PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Roland of Gilead 33
03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
actually when it comes to sports going back a couple of pages, the talk about Ted Williams, i get what you are saying, but what i hate is when the indians sucked in the 80's if you are a die hard fan there and they came back after that stupid ass retarded strike. you had the same people who hated them now love them. stuff like that drives me nuts. when you create a character that is clearly white it should stay that color. kinda like in DJango or however that's spelled? let's cast Jamie Fox wasn't it? though i still haven't seen it. so i'm not cracking on the film or even the casting as i've been a fan of his since his In Living Color days over 20 years ago. but he played a white character and making him a slave was really stupid considering the original set of films had he was a white dude and if it's suppose to be a sequel which i don't see at all. it takes a lot away. casting A Black Roland as many of said and than when Odetta and later Susannah have to deal being with 2 white guys, Racism is a big part in Drawing of the three. and unless they make Susannah White which also would be stupid as hell.

it hurts the story i think. i may not have explained that the way i wanted to but others have said it better than me i'm sure. in fact i know others have, it has nothing against the actor at all. Roland Should be a white dude. and i hate the fact they changed the race. who knows i may love the film and it may not hurt the series at all! it really depends on how it's written of course and i am excited for the film to come out next year. there are certain films of kings i want to see made and for a long time it was The Stand. i can't remember if i read the book 1st or saw the film but that's my favorite King book and i love the film, they left stuff out of that one but it is a long ass book. i could list others i'd love to see made but i'm not going to cause the post would be even longer than it already is. he he i have wanted to see the Dark Tower made into a series of films for years. and for a long time i don't think they could do that except maybe the 1st book and possibly the 2nd one. cause the tools and shit weren't around at the time. and now it is, i also have been wanting to have a Dark Tower set of video games as well. on hopefully the systems i do own and have it a be a great game and not an impossible game for me to beat either.

like many games are for me to beat that are out. i do hope they announce more of the cast soon cause 7 weeks is not that long off and it's only got 2 names that are certain and one that said rumored for a character i don't even remember even being in the series. was she?

Lookwhoitis
03-05-2016, 07:25 PM
That's excellent news. I don't know how Feb is for movies but Jan is the wasteland where they send movies they have no faith in. Moving it back is a good sign.

It would have been a better sign if they had moved it forward to December. If they did that, it would be an indication that the production studio believes that it has a shot at picking up Oscar nominations....

:emot-roflolmao:

Lookwhoitis
03-05-2016, 07:26 PM
If they can release it somewhere in December, that gets Elba possible consideration for a pity nomination to make up for this year's screwjob...so it actually wouldn't shock me. Surprise me? Yes. Shock? No.

Idris Elba does not need a pity nomination. His performance in Beasts of No Nation received critical acclaim and demonstrated that he's more than capable of receiving Academy recognition based on his talent alone.

It's too bad the Academy is not producing this film... :D

Brian861
03-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I really love the casting of Mathew as the MIB

What!!?? Another MIB movie!!?? I hope Mathew is playing the old Tommy Lee Jones role (K I think it was?). If he's playing Will Smith's role, then the whole goddamn universe is going to fold inward upon itself because Smith's role is clearly a black one; I saw it myself! Right up there on the screen!! Oh Lord, I pray they don't fuck this up :panic::sweat_002::frown1::wink1::eek::rolleyes1:: mad1:

Brainslinger
03-06-2016, 03:49 AM

What!!?? Another MIB movie!!?? I hope Mathew is playing the old Tommy Lee Jones role (K I think it was?). If he's playing Will Smith's role, then the whole goddamn universe is going to fold inward upon itself because Smith's role is clearly a black one; I saw it myself! Right up there on the screen!! Oh Lord, I pray they don't fuck this up :panic::sweat_002::frown1::wink1::eek::rolleyes1:: mad1:

Heh heh! Times like this I wish the forum had a 'like' button like Facebook.

I just spent a good while typing out a my thoughts in the casting of Idris and potential plot elements only to hit the wrong thing on my tablet and lose it all. So annoying ! Aaah! I should have used my laptop instead.

Anyway, I can't be bothered again right now. Maybe later, but I'm probably just rehashing what has been said by others anyway.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-06-2016, 03:54 AM

That just made my day! LOL! LOL! :emot-roflolmao:

Rep points sent. :thumbsup:

T-Dogz_AK47
03-06-2016, 04:00 AM

The 'Reputation' feature is similar to the 'like' button on Facebook. There is a star symbol at the bottom of each member's profile. Press on that to add reputation points for their post. :smile:

herbertwest
03-06-2016, 04:26 AM
Sony moves release dates for The Dark Tower, Bad Boys 3, and Barbie

Sony Pictures has announced a slight shuffle in their 2017 release schedule, moving around the release dates for three of their upcoming features.

The Dark Tower, which it was recently revealed will begin production in seven weeks in South Africa, has moved from its original release date of January 13, 2017 to February 17, 2017. An adaptation of the Stephen King novel series, the film will open against Universal Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ The Great Wall and 20th Century Fox’s Maze Runner: The Death Cure. Nikolaj Arcel will direct the film which stars Idris Elba as Roland “The Gunslinger” Deschain and Matthew McConaughey as the evil Man in black.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/663479-sony-shifts-release-dates-for-the-dark-tower-bad-boys-3-and-barbie#KJw5rAWVxuKXJrwP.99

17th february of 2017

I wonder if that is a coincidence or if the number 17 will have a significant meaning... Replacing 19 maybe?

Rahfa
03-06-2016, 05:10 AM
If they can release it somewhere in December, that gets Elba possible consideration for a pity nomination to make up for this year's screwjob...so it actually wouldn't shock me. Surprise me? Yes. Shock? No.

Idris Elba does not need a pity nomination. His performance in Beasts of No Nation received critical acclaim and demonstrated that he's more than capable of receiving Academy recognition based on his talent alone.

Of course he doesn't need a pity nomination - that's the point.

You know how the Oscars work...they screw you one year and then nominate/award you for a movie that probably doesn't deserve it to make up for when they didn't give it to you.

Al Pacino = Scent of a Woman instead of Serpico or Godfather
Denzel = Training Day instead of Malcolm X
etc etc

So if the DT movie is legit, and released at a festival in 2016, then maybe the voters nominate Elba for the role even if he probably doesn't deserve it for THIS role because he deserved it for THAT role.

Bev Vincent
03-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Given the fact that production isn't starting until April, I don't think they would have considered moving up the release date any. I also don't think that Academy Award nominations are on their radar -- this isn't the kind of movie that gets nominated for anything but technical awards, in my opinion.

mtdman
03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Given the fact that production isn't starting until April, I don't think they would have considered moving up the release date any. I also don't think that Academy Award nominations are on their radar -- this isn't the kind of movie that gets nominated for anything but technical awards, in my opinion.

Exactly.

mtdman
03-06-2016, 10:03 AM
That's excellent news. I don't know how Feb is for movies but Jan is the wasteland where they send movies they have no faith in. Moving it back is a good sign.

It would have been a better sign if they had moved it forward to December. If they did that, it would be an indication that the production studio believes that it has a shot at picking up Oscar nominations....

If you think this movie will win an Oscar for anything, you're kidding yourself. Moving it to December would put it in competition with Rogue One, and after Ep VII crushed it last December I expect Rogue One to do so as well this December. Moving it to Feb when nothing is going on helps it to make more $$.

I never said it would win, I said it could have a chance of being nominated. Considering Nikolaj Arcel has already received an Oscar Nomination for Best Foreign Film in 2012 and won several Silver Bear awards at the Berlin International Film Festival, he has the proven ability as a Director to create something worthy of further Oscar attention.

Also, Oscar worthy films don't give a fuck about going up against trash like Episode VII in December. They appeal to a completely different demographic.

LOL @ "Oscar worthy film". This is not going to be an Oscar worthy film, and the studio is more worried about this movie making them lots of $$ than winning an Oscar. Lol at you believing this movie is in the 'demographic' of 'Oscar worthy films'.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
LOL @ "Oscar worthy film". This is not going to be an Oscar worthy film, and the studio is more worried about this movie making them lots of $$ than winning an Oscar. Lol at you believing this movie is in the 'demographic' of 'Oscar worthy films'.

LOL @ your dismissive attitude to Stephen King film adaptations ever receiving Oscar nominations....

Carrie, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.... Oops nevermind eh? :rolleyes:

Brian861
03-06-2016, 10:31 AM
[That just made my day! LOL! LOL! :emot-roflolmao: Rep points sent. :thumbsup:

Thanks! And returned as well, my friend :).

I'm pretty much over this whole thing yet I keep coming back for more and more. The books will be the books; the movie the movie. I felt strongly against it at first but now I'm really intrigued to see what they do with it. And as far as the black/white thing. Folks will just say, "Roland was white in the books and it's a totally different deal than the movie altogether". Folks that have knowledge of both that is. As I've said before, hopefully the film will get folks to pick up the books and King's fan base will increase. Especially when the 'newbies' learn how many books actually relate to TDT. I'd strongly recommend to read all the related books first then start on the series to a new reader. With all the material out there and ready to go, I think that would be a helluva literary journey. Maybe one even us lifelong fans should embark on.......Ka is a wheel after all :).

Brian861
03-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Oops, I've already 'Repped" you out for now T-Dogz!

CyberGhostface
03-06-2016, 11:47 AM
LOL @ your dismissive attitude to Stephen King film adaptations ever receiving Oscar nominations....

Carrie, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.... Oops nevermind eh? :rolleyes:

It's not impossible, it's just very rare. Genre films by and large are overlooked by major awards even if they deserve it. Two of those films have no supernatural elements and two are viewed as 'inspiring' stories which focus on human drama.

Even if DT is a masterpiece that type of film is going to be overlooked by the Oscars in favor of a period drama about some British guy with a disability.

Lookwhoitis
03-06-2016, 12:05 PM

If you think this movie will win an Oscar for anything, you're kidding yourself. Moving it to December would put it in competition with Rogue One, and after Ep VII crushed it last December I expect Rogue One to do so as well this December. Moving it to Feb when nothing is going on helps it to make more $$.

I never said it would win, I said it could have a chance of being nominated. Considering Nikolaj Arcel has already received an Oscar Nomination for Best Foreign Film in 2012 and won several Silver Bear awards at the Berlin International Film Festival, he has the proven ability as a Director to create something worthy of further Oscar attention.

Also, Oscar worthy films don't give a fuck about going up against trash like Episode VII in December. They appeal to a completely different demographic.

In addition to it not going to be an Oscar worthy film, it is most probably going to be a dog's breakfast!

Rahfa
03-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Ian McKellan was nominated for LOTR for Best Supporting Actor, so point, set, match as far as that argument goes. ANY movie can pull off the shock Oscar nomination (not win, nomination) when things break the right way.

If you call Star Wars VIII "trash" than you're not actually arguing the point - you're just lashing out at one group of fanboys because you're another type of fanboy. It's silly and doesn't help your argument.

If the studio was "worried" about the movie making money, they wouldn't make the movie - they obviously think it will be successful. Elba, Matt M., etc., didn't sign on to fail. That's the gamble.

Brainslinger
03-06-2016, 12:36 PM

The 'Reputation' feature is similar to the 'like' button on Facebook. There is a star symbol at the bottom of each member's profile. Press on that to add reputation points for their post. :smile:

Thanks! I've been coming here off and on for years and never knew about that. Please accept a star in return!

CyberGhostface
03-06-2016, 01:13 PM
If the studio was "worried" about the movie making money, they wouldn't make the movie - they obviously think it will be successful. Elba, Matt M., etc., didn't sign on to fail. That's the gamble.

Or they'll accommodate the budget to match expectations. I.E. 'The Mist' only had a budget of 20 million. Looking at the Wikipedia article it appears that the DT movie has had similar concerns with Universal reducing the budget before dropping it entirely.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Ian McKellan was nominated for LOTR for Best Supporting Actor, so point, set, match as far as that argument goes. ANY movie can pull off the shock Oscar nomination (not win, nomination) when things break the right way.

Most people probably didn't think a Mad Max film would receive a single Oscar nomination, let alone it actually winning six.

If you call Star Wars VIII "trash" than you're not actually arguing the point - you're just lashing out at one group of fanboys because you're another type of fanboy. It's silly and doesn't help your argument.

I was not lashing out at a group of fanboys, I was merely replying to another comment that specifically mentioned Episode VII as a reason why The Gunslinger could not be released during the month of December. I am actually a fan of Star Wars, but IMHO, I thought Episode VII was trash and certainly not the movie that other film's should be scared of competing against.

In 1999, George Lucas thought he had the month of May completely sewn up with Episode I The Phantom Menace. Warner Bros had other ideas and released The Matrix at the same time. Not only did The Matrix out perform Episode I at the box office, it went on to win four Oscars.

Randall Flagg
03-06-2016, 01:57 PM

And "Stand By Me" (The Body).
Bates won best actress for Misery.

Rahfa
03-06-2016, 03:29 PM
In 1999, George Lucas thought he had the month of May completely sewn up with Episode I The Phantom Menace. Warner Bros had other ideas and released The Matrix at the same time. Not only did The Matrix out perform Episode I at the box office, it went on to win four Oscars.

We actually agree on Idris Elba so I feel sort of bad doing this to you.

Phantom Menace made $431 million to Matrix $171 million. Menace has made a billion dollars.

Matrix came out on March 31, seven weeks before Star Wars.

Yes, it did win four Oscars.

The impressive thing about "Mad Max" was not the six wins as much as George Miller being - rightfully - nominated for director. Oh, and I could add Scorcese for "The Departed" to my "make-up award" list of earlier. Good movie, sure, but it was no "Goodfellas."

Rahfa
03-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Or they'll accommodate the budget to match expectations. I.E. 'The Mist' only had a budget of 20 million. Looking at the Wikipedia article it appears that the DT movie has had similar concerns with Universal reducing the budget before dropping it entirely.

But then you don't get Elba AND Matt M. That's why "The Mist" had Thomas Jane.

Those are two superstar actors who take marquee, franchise parts - now, it could be a bust, but when those actors sign on it's because they THINK they're hitching their wagon to a star.

You're right about the budget not being $150 million, but this isn't a straight-to-video either...not with those two stars.

Brian861
03-06-2016, 04:12 PM
I really love the casting of Mathew as the MIB. I think it's perfect... Same reservations as all you on Iris of course... I will reserve judgement when the first trailer comes out. I do however hate that I have read they might skip the frost two books? That will totally suck.... Big time. I hope they do multiple movies and the season or two of TV. In fact... Just doing "a al" Game of Thrones would have been perfect... Time shall tell all....... Time shall tell....

Wasn't baggin' on your post, Kris. Just wanted to let ya know that publicly. Yours just opened up a window for my smartassness with the whole 'race' thing :).

CyberGhostface
03-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Those are two superstar actors who take marquee, franchise parts - now, it could be a bust, but when those actors sign on it's because they THINK they're hitching their wagon to a star.

You're right about the budget not being $150 million, but this isn't a straight-to-video either...not with those two stars.

Idris Elba is not a superstar actor. I'd say he has a good chance of being one but he's not a marquee name by a long shot -- he's appeared in some big films but usually in supporting roles.

Matthew McConaughey is more of one lately with Interstellar but he's still a guy who does a lot of independent films over big budget affairs. 'Dallas Buyers Club' cost five million to make and made 27 million domestically for example (which is a big success given how cheap it was made for but it wasn't exactly a blockbuster based on his star power).

Rahfa
03-06-2016, 05:20 PM

Idris Elba is not a superstar actor. I'd say he has a good chance of being one but he's not a marquee name by a long shot -- he's appeared in some big films but usually in supporting roles.

Matthew McConaughey is more of one lately with Interstellar but he's still a guy who does a lot of independent films over big budget affairs. 'Dallas Buyers Club' cost five million to make and made 27 million domestically for example (which is a big success given how cheap it was made for but it wasn't exactly a blockbuster based on his star power).

Well - that's true on both counts.

I should have put it this way - both Elba and Matt are interested in building and protecting their personal brand. So for both of them this is a chance to be in a major franchise with long-term potential, and both could be hurt getting saddled with a bomb (especially Elba).

On the other hand, if you're Elba, those franchise-helming chances are going to be fairly rare, so he has to jump at the first big opportunity and take the risk...more than Matt would.

What it comes back around too is that these guys aren't Thomas Jane, or the unknown Kathy Bates and a career-on-the-downswing James Caan. They expect this to be a legit movie with long-term potential. But you're right that they're big stars, but not superstars.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-06-2016, 07:11 PM
one wonders how many years it will be until the last one is released? lol i'm 37 now and i wonder if it'll be near 50 or 50 years old when all of it is said and done if it makes the kind of money i think it will. sorry that was just me thinking aloud folks. anyways i also do forget about the Rep button as well. and yes i have used it in the past i just don't use it enough to be honest. as for the Oscars just cause it won't be for the (2017) oscars doesn't mean it won't be for (2018)'s as well. oh sorry about my shitty spelling. lol anyways, i hope they announce who else is going to be in the film soon cause i dunno about you folks but i am dying to know.

and i'm excited as hell for this to come out. now we need for them to Finish off the Narnia films which still hasn't been finished in the 11 years it's been since that one was started. at least work has started on the next one i forget which stage it's at i think it's just on the screenplay being written but i forget. i mention that series cause one wonders how long it takes for these series when they start one. what drives me nuts is cause the 1st one flops doesn't mean the next one will. i forget which Phillip K. Dick film they did that was going to have sequels but the film did shitty when it came out and the film wasn't that bad either that it never got made. and it pisses me off because Christopher Lee was in a small part in it and had the 2nd film been made his part would have been huge and this was before he fell a couple years later on the set of i forget which film.

so i hope when they start the DT series they actually finish it

AIMB
03-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Are we really going to try and act like the racial dynamic between Roland and "Detta" wasn't one of the weakest points of the books?
It needs to be cut anyways imo. It was never something I enjoyed or learned from.
It is not a valid argument against Idris. We all want Roland to look like our specific Roland in our mind.
Give Idris a chance. He is a talented actor...
Be happy they are putting money and relevant actors in it.........

AIMB
03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
And secondly....

Chill on judging all the changes. We will always have the books.

Hopefully they will take a note from The Force Awakens and Deadpool........... and write for the superfans AND the newcomers.

They aren't going to make something completely unconsumable to casual viewers.

Movies aren't books.......Deal with it.

CyberGhostface
03-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Are we really going to try and act like the racial dynamic between Roland and "Detta" wasn't one of the weakest points of the books?
It needs to be cut anyways imo. It was never something I enjoyed or learned from.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean others didn't find it effective. As far as being one of the weakest elements it doesn't hold a candle to King writing himself into the series or anything involving Sir Mordred Poopingpants.

AIMB
03-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean others didn't find it effective. As far as being one of the weakest elements it doesn't hold a candle to King writing himself into the series or anything involving Sir Mordred Poopingpants.

bahahhahah okay you got me........weakest elements in the earlier books then.

CyberGhostface
03-07-2016, 09:46 AM
"He gave out a victory-fart, but although this one was long and smelly, it was silent. His asshole was now a broken squeezebox that could no longer make music but only gasp."

Steinbeck would be proud. I'm boycotting if they don't include this.

mattgreenbean
03-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Roland and Detta's racial tension isn't a "weak point" in the books. It leads to them having a very deep and meaningful connection that lasts to the very end. It also leads to her being able to love Eddie. King's books aren't best sellers because of the framework, but because of the believable characters that he breaths life into.

Jake's getting changed. Eddie's up next. Poor Oy might be left out bc he's a "weak point."

Randall Flagg
03-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Perhaps we flip the race issue and have Yolandi Visser as Detta:

https://media.giphy.com/media/8G7iXykpCaiEo/giphy.gif

Brian861
03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Perhaps we flip the race issue and have Yolandi Visser as Detta:

https://media.giphy.com/media/8G7iXykpCaiEo/giphy.gif

/Mia. It could work

Being one of multiple personalities; she could be white on the outside, black on the inside and perceive Idris as white. Maybe I'm reaching.....

T-Dogz_AK47
03-07-2016, 10:08 AM
"He gave out a victory-fart, but although this one was long and smelly, it was silent. His asshole was now a broken squeezebox that could no longer make music but only gasp."

Steinbeck would be proud. I'm boycotting if they don't include this.

If that's not in the movie, I will riot! :onfire::panic::shoot::emot-flame:

Brian861
03-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Better make this one rated "R" boys and girls.

fernandito
03-07-2016, 11:25 AM
So which actor do we all want for Eddie? Jake? Sus?

mae
03-07-2016, 11:28 AM
I was kinda thinking watching the Oscars that Eddie Redmayne would make a great Eddie. There's no way, though.

webstar1000
03-07-2016, 11:29 AM
If Roland is black... would you guys prefer Suzanna to be white... AND maybe Detta black?

CyberGhostface
03-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Part of me thinks Aaron Paul but at this point I think people would just see him as Jesse given how similar they might seem to newcomers.

I think Rutina Wesley would still work as Susannah.

Jake, no idea. One of the kids from Super 8 maybe but they're too old now.

wolfehr
03-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Sources: Aaron Paul cast in Stephen King's The Dark Tower film (http://www.blastr.com/2016-3-7/sources-aaron-paul-cast-stephen-kings-dark-tower-film)

Lookwhoitis
03-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Sources: Aaron Paul cast in Stephen King's The Dark Tower film (http://www.blastr.com/2016-3-7/sources-aaron-paul-cast-stephen-kings-dark-tower-film)

Whoa! Two out of three aint bad! :D

Now they just need to Lock down Jacob Tremblay for Jake

Lookwhoitis
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I think Rutina Wesley would still work as Susannah.

Nahhh she's black... :cool_002:

Lookwhoitis
03-07-2016, 05:05 PM
If Roland is black... would you guys prefer Suzanna to be white... AND maybe Detta black?

trainwreck

Johnny Alien
03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Whoa! Two out of three aint bad! :D

Now they just need to Lock down Jacob Tremblay for Jake

I have said this before but there is no way they will cast someone that is under 12. I believe even the casting call posted earlier showed they were aging Jake up.

fernandito
03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Hmm idk... I love Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad is my all time favorite show), but this casting is a little too on the nose, no?

I mean he'd pretty much just be playing Jesse Pinkman.

Br!an
03-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Considering the spot-on casting of Idris Elba as Roland???:wtf:

webstar1000
03-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Considering the spot-on casting of Idris Elba as Roland???:wtf:

Lol they didn't read the books eh? I had a good laugh at that too.

Isamu Dyson
03-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Isn't Paul a bit old for the role?

Bev Vincent
03-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Isn't Paul a bit old for the role?

This is an unconfirmed rumor -- and one that is vague enough that there's no definite role associated with it, though speculation has taken off in 100 different directions at the same time.

Shannon
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Jacob Tremblay is PERFECT casting. Absolutely fantastic actor.

mtdman
03-08-2016, 06:55 PM
I can get behind Aaron Paul as Eddie.

I think it would be fantastic if Susannah was white, but her personality was black. Oh boy that would be great to see a white woman playing a black woman arguing with Idris Elba as Roland about race relations. Whoo hoo. Makes my head spin.

On a serious note, part of the relations Roland has with his ka tet is that they both love him and hate him at the same time. Eddie loves him like his older brother and will do anything for him, but at the same time hates him because of his callousness towards the group. Susanna loves Roland as her leader, the man that brought her to meet Eddie and combined her into one person, but hates him as a honkey mother fucker. Jake loves him as a father, but mistrusts him because he let Jake die once already. It's very complicated. It would be a shame to see that lost in the movie.

Finally, if anyone actually thinks that movie studios set their release dates without regards to when other movies come out, they are kidding themselves. If the studio wants TDT to be a big movie and make lots of $$, they would be morons to release it at the same time as the Rogue One movie in December, regardless to 'Oscar considerations' (Lol). Ep VII destroyed the box office last December. If you don't think that affected other movies, ask Quentin Tarintino what that movie did to H8 and his box office. He couldn't get his movie into theaters because of Ep VII. January and February are traditional dead months for movies. Releasing TDT during those months, before the big summer comic book movies and blockbusters come out, and after Star Wars has had its holiday run, is a great strategy. It will have no competition and should be able to make $$, if it isn't a piece of garbage.

Although, if the Oscars don't want to be so white in the future, a best actor nod to Alba for Roland wouldn't be that surprising. But in that case, it wouldn't much matter how good the role was, just that it was filling a quota for minority nominations.

Lookwhoitis
03-08-2016, 07:14 PM
a best actor nod to Alba for Roland wouldn't be that surprising. But in that case, it wouldn't much matter how good the role was, just that it was filling a quota for minority nominations.

I think Jessica Alba could pull off the Gunslinger... Heck she was good as the invisible woman right? She sure got robbed of the Oscar nom for that role... Perhaps they will give her the make-up Oscar for this one!

Think of how many asses that hot little actor could put in the seats! :drool:

:D

Bev Vincent
03-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Apparently, Mr. Paul is intrigued by the rumor:

@aaronpaul_8: Dear *@StephenKing‬,
How goes it my friend? So, about these Dark Tower rumors. What are your thoughts? Could you put in a good word for me?
Ap

Bev Vincent
03-09-2016, 05:06 AM
And got this reply!

@StephenKing: *@aaronpaul_8‬ Indeed I will. I'm a big fan.

Rahfa
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Although, if the Oscars don't want to be so white in the future, a best actor nod to Alba for Roland wouldn't be that surprising. But in that case, it wouldn't much matter how good the role was, just that it was filling a quota for minority nominations.

That's how the Oscars work - that's why Scorcese wins for "Departed," which was a moderately entertaining remake of a moderately original Hong Kong action movie and featured moderately interesting acting by a couple of actors and a moderate job of overacting by one other - it wasn't the best directed movie that year - City of Men was, but obviously Scorcese had to get an Oscar, just like Leonardo got one this year for a movie that didn't require acting as much as looking beat up for two hours. He deserved it for Inception more than this one.

It's not about a quota as much as "we couldn't have you win for this one, so we'll have you win for that one." It's funny that nobody ever looks at the awards from white performers as a quota, but they're obviously sometimes presented in a way to make up for people being overlooked in the past.

Bev Vincent
03-10-2016, 11:31 AM
‘Dark Tower’ Taps Newcomer Tom Taylor for Jake Chambers Role (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/dark-tower-tom-taylor-chambers-1201727356/)

Sources tell Variety that Taylor won the role after a worldwide search to find the young actor who would serve as Roland Deschain’s (Elba) protege in the upcoming films.

The role would mark Taylor’s largest to date, having previously appeared in the British television series “Doctor Foster” in a recurring role.

wolfehr
03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
‘Dark Tower’ Taps Newcomer Tom Taylor for Jake Chambers Role (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/dark-tower-tom-taylor-chambers-1201727356/)

Sources tell Variety that Taylor won the role after a worldwide search to find the young actor who would serve as Roland Deschain’s (Elba) protege in the upcoming films.

The role would mark Taylor’s largest to date, having previously appeared in the British television series “Doctor Foster” in a recurring role.

This is supposedly his audition tape... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4mqZnnSi0g

He doesn't really look like the pictures I can find of Tom Taylor, so probably not real.

Johnny Alien
03-10-2016, 12:52 PM
That doesn't look like the same kid. I sure hope not because that kid is awful.

Sai Sheb
03-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Woeful!

fernandito
03-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm worried about the possible casting of Abbey Lee as "Tirana".

Multiple sources classify it as either a Major or Lead role... could they possible be thinking about turning Odetta into Tirana?

Iwritecode
03-10-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm worried about the possible casting of Abbey Lee as "Tirana".

Multiple sources classify it as either a Major or Lead role... could they possible be thinking about turning Odetta into Tirana?

I can only imagine that she'll have a much more expanded role than she did in the book and that they'll possibly introduce Blue Heaven in the first movie in order to explain the back story of the tower, the beams and the breakers.

Steve
03-10-2016, 02:05 PM
I suspect that Abbey Lee is playing the Allie character from Tull with a different, more unique name.

Also, keep in mind that it's likely this is going to be

a different cycle than the novels, so there can be liberties taken.

That's actually what I'd prefer. Rather than swearing 100% fealty to the source material, I'd like to see them play around with convention. Hell, if they can come up with a better resolution for the Man in Black than what the books did, I'm all for it.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Finally, if anyone actually thinks that movie studios set their release dates without regards to when other movies come out, they are kidding themselves. If the studio wants TDT to be a big movie and make lots of $$, they would be morons to release it at the same time as the Rogue One movie in December, regardless to 'Oscar considerations' (Lol). Ep VII destroyed the box office last December. If you don't think that affected other movies, ask Quentin Tarintino what that movie did to H8 and his box office. He couldn't get his movie into theaters because of Ep VII. January and February are traditional dead months for movies. Releasing TDT during those months, before the big summer comic book movies and blockbusters come out, and after Star Wars has had its holiday run, is a great strategy. It will have no competition and should be able to make $$, if it isn't a piece of garbage.

20th Century Fox didn't have any qualms with releasing The Revenant on 25th December 2015, only 1 week after Disney released The Force Awakens, and it certainly didn't damage its ability to make $$$ either. The Revenant made $431.9 million at the box office, was nominated for 12 Oscars and won 3. That's because as I said before, it's all a matter of demographics. The audience targeted with The Force Awakens is completely different to that of The Revenant, which is why the two films could be released so close to each other.

As far as The Hateful Eight is concerned, Tarantino did not have trouble getting the movie into theaters - he had trouble getting the movie into a specific theater, The Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles, which was already allocated to The Force Awakens.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hateful-eight-star-wars-force-awakens-arclight-theater-fight-1201668018/ (http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hateful-eight-star-wars-force-awakens-arclight-theater-fight-1201668018/)

In the UK, three cinema chains refused to screen The Hateful Eight because of a disagreement with the film distributor and the movie's 70mm presentation. This had nothing to do with The Force Awakens.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/05/the-hateful-eight-quentin-tarantino-not-showing-cineworld-picturehouse (http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/05/the-hateful-eight-quentin-tarantino-not-showing-cineworld-picturehouse)

January and February are dead months for movies for one simple reason. People don't go to the cinema. Expendable income is at an all time low for the majority of cinemagoers after the Christmas holiday period and kids are back at school. If a studio is aiming to make mega $$$, they release blockbuster movies during holiday periods and when kids are off school: Easter, Summer, Christmas. If a studio wants to make an artistic and 'Oscar worthy' film they traditionally will aim for a November/December release so that it's fresh in the minds of those making the Oscar nominations in January.

Studios release movies in dead months like January, February and September simply to act as space fillers between big films. The fact that The Gunslinger has been allocated a January release does not bode well for it's overall quality as either a blockbuster or an artistic 'Oscar worthy' film.

If the studio has little faith in it's own creation then what faith should we have in it? Personally, I smell a turkey cooking.... :doh:

Lookwhoitis
03-10-2016, 03:28 PM
. could they possible be thinking about turning Odetta into Tirana?

If that happens that is the worst possible outcome...

Rahfa
03-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Studios release movies in dead months like January, February and September simply to act as space fillers between big films. The fact that The Gunslinger has been allocated a January release does not bode well for it's overall quality as either a blockbuster or an artistic 'Oscar worthy' film.

If the studio has little faith in it's own creation then what faith should we have in it? Personally, I smell a turkey cooking.... :doh:

As much as I wish I could argue this point, you're not wrong.

It's not that movies in Jan-Feb are stiffs but you're right that they avoid the biggest competition that way...which is not a sign of confidence.

mtdman
03-11-2016, 01:10 AM
9 months is not very long to film a movie and turn it around to get it in theaters. That leaves little time for cgi and post production work. I'm not sure what that means.

I would not be surprised to see it bumped further back again.

Isamu Dyson
03-11-2016, 05:02 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sonys-dark-tower-finds-jake-874233

Edit: Whoops. The news was broken further up thread. Feel free to disregard the hyperlink I posted.

fernandito
03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen any of his work but he looks very much like the way I pictured Jake in my mind.

I would not be surprised to see it bumped further back again.

Me either..

Sai Sheb
03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Looks like him but it ain't him.... But with how much they
Are changing the story I don't think I know jake 'john' chambers myself!

mattgreenbean
03-11-2016, 09:49 AM
I have seen that the remake of The Magnificent Seven is supposed to come out Jan as well. With lots of big names. Wonder if that's still happening and how it will impact TDT?

Merlin1958
03-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Interesting stuff here......

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74563

fernandito
03-11-2016, 04:35 PM
So, what of The Gunslinger book does make it? The showdown in Tull takes up most of the first act and Roland's reluctant bonding with Jake is most of the second act, but is done is a much different way than the book.

Interesting, so they are planning on keeping in there.

Rahfa
03-11-2016, 06:14 PM
If I removed "The Dark Tower" from that story I would not want to see that movie.

Girlystevedave
03-11-2016, 07:07 PM
But wait, this still makes sense. Starting out with Jake in his world isn't all that wrong if they're basically playing out what Jake was going through (struggling with the possibility of other worlds, searching for doors, etc.) while we were reading about everything that Roland was experiencing during Drawing of the Three. Who's to say the movie won't jump between the two story lines until the moment where Jake finally gets pulled back into Roland's world? And THEN the movie may reveal the relationship between Roland and Jake as experienced in The Gunslinger (flashbacks perhaps?). This could work. I'm still hopeful.

Isamu Dyson
03-11-2016, 10:18 PM
I have seen that the remake of The Magnificent Seven is supposed to come out Jan as well.

"The Dark Tower" has been pushed forward to February 17th.

Sai Sheb
03-11-2016, 10:50 PM
If they start off with jake going through his 'blain is a pain' moment, they have to miss
Out the way station! If just wouldn't fit into the story later...
The more I read the less I like this!!!!!

Merlin1958
03-11-2016, 11:23 PM
As stated by someone else up thread, I can fully understand them rearranging events for a film other than the book depicted. It makes a lot of sense continuity wise in a feature film as opposed to the novels. As the guy from AICN says, as long as they stick to the bulk of the tale and develop the characters properly they have an opportunity to hit a home run.

Especially since the "Horn" will be introduced. Though that makes me think as to how they may reference the fact that he didn't have it the first (19th) time through. Maybe that will be reserved for the book fans?

Sai Sheb
03-11-2016, 11:35 PM
But if it starts with jake, where's the "and the gunslinger followed"?
If they miss the way station they means they miss the first 'orical' which has a later
Impact.... Sorry! I'm just not convinced.

Merlin1958
03-11-2016, 11:43 PM
But if it starts with jake, where's the "and the gunslinger followed"?
If they miss the way station they means they miss the first 'orical' which has a later
Impact.... Sorry! I'm just not convinced.

I know what you mean, but with just about any, King film you have to place a bit of faith in the "adaption". His books generally do not translate well to film. They are going to have to make a deal with the Devil or two. I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude toward it. Hopefully, I (we) will be rewarded.

Sai Sheb
03-11-2016, 11:52 PM
When they made the 'green mile' and 'Shawshank redemption'
They were word for eird and it worked perfectly! I'll just keep my fingers crossed and
Hope like hell I'm not disappointed!!! I've waited a long time for this!

Rahfa
03-12-2016, 06:29 AM
But wait, this still makes sense. Starting out with Jake in his world isn't all that wrong if they're basically playing out what Jake was going through (struggling with the possibility of other worlds, searching for doors, etc.) while we were reading about everything that Roland was experiencing during Drawing of the Three. Who's to say the movie won't jump between the two story lines until the moment where Jake finally gets pulled back into Roland's world? And THEN the movie may reveal the relationship between Roland and Jake as experienced in The Gunslinger (flashbacks perhaps?). This could work. I'm still hopeful.

Some version of that could work, you're right.

CyberGhostface
03-12-2016, 10:20 AM
They were word for eird and it worked perfectly! I'll just keep my fingers crossed and

In both of those cases we had Frank Darabont at the helm... who offered to do this, and King said no.

Lovejoygirl14
03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
My brother is super disappointed with how the film is going to t read the books personally but he absolutely loved them and he called me and we had a very passionate discussion about George r r Martin getting big money to do game of thrones but King really never gets his books justified in film.

Sai Sheb
03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Why would he say no? Do you think King is going a little senile in his old age!

CyberGhostface
03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Why would he say no? Do you think King is going a little senile in his old age!

“Frank did come to me, and I know Frank from before either one of us had a pot to piss in. Frank said, ‘Gee, I’d like to do Dark Tower.’ I said, ‘Frank, give me a break! You’ve got The Mist, The Monkey. You’ve got the prison stories. … Stop putting so much on your plate!'”

http://www.slashfilm.com/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/

Sai Sheb
03-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Well, that's put me back in my box!
Guess I'm just a little scared hiwcits gonna turn out!

CyberGhostface
03-12-2016, 10:36 AM
I guess we'll see how it turns but IMO King turning down Darabont might just rank after Sir Mordred Poopingpants as one of his most harebrained creative decisions ever.

Bev Vincent
03-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Darabont made many more changes to Shawshank than you might realize at first. It feels like a word-for-word adaptation, but it isn't.

Sai Sheb
03-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Hell! I'll have to read it again... Its been a while.

Br!an
03-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Hell! I'll have to read it again... Its been a while.

It doesn't take long.

Sai Sheb
03-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Once you get into his books non of them do!...

CyberGhostface
03-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Reading the script analysis a lot of it comes off as someone trying to remake DT as opposed to adapting it.

Peter Jackson didn't do a completely literal adaptation of Lord of the Rings -- he made quite a few controversial changes -- but he at least trusted Tolkien's story to carry 85% of it.

With DT I kind of figured that they would need to make some significant changes during the second half of the series when SK writes himself in and different characters from other books pop in but to see it happen early on worries me. The first book might have been a hump to get over but II and III could have made great films while still following the source material.

Lookwhoitis
03-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Nikolaj Arcel is NOT Peter Jackson...

The Dark Tower is NOT Lord of the Rings

Isamu Dyson
03-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Blue is not red?

Sai Sheb
03-12-2016, 11:25 PM
If Arron Paul does put his name to this 'adaptation' at least that is one area I won't be worrying about!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-13-2016, 02:25 AM

...and there were dozens of failed films of LOTR before the success of Peter Jackson's ones. The Dark Tower might be the same.

Rahfa
03-13-2016, 05:40 AM

...and there were dozens of failed films of LOTR before the success of Peter Jackson's ones. The Dark Tower might be the same.

Dozens?

I think there were three - and I'm counting the two TV cartoons. Even the movie cartoon wasn't that bad as much as ahead of its time. I think it holds up pretty well.

(or are you talking about PLANNED adaptions? Because you're right about that - in defense, though, the special effects pre-Jackson just weren't going to allow a legitimate adaption)

Lookwhoitis
03-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Dozens?

I think there were three - and I'm counting the two TV cartoons. Even the movie cartoon wasn't that bad as much as ahead of its time. I think it holds up pretty well.

Interesting to read of the planned Boorman adaptation. I had never heard of that before. A Beatles Lord of the Rings mash-up? Oh my!

In comparing the two directors above. I KNEW Jackson was destined for greatness as a technical filmmaker because I had seen his talent in prior films. Arcel, not so much...

and my comment comparing the two book series is based on the SIZE of both properties.

The Tolkien books are the best selling books of all time (150 million estimated for LOTR and 140.6 million estimated for the Hobbit) whereas the Dark Tower series has sold around 30 million books.

Lookwhoitis
03-13-2016, 08:38 AM
I just hope they dont muck it up (But im not holding my breath)

CyberGhostface
03-13-2016, 12:38 PM
When I bring up LotR I'm not suggesting they invest as much money into it. On the contrary, I think you could make the first two movies for a fraction of the budget of Fellowship alone. I just brought it up as an example of a film series that respected the source material as opposed to tearing everything apart and then rearranging the pieces haphazardly.

sgc1999
03-13-2016, 03:39 PM

Aaron Paul would absolutely kill it playing Eddie. He would be perfect.

Girlystevedave
03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm in the minority as far as not having a lot of knowledge of Aaron Paul's acting capabilities since I've yet to watch Breaking Bad, but I've gotta say that the thought of having an actor who has knowledge of the character and who really wants to be that character get that role is very exciting.

Merlin1958
03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
When I bring up LotR I'm not suggesting they invest as much money into it. On the contrary, I think you could make the first two movies for a fraction of the budget of Fellowship alone. I just brought it up as an example of a film series that respected the source material as opposed to tearing everything apart and then rearranging the pieces haphazardly.

I under stand what you're saying and agree. The real business genius of the LOTR films was that they basically shot the entire film up front. So that when FoTR made it's splash they were already way in the black. Aside from some re-shoots, post and additional CGI/PR/Mktg the following two films were virtually all profit. That series single handedly saved the studio,

mae
03-14-2016, 06:56 AM
http://www.people.com/article/aaron-paul-talks-stephen-king-twitter-exchange-dark-tower

After rumors swirled this week about Aaron Paul being considered for a role in The Dark Tower, Paul brought the matter directly to the author himself – Stephen King – via Twitter.

"I asked if he could throw in a good word." Paul told PEOPLE at the premiere of his latest film, Eye in the Sky, on Wednesday. "And he said that he would and that he's a big fan."

"So I think that means I am really locked into doing the The Dark Tower," he kidded. "So it's just very exciting news for us all – maybe, I don't know."

After years of false-starts, the film is finally moving forward, with Idris Elba as the gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as the man in black.

When asked whether he could confirm his own casting rumors, Paul told PEOPLE "I have no idea. These rumors have come and gone in the past few years. It would be a dream come true, I love that book series. I'm obsessed with The Dark Tower series and with Stephen King."

Isamu Dyson
03-14-2016, 07:47 AM
A secret The Dark Tower fan. No kidding?

I haven't felt such joy since the time I learned Vin Diesel likes to slay orcs and take long-forgotten treasure.

fernandito
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Like I've mentioned before, I have my reservations about Aaron Paul as Eddie but his enthusiasm for the role is infectious.

At least we know he's willing to do whatever it takes to do right by that character.

mtdman
03-14-2016, 08:27 PM
I still say Eddie isn't in this movie, nor Susannah. Why would they wait so long, so close to shooting, to cast either?

Sai Sheb
03-15-2016, 01:07 AM
Because they will end up being "bit parts" I think its just going to revolve around
Roland and jake! They'll cut out his past song of Susannah wizard and glass more likely that not
Will be cut or trimmed right back.... But hey I like Arron Paul so that's somthing to be happy bout! Right?

fernandito
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Maybe Eddie and Sus will only appear toward the end of the film to set up the second film?

webstar1000
03-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Maybe Eddie and Sus will only appear toward the end of the film to set up the second film?

Well that would kind of follow the books more so no? We would want that I would say!

fernandito
03-15-2016, 09:37 AM
I'd be okay with that.

If that 'insider' article is true, then this film will focus largely on the relationship between Roland and Jake. I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Isamu Dyson
03-15-2016, 10:15 AM

I thought they'd make a brief appearance at some point (not necessarily towards the end, though), too.

Tommy
03-18-2016, 09:03 PM
The next Maze Runner film was supposed to be released on 17 Feb 2017 against The Dark Tower but the main actor was seriously injured and filming shut down so the release date will probably be moved back.

Sai Sheb
03-19-2016, 12:16 AM
I just dont see how they can getvuf finished in time! Has filming started yet? And what about post production?
These things take time...

twice
03-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Tirana was a low woman from the dixie pig...in book 7 .so.. who knows what the first movie wil be

Johnny Alien
03-20-2016, 03:52 AM
From those that have seen glimpses or all of the script it appears that they re going to be introducing the Crimson King's people early on. The story will follow the same general arc but the Crimson's Kings plans and actions will be evident from the beginning.

mtdman
03-24-2016, 10:44 PM
I saw a preview for McConaghay's new movie set in the civil war era. I think he'll do a good job with TMiB.

fernandito
03-25-2016, 10:11 AM
From those that have seen glimpses or all of the script it appears that they re going to be introducing the Crimson King's people early on. The story will follow the same general arc but the Crimson's Kings plans and actions will be evident from the beginning.
That sounds good to me.

wolfehr
04-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Abbey Lee is NOT the female lead of The Dark Tower and other Mid-World updates! (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74806)

CyberGhostface
04-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Reading the plot synopsis it's really frustrating to me how they're shuffling everything around and reordering things. I think the Gunslinger would need some retooling to make it accessible for audiences but not to the extent that they're doing here.

Really, there's no way the following shouldn't work:

1. Start off with the Gunslinger on a low budget to test the waters. You don't need to make it a big budget film. Maybe save the flashbacks for later. This way it could be a modest success and still make a profit for the studio.

2. Depending on the success, continue with Drawing of the Three. Maybe try to make it accessible for newcomers who haven't seen the original film. Give it a bigger budget with more advertising and see how it does. Again, DotT isn't some epic spectacle so the studio could probably make it for thirty million or less and come back with a success.

3. By this point the studios should know whether or not they have a success on their hands. With the Waste Lands, that's when you start to crank up the budget and treat it like a big fantasy film. Again, maybe make it accessible for people who haven't seen the first two. Continue forward with future films based on the success. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Iwritecode
04-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Reading the plot synopsis it's really frustrating to me how they're shuffling everything around and reordering things. I think the Gunslinger would need some retooling to make it accessible for audiences but not to the extent that they're doing here.

1. Start off with the Gunslinger on a low budget to test the waters. You don't need to make it a big budget film. Maybe save the flashbacks for later. This way it could be a modest success and still make a profit for the studio.

2. Depending on the success, continue with Drawing of the Three. Maybe try to make it accessible for newcomers who haven't seen the original film. Give it a bigger budget with more advertising and see how it does. Again, DotT isn't some epic spectacle so the studio could probably make it for thirty million or less and come back with a success.

3. By this point the studios should know whether or not they have a success on their hands. With the Waste Lands, that's when you start to crank up the budget and treat it like a big fantasy film. Again, maybe make it accessible for people who haven't seen the first two. Continue forward with future films based on the success. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Making the first book into a successful movie, even on a low budget would probably not work. Even the biggest DT fans admit that it's a struggle to get through.

The difference between the books and the movies is that with the books SK was literally making it up as he went along. (Obviously duh, that's how books work. :redface:) But with the movie you already have all the material and you can cut out some of the slow boring stuff and add more of the exciting stuff that wasn't even thought about until the later books like Blue Heaven and the Low Men and the breakers...

That's how you get the general public interested in the story. I'm not crazy about them mixing up the different parts of the story but I'm slowly coming around to it and understand why it's necessary. As long as they don't change the core of the story overall.

But simply doing one book/one movie like other franchises have done (Twilight, Hunger Games, LOTR, Harry Potter) just doesn't seem feasible.

CyberGhostface
04-08-2016, 06:53 AM
The first one is a hump to get over but it could still make back the studio's money if they're smart. I don't think it would be that difficult to make the story less dry while still being true to the original story.

Iwritecode
04-08-2016, 08:42 AM
The first one is a hump to get over but it could still make back the studio's money if they're smart. I don't think it would be that difficult to make the story less dry while still being true to the original story.

I think one of the biggest problems would be making Roland likable. His actions across the first book don't exactly endear him to the readers. Even with using the material from the other books I think they will still have the same trouble. That could be one reason they are introducing Jake so early in the story.

fernandito
04-10-2016, 04:08 PM
The first one is a hump to get over...

That's not good enough for the general audience and thus, not good enough to the studio.

You don't want a "false start" to begin your franchise. The first film must be accessible and appealing to as many people as possible. The series potential success is on thin ice as it is, can't afford to lose the fanbase halfway through the first movie.

WeDealInLead
04-10-2016, 04:30 PM
You mean at the point where he knows there's a trap but does sweet-F-all about it and extends his stay basically to get some? Then proceeds to murder the entire town -- women and children included -- when that could've been avoided? Yeah, that might be a tough sell, ha.

Br!an
04-10-2016, 05:23 PM
I think one of the biggest problems would be making Roland likable. His actions across the first book don't exactly endear him to the readers. Even with using the material from the other books I think they will still have the same trouble. That could be one reason they are introducing Jake so early in the story.

Roland is likable, if you happen to be a sociopath. :wtf:

CyberGhostface
04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
The first one is a hump to get over...

That's not good enough for the general audience and thus, not good enough to the studio.

You don't want a "false start" to begin your franchise. The first film must be accessible and appealing to as many people as possible. The series potential success is on thin ice as it is, can't afford to lose the fanbase halfway through the first movie.

The studio is looking to make a profit. 'Krampus' only made 65 million but that was considered a huge success for the studio because it cost 15 million to make. If Captain America 3 makes twice as much it will be a huge disaster. If you make the first movie for twenty million -- and that could easily be done -- the studio could easily have a hit on its hands and have an idea of what the audiences want.

You mean at the point where he knows there's a trap but does sweet-F-all about it and extends his stay basically to get some? Then proceeds to murder the entire town -- women and children included -- when that could've been avoided? Yeah, that might be a tough sell, ha.

Honestly if they soften Roland there (and they probably will if not outright skip it) I'll be annoyed. It was bad enough that King had to introduce the "Land of Nineteen" (which goes NOWHERE) so his killing of Allie is somewhat justifiable. Heck watch as they change it so Roland doesn't let Jake drop on his own accord. Breaking Bad was a hugely successful show, people are used to protagonists who are morally grey.

Jon
04-11-2016, 06:21 PM

I like this plan but 30 million USD seems a bit cheap for DotT given the cast, when you add Paul.

But now that I think of it...if you subtract the RV for Paul and the ephedrine budget...

Brian861
04-12-2016, 02:24 AM
Honestly if they soften Roland there (and they probably will if not outright skip it) I'll be annoyed. It was bad enough that King had to introduce the "Land of Nineteen" (which goes NOWHERE) so his killing of Allie is somewhat justifiable. Heck watch as they change it so Roland doesn't let Jake drop on his own accord. Breaking Bad was a hugely successful show, people are used to protagonists who are morally grey.

It doesn't get more morally grey then Walter White for sure. The guy (character) was a straight up asshole and poor Jesse kept suffering at his hand time and time again. I really hated Walter by the end of that show but Jesse always had my utmost empathy. Albeit you could agree Jesse really never did anything to help himself out of a really bad situation. Discussion for another thread. Boos from the crowd I'm sure, but I'm actually enjoying Better Call Saul much more.

Thread related: I'm thinking they'll soften up Roland as well although that'd be a huge mistake in my opinion. I felt compassion for Roland's loss of his mother and Susan. Beyond that, I never really cared for the guy. I was always more into his ka-tets. No reason the films can't give us someone else to love and feel for outside of Roland. But as you've said; don't see it going that way either.

Johnny Alien
04-12-2016, 06:34 AM
I figure that they will cut the whole Mordred story line....it never really pans out well and involves so much Sussanah in her head stuff. That eliminates almost all of SoS and portions of Calla and TDT. Then if the backstory is handled by a series (or not at all) there goes W&tG. That narrows it down to basically 4 books worth of material and the Gunslinger will be cut down (not that there is much in there really...just keep Tull and the voyage through the mtn both of which are in the last working script).

It seems drastic what they are doing but I am not sure it is. They are introducing the concept of the breakers earlier and using Jake's "touch" to tell that story. Then if you changed what happened in the mtn since he is on a different and possibly more redeeming loop then there is no need to draw Jake twice...in which case it would make total sense to use the more dramatic drawing from the Wastelands for his first drawing.

After really thinking about it I am excited for the minor changes. It's not like the breakers things wasn't going on when Jake was drawn...it absolutely was we just didn't know about it until the last book.

Sai Sheb
04-12-2016, 08:40 AM
I think they could start with Roland in the desert and skip to DotT and just use flashbacks to tell the story of the gunslinger!

CyberGhostface
04-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I like this plan but 30 million USD seems a bit cheap for DotT given the cast, when you add Paul.

Well Dallas Buyers Club had a budget of 5 million and that had McConaughey as well as Jared Leto. A lot A-list actors do smaller films from time to time.

It doesn't get more morally grey then Walter White for sure. The guy (character) was a straight up asshole and poor Jesse kept suffering at his hand time and time again. I really hated Walter by the end of that show but Jesse always had my utmost empathy. Albeit you could agree Jesse really never did anything to help himself out of a really bad situation. Discussion for another thread. Boos from the crowd I'm sure, but I'm actually enjoying Better Call Saul much more.

Not going to argue he wasn't an asshole but even at the end there was an inherent humanity to him that a number of other 'anti-heroes' lack (I would say a prime example would be to compare Tony and Christopher from the Sopranos to Walt and Jesse). But the point being BB's success is testament that people don't really have a problem with shows where the lead character isn't a 'good' person.

fernandito
04-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Reminder;

Please mark series spoilers! Especially regarding the ending!
Thanks.

Brian861
04-12-2016, 11:34 PM
But the point being BB's success is testament that people don't really have a problem with shows where the lead character isn't a 'good' person.

Well, some folks do and some don't. You (meaning they) have to appeal to the masses. As I've said before, my line of thinking now is the movie(s) is/are the movie(s) and the books will always be the books. I think once you get down to it, you'll be comparing apples to oranges. My true hope was that they'd do a cable series where they could take their time with it. But that would present its own unique problems and issues as well. Box office tells all so we'll find out after the ticket sales are all tallied come Monday AM after said weekend premier. Either way, I think they got us rabid fans hook, line, and sinker. We have to see how bad/good it is and we'll have to do the same each time the next film is released. If there is a next film.....

Sai Sheb
04-12-2016, 11:42 PM
I have to agree Brian! We are hooked like a like a fat kid following a lollypop!
We just have to stay calm and not PANIC!!!""

Brian861
04-12-2016, 11:46 PM
I have to agree Brian! We are hooked like a like a fat kid following a lollypop! We just have to stay calm and not PANIC!!!""

LOL! I call it Train Wreak Syndrome.

mtdman
04-13-2016, 01:28 AM

I have always identified with Roland and his single minded pursuit of the tower. I love him in this book and his story in Tull. I think you could make the 1st book if done well using the juxtaposition of him being a lone player killing a whole town vs him with Jake and the back story of his youth.

I still think a long television series on a cable network would have been better than a feature film.

mae
04-13-2016, 05:23 AM
http://comicbook.com/2016/04/13/the-dark-tower-has-started-filming

The feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has begun principal photography, Sony announced tonight at CinemaCon.

Isamu Dyson
04-13-2016, 06:25 PM
http://comicbook.com/2016/04/13/the-dark-tower-has-started-filming

The feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has begun principal photography, Sony announced tonight at CinemaCon.

May we receive many leaked photographs from the set(s) :rock:.

Isamu Dyson
04-14-2016, 02:13 PM
http://deadline.com/2016/04/jackie-earle-haley-cast-the-tick-amazon-pilot-terror-the-dark-tower-1201735802/

Possible Salem's Lot connection?

mtdman
04-14-2016, 02:36 PM
http://deadline.com/2016/04/jackie-earle-haley-cast-the-tick-amazon-pilot-terror-the-dark-tower-1201735802/

Possible Salem's Lot connection?

From the article:

Haley will play Sayre, a menacing humanoid who is the vampire leader and kowtows to no one.

CyberGhostface
04-14-2016, 06:23 PM
I always pictured someone like John Slattery as Sayre in my head.

Ricky
04-15-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm having a hard time getting excited about this. It seems like they're taking bits and pieces from all across the series and putting them into the first movie.

CyberGhostface
04-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah a lot of this makes me think that the producers are nervous about this and don't trust the story to resonate with viewers.

mae
04-17-2016, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iPotCLRyeA

Isamu Dyson
04-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Plot twist: the film franchise is taking the story in reverse.

Brian861
04-17-2016, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iPotCLRyeA

Well, that was informative.

Sai Sheb
04-17-2016, 11:36 PM
So... At least we know its gonna be on a "screen". FFS...

Bev Vincent
04-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Sombra Group 2016: Technology for a Bold Tomorrow

On the web: http://www.sombragroup.com/

Br!an
04-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Interesting. I'll have to check that occasionally as they get it more functional.

Sai Sheb
04-20-2016, 02:47 PM
That's looks great !!! A touch scary but great...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-20-2016, 10:53 PM
There's some great stuff on this site. Check it out. http://www.sombragroup.com/

Sombra Recruiting
WE CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO REMEMBER THE FACE OF YOUR FATHER
Contact Recruiting@SOMBRAGroup.com or call (646) 801-8670 to schedule an Interview

http://asimovrobots.com/images/SOMBRAKC27aA00a.png

http://asimovrobots.com/images/ASIMOV1.png

http://northcentralpositronicsltd.com/images/NCP2.png

http://sixchambersltd.com/images/richardsayre_six%20chambers1.png

http://gileadguards.com/images/gileadtrans.png

Brian861
04-20-2016, 11:50 PM

That's really freakin' cool!

mae
04-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Meh. The logos look very slapped together.

webstar1000
04-21-2016, 03:53 AM
This is GOLD. Honest GOLD... they play this up well and start a web campaign like this.. and WORK IT... what brilliant marketing for the film eh?

mae
04-21-2016, 04:52 AM
It's kinda funny but if the 02/17/17 release date holds and it likely will, the movie will come out almost exactly 10 years to the date after it was first officially reported by IGN.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2016, 05:04 AM
I left a message on the recruiting line.

Bev Vincent
04-21-2016, 06:40 AM
I left a message on the recruiting line.

I emailed, but it bounced.

webstar1000
04-21-2016, 06:44 AM
I called them... WOW...

Ben Staad
04-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Very fun. Hope they build on this.

stroppygoblin
04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
"I met a girl from minnesota, she had a southern drawl - her and her little mousy friends are scratching at my wall - she talks of gods and other things as if this were a game - dont you know to break the world you must call things by their names"

Awesome stuff

Bev Vincent
04-21-2016, 08:06 AM
When I tweeted about this yesterday, the tweet was liked by Richard Sayre, CEO.

Merlin1958
04-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing, Alan

mtdman
04-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Roland is likable, if you happen to be a sociopath. :wtf:

I think this is why I like him.

mtdman
04-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Whats the deal with the film on the Lamerk Industries website?

skyofcrack
04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
I can't wait to illegally download this.

Bev Vincent
04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
I suppose it has to do with Blaine.

mtdman
04-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I sent an email and called the number.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Left a VM looking for a job. Randall Flagg. Las Vegas phone #, unparalleled mercenary experience.

Sai Sheb
04-21-2016, 12:32 PM
This is so cool! Do you think they are hiring in Europe??? Again it could be great "snowball" for the film
I'm just a little surprised not to see the logo as a crimson eye!!!

Randall Flagg
04-21-2016, 12:39 PM
I just received an interesting call back from them.

Bev Vincent
04-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Per Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fran-kranz-joins-stephen-king-883854): Fran Kranz will be joined Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey in Sony's The Dark Tower. Kranz will be playing Pimli, the right hand man of the Man in Black.

Br!an
04-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Enquiring minds want to know.

fernandito
04-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Ambivalent^

CyberGhostface
04-21-2016, 02:33 PM
They could not pick an actor who looks less like Pimli if they tried.

http://abload.de/img/33f8403c78b79dfd6f1f80qpbt.jpg

(Edit: Apparently he looks more 'cleaned up' on his IMDb page now but he's still a good-looking guy in his thirties.)

Someone suggested John Goodman in another fancast and he'd have been perfect. John Carroll Lynch also comes to mind now that I think of it.

ladysai
04-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes; do tell, boss.
Did you land an interview or what?!

racerx45
04-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Wow it change. It's now all about Blaine and their location moved from NYC to Topeka. I'm enjoying this.

ladysai
04-21-2016, 06:00 PM
"See the Turtle of enormous girth
On his shell he holds the Earth
His thought is slow, but always kind
He holds us all within his mind
He loves the land and loves the sea
He even loves a child like me"

Ben Staad
04-21-2016, 06:40 PM
This is so fun.

Edit: Started putting the Japanese text into google translate and received some cool little notes.

Randall Flagg
04-22-2016, 05:07 AM
"See the Turtle of enormous girth
On his shell he holds the Earth
His thought is slow, but always kind
He holds us all within his mind
He loves the land and loves the sea
He even loves a child like me"

That is the message I received.

wolfehr
04-22-2016, 08:21 AM
"SERVER UPGRADES IN PROGRESS. EXPECT OUTAGES AND ADDITIONAL SECURITY ON ALL SITES
PORTAL UPDATE: ALL PORTALS (SITREP & SOMBRACORP) TO BE RESTORED SAT, APRIL 23rd"

This is awesome :)

Randall Flagg
04-22-2016, 08:34 AM
I sent their recruiting an email that said:

My name is Donald Merwin Elbert.
My specialty is incendiary devices.

My life for you!

mikeC
04-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Per Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fran-kranz-joins-stephen-king-883854): Fran Kranz will be joined Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey in Sony's The Dark Tower. Kranz will be playing Pimli, the right hand man of the Man in Black.

I'm guessing this a movie thing?
I didn't think Walter/Flagg had anything to with that stuff.

This is gonna be so bad.

fernandito
04-22-2016, 10:51 AM
I honestly do not remember a single thing about Pimli. Didn't even know who he was until I read the site's article lol.

Iwritecode
04-22-2016, 10:57 AM
I honestly do not remember a single thing about Pimli. Didn't even know who he was until I read the site's article lol.

I had a pretty good idea who he was. But until I looked it up, I had forgotten that he was the one that... shot/killed Eddie.

webstar1000
04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
I am going to do my best to remain positive. I used to be so pissed and negative about movies when I heard casting and direction of story among other things UNTIL... The Dark Knight. I was the biggest hater on Ledger playing the Joker. It has since the day it came out been my 3rd favorite movie of all time.. because of his work. I will never judge a movie till I see it. Same with Ben playing Batman, as most were pissed and sour, I remained optimistic AND I think he is the best one we have gotten so far. I am beyond thrilled to see Affleck do his own stand alone Batman film. I think he is just a fantastic director. Ironically both examples are from the world of Batman but the Joker changed me and Ben's Batman was a very recent example. I really hope they do justice to Kings life's work. It deserves and commands it:)

fernandito
04-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Agree with everything you said, Webstar!

I too was hating on Ledger when he was cast - I even referred to the film as Brokeback Batman - but then the film was released and his performance shut my dumbass up.

Won't pass judgement on this until the end credits roll.

Brian861
04-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I am going to do my best to remain positive. I used to be so pissed and negative about movies when I heard casting and direction of story among other things UNTIL... The Dark Knight. I was the biggest hater on Ledger playing the Joker. It has since the day it came out been my 3rd favorite movie of all time.. because of his work. I will never judge a movie till I see it. Same with Ben playing Batman, as most were pissed and sour, I remained optimistic AND I think he is the best one we have gotten so far. I am beyond thrilled to see Affleck do his own stand alone Batman film. I think he is just a fantastic director. Ironically both examples are from the world of Batman but the Joker changed me and Ben's Batman was a very recent example. I really hope they do justice to Kings life's work. It deserves and commands it:)

Well stated, my friend! I'm hoping for the best as well. We just have to remember that this film/s isn't going to be our beloved DT books series. But rather think of it as a variant :). After all, we're all about variants right?!

Merlin1958
04-22-2016, 11:40 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75015 Just a tad more info and just because it was so freaking cool......

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75014

Lovejoygirl14
04-22-2016, 12:29 PM
I have just started the DT series. Almost finished with the gunslinger but....I'm really picturing Tom Hardy as the gunslinger.

Shannon
04-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Ummm, then you probably shouldn't be in this thread, lol.

Lovejoygirl14
04-22-2016, 07:02 PM

I shouldn't be in it??! Wtf?

Merlin1958
04-22-2016, 07:49 PM

I shouldn't be in it??! Wtf?

Well, my dear spoilers for the series will abound, FWIW

Lovejoygirl14
04-22-2016, 07:51 PM
:doh:

TRUE STORY!!!!

Isamu Dyson
04-23-2016, 05:13 PM
I've read elsewhere that "Hey Jude" has been officially licensed for this film. Will try to get confirmation (evidence) presented in this thread as soon as it's made available.

Johnny Alien
04-24-2016, 02:30 AM
Like I said earlier I think I see the vision in moving some of that later stuff up and I am on board with it. They did the same thing on a smaller level with LOTR. There were many things that happened in book 3 that were moved up a bit or happened in book 2 that were moved back. The portions that were moved were able to be moved because there were multiple things happening in the book at the same time and instead of time traveling back they decided to actually show that those things were happening at the same time. Likewise here we all understand stuff HAD to be happening at the devar-toi and with the low men and such while books 1-6 were going on. So to actually show us the breakers story early is not against the books at all and will strengthen the magnitude of what Roland is facing. Really the biggest change will be having Jake know way more and having him a target of the Can-Toi because of his having "the shine" (which is well established in the book). Its actually an excellent way to bring in the breaker story early without introducing other characters.

CyberGhostface
04-24-2016, 07:57 AM
FWIW I think it was effective to show Blue Heaven at the very end just because it had been built up as some hellish prison prior so when we see it's a nice place where the Breakers can roam around it's an interesting reversal of expectations.

I can understand introducing the Tower early on given that I think it's not until DT3 that they really start discussing what it is and the beams are so the audience can have an idea of what it's stake but having Walter strolling around Blue Heaven right at the start is just a misfire IMO.

Also having Pimli as Walter's right-hand man does change things a bit and it makes me wonder if they're going to throw out the character of Finli and his relationship with Pimli.

Randall Flagg
04-24-2016, 11:04 AM

Answer the riddle, and see the image.
Underneath is this:
ガンスリンガー

That is Japanese for Gunslinger.

This is Japanese for Spider:
クモ

Jon
04-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Did someone say "Riddles??!!??"

stroppygoblin
04-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Site has been updated again...

"Thank You for playing.
Gunslingers, it is time for our Palaver."

mtdman
04-25-2016, 05:34 PM
I had a thought today. It would make sense to introduce Jake now, and have the character go through a modified version of what happens to him in Gunslinger. Then move on to movie 2 with Susannah and Eddie, and loop back to him in movie 3 as an older version of Jake (because the actor is going to age), or even a new actor at the same age as a Jake from another Level of the Tower (other worlds than these). That would make more sense to get all the Gunslinger and Wastelands Jake out of the way before getting to Eddie and Susannah.

What if in this turn of the wheel, Roland remembers Jake and what happens with him, and knows that TMB and CK are going after him before Roland finds him to use as a breaker? Roland knows this, he's got the horn after all, and we've seen that he CAN remember snippits from one cycle to another. What if this time he remembers a bit of Jake? So he's searching for a door to get to NY to get to Jake before TMB can get him as a breaker? Kinda like that. Then that would explain bringing in Pimili and the other low people and the Tirana chick, etc, so early. Roland saves him from TMB but still sacrifices him in order to get more info from TMB. Movie ends with Jake dying, Roland moving on to drawing Eddie and Susannah and maybe Jake again in movie 2?

ladysai
04-25-2016, 05:52 PM
It has updated again.
Anyone else keeping up with this site?
It was an interesting weekend. The site added a dozen new links and changed from Sombra to Blaine on the homepage.
I answered riddles and got email from Blaine.
I wonder if its an "official" site, or a fan site?
Any thoughts?

Merlin1958
04-25-2016, 06:12 PM
Cool Beans!!!

firemonkey66
04-25-2016, 07:38 PM
It has updated again.
Anyone else keeping up with this site?
It was an interesting weekend. The site added a dozen new links and changed from Sombra to Blaine on the homepage.
I answered riddles and got email from Blaine.
I wonder if its an "official" site, or a fan site?
Any thoughts?

It's gotta be a fan site. I can't picture it being run by a corporate marketing group; it's too fun:)

Brian861
04-25-2016, 09:25 PM
I think that's a pretty damn good concept actually.

webstar1000
04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Oh man... The hottie from Vikings (amazing show and she is amazing in it) katheryn-winnick just signed on for the DT movie. Stellar actress and cannot wait to see who she plays!!!

Isamu Dyson
04-27-2016, 06:45 PM
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/04/27/look-first-dark-tower-set-photos-spotlight-demonic-nuns-more/

mae
04-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Not sure I'm feeling the logo yet but it's most likely not final:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12424756_203800733333030_1490111005_n.jpg

Isamu Dyson
04-28-2016, 12:03 AM
To me, it looks like the font style a metal/heavy metal band might use for their name.

That aside? I am happy to see that some practical effects will be utilized. A pure CGI-fest wouldn't sit quite right with me.

webstar1000
04-28-2016, 05:45 AM
the bith im not funny,this seler is best product http://laissezachats.net/176/o.png

?? Come again?

Brian861
04-28-2016, 06:24 AM
Not sure I'm feeling the logo yet but it's most likely not final:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12424756_203800733333030_1490111005_n.jpg

Would be a cool prop to own. Especially if you were able to get your name on it.

Isamu Dyson
04-28-2016, 04:33 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-Tower-Looking-Add-Young-Sundance-Star-127717.html

mtdman
04-28-2016, 07:48 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-Tower-Looking-Add-Young-Sundance-Star-127717.html

Jake didn't have humorous companions.

Also, the sombragroup.com website keeps changing. Right now it's staticy with fake connection error messages.

Merlin1958
04-28-2016, 10:02 PM

Also, the sombragroup.com website keeps changing. Right now it's staticy with fake connection error messages.

Do you think?

Merlin1958
04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
A little more insight FWIW........

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75063

Jon
04-28-2016, 10:15 PM

But the link to Northcentralpositronics.org works!!

as does Andydoesmayberry.com if you want some adult content.

herbertwest
04-29-2016, 06:10 AM
'The Dark Tower' Begins Production, Stephen King Says It Starts "In The Middle Of The Story," Will Have Modern Day Setting

>>> http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the-dark-tower-begins-production-stephen-king-says-it-starts-in-the-middle-of-the-story-will-have-modern-day-setting-20160301

brethren
04-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Gotta admit, I'm not too sure about this "starting in the middle" scenario. And The Wastelands seems to be the worst place to start. A lot of the book is about Jake's death paradox, and that won't make much sense to anyone who hasn't read the 1st and 2nd books.

There's also all this talk about having much of the movie take place in the "our world." No offense to good old earth, but isn't Roland's world far more interesting, especially for a movie?

And then having such a high profile actor like MM in the role of the MiB - who really doesn't even show up that much in the books - especially book 2 and 3. That seems odd, but I'm guessing they will increase his role - they pretty much have to unless they're going for a Mark Hamill/TFA type appearance at the end.

I don't know why they're avoiding starting at the beginning, with book 1, continuing on to book 2. They're could be some potentially great scenes with Tull, The Oracle, the final palaver, the beach scenes, Eddie's shootout, Detta, etc. And you could probably get most of books 1 and 2 into one movie. Starting in the middle seems like they're missing out on too much that made the series great.

Oh hi btw, first post.

frik
04-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Welcome, brethren!

sk

I think not starting this adaptation with book 1 is a big mistake.
The more I read about this production, the less I like it.

CyberGhostface
04-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Wonder if King is regretting turning down Darabont yet...

Lovejoygirl14
04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
SOMEONE BE PROUD OF ME! I STARTED THE GUNSLINGER LAST WEEK AND JUST FINISHED THE WASTELANDS!!!! NOW, I HOPE THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!! BUT I WONT READ FURTHER INTO THIS THREAD SO AS TO NOT RUIN MY JOURNEY!

Randall Flagg
04-29-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm proud of you. Read slowly and savor every word.

webstar1000
05-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Agreed RF... Really wish I could start the journey again but I have done it 4 times now! Lol

Sai Sheb
05-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Oh but it was so great the first time I did it! Read theDT that is...

fernandito
05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm going to lose my shit when the first image of Elba as Roland is revealed.

mtdman
05-02-2016, 02:02 PM

You should make sure you are near a bathroom then.

Sai Sheb
05-03-2016, 03:59 AM
If you lose your shit just look down at your feet and I'm sure you'll find it...

Tommy
05-03-2016, 04:02 AM

Depends...

Isamu Dyson
05-03-2016, 05:24 AM

You're late to the party: a lot of racists beat you to that honor by the mere mention of Elba as Roland.

fernandito
05-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Oh please, let's not start that again. :rolleyes:

Brian861
05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Or he could have meant he's going to be so :excited: to see this rather than dreading it.....

Ben Staad
05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I very truly hope you are being sarcastic here.

You're late to the party: a lot of racists beat you to that honor by the mere mention of Elba as Roland.

Randall Flagg
05-03-2016, 11:12 AM
I perceived fernadito's statement to mean he was anxiously awaiting an actual image from the filming in- a positive fashion.

webstar1000
05-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I perceived fernadito's statement to mean he was anxiously awaiting an actual image from the filming in- a positive fashion.

As did I... AND as am I.

Ari_Racing
05-04-2016, 02:28 AM
Lilja's Library mentioned the film will be also filmed in NYC. Is there any website were the location of the filming can be check? I'll be in NYC one day next month and if it happens to be during the filming I'll surely would like to see it.

:)

Bev Vincent
05-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Lilja's Library mentioned the film will be also filmed in NYC. Is there any website were the location of the filming can be check? I'll be in NYC one day next month and if it happens to be during the filming I'll surely would like to see it.

:)

The info came from the NYC Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment’s directory of “Current Productions”

skyofcrack
05-04-2016, 06:28 AM
The 'all right, all right' guy fled across the desert and the black gunslinger followed.

Brian861
05-04-2016, 09:17 AM
The 'all right, all right' guy fled across the desert and the black gunslinger followed.

He might actually be fleeing across 5th Ave in this case......

Sai Sheb
05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Why is it that if you dont like something that involves a black guy you're a racist??? I didn't want Elba as Roland but not out of race out of being true to the story!!! I still look forward to seeing him as Roland and I look forward to the movie!!! Sorry if my ideas upset anyone but its just me.

fernandito
05-04-2016, 02:23 PM

That is correct sir.

And having cleared that up, can we move past the race issue, everyone?

Say thankee sai.

Isamu Dyson
05-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Why is it that if you dont like something that involves a black guy you're a racist???

I stated racists. If you're not a racist, then there is no need to assume a defensive position.

Also, I got what fernandito meant. My aim was to point out how the idiom "lose my shit" has a double meaning (in a dryly humorous fashion)...though it appears I was not overt enough in my messaging :).

---

Anyhow, here's a leaked set picture -> https://www.instagram.com/p/BFBM4BKgoGI/

I suspect we'll all be nibbling on such morsels for the better part of a year. Ration what you get, lest you constantly starve!

Lovejoygirl14
05-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Why is it that if you dont like something that involves a black guy you're a racist??? I didn't want Elba as Roland but not out of race out of being true to the story!!! I still look forward to seeing him as Roland and I look forward to the movie!!! Sorry if my ideas upset anyone but its just me.

I agree. I am not totally convinced that Elba will do as the gunslinger. But it is because he's black. Not a race issue. Lol. So when they pull odetta/detta from the door. Is she still going to be racist or only to Eddie?? 😑 I just don't like the idea. But I will just have to wait for the movie.

Isamu Dyson
05-06-2016, 09:36 AM
I agree. I am not totally convinced that Elba will do as the gunslinger. But it is because he's black. Not a race issue.

Uh...

Lovejoygirl14
05-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Ahh, having a hard time writing what I'm thinking. I have several different actors in mind and have become attached to them. I also have pictured Roland as a white guy. So trying to see him played by a black actor has taken me out of my imagination of what the story is to me. I also can't see matthew as Walter.

Sai Sheb
05-06-2016, 12:55 PM
I think Mathew will be a good Walter/ flag but who knows!!!

Brian861
05-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Love me some McConaughey so that's one thing I'm totally on board with.

CyberGhostface
05-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Matt's been my dream pick for RF ever since he was cast so seeing him in what will likely be a mess is kind of sad for me.

Is she still going to be racist or only to Eddie?? 😑 I just don't like the idea. But I will just have to wait for the movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Detta is dropped entirely given the way things are going. That's assuming we even get to a second movie.