PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

fernandito
12-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, that thing has Razzie Awards written all over it :lol:

Yaksha
12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
just saw Tron Legacy. Loved it. Amazing movie very well done. Just didnt see anything spectacular about it being in 3D

kluker
12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Just watch How to train your dragon last night
and it was awesome had our entire family entralled by it.
Even my son who has a attention span of a gnat loved it and watched it all.
I give it five stars and a 10/10 rating.

haunted.lunchbox
12-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Just saw TRON also. It was really good, but I would have enjoyed meeting more programs.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Just watch How to train your dragon last night
and it was awesome had our entire family entralled by it.
Even my son who has a attention span of a gnat loved it and watched it all.
I give it five stars and a 10/10 rating.

Oh totally agree!

How to Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me were better than Toy Story 3

RainInSpain
12-20-2010, 02:03 AM
How to Train Your Dragon is absolutely fantastic! Loved those cat-like facial expressions of Toothless :)

Watched The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest - and enjoyed both. I especially liked the casting - Noomi Rapace is a very good fit for the role, she's just as I imagined Lisbeth Salander; also in general it felt right to see 'normal'-looking actors, not some 'sexiest men/women alive', in these movies. That (and the sights of Stockholm and Swedish countryside) made the movies entirely realistic to me. 8/10 for each.
It's weird, but I haven't seen the first movie yet - but since out of the 3 books 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' was my favorite, I hope I will not be disappointed when I finally have a chance to see it.

Emily
12-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - 8.5/10

I seriously loved this movie. The animation was fantastic, the voices were great, and I loved the story. Granted, owls are my favorite animal and I'm a sucker for most kinds of adventure movies, but this honestly was a great watch. Parts of it were genuinely scary, and I fell in love with about 6 of the characters. I'd reccomend this to anyone, especially peeps with kids.

haunted.lunchbox
12-20-2010, 07:54 AM
How to Train Your Dragon is absolutely fantastic! Loved those cat-like facial expressions of Toothless :)

Watched The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest - and enjoyed both. I especially liked the casting - Noomi Rapace is a very good fit for the role, she's just as I imagined Lisbeth Salander; also in general it felt right to see 'normal'-looking actors, not some 'sexiest men/women alive', in these movies. That (and the sights of Stockholm and Swedish countryside) made the movies entirely realistic to me. 8/10 for each.
It's weird, but I haven't seen the first movie yet - but since out of the 3 books 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' was my favorite, I hope I will not be disappointed when I finally have a chance to see it.

I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire, but have yet to see Hornet's Nest. I assume it will be great. I'm upset hollywood is remaking them just because there is so many other movies they could do, and the originals are so good.

RainInSpain
12-20-2010, 07:57 AM
I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire, but have yet to see Hornet's Nest. I assume it will be great. I'm upset hollywood is remaking them just because there is so many other movies they could do, and the originals are so good.

Funny that I've been discussing the exact same thing with coworkers today! The movies were on TV here, so quite a few people watched them.
No one is exactly looking forward to Hollywood remakes.

alinda
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
As I am usually "out of the loop" when it comes to new film and music
( No old people jokes please) :lol: I come here to read your reviews
and then update my Netflix que. So this is a thank you to all of you
for writing reviews and putting a thread out here for me to grab on to.
I may even someday be back in that loop! ;)

cozener
12-20-2010, 08:07 AM
C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America

4 out 5

All at once disturbing and very funny....often in the very same instance.

Mattrick
12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/60/igbygoesdown9jw.jpg

Enjoyed this movie a lot, then again I love dark comedies. Entire cast was good. It follows a rich kid (Kieran Culkan) who is a pathological liar and anti-social, who goes from school to school. It's interesting as you watch it, they try to make Igby a likeable character but at the same time he deserves the things that happen to him and at the same time, he earns our sympathy despite him being a rich kid from New York.

8/10

http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/images/fr/products/original/229/85/eternal-sunshine-of-the-spotless-mind-22985926.jpeg

Not writing something on this movie because I'm sure I have before, but it's one of my favourites. Love it top to bottom.

10/10

fernandito
12-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Really ? I haven't seen the HTTYD or Despicable Me, but to me Toy Story 3 is animated perfection. I'll have to watch those two soon to see how they stack up.

Not writing something on this movie because I'm sure I have before, but it's one of my favourites. Love it top to bottom.

10/10

One of the greatest films ever made. Ever. A 10 in every way.

haunted.lunchbox
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I liked Toy Story 3 better than HTTYD, but NOTHING beats Despicable Me. That is a family favorite, pure genius! I also like Megamind, but it's not nearly as good as DM.

Emily
12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/images/fr/products/original/229/85/eternal-sunshine-of-the-spotless-mind-22985926.jpeg

10/10

I'm planning on watching this for the first time this week. I've only ever heard great things about it.

pathoftheturtle
12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
That's because it's totally great.

candy
12-20-2010, 10:53 AM
On the way back from NYC last night, a lady on our bus bought some pirated movies and we played one the bus (Skyline). :lol:

I'll limit my comments to that I'm considerably less upset that I missed it while it was in the theater. It ALMOST had a plot, almost.

you get to watch films on a bus? coooool!!!

i loved HTTYD, although when i first picked it up i have to be honest i was not expecting great things (i only chose it cause the dragon looked like my cat) but i really loved it

Really ? I haven't seen the HTTYD or Despicable Me, but to me Toy Story 3 is animated perfection. I'll have to watch those two soon to see how they stack up.

I would actually agree that HTTYD is a better thought out film than TY3 (i have talked before about my disappointment with the third installment)

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
My issue with Toy Story 3 was that it was meant to make you cry right from the beginning (I think Toy Story 2 is the same). It felt like the whole movie was tugging on your heartstrings and had little to do with telling a story (that wasnt all emotional and predictable) sure you dont go into kids movies looking for a plot, but the whole movie was about them leaving. I get it lets move on.

HTTYD besides making me LOTS of money had a better, more fun, and COOL story. Sure you had the obligatory emotional spot but its about the movie and the story which is just plain fun.

Despicable Me again was fun, better story, and great music. The boys have seen this at least 20 times and beg for more THAT is the true indicator of quality. Let be real I wouldnt watch kid movies if I didnt have kids, so if I had to watch one a billion time it would be DM and HTTYD. And its made me a little bit of money too!

Minions make everything better

haunted.lunchbox
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I never even thought to cry in TS3, I loved it! And they ended it in such a way that it could continue and not be dumb. One movie that got great reviews and I thought was HORRIBLE was Where the Wild things Are. My daughter cried through it and asked me why the Wild Things were always sad. Talk about a HORRIBLE movie for kids! There was no happy go lucky feelings, and it was too emotionally involved for many children to understand. Hated it!

It may be something adults can enjoy through.

fernandito
12-20-2010, 01:01 PM
My issue with Toy Story 3 was that it was meant to make you cry right from the beginning (I think Toy Story 2 is the same). It felt like the whole movie was tugging on your heartstrings and had little to do with telling a story (that wasnt all emotional and predictable) sure you dont go into kids movies looking for a plot, but the whole movie was about them leaving. I get it lets move on.

The thing is that with Toy Story 3, Pixar approached the film knowing that a fairly large part of it's fan base were those , like myself, that had grown up watching TS1 and TS2, and thus ensured that some of the events that occurred had a resounding emotional impact . Andy being portrayed as a coming of age college student ran a direct parallel with those of us who had watched and were awed as children/adolescents by the original film, and although we might recognize the film and it's central characters as ... past times (for lack of a better word) of a by gone era, we still recognize the role they played in our adolescent years.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
I totally understand that, I was 17 I think when I took my baby brother to see Toy Story in the theater. I think its just me personally I dont care for movies that are trying to rip my heart out instead of telling a good story. Its just my opinion that it was mediocre and the first one will always be the very best.

*edit* I think i just realized my main issues as to why I cant get down with the whole growing up and moving on with these toys. You would have to know me to know this, but I've been making my own decisions since I was 2 and have been a grown up for a very long time and at a young age so I think that is why I cant relate. I also have a soon to be 13 year old (my oldest) and these are more her movies than my own. I also have no heart :P

For me I really think when it comes to Pixar Toy Story isnt their best movie, its gotta be The Incredibles and I cant believe there hasnt been a sequel yet. There have been 2 more TS's and even another Cars is coming out soon (terrible terrible movie), I would even rank Nemo in my top 3 before I got to the TS sequels.

fernandito
12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, we'll have to disagree, because I feel that Toy Story 3 managed to be emotionally engaging AND tell a good story at the same time. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Totally, and its all good!

Emily
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I haven't seen Despicable Me, but you should really see HTTYD. It was so awesome.

Darth Pyros
12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

The thing is that with Toy Story 3, Pixar approached the film knowing that a fairly large part of it's fan base were those , like myself, that had grown up watching TS1 and TS2, and thus ensured that some of the events that occurred had a resounding emotional impact . Andy being portrayed as a coming of age college student ran a direct parallel with those of us who had watched and were awed as children/adolescents by the original film, and although we might recognize the film and it's central characters as ... past times (for lack of a better word) of a by gone era, we still recognize the role they played in our adolescent years.

you are completely right sir, i was 6 when toy story came out, i remember the first time i watched it like it was yesterday.(i was totally the asshole kid from down the block that blew up army soldiers with firecrackers.) never has an animated movie(TS3) brought me so close to the brink of crying.

its funny I've seen almost all of these movies you guys are talking about, HTTYD gets a solid 20/10 i was expecting a decent movie, but was mainly only watching it because im a huuuge Craig Ferguson fan, and was just enraptured by the whole movie, seemed like it was over in minutes.

eternal sunshine was phenominal, carey was utter perfection in that movie.

haven't seen despicable me or mega mind yet, but both I've heard only good things about.

me and my mother are going to go to the movies either Christmas eve or day and see either tron, true grit, or Gulliver's travels, leaning towards grit, but i just loves me a good western. Heck, it might sate my yearning for the DT movie(yeah right!!)

recently I've seen a handful of movies, including one called cashback(2006) EXCELLENT brittish film about a struggling art student who breaks up with his girlfriend and gets a job at a grocery store, only to find out he has the ability to stop time. id give it a 9.5/10 and recommend it to anyone into good story telling movies.

another one, i just watched actually about an hour ago is High: the true tale of american marijuana(huzzah for hulu, lol) pretty well made documentary, boils down most of what i already knew about the war on drugs here in america, and some stuff i didn't.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/175938/high-the-true-tale-of-american-marijuana#s-p1-sundefined-i0

Mattrick
12-21-2010, 03:12 AM
http://reviewfix.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/rushmore.jpg
(Rushmore - 1998)
Director: Wes Anderson
Cast - Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams and Bryan Cox
Writers: Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson

I've been waiting 12 years to see this and it was well worth the wait. A very funny yet dark and twisted movie. It has great and colourful characters played by a good ensemble cast. Max Fischer is easily a very likeable and very hatable character, he's an ambitious lazy person, he's a cold-hearted softie and any other oxymoron you can think of. Herman, played by Murray, was the character of the movie. His relationship with Max shows the void in his life with his own sons who he wishes were different and his lust for Miss Cross stems from his selfish needs in a listless marriage, his desire to see Max grow and learn lessons of life but it was obvious he was craving competition most of all, after years of living a comfortable life. Olivia Williams is charming as Miss Cross who finds herself looking for a friend and getting much more. Brian Cox was a great addition and his scene in the hospital was pricelss.

My friend lent me his Wes Anderson collection as all I'd seen (and loved) was Royal Tenenbaums. Bottle Rocket is next.

8/10

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPO/503618.jpg
(Primal Fear - 1996)
Director: Gregory Hoblit
Starring: Richard Gere, Laura Linney, Edward Norton, John Mahoney and Terry O'Quinn
Writers: Steve Shagan and Ann Biderman

Been years since I'd seen it and since it's not new, I'll be breif. Mahoney/Norton steal this movie, Gere shows he's a capable actor, Linney shows how good and for how long she's been good. Gregory Hoblits usage of wood throughout the hole movie is interesting.I wonder if it's just to give that courtroom look to the whole movie or if there is some symbolism there. This movie is how 'twist' endings should be.

8/10

turtlex
12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Hey Mattrick ? Could you please put the names of the movies in your actual write-ups? Not all the pictures of the movies posters are coming through for me ( probably because of hosting issues and firewalls at work ) ... thanks, man.

Ricky
12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
you get to watch films on a bus? coooool!!!

Yeah, we took a charter out and it's one of those buses meant for long-distance travel (TVs, bathroom, etc.)

It felt like the whole movie was tugging on your heartstrings and had little to do with telling a story (that wasnt all emotional and predictable) sure you dont go into kids movies looking for a plot, but the whole movie was about them leaving. I get it lets move on.

I agree with you there. Way too much time was spent on the "emotional" aspect (as far as animation can be emotional) of the film, rather than story/plot. For me, it was just a re-hash of Toy Story 2, but with a new antagonist and other toys. Same formula, imo.

candy
12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
recently I've seen a handful of movies, including one called cashback(2006) EXCELLENT brittish film about a struggling art student who breaks up with his girlfriend and gets a job at a grocery store, only to find out he has the ability to stop time. id give it a 9.5/10 and recommend it to anyone into good story telling movies.

that sounds really interesting, and its one i haven't heard of. i shall look out for that one
cheers:clap:

fernandito
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
you are completely right sir, i was 6 when toy story came out, i remember the first time i watched it like it was yesterday.(i was totally the asshole kid from down the block that blew up army soldiers with firecrackers.) never has an animated movie(TS3) brought me so close to the brink of crying.

It's okay, you're not alone man. (holds back manly tears)

Mattrick
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I think you're all getting too emotional about the toy story movies. I think they're all equal, they all deal with different things. All were funny and true to the series.

Mattrick
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey Mattrick ? Could you please put the names of the movies in your actual write-ups? Not all the pictures of the movies posters are coming through for me ( probably because of hosting issues and firewalls at work ) ... thanks, man.

Fixed.

turtlex
12-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Fixed.

Thanks, man. My firewall at work blocks the stupidest stuff ... so sometimes I have to try and figure out what movie you were talking about by your desciption!

fernandito
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I think you're all getting too emotional about the toy story movies.

NO SUCH THING.

kluker
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Watched Stargate: ARk or Truth
And I love that it continues after the end of SG-1 so if your a Stargate fan it is defently a most see I give it a 20/20

Going to watch Other Guys tonight

Mattrick
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I think you're all getting too emotional about the toy story movies.

NO SUCH THING.

lol. I guess for some people it embodies the child inside all of us and while I loved my toys as a kid, I never really had an emotional connection to them. To be honest, I was rooting for the incinerator to get them. that would have been a dark and traumatizing ending for kids haha.

I think all the Toy Story movies are great trough if I had to pick one I liked most, it would be number 2. Mostly due to Wayne Knight, Kelsey Grammar and the other Buzz/Zurg which I find hilarious

pathoftheturtle
12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
...if I had to pick one I liked most, it would be number 2. Mostly due to Wayne Knight, Kelsey Grammar and the other Buzz/Zurg which I find hilariousI can't wait to hear feev's response to that. I have a feeling it may give new meaning to the phrase "getting too emotional." :lol:

Mattrick
12-22-2010, 12:00 AM
http://www.the-frat-pack.com/images/posters/bottlerocket-dvd.jpg
Bottle Rocket [1996]
Cast: Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Bob Musgrave, James Caan

This was an entertaining movie. The acting was by no means brilliant but it had a charm to it. The characters are all kind of parodies of themselves. I don't think any of the characters really grow. Hard to tell if Luke Wilson's character does because it seems all his growing took place before the movie even started. Considering this movie was made by unknowns that all came to be big hollywood players makes it such an interesting movie to watch. The movie feels like friends making a movie because that's what it was. A lot of the buddy stuff in the movie felt genuine, not as if they were playing themselves. Anderson and the Wilsons are not unlike the characters; though instead of being criminals for something to do, they made a movie about it.

7/10

http://the20somethingsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/thelifeaquatic.jpg
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zizzou [2004]
Writers: Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach
Cast: Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Anjelica Huston, Cate Blanchette, Jeff Goldblum

This was a wonderful movie. Lighthearted while being serious. Steve Zizzou is a charismatic man who lost his charisma, a star who lost it's appeal and man grasping at what he had. Murray portrays the character with low-key approach, he's morose and sully. Though when He starts a fire fight with some pirates He springs to life as if the boredom is slapped out of him and he's suddenly alive. Owen Wilson was very good, playing a much different character than usual. Dafoe stood out for his comedic abilities, perfect casting for that role. The rest of the ensemble cast fit right in. And I don't care what anyone says, Jeff Goldblum fucking rules.

The marine life was done with stop motion and gave a nice effect. Wes Anderson is my favourite director for using colour and sets to tell a story, PT Anderson being second. Something about Andersons and that. I can't say enough about Anderson's skills as a filmmaker. Sadly my friend doesn't own Fantastic Mr. Fox so after Darjeeling my Anderson discovery is over for now.

9/10

turtlex
12-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Feev?!? Dearheart? Welcome to my world. :huglove: :couple: Just sayin'.

fernandito
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Feev?!? Dearheart? Welcome to my world. :huglove: :couple: Just sayin'.

:lol: Seriously !

:wub:

kluker
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Watched Other Guys last night and I really liked it but then I might be baised since I love anything with Marky Mark in it. But it was funny and had a good story to it. I give it a 10/10

pathoftheturtle
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
...The Life Aquatic with Steve Zizzou [2004]...This was a wonderful movie. ... 9/10:orely: I heard it stunk. Guess I will try it after all. Thanks, M.

turtlex
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Um... just a warning Path ... I found Life Aquatic to be about a 7/10. It's quirky for quirky-sake, it felt to me.

fernandito
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Um... just a warning Path ... I found Life Aquatic to be about a 7/10. It's quirky for quirky-sake, it felt to me.

Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of Anderson's films, he injects quirkyness into certain scenes just for quirky-sake. I've found that there's no middle ground with his films - you either love them or hate em.

Mattrick
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, as much as I love Wes Anderson, not all his movies are easily acceptable. They're presented in a certain style, acted a certain way but they have this charm I just love. His humour is pretty dry and you have to pay attention to the actors and their characters to understand some of it. He goes for the smart joke, not the big joke and I like like that.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bhLdvJaQI1g/TK0TgmNKO6I/AAAAAAAAKVQ/qdcRx9L2SBQ/S1600-R/darjeeling-limited-poster.jpg
Darjeeling Limited [2007]
Writers: Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman
Cast: Owen Wilson, Adrian Brody, Jason Schwartzman

This movie starts out with a cliche path that it doesn't take. It starts to be a movie about estranged brothers bonding at the command of Francis (Owen Wilson). His younger brothers Peter (Brody) and Jack (Schwartzman) humour his brother at first, because he was in a motorcycle accident that left him pretty beat up. The backdrop is India but they don't really explore India. India isn't simply a setting for the movie but a character. India gives them all a fresh place to start over with each other. They take everything India gives them like it's normal, not once reacting to the strangeland. Now, you expect the brothers to bond but they really don't. It's as if the movie plays they go deeper within the role they already play to each other. They try though, they do try. In the end, the three brothers, to me, simply realized their relationships were just fine how they were and they didn't need to change.

9/10

Really hard for me to pick between Tenenbaums and Darjeeling as my favourite Wes Anderson movie...will have to rewatch Darjeeling again to know.

haunted.lunchbox
12-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I just watched Fire, Walk With Me, the prequel movie to Twin Peaks. It got horrible reviews. In fact, when it was initially shown many people walked out of the movie. The first 15 minutes were laughably horrible; however, when it got into the actual Twin Peaks scenes it was like I was teleported back to the first season of the show. It was very enjoyable, and there were many questions answered. It wasn't the best movie, but not nearly as bad as the reviews say.

6/10

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-23-2010, 11:20 PM
So a person should watch Season 1 and then the movie?

Mattrick
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.movieposteraddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mpamagnoliaposter.jpg
Magnolia [1999]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
Writer: Paul Thomas Anderson
Cast: Tom Cruise, John C. Rielly, Phillip Baker Hall, Julianne Moore, Melora Walters, William H. Macy, Phillip Seymour Hoffman

I had to watch this movie a second time because it's so dense to really be able to comment on it. There is just so much to it. First off, Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie and it was the role he was born to play. His entire character is amusing in figuring him out, his chauvanistic and belittling of women stems from his own father, whom he hates and is estranged, yet is more like him than he knows. John C. Reilly's character of Jim is interesting, he's the one character who is clean, open and honest; he doesn't curse (which is prominent in the film) he often prays to god and actually believes that he's making a difference, no matter how small.

The movie plays like a merry-go-round, swirling around these intersecting lives. At first the scenes are longer then they switch from person to person faster. First once it can almost hard to follow. It's interesting how the characters are connected to each other and how you can take any character in the movie and tie them into it all. Much like a flower and it's petals, they're all connected through the center of the flower and the stem. I won't reveal the centerpiece because it's very subtle and I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

All the characters in this movie are flawed. Many are victims to their own regrets and victims of burying their real feelings to the point when they come out, they no longer recognize themselves. The movie tackles many issues such as molestation, gold digging, chauvanism, child prodigies, exploitation and many other things. But it's all woven so well into the context of the characters that it doesn't feel heavy, despite it's density.

This is a fantastic movie. And while I think this movie is better, I still like Punch Drunk Love more.

9/10

http://img.listal.com/image/productsus/1000/B00005BKZE/movies/things-you-can-tell-just.jpg
Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her [1999]
Director: Rodrigo Garcia
Writer: Rodrigo Garcia
Cast: Glenn Close, Cameron Diaz, Holly Hunter, Amy Brenneman, Calista Flockhart, Kathy Baker, Matt Craven

Rodgrigo Garcia is a very good writer. I watched his second movie, 'Nine Lives' recently as well. My friend says (and it's painfully obvious) that Garcia is obsessed with women and what makes them tick, so to speak. This movie portrays the lives of a handful of women, in separate short films. One is a children's book writer (Baker) who lives with her teenage son; another a blind woman (Diaz) who lives with her detective Sister Kathy (Brenneman); one is a psychic (Flockhart) who's lover is dying and Bank Manager (Hunter) whose taught lessons though a homeless woman.

These stories are losely connected, some characters cross over. All characters are tied together in the last story of the movie but again, losely. It closes with a segment that shows the results of the struggles of each woman's struggles and the possibilities that arise from it. "Only a fool would speculate about the life of a woman." Diaz's Carol says to her sister, nearly the closing line of the movie. Garcia definitely speculates and seems to enjoy it.

The actors all do their job and they get a great script to work with. Garcia isn't the greatest at using the camera. His shots are often basic and almost empty, relying on his actors to create each scene. This quality adds to his films, in my opinion. Some people may consider this movie boring or without point or plot. It doesn't contain any plot and even the individual stories are about the character they focus on. His movies are as if someone filmed a persons whole life and edited out one day and made a short film. Which, to me is wholely significant to the subject at hand.

8/10

Rodrigo Garcia is also the creator of In Treatment, which is an excellent television show. Yes, I'm plugging TV in a movie thread. WATCH IT.

turtlex
12-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Mattrick - It's funny. I can completely and utterly agree with you in one second and then wonder if we've seen the same movie in the next.

Magnolia - I loved it. LOVED IT. I might even give it a 10/10. Can I ask what made you give it a 9? I think Tom Cruise is just outstanding here. I am sure I've mentioned it elsewhere, but one of my all time favorite scenes - anywhere - is the interview scene with Tom just sitting there and when he's asked what he's doing, he says "What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiKPCOaDhfo

Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her - OMG. It was like a bad made for TV movie. I'd give it a 4/10, tops. And that's only because of some of the cast bringing so much to a horrible script. Can I ask why you happened to watch this one? ( it's kind of obscure )

Mattrick
12-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Mattrick - It's funny. I can completely and utterly agree with you in one second and then wonder if we've seen the same movie in the next.

Magnolia - I loved it. LOVED IT. I might even give it a 10/10. Can I ask what made you give it a 9? I think Tom Cruise is just outstanding here. I am sure I've mentioned it elsewhere, but one of my all time favorite scenes - anywhere - is the interview scene with Tom just sitting there and when he's asked what he's doing, he says "What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you."

Funny enough, I was questioning my own rating as I dwelled on Magnolia some more and realized I should have given it ten of ten. It is a masterwork. I often save my 10 of 10s for movies that have a lot to consider and ponder and the visuals are excellent. That is why I gave Little Children 10 of 10 because.

Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her - OMG. It was like a bad made for TV movie. I'd give it a 4/10, tops. And that's only because of some of the cast bringing so much to a horrible script. Can I ask why you happened to watch this one? ( it's kind of obscure )[/quote]

Rodrigo Garcia. I love In Treatment and my friend likes Rodrigo Garcia so I gave him In Treatment, he gave me his movies. 9 Lives by him is simply excellent. All his movies though are snipets, no over-arching plots, loosely connected. I'm a huge fan of Garcia as a writer because he gets people. He's fascinated with people, most notablely, women. Things You Can Tell is all about superficial qualities and how they related to personal, hidden qualities. It shows that strengths can also be a weakness. Garcia likes to show people during intense emotional times and he knows to direct his actors for it.

I gotta go...I'll expand this when I'm home later

haunted.lunchbox
12-24-2010, 02:40 PM
So a person should watch Season 1 and then the movie?

Part of season two also, until they solve the murder. Then consider yourself lucky if you never hear any of what happened in the second half of season 2.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I feel like I have to watch it because I want to see a cross dressing Mulder!

Mattrick
12-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Funny enough, I was questioning my own rating as I dwelled on Magnolia some more and realized I should have given it ten of ten. It is a masterwork. I often save my 10 of 10s for movies that have a lot to consider and ponder and the visuals are excellent. That is why I gave Little Children 10 of 10 because.

Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her - OMG. It was like a bad made for TV movie. I'd give it a 4/10, tops. And that's only because of some of the cast bringing so much to a horrible script. Can I ask why you happened to watch this one? ( it's kind of obscure )

Rodrigo Garcia. I love In Treatment and my friend likes Rodrigo Garcia so I gave him In Treatment, he gave me his movies. 9 Lives by him is simply excellent. All his movies though are snipets, no over-arching plots, loosely connected. I'm a huge fan of Garcia as a writer because he gets people. He's fascinated with people, most notablely, women. Things You Can Tell is all about superficial qualities and how they related to personal, hidden qualities. It shows that strengths can also be a weakness. Garcia likes to show people during intense emotional times and he knows to direct his actors for it.

Ten Things is a movie that is about what you see compared to what you get. Sure there are things you can tell about people by simply looking at them but there are things you also cannot. This is what the movie delves into; the hope and despair and the conditioning that's done to make it through daily lives. Each of the characters in the movie are left in an emotional precipice. The last couple minutes of movie sums it up nicely and we get a little resolution to the rejections each of the women just experienced and we are left with hope that the women will find what they are looking for and will be no longer trapped. Cameron Diaz's character is a favourite of mine because she is blind yet seems to see situations and people more clearly than everyone else.

And I'm just going to say this now...Holly Hunter has the sexiest voice in Hollywood.

Mattrick
12-25-2010, 10:11 AM
http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/39/3900/B1QJF00Z.jpg
Bad Santa [2003]
Director: Terry Zqigoff
Writers: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Cast: Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Holly and Bernie Mac

This is my idea of a Christmas movie. It's barely sappy. Willie (Thornton) is a despicable person. He hates kids, drinks, has sex all the time, is rude, disrespectful, foul-mouthed commits crimes naturally; worst of all is he preys on Christmas. He uses an image of Santa Claus, the benelovent, generous and jolly man who gives the children of the world presents. Willie has none of these qualities and uses the costume of santa, along with his midget parter (Cox) to rob the malls he works in blind.

There are so many images in this movie that, if they were to happen in real life, would trauatize the hell out of a child. There is the shooting of a santa claus, a drunk santa claus who falls all over his set and that one poor, shy kid who disturbed Santa Willie on his lunch break only get a yelling (with a side of lettuce) in his face. I feel these images allow you to hate the character even more than you would for him just being a miserable prickish, drunk. Now enter The Kid (I believe he reveals his name to be thurman); an overweight, quiet and timid kid, who lives with his grandma because his dad is in jail (but he believes he's adventuring in the mountains). This kid is the epitome of innocence. He takes the berating and yelling from Willie in stride, as if he doesn't notice or isn't willing to notice. Willie first intends to rob this kids house blind but ends up coming back. the patheticness of the kid causes him to teach him things, how to stick up for himself etc.

The movie has some good supporting characters; the jewish girl with a Santa fetish, the controlling midget, the bumbling mall operator (late John Ritter) and a metrosexual tough security chief (late Bernie Mac), who round out this cast full of oddballs. In the end the movie delivers a nice christmas message which is all the more effective coming from such a no good drunk, such as Willie. We need more Christmas movies that aren't good for the entire family and go straight for the juggular like this one does.

I love the woman who plays the kids grandmother. I think all her lines in the movie are 'let me get you some sandwiches' and the line is so perfectly timed.

7/10

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Thats on our Christmas rotation! Love it

Mattrick
12-25-2010, 10:22 AM
lol, it is my christmas rotation. Though I also enjoy watching Love Actually and Home Alone at christmas. Holdiay movies end there for me lol.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-25-2010, 10:24 AM
The only other movie on that rotation is The Nightmare Before Christmas and thats only because we have kids! Well Spike always runs the Star Wars movies every holiday and we always manage to watch some of them, so maybe that counts too

Mattrick
12-25-2010, 10:42 AM
LOL, I didn't know Jedi's celebrated Christmas. Maybe it's a Sith tradition.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-25-2010, 10:46 AM
LOL, I didn't know Jedi's celebrated Christmas. Maybe it's a Sith tradition.

Clearly :P

frik
12-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Watched Little Fockers a couple of days ago....Awful movie!
Simply not funny and such a waste of so much talent - imagine, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Harvey Keitell, Blythe Danner, Laura Dern all in one movie and all they could come up with was this.
Yuck!

1/5

sk

turtlex
12-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Ten Things is a movie that is about what you see compared to what you get. Sure there are things you can tell about people by simply looking at them but there are things you also cannot. This is what the movie delves into; the hope and despair and the conditioning that's done to make it through daily lives. Each of the characters in the movie are left in an emotional precipice. The last couple minutes of movie sums it up nicely and we get a little resolution to the rejections each of the women just experienced and we are left with hope that the women will find what they are looking for and will be no longer trapped. Cameron Diaz's character is a favourite of mine because she is blind yet seems to see situations and people more clearly than everyone else.

And I'm just going to say this now...Holly Hunter has the sexiest voice in Hollywood.

Oh, so it was Rodrigo Garcia that brought you to 10 Things. I was completly wondering about that.

I understanding what 10 Things is about and what it is striving to be, I just think it missed it's mark. BIG TIME. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I thought Cameron Diaz was ... well, bad. And not believable at all. I liked Holly and Glenn Close, but even they couldn't save it from being a big stinker for me.

Holly Hunter - An amazing actress ( and yes, a great voice ). Have you ever seen her TV Series that was on TNT? Saving Grace? One of the most rewarding and moving I've seen. She's just phenom in it.

haunted.lunchbox
12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I feel like I have to watch it because I want to see a cross dressing Mulder!

I was ALMOST able to forget about that....

haunted.lunchbox
12-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Watched Little Fockers a couple of days ago....Awful movie!
Simply not funny and such a waste of so much talent - imagine, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Harvey Keitell, Blythe Danner, Laura Dern all in one movie and all they could come up with was this.
Yuck!

1/5

sk

I find this sad because my husband and I just got done watching the other two and are looking forward to the third. I haven't seen it get but from the preview I feel like I have an understanding. I think that instead of following the same formula of putting them against each other, they should team them up to fight against someone else.

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Just watched From Paris With Love, featuring John Travolta and I must say it was awesome. John Travolta has always been a favorite of mine, and he didn't disappoint! It's not one of those movies that you have to sit and think about the plot or solve some kind of mystery, it does have a little bit of mystery, but you aren't ever focused on it because of all the action going on. This reminded me of Shoot em' Up with Clive Owens.

8/10

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Loved Shoot 'em up. Seriously one of the best mindless movies ever for me.

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Then you'll love From Paris With Love.

Mattrick
12-28-2010, 07:04 PM
From Paris With Love looks simply ghastly. Never catch me watching that one.

http://www.rochellesychua.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/taken-movie-poster.jpg
Taken [2008]
Director: don't care
Writer: Even more pointless
Cast: Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Jannsen, Xander Berkely, Leland Orser.

This movie got progessively worse as it went. They forgot about characters, left things hanging. Maggie Grace who plays Neeson's daughter is the most selfish person ever. Her friend Amanda dies in the film and when her Neeson rescues the daughter there is no 'where is my best friend?' no crying, no questions, no 'can you kill to get her too?' They simply go back to the states, have a tearful reunion with Famke Jansen and Xander Berkeley (24 shoutout!) and go see a celebrity and it's happy. Maybe we're supposed to forget the introduced characters and plotlines. Where was the climactic battle full of emotion? That happened halfway through the movie and it ended up like Finding Nemo, he found his daughter and kept losing her.

Neeson played the role well (omg he can finally do an American accent!) but to any 24 fan...we've seen Jack Bauer do the same stuff except better..including get his taken daughter back and it was done much better. First half of Taken = 7/10, second half = 3/10 so I'm going to give it a:

5/10

http://www.postercheckout.com/PrintImagesNew/MOV/337628.jpg
The Squid and the Whale [2005]
Director: Noah Baumbach
Writer: Noah Baumbach
Cast: Jeff Daniels, Laura Linney, Jesse Eisenberg, Owen Kline, William Baldwin, Anna Paquin

This was a real good movie. Really well acted and well written. It's based on Baumbach's own experiences which makes sense. As someone who's parents separated it felt really authentic. Some of the movie was almost too much. A lot of the movie was unintentionally funny, at least it felt like it to me. The entire family is damaged and none of them know how to deal with it nor do they know who to blame, who to hate and who to love. Eisenbergs character was interesting because he was so stoic, he doesn't know how to feel or when to feel his emotions. You can tell he's angry but not very angry. In the movie he decides to stay with his father until later a school therapist (cameo by Ken Leung) helps him realize his mother was the one who gave him a good memory to hold on too.

The movie is awkward and it shows through in the editing and how awkwardly it cuts. Baumbach is a very good director and writer, so I'll have to check the rest of his movies.

8/10

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
We didnt care for Taken either. It just wrapped itself up too easily

haunted.lunchbox
12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm interested in Taken because I've always been interested in sex trafficing, the stories of the women that have been saved from trafficing are amazing. I do want to see Taken, but probably wont for a while.

Emily
12-28-2010, 10:58 PM
My roommate and I watched Taken a week before I left for Europe, and it freaked me the fuck out. The movie itself was pretty poor, but afterwards I was like I'm going to get kidnapped?

fernandito
12-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I loved Taken. that is all.

pathoftheturtle
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Neeson's name no longer means a thing to me. He just keeps appearing in so many turkeys.

fernandito
12-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Eh, I guess he's just at that age where he's taking any gig thrown his way, most aging actors go through that phase because of their dwindling opportunities to star in titular roles. De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson, etc.

Mattrick
12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Not sure how you can say that about Nicholson. About Schmidt, As Good As It Gets, The Pledge, The Departed and Something Gotta Give? All good movies. Sure he made Anger Management and Bucket List but I can forgive him for those, considering his other movies. Pacino and most definitely De Niro I agree with. De Niro has made some stinkers, that's for sure. Nicholson made his stinkers late 80's early 90's.

fernandito
12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I can say that about Nicholson because he appeared in How Do You Know, which is easily amongst the decades worst and is alone worth 3 stinkers.

How Do You Know, Anger Management, The Bucket List, even About Schmidt was pretty 'meh'.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
About Schmidt was pretty blah

haunted.lunchbox
12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
The Bucket List was awesome!

Mattrick
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I can say that about Nicholson because he appeared in How Do You Know, which is easily amongst the decades worst and is alone worth 3 stinkers.

How Do You Know, Anger Management, The Bucket List, even About Schmidt was pretty 'meh'.

I haven't seen how do you know. About Schmidt meh? Movie is awesome. I watch at least once a year. Alexander Payne is the man. Nicholson got an oscar nom for it too, which he definitely deserved, it was by no means a stinker. Anger Management and Bucket List were also still enjoyed by plenty of people. Bucket List has a 7.5 on IMDB. By general consensus it was good, but I fuckin hated it. He's done nothing even close to Hide and Seek, Little Fockers, Righteous Kill or Two for the Money, in terms of stinkerdom. I can allow every great actor a few safe films now and then. It's when your name gets tarnished the way Nicholas Cage's or De Niro's, Robin Williams...they don't rebound well. It's impossible to tell how a movie will turn out when actors sign on. I'm sure Nicholson had faith in James L. Brooks considering how well they work together. Sometimes a movie is just bad and it's not anyones fault, it just doesn't work.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
And not everybody likes the same thing too

fernandito
12-30-2010, 10:19 AM
http://www.axiom.tv/images/videos/fight-club-dvd.jpg

Rewatched this film after not having seen it for years. What a wonderfully chaotic, multi-layered film. It tackles a myriad of themes, but it's central theme of anti-consumerism is perennially relevant and thus the film has retained it's grip and impact on modern culture. Deftly directed by Fincher, picture perfect use of music, and incredible performances by the ensemble cast, this is one of the previous decade's latest and greatest.

10/10

Mattrick
12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I like Fight Club but it's overrated. I would like to read the book, though. I like the first half of fight club more than the second.

fernandito
12-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Agree with the first half being better than the second.

Mattrick
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I watched The Darjeeling Limited again before I give it back to my friend and I really enjoyed it the second time. 500 Days of Summer had a great re-watch value and I really gotta get my hands on a copy. Love the shit out of that movie.

pathoftheturtle
12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
About Schmidt is a flavorful film about a flavorless subject.

Mattrick
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
About Schmidt is a flavorful film about a flavorless subject.

How great is the opening scene?

kluker
12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I know this is really off topic but Jack Nicholson was being talked about a few post back, he gets money for every single batman thing that touches base with the Joker.

haunted.lunchbox
12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
The opening scene was awesome!

Erin
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I LOVE Fight Club. Brad Pitt was amazing in it.

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2010, 07:12 AM
I know this is really off topic but Jack Nicholson was being talked about a few post back, he gets money for every single batman thing that touches base with the Joker.What? Even Batman cartoons? Does he get money for comics?

alinda
12-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Last film I viewed? Shutter Island.....4/10 ...very meh.

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2010, 08:00 AM
The Ghost Writer -- A far better thriller than Shutter Island but still not quite Hitchcock. The political message is good, if simplistic. Visually, it's superbly crafted, and filled all around with solid acting. You rarely see a bit part played as impressively as in this film's Eli Wallach scene. 7/10

fernandito
12-31-2010, 08:58 AM
The Town -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz / 10

kluker
12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I just watch a movie called Smiley Face last night I would give it a 6/10
It was such a boring movie but I had to finish watching cause it was one of the movies were it was putting you to sleep but you wanted to see the ending of it.
Its about a girl who is a pot head living a creepy uber nerd. He makes some pot cupcakes she eats them and the rest of the movie is following her around as she messes up and looks stupid. It was an okay movie and if you need a movie to help you sleep I would sujust this one.

Also watching Shawshank Redemption the other night I give that one a 7/10 cause I didn't like that it didn't follow the book fully It had the main parts right but I was erked that they didn't have his cell mates then the warden chances and such. But if I hadn't read the book first the movie would have gotten 10/10

Dear John was another movie that I watched the other night. Now to me that movie gets a big 20/10.
I love sparks movies and I love this movie just for the fact that he actually had a somewhat happy ending, yes there was still people who died and made you cry but the main charaters didn't so that was a new one for me. But I absolutly loved Dear John.

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I hate it when a movie follows a book I've read fully. Unless there's little changes to appreciate, I always feel like I would have preferred to just read the book again anyway.

Mattrick
12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Dear John was another movie that I watched the other night. Now to me that movie gets a big 20/10.
I love sparks movies and I love this movie just for the fact that he actually had a somewhat happy ending, yes there was still people who died and made you cry but the main charaters didn't so that was a new one for me. But I absolutly loved Dear John.

I enjoyed this movie as well, considering I had bad expectations with a dramatic movie being played by Seyfreid and Tatum. Loved Richard Jenkins in it though, he was too great.

Heather19
12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
The Town -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz / 10

:o
Did you not like it?!

boq
12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Finally got around to watching 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Loved the scene between Fox and Badger when they were negotiating buying the (tree) house.
A very unusual movie - 8/10.

Mattrick
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm dying to see that one. Only Wes Anderson movie I haven't seen.

fernandito
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
The Town -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz / 10

Did you not like it?!

Put it this way, I can't remember the last time I wanted a movie to end so badly. Jeremy Renner was the films only saving grace, delivering a sinister yet compelling performance, but even his beacon of light couldn't shine through the abyss of Ben Affleck's monotonous, wooden "acting" and an extremely by the numbers script. It was just ... blah.

Heather19
12-31-2010, 06:42 PM
The Town -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz / 10

Did you not like it?!

Put it this way, I can't remember the last time I wanted a movie to end so badly. Jeremy Renner was the films only saving grace, delivering a sinister yet compelling performance, but even his beacon of light couldn't shine through the abyss of Ben Affleck's monotonous, wooden "acting" and an extremely by the numbers script. It was just ... blah.

:cry:
It's one of my favorites from this year.

Still Servant
01-01-2011, 08:11 AM
The Town -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz / 10

Did you not like it?!

We usually agree on a lot of films, Feev, but I think you are off on this one. It's easily one of the best films of the year.

I know people love to hate on Affleck, but his performance here was solid. Is it a paint by numbers heist film? Maybe, but what's wrong with that if you do it well and The Town did it very well? Some of the action scenes had me on the edge of my seat and the final heist is right up there with Heat.

I think you might need to watch this one again at some point.

Mordred Deschain
01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Tron: Legacy 8/10. It was good, and refreshing to see some visual updates. The 3D was alright but nothing special. The story line was alright. there is one CGI thing with this movie that reminded me of watching Beowulf. Now I have to go watch the original again.

kluker
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Watched Shutter Island last night and I loved it.
20/10
I loved that it had alot of twist in it and I can honestly say I never saw the end coming. That surprised me. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 08:31 AM
True Grit - 7/10

Not the best Coen film, but still highly enjoyable.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 08:33 AM

I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry then willingly submit myself to Affleck's torturous acting and spoon fed Boston "accent". Seriously.

Still Servant
01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
To each his own. Some people just cannot get past their hatred for an actor. I don't get it.

Go watch Good Will Hunting and come back here and tell me Affleck can't act. I dare you.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
To each his own. Some people just cannot get past their hatred for an actor. I don't get it.

I could very easily turn that around and say that some people can't get past their exuberant love for an actor to see his flaws :P

And that's just the thing, I don't hate Affleck. He was my favorite part of Dogma. I even loved him in Daredevil for God's sake. But here, in this film, he was horrible, plain and simple.

cozener
01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Falling Down

4 out of 5 stars. Depressed me so I had to neg it a star. :)

blavigne
01-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Falling Down

4 out of 5 stars. Depressed me so I had to neg it a star. :)

Great movie! I loved it, but you are right it is a touch on the depressing side.

pathoftheturtle
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I usually give movies extra stars for depressing realism. Especially Falling Down. A real cult classic.

...Affleck's ... spoon fed Boston "accent". ...This, I do not understand. What was the problem with his accent? You'd think it'd come naturally.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
You'd think so, wouldn't you ? It doesn't unfortunately. He over delivers it, feels forced. Watch the film and you'll see what I mean.

haunted.lunchbox
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Legion
4 out of 5 stars

A little confusing and a little bit draggy... but I liked the concepts.

I can't wait to rewatch this movie! LOVES it!

Still Servant
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM

I could very easily turn that around and say that some people can't get past their exuberant love for an actor to see his flaws :P

And that's just the thing, I don't hate Affleck. He was my favorite part of Dogma. I even loved him in Daredevil for God's sake. But here, in this film, he was horrible, plain and simple.

I actually don't love Affleck, I just don't see why people give him such a hard time. I do love Matt Damon though. He's my favorite actor.

I guess I will just have to disagree with you on The Town and Ben's performance, along with most other critics I might add. :P

Still Servant
01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Black Swan 9.5/10

Black Swan is the biggest case of life imitating art in the history of cinema. Natalie Portman gives a haunting performance as a ballerina that is literally uncomfortable in her own body to the point where she claws and scratches at her own skin.

Portman plays Nina Sayers, a ballerina going out for the pivotal role in the play Swan Lake. The director, played by Vincent Cassel, is convinced that she can play White Swan perfectly. He’s just not convinced she can play White Swan’s evil twin, Black Swan.

In order to find the Black Swan in herself, she must become a different person. She must let go of her safe life and unlock a darker, more uninhibited side of her personality. This seems like an impossible task considering Nina lives with her mother (Barbara Hershey) in a small New York apartment. Her child-like demeanor and naiveté is evidenced by her bedroom, with the butterfly wallpaper and polka-dot bed sheets. In order to get even a second of privacy, Nina barricades herself in the bathroom and her bedroom.

When the films starts, Nina is already a very fragile person. What makes things worse is that everybody in her life helps push her to the edge of madness. Her ballet-obsessed mother, who gives new meaning to the overbearing stage mom; her director, who seems to be attracted to her, but whether it’s genuine or some sick game to get her to unleash her inner Black Swan is unclear; and hen there’s Lilly, played by Mila Kunis in a career-defining performance.

Kunis plays Lilly, a fellow member of the dance company, who may or may not be out to sabotage Nina and her dream of being the perfect White and Black Swan. Nina’s quest for perfection sends her into a tailspin of paranoid delusions and psychotic hallucinations. Lilly is the main reason for Nina’s paranoia. She is almost the spitting image of Nina, except she is everything Nina needs to be in order to nail the part of Black Swan. She’s laid back, free spirited and, most of all, she exudes sexuality.

Black Swan boasts one of the better musical scores you will find in a film all year. The heart pounding orchestral numbers will have you on the edge of your seat - especially in the last 30 minutes of the film.

With Black Swan, Darren Aronofsky has woven a taut, psychological thriller like nothing I’ve ever seen. It deals with the physical and emotional tolls that being a professional dancer can have on a person. It also shows how a person can literally destroy themselves in the quest for perfection.

haunted.lunchbox
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Your review is taunting me. I haven't gotten to see it yet.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Glad you enjoyed Black Swan, Mike. It truly is an incredible film. I'm actually going to take my sister to watch it again tonight :D

Mattrick
01-03-2011, 09:36 PM

I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry then willingly submit myself to Affleck's torturous acting and spoon fed Boston "accent". Seriously.

Affleck isn't that bad. And I've enjoyed his directing abilities so far. I really enjoyed his cameo in Boiler Room. Heavily inspired by Alec Baldwin in Glengary Glenross. I could easily deal with Affleck in a leading role if the supporting cast is as good as The Towns was.

cozener
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I actually don't love Affleck, I just don't see why people give him such a hard time. Y'know, I don't get that either. I'm not saying the guy is the best actor out there but he's better than most.

Heather19
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM

This makes me sad. I wasn't overly thrilled with his acting in this one either, but it didn't stop me from loving the film :couple: Also I think he's excellent behind the camera, and I hope he makes many more films.

I can't remember, have you seen Gone Baby Gone Feev? And if so did you like it?

kluker
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Just got done watching The Unthinkable really good movie about terrorism bombs torture all good things.
I give it a 10/10
Samuel L Jackson has the crazy guy thing down pack

fernandito
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Nope, but I've read good things ! Well ... mostly from you and Mike :lol: Is it worth getting on netflix ?

Heather19
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM

Nope, but I've read good things ! Well ... mostly from you and Mike :lol: Is it worth getting on netflix ?

Yes, definitely! I think you'll like it a lot more than The Town.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Gone Baby Gone was pretty good throughout, but I HATED how it ended!

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Gone Baby Gone was pretty good throughout, but I HATED how it ended!

Same here.

One time watcher because of said ending

fernandito
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM

And Affleck's duties are exclusive to behind the camera, right ? No Boston accents to be found ? :cyclops:

Mattrick
01-05-2011, 02:26 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ngGjY6KS5Z8/SpMntM17pHI/AAAAAAAAAIY/_qS7Hym5ZHk/s400/royaltenenbaumscx9.jpg
The Royal Tenenbaums [2001]
Cast: Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Gwenyth Paltrow, Ben Stiller, Danny Glover and Bill Murray

I've seen this movie a number of times and I can't say enough good things about it. Looking at the cast, it has a lot of big names. The cast has some strong actors but mostly weaker actors and they all do a great job, especially Ben Stiller and Luke Wilson.

For those who haven't seen this (why haven't you) it's the story of a family; the parents divorced leaving their genius sons and (adopted) daughter to make sense of it. Each of the children were, before the movie begins, on the cusp of greatness but like most people, life happened. Things went bad and they were suddenly regular and human and none of the children don't know how to cope with their fame/name no longer meaning
much. The opposite goes for their neigbour, Eli Cash, who was anonymous to the world and now can't handle his budding fame.

None of the characters appear to have moved on. They're all suck in a time period; the parents stuck when their marriage was strong; the kids in the late 80's/90's and yet even the city around them seems stuck in some weird time loop with the buses and cabs.

Anderson's strengths as a director is displaying mood. Whether it be through props, costume, sets, music, actors...his movies always feel very organic yet at the same time contain this whimsical quality that makes it so fantastical. This is still my favourite movie he's done and it will tough to top it. As far as I'm concerned, this movie is a masterpiece.

10/10

http://www.posters.ws/images/392397/vanilla_sky.jpg
Vanilla Sky [2001]
Director: Cameron Crowe
Writer: Cameron Crowe
Cast: Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee, Kurt Russell, Noah Tayler (Lost fans, watch closely for cameo appearances by Miles and Ethan)

Ever since I first saw this movie when it was released I've loved it. I watched this movie a lot. It had recently been years since I'd last saw it and now I remember why I enjoy it so much. All the roles are well cast and Crowe, of course, has a great soundtrack. What makes his movies so unique is ability to use popular music throughout the entire movie and make it fuel the mood of the scene and how he can take songs from bands like The Beach Boys and The Monkees and he finds the dark edge to their music.

This is such a great role for Cruise, it was made for him. Without spoiling the movie, the movie allows Tom Cruise to deal with vanity unlike before. Since Cruise is so iconic of a hollywood face, the director of his character, to me, adds a lot of depth coming from Cruise.

I don't usually give a shout out to the editors but they truly played such an instrumental role in this film. One scene (my favourite from the movie) Crowe told the editor 'go nuts, you can do what you want' and wow did I love the results. The sounds and video editing in this movie is superb and I can't believe they didn't get an oscar nom for it. The sounds alone in the movie between effects and usage of popular music can send chills down my spine, more than most horror movies do.

I recently read Eberts review of this movie and I'm glad he appreciated it. This is a very overlooked and underappreciated movie. I think it's close to a masterpiece and as much as I like it, isn't perfect. But still, an excellent movie, one I'll never grow tired of watching. There is just so much attention to every detail of the movie (kind of like Magnolia, that I recently re-watched) you can't help but appreciate the effort that went into the film.

8/10

Heather19
01-05-2011, 03:20 AM

And Affleck's duties are exclusive to behind the camera, right ? No Boston accents to be found ? :cyclops:

Correct! Well at least from him anyways :lol:

divemaster
01-05-2011, 04:53 AM
http://www.posters.ws/images/392397/vanilla_sky.jpg
Vanilla Sky [2001]
Director: Cameron Crowe

8/10

Mattrick, I wonder if you have ever seen the original version Abre los ojos (aka "Open Your Eyes")? I, too, liked Vanilla Sky, but had seen the original first and prefer that one. For a movie like this that plays with perceptions of reality, my guess is the first one you saw will be your favorite of the two as the viewing experience is new and fresh. But if you have not seen Abre los ojos, you might want to give it a shot.

Mattrick
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I've always wanted to watch Abres Los Ojos, just haven't gotten the chance.

Mattrick
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9CFmS5xV8RM/TQ7Tb8atR8I/AAAAAAAAI9M/gz5VSfCq2ZI/s1600/shawshank-redemption-poster.jpg
The Shawshank Redemption [1994]
Director: Frank Darabont
Writer: Frank Darabont
Cast: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler, Clancy Brown

This movie is so good I can't watch it often. Haven't seen it in it's entirety for over five years. It was worth the wait. I love the constant changes in mood, from dark and moody to colourful and almost comedic. But I'm sure that's how life in prison is and the only consolation from interment is the people you're around and the friends you make and depend on for survival. The story itself (from which as I've heard is pretty much what King wrote) is just great and all credit obviously goes to King for that one. Like he always does he carved colourful yet believable characters.

Not once during the movie does it feel preachy or overbearing, it's all handled with tact. The movie is about redemption (as the title indicates) and most prison stories centre around that theme. But it's not about redemption from sins or crimes but redemption from being human; from feeling guilt and fear and anger. Andy (Robbins) is a man who knew the system. Once he was imprisoned by the system it was only logical that he would use the system for his own gains and in the end, used the system to destroy the system and redeem himself from the system. He was taken from society and placed in an institution and broke out of the institution not to rejoin the society he once belonged, but to leave it behind.

I enjoy Darabonts cast of regulars; Jeffery DeMunn, William Sadler and Brian Libby. I'm a big of fan actors who use the same actors often, I'm not sure why. They just add a flavour to them. Freeman and Robbins were excellent in this movie but it's hard not to acknowledge the Warden (Bob Gunton) as the premiere performer. He's such a weasly bad guy. Much like say Percy in the Green Mile, he's just a scumbag. The kind of villain that is too true to life. Unlike many villains in movies, he's very realistic and thus, is very easy to dislike. Gunton plays the role to perfection.

And how powerful is the sequence about Brooks, wonderfully portrayed by James Whitmore. Always gets to me. Just so sad to watch.

10/10

Emily
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Scott Pilgrim VS The World - 8/10

My brother just convinced me to watch this, and I am completely shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I thought it looked terrible in the previews, but it was surprisingly enjoyable. I thought the cast was great, even Michael Cera who gets on my nerves a little bit. It was so fun to see all the things from videos games that I grew up playing and loving put into a movie. My biggest gripe with this movie was that at some points it moved too fast and I had to be like, "wait... what are they doing here?" Besides that though, it was great. I'd recommend it to anyone who has no desire to see it, like I did before I watched it.

DoctorDodge
01-07-2011, 07:17 AM
:thumbsup: Glad you enjoyed it, Tempus. I was one of the few who was looking forward to it for months before I saw it, but that was because of one reason and one reason only: the director. I've been a fan of Edgar Wright ever since he directed the whole of UK sitcom Spaced, and Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are two of my favourite films ever, so I knew Scott Pilgrim was going to be great.

You should check out the comics, though: as much as I can't get enough of the film (I've watched it about 4 or 5 times in the past couple of weeks, and 2 of those have been with audio commentaries), the comics are much better plotted, with a lot more backstory given to all the supporting characters. You should enjoy those a lot if you enjoyed the film.

Ricky
01-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Got around to watching Let the Right One In last night. I was expecting it to be incredibly dark, gory, and uncomfortable to watch. I was wrong though; the movie was more focused on the relationship between the two main characters, cutting down on the subplots, characters, and events that the book included. Compraing film to book, material wasn't so much changed in the film, as it was left out. Actually, I prefer that than changing material for the sake of changing.

Because I read the novel previously, I'm having a hard time rating the film...so I won't. The scenery, acting, and background score set the scene perfectly and certainly made for a great character-audience connection, but I can't help but compare both mediums as to what was left out and/or changed. Once again, as with other book-to-film situations I've seen, I feel that I would have appreciated the film much more had I not had anything to compare to, but in this case, the film was a watered-down version of the book, which was, in my opinion, superior.

fernandito
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
The book will version will always be superior. Well, at least 99.9% of the time. It's inevitable.

Haven't read the novel myself, but the film as a stand alone piece is a great piece of art. One of the best foreign films of the last decade for sure.

kluker
01-07-2011, 08:44 AM
John Q-
I absolutly loved this movie. It had great parts that had you holding your breath with waiting for what would happen next to this man. Its a movie about how far a father would go for his son and to me this movie spoke volumes, it showed how hard it was to be middle class or on the border of poor to get the medical help that you need. As you watch Denziel go through the movie you really get to watch him grow and you get a connection with him.

Leon the professional-
Awesome movie about a hitman who does not want anything to do with people finds himself with a little girl to take care of after her father and family were bruitaly murder over drugs. The movie and dialog was great I absolutly enjoyed every minute of it. It made you laugh, cry and scream at the tv(or atleast had me doing it) it dealt with a wide varity of things from drugs, crooked cops, death, family and love.

Ricky
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
the film as a stand alone piece is a great piece of art.

Absolutely. And if it was the only version I had seen (much like my reaction to the adaptations of Shutter Island, Mystic River, etc.), I would undoubtedly have been able to appreciate it more.

pathoftheturtle
01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I can count all of the films-from-novels that I've seen which actually surpassed the source on one hand. However, I find that novels made from original films are better than THEIR sources only around 25% of the time.

fernandito
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Surpassed or equaled ? I'd say Fight Club and No Country For Old Men are fairly equal in both film and novel form. Which ones were you referring to ?

Emily
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I definitely thought you guys were one person eerily answering themselves right there :lol:

cozener
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, because of what folks in this thread have been saying about Legion I watched it last night and I must say....fucking awesome. My one complaint was that it wasn't longer. The story was good enough to be drawn out a bit more and I do count this against the film as a whole but the goodness is undeniable. 4.5 out of 5.

Oh and btw...the ice cream man...dude...nightmares for a month.

Mattrick
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:QNWu6rYhypGTjM:http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/425826~The-Wrestler-Posters.jpg&t=1
The Wrestler [2008]
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writer: Robert D. Siegel
Cast: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Racheal Wood

Words can't describe just how much I appreciate this movie. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge wrestling fan and I've the utmost respect for the sacrifices they make to entertain people. The wrestling industry is full of pitfalls; drugs, steroids, painkillers, alcohol, failed realationships and much more. This movie was so well done that wrestling fans can see the reality of this movie. The story reminds me a fair bit of Jake The Snake Roberts, who after his glory days, spent his time in high school gyms and legion halls holding on to his career while his family (most notably his daughter) grew to despise him, while he was addicted to crack cocaine.

Rourke and Tomei are brilliant. Both character are struggling to hold onto their careers and feel relevant in industries dominated by younger people. Both have not adjusted with time as it's moved on. Randy Robinson (Rourke) drives an old beat up Dodge Ram, still plays the original Nintendo and is all about rock and roll, 80's style.

Some scenes in this movie are simply brilliant. There is one scene before Randy goes to work at a deli counter at the supermarket he works in between wrestling gigs and it follows his long walk out, to where he stops at the plastic sheet separating backstage and the supermarket. You can hear the roar of the crowd, chanting his name, on their feet screaming for him but when he makes his entrance there is nothing but silence. Any wrestler will tell you it's a drug, performing out there. The buzz you get from hearing tens of thousands of people calling your name is irreplaceable and why so many wrestlers hang on too long. This was Randy's pitfall, he needed to be cheer, he needed that rush; he was addicted to it.

The scenes between him and his daughter really play with your emotions and they always get to me. They're done so genuinely. I could go on and on about this movie but I like to keep these at a couple of paragraphs. In short, if you haven't seen it, go see it now. It's just amazing. It's so good you don't even have to like wrestling to enjoy the heck out of it.

10/10

fernandito
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Yes, Mattrick, YES. The Wrestler is both one of the decades best, and one of Aronofsky's best films.

Interesting side note : Aronofosky had originally conceived The Wrestler and Black Swan as a single film, wanting to explore the hardships of two people as they attempt to reach perfection within their respective callings, and the tolls such a journey can take on them emotionally and psychologically.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 05:34 AM
He kind of went a different route then with The Wrestler as it's nothing to do with attaining perfection for a calling; more about realizing the perfection no longer exists and what's left over is anything but perfect.

Still Servant
01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
I enjoyed both Children of Men and Jarhead better than their books.

fernandito
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
He kind of went a different route then with The Wrestler as it's nothing to do with attaining perfection for a calling; more about realizing the perfection no longer exists and what's left over is anything but perfect.

Among other things, yes. It's primarily about a single tracked man attempting and failing to relate to people at the most basic of levels.

I need to see Jarhead, I heard it's prety good.

Mattrick
01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I enjoyed The Shining more than the book.

Still Servant
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Among other things, yes. It's primarily about a single tracked man attempting and failing to relate to people at the most basic of levels.

I need to see Jarhead, I heard it's prety good.

I like Jarhead because it's the most non-war war movie I've ever seen. Meaning that it chronicles the first Gulf war where the ground troops didn't really have anything to do because the war mainly took place in the air and then it was over.

So you have all these soldiers who have been training for war, only to sit in the desert with nothing to do. It's kind of an interesting look at a war that has kind of been forgotten.

fernandito
01-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll add it to my queue shortly.

Ricky
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Feev, did you ever get around to watching Ils?

Mattrick
01-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Jarhead wasn't bad though it's not a great movie. The performances really made the movie what it was, along with Mendes skills as a director. One of those movies without the talent behind it (like I felt about Shutter Island) would have failed, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of Peter Sarsgard too, which is why I'm sad I haven't seen An Education yet.

Heather19
01-10-2011, 03:21 AM
Feev, did you ever get around to watching Ils?

Yes, I'm still waiting :orely:

And I'd also recommend Jarhead. I really enjoyed that one.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I had always though I saw Romancing the Stone, but it turns out it was Jewel of the Nile I've seen and not Romancing. Danny Devito was so funny and I typically dont care for older movies but I'll watch this again!

So we watched Gamer mostly for Michael C. Hall and it was interesting and pretty funny. Will watch again!

Heather19
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Black Swan 10/10

What an amazing film. I was left speechless at the end. And I'm not sure what to even say about it other than if you have not seen it yet, please do yourself the favor and go! Natalie Portman shines as a young ballerina striving to achieve perfection and grab the staring role in the upcoming production of Swan Lake. Can she release her inner inhibitions and transform herself into what is needed to portray the role of the Black Swan? The film is very dark and very intense. All of the leading actors give outstanding performances. Add to that the direction of Darren Aronofsky, and you can't go wrong.

Still Servant
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Black Swan 10/10

What an amazing film. I was left speechless at the end. And I'm not sure what to even say about it other than if you have not seen it yet, please do yourself the favor and go! Natalie Portman shines as a young ballerina striving to achieve perfection and grab the staring role in the upcoming production of Swan Lake. Can she release her inner inhibitions and transform herself into what is needed to portray the role of the Black Swan? The film is very dark and very intense. All of the leading actors give outstanding performances. Add to that the direction of Darren Aronofsky, and you can't go wrong.

I'm so glad you liked it, Heather. It really is a great film. I love the Black Swan theme by the way. I'm thinking of joining you.

Still Servant
01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Exit Through The Gift Shop 9/10

Exit Through The Gift Shop is the Inception of the documentary genre. Like Inception, which dealt with a dream-within-a-dream plot and posed questions about what was real and what wasn't, Exit Through The Gift Shop does the same thing.

It's like a documentary within a documentary and it's never quite clear if the whole thing is just one big hoax or if it's all real. I'm not really sure what else to say about this truly original documentary. It's not often I'm at a lose for words after I finish a movie, but that was the case with Exit Through The Gift Shop.

For those that are unfamiliar with the plot, I will try to take a crack at it. Thierry Guetta is an amateur filmmaker who stumbles into the underground world of street art. While traveling around the world documenting some of the most talented street artists, Thierry decides to take the footage and make a documentary. The only problem is that he has no idea what to do with the literally hundreds of hours of footage.

Once Thierry finally sits down to edit the film, he produces a long, almost unwatchable series of images that made no sense whatsoever. Guetta soon shows the finished product to Banksy, who is considered one of best and enigmatic artists on the underground scene, and he very kindly lets Thierry know that it's garbage and it doesn't show the true artistic expression of street art. Banksy tells Thierry to leave him the footage so he can put something together.

With the film out of his hands, a funny thing happened to Theirry. Instead of just documenting street artists, he becomes one himself. The rest of the film chronicles Guetta as he builds his art business, selling some of this "street art" for thousands of dollars. Guetta took street art, something that he fell in love with, and turned it into a commercial enterprise. But by doing so, he essentially loses the spirit of the art. Street art isn't about fame or fortune, it's about expressing yourself and this is where Guetta fails to become a true artist.

Or does he? Maybe the whole film is one big hoax to show how subjective art is and a commentary on what should or shouldn't be considered art.

If you are a fan of documentaries, Exit Through The Gift Shop should be your first stop. I have zero interest in the world of street art and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Learning about street art was very informative, but the true star of the film is Guetta. A captivating and enthralling person if there ever was one.

Real or fake, Exit Through The Gift Shop is a great film. So much for not knowing what to say, huh?

Darkthoughts
01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
The Burning Plain - 9/10

Awesome film written and directed by Guillermo Arriaga, I had no idea what it was going to be about, it just randomly came on tv last night. I love Arriaga's style - I really enjoyed Babel too - the cinematography is very clean and simple in contrast to the story itself which jumps and twists all over the place. I don't want to say too much about the story, because part of what I loved was the realisation of what was happening.

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 01:54 AM
http://media.theiapolis.com/aR-cDCDCDC-d4-e4-hM8-iI14-r1-s1-t4-wG4-z23/up-in-the-air-poster.jpg
Up In The Air [2008]
Director: Jason Reitman
Writers: Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner
Cast: George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick, Jason Bateman

First off, I think this movie is delightful to watch as are all of Reitman's movies. His movies often mix comedy with very subtle emotional ties and this is no exception. Ryan Bingham (Clooney) is a man who, due to his job as a professional firer, is always on the go in today's economy. He likes it up there. He's very loyal and gets special status with American Airlines, hotels and Hertz rent-a-car. Problem is, he's not loyal to people because people have faces, corporations do not. In the sky he has no baggage, emotionally or really physically. Nothing ties him down, nothing keeps him from being himself.

Enter Alex (Vera Farmiga) who is, (her words not mine) himself but with a vagina. He instantly feels a connection with her. Another new woman in his life, Natalie (Anna Kendrick) whose radical new ideas for revolutionizing how efficient you can fire complete strangers, threatens to throw his baggage free life out of control. You might think the title Up In The Air refers to him flying but it also refers to his life during the movie; it's all up in the air. Will Ryan make human connections? Will he be forever grounded, forced to live in Omaha and actually build relationships? Can he do this? What about his corporate loyalties? Will they simply abandon him?

All the acting is spot on in this movie and it's the right movie for today's economy. And in the end the film delivers a positive message; that a job is just a job, they come and go - but family doesn't, they stay. A great cameo appearance by J.K. Simmons really adds a very human element to firing someone.

9/10

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/s/m/N/saw3poster3b.jpg
Saw III
Director: Darren Lynn Sucksatdirecting
Writer: Leigh Wannell
Cast: Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, Angus McFayden, Bahar Soomekh

Watched this movie again by chance. I've a strong distaste for this franchise now. This movie did was a 3 movie in a trilogy should. It went back to the original and tied up some loose ends as well as focusing on the two most constant characters. Problem is, this movie has too many problems. Problem was is Boussman, who can't directed worth a shit. The movie is littered full of jump and flash cuts to give the movie a 'style', but it utterly fails. I enjoyed the twist except the five minute long sequence AFTER the twist that rehashes the entire movie in jump/flash cuts with weird sound effects in case you're mentally retarded and didn't get it. Add to the fact the events in Saw IV made this movie pretty damn irrelevant.

If this was the last saw movie, it would have been okay for a final. But since they made like 5 more and considering how terrible saw 4 was...I can only imagine how much worse they got. Due to this not having that final movie element and it did pretty much NOTHING to further the story, it loses marks.

5/10

http://www.pickyourdvds.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/i-love-you-man-movie-poster-290.jpg
I Love You, Man [2009]
Director: John Hamburg
Writer: John Hamburg, Larry Levin
Cast: Paul Rudd, Jason Siegel, Rashida Jones, Jamie Preissly, Jon Favreau, J.K. Simmins, Andy Samberg, Jane Curtain, Lou Ferrigno

This is what ALL comedies should be. Smart, funny and contain interesting characters. Both Sydney and Pete (Seigel/Rudd) are unique characters with unique mannerisms and attitudes. Pete is getting married to Zoe (Rashida Jones) and realizes he doesn't have a best friend nor really any male buddies. The search goes awry until he meets Syndey at the open house he has to sell Lou Ferrigno's house. They like each other interesting.

Now is when the movie gets interesting. This is a romantic comedy but instead of the typical boy meets girl formula, it's boy meets boy. We see many typical and necessary scenes for a romantic comedy and they all work. Sydney is who most guys wish they could be, comfortable in their own skin, no inhibitions; he's a man and he knows it and lives it. Pete is not a guy at all and it gets him in awkward moments while he tries poker, drinking games and male comradre.

Rudd is so good at making us believe he's awkward and has no idea what he should say or do and he fumbles his words and blurts out random nothings. Sydney finds this quality endearing since Pete is such an odd guy.

Movie is funny start to finish, actually has good characters, comedic acting and has at least omething to say. If more comedies were the quality of this one I would watch a lot more comedies. Simply one of the best comedies in years or even decades.

10/10

http://www.signis.net/malone/img/wiki_up/gran_torino_poster.jpg
Gran Torino [2008]
Director: Clint Eastwood
Writers: Dave Johannsen, Nick Schmeck
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Christopher Carley, Bee Vang, Ahney Her, John Carroll Lynch

I'm a huge Eastwood fan, at least as a director. Not seen many of his acting jobs and he directed all of those too. This movie wasn't his best but it was good. It had a lot of heart in it and it's always nice to see a movie like this one, seeing a troubled person find contention and reason. The relationship he forms with his neighbours, Tao and Sue is very genuine I think. And who can not enjoy Eastwood's grunts in this movie! They're a dialogue all to themselves. Many of his racial comments got snickers out of me but what made it nice was how none of the Hmong people cared if he called them eggroll or fishhead or gook. They saw him beyond that exterior.

In comes the plot, where Tao/Sue's cousin tries to force him into their gang and his initiation is to steal Walt (eastwood) prized 1972 Gran Torino. We see Walt go back into the service to aid his neighbours fight against villainy. As an Korean Vet he'd served his country by killing asians and how he finds himself protecting the asians. It seemed to me it was his way of redeeming himself for the things he'd done during the war and it gave his life purpose; his wife is dead, his kids are practically estranged and his grandkids are simply waiting for him to die to claim his possessions; most notably his car.

To repay Walt, Tao is sent to help him and in the process, is taught man things about hard work and being an American man. Some very heartwarming scenes happen during all this, including a great scene at the barbers (John Carroll Lynch). I enjoyed the conclusion of this movie very much but it was still missing a little something...not sure what.

8/10

Fever Pitch: Just a quick note...I hate Drew Barrymore. Why is she in movies? Do people think she's talented? Has screen presence? Is attractive? She's none of the above. I just don't get it. This movie was okay. I thought I would like it more considering who recommended it but they are pretty big baseball fans. I just think this movie, with better casting, would have really worked out well. Instead it ended up just being okay.

6/10

Rice Dancer
01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Harry Potter...7/10 I guess because it was so damn long

Mattrick
01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10087000/10087181.jpg
The Good Girl [2002]
Director: Miguel Arteta
Writer: Mike White
Cast: Jennifer Aniston, Jake Gyllenhaal, John C. Rielly, Tim Blake Nelson, Zoey DesChanel, John Carroll Lynch

This is a movie that flew right under the radar and one of Anistons actual performance. It follows Justine (Aniston) as she struggles with mediocrity and low self worth; her pothead husband is going nowhere and hates his best friend; work bores her yet it's more home to her than home and she's starting to question her own views on life and society. Enter Holden (Gyllenhaal) who believes he is the re-incarnation of Holden Caulfield and that no one will ever get him. His desperation for normality and Anistons quest to get out of her funk, she starts a sexual relationship with Holden who is much younger. Both characters are in the relationship for their own selfish needs and neither really cares about the other, though they feign it real well. They both want to use each other to escape.

This movie is a portrait of a typical modern woman; one who never further her education, married early in life to someone not overly ambitious and has a dead end job at a department store. She feels trapped inside her life and wants more than anything to break out of it. Like most affairs, the sneaking around leads to paranoia and secrets and lies. All the characters suffer at the hands of the affair and lives are changed forever.

Despite the depressing topic of the movie, it's presented in a whimsicle place, where Texas is texas by accent only; where black berries have auspicious qualities and the store PA system is a great place to mess with shoppers. There are some genuine laughs in the movie that help break up the tension and adds to the movies charm. The cast, either dramatic or comedic all hit their tones. Gyllenhaal and Aniston have incredible chemistry and John C Reilly once again plays a likeable buffoon, a role he's lends so much too. Tim Blake Nelson is most memorable as buck and to anyone whose seen the movie would know what I'm talking about

8/10

http://www.empiremovies.com/_word_press/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Easy-A-Poster.jpg
Easy A [2010]
Director: Bill Gluck
Writer: Bert V. Royal
Cast: Emma Stone, Alyson Michalka, Amanda Bynes, Tomas Hayden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci, Lisa Kudrow

This movie is the re-invention of the 80's teen comedy. It's intelligently presented. Emma stone is without a doubt the next young actress of hollywood, she's charming and adorable. The movie follows Olive, a typical invisible teenage girl. After her conversation in which she lied about losing her virginity to a college guy is overhead, he life goes topsy turvy. She at first likes the attention. She begins to 'whore' herself out to fellow students for fake affairs and sexual encounters for gift cards. Her reputation grows leaps and bounds, she's viewed suddenly as sexy, promiscuous, trashy, stupid. Her life changes drastically.

Olive is studying the Scarlet Letter in school and takes on the role of hester prynne, proudly a red 'A' on her clothes as her reputation grows. Hester and Olive's lives end up having a lot in common; both are ostricized and criticized and hated. To anyone who has read the scarlet letter and understood it, the movie takes a deeper meaning. The many illusions drawn to John Hughes's movies is pretty great, they were very seminal movies and I feel this is also a seminal movie. Olive finds herself battling the school bible thumper Marianne (Bynes) over her reputation.

The support cast of her teachers (Kudrow and Church) and her parents (Tucci and Clarkson) round the movie out nicely and give the more dramatic scenes more weight and some good talent for Emma Stone to work off of. This movie deserves and Easy A from me, as I thought it was excellent. It's not the funniest movie out there but it has a lot to it. Still, what laughs are there are pretty good ones. A few parts I lost it on.

9/10

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-15-2011, 10:49 AM
We finally got around to seeing Predators last night and I really liked it. There were a lot of winks and nudges to the first film, and it had some interesting characters. It was predictable at time and Adrian Brodie's impersonation of Christian Bale's Batman too some time to get used to (ok ok to stop laughing at), but over all its an enjoyable movie and damn Topher Grace!

Still Servant
01-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Mattrick, I'm glad you liked Easy A. It's one of the more enjoyable films I saw all year.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I really want to see Easy A I actually have it but forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder guys

cozener
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Black Swan, 3 out of 4. I think it helped that I had very little expectation...except that I thought there'd be a lot more HLA than there actually was. In that I'm very disappointed. :(

kluker
01-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Just got around to watching Princess and the Frog with Amber and it turned out to better then I thought it would. Still don't like how they changed the story but it was a good movie none the less
7/10

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 12:48 AM
i haven't seen that one but my 3 year old niece LOVES the end credits on that one. odd huh? she loves the end credits more than the actual film strange. anyways i recently watched "Case 39" & while it was well made & well acted as well. it really bored me to death. thank GOD it was a rental.

the last 20 minutes or so of it was awesome though.

fernandito
01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Black Swan, 3 out of 4. I think it helped that I had very little expectation...except that I thought there'd be a lot more HLA than there actually was. In that I'm very disappointed. :(

HLA ?

Jean
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
human leucocyte antigens? I know I would be very disappointed not having seen enough of those in a movie

Ricky
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

HLA ?

I'm going to guess Hot Lesbian Action. I haven't seen the movie, just heard bits and pieces about it.

Bethany
01-17-2011, 09:39 AM
:rofl: Is that your guess, Ricky? I am learning more and more about you.

Ricky
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Well, based on context in the post referring to it + the 0.5% I know about the movie, that's what I came up with. :lol:

alinda
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
human leucocyte antigens? I know I would be very disappointed not having seen enough of those in a movie

:rofl: me too , you cant imagine how much! :wtf:

on topic I finally watched Inception, I would have enjoyed this film more minus all the hype, I will be generous and rate it 6/10. I think it would be a stronger film with out all the build up , which made me feel let down , for not being blown away by its art.

Mattrick
01-18-2011, 04:27 AM
http://minaday.com/movies/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/five-easy-pieces.jpg
Five Easy Pieces [1970]
Director: Bob Rafelson
Writers: Bob Refelson, Carole Eastman
Cast: Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, Billie Green Bush, Lois Smith, Ralph White

This is the first part of my 70's Nicholson trilogy. Very good way to start it. Between this and Easy Rider it's no wonder he really exploded very quickly. He absolutely nailed this role and a lesser actor would have destroyed this roll. As Robert Eroica Dupnea, Nicholson is in his niche. I don't want to say much about this movie because knowing little about the movie helps a lot. The journey of tracing Dupnea from finding him working in an oil field to his early days of youth and wondering why he ran from it as he did is just great. The ending is ambiguious and not entirely sad or happy. To quote Ebert in his review

"Five Easy Pieces (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/classifieds?category=REVIEWS01&TITLESearch=Five%20Easy%20Pieces&ToDate=20111231)" has the complexity, the nuance, the depth, of the best fiction. In involves us in these people, this time and place, and we care for them, even though they don't request our affection or applause. We remember Bobby and Rayette, because they are so completely themselves, so stuck, so needy, so brave in their loneliness. Once you have seen movie characters who are alive, it's harder to care about the robots in their puppet shows.

There are some great scenes throughout, most notably his conversation with a waitress over why he can't order toast. I highly recommend this movie, it's very good. This is the original Sundance movie.

10/10

Next in the Nicholson Triogy is Roman Polanski's 'Chinatown' which I'm sure Jean will be happy I'm watching. Followed by Michelangelo Antonioni's 'The Passenger'. Looking foward to both of them.

Then I'm thinking a bit of a western Trilogy; rewatch of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly then watching The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford and Shane. Why do westerns have to have such long names? Damn.

DoctorDodge
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

HLA ?

I'm going to guess Hot Lesbian Action. I haven't seen the movie, just heard bits and pieces about it.

Well that sounds like a great film, anyway. I really need to see Black Swan. Honestly, I prefer lesbianism and homosexuality in film to be more subtle overall. It's always so much more interesting when there's nothing gratuitous about it, when it gives you the chance to work it out for yourself by the tiny little things that the director and scriptwriter put in there.

Like Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon in Bound.

Jean
01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Honestly, I prefer lesbianism and homosexuality in film to be more subtle overall. It's always so much more interesting when there's nothing gratuitous about it, when it gives you the chance to work it out for yourself by the tiny little things that the director and scriptwriter put in there.. As far as bears are concerned, the same could be said about all kinds of sexuality in movies, gay or straight.

pathoftheturtle
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
It's already very easy to get porn movies. Surely we don't need porn to be put in all movies.

DoctorDodge
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Honestly, I prefer lesbianism and homosexuality in film to be more subtle overall. It's always so much more interesting when there's nothing gratuitous about it, when it gives you the chance to work it out for yourself by the tiny little things that the director and scriptwriter put in there.. As far as bears are concerned, the same could be said about all kinds of sexuality in movies, gay or straight.

Very true, i was just being ironic with the last part.

cozener
01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
it isn't that I think sex should play a larger role in movies. It's just that I was put under the impression that there'd be more of it than their was (which was how I was convinced to go in the first place)

But still...it was a great movie. I'm glad I went. I just hate it when my wife uses duplicity to get me to do things she wants me to do. :angry:

The funny thing is that my wife didn't like the flick that much. :lol:

DoctorDodge
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Four Lions (2010)

Been wanting to watch this ever since I heard who the director was: Chris Morris. For those of you who don't know, Morris was responsible for pissing off a lot of people about ten years back, mostly celebrities and the Daily Mail, for presenting a satirical look on how the media dealt with serious issues, including drugs, aids and paedophilia, in channel 4 show Brass Eye. All in terrible taste, of course, and all absolutely hilarious. So when I heard he was directing a film, I can't say i was surprised about what the plot was: 4 thick as shit wannabe suicide bombers. Having finally watched it, i can honestly say it was one of the funniest films of last year.

The film's a laugh a minute, something that avoids poking fun at muslims and instead pokes fun at the ones thick enough to think that forming a jihad and blowing something up is a good idea. All the laughs come from the characters, all of which feel fully rounded and (I hate to use this word) likeable, although there's more of a focus on main character and group leader Omar's personal life than anyone else's. The look of the film feels almost documentary, as there's a kind of graininess and rawness to it, with the occasional night vision and satellite shot thrown in. All of which helps to make it seem more realistic and therefore more ridiculous when you hear lines like, "The gun is too small!" "Not small, brother: big hands!" and of course the classic, "My idea, right, is to put a bomb on a crow!" Even the minor characters get great lines of dialogue, with two snipers arguing over whether they just shot a bear or a wookie being my favourite.

If there's one small complaint I have, is that near the end it does get a little too serious and all a bit tragic, but perhaps given the content, and given the whole realistic feel of the film at times, that shouldn't be surprising, and it still gets the occasional good laugh even then. Honestly, if you enjoy great comedy, and you won't be easily offended by the content of the film, then I can't recommend this enough.

10/10

alkanto
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM
So..you're saying I should see 4 Lions, DD? :lol:

The Green Hornet - I saw this one last weekend. Overall, it was a decent adaptation. It wasn't the worst comic book movie I've seen, but it was far from the best.

It was funny, though. That much I will say. The action scenes get a little bit gratuitous - particularly near the end - but in between it had plenty of laughs. Additionally, it was refreshing to see a female character in this type of film who was neither a damsel-in-distress type, nor merely there for sex objectification. Yes, there certainly is romantic tension, but not in an overtly annoying manner.

What made this movie for me was Kato. Without him, I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much. THB, The Green Hornet (Britt something....I honestly cannot remember his last name, for whatever reason...) is annoying, grating, and like a bit of a douche-bag.

7/10

DoctorDodge
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Hmm, i was wondering about the Green Hornet. One to rent, I think.

Hopefully, I'll see Black Swan tomorrow and give it a rating and review on here afterwards. I've heard nothing but great things about it so far. Planning to watch it after I've done my 2nd exam of the college year tomorrow. Should be something to look forward to!

Heather19
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Hopefully, I'll see Black Swan tomorrow and give it a rating and review on here afterwards. I've heard nothing but great things about it so far. Planning to watch it after I've done my 2nd exam of the college year tomorrow. Should be something to look forward to!

:thumbsup: Enjoy! It's an excellent film.

Mattrick
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/08/new-buried-poster2.jpg
Buried [2010]
Director: Rodrigo Cortes
Writer: Chris Spraling
Cast: Ryan Reynolds

Simply wow. Talk about a fantastic movie. I love situation pieces, one reason why I enjoyed Gerald's Game and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon so much. Seeing people in a situation you couldn't possibly be in; when done right it's excellent. Ryan Reynolds was perfect for the movie and showed a lot of range and depth as an actor. The movie had a couple funny parts but more like a titter than a laugh; much different that Reynolds usual work.

Cortes puts you in there with him, though at times he peers into the coffin from the blackness surrounding it. We're experiencing it and voyeurs at the same time, which is odd. Inside the coffin he's got a zippo, a phone, a flask of alcohol and things which are revealed later. Between the writing and the directing there is plenty of 'action' to keep the plot racing, especially in the later half.

This movie is very multilayer and contains many conflicts. Paul Conroy (Reynolds) is a truck driver for a contractor in Iraq, something happens and he wakes up in a box underground; we don't see a single thing outside this box. With the phone Conroy tries to save himself and piece everything together. A key conflict here is Conroy against bueracracy and it's proceedures and due processes, which is not exactly advantageous in a race against time. To me, buracracy is the main villain in this movie.

Don't want to give much away but it's a damn shame it wasn't playing around me. Would have been a great theatre movie. Buried is exactly what I hoped it would be.

9/10

Ricky
01-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I've been dying to see Buried since it came out in October. Unfortunately, it didn't come to any theaters near me. Hopefully it's available on Netflix soon.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
The Other Guys was a horrible horrible movie. Too long, and just plain not funny. STUPID

Heather19
01-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I've been dying to see Buried since it came out in October. Unfortunately, it didn't come to any theaters near me. Hopefully it's available on Netflix soon.

Netflix is sending me this one today. I can't wait to watch it.

Ricky
01-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Great! So that means it's available!

Heather19
01-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Yep, I think it came out tues :D

Ricky
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
You'll probably see it before I do, so definitely let me know what you think of it.

On a related note, I just watched Gothika. Got it from Netflix for mom and decided I'd watch it too. It was pretty good. Not the best movie I've seen, but I was entertained. In my book, that's what matters.

CurtSeattle
01-22-2011, 06:43 PM
The Green Hornet last night. If you like Seth Rogan (writer, director, lead actor I believe), then you will love it. Action and stupid jokes. 6.5/10 (would watch again though)(with Shawshnk Redemption being 9/10 and a watch over and over movie and never giving a 10/10 yet since I need to leave one space available for "the one" that may be coming)

Black Swan: 6/10 (seriously? I didn't see all the hype being validated and won't ever watch again...ever...good one time though)
True Grit 8/10 (i like Westerns, so gives it a bump, probably more of a 7/10....but will watch again someday, so maybe 8/10)
The Fighter 8/10 (great movie and a true story which is just cool..really a watch once movie for me though only)
Secretariat 7/10 (A TRUE amazing story that should be seen by everyone. so many themes run through it and adults and their kids will love it. probably just a watch once movie for me though)(I recommend watching the movie and then watch some of the races depicted in the movie...SERIOUSLY watch the movie 1st and then the real thing on youtube. It will make for a better experience I promise.)
How to Train Your Dragon 7/10 (I really liked this movie! Was mesmerized the whole time....hahaha! Great action too)(I mean....Dragons are freakin cool, right? Reign of Fire wasn't great, but those dragons were cool enough to make it rock for me...hahaha!)

I watch a lot of movies it seems. These are just some of the better ones from the last 2 weeks. Not counting 4x more late night and whenever I'm in my ManCave on my computer or playing pool while watching movies with my buddies. hahahaha!

candy
01-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Scott Pilgrim vs the World 1.5/10

i personally hated this film. I found it boring, pointless and a little bit stupid. I didn't understand where these powers that scott had came from? i mean i understood about the whole 7 evil ex boyfriends, but why did that give him the power to fight them? The whole pow splat etc annoyed the bejesus out of me.

I can understand how people would like it, as hubbie enjoyed it and had a few giggles to himself. I am unsure if its because he is a bloke or because he is a gamer so 'got' all the references to the points and the coins. I mean i understood them and their relevance to games, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I found the story itself to be contrived and extremely childish, there was no character development at all so much so i didnt care for any of them, the plot that they had was possibly the flimsyiest plot i have ever watched.

the most annoying thing about this film? the obvious wigs the lead girl was wearing (ramona) the bloody thing never moved for goodness sake, it got to a point that was all i could focus on!!

the best thing about this film was Wallace the flat mate, out of them all he was probabley the best actor, and out of a bad bunch that is not saying much!

DoctorDodge
01-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Ouch, 1.5 for Scott Pilgrim? No points added for excellent visual direction and cinematography? Ah well. It's certainly not a film for everyone, even if you take Edgar Wright's logic of seeing the whole thing as a daydream. (Although clearly, it's meant to be purgatory. Anyone wants a detailed explanation on how the funk that's likely, just ask me and i promise, i will provide!) I guess it's not for everyone, considering it has about as much logic as musicals, but with the songs replaced with fights. (Especially since, with the exception of Repo! and Rocky Horror, I can't stand musicals. Although I did laugh my arse off at the wtf?!?-ness when Patel just randomly broke out into song.) I guess I can definitely see why the film polarises people, but I still think Wright needs more recognition as one of the more exciting directors in the past decade to watch.

Now, on to rate the last film i watched: Black Swan

I must admit, when i started reading the hype for this film, I was a bit skeptical I'd like it. Especially when I saw the trailer: it looked ok, but hardly the kind of film I'd enjoy. Well, due to so many on this board liking it, I decided to take a chance yesterday and see it for myself.

For the first ten to twenty minutes, I'll admit I still remained skeptical as to whether I'd like it or not. It took a while for me to get interested in the ballet part of the story, and i couldn't help but roll my eyes at one moment when the ballet director said, regarding Swan Lake, "We all know the story..." before going on to explain the whole story of the ballet. If you already know the story, why bother to explain it?!? I'm aware that it was needed to be heard by the audience to fully appreciate the subtle parallels between the story of the ballet and the story of the film (or rather, the parallels that Nina sees, parallels we can never really be sure of), but I'm sure it would've made sense for someone who didn't know the story to hear it. Ok, that's just about my one and only complaint out of the way, and it's a petty complaint at that, i'll admit, considering there's hardly any significant character in the film who isn't a part of Nina's world of ballet.

The rest? My god, i haven't seen a film quite as well made an emotional rollercoaster as this one. The long, building tension as we see Nina start to lose her mind as she loses herself in the role of the black swan makes the film unbearable to watch at times, especially how the entire time, we see everything through her eyes. More than that though is how bloody amazing Portman is as Nina. The transformation her character goes through throughout the film is played to perfection, and really helped to draw the audience in even more.

Ah, the audience. I think this deserves a special mention, as it had the best audience reaction to a film I've heard in a long time, and reminded me why going to the cinema was so unique and so important with the best movies in the first place. The number of times there was a huge, loud reaction of disgust, of shock - and yes, in some cases, even huge bouts of laughter - was just brilliant, and really shows just how much skill Aronofsky has at making the audience feel when watching a film, something I think is perhaps the most important thing to achieve with a film, and can prove when a film is as successful as the director intended when the viewer has that kind of emotional reaction when watching it.

10/10

Mattrick
01-23-2011, 06:56 AM

i personally hated this film. I found it boring, pointless and a little bit stupid. I didn't understand where these powers that scott had came from? i mean i understood about the whole 7 evil ex boyfriends, but why did that give him the power to fight them? The whole pow splat etc annoyed the bejesus out of me.

I can understand how people would like it, as hubbie enjoyed it and had a few giggles to himself. I am unsure if its because he is a bloke or because he is a gamer so 'got' all the references to the points and the coins. I mean i understood them and their relevance to games, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I found the story itself to be contrived and extremely childish, there was no character development at all so much so i didnt care for any of them, the plot that they had was possibly the flimsyiest plot i have ever watched.

the most annoying thing about this film? the obvious wigs the lead girl was wearing (ramona) the bloody thing never moved for goodness sake, it got to a point that was all i could focus on!!

the best thing about this film was Wallace the flat mate, out of them all he was probabley the best actor, and out of a bad bunch that is not saying much!

hear hear

candy
01-23-2011, 07:12 AM
No points added for excellent visual direction and cinematography?

you are jesting with me aren't you?:lol:

DoctorDodge
01-23-2011, 07:29 AM
No points added for excellent visual direction and cinematography?

you are jesting with me aren't you?:lol:

The stretched out room designed to match both the music and Knives' clear awe of Sex Bob-Omb, the comic multi-angles used at just the right moments - not just with the awesome, OTT fight scenes but also the subtler moments that still work, such as when Scott sees Ramona at the party, the moments that seem to parody about a billion video games/action movies without directly referencing any in particular (the completely unnecessary heartbeat when Lee and Pilgrim are racing towards each other is probably my favourite example of this), the way almost every shot of the film has been done in a way that hasn't been done before. Nope, I'm afraid i'm being serious about the direction of this film.

Mattrick
01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Dodge, some people considering homage and reference to equal good in movies, others don't. I don't mark out at a movie character getting a 1 up, I simply don't. And I love video games. I don't NEED to see video game stuff in movies because I have video games. I watch movies to be a movie. Instead, Scott Pilgrim took what could have been a simple Comic Book movie and threaded it with a massive homage to video games and it completely turns me off. I'm fine with some unreality in movies, but Scott Pilgrim looked like a nerd's wet daydream in 10th grade math. It looks to have nothing to ponder and pretty much no point, nothing meaningful to say and a punch of epilipetic CGI is all over the place. It's mindless popcorn fodder, not a work of art. If you're into comics and comic book movies I can see this being enjoyable. For those that aren't, there just is nothing there for us. A few laughs maybe? For me, the only enjoyable part would be getting to see some young actors I like; Anna Kendrick, Kieran Culkan and Alison Pill and I'm sure their obvious talents are wasted.

Dodge, you seriously can't give Wright credit for borrowing from tons of other things. It just proves he's a safe director, if anything. Relying on familiarity instead of originality.

alkanto
01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
you seriously can't give Wright credit for borrowing from tons of other things. It just proves he's a safe director, if anything. Relying on familiarity instead of originality.

I'm not so sure I'd call Wright a safe director by any means! Yes - he did borrow a lot from other sources, but it was only in tribute to such solid source material. Despite borrowing, though, he managed to put together all those familiar elements into something completely new and unique to cinema. I am generally a fan of these types of movies, but I have never seen anything close to what Wright gives us in Scott Pilgrim. And, considering Wright's other films/projects, it becomes even clearer that he has his own distinct vision and style that is fantastic....if you like him, of course. If not, I can see where it would be very polarizing. But, in all actuality, isn't that the same as every director?

And I don't think it's a movie that caters solely to the gaming/comic book crowd either. I took my sister to it (who is far from that aforementioned group) and she loved as well. Now, of course, it is weird, filled with plenty of WTF moments, and so different from what I've seen before...but that's why I loved it! And how could I forget the soundtrack! If you hated the movie, you at least have to give credit to the music that accompanies it, surely?

DoctorDodge
01-23-2011, 09:58 AM
you seriously can't give Wright credit for borrowing from tons of other things. It just proves he's a safe director, if anything. Relying on familiarity instead of originality.

I'm not so sure I'd call Wright a safe director by any means! Yes - he did borrow a lot from other sources, but it was only in tribute to such solid source material. Despite borrowing, though, he managed to put together all those familiar elements into something completely new and unique to cinema. I am generally a fan of these types of movies, but I have never seen anything close to what Wright gives us in Scott Pilgrim. And, considering Wright's other films/projects, it becomes even clearer that he has his own distinct vision and style that is fantastic....if you like him, of course. If not, I can see where it would be very polarizing. But, in all actuality, isn't that the same as every director?

Couldn't have put it better myself, Pond. I know the movie pays homage to a ton of other stuff, but unlike, say, the Scary Movies franchise or Vampires Suck (you can actually see my eyes possitively rolling right now, can't you?) these aren't done at the expense of a lack of plot, more like little background details that show just how much these characters practically live in a world of films, games and comics. You described Scott Pilgrim as a "nerd's wet daydream in 10th grade math", and you know what, that's exactly what it's like. It's the way Scott sees the world, a man who's 22 and yet refuses to grow up, to accept some responsibility. Ultimately, he does, and he apologises for the mistakes he's made and acting like a jerk, and in those moments, the action for once quietens down and for once we have something a lot closer to real life.

All those little references though are just part of Wright's style. Everything else? Multi-angles, aspect ratio changes, onomatopoetic words used, all of these are the little unique things that only he would do, and I'd hardly call him a "safe" director for that. Well, no more so than Tarantino including music from a Fistful of Dollars and the Ironside theme in his Kill Bill movies. Neither are really works of art, but they are extremely entertaining to watch, at least.

Mattrick
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Anyone can play good music to a movie. I give credit to soundtracks then the songs chosen lend a deeper meaning to the scene they're in. Wes Anderson is my favourite director for using music.

And come on, Wrights entire career has been based off borrowing, whether it's poking fun or homaging, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz definitely borrowed a heck of a lot from other films that came before it and that was the intention of his work. Bring unconventional to a conventional genre. And I felt both of those movies were good but not great, I didn't attain a higher appreciation for Shaun of the Dead on rewatch. From my experience Wright is by no means a bad filmmaker, he's just not a very good one. Edgar Wright is a very accomplished borrower as a director and as a writer but I admit, he does at least have a unique style. But Unique style doesn't original content. He's going to have to step out of his safe zone and try something that is purely original before I can give him any credit as a good director. Good directing has nothing to do wtih effects or CGI or sound effects. Good directing is about allow the story to deepen with images and to convey feelings and such that doesn't need to be spoken to be expressed. Edgar Wright does the exact opposite; we get it, Scott and Ramona are in love or have feelings for each other, we don't need pink CGI hearts flying across the screen to tell us that.

And I still can't get over how simply ridiculous the plot for this is. It sounds like a story some totally stoned people would think about. "Hey man, you know what would be awesome?" "No, what?" "A movie where this guy man, this geek man, has to like, fight all these guys for this girl man. And they're not just regular guys they've got like super powers and they're all evil and stuff." "Why's he fighting them" "For the girl man!" "That would be totally awesome man!...hey! What if they shot fireballs and like collected points!" "Sweet, like Mortal Kombat!" FUCK YEAH!" *high five*

I enjoyed this review:

Only fans will care who wins
By Ann Hornaday
Friday, August 13, 2010

"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is a dog-frequency movie: enjoyable only to those tuned in to its particular register. Based on a graphic novel by Bryan Lee O'Malley, this hyper-kinetic pop-culture pastiche stars Michael Cera -- he of the quavery voice and dilated gaze -- as the title character, a 22-year-old Lothario and would-be rocker who meets the girl of his dreams, then sets out to defeat her seven exes to gain her love.
Love, actually, has little to do with it in a story populated by progressively snarkier, self-involved characters. Stripped of his doe-eyed looks and indie-nerd style, Pilgrim is a selfish jerk; Ramona V. Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), who in her rainbow-colored pageboys resembles a grown-up version of Hit-Girl from the eerily similar "Kick-Ass," isn't much warmer, looking on with a blase shrug as her suitor risks life and limb on her behalf.

The two are surrounded by a posse of equally snarly, eye-rolling hipsters, the biggest neg-heads being Kim Pine (Alison Pill), the drummer in Pilgrim's band, and his roommate, Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin), whose sexual orientation provides nearly endless fodder for gay jokes. The only sympathetic character is a high schooler named Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), who, in a romantic fantasy only a boy could conceive, gamely urges him to follow Ramona even after cruelly dumping her.

The story and characters of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," then, are negligible. But fans of the novel aren't likely to care, reserving their most passionate interest for how director Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz") has brought their precious antihero to the screen. The short answer: every which way he can, borrowing references from video games, cartoons, sitcoms and other movies to create a multi-layered collage that makes the levels of "Inception" look like a toddler's Tinkertoy project.

There are funny moments: The film's best fight is between Pilgrim and Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh), a buff-but-dumb vegan who becomes hoisted on his own self-righteous petard. But what Wright possesses in a talent for swift, visually rich image-making he lacks in a sense of pacing and proportion. He dials "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" up to 11 within minutes, leaving him nowhere to take the narrative energy. Trippy on-screen titles ("Riiiing!" when a telephone rings, "Dddddd" when someone plays the bass), Super Mario Bros. graphics, light saber duels, jump cuts, screen wipes, zingers, quips and doggerel -- it's all played with the same emphasis and knowing insularity. Unless you can hear its particular whistle, "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is a grind, as monotonous and enervating as one long, sneering in-joke.

Mattrick
01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Couldn't have put it better myself, Pond. I know the movie pays homage to a ton of other stuff, but unlike, say, the Scary Movies franchise or Vampires Suck (you can actually see my eyes possitively rolling right now, can't you?) these aren't done at the expense of a lack of plot, more like little background details that show just how much these characters practically live in a world of films, games and comics. You described Scott Pilgrim as a "nerd's wet daydream in 10th grade math", and you know what, that's exactly what it's like. It's the way Scott sees the world, a man who's 22 and yet refuses to grow up, to accept some responsibility. Ultimately, he does, and he apologises for the mistakes he's made and acting like a jerk, and in those moments, the action for once quietens down and for once we have something a lot closer to real life.

All those little references though are just part of Wright's style. Everything else? Multi-angles, aspect ratio changes, onomatopoetic words used, all of these are the little unique things that only he would do, and I'd hardly call him a "safe" director for that. Well, no more so than Tarantino including music from a Fistful of Dollars and the Ironside theme in his Kill Bill movies. Neither are really works of art, but they are extremely entertaining to watch, at least.

So Scott sees the world like that and that grants him and other people super powers? there is nothing in this movie like real life. Well, there is, since our young society is a bunch of trendy, self absorbed people. Everyone in the movie is completely vapid and cliched. And Michael Cera has been playing the same character for like ten years now, this really must stop.

Tarantino's borrows a lot. Difference is; we know he can make original stuff. Inglorious Basterds was great and totally original. Not to mention he's a FANTASTIC script writer and he is great with his actors and gets good performances from them. As I said in the Grestest Directors Tournament, he's is not a very good director, above average, but not great.

alkanto
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Wright can write original stuff, though. Ever seen his sitcom, Spaced? I just finished watching the first season and it is completely different from anything I have ever seen! And in a very good way!

Saying it is not like life real life isn't entirely true, I don't think...what Dodge is trying to say is that when there aren't huge super-powered battles and you get to the actual emotional parts of the story, it mirrors a lot of what happens in real life. Scott does go through changes in the movie. At the end, the only reason he succeeds is because he gains much-needed self respect and stops looking at things so superficially. He changes from the 20-something gamer who has nothing in life for himself, and 'grows up', in a sense. Just because this all happens under the guise of a giant boss battle with game graphics, doesn't mean it is means any less. It's just the story's way of getting that across.
I dunno...maybe that's more obvious to us who have read the comics, but I think it's still important to the story.

but, if you don't like it, that's okay...you've certainly backed yourself up well enough. That's the joy of cinema, right? There's always something for everyone...

DoctorDodge
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Tarantino's borrows a lot. Difference is; we know he can make original stuff. Inglorious Basterds was great and totally original.

Ugh, don't get me started on Inglourious Basterds. I thought it was Tarantino's weakest, if I'm honest. Especially with that stupid, dumb arsed ending. And as for being totally original: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/movieconnections
Hell, even the name of it was a homage to The Inglorious Bastards! Yes, i'm aware of the two apparently being very different, but it was still another one of his little nods.

Although, to be fair:

Wright can write original stuff, though. Ever seen his sitcom, Spaced? I just finished watching the first season and it is completely different from anything I have ever seen! And in a very good way!

I love Spaced to bits, and yes, it was amazingly different to just about any sitcom ever made, but that was full of tv, film and game references non-stop! Hell, the opening moments has the line, "I cried like a child at the end of Terminator 2!" Thing is, Wright didn't write a single word of the greatest sitcom ever, he only directed it: everything was written by Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson. An easy mistake to make though, considering it matches his style to a T.

but, if you don't like it, that's okay...you've certainly backed yourself up well enough. That's the joy of cinema, right? There's always something for everyone...

Never a truer word spoken, Pond. Inglourious Basterds is a film that's loved by quite a few people on this board, but I just don't "get" it, myself. Sometimes, we all just need to agree to disagree.

alkanto
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Oh, Spaced wasn't written by Wright? My mistake! Sorry 'bout that...it is remarkably similar to his own works, though, you are right! He, Pegg, and Stevenson made one helluva team!

Personally I've never been a big fan of Tarantino, either....haven't seen Basterds, though. I have a good friend who absolutely loves it, so I might check it out at some point. Who knows?
But, I mean...even us two - who have nearly identical tastes in movies/books/tv disagree on certain points of a lot of things. We just have to accept it and move on sometimes...even though it's far too much for to argue most of the time :lol:

To get us back on topic for the board, here's an actual review! :D

Watched Beverly Hills Cop last night. I really did enjoy it. I've never been a particularly huge fan of Eddie Murphy (especially not a lot of his later movies) but he did well here. His laugh is priceless! And...can you name a movie that has a catchier theme tune? I love it! Sorry I'm not giving a huge review of it...can't think of any points I loved or hated, specifically. It was just an enjoyable cop-type movie.
8/10

Mattrick
01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
You didn't like Ingorious Basterds DD? I thought it was a pretty good film. Tarantino did it all without star power which all of his films have sort of relied on. Pitt was a secondary character and wasn't featured much at all. I thought it really broke the confines of what Tarantino usually puts into a movie. I really wasn't expecting what I got from that movie, was expecting a movie action-filled, tongue in cheek kind of movie but it was very slow and brooding and relied on it's script and actors. The opening scene is simply chilling and for it, Christophe Walz defintiely deserves his oscar. I thought he did a remarkable job of brewing tensions and suspense from his script and actors alone, which is hard to do these days. I've only seen it once and I don't remember the finer points but I do very much want to see it again.

and DD, many of those connections aren't there merely to draw connections like many of his other films. A major theme to his movie is the power of cinema during this time period and we'll frankly, never see another period like that again. Film was used to control entire nations and recite feelings of hate and disgust and superiority against other nations. The Nazi's were HUGE into propaghanda film unlike any other country during the 30's and 40's. The entire cinema aspect to Basterds in reference to the power cimema gave to the Nazi Socialists. The fact alone that they all die in a theatre and are burned alive by the actual films they produce is a pretty poetic image, considering how much control film gave them.

As much as i'm not a fan of Tarantino's homages he does a good job of making it fit the tone of his film. Kill Bill was entirely a homage to old Kung-Fu movies and westerns. But the story itself was also a fantastic homage to that generation of movies and because he can craft a great story around his homages, he gets some credit for me with that. He loves movies, good ones and bad ones and sure his love for movies does influence his movie making at times. But his homages stop there. Wright brings references from all aspects of pop culture, he even uses pop culture as an inspiration for all his movies. Shaun of the Dead was pure pop culture commentary. Yet it doesn't show how pop culture affects people, merely that they live it. He loses major points for me with that.

pathoftheturtle
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I enjoyed this review:
...in a romantic fantasy only a boy could conceive, gamely urges him to follow Ramona even after cruelly dumping her. ...Do what?! It's sexist to conceive of a girl being mature about a break-up? What was cruel about it was Scott's dishonesty. He confessed and apologized for not being straight with her (with them) and Knives forgave him. I like her line "I'm too cool for you anyway." I mean, I know there's some women out there who really are like that Uma Thurman movie, but I've found that quite a few actually are good sports about dating.
...At the end, the only reason he succeeds is because he gains much-needed self respect and stops looking at things so superficially. He changes from the 20-something gamer who has nothing in life for himself, and 'grows up', in a sense. Just because this all happens under the guise of a giant boss battle with game graphics, doesn't mean it is means any less. It's just the story's way of getting that across. ...Well, it's not really true that love is less powerful than self-respect, but true love is not a substitute for that either. People who look for a partner to validate them don't know what love truly means. And I don't think that that is so horrible as I once did. You live and you learn.
...Stripped of his doe-eyed looks and indie-nerd style, Pilgrim is a selfish jerk...I don't believe this, at all, either. He was partly insensitive, and he does tend towards self-absorption, but he's very good-natured and accepting. So many contemporary comedies are spiteful and small-minded. It's refreshing to see one that plays nice.
...And I still can't get over how simply ridiculous the plot for this is. It sounds like a story some totally stoned people would think about. "Hey man, you know what would be awesome?" "No, what?" "A movie where this guy man, this geek man, has to like, fight all these guys for this girl man. And they're not just regular guys they've got like super powers and they're all evil and stuff." "Why's he fighting them" "For the girl man!" "That would be totally awesome man!...hey! What if they shot fireballs and like collected points!" "Sweet, like Mortal Kombat!" FUCK YEAH!" *high five* ...:rofl: That's really too bad... if one does get over that, it's a cool ride and decently metaphorical.

...I didn't understand where these powers that scott had came from? ...*sigh* It's just not ABOUT understanding. You understand where Spider-Man's powers came from? That spider that bit him had, like... muta... um... genetics. See? It's like... radio... something. Alright, truthfully, the explanation makes less sense than the story it supports. Scott Pilgrim is an unapologetic fantasy. That's one of the things that's good about it.

DoctorDodge
01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Well, if you want an explanation, the film clearly presents one, if you know where to look, and that explanation is this:

Scott Pilgrim is dead. He was dead before the story of the film had even begun, and he's living in his own version of purgatory.

After Envy dumped him, Scott bought a gun, blew his brains out, and ended up in an afterlife very similar to his own, but one merged with all the things he used to love: his friends, video games, comics, and even his ex-girlfriend, who in his complete and total awe of her turned her into a star and therefore unable to escape the near constant image of her, designed only to make himself suffer. A significant clue to Pilgrim's suicide is Kim, after hearing about Scott's "newnew girlfriend", makes the gesture of blowing her brains out, to remind Scott of what happened when the last girlfriend dumped him.

Although most of the characters Scott knows in the film are merely copies of people he knew in his previous life, he eventually meets another lost soul sharing the same purgatory, Knives Chau (who also suffered a huge lack of self esteem due to being dumped by her one and only boyfriend, cut herself with knives (hence her ridiculous name; it's never revealed what her real name is in the story) and hanged herself, as evidenced by her ridiculously long scarf near the end of the film). This is designed to continue the purgatory for both of them: Scott having a relationship with a high school girl because "it's easy", neither being happy or miserable, just stuck in his life of absolutely no self respect as a result, and Knives repeats the same mistake of going out with a boy who's really just taking advantage of her.

However, a way out of purgatory eventually presents itself when a new soul arrives: Ramona, a woman who hadn't committed suicide but had in fact been murdered by Gideon who had bashed her head in with her own hammer (a much smaller version than the one we saw in the film, obviously), clearly showing why Ramona keeps rubbing the back of her head and the real reason why Gideon had a way of getting into her head. With Ramona, Scott can find true happiness and finally move onto the next life, but before he can fully do that, the challenge of Ramona's seven evil exes (all of which are merely exaggerations of the real thing, but she really did go out with all 7) is given to Scott to deal with, to really prove once and for all if he actually deserves a happy afterlife. As mentioned before, because this the purgatory that Scott created, he is allowed to fight by his rules, which are specifically the rules he learned from playing hours and hours of Street Fighter, Super Mario and other games he wasted his life with.

However, he only truly learns to move on when he gets past his old life and finds the self respect within himself to get out of purgatory. Ramona finds the power to move on by finally getting over the boyfriend who killed her and facing up to him. Knives does find the way to move on herself when she has enough self respect by realising that she's too cool for Scott, but decides to stay behind, as the purgatory she's in is one she can still be happy in. Scott and Ramona enter subspace together (in reality, the way into Heaven, although the other side was always blocked to Scott and Ramona for not dealing with their problems until the end of the film), and are finally at peace. This is even more clearer in the comic when they fade into white in the final pages as they enter subspace.

Obviously, that's all bullshit. I just fancied an excuse at trying my own "it was all a purgatory" ending for once. Been quite a popular ending for more than a few stories over the past year or so, especially one of my favourite tv series that ended last year, although I will admit, it was a great ending. No, not that one, although that ending was good too. Path's explanation of the fact that there doesn't need to be an explanation is the best one there is.

Jean
01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Have just watched a wonderful, wonderful film -

Paperhouse (1988, directed by Bernard Rose)

Heather and Melike, if you haven't seen it, do it now, it's our type of film.

LindaBearQueen, I so hope you might like it too! although I confess it is kinda twisted, like most of what bears, heathers and melikeys enjoy

candy
01-25-2011, 12:09 PM

...I didn't understand where these powers that scott had came from? ...*sigh* It's just not ABOUT understanding. You understand where Spider-Man's powers came from? That spider that bit him had, like... muta... um... genetics. See? It's like... radio... something. Alright, truthfully, the explanation makes less sense than the story it supports. Scott Pilgrim is an unapologetic fantasy. That's one of the things that's good about it.

don't sigh at me. at least spider man tried to give some kind of explanation, and to be honest it wasn't the lack of explanation that bugged me, it was the film just jumped into it without even setting the premise up. No plot, no character development, no even funny lines, in my opinion - and this is the crux I didn't find it funny, I didn't find it all at engaging and i didn't see it as a fantasy film.

and i like fantasy, some of my favourite films are fantasy films. I like silly, i love Monty Python. What i don't like is watching a film that asks me to park my brain at the door because it is not going to bother explaining whats going on or why.

Obviously this film is meant for a certain generation who 'get it' and i am fine with that, just don't ask me to like a film just because i should 'get it'

pathoftheturtle
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, I never park my brain and I'm near your age, never been much of a gamer and gave up comic collecting many years ago, but still I like this movie.

Not trying to make you feel bad about your personal opinion... it just seems like you're being rather vehement in your condemnation of it.

Jean
01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
now you two got me interested

Heather19
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Have just watched a wonderful, wonderful film -

Paperhouse (1988, directed by Bernard Rose)

Heather and Melike, if you haven't seen it, do it now, it's our type of film.

LindaBearQueen, I so hope you might like it too! although I confess it is kinda twisted, like most of what bears, heathers and melikeys enjoy

Thanks! I'll have to search for it because it appears that netflix doesn't have it :( But as soon as I find it I'll definitely check it out. Sounds really good.

Have you by chance ever seen Tideland? I think it's one you'd enjoy.

Jean
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
haven't seen it, but looks like I will in the nearest future...

:rose:

DoctorDodge
01-25-2011, 03:18 PM

If there's one thing that's interesting to see about Scott Pilgrim, it's the reaction to it. I have never seen a film split people so cleanly down the middle into the "love" and "hate" camps as SP. Sometimes, it can be attributed to whether you played a ton of video games and are of a certain generation or not, but even then, it's not that simple: my mum who's never played a video game in her life enjoyed in the film, but equally i've seen hardcore gamers who've also hated it.

Would I recommend it to ya, Jean? Probably not, but then again, I'm surprised path enjoyed it, so I'm no longer sure how people will react to the film, really.

Still Servant
01-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Basterds was a masterpiece, but that's just me.

alinda
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs464.snc4/50274_115941171284_5988875_n.jpg
I love this movie, finlly a film i can give an 10/10 to.....watch this movie if you get the chance.:clap:

fernandito
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Basterds was a masterpiece, but that's just me.

Don't know if I'd call it a masterpiece, but it's definitely in the upper echelon of last decade's best films.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Basterds as a Masterpiece...not quite. Basterds as Tarantino's masterpiece? Hells yes.

fernandito
01-26-2011, 01:04 AM
THE definite Tarantino film ? I think that honor belongs to Pulp Fiction.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 03:21 AM
I never said definitive, I said masterpiece. Inglorious Basterds was Tarantino's only stab at a true drama and it was very good. It had a lot more to it from a directing and writing stand point than Pulp Fiction. I love Pulp Fiction but I consider Basterds to be his masterpiece. I love Pulp Fiction but it shares too much in common with all his other works. Basterds was his only departure from what Tarantino usually makes.

ICry4Oy
01-26-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm glad you decided to see the movie and didn't just take my word for it.

...and... HOLY CRAP ILU!!!:wub: I agree so much with absolutely everything you said about it - espically about the roommate.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Like I said on FB I know I'ma little late, but Inception was AMAZING. I cant wait to see it again today. Brilliant!

Jean
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM

If there's one thing that's interesting to see about Scott Pilgrim, it's the reaction to it. I have never seen a film split people so cleanly down the middle into the "love" and "hate" camps as SP. Sometimes, it can be attributed to whether you played a ton of video games and are of a certain generation or not, but even then, it's not that simple: my mum who's never played a video game in her life enjoyed in the film, but equally i've seen hardcore gamers who've also hated it.

Would I recommend it to ya, Jean? Probably not, but then again, I'm surprised path enjoyed it, so I'm no longer sure how people will react to the film, really.
path's opinion is what actually made me think I might enjoy it... when I was reading the reviews and synopsis, I was dead sure it was totally out of the question

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs464.snc4/50274_115941171284_5988875_n.jpg
I love this movie, finlly a film i can give an 10/10 to.....watch this movie if you get the chance.:clap: Will, absolutely, as soon as I can

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I'cw heard mixed reactions about The Lovely Bones. But I'm a Stanley Tucci fan and he's supposed to be great in it.

Jean, have you seen Buried yet? Movie is right up your alley methinks. Very Hitchcockian. Wrote a little review on it a few pages back.

DoctorDodge
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I never said definitive, I said masterpiece. Inglorious Basterds was Tarantino's only stab at a true drama and it was very good. It had a lot more to it from a directing and writing stand point than Pulp Fiction. I love Pulp Fiction but I consider Basterds to be his masterpiece. I love Pulp Fiction but it shares too much in common with all his other works. Basterds was his only departure from what Tarantino usually makes.

My biggest problem with Inglourious Basterds wasn't that it was somewhat different from what i expected, as the slow paced, serious and surprisingly dramatic approach was interesting, I must admit, and even with some moments of dialogue that I found too long and unnecessary in some places i thought it wasn't too bad, and an interesting approach on Tarantino doing a war film, a film that was slightly more artistic than his previous offerings.

And then Hitler gets killed in an exploding cinema.

Seriously, what the fuck? I wasn't asking for impeccable historical accuracy here, but it kinda ruined the serious approach Tarantino had been taking with that film. It's not that I hate the ending by itself: if Tarantino had made Inglourious Basterds as an over the top violence fest tribute to the old grindhouse war movies proper, I would've found that kind of ending perfect for it (like when Bruce Willis confessed to killing Bin Laden in Planet Terror: in a film like that, you expect that kind of stupid detail in the film, as the entire movie has no logic whatsoever and is all the better for it). But that's not what Tarantino made, and I just found that ending completely stupid and terribly forced as a result.

Still, i've only watched Inglourious Basterds once. Maybe my opinion of it will change upon a re-watch. It wouldn't be the first time: when I first watched Blade Runner, I thought it was ok, but i was a little dissapointed it was not the kind of dark, action adventure scifi thrillride I had been expecting. The second time, I began to like it. Now, it's easily one of my favourite movies. Who knows, maybe upon a 2nd viewing, I'll begin to appreciate IB a lot more.

path's opinion is what actually made me think I might enjoy it... when I was reading the reviews and synopsis, I was dead sure it was totally out of the question

Well, I'd certainly be interested in reading a review from ya Jean, even if you completely loathed the film. At least that way, you'd learn that those two English films I recommended were a fluke and that I really do have terrible taste in films!

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
The movie was about american machoism. The very fact that They show Americans decimated the hell out of Hitler at close range with automatic weapons is in fact the very mindset of the American Army at the time and has kind of always been the american army mindset. OOOWAH lets KICK SOME ASS. The Basterds were a mostly jewish american team. The entire movie is nothing but a revenge fantasy and it shows the cultural differences of what revenge is. The french idea of revenge was subtle and pretty artistic and ironic where as the American idea of revenge was more brutal and in your face

I myself have only seen it once. At first I was taken back by it's dramatic tone as I was expecting something a little more tongue in cheek maybe, a little more over the top action. And it did have elements of that (Brad Pitt passing himself off as an Italian "BONJOURNO" in a southern drawl) but I appreciated it so much more. I really would like to see it again, to understand it more. I think a second re-watch may help. I know sometimes a second watch it what it takes for me to appreciate a film that different and more challenging to interpret than originally thought. It's so easy to be so caught up in simply absorbing everything the first time without paying attention to it's nuances.

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2009/52/the-deep-morals-of-inglourious-basterds/

Check out this review, it helped me appreacte the movie more.

pathoftheturtle
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM

path's opinion is what actually made me think I might enjoy it... when I was reading the reviews and synopsis, I was dead sure it was totally out of the question.I honestly do not understand you quite well enough to say, sir. I'm nearly sure that you won't totally love it, but I do think you might not totally hate it. Anyway, I too would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

I love this movie, finlly a film i can give an 10/10 to.....watch this movie if you get the chance.:clap: Will, absolutely, as soon as I canRight on. I totally loved it, too.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
i've seen "The Lovely Bones" i give that one a 5/10 it was a nice original idea. but it just didn't pay off. it dragged on to long as well.

anyways my film? "Resident Evil":Afterlife" 10/10 i thought the last one stunk but the newest one is one of the best ones they've done so far. only downside? too many damn slow motion scenes & "Paul W.S. Anderson" really NEEDED to cut back on those.

Jean
01-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Jean, have you seen Buried yet? Movie is right up your alley methinks. Very Hitchcockian. Wrote a little review on it a few pages back. Yes, I read it and it made me want to watch it.

Well, I'd certainly be interested in reading a review from ya Jean, even if you completely loathed the film. At least that way, you'd learn that those two English films I recommended were a fluke and that I really do have terrible taste in films! with "those two English films" you've created such a credit history for yourself that now you can recommend a Tarantino... hell, a Spielberg movie to me, and I will meekly watch without a murmur

so, bears' To Watch list:

Tideland
Black Swan
The Lovely Bones
Buried
Scott Pilgrim

Darkthoughts
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM
My sister has Scott Pilgrim and has promised to lend it to me this weekend, I'm interested to see it now after all the discussion!

Black Swan - 9/10

Excellent, much darker than I expected, but I usually go into films not knowing what to expect as I don't watch tv much at all and rarely see trailers and "the making of" style programmes.

I loved the attention to detail in the film, tiny things like - as she becomes more absorbed in the role her training clothes go from white to grey to black. Similarly I like how characters who are antagonistic towards her, or that she perceives as being so, are dressed in black too. The cinematography in general was excellent, very atmospheric. Natalie Portman's portrayal of her character was so good that I felt anxious just watching her, you know, the way she portrayed the fragility of Nina as a person, it really came through the screen and affected me, it was brilliant.

Her mother scared the crap out of me! Wow, what a great character, and I loved that you were never sure if you should be suspicious of everyone or just worried about Nina's mental health. This was definately the best film I've seen at the cinema in a long time, definately glad I saw it on the big screen. I haven't given it a 10 because I'm reserving that for the really rare films that leave you speechless, so 9 in this instance is a great score.

Mattrick
01-27-2011, 02:32 AM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/BlackSwanPoster.jpg
Black Swan [2010]
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writers: Andres Heinz, Mark Heyman and John McLaughlin
Cast: Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassell and Mila Kunis

This movie is fantastic on so many levels. The primary theme of this movie is fear; fear of failing, fear of suceeding and fear of loss of self. Nina (Natalie Portman) is a ballet dancer who is very good at what she does, the problem is she doesn't have any hunger. She allows herself to dream about playing the lead in Swan Lake. Her mother is holding her back. Her mother gave up her dreams of being a dancer to raise her. She probably became a dancer to make her mother proud but is also terrified of surpassing her. Her mother (Barbara Herhsey) conflicts against he greatly after he learns she gets the lead in Swan Lake. She becomes jealous.

Her director Tomas (Vincent Cassel) sees the 'bite' that she has been repressing for so long. He makes her see it and forces her to bring it out. His goal as a director is to create art and to make his dancers be all they can be. Little does he know that he is unleashing a beast full of repressed emotions, all of them negative. Nina had made herself into a porcelain doll; beautiful yet extremely fragile and clean and elegant. In order for her to get the role, she must be able to become the black swan, she must crack herself, dirty herself and become an object of lust and desire.

Aronofsky definitely borrowed from horror directors of the 80's, using bodily mutilation to display extreme emotions. In this aspect I will not give much away. He simply is able to visualize Nina's soul (so to speak) mutate into something else. He plays with reality and fantasty seamlessly and in fact actually have them interact.

Nina is haunted; by herself, her mother, the dancer she is replacing, fellow dancer Lily (Mila Kunis) and each of these hauntings forces her deeper into the mindset of the black swan until she becomes the black swan. She in effect torments herself, she pushes herself deeper into exhaustion and derrangement. She is terrified of the horrors that lie inside her own mind and when she tapped into them, it was far too much for her.

The movie is wonderfully shot. I find Aronofsky's movies contain a very organic feel to them. From those that I've seen, he hasn't been afraid to embrace life as it is. She shows his characters at their best and their worst, he isn't afraid to show squalor and don't shy from anything derelict. He captures the reality of his settings better than any director I've seen.

The acting is wonderful and I'll be damned if Portman doesn't get the oscar for this movie. Black Swan isn't ashamed of itself, it's willing to expose itself and take risks not for the sake of taking risks, but because they were the right risks to take. At the moment, Aronofsky is my pick to win best Director and Black Swan is best picture but that may change when I watch the rest of the nominees.

10/10

Darkthoughts: I understand you're reasoning for not giving it a ten. Some people may think I'm too generous with my grades. I see my rating as the right number being it's potential and the left number as how it lived up to it. Some movies are as good as the possibly could be and Black Swan was one of them to me. Some movies have the ability to be much better than they are and others are pretty much perfect as they are.

Jean
01-27-2011, 03:36 AM
grrrr it isn't yet where... er, where I usually take them; will have to wait

will presently watch The Lovely Bones and Tideland, if everything goes well

Darkthoughts
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
I like the way you, as the audience, read so much into Nina as a person. My friend is a psychiatric nurse and when he watched it he said he saw her as a schitzophrenic, as many of his patients suffer the same delusions and paranoia. But it wasn't necessary to label anyone in the film, it was what it was - a beautiful story, very, very well told.

Mattrick, likewise I appreciate your score of ten. I feel that most of the films I purposely watch (as opposed to stuff I catch on tv by chance) are always over 5/10, so I feel like I have to be really precious with my tens so that when I do score one you'll know just how much I was blown away, y'know?

Heather19
01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
so, bears' To Watch list:

Tideland
Black Swan
The Lovely Bones
Buried
Scott Pilgrim

I can't wait for you to watch Black Swan. You're going to love it :couple:

Ricky
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Netflix hasn't sent me any "so-and-so TO BE DELIVERED TOMORROW" type e-mails lately. I thought what we had was special. :cry:

Heather19
01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Are they sending you the dvd's at least?

Mattrick
01-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Mattrick, likewise I appreciate your score of ten. I feel that most of the films I purposely watch (as opposed to stuff I catch on tv by chance) are always over 5/10, so I feel like I have to be really precious with my tens so that when I do score one you'll know just how much I was blown away, y'know?

Normally I wouldn't have so many high scoring movies but I am going out of my way to watch movies that are good that I've heard are good and end up being good. I'm a bit more generous with my tens mostly because some movies aren't trying to be say a dramatic masterpiece that leaves you speechless; many comedy and action movies are this way. If I rate a comedy 10/10 (like I Love You, Man) it's my way of saying 'this is about as good as comedies can get'. Not many comedy or action or horrors will get the ten of ten...more dramas will still get it.

I find it frustrating when people change their levels sometimes. Say they are doing a five star basis and they start doing half stars...that gives 5 stars (five levels of quality) now ten levels (which is why I do ten of ten) as they are the same thing. So when people say, start giving things 3 1/4 stars it's suddenly on a scale out of 20 and I wonder what accounts for an extra quarter of a star lol.

Usually the movies I give a ten are ones that leave something to ponder after, I rarely give a straight forward movie (like ShawShank Redemption) a ten because while they're great and powerful. A movie like Black Swan or Little Children has so many layers of interpretation and themes there is always something to go back to...these are what I give the ten mostly for. Anything else, like Buried, is a 9 usually.

Probably going to watch The Fighter tonight.

fernandito
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Jean : be warned, The Lovely Bones was voted one of the worst movies of it's respective year. Just to give you a little perpsective when heading into the film.

Jean
01-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I can't wait for you to watch Black Swan. You're going to love it :couple: I am sure I am! don't know how soon I can get to watch it, though :rose:

Jean : be warned, The Lovely Bones was voted one of the worst movies of it's respective year. Just to give you a little perpsective when heading into the film. I don't really think it matters. Some of bears' favorite films were based on totally unreadable books; then, bears' taste is often different from people's

Mattrick
01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Watching 127 Hours tomorrow :D:D:D:D:D:D

alinda
01-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Very often , the films I love are the ones that critics hate. ( even you guys) Just saying....:wtf:

Jean
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Very often , the films I love are the ones that critics hate. ( even you guys) Just saying....:wtf: yes my love, I am sorry but I have to give The Lovely Bones 1/10... and this 1 is only because the bad guy was killed with an icicle, which vividly reminds me of the current conditions in our city.

Otherwise, it is unbelievably cliched, tirivial, predictable, - I've seen all this many times before, and better - and unbearably boring. Also - without any sarcasm - was the girl supposed to be mentally retarded? I am not implying any mental-ism or whatever it may be called nowadays; only that I haven't read the book and don't know if it was intended. They say she is 14, but all her mannerisms, the way she smiles, talks and makes faces, all her facial expression and the look in her eyes, let alone what she says and does, belong to a 6 to 8 year old. I mention it only in brackets, as it were, - because all the rest sounds just as false as this, and there are topics where you just can't afford falsehood. Be true, or shut up. Or else make it a genuine genre picture, without false pretenses.

The "other world" sequences are just plain indecent. I realize that it is easier to borrow than to create, but I have watched too many horrors and mysticals to close my eyes on this shamelessness. On the one hand, one doesn't really have to be original, all one has to have is a little talent; lack thereof always tells.

And I have yet to see an American movie where the mother character wouldn't be begging for a swift kick in the pants. It too ruins for me the atmosphere of all-encompassing Luvv, say sorry.

Didn't mean it personal in any way... as I said before, bears' tastes are not the same as people's...

candy
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
the book was beautifully written and its one of the reasons i am not all that bothered about watching the film, if i randomly come across it I won't actively not watch it. But its not something i will go out of my way to watch

Linda, read the book!!

Erin
01-28-2011, 10:52 AM
The book is amazing. I was disappointed in the movie, for many of the reasons Jean mentioned. I do think Stanley Tucci was great in his role, however.

Jean
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
:rose:

bears are glad they are not alone

have at last finished watching The Idiots (Idioterne) by Lars von Trier; took me three days. I am rather inclined to like von Trier, but, really, Dogme 95? Preposterous.

Mattrick
01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Only question I have Jean...is it worth giving a watch if only for Stanley Tucci?

Jean
01-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Only question I have Jean...is it worth giving a watch if only for Stanley Tucci? My answer is a definite no, but of course tastes differ.

The last movie I saw:

Tideland

one of the most disturbing films I've evere seen

Not to give anything away, it 's about how a child can cope with any kind of reality. In a situation where everything is grotesque, nightmarishly absurd, she invents senses, she builds them from the scraps she had learned in the previous – obviously, only a marginally saner one - era of her life, and creates for herself a precarious, monstrous mental structure balancing on sanity/insanity, dreams/reality, rationalization/ignorance, which is her only way of survival in the reality that is far beyond nightmare.

I have only two complaints: first, as it is often the case with arthouse, the movie lacks the story; they usually think the story is something not necessary in a work of art, as opposed to a commercial product, but it is just not so: the composition suffers from a feeble storyline, the rhythme stumbles and the whole thing loses its pitch and moment at places. Another thing is that the dreams and visions do not live up to the rest of the imagery; but of course it is difficult to shoot a plausible vision, and no technical progress will help a director with this.

Otherwise, the film is fantastic. Do I recommend it? No.

DoctorDodge
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Very often , the films I love are the ones that critics hate. ( even you guys) Just saying....:wtf: yes my love, I am sorry but I have to give The Lovely Bones 1/10... and this 1 is only because the bad guy was killed with an icicle, which vividly reminds me of the current conditions in our city.

Otherwise, it is unbelievably cliched, tirivial, predictable, - I've seen all this many times before, and better - and unbearably boring. Also - without any sarcasm - was the girl supposed to be mentally retarded? I am not implying any mental-ism or whatever it may be called nowadays; only that I haven't read the book and don't know if it was intended. They say she is 14, but all her mannerisms, the way she smiles, talks and makes faces, all her facial expression and the look in her eyes, let alone what she says and does, belong to a 6 to 8 year old. I mention it only in brackets, as it were, - because all the rest sounds just as false as this, and there are topics where you just can't afford falsehood. Be true, or shut up. Or else make it a genuine genre picture, without false pretenses.

The "other world" sequences are just plain indecent. I realize that it is easier to borrow than to create, but I have watched too many horrors and mysticals to close my eyes on this shamelessness. On the one hand, one doesn't really have to be original, all one has to have is a little talent; lack thereof always tells.

And I have yet to see an American movie where the mother character wouldn't be begging for a swift kick in the pants. It too ruins for me the atmosphere of all-encompassing Luvv, say sorry.

Didn't mean it personal in any way... as I said before, bears' tastes are not the same as people's...

I haven't seen The Lovely Bones yet, or read the book. I might check it out for myself. To be honest, I really loved director Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies, I think he did an impressive job at adapting those, but then again, I also hated his version of King Kong, so it could go either way.

Heather19
01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it Jean. I thought it'd be one that you would find interesting. It definitely could have been stronger, but overall I thought it was pretty unique and different.

Mattrick
01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
127 Hours 9/10

Too tired, do up a review tomorrow.

devo133
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Hello all.. its been a while. Just saw Black Swan, I didn't get the hype but it was good. I just couldn't relate to the characters and ballet dancing in general. If i did, it would've been a great film.

I highly recommend The Town for those who haven't seen it. It was quite a surprise. The acting and plot was very good. I guess I relate more with bank thieves lol.

I can't wait to see the Rite it looks good. Anthony Hopkins can really play an evil villain.

Mattrick
01-29-2011, 05:56 AM
You don't need to relate to ballet dancing in Black Swan anymore than you need to relate to wrestling in The Wrestler.