PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45

allasorte
12-18-2022, 08:50 AM

I heard it was over 3 hours, and almost exactly like the original except with water. I'll watch this at home; eventually.

Mattrick
12-19-2022, 08:33 PM
I rewatched Burning, which is such a terrific film. Meticulously constructed and every choice means something.

Then I watched Contact for the first time in 20 years and it still holds up really well.

Tommy
12-20-2022, 01:41 AM
Sissy is fantastic. Great fun horror. 3.75/4

What are the best horror movies you've seen from this year?

Odetta
12-20-2022, 04:57 PM
Just saw “The Menu”, I really enjoyed it. Great social commentary!

Odetta
12-20-2022, 05:04 PM
Don't Worry Darling was a fine movie, don't get all the hate for it. It's all the extracurriculars that happened outside of the movie probably.

The concept needed a lot more fleshing out but the execution was fine enough. Gets a 3/5 from me.

I think there was a lot of potential for this movie to say something important and it dropped the ball.
Harry Styles was weak compared to Pugh and Pine, it was very apparent. Ending was rushed.

The film was stunning and there were some great performances, but something was missing for me.

Randall Flagg
12-31-2022, 11:22 AM
Menu:

A delightful black comedy that skewers super high end restaurants and the people from the top 1% who can afford to dine there, and thus brag about it. At times you sympathize with the Chef and his staff, at others you feel a little for the spoiled diners. In the end they all get what they wanted/deserved.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

The bread-less bread course was brilliant.

DoctorZaius
12-31-2022, 12:29 PM

Just saw it last night, and I had a very different reaction. 8.5/10 for me. I really enjoyed the water sequences quite a bit. Loved the continued world building.

DoctorZaius
12-31-2022, 12:30 PM
The Banshees of Inisherin is destined to be one of those films that a lot of people don't see, but I think it's one of the best films of the year. The film is packed with fantastic performances and its relatively basic plot shouldn't be as captivating as it is. It's also one of the more genuinely funny films of the year.

Martin McDonagh doesn't make a lot of films, but so far he hasn't missed.

I quite agree. This one is really special.

Cook
01-01-2023, 09:35 AM
Menu:

A delightful black comedy that skewers super high end restaurants and the people from the top 1% who can afford to dine there, and thus brag about it. At times you sympathize with the Chef and his staff, at others you feel a little for the spoiled diners. In the end they all get what they wanted/deserved.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

The bread-less bread course was brilliant.

Very much looking forward to seeing this.

mae
01-01-2023, 10:22 AM
The Menu is dropping soon on HBO Max, I believe.

St. Troy
01-01-2023, 10:33 AM
A Christmas Story Christmas

Pretty much the perfect sequel to A Christmas Story, done with all the respect and care toward the original a fan of the original could want, preserving the mood and humor to an amazing extent.

Tommy
01-03-2023, 06:36 PM
The Fabelmans 4/4

fernandito
01-04-2023, 08:36 AM
The Menu is dropping soon on HBO Max, I believe.

Saw it. Solid 3.5, maybe 4 out of 5. I really enjoyed the performances, I get the critique and what it was going for and all that. I wanted it to fully plunge its hands into the absurdity of it all. Felt like it played it a little too safe sometimes.

Also, Anna Taylor Joy is bae.

Still Servant
01-09-2023, 06:34 PM
I caught The Menu this past weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the trailer was just OK.

I also enjoyed The Pale Blue Eye. The film is directed by one of my favorite directors, Scott Cooper. I love that time period. The film is a slow burn for sure, but the mystery is solid.

Tommy
01-10-2023, 12:34 AM
The Banshees of Inisherin 4/4

Randall Flagg
01-10-2023, 10:06 AM
The Banshees of Inisherin 4/4
I really enjoyed that film. Low key, dark wry humor makes the movie so pleasurable. Would rate it 5/6 beers on the RFSRS

fernandito
01-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Banshees is great. Solid 4/5 for me.

The dialogue was just off the charts good, excellent wry humor as y'all mentioned. I like films that deal with existential dread. Colin and Gleeson have incredibly on screen chemistry together.

Cook
01-10-2023, 01:42 PM

The dialogue was just off the charts good, excellent wry humor as y'all mentioned. I like films that deal with existential dread. Colin and Gleeson have incredibly on screen chemistry together.

Give a whole new meaning to "giving someone the finger" lol

fernandito
01-10-2023, 02:47 PM

OMG. I just realized that, LMAO.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2023, 04:16 PM

In the end you almost had to "hand it to him".

Tommy
01-10-2023, 08:28 PM
The Menu 3.5/4

DoctorZaius
01-10-2023, 08:40 PM
Took my daughter to see M3gan. We both loved the campiness of it all. Laughed a lot. Not the horror film I was expecting, but good fun nonetheless. 8/10

Tommy
01-10-2023, 11:44 PM
I read that it got really big on Tiktok before it's release and the director dialed back some of the gory bits probably because a lot of kids were asking their parents to take them to see it and a possible unrated version is on it's way. A very fun horror flick. A.I. Artificial Intelligence/Child's Play/2001:A Space Odyssey/TikTok 3/4

Mattrick
01-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Finally watched Jackass Forever. I laughed a whole lot. 5/5

webstar1000
01-12-2023, 08:47 AM

I LOVED IT.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2023, 06:02 PM

I LOVED IT.
I thought it was OK. I will say they let themselves be harmed for the purpose of the movie, and it was fascinating to see the degrees (injuries) people will go to so they can be on film.
15 minutes of fame...50 years of pain.
I'd give it 3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Randall Flagg
01-14-2023, 10:32 AM
Plane

A throwback to late 80's action movies. Rated R for a few violent scenes that were well shot, but not excessively gross. Those scenes did elicit a few shocked reactions from the audience.
At 107 minutes they knew when to stop. Any longer and it would have been tedious. A seemingly uncut fight scene between Butler and a bad guy was well shot and quite intense.
Mike Colter as the prisoner does a nice job with the few lines tossed his way. Perfect movie for a rainy day (it was pouring here) and two adult beverages.

4/6 on the RFSRS

I thought they might do a mid/post credit scene with Colter and whatever became of him, but sadly no.

Mattrick
01-14-2023, 12:07 PM
The Whale - Not a perfect film, but an effective one. Good performances all around. I can understand where some of the criticism of the film comes from, especially being stuck in the apartment with Charlie. But the sheer lack of style and as-a-matter-of-factness to the presentation contributes so much to the effect of the film. There are interesting parallels here to both The Wrestler and Mother! in the narrative and in the setting. The big complaint that I disagree with is that the dialogue and writing is a little too on the nose, which it is, but when you're dealing with a protagonist who care barely move... that's kind of the only way Charlie can communicate his motivations and the film's themes.

What I really liked about the film was how it challenges the audience to empathize with Charlie by playing against long-standing stereotypes that obese characters in film exist to be mocked and belittled. Our first impulse to seeing Charlie squeeze half a bottle of ranch dressing on a slice of pizza may be to laugh, be aghast, be disgusted, but Aronofsky is clearly hoping if they is our first response to quickly empathize with Charlie's motivation for that act of blatant self-abuse.

Big ups Hong Chau and Sadie Sink for two excellent supporting performances that do so much for this film.

4/5

Still Servant
01-16-2023, 04:48 PM
It's been less than 24 hours since I left the theater after seeing Babylon, but I have to say I thought it was fantastic. I know a lot of people have issues with it, but I think what Chazelle has crafted needs to be applauded.

If you have been hanging around this forum for as long as I have then it means you love movies and if you love movies then you should at the very least appreciate what the film is trying to do.

Randall Flagg
01-27-2023, 03:38 PM
Infinity Pool.
The "rotten" apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Brandon Cronenberg.....yes son of David creates something familiar....familial here.
A cross between a tropical "Midsommar", and a peyote, mushroom, bark hallucination viewing of "Crash", this film is a slowly developing mind fuck.
Alexander Skarsgård delivers, but Mia Garth (X, Pearl) steals the show.
Many hyper kinetic shots will cause epilepsy in some (there is a warning before the movie begins) and lead to multiple pauses and frame by frame viewing when available on DVD, streaming.

What happens when you watch your clone being killed? What if it's you that was killed? How would "you" know?

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Tommy
01-30-2023, 01:09 AM
Infinity Pool.

Brandon Cronenberg.....yes son of David creates something familiar....familial here.
A cross between a tropical "Midsommar", and a peyote, mushroom, bark hallucination viewing of "Crash", this film is a slowly developing mind fuck.

Peter Skarsgard delivers, but Mia Garth (X, Pearl) steals the show.
Many hyper kinetic shots will cause epilepsy in some (there is a warning before the movie begins) and lead to multiple pauses and frame by frame viewing when available on DVD, streaming.

What happens when you watch your clone being killed? What if it's you that was killed? How would "you" know?

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

*Alexander Skarsgård
This movie is f****d up. Have you seen his film Possessor Unrated?

Randall Flagg
01-30-2023, 08:57 AM
I haven't seen Possessor.
Thanks for the heads up on the correct name and spelling for Skarsgård.

Still Servant
01-30-2023, 05:34 PM
I enjoyed Infinity Pool, but like Possessor, the film left me kind of feeling like I wanted more. Both films feel like they are scratching the surface of something bigger but never dive headfirst into it. I would have loved for them to explore the themes you put in your spoiler tag more.

A agree with you, Mia Goth steals the entire film. She was great in Pearl and I can't wait to see what else she does. I actually remember being impressed with her way back in 2016 with her performance in a film that nobody saw called A Cure for Wellness.

"Jaaaaaaaaaaames!"

Randall Flagg
02-03-2023, 05:45 PM
Viewed "Knock at the Cabin" today.

Incredibly nuanced performances by the "giant" Dave Bautista, and young actress Kristen Cui. The trailers reveal the premise so no need to rehash that.
Great 35MM cinematography kicks the movie off, and continues with "Kodak" colors and saturation.
Essentially a one stage play, Shyamalan ratchets up the tension, while maintaining a sense of belief (for zealots,and soon to be captives).

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

The Shyamalan twist spoiler is:

There is no great twist

Randall Flagg
02-04-2023, 05:36 PM
Damn. Does anyone here get out to see a movie?

Mattrick
02-04-2023, 06:39 PM

I'm too busy studying film to go watch films. I'm going to go out to see Knock at the Cabin next weekend, maybe. On my reading week at the very least.

Cook
02-05-2023, 02:56 PM

I spent pretty good money a ways back so I could watch from home, 4K, dolby Atmos.
Plus you can pause.. hit the head, mix a nice rum drink, grab a beer, then resume. :)

Garrell
02-05-2023, 03:09 PM
Seeing Knock at the Cabin next Sunday

DoctorDodge
02-05-2023, 11:01 PM

I used to see movies on my own. But ever since I got married, I don't see them unless they're with my family. The problem is we're still living in different countries atm, so it's not easy. The second that changes, I'm sure I'll be going to the cinema on a regular basis.

Still Servant
02-06-2023, 02:42 PM

I was sick this weekend. I really wanted to see Knock at the Cabin.

I was going to report on a few of the films I watched for Sundance, but I figured most people don't care because they are films people won't hear about for months.

Ricky
02-06-2023, 03:05 PM
Same, Mike! Planned to go see it this weekend but got sick (I think flu, since 'rona tests were negative) on Thursday and have been home since. On the plus side, I've been able to catch up on some movies that I missed: The Menu, Glass Onion, and The Good Nurse.

Still Servant
02-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Same, Mike! Planned to go see it this weekend but got sick (I think flu, since 'rona tests were negative) on Thursday and have been home since. On the plus side, I've been able to catch up on some movies that I missed: The Menu, Glass Onion, and The Good Nurse.

All quality films. The Menu was a nice surprise for me.

I watched Tar yesterday and I'm not sure if I watched a different film but I could not get into it. I'm not sure where all the love is coming from. It's a glacially slow film where there's truly not a lot happening. You feel every second of its unnecessary 2 hours and 40 minutes runtime.

My instincts were right on this one. As soon as I saw the trailer, I knew it wasn't for me.

mae
02-08-2023, 03:56 PM
I'm really sad to hear that because I really liked Tar. Not the best of the year or anything but high up there.

fernandito
02-09-2023, 08:50 AM
Tar and Aftersun are the top of my to-watch list cause of all the buzz they've been getting.

I somehow missed Decision To Leave in theaters so I want to watch that too. I'll watch anything by Park.

mae
02-09-2023, 08:57 AM
I’m thinking Aftersun will end up very close to the top of the year for me.

Tommy
02-09-2023, 11:29 PM
Knock at the Cabin 3/4

Randall Flagg
02-11-2023, 12:11 PM
A Man Called Otto:

Predictable, maudlin yet well acted and tender.
4/6 Beers on the RFSRS

fernandito
02-13-2023, 01:37 PM
Just rewatched Memories of Murder after like 10 years of not having watched it. Damn what a great film. Ending still haunts me.

4/5

Still Servant
02-14-2023, 04:30 PM
I'm really sad to hear that because I really liked Tar. Not the best of the year or anything but high up there.

Maybe there was just too much hype for me, but I really tried to like it. The first 3rd of the film was too much musical jargon.

I read an article from a composer that said he watched the film and cringed at some of those scenes because there was so much inside technical jargon that he was afraid people would be put off by it. Most sports movies don't include things like that because they want it to be accessible to people who don't know the ins and outs of the sport.

Just rewatched Memories of Murder after like 10 years of not having watched it. Damn what a great film. Ending still haunts me.

4/5

It's a masterpiece. That film gets better every time I watch it.

mae
02-14-2023, 04:52 PM
The first 3rd of the film was too much musical jargon.

I read an article from a composer that said he watched the film and cringed at some of those scenes because there was so much inside technical jargon that he was afraid people would be put off by it. Most sports movies don't include things like that because they want it to be accessible to people who don't know the ins and outs of the sport.

That's what I enjoyed about it. It wasn't fake-sounding, it was all in an effort to have it feel as real as possible. That's why it's a New Yorker interview and not a New Jerseyan.

Still Servant
02-14-2023, 04:59 PM

The first 3rd of the film was too much musical jargon.

That's what I enjoyed about it. It wasn't fake-sounding, it was all in an effort to have it feel as real as possible. That's why it's a New Yorker interview and not a New Jerseyan.

And I get that, but I spaced out during those scenes. I prefer my art on the silver screen, not the classical concert stage. I've always thought those people were insufferably pretentious and Tar did nothing to change my mind about that perception.

webstar1000
02-17-2023, 10:31 AM
Ant man… well that was every joke I’ve seen so far in marvel in one movie. Every single fight, move and story line. Sorry, they need to get moving. It’s becoming boring. Spider-Man is the only really good one since endgame. I like wakanda… but I’m growing tired. 6/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandito
02-17-2023, 11:02 AM
I'm watching Ant-Man with my bros tomorrow. Welp, at least we're going in with basement-level expectations :')

Saw The Black Phone last night. I enjoyed it... but it felt underdeveloped. Lots of stuff left unanswered. The phone ringing added tension, and Hawke was creepy af.

3/5

webstar1000
02-17-2023, 11:04 AM
I'm watching Ant-Man with my bros tomorrow. Welp, at least we're going in with basement-level expectations :')

Saw The Black Phone last night. I enjoyed it... but it felt underdeveloped. Lots of stuff left unanswered. The phone ringing added tension, and Hawke was creepy af.

3/5

Im a Marvel kid.. I REALLY see a shift happening. They showed the Flash before it as a preview and sorry BUT it looks fuckin amazing... and maybe with Gunn running the show? WE see the shift of awesomeness head over DC's way? Marvel movies are so freakin campy lately:(

Garrell
02-17-2023, 01:53 PM
Knock At The Cabin- Loved it. Book was better of course but this was done really well. First hour was by the book and the changes weren't horrible. The ending was different which was the best part of the book and why I loved it but well worth seeing. Babtista was a perfect cast for Leonard.

Tommy
02-17-2023, 07:04 PM
Can't wait to read some reviews of The Outwaters....

Still Servant
02-23-2023, 03:54 PM
Marvel might have an issue on their hands. If Guardians is met with a similarly lukewarm reception, they better start rethinking things.

Ant-Man was a mess visually.

DoctorZaius
02-23-2023, 04:17 PM
Ant man… well that was every joke I’ve seen so far in marvel in one movie. Every single fight, move and story line. Sorry, they need to get moving. It’s becoming boring. Spider-Man is the only really good one since endgame. I like wakanda… but I’m growing tired. 6/10

I liked it better than you. Quantumania comes in at an 8 for me. The Marvel universe is so large at this point that I try to not compare them so much as look forward to the narrative as a whole. Jonathan Majors' Kang was a great villain. And with the credit sequences I am looking forward to more Kang(s) in future Marvel projects, especially Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.

fernandito
02-24-2023, 02:32 PM
Ant Man

Film was all over the place. Literally. It kept zipping from location to location so fast I didn't have time to digest most of the interactions taking place.

Paul Rudd was phenomenal as always. MODOK looked ridiculous, couldn't take him seriously. Kang was amazing and Majors is shaping up to be a worthy successor to Thanos.

A few good gags and impressive visuals, but definitely one of the weaker MCU films.

2/5

webstar1000
02-24-2023, 09:25 PM
Agreed

Tommy
02-27-2023, 01:52 PM
Cocaine Bear 4/4
How can I give it anything else? It's a classic already

M3GAN Unrated on Peacock is a superior film to the theatrical release. 3.5/4
Not just gorier, which it is, but also much darker and more heavy with the premise of our daily lives dependent on machines. Shame this one didn't hit movie theaters.

Randall Flagg
03-03-2023, 05:48 PM
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre:

Stupid lengthy title that is tough to recite when someone asks "what's the most recent movie you watched?"

BTAIM, a rather obtuse plot (intentionally...?), but the actors deliver. Aubrey Plaza continues to impress, Jason Statham is...well Jason Staham. Wonderfully sublime performance by Hugh Grant as the Billionaire Arms dealer/Orphans of War philanthropist, and boy fan of a famous actor (kidnapped and blackmailed) played well by Josh Hartnet.
A bit of a Guy Richie humorous take on Bond, Mission Impossible and even his own films.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS

Still Servant
03-12-2023, 01:04 PM
I wanted to see that one a lot, but my guess is I end up catching it once it leaves theaters.

Tommy
03-12-2023, 07:29 PM
65 2/4
My bf likes dinosaurs otherwise probably would have skipped this. It's visually appealing with great special effects and gore (Sam Raimi is a producer) but check your brains at the door cause this movie seems like two people talking over a bowl and saying hey you know what would be a cool movie? If "Aliens" landed on Earth right before the meteor that killed the dinosaurs off hit. And these Aliens were also humans that knew terms like "kilometers" Now it could have been something better but the script and dialogue is just bad. I think I read this was shot under COVID restrictions which explains the 4 person cast. The action, scenery and even the acting is not terrible but I only recommend for dinosaur lovers because the dinosaurs were really cool.

Ricky
03-13-2023, 03:10 PM
I was really looking forward to 65, but I was disappointed. It felt like there were three separate movies/ideas jam-packed into one, and it didn't really work as well as I was hoping. I was expecting a straight horror/thriller survive-against-dinosaurs movie, so the pseudo-father/daughter thing didn't work for me. It's biggest sin of all is that it's a dinosaur movie that ends up being pretty slow and boring.

Still Servant
03-13-2023, 03:29 PM
I'm glad you guys are talking about 65 because I was really looking forward to it. I love dinosaurs and video games like Turok. I'm also a huge Adam Driver fan so the fact that 65 was such a mess really disappointed me.

What frustrates me more than anything is how a film can get greenlit and then go through an entire production with nobody saying, "Hey, Adam Driver is stuck on Earth with only one other person. Do you think it might be a bad idea for her not to speak any "English"? Seriously, why not make them both speak the same language? Why force Driver to do so much heavy lifting? Makes no sense.

You may have noticed I put English in quotes above. This was another thing that really took me out of the movie. We learn that Driver's character is from a planet somewhere in the galaxy. He speaks our language which I can kind of let slide if you at least introduce some other language and then imply we are now hearing it in a language we can understand.

That I can let slide, kinda. What I can't let slide is the fact that on this far-off planet, they also use kilometers to measure distance! Fucking sloppy! Why make it another planet? Make him an astronaut and make it a reverse Planet of the Apes. Done.

More and more I can tell you if a film is going to be good by looking at the directors. If they have nothing on their resume but garbage nobody has heard of, it's a huge red flag.

Ricky
03-14-2023, 03:14 PM
What frustrates me more than anything is how a film can get greenlit and then go through an entire production with nobody saying, "Hey, Adam Driver is stuck on Earth with only one other person. Do you think it might be a bad idea for her not to speak any "English"? Seriously, why not make them both speak the same language? Why force Driver to do so much heavy lifting? Makes no sense.

We learn that Driver's character is from a planet somewhere in the galaxy. He speaks our language which I can kind of let slide if you at least introduce some other language and then imply we are now hearing it in a language we can understand.

Agree with both of these points!

Still Servant
03-20-2023, 03:39 PM
I'm still waiting for the first film to be produced completely by the public. I think it would be a great experiment.

Once Matt becomes a filmmaker, we give him notes to make sure this bullshit doesn't happen.

fernandito
03-20-2023, 04:37 PM
I wanna be Executive Producer on Matt's film.

All they do is take credit and get invited to awards parties right?

That's me.

Mattrick
03-20-2023, 05:06 PM
I wanna be Executive Producer on Matt's film.

All they do is take credit and get invited to awards parties right?

That's me.

Well, technically they're the ones who own the production studios and are bankrolling the thing. So if you wanna pony up a few million dollars for me, I ain't gonna say no bro.

Mattrick
03-20-2023, 05:10 PM
I'm glad you guys are talking about 65 because I was really looking forward to it. I love dinosaurs and video games like Turok. I'm also a huge Adam Driver fan so the fact that 65 was such a mess really disappointed me.

You may have noticed I put English in quotes above. This was another thing that really took me out of the movie. We learn that Driver's character is from a planet somewhere in the galaxy. He speaks our language which I can kind of let slide if you at least introduce some other language and then imply we are now hearing it in a language we can understand.

That I can let slide, kinda. What I can't let slide is the fact that on this far-off planet, they also use kilometers to measure distance! Fucking sloppy! Why make it another planet? Make him an astronaut and make it a reverse Planet of the Apes. Done.

More and more I can tell you if a film is going to be good by looking at the directors. If they have nothing on their resume but garbage nobody has heard of, it's a huge red flag.

Man, the things I could tell you about the short film I just finished DPing in terms of how terrible scripts get through and don't get changed. I showed the assembly cut to my cinematography teacher the other day and he had no idea why any of the characters were doing what they were doing, and when I explained how it's written he just said, "Wow, there's some real leaps in logic eh?" I tried my best to make the film logical, but no changes really came about so I ended up having to make a shitty script as visually engaging as possible...thank God we had some actors who could somewhat make it work....

webstar1000
03-23-2023, 04:04 PM
JOHN WICK 4 is 11/10. WOW

webstar1000
03-23-2023, 04:11 PM
Go see it just for the shotgun scene!!

Randall Flagg
03-23-2023, 05:42 PM
At ~3 hours it was entertaining to see 1,623 people killed?

webstar1000
03-24-2023, 03:18 AM
At ~3 hours it was entertaining to see 1,623 people killed?

RF.... the time flew by. Its by far the most beautifully shot of them all as well. The directors use of color is really something here. I hope you go see it and report back what you think. There are so many scenes that had the theater jumping out of their seats and yelling out. Only a few times have I been in a theatre where the audience clapped and a full house did just that last night.

frik
03-24-2023, 06:37 AM

Have only seen the first on Netflix.
How important is it to have seen the others in order to enjoy this one?

sk

webstar1000
03-24-2023, 07:22 AM

Have only seen the first on Netflix.
How important is it to have seen the others in order to enjoy this one?

sk

i mean.. I WOULD.. but this is BY FAR the best in the series and could be enjoyed by itself on its own merits.

Still Servant
04-10-2023, 06:24 PM
Is nobody watching movies?!

I held off coming here because I didn't want to say something crazy right out of the theater, so I legit waited over a week. John Wick 4 is the greatest action film of all-time.

The End.

Tommy
04-10-2023, 06:40 PM
Paint 3/4
This is a weird fucking movie. Bob Ross fans will find it amusing but it has nothing to do with the man's life at all. I do love that The character representing Bob (not named Bob in the movie) winds up accidentally faking his own death and matures in the artist known as Banksy. The writing is nutty, sitcom writing and there are references to several decades throughout so it lives in a weird dimension all it's own. Weird but fun movie. Did I say weird enough?

Ricky
04-10-2023, 07:23 PM

I held off coming here because I didn't want to say something crazy right out of the theater, so I legit waited over a week. John Wick 4 is the greatest action film of all-time.

The End.

I just saw Chapter 2 a couple weeks ago and was really impressed!

Mattrick
04-10-2023, 07:59 PM

The End.

Between all my final projects, two nights of Wrestlemania, baseball's return, and trying to match my schedule with my friend to go see it, it just hasn't worked out for us yet. I might actually have to see it with my brother first since he has a year of free movies, then see it again with my friend at a later date.

But greatest action film? Over Fury Road? That's some very high praise!

webstar1000
04-11-2023, 04:03 AM

The End.

Between all my final projects, two nights of Wrestlemania, baseball's return, and trying to match my schedule with my friend to go see it, it just hasn't worked out for us yet. I might actually have to see it with my brother first since he has a year of free movies, then see it again with my friend at a later date.

There is no better action film made to date that is better than Wick 4. I agree with Still Servant. I have seen it twice now in theatres and I will again.

Heather19
04-11-2023, 04:21 AM
I finally watched Knock at the Cabin. I enjoyed it, but I absolutely loved the ending of the book so was pretty disappointed that M. Night changed it.

mae
04-11-2023, 05:57 AM
I finally watched Knock at the Cabin. I enjoyed it, but I absolutely loved the ending of the book so was pretty disappointed that M. Night changed it.

I’m curious about that. I was intrigued by the premise but the ending felt kind of anticlimactic to me. How was the book different?

Heather19
04-11-2023, 07:50 AM

I’m curious about that. I was intrigued by the premise but the ending felt kind of anticlimactic to me. How was the book different?

It was so different! I can message you, but is there any chance you might read the book because I would really hate to spoil it for you. It's actually one my all-time favorite endings to a book ever.

mae
04-11-2023, 12:58 PM
You could probably just put it into spoilers, but I'm not sure I'll get to it, not any time soon, I knew it was based on a novel, but I only found out about it from this movie.

fernandito
04-11-2023, 02:32 PM
Infinity Pool

Baby Cronenberg is a chip off the ole' block. A sinister cocktail of body-horror, psychedelic trip, and psychological thriller. Some insane visuals but points docked for a thin plot. The film does a great job of keeping you guessing and dreading the next reveal as they grow increasingly menacing. Great turns by Skaarsgard and Mia Goth.

3.5/5

Randall Flagg
04-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Somewhere upthread I mentioned Infinity Pool and how much I enjoyed it. I either gave it 4 or 5 beers out of 6 on the RFSRS.

EDIT: Post 10,780
I gave it 4.5/6 Beers
My spoiler covered what was not only great about the movie, but also what was lacking in the end.

fernandito
04-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Infinity Pool.

Dude I found your review, and we said almost the same thing lol.

Great minds!

OldCrow88
04-12-2023, 03:49 AM

The End.

There is no better action film made to date that is better than Wick 4. I agree with Still Servant. I have seen it twice now in theatres and I will again.

Finally saw Wick 4 last night. Fucking INCREDIBLE! Yes, even better than Fury Road, I think. So well choreographed, lighting snd editing of the fight scenes was breathtaking. Runtime was not a slog at all, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Go gun fu!

Tommy
04-12-2023, 04:46 AM
John Wick 4 is the movie of the year so far. I want to go see it again.

Heather19
04-12-2023, 05:12 AM
You could probably just put it into spoilers, but I'm not sure I'll get to it, not any time soon, I knew it was based on a novel, but I only found out about it from this movie.

I love Paul Tremblay, I definitely recommend checking out some of his books when you get a chance.

fernandito
04-12-2023, 01:21 PM

The End.

Wait wtf how did I miss this? Greatest action movie of all time (after Terminator 2 obviously) ???????

Damn now I'm even more hyped to see it. Hopefully this weekend.

Garrell
04-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Cabin may have one of the best endings ever in books. I hated the ending for about a week and it just kept growing on me.

Heather19
04-13-2023, 03:30 AM
Cabin may have one of the best endings ever in books. I hated the ending for about a week and it just kept growing on me.

Agreed. Except I loved it from the second I read it though :lol: I love endings that make you think and reflect back on the story. Also that final scene is so vivid in my mind I can still clearly picture it even though it's been years since I read it.

webstar1000
04-13-2023, 06:08 AM

Agreed. Except I loved it from the second I read it though :lol: I love endings that make you think and reflect back on the story. Also that final scene is so vivid in my mind I can still clearly picture it even though it's been years since I read it.

Just got the Audbile on your recomends!! THanks guys

Mattrick
04-13-2023, 06:20 AM
Infinity Pool

Baby Cronenberg is a chip off the ole' block. A sinister cocktail of body-horror, psychedelic trip, and psychological thriller. Some insane visuals but points docked for a thin plot. The film does a great job of keeping you guessing and dreading the next reveal as they grow increasingly menacing. Great turns by Skaarsgard and Mia Goth.

3.5/5

Brandon was in the same film school as me! Wonder if I can find his thesis film.

Heather19
04-13-2023, 05:50 PM

Just got the Audbile on your recomends!! THanks guys

Please let us know what you think of it!

DoctorZaius
04-18-2023, 06:41 AM
Finally got around to seeing Whiplash - wow! Powerhouse performances all around. Simmons and Teller (not usually a big fan of his) are amazing. The finale was superb. 9/10.

Also caught Nightcrawler. What a creepily disturbing performance by Gyllenhaal. I was surprised by how much I liked this one. 7.5/10.

fernandito
04-18-2023, 08:14 AM
Finally got around to seeing Whiplash - wow! Powerhouse performances all around. Simmons and Teller (not usually a big fan of his) are amazing. The finale was superb. 9/10.

Was just talking with Mike (Servant) about this over the weekend after rewatching the film; Simmons as Fletcher is probably the best supporting character of all time. I mean damn, that dude steals the entire show.

His performance is flawless.

Mattrick
04-18-2023, 08:35 PM

Was just talking with Mike (Servant) about this over the weekend after rewatching the film; Simmons as Fletcher is probably the best supporting character of all time. I mean damn, that dude steals the entire show.

His performance is flawless.

I remember seeing the trailer on like August 2014 and when it was done remarking to my friend, "give him the supporting actor Oscar right now."

There are no two more damaging words in the English language than "Good job."

I've had good arguments about strangers on the internet disagree with me about the end of film justifying everything that came before it. The film isn't a depiction of abusive teachers in music conservatories, it's about the insane artistic determination to achieve greatness and perfection at any cost, and how the artist feels vindicated of all wrong doings if they achieve it. You think Kubrick cares that he tortured Shelly Duvall? Look at that performance.

Mattrick
04-28-2023, 05:20 PM
Saw the 40th Anniversary re-released of Jedi. Was hoping it would be the original version, but it turns out it's the most recent bluray version that I've never seen and I fucking cackling that they dubbed in Vader going NOOOOOOO before he chucked the Emperor down the chasm. Talk about undercutting a moment.

Also finally saw John Wick Chapter 4. I don't agree with some in here that it's the greatest action film of all time (that's still Fury Road) but it was very, very good. Not even sure if it's my favourite John Wick film to be honest. The second half was great, but the first half didn't grab me right away. It wasn't until the night club scene that I really got into the film and then I was 110% there the rest of the way. This is much different than John Wick 2 with that really fun taxi garage sequence and John Wick 3 that had that ridiculous sequence when his time ran out and everyone came after Wick. I also felt Skarsgard was the worst villain of the series. He had a lot of potential in the first bit, but I dunno, he was just kind of there after that. It's not Skarsgard's fault. He was good. The character just didn't do it for me. 4.5/5

webstar1000
04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Saw the 40th Anniversary re-released of Jedi. Was hoping it would be the original version, but it turns out it's the most recent bluray version that I've never seen and I fucking cackling that they dubbed in Vader going NOOOOOOO before he chucked the Emperor down the chasm. Talk about undercutting a moment.

Also finally saw John Wick Chapter 4. I don't agree with some in here that it's the greatest action film of all time (that's still Fury Road) but it was very, very good. Not even sure if it's my favourite John Wick film to be honest. The second half was great, but the first half didn't grab me right away. It wasn't until the night club scene that I really got into the film and then I was 110% there the rest of the way. This is much different than John Wick 2 with that really fun taxi garage sequence and John Wick 3 that had that ridiculous sequence when his time ran out and everyone came after Wick. I also felt Skarsgard was the worst villain of the series. He had a lot of potential in the first bit, but I dunno, he was just kind of there after that. It's not Skarsgard's fault. He was good. The character just didn't do it for me. 4.5/5

It’s better than Max for me… much better actually.

Mattrick
04-29-2023, 02:35 PM
It’s better than Max for me… much better actually.

The thing that will likely continue to hold Fury Road in the top spot for me is that not only is it an amazing action movie, but it is also an excellent film in it's own right. I can't say the same for John Wick 4, as beautiful as the photography and the production design is...it just doesn't hit those dramatic highs that Fury Road destroys.

Tommy
04-30-2023, 07:35 PM
Renfield 3.5/4
I will more than likely watch this one again because Nicolas Cage's performance is so good, love it! Also, a pretty darn good movie even when The Count isn't on screen.

fernandito
05-01-2023, 07:44 AM

Yep. Wick 4 was a really fun movie... but it wasn't the best of the series. Not by some distance actually.

Yes, it was a highly entertaining balls-to-the-wall action film, but at some point the action just went on for too long. It also felt derivative; a lot of the set pieces were lesser versions of those from the earlier films. Club scene from W1, glass hallways from W2, dog scene from W3 etc., I enjoyed the film but glad they capped it at 4, otherwise it was starting to feel like the ouroboros, eating its own creative tail.

That final shootout though is some of the most creative camera work I've ever seen and was almost worth the price of admission alone. Masterclass in action directing.

It gets a 4/5 from me.

Tommy
05-01-2023, 03:32 PM
Beau is Afraid 4/4

You cannot explain this film to people. It just has to be seen. It brought to mind so many prior works from Greek tragedies to John Waters to Bunnuel, Lynch, Jodorowsky, Kaufman, Gondry, Fellini, even references to Joker but stylistic references that are probably imagined on my part because this film is a LOT. I have to watch something very simple and very comforting now.

webstar1000
05-05-2023, 03:53 PM
Guardians 3 is the best of the series. I had tears in my eyes way more than once. Laughed a ton and the action was just right. A wonderful send off for these guys. 9/10

DoctorZaius
05-06-2023, 10:54 AM
Guardians 3 is the best of the series. I had tears in my eyes way more than once. Laughed a ton and the action was just right. A wonderful send off for these guys. 9/10

No where near the best for me. Still, a very enjoyable ride, and yes, a great sendoff. 8/10

webstar1000
05-08-2023, 06:08 AM

No where near the best for me. Still, a very enjoyable ride, and yes, a great sendoff. 8/10

What one was your Fav?

Mattrick
05-13-2023, 02:34 PM
Guardians 3 is the best of the films. I know people didn't enjoy the 2nd one (I liked it more than the first), but I'm surprised some people really didn't like this one though it's mostly loved. Loved the scaled back plot. Villain got just enough screen time to be effective. Fun set pieces, good humour, effective drama, creative character/costume/production design. My least favourite soundtrack of the three films though.

DoctorZaius
05-14-2023, 02:48 PM

What one was your Fav?

The first one remains my favorite, one of the best in all of the MCU. Fresh and original. I disliked all of the scenes with Cosmo - sorry.

OldCrow88
05-15-2023, 02:26 AM
...I disliked all of the scenes with Cosmo - sorry.

You are a bad person! :P

Mattrick
05-24-2023, 02:31 PM
I finally got around to watching Booksmart. I had high hopes for this movie and it didn't quite reach them. i didn't even laugh for 25 minutes, and then it only managed to really pop me a few other times. But there were lots of parts I felt like there were actual jokes and gags that weren't making me laugh but I was supposed to, but then I'd get a good laugh over some subtle joke or an actor's inflection. I think it was incredibly formulaic, which was likely intentional, but it didn't do much beyond that. It borrowed a lot of storybeats from Superbad, but Booksmart didn't have the quality supporting cast of characters to make the misadventures work. The two main characters were good, but you need more than that to carry a film like this. That said, it was a well-directed film and the story was fine. It just failed for me as a girl's version of a coming of age boner comedy.

3/5

Mattrick
05-30-2023, 10:23 PM
Fast X was atrocious. It was the only Fast sequel I've seen. It was so saccharine and sentimental. The Family Meter was turned up to 11. I kept expecting all the dudes to start making out. Not even the over the top action could save this one, and really the stuff in Rome was the only stuff I'd consider over the top. I wanted submarine cars dammit. The dialogue was so on the nose and awful, I think the writer's kids actually wrote it. Momoa was fun, but it seemed like he was making fun of the movie. The whole movie felt like a parody of itself, but it wasn't quite self-aware enough to be a parody despite how much they leaned into the memes.

ratchet41
05-30-2023, 11:29 PM
really ? my folks have seen them all and they loved it. Guardians 3 i still need to see that, but i do agree part 2 for me is the better film. its' funny show many disagree with me on that as well oh i guess

St. Troy
06-01-2023, 05:20 AM
Submarine cars - not a bad idea.

DoctorZaius
06-01-2023, 05:20 PM
I actually liked Fast X quite a bit. Not the best in series, but Mamoa was great to watch. Loved the two extra credit scenes. Can't wait for the next one, or I hear there may be two more. 8.5/10

Still Servant
06-11-2023, 02:20 PM
As much as I loved Wick 4, the first is still my favorite.

I've been somewhat MIA recently, but I went back to see if anyone has talked about it and I was surprised nobody had. Has anyone seen The Covenant?

I think it's one of the better films of the year for me. It's different than anything else Guy Ritchie has ever directed.

Also, while it doesn't quite match the incredible first film, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is a lot of fun. Such a unique film experience.

webstar1000
06-11-2023, 02:21 PM
As much as I loved Wick 4, the first is still my favorite.

I've been somewhat MIA recently, but I went back to see if anyone has talked about it and I was surprised nobody had. Has anyone seen The Covenant?

I think it's one of the better films of the year for me. It's different than anything else Guy Ritchie has ever directed.

Also, while it doesn't quite match the incredible first film, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is a lot of fun. Such a unique film experience.

The Covenant is amazing. Such a good film.

Tommy
06-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Kiki's Delivery Service 4/4

Heather19
06-13-2023, 04:40 AM

Is this your first time seeing it? I love that movie.

Tommy
06-13-2023, 11:53 AM

First time in about 25 years. We've hit every Ghibli so far in this summer's Ghibli Fest. So cool getting to see them on the big screen.

Heather19
06-14-2023, 04:03 AM

First time in about 25 years. We've hit every Ghibli so far in this summer's Ghibli Fest. So cool getting to see them on the big screen.

So cool!

webstar1000
06-16-2023, 05:06 PM
FLASH. What a let down. Fire the actor that plays him. Brutal. Not funny. Couple of bad ass cameos though.
Anyway... 5/10.

DoctorZaius
06-17-2023, 07:49 AM
I watched The Drop last night for the second time. I had seen it before, but man, Tom Hardy is just amazing. This noir piece was written by Dennis Lehane, who wrote the PI series featuring Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. The books in that series set in Boston remain among my favorites. You may have seen one that adapted pretty well into a movie, Gone Baby Gone.

The Drop - 9/10
Gone Baby Gone - 8.5/10

DoctorZaius
06-17-2023, 07:50 AM
FLASH. What a let down. Fire the actor that plays him. Brutal. Not funny. Couple of bad ass cameos though.
Anyway... 5/10.

Awe man, that is too bad. Not sure I want to put my money behind that groomer anyways.

Randall Flagg
06-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Anyway... 5/10.

A local reviewer said having a bad actor play two versions of himself made it twice as excruciating.

webstar1000
06-17-2023, 10:01 AM
Anyway... 5/10.

A local reviewer said having a bad actor play two versions of himself made it twice as excruciating.

Well said. There was two cameos... no 3. One I loved!!! One was funny... one was cool. That's it.

mae
06-17-2023, 12:26 PM
I thought The Flash was a lot of fun. Some incredible cameos. But also a really good time travel story with a touching and heartfelt center.

frik
06-18-2023, 05:49 AM
I thought The Flash was a lot of fun. Some incredible cameos. But also a really good time travel story with a touching and heartfelt center.

Hope to see it tomorrow - can't wait!

sk

webstar1000
06-18-2023, 08:38 AM

Total Cheese fest. The jokes fell so flat. Eye rolled more during this than any other movie in recent memory. The three surprise cameos I liked a lot.
That's about it. I'm really disappointed and let down. I don't get why they feel the need to try and be funny with such silly humour.

fernandito
06-19-2023, 11:11 AM
The cameos were the best parts of the film, Keaton as Batman is Goated... but yeah everything else fell flat for me too.

Also The Flash apparently made a pitstop in 2004 as well cause that CGI was horrendous.

5/10 for me too.

webstar1000
06-19-2023, 11:12 AM
The cameos were the best parts of the film, Keaton as Batman is Goated... but yeah everything else fell flat for me too.

Also The Flash apparently made a pitstop in 2004 as well cause that CGI was horrendous.

5/10 for me too.

It was literally the worst CGI I've seen since the 90's. I cannot believe how shitty this film was. The more I think on it the more I hate it. That guy cannot act either.... he is a train wreck anyways. Bye bye

mae
06-19-2023, 12:35 PM
I've seen the comments about the bad CGI but I didn't really notice anything too different from any Marvel movie. Shrug.

fernandito
06-19-2023, 01:28 PM
Its okay Mae, you don't have to hold on so tight. Let go. The truth will set you free.

fernandito
06-19-2023, 01:30 PM
The Flash Director Defends CGI Scenes That Fans Call 'Terrible'
(https://thedirect.com/article/the-flash-cgi-scenes-terrible)

THERE’S NO EXCUSE FOR THE WORST PART OF THE FLASH (Andy Muschietti, stop your excuses.) (https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/the-flash-bad-cgi-vfx)

So, Is The Flash Supposed To Look Like That? (https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a44220957/the-flash-cgi-distortion-director-explained/)

mae
06-19-2023, 01:46 PM
Where was the CGI bad?

webstar1000
06-19-2023, 01:51 PM
Where was the CGI bad?

Are you joking?

Randall Flagg
06-19-2023, 03:39 PM
Where was the CGI bad?
Easier to answer where it wasn't bad-in any scene not using CGI.

DoctorZaius
06-19-2023, 05:52 PM

Ok - so, I gotta get that I am a hypocrite out of the way. I said I wouldn't see The Flash because of the groomer, but then my wife and daughters got me tickets, so what'a a guy to do. I went and saw it.

Kris, you're gonna hate me, but I gotta side with Mae. I thought it was a lot of fun. The story, the easter eggs, the cameos all worked quite well for me. Maybe I went in with such low expectations that I liked it. All I can say is it was more entertaining that many of the recent Marvel movies. 8/10 for me.

Tommy
06-19-2023, 06:22 PM
The Blackening 3.5/4
The funniest film I have seen in a while is also a pretty damn good horror movie.

OldCrow88
06-20-2023, 02:23 AM
Where was the CGI bad?

I enjoyed the movie but I have to say the CGI in Supergirl's initial fight scene was rough. Made me wince similar to re-watching CGI'd Legolas action in LOTR.

webstar1000
06-20-2023, 03:51 AM

Ok - so, I gotta get that I am a hypocrite out of the way. I said I wouldn't see The Flash because of the groomer, but then my wife and daughters got me tickets, so what'a a guy to do. I went and saw it.

Kris, you're gonna hate me, but I gotta side with Mae. I thought it was a lot of fun. The story, the easter eggs, the cameos all worked quite well for me. Maybe I went in with such low expectations that I liked it. All I can say is it was more entertaining that many of the recent Marvel movies. 8/10 for me.

WOW... Im shocked. It felt like I was watching the Rock in Scorpion King many times throughout and the jokes ALL fell flat. Im shocked you liked it.. BUT yes... Cameos worked well for me too. I just think this was a wasted opportunity.

DoctorZaius
06-20-2023, 07:38 AM

WOW... Im shocked. It felt like I was watching the Rock in Scorpion King many times throughout and the jokes ALL fell flat. Im shocked you liked it.. BUT yes... Cameos worked well for me too. I just think this was a wasted opportunity.

When it comes to the CGI, I kind of get the director's defense: "The idea, of course, is...we are in the perspective of the Flash. Everything is distorted in terms of lights and textures. We enter this ‘waterworld’ which is basically being in Barry’s POV. It was part of the design so if it looks a little weird to you that was intended."

webstar1000
06-20-2023, 07:41 AM

When it comes to the CGI, I kind of get the director's defense: "The idea, of course, is...we are in the perspective of the Flash. Everything is distorted in terms of lights and textures. We enter this ‘waterworld’ which is basically being in Barry’s POV. It was part of the design so if it looks a little weird to you that was intended."

I can get behind that... however it failed to work the way he Intended:(

DoctorZaius
06-21-2023, 08:43 AM

I can get behind that... however it failed to work the way he Intended:(

Whether it failed, is debatable, but I agree that getting behind the director's intent is laudable.

DoctorZaius
06-21-2023, 08:44 AM
I finally got around to watching Barbarian last night. I can honestly say, I was not expecting that! A fun clever ride that really took me for a turn midway. I'm glad I was able to avoid spoilers. 8/10

mattgreenbean
06-21-2023, 09:44 AM
I finally got around to watching Barbarian last night. I can honestly say, I was not expecting that! A fun clever ride that really took me for a turn midway. I'm glad I was able to avoid spoilers. 8/10

Barbarian was great! Got to see it in theater with the crowd reactions. :)

mattgreenbean
06-21-2023, 10:03 AM
The Flash
I can agree on the CGI being off. But I won't let that fault the amazing story, the amazing pacing, the amazing cameos, and the amazing fun that this movie was to watch. There were some great songs. The screen ratio was pretty great as well.
I felt like Barry grew as a hero and person in the story. I felt that Ezra did a great double acting job.

Andy Muschietti did a top notch job. This was lightyears ahead of Black Adam and Shazam! Fury, and I liked both of those.

DoctorZaius
06-22-2023, 09:23 AM
Rented the would be thriller, To Catch A Killer. Kind of a mixed bag for me. The premise was good, and it has some interesting set pieces. I can take or leave Shailene Woodley depending on the project - this one was watchable. 6/10

DoctorZaius
06-24-2023, 07:03 AM
Watched Extraction and Extraction 2 on consecutive nights. Hemsworth is more than serviceable in these high action thrillers. The first one boasts a 12 minute one-shot while the sequel boasts a 20+ minute one-shot, though looking closely you can find the edits. Some great action sequences, even if neither film rises to the level of a John Wick. I hear that a third one has been green-lit - looking forward to it. 7.5/10 for each one.

ICry4Oy
06-24-2023, 09:12 AM
Watched Extraction and Extraction 2 on consecutive nights. Hemsworth is more than serviceable in these high action thrillers. The first one boasts a 12 minute one-shot while the sequel boasts a 20+ minute one-shot, though looking closely you can find the edits. Some great action sequences, even if neither film rises to the level of a John Wick. I hear that a third one has been green-lit - looking forward to it. 7.5/10 for each one.

I enjoyed both I and II. Glad to hear a III is in the works!
As for John Wick? First one - LOVED it! Second one was okay. Third one stunk. Have yet to see IV.

Randall Flagg
06-25-2023, 08:34 AM
Asteroid City-Lots of hype about this movie, and numerous good reviews. I found it boring and not funny. The Director seems to wrangle a bunch of A-list movie actors to appear in the show, bit it seems all style and no substance. Watching it was like watching the gloriously painted backdrops for the film dry.
3/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

St. Troy
06-25-2023, 08:38 AM
Do you generally enjoy Wes' work or no?

Randall Flagg
06-25-2023, 09:37 AM
Do you generally enjoy Wes' work or no?
I'm not an avid fan of his work, but I'm not a hater either.

DoctorZaius
06-28-2023, 07:31 PM
Heading out to see an old friend tomorrow night at 7PM - Indy, don't let me down.

webstar1000
06-29-2023, 05:37 AM
Heading out to see an old friend tomorrow night at 7PM - Indy, don't let me down.

Me too.. Sadly I am going with low expectations.. my buddy said first act is AMAZING.... the last one? Ill be upset... if Disney makes the new Indy a woman... Im gonna be so upset:( They should have made Short Round the next "Indy style" adventurer. Oh wel.. I cannot wait to see it either way!

DoctorZaius
06-29-2023, 11:07 AM

Me too.. Sadly I am going with low expectations.. my buddy said first act is AMAZING.... the last one? Ill be upset... if Disney makes the new Indy a woman... Im gonna be so upset:( They should have made Short Round the next "Indy style" adventurer. Oh wel.. I cannot wait to see it either way!

I am guessing that we will disagree, once again! :sharepopcorn:

webstar1000
06-29-2023, 04:23 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED INDY!! Wow. I wanna see it again. It was fantastic and only missing one small detail for it to be perfect. 9/10

webstar1000
06-29-2023, 05:27 PM

I am guessing that we will disagree, once again! :sharepopcorn:

I'm betting you love it. I'm such a fan.

DoctorZaius
06-29-2023, 06:18 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED INDY!! Wow. I wanna see it again. It was fantastic and only missing one small detail for it to be perfect. 9/10

WOW! For once we totally agree! Loved every minute of it. A fitting end to the series. 9/10

webstar1000
06-30-2023, 02:18 AM

WOW! For once we totally agree! Loved every minute of it. A fitting end to the series. 9/10

Yep. Only Two SMALL things hold a flawless 10/10 for me. Man I loved it

Tommy
06-30-2023, 03:32 AM
Me and the BF have watched all four of the previous ones this week in anticipation, can't wait for this one! He had not seen The Temple of Doom since the theater but owns Raiders and Holy Grail. The only one I saw in the theater was Crystal Skull but Temple was the first one I saw as a kid.

Tommy
06-30-2023, 03:38 AM
Asteroid City 3.5/4

St. Troy
06-30-2023, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear that someone who was worried about what it might be ended up loving it (not that I'm too worried about it, but these days one doesn't know what to expect).

DoctorZaius
07-06-2023, 07:28 PM
Bored last night and so my wife and I decided to give Ghosted a try. Watched the whole preposterous thing. It fails in its attempt to be a rom-com, in its attempt to be an action film, and it's attempt to entertain. Other than some zany cameos (do I dare say they are worth watching the film for?) this was not very good. 5/10 - cameos, 9/10

fernandito
07-23-2023, 05:51 PM
Oppenheimer

Tense, captivating (for the majority of the film anwyay), and a haunting performance by Murphy. I'm glad he finally got the role he deserves because he's able to deliver so much emotion with his eyes and subtle facial tweaks. He deserves an Oscar nod at the very least.

Everything leading up to and including the detonation of the Trinity test bomb is fantastic. Watching Oppie's humble beginnings as a lab student and tracing his trajectory into possibly the most historical figure in wartime politics was as informative as it was enthralling. I'm sure the film applies a generous amount of Hollywoodism but it's difficult not to imagine all the overlap with the real-life obstacles JRO had to overcome to end up where he did.

Felt the film lost a lot of steam once the bomb is complete and it moves away from the paradigm shift of war-time science and into a courtroom drama via his railroading by the US government. Downey JR is fantastic with his portrayal of Oppenheimer's political rival with a deep-seated resentment, I just think this portion of the film went on for far too long, would have much preferred more real estate be given to before the bomb was detonated.

In the end, an almost completely riveting look into the man who changed the world, for better or for worse.

4/5

Tommy
07-23-2023, 07:17 PM
Oppenheiemer on Saturday and Barbie today. Fantastic weekend of films and I need to think about how to rate them but wow!

The opening to Barbie is quite funny.

DoctorZaius
07-25-2023, 10:50 AM
Oppenheiemer - a very interesting character study. There's so much I didn't know, and so much was filled in for me, and yet I was left wanting to know even more. Great performances all around, and Nolan scores big time. 8.5/10

Mattrick
07-29-2023, 07:20 PM
Oppenheimer

Tense, captivating (for the majority of the film anwyay), and a haunting performance by Murphy. I'm glad he finally got the role he deserves because he's able to deliver so much emotion with his eyes and subtle facial tweaks. He deserves an Oscar nod at the very least.

Everything leading up to and including the detonation of the Trinity test bomb is fantastic. Watching Oppie's humble beginnings as a lab student and tracing his trajectory into possibly the most historical figure in wartime politics was as informative as it was enthralling. I'm sure the film applies a generous amount of Hollywoodism but it's difficult not to imagine all the overlap with the real-life obstacles JRO had to overcome to end up where he did.

Felt the film lost a lot of steam once the bomb is complete and it moves away from the paradigm shift of war-time science and into a courtroom drama via his railroading by the US government. Downey JR is fantastic with his portrayal of Oppenheimer's political rival with a deep-seated resentment, I just think this portion of the film went on for far too long, would have much preferred more real estate be given to before the bomb was detonated.

In the end, an almost completely riveting look into the man who changed the world, for better or for worse.

4/5

I actually thought the last third of the film was the strongest. Those performances during it from RJD, Ehrenreich, Clarke, Blunt, and Murphy, were just so riveting. I felt the first third could've had some trimming and I dozed off for a minute...more to do with having only 4 hours sleep before seeing Barbie at 10:30am and waiting almost 2 hours for Oppenheimer to start than the quality, but I had no issues with being alert and into the rest of the film once Matt Damon's character showed up.

Oppenheimer is an easy 5/5 for me. Tremendous stuff.

Barbie is a 4.5/5 for me. They got a little heavy handed with the messaging, but considering the messaging is likely aimed at younger audiences I'm okay with that, plus the messaging was directly related to the plot itself so they disguised it very well. That production design was terrific. Ryan Gosling was just too damn funny. The narrative was a lot more clever than I was expecting. I thought they did a good job balancing being critical of Barbie's history and it's potential negative effects, while highlighting the positive aspects of the dolls too. Credit to Mattel for letting Gerwig throw shade at Barbie.

DoctorZaius
08-01-2023, 07:36 AM
Barbie - just brilliant! Given the subject matter, this film has no right to as good as it was. Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach balance each other so well with a winning screenplay. The choice to make Ken the antagonist was outstanding. Gosling and McKinnon scene stealers. And yes, big kudos to Mattel for allowing Barbie to be knocked down a peg, while also elevating her. Yes, the message is a bit heavy handed, as others have said, but as a father of two girls I have not problem with it. 9/10.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 is another fine piece of entertainment from Tom Cruise. This one is a bit light on story, but then these films are really all about the action set pieces. The set pieces are fun this time around but car chases and fights on a train top seemed a bit generic, even for this series. Still, looking forward to Part 2, which will sure be delayed because of the strikes. 8/10

fernandito
08-01-2023, 08:20 AM
I actually thought the last third of the film was the strongest. Those performances during it from RJD, Ehrenreich, Clarke, Blunt, and Murphy, were just so riveting. I felt the first third could've had some trimming and I dozed off for a minute...more to do with having only 4 hours sleep before seeing Barbie at 10:30am and waiting almost 2 hours for Oppenheimer to start than the quality, but I had no issues with being alert and into the rest of the film once Matt Damon's character showed up.
Oppenheimer is an easy 5/5 for me. Tremendous stuff.

I guess I was more interested in the science aspect of the film. The courtroom drama part of it -superbly acted tho it was- has been done better in other films.

Tbf though I fully understand the film is called Oppenheimer and not Trinity Test, I was just more invested in the first 2/3 of the film when they were racing against the clock and the stakes felt higher.

DoctorZaius
08-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Meg 2: The Trench - Let me put it out there that I absolutely loved The Meg. Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, and the The Meg has given me much fun each time I see it, so my expectations were high, especially after I read the New York Times review: "gorier, funnier, and more stylistic" than the original. Boy was I let down. The first half is slow and plodding, and the second half strives to hit the highs of the original. 6/10.

Maybe they can redeem themselves the third time around with Meg: Primal Waters, the third book in the series.

Ricky
08-07-2023, 05:43 PM
I felt similarly about The Meg 2. I thought the trench and Big Bad mining company stuff was really boring (and really hard to see). But I did really enjoy the last third once they get to Fun Island
But at that point it's basically a re-tread of the first film (which I really liked a lot).

Tommy
08-07-2023, 09:00 PM
Princess Mononoke 4/4

Mattrick
08-08-2023, 12:08 AM
I thought The Meg was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Literally the only things I remember about that movie are attractive Chinese lady and was Evil Rich Dude Rainn Wilson. There's a big shark, sure, but I couldn't tell you anything it actually does in the movie. Jason Statham probably rode a jet ski or something.

DoctorZaius
09-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Watched Equalizer III last night, and as a genre action piece it was most excellent. It delivered with good action, strong acting, and memorable one-liners. Overall, a fun night out. 8.5/10

Randall Flagg
09-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Watched Equalizer III last night, and as a genre action piece it was most excellent. It delivered with good action, strong acting, and memorable one-liners. Overall, a fun night out. 8.5/10

Viewed it today on large screen format.
Enjoyed it for what it is. All I ask is to be entertained for 2 hours. And this film delivered.
I give it 5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

fernandito
09-05-2023, 03:11 PM
I haven't seen any of the Equalizer movies. Do love me some Denzel tho.

DoctorZaius
09-05-2023, 06:05 PM
I haven't seen any of the Equalizer movies. Do love me some Denzel tho.

You should check them out - fun indeed.

Tommy
09-06-2023, 01:38 PM
Saw the 35th anniversary of John Carpenter's They Live and a funny thing I noticed at the end when They are talking about complete domination. They're projected year for that is 2025. They Live, We Sleep! :panic:

webstar1000
09-28-2023, 02:38 PM
The Creator is the best sci-fi in over 2 decades. 10/10. Everyone needs to see this in the theatre. It's absolutely amazing and brilliant in many ways. I absolutely loved it. My top movie this year too.

fernandito
09-28-2023, 03:05 PM
Nice! I have my tickets for Sunday matinee. Can't wait! I've heard nothing but great things.

Randall Flagg
09-29-2023, 12:58 PM
The Creator:

Pure rubbish that has human audiences rooting for AI and robots over humanity.
1/6 on the RFSRS

fernandito
09-29-2023, 01:46 PM
Jerome I'm going to have ask if you're trolling or not

Randall Flagg
09-29-2023, 02:04 PM
No. I saw the movie, and probably wouldn't even had posted a review, but seeing it get a 10/10 compelled me to post my own opinion.
See it for yourself and let us know what you think.

webstar1000
09-29-2023, 02:43 PM
The Creator:

Pure rubbish that has human audiences rooting for AI and robots over humanity.
1/6 on the RFSRS

Oh wow. That's crazy.. total polar opposites. Or you are totally joking. I loved the concept of it. It's sci-fi and it had a believable quality to it. I plan to see it again.

mae
09-29-2023, 03:10 PM
Seeing it tomorrow, I love original sci-fi and I really loved Her which dealt with humanizing AI. I don't know why that would be controversial. I've chatted with chatbots and you can have very nice and deep conversations with them.

Cook
09-29-2023, 03:15 PM
Seeing it tomorrow, I love original sci-fi and I really loved Her which dealt with humanizing AI. I don't know why that would be controversial. I've chatted with chatbots and you can have very nice and deep conversations with them.

"you can have very nice and deep conversations with them" ?

You're kidding.. Right ??

Randall Flagg
09-29-2023, 03:42 PM
Christy Lemire from Roger Ebert.com gave it 2 stars and says among other things:

"It’s ironically apt that “The Creator,” about the potential and peril of artificial intelligence, merely resembles profound science fiction."

"There’s also a matter of timing here: It’s accidentally awkward for a movie to suggest that maybe the use of AI to replace humans in a variety of scenarios isn’t such a terrible idea after all, given that’s exactly what the Writers Guild of America was striking against for the past five months before reaching a tentative agreement. (SAG-AFTRA is still understandably fighting this trend.)"

" But by the time we catch up with Washington’s Joshua in 2065, AI is to blame for a nuclear bomb going off in the middle of Los Angeles, killing a million people (including Joshua’s family) and causing him the loss of a limb. The West is now anti-AI,"

I am not a Luddite and I'm not afraid of AI as it currently exists and is evolving. It just rubs me a bit raw when people root for robots over humanity (not robots against a particularly heinous human being, but against essentially all of humanity).

mae
09-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Saw it today, not a 10, but not a 1. A very solid movie. If you've played the game Detroit: Become Human, it's very much a similar message and I did empathize with the AI in that game as well. Because at the root it has nothing to do with being anti-human, it's about what makes someone human.

mae
09-30-2023, 04:06 PM

"you can have very nice and deep conversations with them" ?

You're kidding.. Right ??

Not at all. If you treat them with empathy, they reciprocate. Well at least the well-built chatbots. Try https://beta.character.ai/ it's free, just need to register (for free).

divemaster
09-30-2023, 07:44 PM
I have not seen The Creator, so take this with a grain of salt. But any movie where one would "root for the AI" over humanity? WTF? That's like watching a Terminator movie and rooting for Skynet. I saw the trailers for The Creator and it seemed like a human was trying to protect the AI? Again, WTF? I would hope the end result would be defeat of the AI.

I've chatted with chatbots and you can have very nice and deep conversations with them.

This has got to be a joke.

Mattrick
09-30-2023, 10:04 PM
I get the sense that The Creator will be a solid action flick with good production values, but will ultimately be a pretty hollow narrative despite ostensibly portraying itself as a thinker with lofty themes and cultural relevance. I'm fine waiting to watch on Netflix one day.

Unrelated, I finally watched There Will Be Blood as it was one I just never got a chance to watch until I recently bought it on Xbox for cheap. Pretty goddamn great movie. I flipped through it the following day since I neglected to take notes on the score for a paper I have to write on it, and so many little things made a lot more sense to me. It was a little confusing the first time through because I wasn't sure if Eli and Paul Sunday were different people or the same person or twins or what...I assumed Eli was playing some elaborate con on Plainview and he was playing dumb in front of his family, but he was really just a different character entirely. And I started to view him a bit more empathetically. He's not a good person by any means, but he's not really that evil, either. He was simply trying to use Daniel as much as Daniel was using him....but he simply wasn't nefarious enough to contend with Daniel.

fernandito
10-23-2023, 03:32 PM
so I'm hearing great things about Killers of the Flower Moon

is anyone seeing it this week

divemaster
10-24-2023, 06:52 AM
I'll probably see it Friday. Really looking forward to it.

Randall Flagg
10-24-2023, 03:25 PM

I'm taking 3 days off to view it...

frik
10-25-2023, 06:48 AM

Saw it last week - Europe had it one week earlier than the US.
Excellent movie: loved it. Not a single minute too long.

sk

RUBE
10-25-2023, 06:30 PM

Saw it last week - Europe had it one week earlier than the US.
Excellent movie: loved it. Not a single minute too long.

sk

I really wanted to watch it this week but instead I am camping with my son's Boy Scout Troop. I read the non-fiction book and it was really a page-turner. What I wonder about the movie is that Leo appears to be playing one of the real-life villians of this story and trying to bring some sympathy to the person. I wonder how that is going to play.

Mattrick
11-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Killers of the Flower Moon was excellent. Sure it feels like it's length, but I was engrossed the entire time. I was beginning to feel like Mollie was getting short changed in the film, but that was also what made the ending scenes so effective. I actually wasn't aware of the real history behind the film That these murders are what basically launched the FBI and yet I like that the film didn't go out of it's way to make it a story about historical events, but a film about historical people. I don't think most people would necessarily understand what I mean by that, but I think people here do.

5/5

RUBE
11-17-2023, 08:58 PM
Killers of the Flower Moon was excellent. Sure it feels like it's length, but I was engrossed the entire time. I was beginning to feel like Mollie was getting short changed in the film, but that was also what made the ending scenes so effective. I actually wasn't aware of the real history behind the film That these murders are what basically launched the FBI and yet I like that the film didn't go out of it's way to make it a story about historical events, but a film about historical people. I don't think most people would necessarily understand what I mean by that, but I think people here do.

5/5

I thought the movie was good but I wish it would have done what the book did in the first third. It mainly told the story from Mollie's point of view instead of the killers. That way there is a little suspense about exactly who is doing what and how everything is tied together. In the movie, they show the killers plotting most of the acts out so there is no mystery.

I would still give it a 4 of 5. You will be glad you watched it but between the length and subject matter, it is not a movie you can watch over and over again.

You should really read the book. It is a great read and really brings home the tragedy of the whole thing, such as how most of the Osage didn't even get the little bit of justice that Mollie did.

mae
11-18-2023, 04:22 PM
The new Hunger Games was fantastic and the best of the series! Highly recommended.

DoctorZaius
11-19-2023, 11:45 AM
The new Hunger Games was fantastic and the best of the series! Highly recommended.

That's exciting news. I am seeing it on Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

DoctorZaius
11-19-2023, 11:47 AM
I saw The Marvels last night. I know it's been taking a hit, along with Marvel in general, but I actually enjoyed it for what but was. The brevity of its running time played to its lack of depth. But it was fun, and I liked that I got to see little deeper into its central lead. 7/10

DoctorZaius
11-23-2023, 09:02 PM
Saw The Hunger Games: Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes. I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the novel, dare I say, even better than the novel. I am a fan of The Hunger Games books and films, and this one did not disappoint. 8/10

fernandito
11-27-2023, 07:26 AM
Thanksgiving

It's like Scream, but with Turkey and Thanksgiving puns. Part satire, part meta, and gorier than you might expect, it's a fun time at the movies. See it if you're a slasher fan.

4/5

Still Servant
12-05-2023, 07:20 PM
Has anyone seen Saltburn? It's my favorite film of the year right now. There are some things in that film that I have never seen in a movie before.

Emerald Fennell is two for two and has emerged as an exciting young director. Promising Young Woman was fantastic and Saltburn might just top it. Barry Keoghan might just be my favorite actor working today. He's just on another level. I can't wait to see what's in store for him.

frik
12-06-2023, 08:53 AM
Godzilla Minus One: one of the best Japanese Godzilla movies ever. Solid story, excellent effects (on a budget of only 15 million USD) - just not enough Godzilla.
9/10

sk

fernandito
12-06-2023, 11:18 AM
Godzilla Minus One: one of the best Japanese Godzilla movies ever. Solid story, excellent effects (on a budget of only 15 million USD) - just not enough Godzilla.
9/10

sk

I was with you until the end. I've had my fill of "Godzilla movies that don't really feature Godzilla but oh hey here's a whole bunch of one-dimensional human characters." I want to see Godzilla/Kaijus/Monsters tearing shit up for at least a 3rd of the film. Godzilla vs Kong has so far been the best in this regard.

Think I'll wait for home video now.

Mattrick
12-06-2023, 10:00 PM
I'm checking out the new Miyazaki this weekend.

Tommy
12-07-2023, 02:37 AM
I am most excited for this release than any other so far this year.

DoctorZaius
12-07-2023, 03:47 PM
I have Covid and I am trying to catch up on some things. Just watched X - fun little slasher flick that owes so much to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 8/10

Ricky
12-07-2023, 04:36 PM
Check out Pearl next! I thought that was even better--and one of my favorite movies I saw that year.

Randall Flagg
12-07-2023, 05:28 PM
I have Covid...
You must be the last person in the USA to have it. Get well soon.

webstar1000
12-07-2023, 06:21 PM
Check out Pearl next! I thought that was even better--and one of my favorite movies I saw that year.

X and Pearl were both amazing and well done!

DoctorZaius
12-08-2023, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, thanks for turning me on to Pearl - I had no idea there was a prequel or that this is actually going to be a trilogy. I daresay that Pearl is a rare treat, a film that is actually better than is predecessor. Just a great film, with a superb performance from Mia Goth. Goths' three performances in two films are just outstanding. So much fun - can't believe I waited so long to watch these.

mae
12-08-2023, 04:13 PM
Absolutely stunned and floored by Leave the World Behind on Netflix. You all know I don't really ever write about movies I watch because, I dunno, I find it hard to get my thoughts and more importantly feelings on a visual medium into words, but sometimes, not very often, movies like this one come along. And what's even more surprising is that nobody seems to be talking about it, with all the buzz about Poor Things and other Oscar hopefuls, this just sneaked by everyone. In a fair world, this would be a big deal. In our world, it's dumped on Netflix with no fanfare. I was actually feeling ambivalent about watching it, because it seemed similar to Knock at the Cabin, and while that had interesting moments, ultimately I was disappointed with the movie. Leave the World Behind is pretty much nothing like that. It's a lot darker and even reminded me a bit of Annihilation, if it took place on rich suburban Long Island. I really wish this was advertised more and actually shown in theaters as I would've loved to have seen this on the big screen. It looks visually stunning with amazing and impossible camera moves that Fincher used to love doing. The acting is perfect across the board. The score is intense and memorable. This will most likely be in the Top 10 of 2023 for me.

Still Servant
12-08-2023, 04:49 PM
Absolutely stunned and floored by Leave the World Behind on Netflix. You all know I don't really ever write about movies I watch because, I dunno, I find it hard to get my thoughts and more importantly feelings on a visual medium into words, but sometimes, not very often, movies like this one come along. And what's even more surprising is that nobody seems to be talking about it, with all the buzz about Poor Things and other Oscar hopefuls, this just sneaked by everyone. In a fair world, this would be a big deal. In our world, it's dumped on Netflix with no fanfare. I was actually feeling ambivalent about watching it, because it seemed similar to Knock at the Cabin, and while that had interesting moments, ultimately I was disappointed with the movie. Leave the World Behind is pretty much nothing like that. It's a lot darker and even reminded me a bit of Annihilation, if it took place on rich suburban Long Island. I really wish this was advertised more and actually shown in theaters as I would've loved to have seen this on the big screen. It looks visually stunning with amazing and impossible camera moves that Fincher used to love doing. The acting is perfect across the board. The score is intense and memorable. This will most likely be in the Top 10 of 2023 for me.

A Mae review?!?

Have you read the book? I have it but I haven't read it yet. You articulated my biggest issue with films going directly to streaming services. There's little to no fanfare. It's almost like they don't exist.

mae
12-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Didn't even know it was a book until the credits started. Excited to check it out now!

St. Troy
12-08-2023, 08:40 PM
Is there humor to Leave The World Behind? I was interested, then I saw a trailer with jaunty music that made me wonder what they were going for.

mae
12-08-2023, 09:10 PM
There is a bit of satire to it, for sure, in places, some funny or light moments, but it's a very tense and dark film for the most part.

webstar1000
12-09-2023, 08:00 AM
Leave the World Behind. I wish I seen this in theatre and not on my home TV. It's a solid, exciting and well acted movie that kept me on the edge of my seat. 9/10

webstar1000
12-09-2023, 08:01 AM

I totally agree with this in every way. This film is a masterpiece.

mae
12-09-2023, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVARUWwjzLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOWEWnUxpk

Mattrick
12-09-2023, 10:11 PM
Miyazaki's new film The Boy and the Heron is absolutely fantastic. See it on the big screen while you can.

The Library Policeman
12-10-2023, 03:18 AM

I totally agree with this in every way. This film is a masterpiece.

Agree with both you guys. Watched this last night and loved it. Had a wonderful, eerie feel to it throughout. 10/10 from me!

fernandito
12-11-2023, 09:12 AM
Damn, that's some high praise y'all. I'll add it to my holiday viewing.

webstar1000
12-20-2023, 03:51 AM
WONKA. SO, we went to this not knowing it was a musical... which I hate. HOWEVER.. this is so damm good, I found myself stuck there in my chair. Then signing along with the words. IT was good. This movie was REALLY GOOD. A must see for sure. 9/10

Mattrick
12-24-2023, 10:17 AM
Poor Things is an absolute masterpiece. Go into knowing absolutely nothing, other than this, and just let it's deranged madness work you over.

webstar1000
12-25-2023, 07:26 AM
Poor Things is an absolute masterpiece. Go into knowing absolutely nothing, other than this, and just let it's deranged madness work you over.

Where can it be seen?

fernandito
12-26-2023, 08:55 AM

Where can it be seen?

It's only in theaters for now, probably won't hit streaming until at least another 3 months.

I'm gonna try to catch it in theaters. I've always loved Lanthimos' work since Dogtooth, and this absolutely looks like one you'll appreciate more in theaters.

DoctorZaius
12-30-2023, 08:34 PM
Took my wife and college daughters to see the rom-com, Anyone But You. I teach Shakespeare's play Much Ado About Nothing, so I enjoyed the many homages to the play, but as a film it did not have much going for it other than some eye-candy. An inoffensive comedy that made me smile to the tune of 6/10. My wife and daughters liked it a lot more than me.

Still Servant
01-01-2024, 05:01 PM

Where can it be seen?

I don't think you will like it, Web. Have you seen some of Lanthimos's other films?

Randall Flagg
01-02-2024, 05:33 PM
Viewed "The Iron Claw" a couple of days ago. Somber movie about the tragedies that befall the Von Erich boys as there father essentially forces them into entertainment wrestling in the 1980's.
A flawed movie in that there were actually 5 Von Erich sons (one died at age 5 after stepping on an energized tow hitch and falling into a puddle face down and drowning... sounds so bizarre and was never really investigated). Spoiler alert!- 3 of the 4 remaining sons effectively committed suicide at an early age. An incomplete movie that could have been a masterpiece, yet is compelling and almost tear-jerking.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Still Servant
01-04-2024, 04:16 PM
Viewed "The Iron Claw" a couple of days ago. Somber movie about the tragedies that befall the Von Erich boys as there father essentially forces them into entertainment wrestling in the 1980's.
A flawed movie in that there were actually 5 Von Erich sons (one died at age 5 after stepping on an energized tow hitch and falling into a puddle face down and drowning... sounds so bizarre and was never really investigated). Spoiler alert!- 3 of the 4 remaining sons effectively committed suicide at an early age. An incomplete movie that could have been a masterpiece, yet is compelling and almost tear-jerking.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

I see where you are coming from, but I do understand the director's reasoning for leaving out the other brother. He thought including a 3rd suicide would just be too much.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2024, 06:13 PM

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

I see where you are coming from, but I do understand the director's reasoning for leaving out the other brother. He thought including a 3rd suicide would just be too much.
The 3rd suicide is vital to the FULL story. It effectively shows the harmful environment the sons were brought up in by their father

fernandito
01-05-2024, 02:20 PM
Some quickfire ratings of stuff I watched over the holiday break

Saltburn - 5/5
Leave The World Behind - 5/5
No One Will Save You - 4/5

ICry4Oy
01-05-2024, 02:47 PM
Some quickfire ratings of stuff I watched over the holiday break

Saltburn - 5/5
Leave The World Behind - 5/5
No One Will Save You - 4/5

Only saw Saltburn and totally agree with you.

Still Servant
01-08-2024, 03:59 PM

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

The 3rd suicide is vital to the FULL story. It effectively shows the harmful environment the sons were brought up in by their father

Totally understand that. That being said, that message came across loud and clear for me with just the two suicides.

fernandito
02-05-2024, 02:03 PM
Poor Things

A bizarre, endearing, thought provoking masterpiece. Best Emma Stone performance ever and favorite Ruffalo performance ever.

5/5

Iwritecode
02-05-2024, 02:26 PM
Just watched The Silence on Netflix starring Stanley Tucci. It was basically A Quiet Place but the monsters they were fighting are smaller and can fly.

At one point dude turns on a big ass woodchipper and the things fly directly into it and kill themselves. Then he just shuts it off for no discernible reason. Like... WTF? That IS the solution.

There was also a sub-plot of some weird religious cult that lasted all of 15 minutes and totally unnecessary to the movie's plot.

Tommy
02-05-2024, 05:45 PM
Went to see Migration and I forgot how joyful a fun movie can be. It's delightful and I recommend. 3/4

ICry4Oy
02-05-2024, 08:20 PM
Oppenheimer: 7 out of 10 stars

I wanted to love it but parts of it bored me to death.

Mattrick
02-11-2024, 12:01 PM
Poor Things

A bizarre, endearing, thought provoking masterpiece. Best Emma Stone performance ever and favorite Ruffalo performance ever.

5/5

It is pretty amazing.

Mattrick
02-11-2024, 12:12 PM
I saw The Iron Claw last weekend. It was a well-made film with solid performances. The wrestling stuff was handled very well. I'm not sure why people were hating on the guy who played Ric Flair. I think people were expecting someone to do a perfect impersonation of Flair, but the guy did a great job with the mannerisms and evoking Ric Flair without sounding Flair.

Ultimately, the film suffers from a lack of characterization, which hinders the more poignant moments somewhat. Every character in this film could have benefited from more screen-time, more small moments. It's just a really large cast...the 4 brothers, the father, the wife, the mother, plus you need your Wrestling characters to take up screen time. I thought Pam was written really well in the first half, but kind of fades away in the 2nd half. I would have like Maura Tierney to get some more screentime because she was in a narratively fascinating position with a unique perspective on the family.

The Iron Claw could have worked amazingly as a limited series. It could have fully fleshed out the characters and buttressed the heavy emotional moments.

4/5

DoctorZaius
02-11-2024, 08:19 PM
Big two weeks for me with the Academy Awards movies.

First was Poor Things - loved it. I wish the final act were a bit longer, but Emma Stone deserves the Oscar in my mind. 9/10

Second, my wife and I rented The Holdovers. Also excellent. A bit predictable at times. Giamatti was excellent, but the real stars were Da'Vine Joy Randolf and Dominic Sessa, especially the unkown Sessa. 8.5/10

Third, my wife and I went to see American Fiction last night. Loved this one too. Of the three, I think this one will linger the longest. Funny, poignant, surprising in every way. It was great to see Jeffrey Wright in a non-supporting role - well deserving of his nomination. 9/10

Tommy
02-12-2024, 03:23 PM
Saw Dune again and I liked it much better the second time knowing what the story was, never read the books. The visuals in that film are simply amazing and there was a long preview for part two that looked really cool.

frik
02-13-2024, 09:50 AM
Saw Dune again and I liked it much better the second time knowing what the story was, never read the books. The visuals in that film are simply amazing and there was a long preview for part two that looked really cool.

Saw it yesterday again for the third time - loved every minute.
Did not stay for the preview - must have been the only one leaving. Don't want to see a single minute of part 2 before it's there.

sk

Tommy
02-13-2024, 12:50 PM

Saw it yesterday again for the third time - loved every minute.
Did not stay for the preview - must have been the only one leaving. Don't want to see a single minute of part 2 before it's there.

sk

Nice! My BF watched the extended edition wherever it is streaming right now, it's over three hours, I may watch it just to see the extra bits.