut with no sound that I saw. I could see past most of it and tell that there is some real goodness there but some things bothered me:

1) MIB - He didn't seem to have enough "eldritch"ness to him. I didn't get a sinister vibe about him. Maybe that'll change. I hope so.
2) Guns of Eld - I can't find the trailer again but they seemed to be a break top or side out cylinder. Not too crazy here but the rounds looked really odd. Could have seen this wrong as I only watched it once. I didn't want the roughness to spoil the movie for me but it was kind of exciting to see something unexpected in that area. That's of course assuming they were Roland's.
3) Elba - He really did seem to have a great brooding aurora coming off of him. I get that it's probably one of the things that they keyed in on during casting but it made me feel better. Scott Eastwood would have had me as giddy as a school girl but Idris is good. This picture of him (not from the movie) really drives it home: http://www.nme.com/images/2015IdrisElba_Press_091215.hero.jpg

The one comment: It's not MY tower. I feel that comment. I really do. I don't think any movie that someone else makes will ever compare to the film that rolled in our minds when we read the books. When I reread them, it's like the same film plays again but instead I notice other little details here and there. I guess this will be another tale from the Tower for all of us but never the one we are used to.

Either way, $20 is chump change to get my Tower fix. l've paid more and gotten less before!

Isamu Dyson
10-12-2016, 06:38 PM
It is important to keep in mind that the trailer is two minutes of a supposedly two-and-a-half hour long film.

Personally, I would be taken aback if the entirety of the cinematic experience is whiz-bang action.

--- --- ---

2) Guns of Eld - I can't find the trailer again but they seemed to be a break top or side out cylinder. Not too crazy here but the rounds looked really odd. Could have seen this wrong as I only watched it once. I didn't want the roughness to spoil the movie for me but it was kind of exciting to see something unexpected in that area. That's of course assuming they were Roland's.

They are based on the Remington 1858/New Model Army Revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

Either way, $20 is chump change to get my Tower fix. l've paid more and gotten less before!

For a REGULAR movie ticket? Christ...

BrandoRex
10-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I sure hope it's not all whiz-bang-biff-boom. Far too many movies like that. I want some sweeping, epic cinematography, especially in the desert.

I never take in a regular movie! :P Nowadays, I have a nice enough TV and setup to wait until its available for rental if it's not something special. I'm lucky enough to have an IMAX theater in town (a new one) and typically when I go to the movies I'll watch it there.

Even if you're not at an IMAX (which is usually more than 20 for just the ticket), taking in an early bird movie with popcorn and a drink, you're in the $25 and above range. Take kids? You need a loan.

It's way easier to just wait it out, rent it in HD and be able to eat whatever popcorn food or whatever else. Don't get me wrong, a theater can be a grand experience or even close to a ride but for me, it's not really worth going unless its a real good movie.

Isamu Dyson
10-12-2016, 07:15 PM
My family and I skip the liquids and solids when we go out to see a movie (if we do eat, it's prior to the film itself at an establishment dedicated to serving sustenance). On top of that, there is a particular local theater where you can obtain a ticket with a measly 5 USD if you go during a specific day of the week. You can understand, then, why the act of paying over ten dollars for the price of admittance is tantamount to highway robbery in my mind.

Oh, and, as a bonus, half or fewer than half of the seats have been occupied each time we decided to make the trip and ambient noise isn't an issue.

I do agree with you in that it is often not a worthwhile expenditure of time and money. We see maybe three or four movies a year tops. The Dark Tower made the list way in advance because...how often does such an occasion happen :)?

Kevin
10-12-2016, 08:09 PM
I'd like to chime in with a comment.

There has been a fair amount of people pointing out (bordering on complaining) that this trailer is centered around Jake. I think its important to note what the trailer is "called". Its called "The Outsider." This particular trailer focuses heavily on Jake and his slow decent into Roland's world, just as 'they' the general audience are also being introduced to The Dark Tower/Roland/mid-world for the first time. I have a feeling the next trailer will have a title like "The Gunslinger" or "The Man in Black" and it will focus heavily on Roland or MIB, the 3rd trailer will do the same etc., so we get to know the 3 main players that will be in the movie.

The 2nd trailer will have very little to do with 'our world' at all and will introduce us more to Roland/MIB/Mid-World, and will have more of a tone we are familiar with, and will be the trailer the hardcore fans can sink their teeth into and SQUEEEEEEE about, although some of us already are. :D

It's will be almost like the doors on the beach this way, and I bet the trailers continue to be titled like the doors (The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows, The Pusher).

Its smart for them to start out with Jake because its easier to digest for the general public. Mid-World with all of its odds and ends would be a tough pill to swallow to try and attract an audience if that was the focus of the initial trailer. Its easier for them to start with a trailer that's 80% New York, and tease us a bit with the beast and a bit of shooting and tech-magicry so that people understand there's a little bit more going on, and draw them in.

Kevin
10-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Another comment, there is a voice in the trailer close to the end that says 'He destroys everything he touches.'

It's not Idris, Jake or MIB. It almost sounds like the guy that plays Luke Cage :lol:

Anyone have any insight who's voice/what character that is??

webstar1000
10-13-2016, 03:14 AM
My family and I skip the liquids and solids when we go out to see a movie (if we do eat, it's prior to the film itself at an establishment dedicated to serving sustenance). On top of that, there is a particular local theater where you can obtain a ticket with a measly 5 USD if you go during a specific day of the week. You can understand, then, why the act of paying over ten dollars for the price of admittance is tantamount to highway robbery in my mind.

Oh, and, as a bonus, half or fewer than half of the seats have been occupied each time we decided to make the trip and ambient noise isn't an issue.

I do agree with you in that it is often not a worthwhile expenditure of time and money. We see maybe three or four movies a year tops. The Dark Tower made the list way in advance because...how often does such an occasion happen :)?

I HAVE NO issue paying for a movie that means something to me. I have no issue buying the popcorn and pop too... cause I want the theaters to survive and show movies for the rest of my days. Is it expensive, yes it is. But so is making that movie! If everyone did like you my man... we would not even have the chance to see the DT on the big screen. We have these chances cause they make money... they are a business... and by the sounds of most here.... OUR business is seeing them, so I will support them as much as I can. I see about 10-12 a year. I think we all should:)

Isamu Dyson
10-13-2016, 03:40 AM

I HAVE NO issue paying for a movie that means something to me. I have no issue buying the popcorn and pop too... cause I want the theaters to survive and show movies for the rest of my days. Is it expensive, yes it is. But so is making that movie! If everyone did like you my man... we would not even have the chance to see the DT on the big screen. We have these chances cause they make money... they are a business... and by the sounds of most here.... OUR business is seeing them, so I will support them as much as I can. I see about 10-12 a year. I think we all should:)

*shrugs* If you want to pay full price for a movie ticket in your neck of the woods, feel free to. On the flipside...there's nothing wrong with wanting to be frugal.

(As an aside, should The Dark Tower meet or exceed my expectations, I am also going to pick up the Blu-Ray home video release once that hits the market.)

--- --- ---

https://imgur.com/a/dNLnn#g5gal2s

Iwritecode
10-13-2016, 06:35 AM
I'm just sad that I never got to see this leaked trailer before it vanished from the internet. :(

Ari_Racing
10-13-2016, 06:36 AM
https://www.facebook.com/atorrenegrabr/videos/1237904139617150/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

ICry4Oy
10-13-2016, 07:24 AM

The last movie I saw in a theater was the original Xmen movie. We go to the drive-in a lot though - $7 per person to see 2 movies. Money is not the issue though. I detest movie theaters now. There is no such thing as common courtesy any more. Idiots constantly on their phones during the movie or just running their mouths. I don't plan on ever going to a theater, ever again.

webstar1000
10-13-2016, 07:29 AM

The last movie I saw in a theater was the original Xmen movie. We go to the drive-in a lot though - $7 per person to see 2 movies. Money is not the issue though. I detest movie theaters now. There is no such thing as common courtesy any more. Idiots constantly on their phones during the movie or just running their mouths. I don't plan on ever going to a theater, ever again.

At least your still supporting the movies at the drive ins though. I go to one here locally ($10 a car load) and love it. Popcorn isn't as good though!

Sai Sheb
10-14-2016, 12:24 AM
The trailer looks fucking great (still not sold on Elba) talking about the box office takings I've spoken to loads of people going to see it on the cinema who have only heard about the books but never read them!!! We should all support our local cinema unless they too will be condemned to the past like our local video stores....

Tommy
10-14-2016, 01:05 AM

I get theater rage. Movie theaters are the very last place people should be on their phones. I've nearly gotten into altercations before and I have never in my life been in a physical fight with anyone but something about the blatant disregard of others in the movie theater is unacceptable to me. Now, I try my best to get positioned where people cannot sit in front of me.

As for paying full price, I guess one great thing about SC is how cheap a lot of things are here. Most every movie I see now is at the local discount theater. $2 on the weekend and $1.50 during the week. What's really cool is they will get movies that the regular theaters around here pass on like foreign and independent films. The only thing is I have to wait until the films are out of regular rotation. For instance, I'm going to see Suicide Squad this weekend because they finally got it. For only 2 bucks, it's hard to get angry if the movie truly sucks.

I can see a movie every single weekend for a whole year and only spend about $100. Not too shabby!

I may or may not see TDT at regular price depending on how interested I am when it finally gets here. I hope it's great!

Isamu Dyson
10-14-2016, 05:16 AM
(still not sold on Elba)

Because...?

Girlystevedave
10-14-2016, 06:07 AM
I missed the trailer while it was on the internet. <_<

BuctherOfTull
10-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Yeah only DT fans and Flim buff will see it. But if it's good. The youtubers will get the word out.

Bev Vincent
10-14-2016, 07:24 AM

Yeah only DT fans and Flim buff will see it. But if it's good. The youtubers will get the word out.

I think both Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey (whose name I will some day learn to spell without looking it up) will draw their individual audiences to the feature, too. That's not to be underestimated.

mae
10-14-2016, 07:32 AM
There will be a big audience for this, regardless of name recognition.

webstar1000
10-14-2016, 07:58 AM

100%

fernandito
10-14-2016, 08:20 AM

That would be a huge win considering they claim the budget is only $60 million. They are really dragging their heels on the full promo though.

A opening weekend of $20mil or more would indeed be a Towering (heh) triumph if the budget really is in the $60mil range.

Don't forget...we have two of the hottest actors in Hollywood right now... IN IT:)

Yes, the draw power of the two leads cannot be underestimated.

"Great" is relative. An opening weekend of $25-$30 mil for a Marvel film would be branded a disaster, but for this film it would essentially guarantee a sequel.

I'd like to chime in with a comment.

There has been a fair amount of people pointing out (bordering on complaining) that this trailer is centered around Jake. I think its important to note what the trailer is "called". Its called "The Outsider." This particular trailer focuses heavily on Jake and his slow decent into Roland's world, just as 'they' the general audience are also being introduced to The Dark Tower/Roland/mid-world for the first time. I have a feeling the next trailer will have a title like "The Gunslinger" or "The Man in Black" and it will focus heavily on Roland or MIB, the 3rd trailer will do the same etc., so we get to know the 3 main players that will be in the movie.

The 2nd trailer will have very little to do with 'our world' at all and will introduce us more to Roland/MIB/Mid-World, and will have more of a tone we are familiar with, and will be the trailer the hardcore fans can sink their teeth into and SQUEEEEEEE about, although some of us already are. :D

It's will be almost like the doors on the beach this way, and I bet the trailers continue to be titled like the doors (The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows, The Pusher).

Its smart for them to start out with Jake because its easier to digest for the general public. Mid-World with all of its odds and ends would be a tough pill to swallow to try and attract an audience if that was the focus of the initial trailer. Its easier for them to start with a trailer that's 80% New York, and tease us a bit with the beast and a bit of shooting and tech-magicry so that people understand there's a little bit more going on, and draw them in.

Two additional trailers, each from the POV of Roland and MiB would be genius.

Another comment, there is a voice in the trailer close to the end that says 'He destroys everything he touches.'

It's not Idris, Jake or MIB. It almost sounds like the guy that plays Luke Cage :lol:

Anyone have any insight who's voice/what character that is??
Are you sure it's not Roland? The audio quality is not the best but it sounded like Elba to me. I need to go back and listen to it tho.

Yup. I know I've harped on this before, but the realities of cinema are harsh. Some of us (including myself) wanted unknowns in the role, but in casting two recognizable, award nominated/winning actors you've ensured that the general audience will at least have a baseline interest in the series. Expect the last trailers to heavily feature McConaissance and Elba.

mae
10-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Plus you have a confluence of the currently-all-the-rage genres of YA-ish sci-fi/fantasy and superhero movies, which this fits into pretty well. And of course the names don't hurt. And because everyone loves a franchise and a series nowadays, if you say this is based on a series of novels, even for a non-reader that means "lots of mythology = awesome" (see: current hit television series).

BuctherOfTull
10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Plus you have a confluence of the currently-all-the-rage genres of YA-ish sci-fi/fantasy and superhero movies, which this fits into pretty well. And of course the names don't hurt. And because everyone loves a franchise and a series nowadays, if you say this is based on a series of novels, even for a non-reader that means "lots of mythology = awesome" (see: current hit television series).

Yeah plus people will be surprised that it is from Stephan King who is mostly only known for horror.