PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45

fernandito
05-07-2020, 01:19 PM
The Butterfly Effect - 1.5/5
Finally watched this. Any points this film gets is for its premise only (and even that isn't wholly original). Everything about that film is amateur hour; the editing, the ebb and flow of the story, the atrocious acting by Kutcher. Jesus what a clunker.

X:Men - Dark Phoenix - 2/5
Mildly entertaining film which coasts on our knowledge of these characters and their backgrounds, but its clear Fox no longer had any interest in this universe and only made this film to squeeze out the last bit of money from this cash cow before they sold the rights back to Disney. A pity, these characters deserved a much better send off.

Mattrick
05-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Blue Ruin - 3.5/5
Green Room - 4/5

So I went on a Jeremy Saulnier run after seeing all the praise on here. He's definitely a director to keep an eye on, but I don't know if he's on that Ari Aster, Robert Eggers plane yet. Need to see a little more from his films first. Hopefully his next film is a knockout.

No, he's probably not. It's been a long time since we've seen a director come out of the gate like Aster. Recently, Damien Chazelle comes to mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed those two though.

I don't think any director has come out of the gate harder in the past 10 years than Villeneuve...Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner. The last director I can remember to his that sweet spot of critical success and commercial success quite like Villeneuve would be David Fincher. Tarantino too, but more Fincher since Tarantino is more in the auteur sense.

Ricky
05-08-2020, 01:36 PM
I didn't care for the first Zombieland too much (I don't remember thinking it was that funny) so I'm not that eager to check out Double Tap.

Mattrick
05-08-2020, 02:44 PM
I like to give (almost) everything a chance, although there are some movies I refuse to see.
Heck, I even went to see LA LA LAND, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
I did find one thing about LLL amusing, but that one second did not a movie make!

Was it this?

https://scontent.fymy1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96746968_10164056052505571_2247445459876446208_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=iAjkRXAaxOoAX9hecQd&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-2.fna&oh=4d7339e439b39117c8a4e2f128243916&oe=5EDCEC94

Shannon
05-08-2020, 10:08 PM
I loved La La Land.

Shannon
05-09-2020, 04:06 PM
La La Land just didn't work for me. I suppose it's a matter of environment.
No, it's a matter of genetics!
I need to watch that Three Stooges short again to figure it out.
Anyway, I always HATED musicals, then I saw CHICAGO, and I absolutely loved it. I also love BY THE SEA. But I detested MOULIN ROUGE and I could NEVER get past the first five minutes of WEST SIDE STORY. I guess it depends on your mood or --- something else I really can't explain about musicals, or movies with lots of music in them. THE BLUES BROTHERS is on my top 10 favorite movies list.
The part of LA LA LAND that made me laugh was when "John Snow's" eyes popped open in the first musical number on the freeway. I thought that was clever, because I got the joke!

See, I'm the opposite, I LOVE musicals. The gayest straight dude ever, I know, but I can't help it. That being said, out of the handful of musicals I dislike, Chicago is definitely present. Yuck.

Secondly, I just rewatched the freeway scene to figurebout the Jon Snow reference you were talking about, and I'm still lost, lol

And thirdly: https://youtu.be/xVVqlm8Fq3Y

There's no way you, as a film fan, can't appreciate that scene. The song, the choreography, even the camerawork is phenomenal. Explain it to me! Lol

Shannon
05-09-2020, 04:15 PM
The Jon Snow joke was in Jimmy Fallon's La La Land opening number for an awards show, not the actual movie ... Lol

Shannon
05-09-2020, 04:57 PM
1. It happens.
2. I just found the video, it was a parody of the opening number from La La Land for some awards show. Eyes opening, Stranger Things kids rapping, Barb's alive, Justin Timberlake, etc. To have that sort of joke in La La Land would definitely be out of left field as it's not that type of movie.
5. Never saw it, the trailer reminded me a little too much of Big Fat Greek Wedding, Divine Sisters, Travelling Pants movies.

Still Servant
05-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Blue Ruin - 3.5/5
Green Room - 4/5

So I went on a Jeremy Saulnier run after seeing all the praise on here. He's definitely a director to keep an eye on, but I don't know if he's on that Ari Aster, Robert Eggers plane yet. Need to see a little more from his films first. Hopefully his next film is a knockout.

No, he's probably not. It's been a long time since we've seen a director come out of the gate like Aster. Recently, Damien Chazelle comes to mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed those two though.

I don't think any director has come out of the gate harder in the past 10 years than Villeneuve...Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner. The last director I can remember to his that sweet spot of critical success and commercial success quite like Villeneuve would be David Fincher. Tarantino too, but more Fincher since Tarantino is more in the auteur sense.

Can't argue with that.

Watched ZOMBIELAND DOUBLE TAP last night.
I did not care much for the first one, liked this one a little better, actually laughed twice.
The humor is just too sophomoric for me, and even though I don't gross out easily, some of the stuff in this movie made me cringe.
I did like some of the music, which sounded good on my sound system.

This makes no sense. Double Tap is essentially the same film as the original Zombieland. What didn't you like about the first film? To me, if you like one, you should like the other.

I like to give (almost) everything a chance, although there are some movies I refuse to see.
Heck, I even went to see LA LA LAND, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
I did find one thing about LLL amusing, but that one second did not a movie make!

La La Land is fantastic. You don't have to be female to enjoy it. That's just stupid.

Jerrika
05-10-2020, 06:18 PM
I watched The Meddler with Susan Sarandon and Rose Byrne. I would rate it 2.5/5.

Shannon
05-10-2020, 10:27 PM
I apologize for being senseless and stupid and will avoid this thread from now on.

Fight, fight, fight!

My argument is that saying someone has to be female to enjoy a movie IS a stupid thing to say. The only problem with that is that Fernando didn't say that, lol.

Jean
05-11-2020, 11:32 PM
The Butterfly Effect - 1.5/5
Finally watched this. Any points this film gets is for its premise only (and even that isn't wholly original). Everything about that film is amateur hour; the editing, the ebb and flow of the story, the atrocious acting by Kutcher. Jesus what a clunker.
I am so happy you said that. Since I watched it I've had a vague feeling something has to be said. Now I can relax: it has been done, with nothing much to add.

As the ending unfolded, the only thing I could think of was

Roland reaching the top of the Tower and realizing he had to start the journey over again :lol:
Why, of course http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/b6c75874/30324128_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/b6c7587430324128.html). Only the movie is so much more hopeless than that. It makes you think that
no starting over is possible; would be useless anyway. That's what I loved about it: this feeling of total despair, this ultimate anti-christianity, so rare in American movies. No atonement is possible. No repentance matters.

Jean
05-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Looks like I forgot to mention that I saw Hot Fuzz a couple months ago. Same level of greatness as Shaun Of The Deadyou don't say! Shaun was one of the movies where I laughed so hard my belly actually (not metaphorically) hurt. Now feel like I have to watch Hot Fuzz.

Jean
05-11-2020, 11:38 PM
I apologize for being senseless and stupid and will avoid this thread from now on.I hope it is a joke, right? http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)

DoctorDodge
05-12-2020, 03:30 AM
Looks like I forgot to mention that I saw Hot Fuzz a couple months ago. Same level of greatness as Shaun Of The Deadyou don't say! Shaun was one of the movies where I laughed so hard my belly actually (not metaphorically) hurt. Now feel like I have to watch Hot Fuzz.

Oh yes. It's made by the same team as Shaun. In some ways, Hot Fuzz is very different, but has a lot of the same style and comedy.

fernandito
05-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Knives Out - 5/5

Mattrick
05-14-2020, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=fernandito;1195896]

As the ending unfolded, the only thing I could think of was

Roland reaching the top of the Tower and realizing he had to start the journey over again :lol:
Why, of course http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/b6c75874/30324128_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/b6c7587430324128.html). Only the movie is so much more hopeless than that. It makes you think that
no starting over is possible; would be useless anyway. That's what I loved about it: this feeling of total despair, this ultimate anti-christianity, so rare in American movies. No atonement is possible. No repentance matters.

Fernando, did you watch Triangle because of my Hidden Gems list?

As for the ending to Triangle She talks about her autistic son early on in the movie about how everything always has be done in the same way, every day, or he flips out. We end up seeing that she abuses him and treats him like garbage because she just can't deal with him anymore. Much like the myth of Sisyphus that they reference in the film, who has to roll the boulder up the hill only for it to roll back down again, over and over, she too is in a similar hell. In her hell, she is experiencing what it is like to be her son, where everything has to be done the same way over and over again, and just when she's learned her lesson, or about to, she's forced to do it all over again.

fernandito
05-15-2020, 05:59 AM
No, actually my girl is freaking obsessed with time travel type movies (lucky me :)) and she bugged me for days about watching it. I'm glad I finally gave in.

Also, Hidden Gems list? Is that a separate thread? :orely:

As for the ending to Triangle She talks about her autistic son early on in the movie about how everything always has be done in the same way, every day, or he flips out. We end up seeing that she abuses him and treats him like garbage because she just can't deal with him anymore. Much like the myth of Sisyphus that they reference in the film, who has to roll the boulder up the hill only for it to roll back down again, over and over, she too is in a similar hell. In her hell, she is experiencing what it is like to be her son, where everything has to be done the same way over and over again, and just when she's learned her lesson, or about to, she's forced to do it all over again.

Once they started talking about Sisyphus I knew where the story was headed, but it was still heartbreaking to see.

fernandito
05-15-2020, 06:00 AM
The Report - 4/5

Mattrick
05-15-2020, 06:40 AM
No, actually my girl is freaking obsessed with time travel type movies (lucky me :)) and she bugged me for days about watching it. I'm glad I finally gave in.

Your girl knows about obscure films like Triangle and my ex never saw Jurassic Park lol. Enjoy your luck!

Also, Hidden Gems list? Is that a separate thread? :orely:

My hidden Gems of the last decade I put up on my website.

Still Servant
05-15-2020, 12:11 PM
I apologize for being senseless and stupid and will avoid this thread from now on.

That's not what I meant. You're not stupid. It was a stupid comment. It's like saying you have to be a man to like John Wick. Tons of women like films that are aimed towards men. That's all I meant.

Still Servant
05-15-2020, 12:14 PM
No, actually my girl fiancé is freaking obsessed with time travel type movies (lucky me :)) and she bugged me for days about watching it. I'm glad I finally gave in.

I fixed your sentence for you.

Heather19
05-15-2020, 01:06 PM
Feev, I'm pretty positive you seen Timecrimes correct?

webstar1000
05-15-2020, 04:03 PM

That was a great little movie!

webstar1000
05-15-2020, 05:09 PM
The Midnight Meat Train.... wow. Still shocked. 8/10 hard to believe that Bradley Cooper is in this. We loved it. Great movie and the ending? Yessssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattrick
05-15-2020, 09:27 PM
Midnight Meat Train?

Are we reviewing adult films now?

webstar1000
05-16-2020, 01:41 AM
Midnight Meat Train?

Are we reviewing adult films now?

Man check it out on Prime. It’s a violent bloody affair

Heather19
05-16-2020, 05:38 AM
I saw it ages ago, but remember really enjoying it as well.

TnTzDad
05-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Hell or High Water (Trailer) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw) 5/5 (Nothing to do with the fact that it's my neck of the woods.)

DoctorDodge
05-18-2020, 06:34 AM
I watched Color Out of Space today and...well, that was somethin'. :|

The most enjoyable cosmic-horror film I've seen in fucking ages, is what it was.

Agreed. That was a fantastic horror. One of the most anxiety-inducing films I'd seen in a while.

fernandito
05-18-2020, 07:34 AM

Yes of course! Love that movie.

The Midnight Meat Train.... wow. Still shocked. 8/10 hard to believe that Bradley Cooper is in this. We loved it. Great movie and the ending? Yessssss

Dude, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this. Bradley Cooper, Vinnie Jones, based on a Clive Barker story? Oh shit yeah I'm in.

I watched Color Out of Space today and...well, that was somethin'. :|

The most enjoyable cosmic-horror film I've seen in fucking ages, is what it was.

Agreed. That was a fantastic horror. One of the most anxiety-inducing films I'd seen in a while.

You had my curiousity, but now you have my attention. I think I remember seeing this film pop up on my Amazon Prime...

DoctorDodge
05-18-2020, 09:10 AM
In both the cases of Midnight Meat Train and Color Out of Space feev, you're in for a fucking treat.

fernandito
05-18-2020, 09:14 AM
those will be my next 2 films this week :cool:

webstar1000
05-18-2020, 09:36 AM
those will be my next 2 films this week :cool:

Man I couldn’t believe I hadn’t either. It’s an amazing film! Enjoy. I’ll be checking the other out ASAP

Still Servant
05-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Midnight Meat Train is fantastic. I'm surprised more people don't talk about it more.

allasorte
05-18-2020, 05:37 PM
Midnight Meat Train is fantastic. I'm surprised more people don't talk about it more.

I enjoyed it. Re-watched a couple months ago and was trying to get someone from work to watch it. Better then I remember.

divemaster
05-19-2020, 06:06 AM
I watched Triangle last night, based on the comments in this thread. I liked it okay, but not as much as y'all I guess. One thing I picked up on right away, and have not seen mentioned here, is that

Jess' house address is 237. The room # of the cabin on the liner where the bloody mirror and some stabbings take place is also 237.

fernandito
05-19-2020, 08:40 AM
I watched Triangle last night, based on the comments in this thread. I liked it okay, but not as much as y'all I guess. One thing I picked up on right away, and have not seen mentioned here, is that

Jess' house address is 237. The room # of the cabin on the liner where the bloody mirror and some stabbings take place is also 237.

And of course, it's also a nod to The Shining.

Heather19
05-19-2020, 10:08 AM
Watched Crawl the other day. I thought I had heard good things about it, so I gave it a shot, but it was a pretty boring and forgettable movie. Also rewatched Lost Highway. It's been forever since I last saw it. And now I want to go and rewatch most of Lynch's films :D

Mattrick
05-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Crawl was Tarantino's favourite movie of last year.

webstar1000
05-19-2020, 10:53 AM

He didn't watch many movies.

fernandito
05-19-2020, 11:35 AM

He didn't watch many movies.

He was too busy watching women's feet LOL

Still Servant
05-19-2020, 12:45 PM
I really enjoyed Crawl. I thought it had a good pace and kept me interested the entire time. It's a simple film, but they got a lot out of the premise. I'm surprised you found it boring.

webstar1000
05-19-2020, 01:47 PM
I really enjoyed Crawl. I thought it had a good pace and kept me interested the entire time. It's a simple film, but they got a lot out of the premise. I'm surprised you found it boring.

I liked it. It just wasn’t in my top 10
For the year and surely not #1 as Quintin thought.

St. Troy
05-20-2020, 07:10 AM
I recently saw the new Pet Sematary. A decent movie, but not a classic, nothing I'd need to watch again.

I generally prefer it to the first adaptation, the last third of which felt hokey to me (the one thing I preferred about the first film: the burial ground when seen from the air - that thing looked creepy and badass, ordinary yet with a palpable stay away feel).

The changes made didn't bother me too much, possibly because I'm just not invested that much in this story (I liked the book, but I'm not in love with it). The cover of the Ramones' Pet Sematary playing over the credits was pitiful, though (if you have no balls, do not cover the Ramones - you embarrass us all by doing so).

This is the first King adaptation I've watched since the historically awful, embarrassing, and disappointing It Chapter 2. Given that the new PS was neither awful nor embarrassing, it was a giant step up from IC2.

St. Troy
05-20-2020, 07:12 AM
I recently saw The Good Liar. It was a tight story, making great use of top talent (Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen). Strong recommend.

St. Troy
05-20-2020, 07:13 AM
I recently saw Downton Abbey. I suppose it comes down to whether you liked the TV show (as I very much did). It seems odd that this was in theaters; it seems like a perfect 90-minute special episode. Either way, I was just happy to have more, and it was great.

fernandito
05-20-2020, 07:55 AM
I recently saw The Good Liar. It was a tight story, making great use of top talent (Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen). Strong recommend.

This one flew under my radar. Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren, and a con-artist story? I'm down.

Heather19
05-20-2020, 08:29 AM
I recently saw Downton Abbey. I suppose it comes down to whether you liked the TV show (as I very much did). It seems odd that this was in theaters; it seems like a perfect 90-minute special episode. Either way, I was just happy to have more, and it was great.

I really enjoyed it as well, but agree, it did feel like a regular episode. They probably figured they could make way more money off of it by showing it in theaters versus just doing a special episode on tv. Me and my friend went to see it in theaters, and I know several people that actually went to see it multiple times before it left.

Heather19
05-20-2020, 08:36 AM

How on earth was that his favorite movie of the year?!

Yeah, I'll admit that I did fast forward thru a few parts. Especially near the end just because I wanted to see how it ended, even though it was super predictable.

Ricky
05-20-2020, 09:30 AM
I enjoyed The Good Liar as well, but I thought the reveal of the Germany flashback came out of left field and didn't really fit with the rest of the movie.

St. Troy
05-20-2020, 11:41 AM
I enjoyed The Good Liar as well, but I thought the reveal of the Germany flashback came out of left field and didn't really fit with the rest of the movie.

Not that I saw that coming, but

since we already knew Roy had lots of secrets, and Betty seemed like she should be smart enough to avoid his con, it made perfect sense that there was a significant and revelatory layer we weren't shown until later - I thought it fit perfectly.

Merlin1958
05-20-2020, 12:18 PM
Caught a couple of decent one's on Amazon Prime. The first was: Line of Duty I give it a 3.5-4 out of 5 depending on whether you like these kinds of flicks. Lotsa action crime film stars Aaron Eckhart. The film also incorporates current internet/media/tech reporting angle that gives it a nice twist.

Second one I found is a sort of mini-series with a little different angle on drug trafficking titled "ZeroZeroZero" starring, Gabriel Byrne of "Usual Suspects" fame. The film looks at the trade from primarily the wholesale angle of international shipment and has some nice twists. I gave it a 3 out of 5 though it has much better production values than "Narco's" IMO. I enjoyed it though I think I've pretty much had my limit on Drug trafficking films/statements.

Both are worth a look and a shitload of popcorn!! lol :sharepopcorn:

Ricky
05-20-2020, 02:37 PM

Not that I saw that coming, but

since we already knew Roy had lots of secrets, and Betty seemed like she should be smart enough to avoid his con, it made perfect sense that there was a significant and revelatory layer we weren't shown until later - I thought it fit perfectly.

I agree about a 3rd act revelation coming, I just wasn't it expecting it to be that. But yes, early on I had considered the possibility that Betty was playing Roy, but I didn't know why or how until the big reveal.

DoctorDodge
05-20-2020, 02:57 PM

How on earth was that his favorite movie of the year?!

In some ways, that doesn't surprise me. Tarantino certainly has some interesting taste in movies. I think what he's very good at doing is taking all the things that directly appeal to him from such a wide range of genres and presenting all of it to us in a new and distinctive way.

webstar1000
05-20-2020, 03:15 PM
The Wrong Missy. I don’t care what anyone says... I laughed far to much at this flick. Haha

fernandito
05-20-2020, 03:22 PM
I actively stay away from anything Adam Sandler and his little lackeys are creatively overseeing. Is he still doing dick and fart jokes?

webstar1000
05-20-2020, 03:27 PM
I actively stay away from anything Adam Sandler and his little lackeys are creatively overseeing. Is he still doing dick and fart jokes?

Sandler? He isn’t in this ...

It’s funny. Really is. Give it a go. Netflix

fernandito
05-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Didn't he produce it under his Happy Madison company? We all know what we're getting when we see that logo pop up lol.

It's tempting but, at 36% RT score... I'll just have to pass :redface:

webstar1000
05-20-2020, 03:46 PM
Didn't he produce it under his Happy Madison company? We all know what we're getting when we see that logo pop up lol.

It’s mindless fun. Let me put it this way... other than Sandlers Oscar contender movie... I haven’t liked a single thing he has done in YEARS. This was funny. And we laughed... a lot. Watch the first 15 mins. See if you laugh to:) might be surprised my friend

Ricky
05-20-2020, 03:51 PM
I understand the trepidation around Sandler's comedy, but I really was pleasantly surprised by Murder Mystery last summer. I laughed a lot.

Jean
05-21-2020, 02:04 AM
As for the ending to Triangle She talks about her autistic son early on in the movie about how everything always has be done in the same way, every day, or he flips out. We end up seeing that she abuses him and treats him like garbage because she just can't deal with him anymore. Much like the myth of Sisyphus that they reference in the film, who has to roll the boulder up the hill only for it to roll back down again, over and over, she too is in a similar hell. In her hell, she is experiencing what it is like to be her son, where everything has to be done the same way over and over again, and just when she's learned her lesson, or about to, she's forced to do it all over again.Precisely.

wow. Never noticed it (watched twice)

Jean
05-21-2020, 02:11 AM
Days of Heaven

Bears are still under impression, still feeling uneasy, still distressed. Wow.

I wasn’t very hopeful after I read the description. I suspected it would be very American and very… magnificent, if you see what I mean. I’d seen dozens of those, some of them superclassic: with the fields, golden wheat, green pastures, from sea to shining sea, and ponderous self-importance sprouting from the very impeccable harmony the director contrived to create in every frame. As if, you know, the earth itself breathes the glorious history, and may my American friends forgive me, all that epic grandeur is as a rule rather annoying. That’s what I kinda expected.

Fat chance.

True, every frame is more perfect than perfection itself. And at the same time every one is – hard to find the right word – as if marred by a jarring personal note, as if a worm of destiny is eating this ideal apple from inside. What you see is never a centerpiece, it is never balanced, never propped by anything logical around it: it is always random, always gone way too fast, and scratching you with its sharp edge while going. As if everything is caught in the process of falling, just one moment because it hits some unspeakable bottom and smashes to smithereens – for ever.

This feeling of alarm, of doom is very personal, as any story of death should be. Everything about this film is about its rhythm; not full, free breathing, but a labored, intermittent gasping of a dying man. It’s the uneven heartbeat of guilty conscience, of what is wrong and never can be put right. Nothing sits firmly on its bottom; everything slides down to hell.

This movie does not have a good story (allusions aside) or a good dialog; neither does it need those. I personally prefer the films which do need – and have - story and dialog, but this is because my type of cinema is cinema-prose, and this is cinema-poetry. One does not expect a sculptor to set his oeuvres to music, or a composer to photograph his symphonies. And, although it is not my type of film, this particular movie will stay with me forever as one of my favorites.

Thank you kingfan2323, and many bearhugs.

kingfan2323
05-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Days of Heaven

I wasn’t very hopeful after I read the description. I suspected it would be very American and very… magnificent, if you see what I mean. I’d seen dozens of those, some of them superclassic: with the fields, golden wheat, green pastures, from sea to shining sea, and ponderous self-importance sprouting from the very impeccable harmony the director contrived to create in every frame. As if, you know, the earth itself breathes the glorious history, and may my American friends forgive me, all that epic grandeur is as a rule rather annoying. That’s what I kinda expected.

Fat chance.

True, every frame is more perfect than perfection itself. And at the same time every one is – hard to find the right word – as if marred by a jarring personal note, as if a worm of destiny is eating this ideal apple from inside. What you see is never a centerpiece, it is never balanced, never propped by anything logical around it: it is always random, always gone way too fast, and scratching you with its sharp edge while going. As if everything is caught in the process of falling, just one moment because it hits some unspeakable bottom and smashes to smithereens – for ever.

This feeling of alarm, of doom is very personal, as any story of death should be. Everything about this film is about its rhythm; not full, free breathing, but a labored, intermittent gasping of a dying man. It’s the uneven heartbeat of guilty conscience, of what is wrong and never can be put right. Nothing sits firmly on its bottom; everything slides down to hell.

This movie does not have a good story (allusions aside) or a good dialog; neither does it need those. I personally prefer the films which do need – and have - story and dialog, but this is because my type of cinema is cinema-prose, and this is cinema-poetry. One does not expect a sculptor to set his oeuvres to music, or a composer to photograph his symphonies. And, although it is not my type of film, this particular movie will stay with me forever as one of my favorites.

Thank you kingfan2323, and many bearhugs.Awww. . . A bear hug? Cannot beat that. The best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey. His 10th and newest film, A Hidden Life, is out on Blu Ray now.

seeking: anything DT related #246

fernandito
05-21-2020, 08:12 AM

It’s mindless fun. Let me put it this way... other than Sandlers Oscar contender movie... I haven’t liked a single thing he has done in YEARS. This was funny. And we laughed... a lot. Watch the first 15 mins. See if you laugh to:) might be surprised my friend

Okay Webs, for you I'll give it a shot ;) I'll scope out the first 20 minutes later today during my lunch break.

webstar1000
05-21-2020, 08:13 AM
We Have to Talk About Kevin... holy hell I could not stop this movie and had to hit the sac... BUT will finish it before bed this evening. SO unsettling!!!

fernandito
05-21-2020, 08:13 AM
Days of Heaven

Fat chance.

The power of Terrence Malick! Truly one of a kind director. I haven't seen this film for at least 10 years. You've inspired me to go back and revisit it.

Mattrick
05-21-2020, 08:21 AM

From what I've heard it's the most competent thing he's produced under Netflix. It's not perfect, but the few reviews i've read said it offered some laughs and didn't feel insulted as you watched it. I imagine Jennifer Aniston wouldn't sign on to do anything abjectly awful...even Just Go With It was a decent Adam Sandler comedy and they do have a natural chemistry on screen.

Randall Flagg
05-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Viewed it last night and I agree. It was mindless fun, and a welcome relief in these trying times to laugh out loud. Thanks for the tip.

webstar1000
05-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Viewed it last night and I agree. It was mindless fun, and a welcome relief in these trying times to laugh out loud. Thanks for the tip.

I think she has some comedic fire to her. I loved her comedy.. hope to see more of her:) Glad you had a laugh. I agree.. it was nice!

Merlin1958
05-21-2020, 09:10 AM

AMEN!!! The guy had the one fairly decent film (Happy Gilmore) and IMO has had a series of bombs since. I'm sure many will disagree, but I feel the same way about, Will Ferrell movies. As long as we're at it how the fuck does, M Night Shamyalan (however the hell you spell it) keep getting funded. He had "Sixth Sense" and has since had more bomb's than were dropped on Dresden. "I see Movie Flops"!!! LOL

Just for the record this is simply my opinion. I just don't see the attraction for these guys. Obviously, I'm in a minority as they are all rich as hell!!!

Ricky
05-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Okay, I'll add The Wrong Missy to my list as well. I'm always down for a comedy.

Watched Fantasy Island last night. It wasn't bad, but it was too long and there was just so much stuff going on it was like 4 different competing movies in one. Like a lot of the reviews say, there's a good movie hidden in there somewhere.

Garrell
05-21-2020, 09:33 AM
The Wrong Missy is so wrong......you have to laugh. Lauren Lapkus makes the movie work and she herself is worth it. Stupid, silly, fun and predictable. Makes you laugh out loud:)

Ricky
05-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Is it a "clean" comedy, as in not relying on sex and language for its humor?

Garrell
05-21-2020, 02:57 PM
LOL. No, she has a sailor's mouth. Her unfiltered mouth is humor in itself.

webstar1000
05-21-2020, 03:10 PM
LOL. No, she has a sailor's mouth. Her unfiltered mouth is humor in itself.

Oh man.... her demon thing. I couldn’t stop laughing. Some of the shit she does just killed us. We laughed so hard in parts. It was fun. We loved it. Most I’ve laughed at a movie in a long ass time!

allasorte
05-21-2020, 06:11 PM
I haven't seen anyone write or mention this, so I will ask as I have not seen it.
Capone starring Tom Hardy.....anyone see it yet? Thoughts? Thanks

Mattrick
05-21-2020, 07:10 PM
I watched some of that new David Spade movie. It is without a doubt the worst thing I've ever seen. Every joke was super choreographed like "Hey, we're doing a joke" but there was never a joke. That woman in it is just the absolute worst thing in the history of cinema. Move over Jar Jar Binks. She just screams unfunny things. Omg she says inappropriate stuff loudly and is embarrassing David Spade who has zero personality what a wacky scenario! The ongoing joke of Geoff Pierson not knowing David Spade's name yet no one is smart enough to know this raving lunatic isn't actually Miss Maryland. And she falls off the 100 foot cliff and survives like nothing happened? I watched about 20 minutes and she raped David Spade twice which is funny, I guess? oh she's so wacky.

This movie made Jack and Jill look appealing.

Aremag
05-21-2020, 09:14 PM
I forced myself to watch the whole movie and I agree with Mattrick. One of the worst movies I tortured myself with.

webstar1000
05-22-2020, 03:45 AM
I bet you guys are fun at parties.

Aremag
05-22-2020, 04:49 AM

Hey I like dumb movies as much as the next person. I love Land Of The Lost and I don't think I've met anyone else who does including Will Ferrell fans. I can honestly say I didn't laugh at all during The Wrong Missy and I've found Lauren Lapkus and David Spade funny in other projects. Different views makes the world a better place.

webstar1000
05-22-2020, 05:14 AM

Hey I like dumb movies as much as the next person. I love Land Of The Lost and I don't think I've met anyone else who does including Will Ferrell fans. I can honestly say I didn't laugh at all during The Wrong Missy and I've found Lauren Lapkus and David Spade funny in other projects. Different views makes the world a better place.

That they do.

I didn't really laugh much at Spade.. but I really liked her. She was funny I thought:)

Randall Flagg
05-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Just debuted today on Netflix is "Lovebirds". I haven't seen it yet, but it's getting good reviews.

Mattrick
05-22-2020, 10:52 AM

This movie is in no way related to a party.

Still Servant
05-23-2020, 12:08 PM

AMEN!!! The guy had the one fairly decent film (Happy Gilmore) and IMO has had a series of bombs since. I'm sure many will disagree, but I feel the same way about, Will Ferrell movies. As long as we're at it how the fuck does, M Night Shamyalan (however the hell you spell it) keep getting funded. He had "Sixth Sense" and has since had more bomb's than were dropped on Dresden. "I see Movie Flops"!!! LOL

Just for the record this is simply my opinion. I just don't see the attraction for these guys. Obviously, I'm in a minority as they are all rich as hell!!!

Can someone please copy and paste this so Bill can see it? Nobody wants to correct him because everyone is afraid of him. Or maybe everyone just ignores him. You don't have to say it came from me.

M. Night has been on a roll in recent years. The Visit wasn't a huge film, but it made money and restored M. Night's name. Split then made $278.5 million. Glass then made $247 million.

As for Sandler, even the biggest Sandler haters agree that The Wedding Singer was good. Even a film like 50 First dates was good. Then we have some of his more serious films like Punch Drunk Love and last year's Uncut Gems. You also can't say "In my opinion he's had a series of bombs." That's not an opinion. Love him or hate him, there is factual evidence that shows he's had quite a few box office successes.

Don't copy and paste this part but this is what I can't stand about this guy. I've never seen someone who knows so little about so much yet acts like he knows everything. Also, he's cringeworthy with his attempt at humor. "I see movie flops." Really?

Mattrick
05-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Sandler is like the most successful guy in Hollywood. The two Grown Ups movies made nearly 550 million worldwide box office...as fucking depressing as that is. The Paul Blart movies he wasn't even in made nearly 400 million worldwide. His Netflix deal is disgusting. Even Jack and Jill brought in 150 million.

In terms of his good comedies there's Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer, Just Go With It, and Little Nicky... and I kind of like Zohan for some reason. His dramas are usually solid...Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems, Reign Over Me, Spanglish. I've got Meyorwitz Stories on my queue.

I hate Sandler as a lazy ass filmmaker/producer who just gives his friends a bunch of money for slap dick comedies that are feature length resort ads with a "story " that people inexplicably pay to see.

webstar1000
05-23-2020, 05:21 PM
Just debuted today on Netflix is "Lovebirds". I haven't seen it yet, but it's getting good reviews.

Not bad at all! I laughed harder at Missy.. but this was ok!

Randall Flagg
05-23-2020, 08:02 PM
I viewed it today and it was amusing, and at 89 minutes didn't wear out it's welcome. I'd give it 4/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Jean
05-24-2020, 02:11 AM
We Have to Talk About Kevin... holy hell I could not stop this movie and had to hit the sac... BUT will finish it before bed this evening. SO unsettling!!! did you read the book? it is really really good

The power of Terrence Malick! Truly one of a kind director. I haven't seen this film for at least 10 years. You've inspired me to go back and revisit it.

Awww. . . A bear hug? Cannot beat that. The best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey. His 10th and newest film, A Hidden Life, is out on Blu Ray now.

http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)

there are so many more things to say about that movie, which still does not loosen its hold on bears; among them, the incredible, formidable, tremendously terrific and disquieting performance by Linda Manz, whom I had never seen before. I close my eyes and see her turning those cartwheels. Or smoking. Or just looking with those eyes.

...and one of the most powerful endings in cinema history
...and the music. Oh hell.

kingfan2323
05-24-2020, 02:17 AM
We Have to Talk About Kevin... holy hell I could not stop this movie and had to hit the sac... BUT will finish it before bed this evening. SO unsettling!!! did you read the book? it is really really good

Awww. . . A bear hug? Cannot beat that. The best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey. His 10th and newest film, A Hidden Life, is out on Blu Ray now.

http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/098b4df7/30324127_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/098b4df730324127.html)

there are so many more things to say about that movie, which still does not loosen its hold on bears; among them, the incredible, formidable, tremendously terrific and disquieting performance by Linda Manz, whom I had never seen before. I close my eyes and see her turning those cartwheels. Or smoking. Or just looking with those eyes.

...and one of the most powerful endings in cinema history
...and the music. Oh hell.So glad you loved it, Jean. What the next Malick movie for you?

Jean
05-24-2020, 02:26 AM
any that comes first. I am now downloading all Malik I can lay my paws on.

Tommy
05-24-2020, 06:12 AM
Days of Heaven

Fat chance.

Beautiful review, Bears! I have not seen that film in ages but it's never left me. The part about Malick being cinema-poetry got me because that is almost exactly what I said to my friends after leaving one of his films we saw in the theater. Most good films are "novels" but Malick's films are "poems". :thumbsup:

mae
05-24-2020, 06:13 AM
Can't wait to see how Days of Heaven does in our 1970s tournament next year!

Tommy
05-24-2020, 06:21 AM

One I will gladly re-watch. :thumbsup: Badlands too.

Still Servant
05-24-2020, 10:00 AM

I picked up Days of Heaven on laserdisc a while back. Malick's films are not easy watches for me, so I have no idea when I will be in the mood for it.

Has anyone seen his 2019 film A Hidden Life? I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Heather19
05-25-2020, 08:02 AM
Is it bad that I don't think I've seen a Terrence Malick movie. I tried to watch Tree of Life but I don't think I made it through it. :|

Still Servant
05-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Is it bad that I don't think I've seen a Terrence Malick movie. I tried to watch Tree of Life but I don't think I made it through it. :|

If you couldn't make it through Tree of Life, then I wouldn't go out of my way to try anything else he's directed. Tree of Life is his most accessible film if you ask me.

webstar1000
05-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Has anyone viewed Hardy's Capone yet?

Ricky
05-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Tree of Life is his most accessible film if you ask me.

:o

That's the only one of his I've seen and I haven't been in any hurry to see another one.

mae
05-25-2020, 11:12 AM
My favorite of his is The New World.

Jerrika
05-25-2020, 11:16 AM
I watched Wild for the 3rd time. I would give it 5/5. Also, I have that Simon & Garfunkel song stuck in my head.

mae
05-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Oh and this is really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAw9MJeeGdA

Mattrick
05-25-2020, 04:29 PM
Thin Red Line is Malicks most accessible film as it's basically just a Malicky war film.

kingfan2323
05-25-2020, 04:34 PM
Has anyone viewed Hardy's Capone yet?I have been wondering about this one as well, Kris. It got atrocious reviews but I am curious. I really like Hardy as well. If u see it let me know. I'll do the same.

mae
05-25-2020, 04:43 PM

Not bad at all! I laughed harder at Missy.. but this was ok!

Haven't watched that one yet, but just watched another new Netflix movie The Half of It and loved it. Great heartfelt story, much like the director's previous film Saving Face which I also loved. Too bad she hasn't been able to direct more movies.

Tommy
05-25-2020, 07:19 PM

If you couldn't make it through Tree of Life, then I wouldn't go out of my way to try anything else he's directed. Tree of Life is his most accessible film if you ask me.

Really?? I think Badlands is his most accessible film by far.

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 08:02 AM
I just saw Collateral Beauty, which is mainly about grief but covers other parts of life as well. The cast includes Will Smith, Helen Mirren, Kate Winslet, Naomie Harris, Edward Norton (it seems I dislike every character he plays...), Michael Pena, and Keira Knightley (has her head always been that strangely shaped?). I quite liked this.

This is the second Helen Mirren movie I've recently seen (the other being The Good Liar). I'll just say this once and then move on: she gives me certain...conflicting feelings.

Still Servant
05-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Thin Red Line is Malicks most accessible film as it's basically just a Malicky war film.

Read soul-crushingly boring. I have made a promise to Feev to revisit this one though.

Randall Flagg
05-26-2020, 03:12 PM

Read soul-crushingly boring. I have made a promise to Feev to revisit this one though.
I agree. It was like watching an iceberg melt in real time.

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 05:39 PM
Just watched An American Werewolf In London for the first time since the mid-80s.

A few takeaways:
1) David Naughton is...not a good actor.
2) Hey! Rik from The Young Ones!
3) The number of songs referencing moons etc. in the soundtrack is embarrassing - we get it, we get it - especially Van Morrison's Moondance when David and Nurse Price were getting familiar, which was downright uncomfortable.
4) The dream sequence still holds up.
5) I enjoyed this movie a hell of a lot more when I was 15.

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 05:40 PM

I recall it being quite boring as well, but I watched it during one of our pre-A/C summers, which meant we had like 3 fans going full tilt during the whole movie (I think I missed 96% of the dialogue).

fernandito
05-27-2020, 08:41 AM

Can you ban Mike? And then ban yourself? Thanks.

Mattrick
05-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Thin Red Line kicks ass. It should've won Best Picture. I wish I could see the original like 6 hour cut.

fernandito
05-28-2020, 08:13 AM
Color Out of Space - 3/5
Uncut Gems - 4/5

webstar1000
05-28-2020, 08:17 AM
Color Out of Space - 3/5
Uncut Gems - 4/5

Color out of space.... what platform did you view it on?

fernandito
05-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Amazon Prime, had to rent it for $3.99. Not sure if it was worth it though... I mean I guess it was alright. That ending is fucking bananas.

Ricky
05-28-2020, 02:38 PM
That ending is fucking bananas.

Indeed it is. Reminded me a lot of the ending of King's Revival.

MikeDuke
05-28-2020, 02:43 PM

I like the movie, but if I could give you rep for YOUR feelings on it I would. That caused an ear to ear smile.

Mattrick
05-29-2020, 01:28 PM
So I was (fortunate) enough to get to seen Bruce McDonald's new film, Dreamland, early, and "attend" a livestream Q and A with the filmmakers and cast, which was an infinitely better experience than watching the film was. I have no idea what this movie was supposed to be. For those who have seen McDonald's earlier film, Pontypool, and watched the post credits Coda, this film was basically a Pontypool sequel based on that. And I was excited for that idea because I loved that Coda...but the film is just an incoherent mess. Stephen McHattie, who I really like, is genuinely quite awful in this movie. There's not of his usual fire or menace to his performance. Lisa Houle from Pontypool gets like nothing to do. Henry Rollins was okay. His character was pretty dumb, so it's hard to judge. The two best performances in the film were Juliette Lewis and whoever plays her vampire brother and the entertainment quality of the movie immensely picked up whenever they were on screen. Shame they're in the movie so little.

But as for what the movie is, I don't even know. It's tough to follow what's happening and not in that its subtle and ambiguous way that I like, but in that incoherent mess kind of way. Like I get that it's all supposed to be like a dreamworld, but it's all so forced and not really executed that well...other films have pulled of that kind of atmosphere far better like Marc Fosters Stay and Richard Ayoade's The Double. There was some entertaining stuff in the last few minutes because it's like they really had no idea how to end it, so they just went crazy. Visually, it wasn't even that interesting yet it seemed like McDonald was trying to be really visually interesting and none of it landed for me.

The worst crime this movie commits is that's it's boring. I didn't find it engaging at all, especially with McHattie's sluglike performance filling most of the runtime. It's a shame too because of how much I love Pontypool that I was hoping for something totally different yet still entertaining. Instead I got 90 minutes of general boredom. A few people in the chat for the Live Q+A were saying it was better than Pontypool. I think those people were on the dope.

Still Servant
05-29-2020, 02:14 PM

Can you ban Mike? And then ban yourself? Thanks.

That's fine with me. I will die on that hill.

Merlin1958
05-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Just watched "Arkansas" which was a decent flick. Lots of "Star Power" in this. Vince Vaughn, The "Other" Hemsworth brother and John Malkovich. Crime drama centered around drug dealing by the "Dixie Mafia". I suppose I'd give it a 3.5 of 5 rating. It's a $5.99 rental on DTV

Garrell
05-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Watched Arkansas also. Worth seeing because of the actors but a forgettable movie. It needed the story to go somewhere if that makes any sense.

divemaster
05-31-2020, 03:23 PM
...and whoever plays her vampire brother...

That's all I needed to read. No thanks!

(And I didn't much like Pontypool either)

Jean
06-01-2020, 02:33 AM
The part about Malick being cinema-poetry got me because that is almost exactly what I said to my friends after leaving one of his films we saw in the theater. Most good films are "novels" but Malick's films are "poems". :thumbsup:
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)

I can't conceive of you not loving (if the word is applicable) A Hidden Life or Days of Heaven.

Has anyone seen his 2019 film A Hidden Life?
Yes. And I am planning to write one of those endlessly long reviews bears are notorious for.

But so far here's the shortest review I've ever written:

Now bears officially have one more favorite director.
The end.

Jean
06-01-2020, 02:41 AM
My favorite of his is The New World.

Really?? I think Badlands is his most accessible film by far.

do you guys remember that feeling... when you're hungry and finally come to a big dinner, with the table all set will all kinds of fantastic dishes? And you sit down, put a napkin on your lap, get a fork and a knife, and there's that smile of anticipation and bliss on your face? That's what bears look like now.

Jean
06-01-2020, 02:43 AM
(And I didn't much like Pontypool either)nooooooo it can't be true! http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/7ef49d44/30324129_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/7ef49d4430324129.html)

St. Troy
06-02-2020, 08:16 AM
First, a word about process:

I tend to watch most movies with the family members that are always around (wife + 1 daughter). We all enjoy horror movies, although I enjoy them more than they do. One consequence is that I will record (DVR) movies that everyone agrees they want to see, but then it takes time (sometimes a year!) before everyone is ready to watch.

On to the movies:

About two weeks ago, we finally got around to watching Get Out, which I'd recorded around a year ago (and which has since begun appearing on broadcast TV). We all liked that, so we watched Us the following night (an impromptu Jordan Peele weekend).

In both movies, the presence of racial subtext is perfectly obvious, but isn't why I watch any horror movie. Still, in Get Out, it's impossible to avoid thinking about ordinary non-horror movie bad things that Chris could've had to deal with...

...when the police car appeared at the end, if it hadn't been his buddy Rod, it wouldn't have taken a cop in cahoots with the Armitage family to spell Chris' end, just a regular small-town asshole cop.

...but aside from thinking about Get Out only in racial terms, any horror movie that makes intelligent use of ordinary features of the environment to add to the dread is generally well-written, as this was, and the background of a highly socially awkward environment in which the outsider - in this case, Chris, as a black boyfriend introduced to a white family and large circle of white friends - must feel unsure of every move, and in which no one quite knows what to say, is an absolute perfect backdrop against which to build an increasingly tense narrative that allows for the viewer to wonder how much he/she is imagining and what is real.

Which is all to say, ignoring whatever analysis Get Out inevitably invites, it was a hell of a horror film - it even handled humor in the right ways, with Rod's funny moments - and immediately made me interested in Peele and his future work (and made me weep - okay, "weep" is a bit strong, but anyway - weep for the introduction to Suntup's Rosemary's Baby that we didn't get (not that I have a copy of that - I don't, and I don't expect to); I'm really interested in what he has to say.

It's always a pleasure to watch a movie in which another viewer might say "nothing is happening," all the while I can't tear my eyes from the screen (Signs is my favorite example of this) - that is great film making.

Also:

It's an open question as to whether a given horror movie is better, more effective etc., if the protagonist wins (overcomes the horror) or if the horror remains. All I know is that I was rooting hard for Chris and it was great to see him - and Rod - win.

Random thoughts:
- It was amusing to see Bradley Whitford basically playing his liberal self during the pre-"reveal as baddie" part of the film; this wasn't acting, this is who he is, ready to suck Obama's toes :redface: at a moment's notice.
- Jeremy Armitage was really f*cking annoying, wasn't he?

It was particularly satisfying to see Chris kick Jeremy's ass late in the film.

Anyway, on to Us:

Although I preferred Get Out, I very much enjoyed Us (my two co-viewers, however, didn't enjoy it as much, despite finding it interesting). Having said that, the argument for Us as the superior film could easily be made, given all that it did - this was no sophomore slump; this was another very strong movie. (And given how good these were, it doesn't matter which is better).

Same general thoughts about it being a great horror film with racial subtext etc., and wildly unpredictable (not that Get Out was predictable) - things developed too fast to allow time for building intelligent theories about what was going on and why (for me, at least).

I did like the end, and it made for an interesting contrast with Get Out, in that:

...while our heroes - the Wilson family - survived, we learn that Red and Adelaide aren't who we thought they were, the "tethered" and the horror of the government's having created them - aren't going anywhere.

To sum up: I love good horror movies, but find it difficult to find ones I really like, and these not only were great to watch (I should add: the acting was top-notch in both), but excited me for Peele's future in the genre.

fernandito
06-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Those are some great write ups, Troy. Even though Get Out is on a slightly higher rung of the ladder than Us, both are fantastic films. To think that these are Peele's first two films and he's already found a strong directorial voice should bode well for us, the movie going public. Can't wait to see what he does next.

St. Troy
06-02-2020, 10:07 AM
To think that these are Peele's first two films and he's already found a strong directorial voice should bode well for us, the movie going public.

Yes! "Strong directorial voice" - that's it; I felt like I was in the hands of a professional the whole time, with both.

Still Servant
06-02-2020, 02:05 PM
I'm really strict about what I consider a horror film. Both Us and Get Out are more thrillers to me than horror films.

Heather19
06-03-2020, 06:55 AM
To think that these are Peele's first two films and he's already found a strong directorial voice should bode well for us, the movie going public.

Yes! "Strong directorial voice" - that's it; I felt like I was in the hands of a professional the whole time, with both.

I definitely felt the same, and I'm excited to see more films from him.

allasorte
06-03-2020, 01:44 PM
I'm really strict about what I consider a horror film. Both Us and Get Out are more thrillers to me than horror films.

I agree with that statement. :)

fernandito
06-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Thrillers with horror elements.

divemaster
06-03-2020, 05:33 PM
(And I didn't much like Pontypool either)nooooooo it can't be true! http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/7ef49d44/30324129_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/7ef49d4430324129.html)

Sorry, Jean! :(

I thought it started out interesting, and had promise through the middle, but I just couldn't buy in to the whole premise of the "virus" or whatever. Once it lost me, I started seeing the flaws. (I'm typically blind to flaws if I'm enthralled with a movie). Although I didn't care for the last 30 minutes very much, I still see that I gave it 3 stars (out of 5), which is a pretty decent rating on my scale.

allasorte
06-04-2020, 03:13 PM

And because of this site I watched Pontypool and enjoyed the different take/aspect of it. I really enjoyed it.

Mattrick
06-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Pontypool is great.

I wish I could say the same for the 1995 adaptation of The Scarlet Letter starring Demi Moore. Move over, The Lost World, this is officially the worst adaptation I have ever seen. Literally the first near 80 minutes of the movie aren't from the novel, then basically everything about the novel has changed. The acting is pretty poor, the editing is atrocious, and nothing about this movie works. Roger Ebert started his review of this film with this sentence: "This will not do". I quite agree.

fernandito
06-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Thelma - 3/5
Moonlight - 4.5/5

Mattrick
06-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Moonlight only a 4/5? :'(

fernandito
06-10-2020, 08:56 AM
I updated it to 4.5, that's more accurate. There's just a couple of things that kept it from being a perfect film. The film lost a strong driving force after Ali's exit in the first act, and some of the child actors couldn't quite convey the gravitas needed in some scenes. Everything else was great though, such a powerful film.

Mattrick
06-10-2020, 09:41 AM
I still need to take the scene where Chiron walks into the school and the camera follows him the whole way into the classroom and add Goldberg's theme over it.

fernandito
06-10-2020, 09:55 AM
LMAO. Dude, please do!

fernandito
06-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Under The Shadow - 4/5

webstar1000
06-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Speaking of Vietnam. Da 5 Bloods. This may be the best movie the summer without much going on in theatres! We loved it. Highly recommend this movie.

Mattrick
06-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Under The Shadow - 4/5

That's about what I felt about it. I really enjoyed the story itself, but I wish it had more on the horror end. I like dramatic horrors, but I want more horror than that one.

Mattrick
06-12-2020, 06:33 PM
I finally got around to watch Eighth Grade, which was a very delightful coming of age story about kids growing up these days. It really made me reflect quite a bit in how much things have changed in the 20 years since I was in middle school...middle schools doesn't even EXIST here anymore. All the schools went Kindergarten to Grade 8...my grade 7 year was the last grade 7 year in a middle school and I was in a K-8 school to finish elementary school. Burnham does a solid job with letting images and the performances do the talking so it's pretty underwritten, mostly saving what the film is trying to saying for Kayla's vlog posts on YouTube which are peppered throughout the movie, which functions quite well as a narrative device. There's quite a bit of humour, a few scenes that tug at the heart strings, a few disturbing moments along the way as well.

This is the kind of film that I think is very important for young kids to watch so they can reflect on their own life during this period of transition into adolescence, but it's probably more important for their parents to watch it to really get a grasp of the massive world their kids exist in. My generation is about the last generation who grew up on the internet yet also knows of the world without the internet, or at least a world not dominated by the internet. The kids growing up now don't have that dichotomy of real world and digital world...it's all one in the same for them.

I'm not quite sure if Eighth Grade is a 4 or a 5 until I watch it. For not I'm giving it a tentative 4/5.

Still Servant
06-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Speaking of Vietnam. Da 5 Bloods. This may be the best movie the summer without much going on in theatres! We loved it. Highly recommend this movie.

We watched a different movie.

Movie theaters are closed. I haven't been to a movie in over 3 months. Just typing that out seems weird to me still. When I heard that Spike Lee's new joint was going to drop on Netflix, I was instantly excited. A new film from a name brand director, sign me up. I really enjoyed the trailer as well. It gave me Three Kings vibes, a film I really adore.

Unfortunately, Da 5 Bloods is an absolute mess from the start to the very end of its bloated 2 and a half plus hours. I love Lee's work, but this effort is a shell of his previous films. Bad dialogue, poor plotting, clunky scene transitions, ridiculously convenient twists. Many of the plot devices are telegraphed from a mile away. There's a death scene that I actually laughed at because it felt like it was a Monty Python sketch. You could also see it coming from a mile away.

Da 5 Bloods can't decide if it wants to be a heist film, a war film, a documentary, or a geriatric buddy comedy. Maybe one of the biggest missteps for me was using the same aged actors in the flashback scenes with no de-aging. It just looked plain silly. Da 5 Bloods is one of the bigger disappointments for me in a long time.

fernandito
06-15-2020, 08:03 AM

I'm tryna watch that this week. In the mood for a good heist film with some Spike-powered social commentary.

Under The Shadow - 4/5

That's about what I felt about it. I really enjoyed the story itself, but I wish it had more on the horror end. I like dramatic horrors, but I want more horror than that one.
Yeah, it needed just a bit more impetus on the horror front but I still enjoyed it. The war torn setting definitely helped.

Movie theaters are closed. I haven't been to a movie in over 3 months. Just typing that out seems weird to me still. When I heard that Spike Lee's new joint was going to drop on Netflix, I was instantly excited. A new film from a name brand director, sign me up. I really enjoyed the trailer as well. It gave me Three Kings vibes, a film I really adore.

Unfortunately, Da 5 Bloods is an absolute mess from the start to the very end of its bloated 2 and a half plus hours. I love Lee's work, but this effort is a shell of his previous films. Bad dialogue, poor plotting, clunky scene transitions, ridiculously convenient twists. Many of the plot devices are telegraphed from a mile away. There's a death scene that I actually laughed at because it felt like it was a Monty Python sketch. You could also see it coming from a mile away.

Da 5 Bloods can't decide if it wants to be a heist film, a war film, a documentary, or a geriatric buddy comedy. Maybe one of the biggest missteps for me was using the same aged actors in the flashback scenes with no de-aging. It just looked plain silly. Da 5 Bloods is one of the bigger disappointments for me in a long time.
stop it. don't ruin another movie for me.

webstar1000
06-15-2020, 08:25 AM

It does have its flaws.. but I embraced where you didn't. The death scene? LOVED IT! Best Ive seen in some time. And I really thought it was a good play to show them the same age back in Nam..... it was something Ive not seen before and for me? It worked. We watched the same movie... just with a different mindset:)

kingfan2323
06-15-2020, 08:43 AM
It took us way too long to get around to watching Good Morning Vietnam, but jesus fucking christ that's a film that does not waste a moment.

I give it a solid 5/7.

I fucking miss Robin Williams.Can you say something funny right this minute?

I doubt it.

St. Troy
06-15-2020, 10:53 AM
I recently saw (most of) Mary Poppins Returns. I say "most of" because, although I was in the room the entire time, I wasn't paying super close attention the whole time (until maybe the last 30 - 45 minutes), because I'm not Mr. Happy Disney Movie.

I have to say that I generally think it's pointless to revisit uber-classics like Mary Poppins - you can't win, you can only embarrass yourself by trying. (I also saw that it was over 2 hours long and thought "way too long for this kind of thing.") Well, this movie did not embarrass itself, and it made efficient and extravagant use of the running time. The story was enough of its own thing to justify a second movie, but of course, connected enough to the original to make sense in the first place. The visuals, the sets, the songs; absolutely everything worked, particularly one action scene that combined live action, old-school style animation, and a more realistic style of animation - but it would be wrong to single any scene out, given the wide variety: trees flowering to an extent that strained the imagination, boundless skies, darkened, gas-lit streets, and others. It was strange to think that a film trafficking entirely in unironic charm could be made these days, let alone work.

And I was blown away when...

the man himself, Dick Van Dyke, appeared - I had no idea he was in this. Just a great performer.

Now, the thing is, I'm not really the type that loves this kind of thing (my wife and daughter are, and they liked it even more than I did), but even I thought this was pretty special.

St. Troy
06-15-2020, 11:11 AM
I recently saw Incarnate (an exorcism movie starring Aaron Eckhart, who is nobody's idea of an MVP, but who most people probably find ok, as I do).

Despite a seeming attempt to lend a modern touch to things (Eckhart's character professed to be non-religious in his approach, used scientific equipment, and was assisted by modern techie nerds), this was pretty much exorcism-by-numbers, with an exorcist who has his own problems, to the point of utilizing the weather-beaten trope of the down-and-out protagonist shown at home while a video of better times plays in the background.

In the end...

they actually have Eckhart's character pull a Father Karras, pulling the demon into himself and committing suicide to end things - I gotta admit, I kind of admire the balls to shamelessly admit they had no ideas of their own and just go full and obvious Exorcist on us.

If you like to watch all the exorcist movies you can find, you might enjoy this - I did, but barely - but by no means was this film more than just ok.

St. Troy
06-15-2020, 11:17 AM
I recently tried to watch The Autopsy Of Jane Doe. This is supposed to be a decent thriller/horror movie, and it stars Brian Cox (fuck off!), so definitely worth a try.

The problem was, it got to a point where it was just poking and prodding a body, and I just couldn't take watching it. I'm not saying it was bad film-wise; I'm saying I was too grossed out to continue.

We made it to the point where...

...there was an object moving around under her skin by her ankle. :scared:

Hey - maybe it is a good movie - if any of you have seen it, let me know what you thought (and how things went after the part in the spoiler)

Still Servant
06-15-2020, 01:30 PM
stop it. don't ruin another movie for me.

Sorry, bro. Get ready for 70-year-old guys lugging hundreds of pounds of gold through the Vietnam jungle. I hate to say it, but people are watching this one with 2020 colored glasses. Nobody will have the balls to critique a Spike Lee film right now.

It does have its flaws.. but I embraced where you didn't. The death scene? LOVED IT! Best Ive seen in some time. And I really thought it was a good play to show them the same age back in Nam..... it was something Ive not seen before and for me? It worked. We watched the same movie... just with a different mindset:)

What did you love about it? Was it the fact that it was so telegraphed that he was going to step on a landmine while he was walking backward? Was it the comically fake blood spurting from his limbs? Maybe it was the fact that the characters had zero seconds to mourn his loss before they are interrupted by the minesweeper people in another telegraphed twist.

Randall Flagg
06-15-2020, 04:41 PM
Too many flaws in the movie for me to detail as I usually like succinct reviews. I'll leave the lengthy analysis to the pros.
Still Servant nailed it almost exactly like my favorite professional reviewer, Mick Lasalle of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Every so often Spike Lee makes a movie that inspires the wrong kind of wonder — as in, “I wonder what happened to Spike Lee?” As with Woody Allen, the range in quality between Lee’s best (https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Spike-Lee-has-made-some-great-movies-Here-they-13107443.php) and worst work could make you imagine that they were made by different people — except no, all Spike Lee movies are unmistakable products of the same artistic personality.
As for his new film, “Da 5 Bloods,” everything about it is off, except for Lee’s instinct for the social and political moment. In 2018’s “BlacKkKlansman,” (https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/article/Spike-Lee-reaches-a-career-high-point-with-13139224.php) he added an epilogue about the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville that elevated a very good movie into something near greatness. In “25th Hour (https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/article/Spike-Lee-s-love-poem-to-New-York-25th-Hour-2687253.php)” (2002), he took a story about a drug dealer’s last day of freedom and turned it into the ultimate expression of post-9/11 New York.

Now with “Da 5 Bloods,” he begins the movie with a montage of footage from the early ’70s, in which Angela Davis (https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/books/angela-davis-brings-her-radical-message-to-sf-with-a-smile) says, “We may very well face a period of full-blown fascism very soon.” There are also references to Black Lives Matter that had to have been included prior to the recent protests.
Yet “Da 5 Bloods” is a poor vehicle for these ideas. Clocking in at 2½ hours, it feels long after its first labored minutes. We meet four African American veterans, all men in their late 60s, as they arrive in Vietnam for a last adventure. Through stilted, tin-eared dialogue, we discover that the four surviving “Bloods” have returned to find and repatriate the body of their fallen leader — and to find millions of dollars in buried gold.

The dialogue remains a problem throughout, in that the characters don’t talk like people. Instead they work to help the movie make its points by announcing everything they’re thinking and feeling. Paul (Delroy Lindo (https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/article/Plot-muddles-Mamet-s-Heist-But-characters-2859769.php)), suffering from post-traumatic stress, announces, “I’m a broken man.” In another scene, one of the men says that they need to “repossess” the gold “for every single black boot that never made it home.”
At one point, their dead platoon leader (Chadwick Boseman) is described as “our Martin and our Malcolm.” Why not let the audience discover that, rather than give these flashback scenes too much to live up to? And, though this is a small thing, why name this leader Norman, and why have him called “Stormin’ Norman,” when it evokes, for anyone old enough to remember the Persian Gulf War, another soldier altogether?
In one scene, Paul’s son (Jonathan Majors), who is also on the trip, goes to a bar and strikes up a conversation with a French relief worker (Melanie Thierry (https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/article/Princess-of-Montpensier-review-Royal-passions-2374023.php)). This begins two cringe-worthy minutes of actors struggling to bring life to something dead on the page. Scene after scene is like this, lacking realism or tension, with none of the honest give-and-take of real conversation.
The movie inserts a couple of film references that are weird, almost flailing. The men ride down the river in a boat, as the soundtrack blares “The Ride of the Valkyries.” This evokes “Apocalypse Now,” but why? In another scene, a Vietnamese bandit tries to steal the gold and actually says, “I don’t need no stinkin’ badges.” That’s a line out of “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre,” which also had to do with gold, but so what?
The flashbacks to Vietnam are just plain odd, in that the actors — Lindo, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Clarke Peters and Norm Lewis — all play themselves at 20 years old. So, you have these older men being led by Boseman, who is decades younger. Such scenes make you realize that the movie should have been set in the late 1980s. The men would have been younger and nothing would have been lost, except the references to today’s politics.
Anyway, think about it: If you buried millions of dollars in gold when you were 20, would you wait until you were pushing 70 before you dug it up? Wouldn’t the idea of being rich appeal to you many, many years before that? Would you really wait until you were so old that you’d have to worry about throwing your back out when you picked up the loot?
In the end, “Da 5 Bloods” feels like a clumsy hybrid of two fine impulses — to make a heist movie set in Vietnam, and to make a statement about race in 2020. Alas, each intention doesn’t serve the other, and so both go unrealized.
K“Da 5 Bloods”: Drama. Starring Delroy Lindo, Clarke Peters, Isiah Whitlock Jr. and Norm Lewis. Directed by Spike Lee. (R. 154 minutes.) Available on Netflix starting Friday, June 12.

Still Servant
06-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Oh, thank god! I was starting to think I was the only one that hated it. Everyone should read that review. I swear, if I didn't know Da 5 Bloods was directed by Lee I would have assumed it was directed by a novice director. The film should have shown the soldiers in Vietnam more. Build those relationships and characters. As for the present-day stuff, the reviewer got it right, nobody is going to wait almost 4 decades to go back and retrieve the gold. It should have been set in the 80s for sure.

Randall Flagg
06-18-2020, 04:41 PM
I think $5 million dollars worth of gold weighs ~275 pounds. How the hell do 4 aged veterans lug that out, and then how do you bring it home? Private rented jet?

fernandito
06-19-2020, 06:30 AM
Sicario: Day of the Soldado - 3/5
Creep - 4/5

webstar1000
06-19-2020, 06:36 AM
Creep - 4/5

see Upgrade yet?

Heather19
06-19-2020, 07:54 AM
Watched a couple of good documentaries recently. At the Drive In, this one made me long for more drive-in theaters, especially ones that would primarily play older films. There's one at the Cape, and in the off season they'll do just that, but come summer months it's all current kids films so we never get to go. One time we did luck out and they happened to be playing Jaws which was pretty cool. And the other one was Making Apes, which tells the story of the original make-up artists behind Planet of the Apes.

fernandito
06-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Creep - 4/5

see Upgrade yet?

Not yet my boy, I scoped it out on Prime but they didn't have any rent options, only purchasing for $14.99 :(

That seems to change frequently so I'll check it out in a few days to see if they added the rent option back up.

mae
06-19-2020, 08:17 AM
Apparently, Upgrade at the moment is only streaming on-demand if you have DirecTV (AT&T TV):

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/upgrade

Still Servant
06-19-2020, 03:54 PM
I think $5 million dollars worth of gold weighs ~275 pounds. How the hell do 4 aged veterans lug that out, and then how do you bring it home? Private rented jet?

Thank you!!! It's just silly.

Also, after the first scene with Jean Reno, there was literally zero planning and plotting of how they were going to find the gold.

DoctorZaius
06-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Finally got around to two movies I have been wanting to watch

The Invisible Man was a really fun re-imagining of the classic. I love how we are dropped right into it, with no wasted exposition. The film had me leaning forward the whole time as I was trying to see any evidence of the Invisible Man in the frame - a real sense of paranoia develops while watching the film, which mirrors that of many of the characters. A real treat from beginning to end. 8.5/10 for me.

Then I watched Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen last night. This one also jumped right into the action, but then it had some serious exposition to wade through. Eventually I gave myself over to it, or was won over by some really superb ensemble performances. Hugh Grant is the best he's ever been - what a great career move. Colin Farrell was also a treat to watch. Hunnam was also great to watch in something other than Sons of Anarchy - not a lot of range, but he had some great lines. It was also a treat to see Jeremy Strong, who I just find amazing in Succession. McConaughey is, well, McConaughey, but when the man is on he is on. Loved him. Lastly, I have really come to like Henry Golding, who is now my favorite for an against-type James Bond. I thought this was some vintage Ritchie. 8.5/10 for me.

Mattrick
06-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Also, after the first scene with Jean Reno, there was literally zero planning and plotting of how they were going to find the gold.

What movie is it where they're doing a heist and they know how much the bags are going to weight, so they make prop bags up with that exact weight so they can train with carrying it?

Aremag
06-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Finally got around to watching Hereditary today. I love Toni Collete and she was great as usual. It was fairly demented and I was hovering between 3.5 and 4 stars but the ending made it 4 stars for me. The soundtrack was killer and really added to the dementedness for me.

fernandito
06-22-2020, 06:21 AM
Those final moments of Hereditary are some of my favorite from pretty much any horror film ever.

DoctorDodge
06-22-2020, 08:05 PM
Parasite

Months after its release, I've finally watched the Best Picture winner of 2019. I'm sure everyone has discussed their thoughts on this film already, so I'll keep mine relatively brief. But, needless to say, I really enjoyed it. The first half especially appealed to me - firmly in the genre of black comedy, it was great to see this family of survivors manipulate their way into the lives of people considerably better off than they are. What they do to achieve that is both despicable and hilarious, so that much appealed to my dark sense of humor.

The film noticeably slowed down during the second half, and honestly, that appealed to me a little less. Having said that, the dark turn it took needed time to be processed, and there was a lot of buildup to the climax. Which was definitely a highlight of the film. Seriously, that ending was both fantastic and messed up. I was really impressed with the sheer chaos of it.

Overall, a great mix of both comedy and commentary with a vicious edge. The commentary it had on class was particularly well done. I'm not sure I can rate it just yet. Like I said, the first half appealed to my taste more than the second, and yet looking back on it already, there are so many well crafted moments throughout that second half. What I can say is that I enjoyed it, and may need to give it a second viewing at some point.

Randall Flagg
06-23-2020, 11:26 AM
I agree with your assessment. I really enjoyed the film.

Ricky
06-23-2020, 11:27 AM
I agree about the film slowing down in the second half. I enjoyed it overall but did think that it was a little bloated.

Still Servant
06-23-2020, 01:57 PM
Hunnam was also great to watch in something other than Sons of Anarchy - not a lot of range, but he had some great lines. It was also a treat to see Jeremy Strong, who I just find amazing in Succession. McConaughey is, well, McConaughey, but when the man is on he is on. Loved him. Lastly, I have really come to like Henry Golding, who is now my favorite for an against-type James Bond. I thought this was some vintage Ritchie. 8.5/10 for me.

Check him out in The Lost City of Z. A lot of people didn't catch that one.

What movie is it where they're doing a heist and they know how much the bags are going to weight, so they make prop bags up with that exact weight so they can train with carrying it?

Widows. An underrated film.

fernandito
06-24-2020, 08:25 AM

Damn, I promised you I'd watch it but I keep neglecting it. I'll get to it! Prime?

Still Servant
06-24-2020, 12:17 PM

Damn, I promised you I'd watch it but I keep neglecting it. I'll get to it! Prime?

I believe it's on Prime. I know it's on Hoopla too.

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 12:24 PM
I miss the theatre so bad:( just wanted to say that guys....

fernandito
06-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Me too boss. The drive to my local theater, the comfy recliner seats, the smell of popcorn, people gasping and shouting in excitement. Freaking coronoavirus.

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Me too boss. The drive to my local theater, the comfy recliner seats, the smell of popcorn, people gasping and shouting in excitement. Freaking coronoavirus.

Mmmmm... movie popcorn 🍿. Yessssss

M_O_O_N
06-24-2020, 12:56 PM

I'll share mine....

:sharepopcorn:

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 12:58 PM

Mmmmm... movie popcorn [emoji897]. Yessssss

I'll share mine....

:sharepopcorn:

Thank you [emoji120]

Still Servant
06-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Here's the thing. I will never take it for granted again. Of course, I always enjoyed going to the movies, but it's something that was always there. I have a whole new understanding of truly appreciating something and it extends beyond just the movies.

That said, there were times where I was about to go out to the movies and I would be like, eh I will catch it next time. Never again. Never. Again. I will now go every time I get the chance.

Ricky
06-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Until the theater closed in March, I never realized just how many Saturdays and summer afternoons I spent at the movies. It's kind of bumming me out. It's like someone said, "Hey, remember that place you love to go? Well, no more!" :(

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Here's the thing. I will never take it for granted again. Of course, I always enjoyed going to the movies, but it's something that was always there. I have a whole new understanding of truly appreciating something and it extends beyond just the movies.

That said, there were times where I was about to go out to the movies and I would be like, eh I will catch it next time. Never again. Never. Again. I will now go every time I get the chance.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/26FLgGTPUDH6UGAbm/giphy.gif

DoctorZaius
06-24-2020, 05:11 PM

I just bought the family a projector and a 200 inch screen. I miss the movies so much!

Still Servant
06-24-2020, 06:53 PM

I just bought the family a projector and a 200 inch screen. I miss the movies so much!

Meh, I could have double that and it still wouldn't be the same as going to the movies. There's something about going to a place. In a theater, I'm a captive audience. You can't tell me when you're watching a movie at home you aren't distracted by the family, the phone, the dog and a ton of other things. In a dark theater for two hours, the world turns off. That's a lot harder to do at home, no matter how big your screen is. Also, no way you're getting that movie popcorn taste at home. :lol:

DoctorZaius
06-24-2020, 08:58 PM

Meh, I could have double that and it still wouldn't be the same as going to the movies. There's something about going to a place. In a theater, I'm a captive audience. You can't tell me when you're watching a movie at home you aren't distracted by the family, the phone, the dog and a ton of other things. In a dark theater for two hours, the world turns off. That's a lot harder to do at home, no matter how big your screen is. Also, no way you're getting that movie popcorn taste at home. :lol:

All true, but I gotta do something.

Heather19
06-25-2020, 04:05 AM
Movie popcorn is the best.

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 04:07 AM
Movie popcorn is the best.

BIG TIME. I eat an extra large every time I go and am sick when I leave. haha

St. Troy
06-25-2020, 04:38 AM
There's something about going to a place. In a theater, I'm a captive audience. You can't tell me when you're watching a movie at home you aren't distracted by the family, the phone, the dog and a ton of other things. In a dark theater for two hours, the world turns off.

Going to a place is my only chance to get family members to shut the hell up while we watch a movie. :mad:

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 04:41 AM
There's something about going to a place. In a theater, I'm a captive audience. You can't tell me when you're watching a movie at home you aren't distracted by the family, the phone, the dog and a ton of other things. In a dark theater for two hours, the world turns off.

Going to a place is my only chance to get family members to shut the hell up while we watch a movie. :mad:

Well said but slightly different for me. I have a phone disorder... ALWAYS checking it, in my hand, etc. It is the only time i will not bring it out. I get fully engrossed in the film. I totally get lost in the experience... it means so much to me. At home I could watch the best movie ever but I disconnect from it time to time. I never do in the theatre. Servant said it best up thread... I WILL NEVER TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AGAIN.

Ricky
06-25-2020, 06:19 AM
There's something about going to a place. In a theater, I'm a captive audience. You can't tell me when you're watching a movie at home you aren't distracted by the family, the phone, the dog and a ton of other things. In a dark theater for two hours, the world turns off. That's a lot harder to do at home, no matter how big your screen is.

All of this.

Still Servant
06-25-2020, 10:10 AM
I bring my own salt shaker.

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 10:12 AM

Now.. I have to be honest. I have tried all the big chains in the US and BY FAR the best I have had is Cineplex. Do you have those there? They have free packs of flavour.. SO GOOD. I always get Salt and Vinegar. My wife is Dill Pickle and white cheddar. haha Oh man, I would die for a bag right now. :sharepopcorn:

Ricky
06-25-2020, 10:17 AM
OK, are you ready for your minds to be blown?

One afternoon I was at the theater and I happened to buy a bag of popcorn. I was at the butter station and a guy turns to me and says, "Do you like butter in the middle of the bag?" Naturally, I said yes. "Want to know a trick?" he said. He tells me to unwrap a straw and stick it halfway in the bag of popcorn, line up the butter nozzle with the straw's opening, and start pumping the butter. BOOM! Butter in ALL the layers, not just the top. My mind was blown. :lol:

Randall Flagg
06-25-2020, 10:20 AM
I echo many of the things said above, with a few exceptions. I never eat food or snacks in the theater. I do however bring a couple beers in (IPA's). Of course I silence my phone. I also try to catch the earliest show possible. I love the fact that there are almost zero distractions at ~10AM showings. The only drawback to early shows is that there is no infectious (whoa, CV-19) laughing at comedies.
In the past I went to ~50-70 movies a year at an actual theater. I will never take it for granted, and aim to see as many movies in the next 12 months (if there is anything to be seen, particularly the rest of this year) as possible.

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 10:46 AM

One afternoon I was at the theater and I happened to buy a bag of popcorn. I was at the butter station and a guy turns to me and says, "Do you like butter in the middle of the bag?" Naturally, I said yes. "Want to know a trick?" he said. He tells me to unwrap a straw and stick it halfway in the bag of popcorn, line up the butter nozzle with the straw's opening, and start pumping the butter. BOOM! Butter in ALL the layers, not just the top. My mind was blown. :lol:

Seen this done SO MANY TIMES. That is not... however... butter. Look it up. It doesn't even chemically resemble it. I would NEVER put that on my shit. lol Here at Cineplex you can use that OR you can buy real melted butter behind that counter. I don't get either as I find it makes the popcorn wet like.. haha

Your story reminds me of this bigger guy (really big). Came in and got two X-L popcorns. He goes over to the counter and proceeds to bring out a HUGE stainless steel bowl from used his jacket. Now.. his buddy has in the meantime been filling empty coffee cups with the plastic sauce. He takes a FULL CUP and dumps it over the popcorn in the bowl. He then adds the second XL bag and I kid you not holds it under that dispenser for a good 5 mins. He must have had 15000 calories in that. THEN... he takes a salt shaker out another pocket and puts about half the shaker on the whole thing. Then walks on with his massive bowl into the theater!!!!!!!!!!!!

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 10:46 AM
I echo many of the things said above, with a few exceptions. I never eat food or snacks in the theater. I do however bring a couple beers in (IPA's). Of course I silence my phone. I also try to catch the earliest show possible. I love the fact that there are almost zero distractions at ~10AM showings. The only drawback to early shows is that there is no infectious (whoa, CV-19) laughing at comedies.
In the past I went to ~50-70 movies a year at an actual theater. I will never take it for granted, and aim to see as many movies in the next 12 months (if there is anything to be seen, particularly the rest of this year) as possible.

Yes. You are def a movie guy. You must miss them too man.

Ricky
06-25-2020, 12:05 PM
Seen this done SO MANY TIMES. That is not... however... butter. Look it up. It doesn't even chemically resemble it. I would NEVER put that on my shit. lol Here at Cineplex you can use that OR you can buy real melted butter behind that counter. I don't get either as I find it makes the popcorn wet like.. haha

Your story reminds me of this bigger guy (really big). Came in and got two X-L popcorns. He goes over to the counter and proceeds to bring out a HUGE stainless steel bowl from used his jacket. Now.. his buddy has in the meantime been filling empty coffee cups with the plastic sauce. He takes a FULL CUP and dumps it over the popcorn in the bowl. He then adds the second XL bag and I kid you not holds it under that dispenser for a good 5 mins. He must have had 15000 calories in that. THEN... he takes a salt shaker out another pocket and puts about half the shaker on the whole thing. Then walks on with his massive bowl into the theater!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ruin the butter facade for me! :lol:

webstar1000
06-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Don't ruin the butter facade for me! :lol:

Hahahahaha sorry!!

Still Servant
06-25-2020, 05:12 PM

I've actually done this! My local theater layers it for me. For a while, they had salt packs shaped like long straws to evenly distribute the salt.

Also, has anyone ever just gone into a movie theater and just bought popcorn and walked out? I've done this a number of times. :lol:

Randall Flagg
06-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Thats weird.
Like walking into a massage parlor and ordering a condom to go.

fernandito
06-26-2020, 05:58 AM
Burning

Might be too mosaic like and slow burner (heh) for some, but those who stick with it will find their patience rewarded with a deeply metaphorical tale of yearning, the perils of class division, and a good ole fashioned mystery. 5/5

Iwritecode
06-26-2020, 06:02 AM

I've actually done this! My local theater layers it for me. For a while, they had salt packs shaped like long straws to evenly distribute the salt.

Also, has anyone ever just gone into a movie theater and just bought popcorn and walked out? I've done this a number of times. :lol:

I used to work at a mall when I was in HS (mid 90s) and there were 2 theaters in the mall. My manager kept an empty popcorn tub in his office and every couple of days he would walk down to the movie theater, get it re-filled for free and bring it back to the store and share it with us employees.

These days you can't even get into the theater and to the snack counter without buying a movie ticket first. :arg:

Garrell
06-26-2020, 06:22 AM
We go to the movies about 3 times a month when they are open, 2 times a month during football season.
We have a popcorn machine in our movie room, that's how much I love theater popcorn.

Heather19
06-26-2020, 08:50 AM

Of course, not weird at all. We'll always get a large popcorn when we go, and it comes with a free refill. So we'll eat the bin while we watch the movie and then get a refill on our way out. It'll last for a few days, but the trick is to toss it into the oven for a few minutes before you eat it and it tastes just like it did in the theater :D

I love how this thread has devolved from movies into talking about the greatness of movie theater popcorn :rofl:

Ricky
06-26-2020, 08:52 AM
So we'll eat the bin while we watch the movie and then get a refill on our way out. It'll last for a few days, but the trick is to toss it into the oven for a few minutes before you eat it and it tastes just like it did in the theater :D

I love how this thread has devolved from movies into talking about the greatness of movie theater popcorn :rofl:

I do the same thing! I mean, if it comes with a free refill, you might as well get it, right? :lol: I never thought about putting it in the oven though! I might have to try that next time. :o

And this thread DID turn into a movie popcorn conversation. :lol:

fernandito
06-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Dude, you were right... my mind is blown :lol: Gonna try that first thing! Maybe for Tenet!

I echo many of the things said above, with a few exceptions. I never eat food or snacks in the theater. I do however bring a couple beers in (IPA's). Of course I silence my phone. I also try to catch the earliest show possible.
Me and my coworkers catch flicks at the Cinemark right down the street from the office. They're super chill with people bringing stuff in, they honestly dgaf. One of my co's who carries a huge purse will literally empty it in her car, load it up with beers from a liquor store nearby, and we'll walk in nonchalant with the unmistakable sounds of beer cans clink clink clinking in her purse :lol:

And I love matinees. I love not dealing with the huge crowds, parking, screaming kids - it's amazing.

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 09:12 AM

That's genius, right there.

DoctorZaius
06-26-2020, 10:02 AM

Me too - we keep one in each car!

Still Servant
06-26-2020, 01:50 PM

I'm not alone! :lol:

Mattrick
06-26-2020, 02:55 PM
My theater has butter dispensers that go into the popcorn and shoot butter out through various holes for even distribution.

Ricky
06-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Dude, you were right... my mind is blown :lol: Gonna try that first thing! Maybe for Tenet!

Did you see that Tenet was delayed again until mid-August? :arg:

And I love matinees. I love not dealing with the huge crowds, parking, screaming kids - it's amazing.

I love matinees, too. It's always been my preferred time of moviegoing for all the reasons you said. Plus the prices are better!

DoctorZaius
06-26-2020, 03:09 PM

I'm not alone! :lol:

And my theaters also do the layering of butter. One even has little plastic cups for extra butter on the go!

DoctorDodge
07-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

The Eurovision Song Contest is extremely popular back in the UK. Despite the fact that we're never going to win a single contest, for a lot of people, it's a good excuse to get together, drink plenty of booze, eat plenty of snacks, and enjoy the OTT extravaganza that follows.

When I heard that there was a Netflix comedy starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams, I was initially surprised. But the song they released on YouTube was enough to tell me that this was going to be something pretty special. Something that would capture just how OTT Eurovision is, but also would have a lot of love for it, too.

The film itself wasn't a disappointment. While it's not exactly the funniest movie I've seen in years, it definitely had a few good laughs. But what I particularly enjoyed was how it told a pretty good feel-good comedy. It had some pretty basic messages that we've seen before (especially "winning isn't always important"), but it handled them well and avoided doing lazy copouts.

The clear love the film has for Eurovision was a huge plus, and definitely affected my enjoyment of it. When my girlfriend asked me, "Is Eurovision really like this?", I gave a very firm "YES!" So we'll probably be watching the actual thing this time next year.

I'll be honest and say that my enjoyment of the film was definitely boosted by how much I enjoy Eurovision itself, so I'm definitely curious to see how well this will translate in places like the US where it's hardly a thing at all. But I give this a 7/10. Like Eurovision itself, it's cheesy but also a lot of fun.

Still Servant
07-01-2020, 02:13 PM
James, get your ass over to the movie tournament thread! I'm about to nominate Dredd.

Great review, by the way! I had never even heard of Eurovision before watching and I had a really good time with it. I thought it was going to be terrible. They really captured the show from what I've heard and your review echoes that.

DoctorDodge
07-01-2020, 02:29 PM
James, get your ass over to the movie tournament thread! I'm about to nominate Dredd.

*Picks up machine gun* I'm on it. *Jumps out window*

Great review, by the way! I had never even heard of Eurovision before watching and I had a really good time with it. I thought it was going to be terrible. They really captured the show from what I've heard and your review echoes that.

*Pops head back through window* Cheers! Yeah, I was initially worried it would be awful, but the video for Volcano Man was enough to tell me I'd love this one. And I'm not surprised to hear you hadn't heard of Eurovision. I think it says a lot about the British that we're absolutely obsessed over a contest that we're guaranteed to lose. Maybe that's why we're always so obsessed with the World Cup, too.

Still Servant
07-01-2020, 04:44 PM

*Picks up machine gun* I'm on it. *Jumps out window*

*Pops head back through window* Cheers! Yeah, I was initially worried it would be awful, but the video for Volcano Man was enough to tell me I'd love this one. And I'm not surprised to hear you hadn't heard of Eurovision. I think it says a lot about the British that we're absolutely obsessed over a contest that we're guaranteed to lose. Maybe that's why we're always so obsessed with the World Cup, too.

:lol:

Dredd made it in!

Why doesn't England have a chance at winning?

DoctorDodge
07-01-2020, 07:17 PM
For two key reasons. Firstly, we just don't have the talent. I think we're one of, if not the only country that once got 0 points in Eurovision. Secondly, it's because a key part of Eurovision is that it's not just a competition. It's something that brings almost all the countries of the European Union together and unites them in their mutual hatred of England! :P

allasorte
07-02-2020, 06:02 PM

The Eurovision Song Contest is extremely popular back in the UK. Despite the fact that we're never going to win a single contest, for a lot of people, it's a good excuse to get together, drink plenty of booze, eat plenty of snacks, and enjoy the OTT extravaganza that follows.

When I heard that there was a Netflix comedy starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams, I was initially surprised. But the song they released on YouTube was enough to tell me that this was going to be something pretty special. Something that would capture just how OTT Eurovision is, but also would have a lot of love for it, too.

The film itself wasn't a disappointment. While it's not exactly the funniest movie I've seen in years, it definitely had a few good laughs. But what I particularly enjoyed was how it told a pretty good feel-good comedy. It had some pretty basic messages that we've seen before (especially "winning isn't always important"), but it handled them well and avoided doing lazy copouts.

The clear love the film has for Eurovision was a huge plus, and definitely affected my enjoyment of it. When my girlfriend asked me, "Is Eurovision really like this?", I gave a very firm "YES!" So we'll probably be watching the actual thing this time next year.

I'll be honest and say that my enjoyment of the film was definitely boosted by how much I enjoy Eurovision itself, so I'm definitely curious to see how well this will translate in places like the US where it's hardly a thing at all. But I give this a 7/10. Like Eurovision itself, it's cheesy but also a lot of fun.

It was a dry comedy to me where you had to pay attention to hear what was comedic or considered as such. I have never seen or heard of Eurovision. As for the movie, I enjoyed it. Will and Rachel played their parts extremely well. The sing together when everyone was at the party was great, and the ending was actually quite emotional. I'm not saying this movie will go down as an epic comedy or even if it will be remembered a year down the road, but I will say I enjoyed what I saw and felt during the film. 7/10

Aremag
07-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Finally caught Alita: Battle Angel because the trailers did nothing for me and I had no interest. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would and am a bit sad that there probably won't be a continuation of the story on film. 4/5

Also caught Good Boys today and I have to admit the film made me laugh out loud multiple times. 3.5/5

Still Servant
07-03-2020, 06:30 PM
I had a lot of fun with Good Boys. Some of the bigger laughs I've had in a theater in a while.

Aremag
07-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Thank god for free HBO trials and not having to pay to watch some of these movies. Just watched The Predator and it has to be one of the dumbest movies I've seen in a long time. I also don't understand how Olivia Munn still gets roles in major motion pictures as she is a horrible actor with no screen presence. 1/5

allasorte
07-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Thank god for free HBO trials and not having to pay to watch some of these movies. Just watched The Predator and it has to be one of the dumbest movies I've seen in a long time. I also don't understand how Olivia Munn still gets roles in major motion pictures as she is a horrible actor with no screen presence. 1/5

Agreed on the movie and that alleged actress

Still Servant
07-05-2020, 05:49 AM

The Predator is an insulting film. Munn is certainly no thespian, but she's hardly the biggest thing wrong with the film. I actually liked her in The Newsroom.

I honestly don't know how you can take a character like Predator and make a bad movie, but we see it time and time again. However, Predators was actually way better than people give it credit for.

allasorte
07-05-2020, 09:08 AM

The Predator is an insulting film. Munn is certainly no thespian, but she's hardly the biggest thing wrong with the film. I actually liked her in The Newsroom.

I honestly don't know how you can take a character like Predator and make a bad movie, but we see it time and time again. However, Predators was actually way better than people give it credit for.

With Adrian Body? Yes that one was actually pretty good. I don't get why they don't look at comic source material, and I don't know, use one of those stories?

Randall Flagg
07-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Viewed Desperados on Netflix yesterday. Formulaic, and predictable, but quite funny. I give it 4 beers on the RFSRS.

T-Dogz_AK47
07-05-2020, 09:28 AM

I really enjoyed The Predator. Good popcorn entertainment.

Ricky
07-05-2020, 12:58 PM

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced. I haven't seen it getting a lot of love, so I'm glad it seems like you enjoyed it!

fernandito
07-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Lights Out - 2.5/5
A formulaic horror film with a swiss cheese plot and lore building, but not completely without merit as it managed to provide a few genuine jump scares and moments of dread.

The Lodge-3/5
Felt like a Diet Coke version of a Ari Aster film. Not regrettable or unforgettable, but is content with lightly grazing the depths of childhood trauma that can have potentially devastating consequences. A few decent scares.

Heather19
07-06-2020, 09:55 AM
I actually had to shut The Lodge off at one point because I was getting too creeped out, and went back to finish it the next day. That rarely if ever happens to me.

Still Servant
07-06-2020, 02:38 PM
The Lodge-3/5
Felt like a Diet Coke version of a Ari Aster film. Not regrettable or unforgettable, but is content with lightly grazing the depths of childhood trauma that can have potentially devastating consequences. A few decent scares.

A perfect way to describe that film!

I watched The Vast of Night because it got entered into our 2010 tournament. I figured I would give it a shot. I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as some other folks. I appreciate what they were going for and I think in more capable hands, it could have been a really special film.

There were a few parts that were actually off-putting. I thought some of the dialogue in the beginning was difficult to understand. It was fast-paced, poorly mixed and garbled. Towards the end of the film, the editing becomes downright ridiculous. It's worth a watch, especially as a streaming film. It certainly has a great look and feel, but I didn't think it was as good as others.

Heather19
07-06-2020, 02:57 PM
:o Really? I loved that movie. I'm glad you at least gave it a chance.

Still Servant
07-11-2020, 06:01 AM
I know it's not saying much in our current movie climate, but Palm Springs is my favorite film of the year so far.

I had high hopes for this one after hearing how well it was received at Sundance in January. I believe it set a record for the highest film ever sold there. If you like Groundhog Day, then give this one a chance. It's really fun and clever. It's on Hulu.

Ricky
07-11-2020, 07:06 AM
I was in the mood for a horror film (COVID pushing everything back a year is killing me) so I finally watched the original Prom Night after having it in my queue for years. It was pretty enjoyable. I was surprised at how much it resembled a cross between Carrie and Halloween. Interesting ending reveal, but I wish there would've been some deeper explanation of the killer's motives.

Jean
07-12-2020, 12:40 AM
bears have finally watched The Lord of the Rings. All the three parts. Director's cut.

The battles were pretty good, and the architecture of all constructions perfect, a great pleasure to see. The rest left bears unimpressed (love, love the book), with possible exception of Gandalf, Gimli and both the minor hobbits.

Mattrick
07-12-2020, 06:23 AM
Fellowship is still the best Middle Earth film...it all starts going downhill after Helms Deep.

Mattrick
07-12-2020, 05:14 PM
My 90s lookback on Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie
https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock

fernandito
07-13-2020, 11:57 AM
I Saw The Devil
A brilliant, blood-soaked masterpiece of revenge and wavering morals. Not for the feint of heart. 5/5

The Perks of Being A Wallflower
An earnest tale about the turbulence of being an adolescent outsider and juggling the many experiences and pitfalls of young adulthood. 4/5

Garrell
07-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Greyhound
Tom Hanks is always good and he doesn't disappoint in this one. It is available of Apple TV+. Good war movie.

Still Servant
07-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Greyhound
Tom Hanks is always good and he doesn't disappoint in this one. It is available of Apple TV+. Good war movie.

I thought Greyhound was terrible. I knew it was a red flag when a Tom Hanks war movie gets delayed BEFORE the virus. Then to see it get edited down to an hour and 30 minutes. Yikes. The film has zero characterization. (Tom Hanks keeps getting served food. He sharpens his pencil). You can't tell the difference between any other characters and that includes the fantastic Stephen Graham.

The film is a constant barrage of torpedos, bullets and bombs. The only problem is the action is repetitive. Each action scene feels the same. The only difference is maybe it takes place at night. Even in the most hectic action films, you need those scenes where the actors just talk. There's very little of that before the boat is being pounded by artillery once again.

The real winner this weekend was: Palm Springs (2020) Movie Review (https://popculturedmoviemi.wixsite.com/popculturedmoviemike/palm-springs)

webstar1000
07-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Greyhound

I thought Greyhound was terrible. I knew it was a red flag when a Tom Hanks war movie gets delayed BEFORE the virus. Then to see it get edited down to an hour and 30 minutes. Yikes. The film has zero characterization. (Tom Hanks keeps getting served food. He sharpens his pencil). You can't tell the difference between any other characters and that includes the fantastic Stephen Graham.

The film is a constant barrage of torpedos, bullets and bombs. The only problem is the action is repetitive. Each action scene feels the same. The only difference is maybe it takes place at night. Even in the most hectic action films, you need those scenes where the actors just talk. There's very little of that before the boat is being pounded by artillery once again.

The real winner this weekend was: Palm Springs (2020) Movie Review (https://popculturedmoviemi.wixsite.com/popculturedmoviemike/palm-springs)

I didn’t mind it BUT this did not feel like a Hanks movie and I agree with everything you said here/

Mattrick
07-13-2020, 02:54 PM
My look back at the 90s comedy Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie

https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/so-90s-bean

DoctorDodge
07-13-2020, 04:50 PM
I Saw The Devil
A brilliant, blood-soaked masterpiece of revenge and wavering morals. Not for the feint of heart. 5/5

An earnest tale about the turbulence of being an adolescent outsider and juggling the many experiences and pitfalls of young adulthood. 4/5

Perks is one of my favourite movies ever. It’s easily a top 5 for me. Same goes for the novel. Glad you enjoyed it. And sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.

DoctorZaius
07-13-2020, 08:21 PM
I know it's not saying much in our current movie climate, but Palm Springs is my favorite film of the year so far.

I had high hopes for this one after hearing how well it was received at Sundance in January. I believe it set a record for the highest film ever sold there. If you like Groundhog Day, then give this one a chance. It's really fun and clever. It's on Hulu.

Just watched Palm Springs tonight. While it did not live up the hype I have been reading, it was well worth my time. Funny and thought-provoking at times, not bad for a comedy. Andy Samberg is a welcome surprise - much better than his SNL stuff. He will be one to watch. The revelation for me though was Cristin Milioti. She was so excellent. She seemed so familiar to me, and when I looked her up I realized that I had seen her in the pre-broadway run of the musical Once when it premiered at the ART in Cambridge, MA. Small world. 8/10

fernandito
07-14-2020, 05:58 AM
...sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.

Absolutely, but be warned - it is probably the most violent film you'll see this side of Ichi The Killer.

DoctorDodge
07-14-2020, 06:37 AM
...sounds like I need to watch I Saw the Devil.

Absolutely, but be warned - it is probably the most violent film you'll see this side of Ichi The Killer.

Holy funt. That’s definitely violent!

Still Servant
07-14-2020, 09:34 AM

Just watched Palm Springs tonight. While it did not live up the hype I have been reading, it was well worth my time. Funny and thought-provoking at times, not bad for a comedy. Andy Samberg is a welcome surprise - much better than his SNL stuff. He will be one to watch. The revelation for me though was Cristin Milioti. She was so excellent. She seemed so familiar to me, and when I looked her up I realized that I had seen her in the pre-broadway run of the musical Once when it premiered at the ART in Cambridge, MA. Small world. 8/10

Samberg has shown his quality beyond SNL for years. Brooklyn 99 is one of the funniest sitcoms on TV right now. Also, his film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is severely underrated.

Lastly, add me to the list of people who adore I saw the Devil. An absolutely brutal tale of vengeance.

webstar1000
07-14-2020, 09:35 AM

Yeah I expected more from Palm Springs... so because of the hype here and elsewhere.. I was let down a bit.

DoctorZaius
07-14-2020, 09:39 AM

Samberg has shown his quality beyond SNL for years. Brooklyn 99 is one of the funniest sitcoms on TV right now. Also, his film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping is severely underrated.

Lastly, add me to the list of people who adore I saw the Devil. An absolutely brutal tale of vengeance.

I rarely watch network sitcoms any more. The only sitcom I watch these days is Barry. Maybe I'll check out Popstar.

Iwritecode
07-14-2020, 10:19 AM

:biggrin1:

fernandito
07-14-2020, 10:32 AM
I watched Palm Springs too a little while ago. I was a little swept up the hype which unfortunately the film didn't meet, but it was still a very poignant and charming dramedy. Sanberg and the girl who looks like Robb Stark's wife had great chemistry together, and it even took time to ask important questions about fate and the sustainability of long term relationships. I give it a 3.5/5

mae
07-14-2020, 10:38 AM
I'm more with feev on this one. I liked Palm Springs, but wasn't blown away by it. That said, movies with time loops are my jam so I always enjoy those! 3.5 or 3.75 seems fair. Hulu has another 2020 movie that might be better, and that's Shirley.

fernandito
07-14-2020, 10:42 AM
I love Elizabeth Moss so I'll get to it in time for sure. Right now I'm giving priority to tournament nominations :lol: