PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45

mae
07-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Never too early to start on the 2020s tournament :lol1:

fernandito
07-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Haha, true that!

Still Servant
07-14-2020, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised you guys aren't enjoying Palm Springs more.

DoctorZaius
07-14-2020, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised you guys aren't enjoying Palm Springs more.

I like Palm Springs a lot better now! I just watched 47 Meters Down: Uncaged. What a load of crap. 3/10

Ricky
07-15-2020, 06:30 AM
I just watched 47 Meters Down: Uncaged. What a load of crap. 3/10

I watched this recently also. I wasn't expecting much, just a mindless shark movie, and that's what it is. It's not great by any means. The dialogue was awful, the CGI sharks weren't great, the whole plot of the movie was a little silly.

My favorite line in the whole movie was right before they go cave diving and one of the girls goes, "Guys, cave diving is dangerous!" And that's why they deserve to get eaten. :lol:

Heather19
07-15-2020, 07:11 AM
...sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.

Absolutely, but be warned - it is probably the most violent film you'll see this side of Ichi The Killer.

Feev, will I like it? It's been on my list forever, but now I'm a little worried since you mentioned Ichi the Killer.

Still Servant
07-15-2020, 09:34 AM
...sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.

Absolutely, but be warned - it is probably the most violent film you'll see this side of Ichi The Killer.

Feev, will I like it? It's been on my list forever, but now I'm a little worried since you mentioned Ichi the Killer.

I still have The Nightingale on my mind. They are both brutal revenge films. If highly violent scenes aren't your thing, I would pass. This violence is especially perpetuated against women, so it's really hard to watch, but it's a great film.

fernandito
07-15-2020, 09:50 AM
@Heater it's a fantastic film with some tantalizing cat-and-mouse trappings, but yes it's extremely violent. The killer in the film targets women so if that's hard for you to watch, you might reconsider.

webstar1000
07-19-2020, 06:55 AM
Incendies... Denis V Is one hell of a director. I absolutely loved this film. I couldn’t take
My eyes off it. 9.5/10. Virtually flawless.... if you have not seen this.... you need to.

mae
07-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Incendies... Denis V Is one hell of a director. I absolutely loved this film. I couldn’t take
My eyes off it. 9.5/10. Virtually flawless.... if you have not seen this.... you need to.

Agreed. Every single film he's made is at least very good. Check out the rest of his stuff. His earlier movies like Incendies are no less engaging than the later well-known stuff like Arrival or Sicario. For example, Polytechnique is extremely tense, it's about a real-life school shooting in Canada, filmed in stark black and white. It's streaming on Prime. Unfortunately, it wasn't seconded during our 2000s tournament but I nominated it :) And I also nominated his debut feature August 32nd on Earth during our 1990s tournament, that one is a smaller film, but you can already see his unique vision. That one, sadly, doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere now.

Mattrick
07-19-2020, 11:47 AM
I'll be renting The Nightingale on my Xbox and watching it up north when I visit my mom.

Still Servant
07-19-2020, 12:33 PM
I'll be renting The Nightingale on my Xbox and watching it up north when I visit my mom.

I'm unnaturally excited for you to watch this one.

Jean
07-21-2020, 10:34 PM
The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Perks is one of my favourite movies ever. It’s easily a top 5 for me. Same goes for the novel. Glad you enjoyed it. And sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.
...and every time I come to this thread my to-watch list grows...

mae
07-22-2020, 04:22 AM
Jean! I hope you can take part in the voting process of our upcoming 2010s tournament (starting this Monday), after you missed nominations!

Jean
07-22-2020, 10:27 PM
mae http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/561f3907/30324126_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/561f390730324126.html), I really really hope so! Too much is happening, both inside and outside bears' head, can't keep track of any events, but will certainly do my best to dig my paws here as deep as I can this time

webstar1000
07-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Today was my first day back to the movies.... OHH HOW IVE MISSED YOU! We seen “Target Number One” and it was amazing. First post Covid release
And what a wonderful story. A true story from the 80’s sooooo relevant today with corrupt cops.
I cannot believe what I seen... another Denis V. Coming out of Canada!! 8.5/10.

AMAZING story telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean
07-24-2020, 11:30 PM
Today was my first day back to the movies....
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804898/157a91f0/30324167_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/157a91f030324167.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804898/157a91f0/30324167_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/157a91f030324167.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804898/157a91f0/30324167_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/157a91f030324167.html)

Still Servant
07-25-2020, 06:18 AM
another Denis V. Coming out of Canada!! 8.5/10.

Easy now. That's a big name right there.

EDIT: It seems as though the film Web is referring to is also going by the name Most Wanted.

Randall Flagg
07-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Congrats Kris. We (SF Bay Area) are a ways off from theaters opening.

webstar1000
07-26-2020, 03:04 AM

EDIT: It seems as though the film Web is referring to is also going by the name Most Wanted.

Yeah I seen that. Crazy... wonder why it’s different here? Man it was a well done movie. Maybe cause I was so happy to be back to a theatre too. Haha

Still Servant
07-26-2020, 10:49 AM

Yeah I seen that. Crazy... wonder why it’s different here? Man it was a well done movie. Maybe cause I was so happy to be back to a theatre too. Haha

I'm sure that played a part. It's only natural. The trailer looks good and it's interesting to see Josh Hartnett again.

webstar1000
07-26-2020, 10:56 AM

I'm sure that played a part. It's only natural. The trailer looks good and it's interesting to see Josh Hartnett again.

I felt the real stand out was the unknown kid that played the framed drug dealer. He was awesome! And Josh was good to... I always liked him. And Lucky number Slevin I loved where he was great in.

fernandito
07-27-2020, 08:19 AM
I rewatched Spotlight last night- only saw it in theaters - just to refresh my memory and get a better feel for how far it needs to go in the tournament. My assessment: pretty fucking far.

A powerful, important film about failed systems and the dangers of perpetuating secrets. If you haven't seen it, you need to. It's on Netflix.

Still Servant
07-27-2020, 04:03 PM
Spotlight is that rare, timeless film. It's super timely, really mainstream and really good. That is a combination of 3 things that are hard to find sometimes.

St. Troy
07-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Not that it's new to me, but lately I've been seeing bits of The Wedding Singer on a regular basis (thank you, Freeform channel!).

Something curious that I've noticed the last two times I watched it: when Glenn asks Julia (Drew Barrymore) to order him a Heineken the next time she has a chance, Freeform blanks out the word "Heineken." Why? Is beer a big deal these days? Seems odd.

Here's the original clip (unchanged, except for the addition of something else at the end for humor purposes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCBPnQK1i2U

webstar1000
07-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Not that it's new to me, but lately I've been seeing bits of The Wedding Singer on a regular basis (thank you, Freeform channel!).

Something curious that I've noticed the last two times I watched it: when Glenn asks Julia (Drew Barrymore) to order him a Heineken the next time she has a chance, Freeform blanks out the word "Heineken." Why? Is beer a big deal these days? Seems odd.

Here's the original clip (unchanged, except for the addition of something else at the end for humor purposes):

Funny when I took Radip & TV Broadcasting as a post secondary education.... at the time in Canada the CRTC would NOT let you say beer on air. You couldn't say any booze or nothing related to it! BIG FINES if so....

fernandito
07-29-2020, 08:25 AM
You Were Never Really Here - 4.5/5

RUBE
07-29-2020, 10:32 AM

Funny when I took Radip & TV Broadcasting as a post secondary education.... at the time in Canada the CRTC would NOT let you say beer on air. You couldn't say any booze or nothing related to it! BIG FINES if so....

Maybe they have to pay Henieken every time and they decided not to do that anymore?

webstar1000
07-29-2020, 10:52 AM
I watched an oldie last night that popped up. Anyone seen Boy Wonder? It was a 2010 movie about a young vigilante and I looked it up and cause an old Ebert Review which praised it... so I watched it and it was really good! VERY dark... 7/10

Mattrick
07-29-2020, 07:58 PM
Rewatched a few movies with the family this week...1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Your Name,all of which I love. Me and my brother tried to watch Beverly Hills Ninja while we played crib in the cabin. When we finally tapped out and shut it 9off, I was amazed to discover we were only 22 minutes into three movie...it felt like an hour.

webstar1000
07-30-2020, 03:42 PM
I decided to give Handmaiden a shot. Parasite was MUCH better. Someone compared them.... This movie was a total drag from me. 4/10.

Heather19
07-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Funny I just watched that one last night and absolutely loved it. I think I enjoyed it more than Parasite. We really are opposites on film :lol:

webstar1000
07-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Funny I just watched that one last night and absolutely loved it. I think I enjoyed it more than Parasite. We really are opposites on film :lol:

Total polar opposites.
But we will always have A Quiet Place:)

Heather19
07-30-2020, 05:10 PM
Yes :)

Still Servant
07-30-2020, 05:27 PM
Everybody loves A Quiet Place!

fernandito
07-31-2020, 08:34 AM
I decided to give Handmaiden a shot. Parasite was MUCH better. Someone compared them.... This movie was a total drag from me. 4/10.

You should have consulted us first, we all know that movie's not for you lol.

webstar1000
07-31-2020, 08:54 AM

I REALLY tried. I liked Parasite a lot... this was just silly to me. Was not a fan. no. lol

webstar1000
07-31-2020, 02:49 PM
I was a week early for my movie tonight so caught Gravity... what a visceral portrayal if space. Forgot
How much I loved it. 9/10.

ALSO: I finished a show just now called Little Fires Everywhere. It was so powerful. It’s on Prime. Watch it!

Still Servant
07-31-2020, 06:09 PM

I REALLY tried. I liked Parasite a lot... this was just silly to me. Was not a fan. no. lol

I feel like Parasite is more of a mainstream film.

Kongo
08-01-2020, 08:41 AM
I was a week early for my movie tonight so caught Gravity... what a visceral portrayal if space. Forgot
How much I loved it. 9/10.

ALSO: I finished a show just now called Little Fires Everywhere. It was so powerful. It’s on Prime. Watch it!

I worked as a protectionist when Gravity came out, and got to screen the movie in 3D with the motion chairs all to myself. It was such an awesome experience.

Randall Flagg
08-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Did you guard the movie with your life?

Ricky
08-03-2020, 09:43 AM
My first proper review in nine months? Yikes! Here's my review for Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (https://reviewsfromthecouch.wordpress.com/2020/08/03/eurovision-song-contest-the-story-of-fire-saga/).

St. Troy
08-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Doctor Sleep

A very, very good movie, better than I'd expected.

Fine as an adaptation; the significant changes were warranted by the need to connect to the Kubrick attempt.

mae
08-03-2020, 11:51 AM
I enjoyed it and all the little ties to Kubrick's Shining. There is a director's cut that's 30 minutes longer, it's on HBO Max.

Heather19
08-03-2020, 01:27 PM
I've been dying to watch the director's cut. Also this is one of the rare instances where I actually enjoyed the movie immensely more than the book.

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Upgrade is on Netflix... HAD to watch it again. DAMM I love this move and the ending. Everything! 9.5/10! I demand a sequel !!

Randall Flagg
08-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Upgrade is on Netflix... HAD to watch it again. DAMM I love this move and the ending. Everything! 9.5/10! I demand a sequel !!

They will fuck up a sequel.

Suggestions as to a basic plot?

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 05:17 PM

They will fuck up a sequel.

Suggestions as to a basic plot?

They got funding I heard. And I can’t even guess!

Randall Flagg
08-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Stem allows Grey to return to a "real" conscience. As sad and depressing as the return to reality is, Grey ends up teamed with the detective Pamela to use his unique abilities to solve crimes.

webstar1000
08-04-2020, 05:23 PM
Stem allows Grey to return to a "real" conscience. As sad and depressing as the return to reality is, Grey ends up teamed with the detective Pamela to use his unique abilities to solve crimes.

Interesting idea!

St. Troy
08-04-2020, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed it and all the little ties to Kubrick's Shining. There is a director's cut that's 30 minutes longer, it's on HBO Max.

Hmm. Most interesting.

fernandito
08-05-2020, 06:52 AM

Oh shit for real!? Imma watch again this weekend. Damn what a good movie.

webstar1000
08-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Like everything about it. This movie should HAVE been released any other time than during the Avengers run. It would have such a larger audience!!!!! It got buried.

Heather19
08-05-2020, 08:18 AM

I went to look for it last night but couldn't find it :( Might just be in Canada. I was hoping to catch it before voting, but doesn't look like I'll be able to.

DoctorZaius
08-09-2020, 12:04 PM
I finally got around to watching the latest version of Pet Sematary. I kinda liked some of the changes they made, especially swapping Gage's death for Ellie's - the way the scene was filmed offered me a real surprise, which I did not expect. I also liked the ending, which is really disturbing, and so much different than the book. Overall, though, it was pretty average. 7/10

fernandito
08-09-2020, 07:11 PM

I went to look for it last night but couldn't find it :( Might just be in Canada. I was hoping to catch it before voting, but doesn't look like I'll be able to.

All imma say is, it's very worth the $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime!

webstar1000
08-10-2020, 03:51 AM

All imma say is, it's very worth the $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime!

WELL WORTH IT.

DoctorZaius
08-23-2020, 08:18 PM
I finally got the chance to watch Midsommar last night. I really enjoyed how it unfolded. Having watched Hereditary, I had hoped for more. 7/10

Still Servant
08-24-2020, 02:14 PM
I watched The King yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I have to say, it's a shame a movie like that got lost in the shuffle of 2019. I feel that tends to happen with some Netflix films. I'm not saying that doesn't happen to theatrical films too, but I just think it's easier to generate buzz when a film is released in theaters as opposed to dropping on Netflix.

Either way, The King is worth a watch if you're into historical epics. Timothée Chalamet is proving to be one of the very best young actors working today and Joel Edgerton is quality as usual.

St. Troy
08-26-2020, 07:15 AM
I recently saw:

Motherless Brooklyn - wow, what a great movie. Excellent cast, excellent story, well done all around.

A Happening Of Monumental Proportions - weird indy movie, interesting cast, nice story, pretty cool.

Jojo Rabbit - very good, was much more than I expected (emotions? what???).

The Shining (Kubrick) - sure, I've seen it before, but this was my first full viewing in a looooong time, and it was worse than I'd remembered. I've always considered it a great horror movie taken on its own while still being abominable as an adaptation, but things seemed even thinner this time around. It's not just that Jack at no point seems to like (let alone love) Wendy or Danny, but at no point does Danny seem like a regular kid (he never has fun, etc.), only Wendy cracks a smile, and even then, she's trying to buck up her catatonic roommates. The movie also seemed to go very thin for a long time on the Overlook's supernatural nature; you could almost accept that Jack's mental deterioration drove events. It also feels as if Jack (not Danny) is the Overlook's main target, especially given the ending. None of this should've come as a surprise to someone who has seen it before, of course; perhaps it is clearer than ever to me because I re-read The Shining only last month. Also, not that it's a huge deal, but...my God do I hate the Tony-finger. Just awful.

More than ever, I prefer the TV miniseries. :shrug:

Still Servant
08-26-2020, 02:08 PM
I recently saw:

Motherless Brooklyn - wow, what a great movie. Excellent cast, excellent story, well done all around.

I'm so glad you highlighted Motherless Brooklyn. I feel like it's another film that got lost in the shuffle of late 2019 releases. I wanted to see it in theaters, but it got such a limited release it just didn't happen. I really need to track it down. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Heather19
08-26-2020, 04:05 PM
It's on HBO max. I've had it in my list to watch. I'll have to try to get to it soon.

Still Servant
08-26-2020, 04:49 PM
It's on HBO max. I've had it in my list to watch. I'll have to try to get to it soon.

It is?! Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Garrell
08-27-2020, 04:53 AM
Get Out - fun and very enjoyable, so much better than Us. The excitment for Us makes sense now.

webstar1000
08-27-2020, 02:56 PM
TENET TENET TENET. A fucking masterpiece in how to make a film. Nolan is a master of this craft. His use of story, sound editing and just scene after scene of amazing visuals. Yes hard to follow and you will learn more every time you see it but fuck yes. The first 15 mins felt like the first 15 when I seen Saving Private Ryan. Wow. And the ending....... 10/10 for me. One of my all time fav Nolan’s. If not my fav.

Ricky
08-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Sounds like someone's on a liiiiiitle bit of a just-got-out-of-seeing-it high. :lol:

webstar1000
08-27-2020, 05:05 PM
Sounds like someone's on a liiiiiitle bit of a just-got-out-of-seeing-it high. :lol:

You see it and let me know if you feel
The same. It’s amazing. I’ll report second viewing see how I think then.

Ricky
08-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Man, I wish I could. Theaters still not permitted to open here in MD. :(

Garrell
08-27-2020, 06:39 PM
Here in Indy either

fernandito
08-28-2020, 08:33 AM
TENET TENET TENET. A fucking masterpiece in how to make a film. Nolan is a master of this craft. His use of story, sound editing and just scene after scene of amazing visuals. Yes hard to follow and you will learn more every time you see it but fuck yes. The first 15 mins felt like the first 15 when I seen Saving Private Ryan. Wow. And the ending....... 10/10 for me. One of my all time fav Nolan’s. If not my fav.

Yeahhhh when it comes to Web and Mike, you have to adjust for hype inflation :lol:. (sorry guys you know I love you! :))

Nevertheless, I'm sure it's still a great Nolan film. I might not get a chance to see it in 2020 but I can't see my enthusiasm for it dying down. If anything it's going to continue to build.

webstar1000
08-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Yeahhhh when it comes to Web and Mike, you have to adjust for hype inflation :lol:. (sorry guys you know I love you! :))

Nevertheless, I'm sure it's still a great Nolan film. I might not get a chance to see it in 2020 but I can't see my enthusiasm for it dying down. If anything it's going to continue to build.

My buddy and I got tickets for Tuesday and I’m going again Sunday with my wife. You cannot just see this once. I have a pad I’m writing down things I wanna watch for to figure out. It’s a puzzle that I got a good portion of but so much more and the ending! Dammm. It’s in my top 5 of all time movies. That is a big deal to me. Yes I’m a type man.... but you will see that this movie deserves it.

fernandito
08-28-2020, 08:39 AM
I'm sure it's just a matter of time until someone puts something like this out for Tenet like they did with Inception. Scope it (I put it in spoilers cuz it's a big ass image)

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/inception_timeline_image_01.jpg

webstar1000
08-28-2020, 08:44 AM
I'm sure it's just a matter of time until someone puts something like this out for Tenet like they did with Inception. Scope it (I put it in spoilers cuz it's a big ass image)

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/inception_timeline_image_01.jpg

brilliant. But I had zero issue with Inception and knowing what was going on. I really don't with Tenet either BUT there is more (FAR more) to uncover with multiple viewings. So much was eye opening but there were times my buddy jumped and was like " HOLY FUCK! YOU SEE THAT?" I missed it.... same with me... I did that one HUGE time.. and he didn't get it. I told him then he had a huge delayed jump! Whoever wrote this (was it nolan?) is a genius. They really are... it is the most believable time travel story I have ever seen.

EDIT: I really really WISH some others here could see it so I could hear thier thoughts.

MikeDuke
08-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Mae, did you watch both versions. Is the directors cut "better" then the theater cut. Or anybody else who has seen both can chime in as well.

Still Servant
08-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Hey, I'm not that bad! Web gave the same score to Polar after he watched it last year! :lol:

webstar1000
08-28-2020, 05:19 PM

Hey, I'm not that bad! Web gave the same score to Polar after he watched it last year! :lol:

No I didn’t come on now man! Lol. I’m not saying another word to you guys about Tenet. I KNOW your gonna love it. Even today I’ve talked about it to my pals that seen it all day. The ones that were not happy? I told them a few “ideas” or “this is what was going on” and now they wanna go back so are coming Tuesday with us. 😂

Aremag
08-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Just watched Bill & Ted Face The Music and I thought it was fun and a most excellent addition to the other two. I give it 4 Strange Things Are Afoot At The Circle K(s).

Kuldon
08-29-2020, 01:41 AM

It's on my list to watch this weekend :drool: Hope that I will have same emotions like you after I finish watching it

Still Servant
08-29-2020, 02:00 PM

No I didn’t come on now man! Lol. I’m not saying another word to you guys about Tenet. I KNOW your gonna love it. Even today I’ve talked about it to my pals that seen it all day. The ones that were not happy? I told them a few “ideas” or “this is what was going on” and now they wanna go back so are coming Tuesday with us. 😂

Hmmm :lol:

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10359-Rate-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw.&p=1135399&viewfull=1#post1135399

Jean
08-29-2020, 11:42 PM
Get Out - fun and very enjoyable, so much better than Us.I feel the same way about them. Us is good, but rather monotonous, lazy in terms of screenwriting, especially comparing with Get Out

allasorte
08-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Funny Mike. I love it!

fernandito
09-02-2020, 12:29 PM
*anxiously awaiting Mike's Tenet review*

Ricky
09-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that's what I came in here expecting. :lol:

Also, MD theaters got the OK to open this Friday.

fernandito
09-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Also it's ironic and sad that pretty much every city in the nation is opening the doors to its theaters except Hollywood, which is the movie capital of the world. :mad:

Randall Flagg
09-02-2020, 03:57 PM
None opening in the entire San Francisco Bay Area. 9 counties, over 8 million people. I feel your pain.

mae
09-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Theaters still closed in NY and NJ.

Still Servant
09-02-2020, 04:37 PM

One word - Tenet

First, let me say I didn't want to come here right after leaving the theater. I'm clearly known for having post-movie highs. Plus, this situation was on another level, not just because the film was a one-of-a-kind movie experience, but because it was literally the first film I had seen in a movie theater since March.

I had goosebumps walking into the building, goosebumps walking into the theater, goosebumps when the trailers started. When the Warner Bros logo came up. Guess what? More goosebumps. It was amazing and at that point, it didn't matter what film I was seeing. It was just going to be special no matter what.

That being said, my, oh my what a film. I can't give it a perfect score like Web. It needs to be seen a second time for that to happen and the film begs for that. Honestly, Christopher Nolan is operating on another level right now. For a mainstream audience to be graced with a concept like that on the big screen is simply unheard of.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the film. The best way to go into a film like this is knowing as little as possible. I will say that as long as you get the gist of the concept, you won't have any problem enjoying the film. Now, if you really want to "get" the full concept, that is going to require multiple viewings.

I do have a few issues. One is kind of a big one that seems to plague some Nolan films and that's the fact that the dialogue can be hard to understand sometimes. I did see it in IMAX so the sound was crazy loud. Speaking of sound, Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther, Creed) does a phenomenal job of standing in for Hans Zimmer. My other issue is that the main character isn't really fleshed out too much. He's not even given a name, just going by Protagonist.

For me, this was the perfect film to return to theaters to see. Tenet is why we go to the movies. Tenet is why I love film. Period.

webstar1000
09-02-2020, 05:17 PM
I had tickets for last night but moved to tonight. See this a second time. It’s a must. So much more to see here. And my perfect score stands. I want to see it again. There is some guy I read online that’s seen it 50 time’s so far. I can see why. Lol. I just seen you dialogue issue and I had the same the first time but it wasn’t enough to bother me. I picked up a lot more this time. I will see it again... still my favourite movie of the last 10+ years. Love love love it.

divemaster
09-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Films that affect me like what you guys have experienced here for Tenet are few and far between. Movies you can't wait to go back to the theater to see over and over again. For me, I can say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon affected me that way. It literally changed my life. Pulp Fiction affected me that way. Mulholland Dr. did as well. So did Raiders of the Lost Ark, which might not count, but I was 13 when it came out so how could it not?

I get the feeling Tenet will be the same. I like Nolan, and movies with layers. I don't mind trying to unlock the secrets of a movie on multiple viewings as long as the director is playing fair and not just yanking my chain.

I don't know anything about the plot of Tenet and will try to keep it that way. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be allowed to go to the movie theater any time soon, so the DVD will be a high priority purchase for me. Hopefully with a lot of bonus features and stuff like the Memento DVD had.

Heather19
09-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Do you guys think they'll release Tenet to rent online anytime soon, like what they did with The Invisible Man? There's so many places where theaters aren't open yet, and even where they are there's still many people that aren't comfortable going to a movie theater. I'm kinda surprised the film didn't get pushed back till next year like a lot of them have.

And speaking of The Invisible Man, I finally saw it. I really enjoyed it, but I was hoping for something a bit scarier, or more tense.

Pere Jere
09-03-2020, 11:53 AM
I’d be more open to renting online if it was cheaper than $20. I just don’t understand that price point when I had the AMC pass where I could see 12 movies a month in the theater for $25.

fernandito
09-03-2020, 12:55 PM
And speaking of The Invisible Man, I finally saw it. I really enjoyed it, but I was hoping for something a bit scarier, or more tense.

That's a movie that loses 75% effectiveness if you don't watch it in theaters. In theaters it's plenty tense with the atmosphere and sound system booming musical counterpoints into your ears.

You don't get that at home with your barking dogs, cellphone going off, and significant other asking you what you want to eat for dinner. :lol:

Heather19
09-03-2020, 02:05 PM

That's a movie that loses 75% effectiveness if you don't watch it in theaters. In theaters it's plenty tense with the atmosphere and sound system booming musical counterpoints into your ears.

You don't get that at home with your barking dogs, cellphone going off, and significant other asking you what you want to eat for dinner. :lol:

:lol: Very true.

I guess I wish they postponed it till the pandemic is over. I won't be heading to the theater anytime soon. I wonder how much money they'll loose by releasing it now. It'd be nice if these films that are getting released amid the pandemic will get a second life on the big screen later on.

Ricky
09-03-2020, 02:05 PM

I missed The Invisible Man earlier, but it's so close to Halloween season now that I thought I'd just save it as an October viewing. Bummer that it wasn't too scary, though. I guess it's more of a psychological thriller?

fernandito
09-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Yes, more of a psychological thriller. There are some truly thrilling sequences there, and even smaller, quieter moments that give you dread simply because that guy could be anywhere, anytime. There is literally a scene where she's just staring at a doorway with the camera lingering, and it's one of the most tense sequences I've ever experienced in a theater :lol:

fernandito
09-03-2020, 02:16 PM

One word - Tenet

First, let me say I didn't want to come here right after leaving the theater. I'm clearly known for having post-movie highs. Plus, this situation was on another level, not just because the film was a one-of-a-kind movie experience, but because it was literally the first film I had seen in a movie theater since March.

I had goosebumps walking into the building, goosebumps walking into the theater, goosebumps when the trailers started. When the Warner Bros logo came up. Guess what? More goosebumps. It was amazing and at that point, it didn't matter what film I was seeing. It was just going to be special no matter what.

That being said, my, oh my what a film. I can't give it a perfect score like Web. It needs to be seen a second time for that to happen and the film begs for that. Honestly, Christopher Nolan is operating on another level right now. For a mainstream audience to be graced with a concept like that on the big screen is simply unheard of.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the film. The best way to go into a film like this is knowing as little as possible. I will say that as long as you get the gist of the concept, you won't have any problem enjoying the film. Now, if you really want to "get" the full concept, that is going to require multiple viewings.

I do have a few issues. One is kind of a big one that seems to plague some Nolan films and that's the fact that the dialogue can be hard to understand sometimes. I did see it in IMAX so the sound was crazy loud. Speaking of sound, Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther, Creed) does a phenomenal job of standing in for Hans Zimmer. My other issue is that the main character isn't really fleshed out too much. He's not even given a name, just going by Protagonist.

For me, this was the perfect film to return to theaters to see. Tenet is why we go to the movies. Tenet is why I love film. Period.

Excellent review my boy. I have no doubt that this film is going to require multiple viewings to 'get', but even that initial thrill of confusion is part of the experience.

Stupid California and our stupid not having Covid under control :(

Randall Flagg
09-03-2020, 06:22 PM

Dead on. Pos rep coming tour way.

Still Servant
09-04-2020, 04:23 AM
Films that affect me like what you guys have experienced here for Tenet are few and far between. Movies you can't wait to go back to the theater to see over and over again. For me, I can say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon affected me that way. It literally changed my life. Pulp Fiction affected me that way. Mulholland Dr. did as well. So did Raiders of the Lost Ark, which might not count, but I was 13 when it came out so how could it not?

I get the feeling Tenet will be the same. I like Nolan, and movies with layers. I don't mind trying to unlock the secrets of a movie on multiple viewings as long as the director is playing fair and not just yanking my chain.

I don't know anything about the plot of Tenet and will try to keep it that way. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be allowed to go to the movie theater any time soon, so the DVD will be a high priority purchase for me. Hopefully with a lot of bonus features and stuff like the Memento DVD had.

You're right, there are very few films that make me want to watch them again on the big screen immediately. The most recent film that did that for me was Mad Max: Fury Road.

When you get the Tenet DVD or Blu-ray, be sure to put on subtitles.

As for my state, Connecticut has the virus under control better than many states. I didn't mention it, but in the theater I saw Tenet in, there was nobody within 40 feet of me. I felt completely cool with the entire thing.

DoctorZaius
09-04-2020, 09:40 AM

You're right, there are very few films that make me want to watch them again on the big screen immediately. The most recent film that did that for me was Mad Max: Fury Road.

As for my state, Connecticut has the virus under control better than many states. I didn't mention it, but in the theater I saw Tenet in, there was nobody within 40 feet of me. I felt completely cool with the entire thing.

For me it would be the original Planet of the Apes, then chronologically Jaws, Raiders, and Die Hard. I'm not sure, however, if the experience would feel the same in a less than full capacity theater. Part of the movie experience for me is opening weekend crowds.

Still Servant
09-04-2020, 04:43 PM

For me it would be the original Planet of the Apes, then chronologically Jaws, Raiders, and Die Hard. I'm not sure, however, if the experience would feel the same in a less than full capacity theater. Part of the movie experience for me is opening weekend crowds.

You got to see the original Planet of the Apes in theaters!?! That's awesome! Tell me how it was. I always thought that must have been amazing to witness that twist for the first time in theaters at a time where movies weren't really trying to do that much.

Also, one more thing about Tenet, the film is a essentially a spy thriller with heist elements. Nolan really loves heist films. This is his Bond film.

Still Servant
09-05-2020, 03:35 PM
I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm thinking this will be the last Charlie Kaufman film I ever watch. Sorry, Matt. What an odd, odd little film. Dripping with unadulterated pretentiousness.

Mattrick
09-05-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm watching that this weekend. I can't wait! Unadulterated pretentiousness...the description is like candy to me.

Jean
09-06-2020, 03:23 AM
That's a movie that loses 75% effectiveness if you don't watch it in theaters.that's really sad to hear. It doesn't look like I could go to England any time soon, and here I don't think I can find a theater that would show it without translation. ::sad bear::

kingfan2323
09-06-2020, 07:54 AM
That's a movie that loses 75% effectiveness if you don't watch it in theaters.that's really sad to hear. It doesn't look like I could go to England any time soon, and here I don't think I can find a theater that would show it without translation. ::sad bear::How much of that 75% is affected by idiots on their cell phones, taking 20 minutes to open a crinkly bag of candy, talking to their friends, and getting up every 4 minutes to go get another soda during the film?

If only true film-lovers could have the theater to ourselves! Better luck with the big screen tv and surround sound system if possible.

And . . . HI, Bear!
How is the Terrence Malick exploration going?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DoctorZaius
09-06-2020, 08:57 AM

You got to see the original Planet of the Apes in theaters!?! That's awesome! Tell me how it was. I always thought that must have been amazing to witness that twist for the first time in theaters at a time where movies weren't really trying to do that much.

Since you asked: Saw Planet of the Apes at the local drive-in in Braintree, Massachusetts. I remember it so vividly - probably because I have talked about the film that remains in my top ten best movie experiences of all time. I was six years old, yes six. We were driving to my Nana's house in Mattapan. As we were heading there my parents, who had seen it the night before, were talking about it in the from seat. My brother (9 years old) and I began to whine about wanting to see it, and my father, looking to get out of visiting my mother's mother, asked if we wanted to head off to the drive-in instead. And off we went.

It was really popular to place those old metal folding beach folding chairs in front of the car at our drive-in. The drive-in broadcast over chrome wired speakers, one for each side of the car, that we placed just behind us on the hood of our old station wagon. Despite it being outside, the fact that so many others did the same thing created a real communal atmosphere. The whole grounds gasped so many times: Stewart's death in the opening (thought she was an ape at first), the first time an ape showed up on a horse, the carrying of humans like a dead deer, the stuffed Dodge in the museum, "Damn Dirty Ape," the scar on Landon's head (never did know what a lobotomy was), the doll speaking "mama," and then the finale, oh, the finale. I remember my bother grabbing my bicep and squeezing it, pointing at the giant screen. I remember major crowd reactions. I rememberer is asking my parents "is that, is that...but how, I mean, that means...what does that mean...really" or something to that effect. It remains one of my best memories, and in the years that came after I discovered Nova, oh Nova. What follows is some of my Apes shrine (I was lucky to meet some in person) - someday I will get around to to purchasing a first hard cover edition of Monkey Planet, Pierre Boulle's original title.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_54091.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_54101.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_54121.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_54131.jpg

Still Servant
09-06-2020, 03:26 PM
You were 6!?! That makes that story even more amazing. To be impacted by a film at such a young age is so incredible. Thank you for sharing. Do you remember if you understood the ending? Did that click or did you have to have it explained?

Love the memorabilia too. The Statue of Liberty in the sand is a really nice piece.

Also, I'm sure you weren't able to appreciate Nova until you were a little older. :lol:

DoctorZaius
09-06-2020, 03:48 PM
You were 6!?! That makes that story even more amazing. To be impacted by a film at such a young age is so incredible. Thank you for sharing. Do you remember if you understood the ending? Did that click or did you have to have it explained?

Love the memorabilia too. The Statue of Liberty in the sand is a really nice piece.

Also, I'm sure you weren't able to appreciate Nova until you were a little older. :lol:

To the best of my recollection, it clicked, but I needed confirmation from my parents. I was obsessed with Planet of the Apes. I think that the Apes series was responsible for my love of film. My father took me to all four of the subsequent sequels, and I even liked the tv series. They were event films for me. Then two years after the final Apes film came out, Jaws came out, and I had a new obsession - Jaws remains my favorite film of all time. I was lucky to have so many event films in my life. And yes, my Nova obsession came a bit later, right about the time I discovered One Million Years B.C. on one Saturday after noon on tv and became obsessed with Raquel Welch - funny, she and Nova had similar costumes.

Garrell
09-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Lol, we must be the same age, the above post was my childhood, Rachel and all. Classic stuff.

Shannon
09-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Mulan (2020)

Background info:

-I liked the animated original.
-I generally really enjoy the live action Disney remakes.
-I understand where Disney was coming from for charging people to see the movie on Disney + (still doesn't make it a bad idea)
-I didn't pay $30 to see it.
-I was originally fine with no Mushu and/or the movie not being a musical.

Ok, with all that being said ... I gave it a 2/5. What a fucking letdown, lol.

allasorte
09-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Mulan (2020)

Background info:

-I liked the animated original.
-I generally really enjoy the live action Disney remakes.
-I understand where Disney was coming from for charging people to see the movie on Disney + (still doesn't make it a bad idea)
-I didn't pay $30 to see it.
-I was originally fine with no Mushu and/or the movie not being a musical.

Ok, with all that being said ... I gave it a 2/5. What a fucking letdown, lol.

It really wasn't very good, I agree it was a letdown.

Randall Flagg
09-07-2020, 12:48 PM
I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but I'm so glad Disney is going to take a bath on this one. Oh sure, they'll eventually make money, but it won't be the billion dollar cash baby they originally thought.

webstar1000
09-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Sad to hear this on Mulan... it has excellent reviews elsewhere.

Garrell
09-07-2020, 07:25 PM
I haven’t seen the original but watched the new one tonight and enjoyed it. Predictable and very Disneyish but was a good watch. I do think Disney is crooked for charging for it on a subscription streaming platform(step son paid for it for his kids, I refused on principle).

Shannon
09-08-2020, 05:13 AM
Movie: Without the music and the humor, it was essentially Crouching Tiger, Hidden Mulan embedded in a setting that we've seen a million times in other Asian war movies. It felt generic, and that's the last thing I want when watching a movie.

Charging Extra To See It: Like I said earlier, I GET why they did it. They expected to make a billion dollars at the box office, and due to the virus, that was ripped from them, so they're trying to make at least some of their money back. But but but, that still doesn't justify actually going through with what should have just been a shot-down idea at a brainstorming session. What if this idea succeeds? It sets a dangerous precedent. Will we now have to pay a premium to watch movies the first month they come out on Netflix?

"See Tenet on Netflix in November ... only $14.99!"

Dangerous.

Garrell
09-08-2020, 05:34 AM
Add they own ESPN, charging for the big college games?

Still Servant
09-08-2020, 03:05 PM

To the best of my recollection, it clicked, but I needed confirmation from my parents. I was obsessed with Planet of the Apes. I think that the Apes series was responsible for my love of film. My father took me to all four of the subsequent sequels, and I even liked the tv series. They were event films for me. Then two years after the final Apes film came out, Jaws came out, and I had a new obsession - Jaws remains my favorite film of all time. I was lucky to have so many event films in my life. And yes, my Nova obsession came a bit later, right about the time I discovered One Million Years B.C. on one Saturday after noon on tv and became obsessed with Raquel Welch - funny, she and Nova had similar costumes.

It truly is powerful to see the impact film can have on one's life.

Let me ask you, did you enjoy the recent Planet of the Apes films? I'm not counting the Tim Burton film.

Garrell
09-08-2020, 03:41 PM
I have been a huge POTA fansince the beginning and I personally did live the recent ones.

Iwritecode
09-09-2020, 08:53 AM
I’d be more open to renting online if it was cheaper than $20. I just don’t understand that price point when I had the AMC pass where I could see 12 movies a month in the theater for $25.

I think it's mostly because they can't control how many people see it once you give them the $20. If you invite 10 friends over and you all chip in $2. That's a really cheap movie. But they also can't price it so high that nobody will want to rent it either.

Merlin1958
09-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Outpost: Was both very good and interesting. Depicts one of the deadliest battles in Afghanistan. Spoiler Alert:

Orlando doesn't go the distance again!!! lol

Tommy
09-09-2020, 07:56 PM

I'm thinking this will be the last Charlie Kaufman film I ever watch. Sorry, Matt. What an odd, odd little film. Dripping with unadulterated pretentiousness.

It is the least favorite film that Kaufman has had a part in that I have seen so far and Synecdoche, New York is one of my all time favorites and Anomalisa was brilliant but this movie, this movie left me depressed and hopeless. I have enough of that in real life already. Sorry but this was a miss for me as well. They'll be dozens and dozens of people making videos trying to analyze it and tell us what it really means and how awesome it really is but I just am not interested and I hope his next work will be better.

Merlin1958
09-09-2020, 08:22 PM
So, lately I've been on a bit of a Rock n Roll nostalgia kick culling through my extensive R n R DVD collection and revisited a classic title, "The Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus". IMHO it's somewhat of a well kept secret of a show that features Rock's ruling c lass at the time. The Stones, The Who, Eric Clapton (post Cream), John Lennon and a host of others, Not every track is an all time classic, but the one's that are classic's are not really up for argument, IMHO. Sympathy for the Devil. You can't always get what you want, Yer Blues, A Quick One are just a few timeless classics.

Given the memories and, was Kieth EVER really that young? I give it a 6 out of 6 on the RF movie rating system and a definite treat for the "Old Time Rock n Roller" in all of us!!!!! It's available for rent or purchase on Amazon Prime. Treat yourself to the golden age of Rock n Roll!!!!!

St. Troy
09-10-2020, 04:30 AM
Recently saw You Should Have Left, a pretty minimalist, basic horror film that (to me) was more than the sum of its parts; I quite liked it.

Also saw Hereditary (finally). This was all kinds of fucked - I loved it.

Also saw A Dog's Journey (sequel to A Dog's Purpose). I am not big on sappy, family-type things, but I suppose I enjoyed these, although not as much as the above horror movies. Plus, I don't enjoy repeatedly watching

dogs get old and die.

Yes, I know it was predictable and sugar-coated, but that still makes for difficult watching.

Heather19
09-10-2020, 09:20 AM
So glad to hear you enjoyed Hereditary!

allasorte
09-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Movie: Without the music and the humor, it was essentially Crouching Tiger, Hidden Mulan embedded in a setting that we've seen a million times in other Asian war movies. It felt generic, and that's the last thing I want when watching a movie.

Charging Extra To See It: Like I said earlier, I GET why they did it. They expected to make a billion dollars at the box office, and due to the virus, that was ripped from them, so they're trying to make at least some of their money back. But but but, that still doesn't justify actually going through with what should have just been a shot-down idea at a brainstorming session. What if this idea succeeds? It sets a dangerous precedent. Will we now have to pay a premium to watch movies the first month they come out on Netflix?

"See Tenet on Netflix in November ... only $14.99!"

Dangerous.

I said the exact same thing. A bad rehash of Crouching Tiger. How funny is that?!

Still Servant
09-10-2020, 03:38 PM

It is the least favorite film that Kaufman has had a part in that I have seen so far and Synecdoche, New York is one of my all time favorites and Anomalisa was brilliant but this movie, this movie left me depressed and hopeless. I have enough of that in real life already. Sorry but this was a miss for me as well. They'll be dozens and dozens of people making videos trying to analyze it and tell us what it really means and how awesome it really is but I just am not interested and I hope his next work will be better.

Agreed. It's a super depressing film. That being said, my biggest issue with the film was that I caught on way too early as to what was going on. As soon as they showed the janitor, I said to myself that he was an older Jesse Plemons and the rest of the film is taking place in his head or something.

I rarely predict right on films, but I pretty much nailed this one. At that point, I was waiting for the main character to catch up to me and she never did. Of course, it makes sense in the end as to why she never did.

DoctorZaius
09-10-2020, 04:51 PM

It truly is powerful to see the impact film can have on one's life.

Let me ask you, did you enjoy the recent Planet of the Apes films? I'm not counting the Tim Burton film.

I went to see them with admitted skepticism, but in the end I loved every minute of the new series. It was a brilliant reimagining of the origin, essentially taking the place of Conquest of, and Battle for the Planet of the Apes. I really enjoyed the many Easter eggs throughout. If you recall, they mention a manned mission to Mars in the first film. My hope is that they use that tidbit to propel a new trilogy reminiscent of the initial two films.

Burton's version is a -12 on a scale of 1-10, and that is being kind.

Jean
09-11-2020, 01:08 AM
How much of that 75% is affected by idiots on their cell phones, taking 20 minutes to open a crinkly bag of candy, talking to their friends, and getting up every 4 minutes to go get another soda during the film? wow, so true! I totally forgot about those. I was in the movie theater... what, four, five years ago?... and five more years before that... and so on. Well, they don't show movies I want to see anyway.

And . . . HI, Bear!
How is the Terrence Malick exploration going? hi! ::waves paw::
the exploration is going splendid: on to The Thin Red Line, hopefully this weekend

Pere Jere
09-11-2020, 04:47 AM
How much of that 75% is affected by idiots on their cell phones, taking 20 minutes to open a crinkly bag of candy, talking to their friends, and getting up every 4 minutes to go get another soda during the film? wow, so true! I totally forgot about those. I was in the movie theater... what, four, five years ago?... and five more years before that... and so on. Well, they don't show movies I want to see anyway.

And . . . HI, Bear!
How is the Terrence Malick exploration going? hi! ::waves paw::
the exploration is going splendid: on to The Thin Red Line, hopefully this weekend

Malick’s three films following his 20 year break, The Thin Red Line, The New World, and especially The Tree of Life are all masterpieces to me. I’m always excited to see what he does next even if he misfires.

fernandito
09-11-2020, 09:18 AM
I've heard from a few people now that I'm Thinking of Ending Things is one of the most depressing, miserable films they've ever watched.

Naturally I'm dying to see it now. Maybe I'll catch it later today :D

mae
09-11-2020, 10:02 AM
I've heard from a few people now that I'm Thinking of Ending Things is one of the most depressing, miserable films they've ever watched.

Weird, from the title I would have thought it'd be more upbeat. Shrug.

webstar1000
09-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Watching Grand Budapest and What we Do in the Shadows. STRONG love here... so hey... I will try them!

Still Servant
09-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Weird, from the title I would have thought it'd be more upbeat. Shrug.

It's funny, that's the same line of thinking I used when I heard the title of the film. It's part of the reason I guessed where the film was going. However, they want you to think it has to do with a breakup.

Watching Grand Budapest and What we Do in the Shadows. STRONG love here... so hey... I will try them!

You're not going to like Grand Budapest.

Mattrick
09-13-2020, 09:46 AM
Watched (D)Ad Astra. It's not what I was expecting (I expected a more "into the unknown of space" film) yet I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. The world itself felt so loved in. It almost felt like it could've been a prequel to Alien with how everyday space travel was getting. In many ways the film was a classic adventure type film where the character has a goal and we see their long,arduous journey to reach it. Stellar (ong punz) production design and photography.

4/5

Shannon
09-13-2020, 10:45 PM
Eurovision Song Contest: Story of Fire Saga

Most of the movie: 1 or 2 out of 5. Almost turn-offable.

Most of the songs: 4 out of 5. Amazing.

Hard to rate overall, but by the end, enjoyable enough to recommend the movie based on the songs alone.

Ricky
09-14-2020, 06:30 AM
I think you mean a 4/5. :lol:

But I'm with you. The songs are amazing. I bought the soundtrack and have been listening to it like crazy. Ja Ja Ding Dong!

fernandito
09-14-2020, 09:39 AM
T E N E T

A big, bombastic, thrillingly entertaining yet equally bewildering espionage film, Tenet is both Nolan at his absolute best and absolute worst.

The high concept premise lends itself to tantalizing action spectacle and stylistic bravado, but as is often the case in Nolan's films, the human element gets short changed. There is a constant stream of exposition which must be bottle necked into those precious moments where things aren't being blown up. (And let's not talk about the dialogue being barely audible over the booming score which makes an already complex story even more confusing, seriously this is a big problem that needs to be addressed). The overall premise can come across as just a little goofy sometimes without fleshed out character motivations to substantiate it.

Fortunately when the film is on, it's really on. The twisty narrative and outstanding technical craftsmanship help propel the film into dazzling territory that is something to admire, even by Nolan's standards. Washington's nameless Protagonist is a cunning, charming, and bruising lead that gives the film a strong focal point. Pattinson steals the spotlight in most scenes he's in as sly and mysterious operative that knows more than he lets on. Their dry-humored exchanges are some of the films best personal moments.

All told, this is another solid entry in Nolan's portfolio, I just wish there had been less roadblocks preventing it from becoming one of his all time best.

3.5/5

mae
09-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make my showing so I had to cancel. Maybe next weekend.

Jean
09-17-2020, 01:19 AM

Naturally I'm dying to see it nowDefinitely. So are bears. Doubtlessly.

webstar1000
09-17-2020, 03:14 AM
Devil all the Time. I’m a HUGE Tom Holland fan. I think he is the next big thing. He is my fav Marvel actor hands down too. So I’m very excited for this on Netflix and will watch soon. Has anyone seen it?

Garrell
09-17-2020, 03:42 AM
Tenet- fernandito is dead on on his review. Long but fun and confusing at times.

fernandito
09-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Devil all the Time. I’m a HUGE Tom Holland fan. I think he is the next big thing. He is my fav Marvel actor hands down too. So I’m very excited for this on Netflix and will watch soon. Has anyone seen it?

Not yet but I'm watching it this weekend. It looks right up my alley, and Holland/Pattinson look like they'll play perfectly off each other.

Still Servant
09-17-2020, 02:16 PM

I haven't seen it just yet, but I'm not so sure you're going to like that one. I say it's a 50/50 chance.

webstar1000
09-17-2020, 02:38 PM

I haven't seen it just yet, but I'm not so sure you're going to like that one. I say it's a 50/50 chance.

I LOVE both actors though. My top
Guys. I did avoid the Hotel one but watched Winters Bone. It was ok... I wasn’t smitten with it at all though. Lol

Still Servant
09-17-2020, 03:03 PM

Guys. I did avoid the Hotel one but watched Winters Bone. It was ok... I wasn’t smitten with it at all though. Lol

Hopefully, you like it. I'm getting slow burn vibes from this one.

webstar1000
09-17-2020, 04:13 PM

Well shit..... love what I’m seeing. ALOT. This is one fine movie. It’s so good. Hour in and wife had to go so asked me to save the rest till tomorow!! Grrrr. Dying to see more!!! I’m surprised I like it so much.

Heather19
09-18-2020, 02:51 AM
I watched it last night as well and really enjoyed it. It's quite a brutal movie. I've never heard of the book. Has anyone read it? Also I noticed during the credits that the author is the one that narrated the film.

webstar1000
09-18-2020, 04:00 AM
I watched it last night as well and really enjoyed it. It's quite a brutal movie. I've never heard of the book. Has anyone read it? Also I noticed during the credits that the author is the one that narrated the film.

Brutal isnt the word... damm. I cannot imagine what is to come after the first scenes...Ill never forget that soldier on the cross!!!!!!!!!!!!

allasorte
09-18-2020, 10:09 AM

I watched it. It was extremely well acted, depressing with how people's lives went throughout the story, and overall a sad overall storyline. However, I felt the movie wasn't captivating or it didn't captivate me enough to love the film. I loved the acting, just not the actions or intelligence of some of the characters. Pattison really did a great job and so did Holland, they were impressive. 3/5

fernandito
09-18-2020, 02:57 PM

music to my big ears.

webstar1000
09-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Finished it... Tom Holland is gonna be a mega superstar like Ford, Crusie.... many other iconics. He is that good I think. Movie was very sad and brutal. Well acted (Patterson is soooo good) and the story is depressing. I love that Netflix gives directors more control than big studios.... you can really sense it in some of their productions. Well worth a watch. 7.5/10

Pere Jere
09-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Just watched Togo and while it’s formulaic at times I enjoyed it a lot. I have zero desire to see Call of the Wild because of all the CGI animals and the real dogs in this movie were great. I also found it interesting that a couple of the more unbelievable moments apparently really happened.

Garrell
09-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Togo was much better than COTW

Still Servant
09-21-2020, 04:38 PM
The Devil All the Time

Man, Netflix has been pumping out some dark shit recently with I'm Thinking of Ending Things and now The Devil All the Time. If you're looking for something light then look elsewhere because you'd have to use a magnifying glass to find something good that happens in the entire film.

The Devil All the Time features an impressive collection of Hollywood talent including Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgård, Riley Keough, Eliza Scanlen, Mia Wasikowska, Sebastian Stan, Jason Clarke, Haley Bennett. Maybe the highlight of the film for me is a deranged, electric performance from one of my favorite actors working today in Robert Pattinson.

The Devil All the Time features intersecting storylines that span a generation. The film introduces some characters that seem out of place, but it pays off in the end as all the threads get tied together.

For some, The Devil All the Time is going to test the patience of the viewer. Those that are patient will find an intriguing story about destiny and how lives can intersect and intertwine. Another major theme is religion and how it can be used to poison and twist those who believe.

The film is directed by Antonio Campos and it's the first film of his that I've seen. I think he shows quite a bit of potential here.

webstar1000
09-21-2020, 04:50 PM
The Devil All the Time

Man, Netflix has been pumping out some dark shit recently with I'm Thinking of Ending Things and now The Devil All the Time. If you're looking for something light then look elsewhere because you'd have to use a magnifying glass to find something good that happens in the entire film.

The Devil All the Time features an impressive collection of Hollywood talent including Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgård, Riley Keough, Eliza Scanlen, Mia Wasikowska, Sebastian Stan, Jason Clarke, Haley Bennett. Maybe the highlight of the film for me is a deranged, electric performance from one of my favorite actors working today in Robert Pattinson.

The Devil All the Time features intersecting storylines that span a generation. The film introduces some characters that seem out of place, but it pays off in the end as all the threads get tied together.

For some, The Devil All the Time is going to test the patience of the viewer. Those that are patient will find an intriguing story about destiny and how lives can intersect and intertwine. Another major theme is religion and how it can be used to poison and twist those who believe.

The film is directed by Antonio Campos and it's the first film of his that I've seen. I think he shows quite a bit of potential here.
Glad to hear you liked this film. I knew you would. I was a huge fan. Man Holland is becoming one of my fav actors as well as Patterson.

Still Servant
09-21-2020, 05:03 PM
Wait. Do you now know my taste as well as I know yours? Nice!

Holland has an exciting career ahead. He has a very rare Hollywood trait and that is that he's very likeable.

webstar1000
09-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Wait. Do you now know my taste as well as I know yours? Nice!

Holland has an exciting career ahead. He has a very rare Hollywood trait and that is that he's very likeable.

Yes. Nailed it. Extremely likeable. I’m a huge fan....

fernandito
09-22-2020, 09:50 AM
I like slow burners but Devil just didn't do it for me. Honestly I couldn't wait for the film to be over and was immensely relieved when it was.

Still Servant
09-22-2020, 05:12 PM
I like slow burners but Devil just didn't do it for me. Honestly I couldn't wait for the film to be over and was immensely relieved when it was.

Interesting. I'm surprised the performances didn't draw you in.

webstar1000
10-02-2020, 03:23 AM
New Mutants... we went to see Honest Thief BUT i had my dates wrong so since we are there anyways... why not? New Mutants is SO BAD (Its as bad as the Fantastic Four shit we got a few years back.. maybe worse. lol) that I now have ZERO faith in the new Stand reboot by Josh B. I hope I am wrong.... but if this movie is any indication. For the first One hour and 20 mins... there is nothing X-Men like about it. Its messed up teenagers dealing with thier feelings.. its brutal.... 2/10

Randall Flagg
10-02-2020, 03:52 PM
The theaters in our County just reopened. They have a reduced schedule and most movies have their earliest showing at ~2, even on weekends.

I like showings that are ~10am-11am start.

webstar1000
10-02-2020, 03:55 PM
The theaters in our County just reopened. They have a reduced schedule and most movies have their earliest showing at ~2, even on weekends.

I like showings that are ~10am-11am start.

I’d love late AM starts! That’s awesome! The earliest here is 1230pm

Garrell
10-05-2020, 10:42 AM
The King of Staten Island 4/5. Surprisingly fun and warm. Didn't see that going into it. I figured it would be silly and over the top. More drama than comedy but plenty of lol moments. Long for a "comedy" but not wasted time.

DoctorZaius
10-05-2020, 01:34 PM
We hosted my wife's Girl Scout troop at our house Saturday night for an out door screening of The Sixth Sense - projector and big screen! Very socially distanced for 15 & 16 year olds. They loved it, and I gotta admit is was so much fun to watch this again knowing the ending, and looking for consistencies. A really remarkable film that holds up well. 9/10

Still Servant
10-12-2020, 03:40 PM
I had the pleasure of catching The Trial of the Chicago 7 today in a theater. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love courtroom dramas and Aaron Sorkin has proven how good he is at writing courtroom screenplays with A Few Good Men. Sorkin is now 2-for-2 as a director as well. I loved Molly's Game and with the Trial of the Chicago 7, he and the cast should find themselves very busy around Oscar night, whenever that may be.

Even in a normal year, I think the Chicago 7 would have been well represented. I can say that this is the first traditionally Oscar worthy film to be released this year. The film's strength is the astounding ensemble cast. I could see nominations for Sacha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Be sure to check this one out this week when it drops on Netflix.

webstar1000
10-12-2020, 03:41 PM
I had the pleasure of catching The Trial of the Chicago 7 today in a theater. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love courtroom dramas and Aaron Sorkin has proven how good he is at writing courtroom screenplays with A Few Good Men. Sorkin is now 2-for-2 as a director as well. I loved Molly's Game and with the Trial of the Chicago 7, he and the cast should find themselves very busy around Oscar night, whenever that may be.

Even in a normal year, I think the Chicago 7 would have been well represented. I can say that this is the first traditionally Oscar worthy film to be released this year. The film's strength is the astounding ensemble cast. I could see nominations for Sacha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Be sure to check this one out this week when it drops on Netflix.

Super! Cannot wait to see this when it drops the 16th. I choose Honest Thief instead when we went ONLY cause it would play better being action and all in a theatre. It was ok... what you expect. No surprises.... just getting to a theatre is something now a days!

Randall Flagg
10-12-2020, 03:56 PM
I won't return to a Theater until there are showtimes before noon.

fernandito
10-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Europa Report

SnooZzzzzeeeee fest/10

Garrell
10-20-2020, 10:41 AM
The Tomorrow Man - 3/5 crazy ending?

Iwritecode
10-20-2020, 11:16 AM
Watched Terminator Dark Fate the other day. I thought it was really good but I'm shocked that it didn't get the exact same criticism that The Force Awakens got in that it was basically the same plot as the first movie in the franchise.

It's a movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton where an un-killable robot shows up from the future to kill a character and the fate of the entire world rests on the survival of said character. While another character also shows up from the future to protect said character. :shrug:

That said, I really enjoyed it and if you look at it as a direct sequel to T2 it fits into the timeline nicely. I give it 3 :biggrin1: out of 4.

Mattrick
10-20-2020, 10:55 PM
I've had an itch to rewatch Hugo for the first time in years since I've done some reading about George Melies for school. It's such a wonderful film and definitely top 5 Scorsese for me. A true love letter to the birth of cinema and movie magic and the power of film. It's such a flawless script too. Even little bit characters have little arcs and payoffs to their little stories. I want to write a post about Sacha Baron Cohen's character and performance as he's so well executed. He gets really one scene to establish his character and it totally fleshes him out, and then a scene with Hugo later that gives us basically his entire life story and explains all his motivations in a couple lines of dialogue. It's really quite efficient storytelling.

fernandito
10-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Hugo is one of the few Scorsese films I haven't seen yet. I'll get to it this week.

Still Servant
10-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Hugo was one of the few films that used 3D well during the silly rebirth of that fad.

Last night, I had the honor of seeing Memories of Murder in theaters. It's so great to get a chance to see a film like that on the big screen. The film is a masterpiece. I know it didn't go far in our tournament but I hope people discover it now. Bong Joon-Ho really is a fine filmmaker.

Mattrick
10-21-2020, 08:26 PM
I'd love to see Hugo in 3D again. It's not gimmicky with Hugo since the usage of 3D is in itself an homage to Melies, the father of special effects.

Tommy
10-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Borat 2 - :o

mae
10-24-2020, 06:12 AM
Subsequent Borat Movie is next on my list but I just watched Yes, God, Yes on Netflix, what a fun and great little movie! Highly recommended! Natalia Dyer (from Stranger Things) is so good here!

Tommy
10-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Subsequent Borat Movie is next on my list but I just watched Yes, God, Yes on Netflix, what a fun and great little movie! Highly recommended! Natalia Dyer (from Stranger Things) is so good here!

Honestly, there is one segment of Borat 2 that really bothers me and I wish he had not done it. It has already caused a lawsuit. And if everything the family says is true, I'm not mad at the lawsuit. It does drive a particular narrative but it could have been done differently. I just really hate that one scene and if I watch it again, I would skip it.

Still Servant
10-24-2020, 02:15 PM

Honestly, there is one segment of Borat 2 that really bothers me and I wish he had not done it. It has already caused a lawsuit. And if everything the family says is true, I'm not mad at the lawsuit. It does drive a particular narrative but it could have been done differently. I just really hate that one scene and if I watch it again, I would skip it.

Is that the scene right after the dirty old man says he would spend $500 on a girl he thinks is 15 and then his daughter tells him he's fucking gross? That scene is more offensive than anything that followed.

Tommy
10-24-2020, 04:50 PM

Is that the scene right after the dirty old man says he would spend $500 on a girl he thinks is 15 and then his daughter tells him he's fucking gross? That scene is more offensive than anything that followed.

It's the scene with the two holocaust survivors.

UPDATE The lawsuit brought forth by the family of the now deceased holocaust survivor has been dismissed. She died not knowing what she had taken part according to her family but I heard that Cohen did a rare thing and broke character after that scene and explained to them what he was doing. I have no idea what to believe.
I do know that the babysitter in the film is now upset that she only made $3,600 from her part trying to teach the girl of the equality of women and was used for comedic purposes without her knowledge. That's Cohen shtick of course but that one also seems particularly cruel especially since she is now jobless due to the pandemic and has set up a GoFundMe page.
It is a jaw-dropping film and I have no problem with the political leaders, worthless rich people, the plastic surgeons willing to do surgery on a 15 year old girl, the ignorant QAnon conspiracy rednecks etc. getting punked but Cohen is really pushing some boundaries by punking some very decent folks that didn't deserve it. Just my opinion, that's all.

mae
10-26-2020, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKh9FU8SRw

Tommy
10-27-2020, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=mae;1220913]Subsequent Borat Movie is next on my list but I just watched Yes, God, Yes on Netflix, what a fun and great little movie! Highly recommended! Natalia Dyer (from Stranger Things) is so good here!

UPDATE The lawsuit brought forth by the family of the now deceased holocaust survivor has been dismissed. She died not knowing what she had taken part according to her family but I heard that Cohen did a rare thing and broke character after that scene and explained to them what he was doing. I have no idea what to believe.
I do know that the babysitter in the film is now upset that she only made $3,600 from her part trying to teach the girl of the equality of women and was used for comedic purposes without her knowledge. That's Cohen shtick of course but that one also seems particularly cruel especially since she is now jobless due to the pandemic and has set up a GoFundMe page.
It is a jaw-dropping film and I have no problem with the political leaders, worthless rich people, the plastic surgeons willing to do surgery on a 15 year old girl, the ignorant QAnon conspiracy rednecks etc. getting punked but Cohen is really pushing some boundaries by punking some very decent folks that didn't deserve it. Just my opinion, that's all.

allasorte
10-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Hugo was one of the few films that used 3D well during the silly rebirth of that fad.

Last night, I had the honor of seeing Memories of Murder in theaters. It's so great to get a chance to see a film like that on the big screen. The film is a masterpiece. I know it didn't go far in our tournament but I hope people discover it now. Bong Joon-Ho really is a fine filmmaker.

Have you looked into Memories of Murder? I wasn't too happy with the ending until I realized the timeline as I went into watching it fully not knowing anything about it. Really good movie that had a happy ending, so to speak, in 2019.

Still Servant
10-27-2020, 05:32 PM

I thought that was a really beautiful scene. He was expecting to get a rise out of these little old ladies, but instead, she welcomed him with open arms and talked with him. I would not have guessed that was the scene you were talking about. It's certainly incentive on his part, but I think he came to that realization really quickly.

Still Servant
10-27-2020, 05:35 PM

Have you looked into Memories of Murder? I wasn't too happy with the ending until I realized the timeline as I went into watching it fully not knowing anything about it. Really good movie that had a happy ending, so to speak, in 2019.

Yeah, I mean when I saw the film over 10 years ago, the case was unsolved. I still really loved the ending regardless. Watching it again knowing they finally caught the guy definitely softens things a bit. For me, what I come away with is how these cases are so hard to prove, and sometimes no matter how good of a detective you are, you can't always prove someone is a murderer. For me, Memories of Murder is right up there with Zodiac and Seven.

webstar1000
10-28-2020, 03:30 AM

Yeah, I mean when I saw the film over 10 years ago, the case was unsolved. I still really loved the ending regardless. Watching it again knowing they finally caught the guy definitely softens things a bit. For me, what I come away with is how these cases are so hard to prove, and sometimes no matter how good of a detective you are, you can't always prove someone is a murderer. For me, Memories of Murder is right up there with Zodiac and Seven.

Would I like this movie ? I LOVED Se7en and Zodiac

Still Servant
10-28-2020, 03:15 PM

Yes. I think you would.

webstar1000
10-28-2020, 03:16 PM

Yes. I think you would.

Ok thanks. Gonna get that tonight. Wonder if Netflix or prime has it...

Still Servant
10-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, you're only going to find it for rent online.

Garrell
10-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Halloween 2018. Predictable but good. Enjoyable and worth the watch.

Randall Flagg
10-31-2020, 04:01 PM
Went to the Theater for the first time in7+ months!!!

Viewed "Honest Thief"

4/6

You know going in that Liam Neilson is trying to redeem himself, because of the woman he recently met, and fell in love with.
These and other facts inhibit his character from taking the violent measures he's taken in recent movies.
Still, it was great to see him on the big screen.

Still Servant
11-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Went to the Theater for the first time in7+ months!!!

Viewed "Honest Thief"

4/6

You know going in that Liam Neilson is trying to redeem himself, because of the woman he recently met, and fell in love with.
These and other facts inhibit his character from taking the violent measures he's taken in recent movies.
Still, it was great to see him on the big screen.

I love that! I'm so glad you went. It's a great feeling.

mae
11-01-2020, 10:34 AM
I must say that this ad campaign for Borat 2 is pretty amazing. Loving these videos with fans. Still haven't seen the movie yet, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0RWuSFXVA

webstar1000
11-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Yes. I think you would.

Yes I liked it. Great movie. I thought the fact that they caught the guy last year incredible to!

Still Servant
11-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Nice! I'm so glad you liked it!

webstar1000
11-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Anyone watch His house? It has 100% RT and a ton of glowing reviews

allasorte
11-03-2020, 07:37 PM

I fell asleep on it If anyone thinks it is worth watching let us know and I will give a second try.

Still Servant
11-06-2020, 06:05 AM
I don't know how I missed this one but, check out Shot Caller. A really fine film that went really under the radar in 2017. The film stars Nikolaj Coster‑Waldau, Jon Bernthal and Lake Bell.

webstar1000
11-06-2020, 07:04 AM
I don't know how I missed this one but, check out Shot Caller. A really fine film that went really under the radar in 2017. The film stars Nikolaj Coster‑Waldau, Jon Bernthal and Lake Bell.

GREAT movie.

Tommy
11-06-2020, 07:08 AM

I loved it.

Randall Flagg
11-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Borat 2:

Quite funny at times, and a bit of a stretch at other times. 3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Randall Flagg
11-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Let Him Go:

Excellent acting in this Western set in 1960's Montana and North Dakota. Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are a long married couple who often can communicate with just a look, or a body posture.

When their son is killed in a tragic horse riding incident, their daughter-in-law soon marries another man and moves out of their house, taking their 3 year old grandson with her.

Lane witnesses an incident in town that convinces her the new husband is abusive to the wife and the boy. Soon after the couple and the child leave town abruptly.
Lane makes up her mind to track them down, and check on the boy. Costner has no choice but to tag along.

When they find the clan the boy is living with, they meet the wide eyed crazy matriarch mother running the family.

Although the movie is slow paced and laconic, tension builds to the inevitable confrontation.

4/6 beers on the RFSRS.

allasorte
11-10-2020, 06:40 PM
The New Mutants
The worst Marvel movie to date. Terrible story, poor acting, and no real plot. 1/5

RUBE
11-12-2020, 09:55 AM
New Mutants isn't an MCU movie, it's the last Fox X-Men movie. So are you saying it is worse than all of the Marvel movies ever made or just worse than any MCU movie? Surely you at least thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was worse.

allasorte
11-12-2020, 08:15 PM
New Mutants isn't an MCU movie, it's the last Fox X-Men movie. So are you saying it is worse than all of the Marvel movies ever made or just worse than any MCU movie? Surely you at least thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was worse.

For me, worst Marvel movie to date.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 04:03 AM

For me, worst Marvel movie to date.

yes. BIG time.

Mattrick
11-13-2020, 09:43 AM
I feel like y'all forgot about Wolverine Origins.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 09:54 AM

I didnt. Mutants is the worst film. Period. Have you seen it? IT IS BRUTAL.

Mattrick
11-13-2020, 10:05 AM

It can't be worse than Wolverine Origins. I think that's impossible. I think if you watched Wolverine Origins right now you would agree. I feel I can comfortably say this without having seen New Mutants. The fact New Mutants has Anya Taylor-Joy already makes it a better film.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 10:06 AM

It can't be worse than Wolverine Origins. I think that's impossible. I think if you watched Wolverine Origins right now you would agree. I feel I can comfortably say this without having seen New Mutants. The fact New Mutants has Anya Taylor-Joy already makes it a better film.

Dude. It is. Its brutal. I cannot stress how bad it is. I never wanted to walk out on Wolverine... I did on Mutants. It is the reason I have ZERO faith now in Josh Boone and his upcoming Stand.

fernandito
11-13-2020, 10:15 AM
If we're counting Marvel movies as in movies featuring Marvel characters, nothing is worse than the Fantastic Four(s), the Josh Trank reboot and the sequel with Jessica Alba. HO-LEE SHIT those movies were bad.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 10:22 AM
If we're counting Marvel movies as in movies featuring Marvel characters, nothing is worse than the Fantastic Four(s), the Josh Trank reboot and the sequel with Jessica Alba. HO-LEE SHIT those movies were bad.

Dude.. this was worse. I was including that. It is so freakin bad. I have NEVER wanted to leave a theater.. I did for Mutants.

Mattrick
11-13-2020, 10:22 AM

Dude. It is. Its brutal. I cannot stress how bad it is. I never wanted to walk out on Wolverine... I did on Mutants. It is the reason I have ZERO faith now in Josh Boone and his upcoming Stand.

You didn't want to walk out on Wolverine Origins? I went with people or I would've. I wouldn't base Boone's ability to make The Stand based on this...20th Century Fox is notorious for interfering with films, especially ones it wants to make them money. See Josh Trank's Fantastic Four film.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 10:28 AM

You didn't want to walk out on Wolverine Origins? I went with people or I would've. I wouldn't base Boone's ability to make The Stand based on this...20th Century Fox is notorious for interfering with films, especially ones it wants to make them money. See Josh Trank's Fantastic Four film.

I have seen Fantastic. I did not like it. However...I do not know how many ways I can say this guys... Mutants is the worse. Listen... see it! You can rent it or download it now. I cannot wait to hear what you think of it. lol A bunch of us went because there was nothing else to see... not one of us liked it remotely.

The Stand feels like Boone wanted to make it for YA. It looks cheesy and silly.... I hope it is not but there is no dark tones for me there which it needs. It also looks like they skip over the first part of the book which I loved. We will see.... but I have lost faith.

webstar1000
11-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Greenland. I have a decent home theatre. I wish I seen this in a real one though. What a great intense movie. We Absolutely loved it.

allasorte
11-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Dude.. this was worse. I was including that. It is so freakin bad. I have NEVER wanted to leave a theater.. I did for Mutants.

Yes, it is that bad even when mentioning Wolverine and Fantastic Four. At least those two movies had a definitive premise to the story. New Mutants was just bad in every way.

Ricky
11-13-2020, 06:22 PM
I'm looking forward to Greenland! It looks like a lot of fun.

Anyone seen Antebellum? I haven't heard much chatter about it.

Still Servant
11-13-2020, 10:16 PM
I'm looking forward to Greenland! It looks like a lot of fun.

Anyone seen Antebellum? I haven't heard much chatter about it.

Antebellum was one of my more anticipated films of the year, but it got destroyed by critics. I'm hoping to rent it at some point.

RUBE
11-14-2020, 05:05 AM

Yes, it is that bad even when mentioning Wolverine and Fantastic Four. At least those two movies had a definitive premise to the story. New Mutants was just bad in every way.

I watched New Mutants and I still think the first Wolverine was worse. I also think Dark Phoenix was worse. I never saw the new Fantastic Four but I hear it is awful. And I think we are all blocking out the memory of terrible early Marvel movies like Daredevil, Electra, and the Hulk with Eric Bana. (Edit: And I forgot about the multiple Punisher movies and Howard the Duck)

Boone's main problem was that he tried to remake a cheesy horror movie like Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors and mix in the teen drama that he seems to love. It was his selling point though because the X-Men movies that were in different genres (Deadpool-comedy, Logan-Western) were the ones that did the best recently.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2020, 08:47 AM
Freaky:

This mashup up, homage to numerous teen slasher movies is primarily a Freaky Friday with the killer and a female teenager switching bodies. Slow at times, it is redeemed by several very funny scenes, particularly with Vince Vaughn showing his acting chops as the Killer with the female teen in his body.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS. Still was worth the $6 charge for admittance.

Still Servant
11-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Freaky:

This mashup up, homage to numerous teen slasher movies is primarily a Freaky Friday with the killer and a female teenager switching bodies. Slow at times, it is redeemed by several very funny scenes, particularly with Vince Vaughn showing his acting chops as the Killer with the female teen in his body.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS. Still was worth the $6 charge for admittance.

Agreed! I think it was a clever twist on the familiar body swap trope. I enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Shannon
11-17-2020, 06:44 PM

As great as she was in Queen's Gambit, her character was cringeworthy in New Mutants.

M_O_O_N
11-18-2020, 07:19 AM
"First Cow" I give it a four out of four quarts.

Iwritecode
11-18-2020, 01:39 PM
So I finally got a chance to watch “Bill and Ted Face the Music” last night. Some spoilers may be ahead so beware.

I’m a huge fan of the first 2 movies (the 2nd one more than the first) so much so that I even dressed up as Bill from the second movie when I was about 15 or so. I had the black and white shoes with the red laces, the grey pants, the yellow t-shirt and the green plaid flannel. I even bought a red hat and hand drew the Wyld Stallyns logo on it by pausing the VHS tape during the movie and using the logo on the side of their van as a model.

I had been patiently waiting for this 3rd installment for many, many years. When it finally went from rumors to reality I was super excited for it. When covid hit and they weren’t able to release it in theaters but instead released it on streaming platforms for $20, I knew I would have to wait for the blu-ray release of it.

When I first heard about the plot, I was totally on board with it. It sounded plausible. The last movie ended with them supposedly “saving the world” and now here it is 20 years later, they are middle-aged, have kids and have yet to save the world or even the slightest idea how to do it.

Because I’m completely impatient, I watched numerous YouTube reviews about it and had the big “twist” ending revealed to me months ago. It doesn’t really fit with the lore of the first 2 movies but I’m OK with it. I thought that as long as the story was good, I’d be on board.

So now after having watched the movie… I’m a little disappointed in it. I feel like they really tried to cram too much into too little space. They either needed to cut some story line out or make the movie about 20 minutes longer.

The first movie was all about them traveling through time. And they had a reason for it. They had to do their history report. But at least they spent a little bit of time in a few of the different time periods. When they went to the old west they went to the bar, ordered drinks, sat down and played some poker (Whoa! 3 aces!) and then ducked out of a bar fight with Billy the Kid.

When they went to medieval England they dressed up in suits of armor, got captured (Iron Maiden?!? Excellent!) and met their future wives. Some of the other historical figures they just sort of grabbed but then they brought them all into modern times and set them loose in a mall.

In the new movie they sort of repeated this whole process but without actually spending any time in any of the time periods. They just said let’s get (insert famous musician) grabbed them and went on their way. Mostly because this was only half the movie. The other half was watching B&T travel around on their own simply meeting future versions of themselves so they could steal the song they hadn’t written yet. Which didn’t really make sense to me since Rufus’ daughter was from a future where they still hadn’t written the song. So why did they think that would work?

Then there was the whole killer robot named Dennis Caleb McCoy who essentially served no purpose other than as a vehicle for the characters to end up in Hell so they could get back together with Death. I’m not sure why they had to dress him up in all white with glowing blue lights considering he came from the future where they built two robots that looked exactly like human B&T. Why not just make him a normal looking dude?

My other problem with the movie was it just didn’t feel like Keanu and Alex had the same energy playing the characters. In the first 2 movies they were kind of bumbling idiots but that could be sort of explained as them just being young and dumb. You would think after 20 years they would have wised up a little bit but to me it was like they actually got worse. The scenes with the marriage counselor were awful. They were completely unnecessary and probably should’ve been cut from the movie. They really served no purpose at all other than to show how B&T really haven't changed much from the previous 2 movies.

In all the videos I watched, I feel like they really hyped up the girls that played their daughters as well. They were OK I guess but they seemed a little one-dimensional. Honestly the only thing we know about them is that love their dads and have an encyclopedic knowledge of music. That’s it. They really should have spent more time fleshing out their characters, which again goes back to them spending more time in each of the time periods.

The ending was a little corny but I guess that’s par for the course for these movies. Even knowing the twist, I still teared up a little when they finally figured it out. "Girls, you're not here to back us. We're here to back you." Then apparently everyone lived happily ever after.

Overall, I would give it a 2.5 out of 5. I watched it to complete the trilogy but it definitely won’t be on my re-watch list any time soon.

Still Servant
11-18-2020, 02:27 PM
My quarantine catchup! Featuring my Tenet review and mini-reviews for a bunch of films that can be found on streaming services.

https://tinyurl.com/QuickFlicks2020

Mattrick
11-18-2020, 02:47 PM
It's crazy that the newest film I've seen is The Invisible Man.

Heather19
11-22-2020, 03:25 PM

I loved it.

I watched this one recently and loved it as well.

Still Servant
11-22-2020, 04:58 PM
I got to see Sound of Metal in theaters this afternoon. This is one that I have actually been anticipating for the last two years. I thought it was a really beautiful film and Riz Ahmed gives one of the finer performances of the year. The film is directed by Darius Marder, who is making his directorial debut, and I have to say it's a thoroughly enjoyable first effort.

Mattrick
11-22-2020, 08:52 PM
I watched The Clovehitch Killer again. Definitely one you all should check out. It's a real nice and unique slow-burn type of film. Dylan McDermott is great in it.

fernandito
11-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Looks dope. I see its on Prime.

Ricky
11-23-2020, 10:54 AM
Watched Antebellum over the weekend and loved it. One of my favorites of the year. Great acting, score, suspense, and tension. Keeps you guessing throughout and never a dull moment. I would've liked a little more development of the antagonist (and I can see why some didn't like the twist), but overall incredibly well done and highly recommended. I would've loved to have seen this on the big screen.

webstar1000
11-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Watched Antebellum over the weekend and loved it. One of my favorites of the year. Great acting, score, suspense, and tension. Keeps you guessing throughout and never a dull moment. I would've liked a little more development of the antagonist (and I can see why some didn't like the twist), but overall incredibly well done and highly recommended. I would've loved to have seen this on the big screen.

where did you watch it? Neflix?

Ricky
11-23-2020, 10:57 AM
I got the DVD from Netflix.

fernandito
11-23-2020, 10:58 AM
I think you can also rent it on Prime for $2.99.

St. Troy
11-24-2020, 09:04 AM
I'm currently watching Billy Madison, only about 25 minutes in (watching bit by bit, recorded on DVR).

First, let me say: I like Sandler, I really like Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy, and I worship The Wedding Singer...

...now let me say: so far, Billy Madison is fucking atrocious - it is like a Sandler caricature made by someone who hates Sandler, except Sandler actually made this. I'm sticking with it basically so that I can say I gave it a chance (I still have to get around to Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds - man, I hope they're better than this).

I think this was his first starring role - maybe it is terrible because it was an initial attempt to generate something from the shitty bits he used to force into Weekend Update? (I really liked Sandler on SNL but, as with every other cast member, they can't be great 100% of the time, and Billy Madison's opening bit with the tanning lotion was like something shoddy Sandler would've shoehorned into SNL).

Still Servant
11-24-2020, 06:02 PM
I didn't even realize I have the first post on the 400th page of this thread! Wow! 400 that's incredible.

Mattrick
11-24-2020, 06:14 PM
I'm currently watching Billy Madison, only about 25 minutes in (watching bit by bit, recorded on DVR).

First, let me say: I like Sandler, I really like Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy, and I worship The Wedding Singer...

...now let me say: so far, Billy Madison is fucking atrocious - it is like a Sandler caricature made by someone who hates Sander, except Sandler actually made this. I'm sticking with it basically so that I can say I gave it a chance (I still have to get around to Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds - man, I hope they're better than this).

I think this was his first starring role - maybe it is terrible because it was an initial attempt to generate something from the shitty bits he used to force into Weekend Update? (I really liked Sandler on SNL but, as with every other cast member, they can't be great 100% of the time, and Billy Madison's opening bit with the tanning lotion was like something shoddy Sandler would've shoehorned into SNL).

Billy Madison surely doesn't hold up. It has it's moments, sure, but it's pretty bad. Waterboy and Happy Gilmore are still solid dumb comedies, and The Wedding Singer is just a good comedy.

In rewatching a lot of comedies from The 90s, I realized that the 90s were filled with totally obnoxious, self-centered douchebag, man children that were somehow heroes and ended up being rewarded for their behavior without really changing all that much. They were usually paired up with attractive and out of their league career women who, in real life, wouldn't even be able to tolerate sharing a bus with these men, let alone falling in love with them. I wrote about this phenomenon when I rewatched Big Daddy, which too is pretty bad on a rewatch.

https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/so-90s-big-daddy

DoctorZaius
11-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Force of Nature - a very mediocre Mel Gibson crime film. Watchable but ultimately disposable. A geriatric Riggs.

allasorte
11-25-2020, 04:12 PM
Fatman
Mel Gibson is Santa, Chance Hurstfield is a spoiled rich kid that got coal for Christmas, and he hires a hitman to take him out, and this is Walter Goggins. You will be surprised to hear that I enjoyed this film. It took the folklore mystic of Santa and added realism with a human aspect to his character. Goggins is obsessed with his childhood and blames Santa, so it the perfect contract for him to take. The realism and lifelike story was surprising, when there was violence it was surprising, and the overall story was direct and yet surprising. The dialogue tended to make it feel like a dark comedy, well sort of. I actually like this film and it is perfect for the holidays :). 4/5

Ricky
11-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Where did you see it? I've been looking forward to it.

Tommy
11-25-2020, 05:13 PM
I liked Host currently on Shudder. A clever quarantine film that utilizes Zoom very well and for being under an hour, we get character development and some pretty good scares. 3/4

allasorte
11-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Tenet
It was amazing and crafted very deceitfully. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be honest, there were storylines I quite didn't understand but I pressed onward. Afterwards, I watched some information about the movie to get a better understanding and appreciation for the film. Regardless of not being fully aware of what I was initially viewing, I still loved it. 4/5.

Merlin1958
11-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Tenet is now available for pre-order 12/15!!!!!

Still Servant
12-02-2020, 06:03 PM

When I saw the first trailer for Antebellum, it instantly became one of my most anticipated films of the year. Unfortunately, Antebellum is the kind of film that really bothers me. It had tons of potential and a really clever premise that was executed so poorly. First, before I get to spoilers, Antebellum has maybe the most misleading trailers you will ever see. They billed it as some kind of supernatural horror film and let it be known it is NOT a horror film. It's a thriller - barely.

The film we should have gotten was a film about a modern, educated, successful black woman who is forced to be a slave and stripped of her humanity. That's an interesting film. Seeing someone come to terms with that and then overcome it.

We never see that. When we meet Veronica, she's already been at the plantation for months and has already acclimated to life as a slave. Not seeing that character arc left me feeling cheated. That's a better movie. Then the film grinds to a screeching halt in the second act. We linger far too long in her "present" day life. When the film picks back up in the 3rd act, it has trouble finding its bearings. On top of that, the twist falls flat for me. It's too basic and it's been done before. The Village anyone?

In the end, we get a beautiful looking film derailed by poor plotting, a generic twist and a trailer that did the film no favors. A waste of potential in my book.

Ricky
12-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Been waiting for you to post, Mike!

Your spoiler is EXACTLY the kind of film I was expecting when I first saw the trailer. The trailer showed a lot of plane shots + people looking to the sky, and I kept thinking it would be Veronica (or the whole plane) somehow traveling back in time and becoming enslaved by the white planation owners. Then it would be how it happened, convincing some of the plantation people or other enslaved peoples what happened, and how they're going to get home. One on level, I wish we would've gotten that film, especially since me thinking that that's what the film would be about was what got me excited about it to begin with. One another level, I was pleasantly surprised it subverted my expectations with the twist. Could it have been executed better, though? Yeah, for sure.

Although I really liked the humor and the different time period (though not really) of the second act, I do agree it was a clumsy shift and a tad too long. I kept thinking that the film would've played better linearly (Veronica as successful/with her friends, then getting kidnapped, then the plantation stuff). It would eliminate the twist, but I don't think that would break the film.

Garrell
12-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Fatman
Mel Gibson is Santa, Chance Hurstfield is a spoiled rich kid that got coal for Christmas, and he hires a hitman to take him out, and this is Walter Goggins. You will be surprised to hear that I enjoyed this film. It took the folklore mystic of Santa and added realism with a human aspect to his character. Goggins is obsessed with his childhood and blames Santa, so it the perfect contract for him to take. The realism and lifelike story was surprising, when there was violence it was surprising, and the overall story was direct and yet surprising. The dialogue tended to make it feel like a dark comedy, well sort of. I actually like this film and it is perfect for the holidays :). 4/5

I agree 100% on this review. Fun, shocking, entertaining and just twisted story telling. I may replace It's a Wonderful Life with Fatman as the go to Xmas movie.:dance:

Still Servant
12-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Ricky, I'm responding to your Antebellum post. The quoting keeps getting F'd up.

I'm surprised you still enjoyed it so much even though you didn't get what you were expecting. That's good though. I always come away disappointed when that happens.

Mank

This pains me. I got to see Mank at the theater yesterday. I'm a huge Fincher fan and have been since I saw The Game when it came out. I've enjoyed all of his films including Alien 3. Like many of the folks here, I love film and film history, so it's natural to think that Mank is going to be an easy like for me. Unfortunately, I'm kind of lukewarm on it.

The film is expertly made, fantastically acted, especially by Oldman and the black and white looked phenomenal on the big screen. It's just kind of dry, especially in the beginning. There's also a lot of inside baseball talk when it comes to old Hollywood that I found myself playing catchup. The same can be said for the political commentary that the film is packed with, more than I would have thought. Unless you are privy to the politics of the 1930s, you're going to be kind of lost too.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the film is missing something.

St. Troy
12-10-2020, 08:07 AM
I finished Billy Madison a while ago...

...now let me say: so far, Billy Madison is fucking atrocious - it is like a Sandler caricature made by someone who hates Sandler, except Sandler actually made this. I'm sticking with it basically so that I can say I gave it a chance (I still have to get around to Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds - man, I hope they're better than this).

...and while it was just as terrible as it seemed when I wrote that, I'll admit there were one or two spots that amused me (Buscemi's bits, the weird subplot with the principal's crush, and Farley's mutton chops). I'm glad I didn't see this when it came out; I might have avoided his later golden stuff like the plague.

I will say that Bradley Whitford did a great job with what he was given (he's a pro); you could say that he and Sandler both played assholes (though different types of asshole), but where Sandler sucked, Whitford nailed his part.

I've always liked Norm MacDonald, but he really didn't add anything here.

It was nice (and a bit unnerving) to see Larry Hankin, who will always be faux-Kramer to me.

And then we had the character Veronica, who was one of those female characters in 90s movies where you're clearly supposed to find her attractive, and while she kinda/sorta was, she also kind of had a weird shape head like something from an old silver dollar (I struggle to name the others, but I've seen this before).

Tommy
12-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Hell House LLC was a lot of fun with some creepy moments. 3/4

And yes, I do sometimes go a bit easy on horror flicks but it's an instinct after seeing so many bad ones, a decent one seems better than it might be.....

Ricky
12-10-2020, 03:29 PM
Watched Anna and the Apocalypse last night and really enjoyed it. What's not to love about a zombie Christmas musical? Well paced, catchy songs, likeable characters. I had some problems with the tone and some plot decisions, but overall it was a fun, easy watch.

DoctorDodge
12-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Shattered Glass (2003)

After rewatching the final season of The Wire with the housemate, we both needed some cheering up. An appropriate movie was Shattered Glass. A key reason for this is that the media was a key focus in that final season - particularly how some reporters prefer to manufacture the news rather than cover it. Shattered Glass is the real-life story of someone who got caught doing just that, in a big way.

I was really impressed with this one. The story starts from the perspective of young journalist Stephen Glass. Played rather well by Hayden Christensen, the film begins from his perspective before gradually shifting to that of his new editor, Chuck Lane (played extremely well by Peter Sarsgaard). What impressed me most was exactly how subtle this transition was, and how necessary. It's easy to see why Glass got away with the stories he covered for so long, as he initially comes across as rather likable, especially compared to the rather humorless Chuck. But over the course of the film, you get a deeper insight into both characters, and you definitely start to sympathize with Chuck more. Especially when he starts to piece together exactly how much of a fraud Glass really is.

The other thing that surprised me was how the film remained intensely focused on breaking down just one of Glass's stories. It seems rather small scale at first, but the more the reporters pull on a loose thread, the bigger the picture you get.

I really enjoyed watching this film. It was well-cast, well made, and it avoided overdramatizing a good, solid story. I liked this one a lot.

Bev Vincent
12-12-2020, 07:13 AM
Let Them All Talk (HBO Max) - very talky movie set on board the Queen Mary as a writer (Meryl Streep) sails to the UK to pick up a literary award, accompanied by two former friends (Diane Wiest and and excellent Candace Bergen), plus her nephew and, unbeknownst to her, her new agent. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, filmed in two weeks with mostly ad-libbed dialog. It's a treat to watch these three veteran actors joust with each other. Might be a bit slow for some, but we liked it.