PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Ricky
01-31-2020, 06:41 PM
Was trying to decide between that, Knives Out, or The Turning for tomorrow.

jebeare
01-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Took the kids to Frozen 2 the other day. Does that count? It was, um, okay...

Still Servant
02-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Was trying to decide between that, Knives Out, or The Turning for tomorrow.

That shouldn't be a question. Knives Out hands down. The Turning is supposed to be terrible and RF is the first person I've seen that likes The Rhythm Section.

Ricky
02-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Ended up going with The Turning. I was in the mood for a turn-your-brain-off schlocky kind of horror film. I knew exactly what it was going to be before I walked in, so I wasn't let down by its extreme blandness. But that ending...what the hell were they thinking? Super abrupt and poorly executed. It's like they just chopped off the last ten minutes. The lady next to me actually said, "What the hell?" Anyway, the performances were good so I guess that counts for something.

Mattrick
02-01-2020, 05:29 PM
I'm going to see 1917 again this week, this time in IMAX. I'm mildly curious about Rabid as well. Rewatching Joker tomorrow night.

webstar1000
02-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Mercy..... so good. Very powerful. 7.5/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorZaius
02-02-2020, 09:25 AM
Gotta tell ya, I am a little more than half way through The Irishman, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Definitely not loving it. My biggest distraction is the de-aging. The faces don't look natural at all and what is most distracting is that when they are younger, they still walk/carry themselves like they are all in their 70s, which they are. I'm certainly gonna finish it, but a Best Picture nominee it's not, at least so far.

Still Servant
02-02-2020, 12:28 PM
I thought the deaging was less noticeable as the film progressed.

Still Servant
02-03-2020, 06:53 PM
Luce

2019 is the gift that just keeps on giving. Luce had a really strong festival run early in 2019, but the film never seemed to get a larger release. Luce stars Tim Roth and Naomi Watts, two Funny Games alum reuniting. My guess as to the reason it didn't get a wide release is the film is kind of hard to pin down in terms of the kind of film it is. It doesn't really fit well into any genre. I don't want to give too much away because I think it's really worth a watch.

The standout for me was Kelvin Harrison Jr., a relative unknown who gives one of the stronger performances of the year. Harrison also appeared in Waves, another festival darling that I haven't seen just yet. The film also stars Octavia Spencer.

Luce deals with a bunch of different themes, the most obvious is about race and how as a society we put people into boxes. The film also deals with the unfair pressures some minorities are burdened with in trying to overcome.

Luce is on Hulu, check it out.

Mattrick
02-03-2020, 07:07 PM
I enjoyed Joker more the second time through. Somehow Joker manages to be both over criticized and over appreciated.

fernandito
02-04-2020, 03:08 PM
I appreciated it a lot more on second watch as well. Masterpiece might be too strong a word but dammit if it doesn't knock at the door.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 04:28 AM
Birds of Prey... silly. Just silly... over the top and cheesy dialogue used OVER AND OVER again. The group we went with hated it. There was some aspects I liked but not enough to save it. 5/10 for me... was going to say 6 but when I woke up today it dropped.

divemaster
02-07-2020, 04:31 AM
Birds of Prey... silly. Just silly... over the top and cheesy dialogue used OVER AND OVER again. The group we went with hated it. There was some aspects I liked but not enough to save it. 5/10 for me... was going to say 6 but when I woke up today it dropped.

I saw the trailer a couple of times at the theater last month. I said to myself "this looks like it could be the worst film in the history of cinema." There is no way you could even pay me to see this movie.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 04:33 AM

I saw the trailer a couple of times at the theater last month. I said to myself "this looks like it could be the worst film in the history of cinema." There is no way you could even pay me to see this movie.

I wish I had my money back. It was so bad... SO Bad. I may even lower my score over time as I think about how I was robbed of my $ by seeing this. lol I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY HAVE GOOD REVIEWS. Wait, yes I do... its Hollywood praising the all girl team up shit because that is what is being shoved down our throats now. I just think to my self.. look at these movies.. they are bombing!! Terminator could have been a good movie. You had Sarah Conor back for fuck sakes!!!! Instead we are forced to believe a small Mexican girl is going to save the world with her toughness. Anyways, I digress... studios will realize this shit soon though. This movie will not do well.

mae
02-07-2020, 04:51 AM

You seem to be in a small minority. It's Certified Fresh now and audience score is 88%. And it's supposed to be silly and over the top. Maybe you're just not a fan of Harley Quinn? Have you read any of her comics in the last, say, 5 years?

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 04:58 AM

You seem to be in a small minority. It's Certified Fresh now and audience score is 88%. And it's supposed to be silly and over the top. Maybe you're just not a fan of Harley Quinn? Have you read any of her comics in the last, say, 5 years?

No I have not read the comics. Magot is good and that is how I would expect Harley to act... it just doesnt stop the fact that I find it annoying though. And I am not so sure I am in the minority. I was with 6 other guys that went. NOT ONE liked it. Some sincerely hated it. WE were 70% of the audience AND it the best theater in this location. Audience score is also 600 people... lets see what takes place over the next week. I will A) be shocked if we get another movie with her as main , B) this makes a lot of money, C) everyone likes it. There was at LEAST 70% full theater for Bad Boys (which was well done by the way!) and that was 2 weeks after it opened. SORRY... I REALLY did want to like this. I went in so positive after the good reviews and by the end I could not wait for it to end.

Garrell
02-07-2020, 05:42 AM
Funny thing is, I told my wife that we would see it but something told me deep down that it would be really bad.

On another note:
Gretel & Hansel - Not great but not hateful. Beautiful imagery just not a lot of story to go with it. Simple story like the fairy tale, just think darker. 3.5/6
Last Christmas - Best Xmas movie ever. Daenarys is so pretty. Twist on a romantic comedy. Very fun and lovable characters. 5/6
Playin' With Fire - John Cena and kids= Disney type fare. Fun and predictable. 4/6

fernandito
02-07-2020, 11:15 AM
RE Birds of Prey: That's disheartening to hear. One thing I constantly harp on is the fact that the RT% as we know it is just an extremely simplified binary system of 'Liked it/Did Not Like It'. There are miles of gray in between. The average score per review is probably a better indicator of the quality. It's at 6.87/10 as right now.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 11:37 AM
RE Birds of Prey: That's disheartening to hear. One thing I constantly harp on is the fact that the RT% as we know it is just an extremely simplified binary system of 'Liked it/Did Not Like It'. There are miles of gray in between. The average score per review is probably a better indicator of the quality. It's at 6.87/10 as right now.

I expect this to drop further. I give it between 5-6/10.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Quinn is literally meant to be the most obnoxious character in DC with a pinch (or handful) of murdering psychopath. Like, you really can't complain about that.

Full disclosure: I have zero interest in the movie because even the previews looked like caca and you'd have to pay me, buy me popcorn and an XL Coke and I'd still probably say no. Just so you don't think I'm singling you out.

As for the movies with female leads bombing/Being bad, I'd rather watch Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman than all Thors, all but one Spiderman, all Hulks, both Ant-Man movies, Aquaman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, fucking Shazam and whatever third-tier superhero movie is being made rn. And is a 14-year-old boy as the world's saviour really that much more believable than a 14-year-old girl? I dont get the logic here.

Variety is good. If I ask my daughter if she wants to go see Wonder Woman or Aquaman, what do you think she'll choose?

Mattrick
02-07-2020, 12:38 PM

You shouldn't need to read the source material to appreciate the adaptation.

Mattrick
02-07-2020, 12:50 PM

RT should be a barometer of opinion with as simple a point as this: it helps answer the question "should I see this?" Unsure about a new flick? Well, 85% of critics liked it. RT being a barometer of quality, as many people see it, is just ridiculous. The audience score for any movie is totally unreliable. It's a low threshold for what is considered fresh/rotten by a critic, and if the score is low enough they get to pick themselves. It's as arbitrary as it gets.

Metacritic is more accurate IMO. It's currently at 60 out of 100 with a userscore of 6.1 of 10.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 12:52 PM

RT should be a barometer of opinion with as simple a point as this: it helps answer the question "should I see this?" Unsure about a new flick? Well, 85% of critics liked it. RT being a barometer of quality, as many people see it, is just ridiculous. The audience score for any movie is totally unreliable. It's a low threshold for what is considered fresh/rotten by a critic, and if the score is low enough they get to pick themselves. It's as arbitrary as it gets.

Metacritic is more accurate IMO. It's currently at 60 out of 100 with a userscore of 6.1 of 10.

Yes, yes, yes. Always go to Meta Critic.

Shannon
02-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Just asked this about Locke and Key, but anything too bad in Harley Quinn? For example, the only thing I had a small problem with Rose seeing in Suicide Squad was the torture/electroshock scenes. Not the worst, but a little too brutal for my then five-year old.

Mattrick
02-07-2020, 01:36 PM
It's rated R, so probably.

fernandito
02-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Quinn is literally meant to be the most obnoxious character in DC with a pinch (or handful) of murdering psychopath. Like, you really can't complain about that.
Yes you can. What works in one medium does not necessarily work in another. Directors are paid to find that middle ground so as to make sure the transition is smooth and not jarring.

And is a 14-year-old boy as the world's saviour really that much more believable than a 14-year-old girl? I dont get the logic here.
Yeah I didn't get that either lol. How is a 14 year old John Connor a more valid savior than a 14 year old girl? Webstar?

You shouldn't need to read the source material to appreciate the adaptation.

Correct. That's why for me The Dark Knight series (especially TDK) will always stand head and shoulders above everything else in the genre. Pop escapism that turned into art.

Metacritic is more accurate IMO. It's currently at 60 out of 100 with a userscore of 6.1 of 10.Funny you mention this, I've been using this site more and more lately instead of RT for my reviews aggregate.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure how to quote just the top part. Normally I'd agree with that but if you try to reign in her insanity, she stops being Harley Quinn. Jarring is what she does. Comic to movie adaptation isn't really what I was getting it but staying true to character. TDK is actually a good example actually. You can absolutely enjoy it without any knowledge about Batman but that's Batman through and through as a character. If they had made him drop the cowl, it wouldn't be Batman. I guess I'm referring to character's characteristics and you not going to get a well adjusted Harley Quinn.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Yes Fernando. I thought a 14 year old John Conner was FAR more believable. How many hardened females could you see doing his role in a dystopian future? It’s not sexist... it’s just realistic. It’s easier for the viewer to accept. Period.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 02:52 PM
That's a pretty strange opinion for a Star Wars fan.

Padme, Leia, Mon Mothma, Mara Jade, Rey all seemed more than capable fighters and leaders.

Maybe it's easier for you to accept that it's dudes who always get the badass of the movie award, but that is in fact, not a fact. Only your preference.

John's Mom taught him to be a soldier. Sarah Connor seemed to do okay, didn't she?

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 03:15 PM
That's a pretty strange opinion for a Star Wars fan.

Padme, Leia, Mon Mothma, Mara Jade, Rey all seemed more than capable fighters and leaders.

Maybe it's easier for you to accept that it's dudes who always get the badass of the movie award, but that is in fact, not a fact. Only your preference.

John's Mom taught him to be a soldier. Sarah Connor seemed to do okay, didn't she?

Yes but she wasn’t 14 when we met her. Sorry can’t I have an opinion or should I just agree with you and be done with it?

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 03:26 PM
No agreement is necessary but you state your opinion as a fact and speak for the entire viewership. On this board alone you had people disagreeing with you and proving your so-called fact to be wrong. I'm open to having my opinion changed (I drank the game of thrones kool-aid recently) but you come in with your ears covered going nah nah nah. I listed names from a franchise you actually like and you're getting passive aggressive about it.

Whatever. Birds of prey looks stupid anyways, why do I even care?

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 03:29 PM
No agreement is necessary but you state your opinion as a fact and speak for the entire viewership. On this board alone you had people disagreeing with you and proving your so-called fact to be wrong. I'm open to having my opinion changed (I drank the game of thrones kool-aid recently) but you come in with your ears covered going nah nah nah. I listed names from a franchise you actually like and you're getting passive aggressive about it.

Whatever. Birds of prey looks stupid anyways, why do I even care?

Lol it is stupid. And not cause it’s women as the main focus... it’s just not a good movie.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2020, 03:32 PM
I believe that 100%. I might watch it if it ever comes on Netflix but that's it.

webstar1000
02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
I believe that 100%. I might watch it if it ever comes on Netflix but that's it.

I mean it’s worth a watch if your into movies but it’s not theater worthy If that makes sense.

Shannon
02-07-2020, 04:31 PM
It's rated R, so probably.

The language alone would make it an R, hence my question.

Still Servant
02-07-2020, 05:40 PM

Really? I would have sworn you would have loved this one. Maybe I'm losing my touch.

Still Servant
02-07-2020, 05:48 PM
I've been using this site more and more lately instead of RT for my reviews aggregate.

Actually, that's a great idea. Is there a way we can keep track of a film's rating on here. We could do a thread and then a poll with different scores, but each post only supports one poll. Is there another way of doing this? I think it would be interesting. Thoughts?

Shannon
02-07-2020, 07:45 PM
I've been using this site more and more lately instead of RT for my reviews aggregate.

Actually, that's a great idea. Is there a way we can keep track of a film's rating on here. We could do a thread and then a poll with different scores, but each post only supports one poll. Is there another way of doing this? I think it would be interesting. Thoughts?

I've always had an idea of a movie review site that tracks individual's ratings. That way, you can see what other people (that like and dislike the same things you do) rate a movie you're interested in seeing.

mae
02-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Loved loved loved Birds of Prey! I don't get the negative comments at all here. Margot Robbie was amazing as Harley, she has the character down, just perfection, chef's kiss! The action was pretty much non-stop, so fun and full of chaos (perfect since it's Harley telling the story), and I had a permanent smile for the whole show. The non-linear beginning was so well done. Canary Cry gave me goosebumps. And Huntress being one of my all-time favorite DC characters, was a crossbow-wielding cherry on top! Loved what Mary Elizabeth Winstead did with the character, got some of the biggest laughs at my screening, and just totally kicked complete ass! Roman and Victor were deliciously evil (and funny). I mean, the entire cast was purely fantabulous! I love how it sets up the Birds of Prey and I hope we see these characters again soon!

webstar1000
02-08-2020, 02:32 AM
Loved loved loved Birds of Prey! I don't get the negative comments at all here. Margot Robbie was amazing as Harley, she has the character down, just perfection, chef's kiss! The action was pretty much non-stop, so fun and full of chaos (perfect since it's Harley telling the story), and I had a permanent smile for the whole show. The non-linear beginning was so well done. Canary Cry gave me goosebumps. And Huntress being one of my all-time favorite DC characters, was a crossbow-wielding cherry on top! Loved what Mary Elizabeth Winstead did with the character, got some of the biggest laughs at my screening, and just totally kicked complete ass! Roman and Victor were deliciously evil (and funny). I mean, the entire cast was purely fantabulous! I love how it sets up the Birds of Prey and I hope we see these characters again soon!

Wow.
I’m
Shocked. How anyone could want more of that is beyond me! We have such different tastes.

mae
02-08-2020, 09:20 AM
We have such different tastes.

And that's a good thing.

But have you seen the new Harley Quinn animated series? It's spectacular.

Still Servant
02-08-2020, 12:45 PM

I've always had an idea of a movie review site that tracks individual's ratings. That way, you can see what other people (that like and dislike the same things you do) rate a movie you're interested in seeing.

Letterboxd is kind of like that. I follow certain people and can see their ratings. I wish more people here used it.

Mattrick
02-08-2020, 07:54 PM
I'm on letterboxd but I don't use it much

Ricky
02-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Just got home from AMC's Best Picture Showcase. 10 hours of movies--Jojo Rabbit, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (second viewing), Parasite, and 1917. None really blew me away, though they all have aspects that I really enjoyed. If there's one negative that I think can be said of all the BP noms this year (I haven't seen Little Women, Ford v. Ferrari, or Marriage Story) it's that they're too long. I don't mind long movies, but each of these could've been a little tighter in the story+pacing department.

Now...time to make my picks!

Garrell
02-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Parasite. Wow. Deserves the accolades it has received. Wow. Loved it. Wow. 5/5.

Garrell
02-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Did I say Wow?

Heather19
02-11-2020, 05:03 AM
Just watched Parasite last night, and really loved it. I'm glad it won Best Picture, I think it was deserving of the award.

Ricky
02-11-2020, 03:44 PM
I enjoyed it as well. I did have a hard time "rooting" for the Kims in the second half, though. It was an unfortunate economic situation they were in but I just couldn't get behind their decisions.

allasorte
02-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Just watched Parasite last night, and really loved it. I'm glad it won Best Picture, I think it was deserving of the award.

I enjoyed Parasite, but there were several other films that deserved the best picture honor. Will American films now be included in the international best picture category? Fair is fair right?

Heather19
02-11-2020, 04:39 PM
I enjoyed it as well. I did have a hard time "rooting" for the Kims in the second half, though. It was an unfortunate economic situation they were in but I just couldn't get behind their decisions.

It's funny that you say this because I also felt the same. But I was just having a discussion with my friend earlier... She had seen it in the theater and she said that people were gasping when the son was getting strangled, and then multiple people crying when the daughter was killed. It was shocking, but he was going to kill the couple in the basement, and they did fully exploit the wealthy family, so I had no sympathy for him, nor much for his family. I definitely saw it as a dark comedy. I'm not sure we were supposed to be rooting for them. I'm curious on others thoughts about this.

Heather19
02-11-2020, 04:43 PM

I enjoyed Parasite, but there were several other films that deserved the best picture honor. Will American films now be included in the international best picture category? Fair is fair right?

That weren't nominated, or of the ones that were? Out of the nominated ones I've only seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (really enjoyed), The Joker (great movie), and Little Women (didn't care for). I do want to see Jojo Rabbit, but I have no desire to see any of the others.

webstar1000
02-11-2020, 04:47 PM

That weren't nominated, or of the ones that were? Out of the nominated ones I've only seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (really enjoyed), The Joker (great movie), and Little Women (didn't care for). I do want to see Jojo Rabbit, but I have no desire to see any of the others.

Joker was a better film than Parasite. In 20 years let’s ask ourselves this... what film will reach classic status? While I was surprised at how good Parasite was... it will be forgotten someday. I do not believe Joker will be.

fernandito
02-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Joker was a better film than Parasite. In 20 years let’s ask ourselves this... what film will reach classic status? While I was surprised at how good Parasite was... it will be forgotten someday. I do not believe Joker will be.

Easiest question ever, Parasite obviously. Parasite doesn't need 'years from now', it's a classic right now.

Yeah Phoenix won best actor (deservedly), but Joker is a character that we've seen countless times before. Parasite will be remembered throughout the annals of Hollywood history as the film that broke the deadlock and forced Hollywood to recognize films beyond home soil with the ultimate prize.

webstar1000
02-11-2020, 05:15 PM

Easiest question ever, Parasite obviously. Parasite doesn't need 'years from now', it's a classic right now.

Yeah Phoenix won best actor (deservedly), but Joker is a character that we've seen countless times before. Parasite will be remembered throughout the annals of Hollywood history as the film that broke the deadlock and forced Hollywood to recognize films beyond home soil.

Let’s chat in 20 then. Right now a classic? Laughable

fernandito
02-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Is this one of those times were you give questionable opinions and don't back them up with anything remotely substantial? :orely:

Mattrick
02-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Of course Joker will be more remembered. It made over a billion dollars and was seen by tens of millions of people and is based off one of the most iconic characters in pop culture history. More people remember a total piece of shit like Weekend at Bernies than great films from the time period too.

Parasite is a much better film than Joker and I really like Joker. Joker has A LOT of detractors and people who think it's crap and or just average. I've never heard anyone say Parasite was crap. Most people thought it was one of the best movies of the year, if not the best movie of the year.

Both films will no doubt be considered classic, but history will favour Parasite way way more than Joker.

allasorte
02-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Yeah Phoenix won best actor (deservedly), but Joker is a character that we've seen countless times before. Parasite will be remembered throughout the annals of Hollywood history as the film that broke the deadlock and forced Hollywood to recognize films beyond home soil.

Let’s chat in 20 then. Right now a classic? Laughable

I don't believe any movies this year are going to be considered classics. Joker perhaps in the comic genre behind the Nolan trilogy and I would push hard for this statement. But when I think of classics I think of Jaws, Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, The Thing, Dr. Strangelove, Alien, Animal House, Big Lebowski....movies of that nature. Shout out to Breaking Bad, The Office, Seinfeld too, though not movies.

webstar1000
02-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Is this one of those times were you give questionable opinions and don't back them up with anything remotely substantial? :orely:

That’s right, be a dick to me cause I don’t agree with you and have my own opinions. How silly of me. BUT here is what I think... because of the shit (woman, race, etc) surrounding the Oscars... this was a play to calm everyone’s tits. What better way to stop the groaning? Why do I need to back anything up? It’s my opinion. I didn’t think Parasite was a better film. End of story.

Still Servant
02-11-2020, 06:38 PM
I totally agree. Joker will be remembered for years to come. Mainly because the film has already been made two times before. I'm looking at you King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

I really enjoyed Joker, but it's not as good as Parasite in my opinion.

As for the Kims in Parasite, I don't think they were evil at all. They could have just gone in there and jacked all their shit. They got jobs and were compensated for it. I also don't believe they ever intended to kill the family in the basement.

Mattrick
02-11-2020, 09:20 PM
I totally agree. Joker will be remembered for years to come. Mainly because the film has already been made two times before. I'm looking at you King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

As for the Kims in Parasite, I don't think they were evil at all. They could have just gone in there and jacked all their shit. They got jobs and were compensated for it. I also don't believe they ever intended to kill the family in the basement.

Evil...maybe not. Seriously deranged? Definitely. Between counterfeiting, assault, dating an underage girl (and reading her diary), costing people their jobs, and inducing horrible allergies only to claim it's tuberculosis to steal her job, and abusing their roles to eat/drink the Park's stuff I'd say they're not good people.

Heather19
02-12-2020, 05:02 AM

So why was he heading downstairs with the rock? I think that was definitely his initial intent. Would he have followed through with it when confronted with the reality of the situation, maybe not? But I did like the twist that it was then him assaulted with the rock. The daughter seemed like she was upset and wanted to help the couple, yet she's the one that ends up dead.

And evil might be a strong word, but they were definitely not good people. They were all con artists, and I'm not sure they felt any remorse for the harm they caused to everyone

Garrell
02-12-2020, 06:17 AM
On another note:
Watched The Gentlemen yesterday, loved it. Fun. Not gonna win any awards but if you liked Snatch then this is a must.

webstar1000
02-12-2020, 06:23 AM
Next movie I am really rooting for is Quiet Place 2. I loved the first one.... I hope we get a really great follow up!

fernandito
02-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Of course Joker will be more remembered. It made over a billion dollars and was seen by tens of millions of people...

...Both films will no doubt be considered classic, but history will favour Parasite way way more than Joker.
Wait, so which one is it? Joker or Parasite?

You and Matt are both gravely underestimating the cultural zeitgeist currently in place and the potentially seismic ripples this can cause in the film-world moving forward. A world that has generally favored whites. Next year if another "international film" is among those competing for top honors the conversation will not be about Joker, it will be about Parasite being a trailblazer. This effect will compound the more and more foreign films get nominated. The genesis will always be traced back to Parasite.

On another note:
Watched The Gentlemen yesterday, loved it. Fun. Not gonna win any awards but if you liked Snatch then this is a must.

That's at the top of my to watch list for Feb. As soon as I'm back from my trip, to the theater I go. So glad Ritchie is back playing in the sandbox he's so great at.

Next movie I am really rooting for is Quiet Place 2. I loved the first one.... I hope we get a really great follow up!
Hell yeah, I'm super stoked for that. Curious to see how much Krasinski has matured into a story teller. Emily Blunt will knock it out of the ballpark, as usual.

webstar1000
02-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Hell yeah, I'm super stoked for that. Curious to see how much Krasinski has matured into a story teller. Emily Blunt will knock it out of the ballpark, as usual.[/QUOTE]

I have grown to really like his work. I liked him in the Office too but all his stuff I have been a fan of lately. His show (Jack Ryan) is really well done too.

Mattrick
02-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Lol they changed the name of Birds of Prey

Still Servant
02-12-2020, 05:13 PM

You and Matt are both gravely underestimating the cultural zeitgeist currently in place and the potentially seismic ripples this can cause in the film-world moving forward. A world that has generally favored whites. Next year if another "international film" is among those competing for top honors the conversation will not be about Joker, it will be about Parasite being a trailblazer. This effect will compound the more and more foreign films get nominated. The genesis will always be traced back to Parasite.

You missed the point of my post. I'm basically saying there's nothing that memorable about Joker because the film has been made two times before. l'm well aware of the significance of Parasite winning Best Picture.

Phoenix is the best part of Joker and his performance will certainly be remembered, but the film itself is really good but not amazing.

Aremag
02-13-2020, 04:57 AM
Watched Ford Vs Ferrari yesterday and I have to say it was one of the best films I've seen. Still need to see Parasite, 1917 and a few others but I see why Ford Vs Ferrari is getting the accolades it is.

Garrell
02-13-2020, 05:43 AM
Watched Ford Vs Ferrari yesterday and I have to say it was one of the best films I've seen. Still need to see Parasite, 1917 and a few others but I see why Ford Vs Ferrari is getting the accolades it is.

Love it also

allasorte
02-13-2020, 01:49 PM

I am not a racing fan at all and Ford V Ferrari I thought was amazing as well as the acting. Joker was beyond impressive. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a bit long but Leo and Brad were fantastic. Little Women I turned off lol.

Ricky
02-13-2020, 03:08 PM
So why was he heading downstairs with the rock? I think that was definitely his initial intent. Would he have followed through with it when confronted with the reality of the situation, maybe not? But I did like the twist that it was then him assaulted with the rock. The daughter seemed like she was upset and wanted to help the couple, yet she's the one that ends up dead.

And evil might be a strong word, but they were definitely not good people. They were all con artists, and I'm not sure they felt any remorse for the harm they caused to everyone

Yeah, I don't think they had much remorse either, which I why I had difficulty caring about them succeeding or failing. I think it's interesting that the film makes it clear that the Kims see themselves as the victims of the story, but I also wonder, like you said, if we're supposed to root for them. I also think "Kevin" was definitely going to the basement to kill one of them.

And to add my voice to the conversation, I think Parasite will be remembered as being a "ceiling-breaker" in terms of being the first foreign language film to win BP, but as a film I don't really see it attaining a classic status. Or Joker, for that matter. Maybe for Phoenix's performance, but not the film as a whole.

Mattrick
02-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Yeah, I don't think they had much remorse either, which I why I had difficulty caring about them succeeding or failing. I think it's interesting that the film makes it clear that the Kims see themselves as the victims of the story, but I also wonder, like you said, if we're supposed to root for them. I also think "Kevin" was definitely going to the basement to kill one of them.

And to add my voice to the conversation, I think Parasite will be remembered as being a "ceiling-breaker" in terms of being the first foreign language film to win BP, but as a film I don't really see it attaining a classic status. Or Joker, for that matter. Maybe for Phoenix's performance, but not the film as a whole.

But if Joker leads to a collection of grounded, dramatic comic adaptations it could be seen as a influential film too. As the most successful comic book film of all time, you know some are coming.

fernandito
02-19-2020, 10:04 AM
Birds of Prey

I actually really enjoyed it. Need to think on it a little bit more, but knee jerk reaction is that I had a blast at the theaters. Will post a more thorough review later...

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Anyone seen Sonic yet?

fernandito
02-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Not yet, but I'm hoping to catch it sometime next week. Sonic was a huge part of my life growing up.

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Not yet, but I'm hoping to catch it sometime next week. Sonic was a huge part of my life growing up.

It looks fun I think...

WeDealInLead
02-19-2020, 10:20 AM

Hey, send me $10 and I'll write you a review of it without even seeing it. It goes something like this: movie sucks, you're an adult now, stay home.

webstar1000
02-19-2020, 10:35 AM

Hey, send me $10 and I'll write you a review of it without even seeing it. It goes something like this: movie sucks, you're an adult now, stay home.

Man sometimes you sound like a dick. lol I liked it growing up too and love Jim C.... so I plan to see it. Has decent reviews and could be a little popcorn fun! We shall see:)

Garrell
02-19-2020, 10:54 AM

Man sometimes you sound like a dick. lol I liked it growing up too and love Jim C.... so I plan to see it. Has decent reviews and could be a little popcorn fun! We shall see:)

Thinking same, looks fun and I love popcorn.

fernandito
02-19-2020, 11:09 AM

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties bro. :lol:

WeDealInLead
02-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Man, we can talk about anything from sacred geometry to trailer park boys (first three seasons) but Sonic is my line, namsayin? It's the snuggie of movies.

Do what wilt!

Ricky
02-19-2020, 03:25 PM
One of the Kindergarteners at school liked it, so make of that what you will. :lol:

Still Servant
02-19-2020, 05:57 PM
I moved away from Nintendo when the Genesis came out, so Sonic was a huge part of my childhood and early teenage years. Mario was great, but Sonic was fast and just plain cool.

The Sonic the Hedgehog film was better than it had any right to be. It really captured the character and the game series. I thought he could have been a little cooler, but that might be something that comes with age. If you're a Jim Carrey fan, he really channels his older films in this one. If you were a fan of Sonic back in the day, I see no reason why you won't enjoy the film.

Still Servant
02-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Check out my first movie round-up of the year featuring mini-reviews for Little Women, The Gentlemen, 1917, Bad Boys for Life and much more.

https://tinyurl.com/QuickFlicks2020

Ricky
02-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Nice write-ups, Mike!

Mattrick
02-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Uncut Gems was solid. I liked it more than Good Time. Good performances though I still prefer Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. Kevin Garnett was hilarious. I like the urgency in the film a lot. There was just something missing though. I'm not sure what.

4/5

fernandito
02-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Do you think Sandler and/or the film was snubbed at the Oscars?

webstar1000
02-21-2020, 03:15 PM
I don’t care what anyone says.... Sonic was fun and Carrey has still got it. So funny and it really made me want another Ace Ventura. BAD. This was a 7.5/10 for me.

Mattrick
02-21-2020, 03:23 PM

Not really. I'd have put The Lighthouse over it for Best Picture. Best Actor category was thick even with a clear favourite. Only performance I saw this year I felt was snubbed was Dafoe for The Lighthouse.

fernandito
02-21-2020, 03:48 PM
Lighthouse, Dafoe not getting nominated still pisses me off.

Still Servant
02-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Nice write-ups, Mike!

Thank you, Ricky!

Uncut Gems was solid. I liked it more than Good Time. Good performances though I still prefer Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. Kevin Garnett was hilarious. I like the urgency in the film a lot. There was just something missing though. I'm not sure what.

4/5

I knew you would like that one. I too prefer it over Good Time.

I do. I thought he gave a magnetic performance. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

Jean
02-22-2020, 01:48 AM

bears want to discuss it too!!!! downloading right now

DoctorZaius
02-22-2020, 08:38 AM
So I finally saw Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit while vacationing in Florida. I enjoyed Parasite, but it was no where near as good as I thought it was going to be, and certainly not the best picture of the year. I enjoyed Ford -vs- Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Jo Jo Rabbit more. I loved Jo Jo Rabbit - a real gem of a film.

Ricky
02-22-2020, 11:12 AM
I loved Jo Jo Rabbit - a real gem of a film.

I agree. I think it was my favorite of the BP nominees this year.

Heather19
02-22-2020, 11:28 AM
I really need to see Jojo Rabbit.

Still Servant
02-22-2020, 04:36 PM
So I finally saw Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit while vacationing in Florida. I enjoyed Parasite, but it was no where near as good as I thought it was going to be, and certainly not the best picture of the year. I enjoyed Ford -vs- Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Jo Jo Rabbit more. I loved Jo Jo Rabbit - a real gem of a film.

That's why, if possible, you have to get in on that shit before the hype train leaves the station. After all the awards and praise showered upon it, it was going to eb very difficult for the film to finally live up to expectations when you saw it.

Aremag
02-22-2020, 05:15 PM

Without having seen 1917, The Irishman or Little Women yet, I'd have given the best picture to Ford vs Ferrari. There was just something about that film to me that lifted it over the others. I enjoyed Parasite a little more than Jo Jo Rabbit with the other nominees I had seen slightly below that.

Ricky
02-22-2020, 06:19 PM
I honestly can't believe I made it through The Irishman. One of the most boring films I've ever seen. I have no problem with length if the story needs it, but The Irishman in no way did. It felt like Scorsese at his most indulgent. I felt zero connection to the plot or characters and thought it was in no way the big "gangster epic" that people make it out to be.

I still need to see Little Woman, Ford v. Ferrari, and Marriage Story.

webstar1000
02-22-2020, 06:43 PM

Agreed

mae
02-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Not only is Parasite the best film of the year, it's the best film of the decade, and I'll get even more hyperbolic and say it's one of the best films ever made. Yes.

Mattrick
02-22-2020, 08:19 PM
Not only is Parasite the best film of the year, it's the best film of the decade, and I'll get even more hyperbolic and say it's one of the best films ever made. Yes.

I can't agree it's the best of the decade. It ain't better than A Ghost Story.

webstar1000
02-23-2020, 03:45 AM

I have not seen this..... I see everything. Damm

Mattrick
02-23-2020, 11:22 AM

I have not seen this..... I see everything. Damm

Oh, you'll love A Ghost Story. Especially the pie scene.

Still Servant
02-23-2020, 02:11 PM

Without having seen 1917, The Irishman or Little Women yet, I'd have given the best picture to Ford vs Ferrari. There was just something about that film to me that lifted it over the others. I enjoyed Parasite a little more than Jo Jo Rabbit with the other nominees I had seen slightly below that.

I enjoyed Ford v Ferrari, but it's just such a paint by numbers film. It's the kind of film Hollywood was pumping out in the 90s that would always get BP noms. There's just nothing challenging about it, which is fine, but I need a little something more nowadays.

It's not my favorite of the decade, but it's in the discussion.

Yes it is.

Still Servant
02-23-2020, 02:12 PM
Also, Web would HATE Ghost Story. HATE!

If I'm wrong, I will stop coming to this site. No joke.

webstar1000
02-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Hahahahaha thanks man. I’m gonna pass

Still Servant
02-23-2020, 02:23 PM

Now you have to see it though. We need to find out who's right.

webstar1000
02-23-2020, 02:54 PM

Now you have to see it though. We need to find out who's right.

Ok, i will lol

Mattrick
02-23-2020, 05:15 PM

Yes it is.

Nah, Fam. A Ghost Story is best of the decade no question.

Webstar, you should watch Mike and Jay discuss A Ghost Story, and make sure you stay to watch the redbox reviews section at the end! Then you can make your mind up. It starts at about 21:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yav1kBLXMxI

mae
02-23-2020, 05:21 PM
A Ghost Story: 3.8 https://letterboxd.com/film/a-ghost-story-2017/
Parasite: 4.6 https://letterboxd.com/film/parasite-2019/

Mattrick
02-23-2020, 05:33 PM
A Ghost Story: 3.8 https://letterboxd.com/film/a-ghost-story-2017/
Parasite: 4.6 https://letterboxd.com/film/parasite-2019/

I'm amazed A Ghost Story has such a high average. I naturally assumed 8/10 people would hate it.

Still better than Parasite though. Parasite is a great film. A Ghost Story is a unique transcendental experience that clings to your bones like cellophane.

Heather19
02-24-2020, 05:10 AM

I was just going to say the same thing :lol:

There is no way A Ghost Story is better than Parasite. I normally love those types of films, yet even I struggled to make it through it. I can appreciate it, but I will never watch it again.

Mattrick
02-24-2020, 07:51 AM

I was just going to say the same thing :lol:

There is no way A Ghost Story is better than Parasite. I normally love those types of films, yet even I struggled to make it through it. I can appreciate it, but I will never watch it again.

I've already watched it like 10 times :o

fernandito
02-24-2020, 09:17 AM
I love Parasite, but one of the best films ever made? Y'all are smoking some bomb shit!

Matt - I've had Ghost Story on my queue for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I'm tempted to watch it now just for the comparisons going on right now.

mae
02-24-2020, 09:26 AM
I love Parasite, but one of the best films ever made? Y'all are smoking some bomb shit!

Absolutely, why not?

IMDb has it at #22 all-time: https://www.imdb.com/chart/top/
Letterboxd has it at #1: https://letterboxd.com/visdave34/list/official-top-250-narrative-feature-films/

webstar1000
02-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Absolutely, why not?

Letterboxd has it at #1: https://letterboxd.com/visdave34/list/official-top-250-narrative-feature-films/

Its FAR from the best film ever made. Why are we even having this conversation!? lol

Garrell
02-24-2020, 09:34 AM
I am ok with it winning the Oscar this year, a couple others could have also. One of the best ever is a stretch though.

fernandito
02-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Absolutely, why not?

So? IMDB also has The Dark Knight and Pulp Fiction in the Top 10, Fight Club and Inception in the top 20. Come on, you know damn well IMDB ratings are feeble credentials for stuff like this.

Its FAR from the best film ever made. Why are we even having this conversation!? lol
Tbf, Mae did say one of the best, not the best.

webstar1000
02-24-2020, 10:17 AM

Absolutely, why not?

So? IMDB also has The Dark Knight and Pulp Fiction in the Top 10, Fight Club and Inception in the top 20. Come on, you know damn well IMDB ratings are feeble credentials for stuff like this.

Tbf, Mae did say one of the best, not the best.

FAR FROM ONE OF THE BEST. haha I loved it and more than I thought I would but I can think of so many better films.

Ricky
02-24-2020, 02:59 PM

This! I enjoyed it, appreciate it, and can see it for its successes, but one of the best films of all time? Absolutely not. I still stand by my thought that people won't really remember Parasite 10, 20 years down the road. I'd be really surprised if it ends up attaining "classic" status.

Do people ever talk about The Artist anymore?

How often is The King's Speech brought up in movie conversations (even though that actually was my favorite of the BP noms that year)?

Is anyone putting Argo on their best-of-the-decade lists?

Parasite is having a buzzy moment now, but give it a minute and it'll fade.

Also this.

I am ok with it winning the Oscar this year, a couple others could have also. One of the best ever is a stretch though.

And this.

Mattrick
02-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Matt - I've had Ghost Story on my queue for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I'm tempted to watch it now just for the comparisons going on right now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o84sw9CmwYpAnRRni/giphy.gif

mae
02-24-2020, 03:17 PM
I don't remember Argo or The Artist at #22 of IMDb Top 250 ever. Parasite is a once in a generation film.

Ricky
02-24-2020, 03:18 PM
People are high on Parasite right now. Let's bookmark this and come back in a year or two. :lol:

Mattrick
02-24-2020, 03:30 PM
I don't remember Argo or The Artist at #22 of IMDb Top 250 ever. Parasite is a once in a generation film.

I doubt Parasite makes my top 10 for the decade. Maybe top 20.

webstar1000
02-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Not even my top 50 lol

fernandito
02-24-2020, 04:00 PM

This! I enjoyed it, appreciate it, and can see it for its successes, but one of the best films of all time? Absolutely not. I still stand by my thought that people won't really remember Parasite 10, 20 years down the road. I'd be really surprised if it ends up attaining "classic" status...

Parasite is having a buzzy moment now, but give it a minute and it'll fade.

I still maintain that Parasite is already a classic and will be remembered because it broke through barriers and opened the deadlock for International films.

Having said that, I don't think it will ultimately end up in Best Of All Time lists. We'll see...

Same. I need to sit down and put a list together, curious to see where it would land in my overall rankings.

fernandito
02-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Doctor Sleep

A feeble adaptation of the book that occasionally gets some things right but relies on nostalgia far too heavily. McGregor does what he can with the script but the film posits Torrance as little more than a recovering alcoholic thrust into action. Some impressive set pieces and cool visuals, but the film limps along to its (admittedly) tense climax.

2.5/5

Ricky
02-26-2020, 04:20 PM
I watched The Lighthouse last night and was pretty underwhelmed.

webstar1000
02-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Doctor Sleep

A feeble adaptation of the book that occasionally gets some things right but relies on nostalgia far too heavily. McGregor does what he can with the script but the film posits Torrance as little more than a recovering alcoholic thrust into action. Some impressive set pieces and cool visuals, but the film limps along to its (admittedly) tense climax.

2.5/5

Could not have said it better. I totally agree.

Heather19
02-27-2020, 04:47 AM
It's funny because I actually really enjoyed Dr. Sleep. That said I really hated the book, and I also love Kubrick's The Shining, so maybe that's why I enjoyed the film more.

Garrell
02-27-2020, 05:45 AM
I enjoyed the film and book.

JoJo Rabbit. Much better than I thought it would be. Very enjoyable and loved the perspective they used from the 10 year boys mind of things. 4/6

Aremag
02-27-2020, 06:41 AM
I enjoyed the director's cut of Dr Sleep. Can't compare it to the theatrical as I haven't watched it yet. Watched Knives Out on Tuesday and I think that might have overtaken Ford vs Ferrari for my favorite film of 2019.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 07:25 AM
I enjoyed the director's cut of Dr Sleep. Can't compare it to the theatrical as I haven't watched it yet. Watched Knives Out on Tuesday and I think that might have overtaken Ford vs Ferrari for my favorite film of 2019.

My fav film was Joker for sure... BUT John Wick 3 and Endgame were right there too...

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 07:26 AM
Invisible Man is getting RAVE reviews. Imax tonight for us to see it:)

Mattrick
02-27-2020, 06:05 PM
I didn't think much of Invisible Man as much as I love Elisabeth Moss. But then I saw Leigh Whannell made it and I loved Upgrade so I'm in.

Still Servant
02-27-2020, 06:25 PM
I enjoyed Doctor Sleep. I read the book last year and enjoyed that too.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 06:36 PM
I didn't think much of Invisible Man as much as I love Elisabeth Moss. But then I saw Leigh Whannell made it and I loved Upgrade so I'm in.

YOUR IN FOR A TREAT.

webstar1000
02-27-2020, 06:39 PM
The Invisible Man. Wow.

A solid 9.5/10. I loved this movie in more ways than I ever thought I would. It was brilliant and not what you expected. Everything about this movie was thrilling. I loved Upgrade to.... I hope we get another one. Our theater was packed on a stormy night so I expect this to do very well. It needs to.... its well acted... VERY well acted and the score is reminiscent of Inception. Very well done. Please go see this.

divemaster
02-28-2020, 08:25 AM
The Invisible Man. Wow.

A solid 9.5/10. I loved this movie in more ways than I ever thought I would. It was brilliant and not what you expected. Everything about this movie was thrilling. I loved Upgrade to.... I hope we get another one. Our theater was packed on a stormy night so I expect this to do very well. It needs to.... its well acted... VERY well acted and the score is reminiscent of Inception. Very well done. Please go see this.

It does look good. But the Washington Post reviewer didn't like it much. Said it was a good enough movie for what it was, but could have been so much more. Specifically, it's set up so that the viewer is not sure whether it's "real" what she's going through (if her dead ex-husband is truly messing with her), of if it's all in her head, or if someone is gaslighting her, etc. In other words, a true psychological mystery. However, the reviewer points out that the trailer basically makes these questions moot, as it gives it all away, so there's no real mystery or psychological aspect to the story at all. I guess that's not the movie's fault, but the reviewer would have loved a real psychological mystery and all she got was a by the numbers thriller.

Thoughts? I'll probably still see it even if it is a "by the numbers thriller," because those can be good also, if done well.

webstar1000
02-28-2020, 08:34 AM
The Invisible Man. Wow.

It does look good. But the Washington Post reviewer didn't like it much. Said it was a good enough movie for what it was, but could have been so much more. Specifically, it's set up so that the viewer is not sure whether it's "real" what she's going through (if her dead ex-husband is truly messing with her), of if it's all in her head, or if someone is gaslighting her, etc. In other words, a true psychological mystery. However, the reviewer points out that the trailer basically makes these questions moot, as it gives it all away, so there's no real mystery or psychological aspect to the story at all. I guess that's not the movie's fault, but the reviewer would have loved a real psychological mystery and all she got was a by the numbers thriller.

Thoughts? I'll probably still see it even if it is a "by the numbers thriller," because those can be good also, if done well.

I would see it. I disagree with the Post chap... I didn't see many things coming and it is NOT a standard slasher thriller. IT IS NOT by the numbers..... I do not see how it could have been more...

allasorte
02-28-2020, 11:56 AM

I loved Upgrade so this might be another very good "dark" type of movie.

Mattrick
02-28-2020, 07:04 PM

I loved Upgrade so this might be another very good "dark" type of movie.

I was surprised I liked Upgrade so much. I talked a lot of shit about Leigh Whannell for years...probably a lot in this thread over the years lol. But I'll always give credit where credit is due. I'll be the first to applaud Kevin James for making a good film.

DoctorZaius
02-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Late to the game again, as I catch up on the best picture nominees. Watched Joker last night. I went in with high expectations and was surprised I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. What a brilliant film. Still processing so much of it today. Easy to see why Phoenix won best actor. At the risk of starting trouble I will add Joker to my short list of Ford -vs- Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Jo Jo Rabbit that I enjoyed more than the actual winner, Parasite. Keep in mind, I still think Parasite is masterful. Women and Irishman still rank below it.

divemaster
02-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Late to the game again, as I catch up on the best picture nominees. Watched Joker last night. I went in with high expectations and was surprised I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. What a brilliant film. Still processing so much of it today. Easy to see why Phoenix won best actor. At the risk of starting trouble I will add Joker to my short list of Ford -vs- Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Jo Jo Rabbit that I enjoyed more than the actual winner, Parasite. Keep in mind, I still think Parasite is masterful. Women and Irishman still rank below it.

I also liked a number of movies better than Parasite. It was very good, mind you...very good; but maybe because I've seen like 300 Korean movies that Parasite doesn't seem to be the be-all-end-all of "OMG this changed the world for the next 25 years." I could list 25 Korean movies I liked as much or better than Parasite without breaking a sweat.

WeDealInLead
02-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Please do whenever you have the time.

divemaster
02-29-2020, 08:55 AM

In this thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1687-Your-25-Favorite-Movies&p=741027&viewfull=1#post741027

I contribute my personal list of highly rated Korean movies. At least, ones I liked a lot for various reasons. I think it's 7-8 years old and I could certainly add to it, and for sure most of those are not Oscar winners, or even "great" films--just movies that entertained me or just struck me the right way.

I've got to run right now, but sometime in the next day or so I'll cull out the ones I would put up there with Parasite.

Mattrick
02-29-2020, 12:50 PM

Post #339 in this thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1687-Your-25-Favorite-Movies

has my personal list of highly rated Korean movies. At least, ones I liked a lot for various reasons. I think it's 7-8 years old and I could certainly add to it, and for sure most of those are not Oscar winners, or even "great" films--just movies that entertained me or just struck me the right way.

I've got to run right now, but sometime in the next day or so I'll cull out the ones I would put up there with Parasite.

You can share a link to that specific post by right clicking the post number and copying the link location, or opening it and copying the url

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1687-Your-25-Favorite-Movies&p=741027&viewfull=1#post741027

divemaster
02-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Cool; thanks. I edited my post accordingly. :thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
02-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Thanks. I'm always looking for new things to try.

Garrell
02-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Invisible Man 5/6
Great movie, trailer did not spoil it for me. This was a classic suspense thriller from the first second on. Don’t miss this one.

Jean
03-01-2020, 02:06 AM
Not only is Parasite the best film of the year, it's the best film of the decade, and I'll get even more hyperbolic and say it's one of the best films ever made. Yes.YES YES YES!!! loved it!

People are high on Parasite right now. Let's bookmark this and come back in a year or two. :lol:Right, LOL

It's funny because I actually really enjoyed Dr. Sleep. That said I really hated the bookdidn't think I could love you even more. But that does it.

I also liked a number of movies better than Parasite. It was very good, mind you...very good; but maybe because I've seen like 300 Korean movies that Parasite doesn't seem to be the be-all-end-all of "OMG this changed the world for the next 25 years." I could list 25 Korean movies I liked as much or better than Parasite without breaking a sweat.
I am going to see like 300 Korean movies in the nearest future. Thanks to Parasite. And to you.

divemaster
03-01-2020, 11:42 AM
A lot of the Korean movies I like/love, and are on my list I linked, are "good" because of my personal preference. I do not mean to imply that any particular movie is "better" than Parasite, just like I wouldn't say that Airplane! is a "better" movie than The Godfather. Or that Predator is a "better" movie than Platoon. Only that if I'm choosing from my DVD collection, I'll pull down and watch Airplane! or Predator a lot more times than I'd choose the "important Oscar winner" movie.

Having said that, here's one that I rate higher than Parasite, and it meets the "important message" qualification that seems to have the Parasite lovers all in a tizzy (although the message is not at all the same). The movie is called Han Gong-ju. My initial thoughts were as follows:

Oh my god, what a powerful movie. I'm going to need a day or so to process this one. It's an emotional punch in the gut. With something like this, it's hard to say I was "entertained," but I was moved. This affected me to the core. I'll give you my rating up front. Thoughts to follow at some point; I can't hqrdly talk right now.

And my more robust review is below. I've put these in spoilers so I'm not gumming up the thread too much, and folks don't have to wade through a wall of text to get back to the main focus of the thread if they don't want to.

Han Gong-ju (2013)

I went into this completely cold. I knew nothing of the plot or circumstances of the film. I'm not going to give any major spoilers below, but will have to frame the discussion, so if you haven't seen it and want to go in blind (like I did, and very much recommend you doing as well), then read no further.

The movie starts off with a group of teachers surrounding Gong-ju, a teen girl about 16. Everyone is obviously distraught. "It's not your fault" they tell her, but it is soon obvious that she isn't welcome in her school any more. So her teacher schleps her off to another city and calls in a favor to get the principal of the new school to enroll her as a student. Since her mother and father are obviously absent from the picture, he convinces his own mother to take her in to live with her. The teacher's mother is not real keen on the idea.

I don't think I need to disclose any more actual plot points. The viewer is not clued in to exactly what Gong-ju did, until the movie is ready to reveal that. Sure, there are hints at the nature of the situation, but we don't know the details. We follow Gong-ju as she tries to get on with her high school life, and little by little the film opens itself up to us. And with every revelation, we get to know (and like) Gong-ju more and more.

Unlike the stereotypical circumstance of the school kids not accepting, or making fun, or bullying the "new kid," several of the female students are intrigued by her and try honestly to befriend her. Gong-ju revelas some talents that make the girls like and respect her even more. Gong-ju vacillates between accepting the friendship and setting rigid boundaries that test those friendships.

The last half hour of the movie is some of the most powerful cinema I can recall. We've gotten to know and love Gong-ju...and...and...well, it angers me to think how Korean society obviously considers girls. Like something to be discarded, I guess. Whether as a toy or a piece of trash. Once used, just throw it away. This applies to her parents, (some) of her peers, school administrators, and a large number of other adults. Even her teacher, who does show her kindness, seems to be motivated by getting rid of the problem by hiding it than by offering real help. Other adults in a position of authority behave despicably. There is a scene at the school that is just devastating. When the dad shows up, and we finally realize why, it is doubly devastating. The musical cue at the end is the final straw. I felt like someone reached into my gut and yanked emotions out of me I didn't know I had.

What makes it even more effective is that the movie is based on a true story. This really happened. I didn't know that going in to the movie, but a few wiki links I researched after watching made it quite obvious that the way Korean society was portrayed in the movie was 100% accurate as to how the girl was treated. This angers me.

One further thing to note: the movie was quite confusing in that it bounced between "present" and "flashback" with no real cues that was happening. I had to rewind and rewatch some scenes b/c at some points I was very confused about who Gong-ju was talking to and what their role was. Helpful hint: When Gong-ju is working at the 7-11; that's the past. The other store is the present. When she's talking with her long-haired friend, that's the past. The short-haired girl is the present. If you keep that straight, you can suss out the rest, but you really have to be paying attention. That's the only reason for the half-star deduction.

4.5 stars

divemaster
03-01-2020, 11:50 AM
And here's another one that really affected me and has some depth to it: A Girl at My Door

A Girl at My Door (2014)

Doo-na Bae stars as a police chief recently transferred to a dying seaside village. It seems she had some sort of scandal during her Seoul employment and her supervisors want her to lay low for a while and let things blow over. She does have some problems, not the least being her ability to drink copious amounts of soju each night. Like 3 liters or so as a nightcap. But she's determined to be the voice of law and order, even if it means running up against the town's main economic engine, a volatile lout who exploits illegal immigrant labor.

Ms. police chief soon notices a young teen girl, about 13, who is the town's whipping post. She is called a "whore slut brat" and beat upon--and this is by her own grandmother. She is teased and smacked around by her classmates. Her stepfather (same lout as above) is worse, especially when drunk, which is about every night. The girl gloms on to the police lady, who attempts to shield her from further abuse.

I was very much liking this movie. The main actors are all outstanding. We know Doo-nae Bae, of course. The teen girl is the same actress as the little girl in My Brand New Life, and the girl needing saving from The Man from Nowhere. Both actresses do amazing jobs here--Bae, as the stoic police woman who hardly emotes at all, except via those eyes and her ever-tightening facial expressions, and the young teen, who acts out like you might expect from a girl who has been abused her whole life. Or, maybe, how you might not expect. The actor playing the stepfather will have you hissing at the screen every time he shows up.

The plot and story, also, are compelling and had me along for the ride for sure.

Then, about two-thirds of the way in, some things played out that had me saying to myself "if this movie goes in THAT direction, and gives me yet another vision of nihilism that makes me want to curse the TV, curse the world, and curse humanity, and everything ends like that and ROLL CREDITS, I'm going to give this fucking movie ZERO STARS" and give a hearty middle finger to the Korean film industry that seems to relish not just making you feel bad, but feel suicidal.

But no! The movie does not take that path and instead goes in a different direction that I found unsettling, but interesting and, importantly, completely in line with the characters' experiences and motivations. I bought in 100%. Crisis averted. This is an amazingly good and effective film. The only reason it doesn't get the full 5 stars is that I try to give that rating to those films I see myself watching over and over again. I don't see this one getting 7 re-watches over the years, but I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime. Highly recommended.

4.5 stars

mae
03-01-2020, 12:24 PM
A Girl at My Door is indeed great but I wouldn't place it above Parasite. I do hope once our 2010s tournament starts this summer you would nominate A Girl at My Door and other great Korean films. I'd gladly second it. And I hope people seek it out.

Still Servant
03-01-2020, 02:28 PM
It's early, but The Invisible Man is the best 2020 film I've seen this year. Really well-made thriller. A pleasant surprise.

webstar1000
03-01-2020, 02:53 PM
It's early, but The Invisible Man is the best 2020 film I've seen this year. Really well-made thriller. A pleasant surprise.

I have to agree. Year is still new but it’s my fav so far. Quiet place 2 is my next big one to see. Will see Bloodshot before it but don’t have high hopes... I just cannot stand Vin Diesel.

Heather19
03-02-2020, 05:04 AM
So we watched Jojo Rabbit last night. You guys I wasn't that impressed by it.. It was ok, and I didn't hate it, but it's nothing I would rave about or care to watch again. Maybe my expectations were too high, because it seems like most people loved it. Plus we did just watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople people recently, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

fernandito
03-02-2020, 09:36 AM
And here's another one that really affected me and has some depth to it: A Girl at My Door

A Girl at My Door (2014)

Doo-na Bae stars as a police chief recently transferred to a dying seaside village. It seems she had some sort of scandal during her Seoul employment and her supervisors want her to lay low for a while and let things blow over. She does have some problems, not the least being her ability to drink copious amounts of soju each night. Like 3 liters or so as a nightcap. But she's determined to be the voice of law and order, even if it means running up against the town's main economic engine, a volatile lout who exploits illegal immigrant labor.

Ms. police chief soon notices a young teen girl, about 13, who is the town's whipping post. She is called a "whore slut brat" and beat upon--and this is by her own grandmother. She is teased and smacked around by her classmates. Her stepfather (same lout as above) is worse, especially when drunk, which is about every night. The girl gloms on to the police lady, who attempts to shield her from further abuse.

I was very much liking this movie. The main actors are all outstanding. We know Doo-nae Bae, of course. The teen girl is the same actress as the little girl in My Brand New Life, and the girl needing saving from The Man from Nowhere. Both actresses do amazing jobs here--Bae, as the stoic police woman who hardly emotes at all, except via those eyes and her ever-tightening facial expressions, and the young teen, who acts out like you might expect from a girl who has been abused her whole life. Or, maybe, how you might not expect. The actor playing the stepfather will have you hissing at the screen every time he shows up.

The plot and story, also, are compelling and had me along for the ride for sure.

Then, about two-thirds of the way in, some things played out that had me saying to myself "if this movie goes in THAT direction, and gives me yet another vision of nihilism that makes me want to curse the TV, curse the world, and curse humanity, and everything ends like that and ROLL CREDITS, I'm going to give this fucking movie ZERO STARS" and give a hearty middle finger to the Korean film industry that seems to relish not just making you feel bad, but feel suicidal.

But no! The movie does not take that path and instead goes in a different direction that I found unsettling, but interesting and, importantly, completely in line with the characters' experiences and motivations. I bought in 100%. Crisis averted. This is an amazingly good and effective film. The only reason it doesn't get the full 5 stars is that I try to give that rating to those films I see myself watching over and over again. I don't see this one getting 7 re-watches over the years, but I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime. Highly recommended.

4.5 stars

Good write up, I'll have to look for this. Rotten Tomatoes did a Top 25 Korean Films segment a few days ago and I believe this was one of them.

So we watched Jojo Rabbit last night. You guys I wasn't that impressed by it.. It was ok, and I didn't hate it, but it's nothing I would rave about or care to watch again. Maybe my expectations were too high, because it seems like most people loved it. Plus we did just watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople people recently, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I can't wait to watch this, one of the last Oscar nominees I have yet to watch.

Ricky
03-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Aw man. :(

I think my expectations were super low when I saw it, so maybe that does has something to do with it. I was just really surprised with how much I liked it. Especially when I first saw the trailer in theaters months ago, I thought it looked stupid.

Still Servant
03-02-2020, 06:03 PM
My expectations were at the right level. I loved it.

I'm glad you enjoyed Hunt for the Wilderpeople though. That's an underrated one right there.

Heather19
03-03-2020, 06:27 AM
My expectations were at the right level. I loved it.

I'm glad you enjoyed Hunt for the Wilderpeople though. That's an underrated one right there.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was so good! I think I was expecting something on that level, but this one fell a bit flat for me for some reason. I've been recommending that movie to tons of people since I saw it :lol:

St. Troy
03-04-2020, 10:23 AM
I finally saw Annabelle Comes Home, which I think many people found dull, but I thought it was mighty good, creepy all the way through (I don't mind a movie where not a lot happens).

St. Troy
03-04-2020, 10:49 AM
I just saw Paul, which had been out for years before I got to it.

I think I remember seeing ads when it came out and thinking "dumb," but recently I noticed A) it was on cable and B) it has Simon Pegg, so I DVRd it and watched it. I really liked it, but it wasn't wall-to-wall entertainment like Shaun Of The Dead or A Fantastic Fear Of Everything; I would describe it as feeling like someone took these British guys and tried to make an American movie with them (not that I don't like American things - I am American and read/watch/consume much domestic content - but I tend to prefer British comedy, acting, and music, so when something originates over there, I don't want it tempered with anything I already have here).

Lots of cool talent in small roles in Paul: Jeffrey Tambor was good; I like Kristen Wiig but nothing she did here was funny at all; David Koechner is always a hoot; Jason Bateman was fine (and I hope you people are all watching Ozark); Bill Hader and Joe Lo Truglio (Brooklyn Nine Nine!) were fine.

And it would be wrong if I didn't mention Nick Frost by name; he's quite a funny guy, deserving more than to be known as "that guy that's always next to Simon Pegg" (not that they don't make a fine team).

Mattrick
03-04-2020, 05:33 PM
I got halfway through Paul and tapped out.

DoctorZaius
03-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Just watched Can You Ever Forgive Me, with Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nominated performance. Absolutely no expectations other than I was killing time on HBO. Ended up watching it from beginning to end. A pretty damn good film. Great performance for McCarthy, but it's Richard E. Grant, also Oscar nominated, that is the real surprise here. Definitely worth checking this one out. 8.5/10

divemaster
03-05-2020, 09:56 AM

I have to agree. Year is still new but it’s my fav so far. Quiet place 2 is my next big one to see. Will see Bloodshot before it but don’t have high hopes... I just cannot stand Vin Diesel.

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It probable won't win any "best" votes from me, but when the DVD comes out I'll definitely buy it. I'd love to re-watch it and maybe hear a commentary or bonus features. I did note three or so (I won't say "plot holes") but "plot stretches" you kindof have to buy into, but since the story was compelling and the acting really good, I rolled with it.

3.5 / 5 (which, knowing me, would bump up to a 4 upon the DVD/bonus re-watch)

fernandito
03-05-2020, 10:01 AM
I'm actually watching that tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Just watched Can You Ever Forgive Me, with Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nominated performance...A pretty damn good film.

Yep; this was just plain good.

...it's Richard E. Grant, also Oscar nominated, that is the real surprise here.

Agreed; that character (and what he did with it) was one of the film's highlights.

webstar1000
03-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Just watched Can You Ever Forgive Me, with Melissa McCarthy's Oscar nominated performance. Absolutely no expectations other than I was killing time on HBO. Ended up watching it from beginning to end. A pretty damn good film. Great performance for McCarthy, but it's Richard E. Grant, also Oscar nominated, that is the real surprise here. Definitely worth checking this one out. 8.5/10

Where did you see it?

Garrell
03-05-2020, 10:42 AM

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It probable won't win any "best" votes from me, but when the DVD comes out I'll definitely buy it. I'd love to re-watch it and maybe hear a commentary or bonus features. I did note three or so (I won't say "plot holes") but "plot stretches" you kindof have to buy into, but since the story was compelling and the acting really good, I rolled with it.

3.5 / 5 (which, knowing me, would bump up to a 4 upon the DVD/bonus re-watch)

I saw a couple plot holes but still loved it. Not wanting perfection when I watch a movie, wanting fun and to be entertained and it more than did that.

fernandito
03-05-2020, 11:39 AM

just got an email from the theater I booked my tickets at; apparently they had to move up showtime up by 45 minutes due to a scheduling conflict, they're throwing in a pair of tickets and a tub of popcorn for the inconvenience.

Cha-ching :cool:

webstar1000
03-05-2020, 01:20 PM

just got an email from the theater I booked my tickets at; apparently they had to move up showtime up by 45 minutes due to a scheduling conflict, they're throwing in a pair of tickets and a tub of popcorn for the inconvenience.

It’s Awesome! Enjoy!

Ricky
03-05-2020, 03:30 PM

You win the day, sir. That's awesome.

fernandito
03-06-2020, 01:41 PM
The Invisible Man

I never thought a lingering shot of an empty hallway or door frame could fill me with so much dread. The film does an incredible job of ratching up the intensity through the use of simple but effective camera tricks, and Elisabeth Moss sells the hell out of an abused partner slowly losing her mind. Highly recommended.

4.5/5

DoctorZaius
03-06-2020, 08:00 PM

Where did you see it?

On HBO

webstar1000
03-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Good Time. Man, Robert Patterson is a good actor. I think he will kill it as the Batman. This was a solid 8/10 flick.

webstar1000
03-10-2020, 05:34 AM
WOWOWOW. I did notice some of these and the actor from Upgrade.. BUT check this out for any fans of both of these movies...

https://collider.com/the-invisible-man-easter-eggs/

fernandito
03-10-2020, 08:05 AM
Good Time. Man, Robert Patterson is a good actor. I think he will kill it as the Batman. This was a solid 8/10 flick.

Pattison was great in that. That's the kinda stuff people should be judging him on prior to Batman, not Twilight.

webstar1000
03-10-2020, 08:37 AM

Pattison was great in that. That's the kinda stuff people should be judging him on prior to Batman, not Twilight.

100%. He was SO GOOD. I am a huge fan.

Mattrick
03-10-2020, 04:19 PM
I enjoyed The Invisible Man quite a bit. I give it a 4/5, but I was just starting to get sick while seeing it that morning so it's possible that mitigated the film somewhat. I missed about five minutes or more around the job interview with a trip to the bathroom, and a bit later on as well.

I quite liked the hospital sequence a lot. It was really skillfully handled. It was done in away that allowed it to be creepy and intense without getting over-the-top and contrasting with how low key the rest of the film is. I think that burst of energy quite helped the film overall and did a good job of setting up the horror of climax at the guy's house with his daughter by showing it's not just a guy who is invisible, but someone who can use that invisibility to fuck people up. And I enjoyed the low key finale, which was allowed to function because of the hospital sequence being handled how it was. I like when a film can still find a way to give us some thrills and some action yet allow the climax of the film to be a story coming to a nice conclusion rather than a bunch of shit thrown at the screen.

St. Troy
03-11-2020, 08:51 AM
I recently saw Godzilla: King of The Monsters.

I always watch this type of movie because I like seeing huge things blow up, and I often (but not always) like monster movies, so I do get something out of them...yet I don't really like them too much, as the stories usually strike me as dumb (GKOTM and the Pacific Rim movies did) and the good cast usually goes to waste (in this one, they really rammed the cast full of people deserving better material; when David Strathairn popped up, I gave up - but then, it's always good to see Sally Hawkins, isn't it?).

Still, it would be silly of me to criticize these movies; they deliver what they promise, and they're good at what they do.

Still Servant
03-11-2020, 08:58 AM

I will add that people should check him out in two very underrated films: The Rover and The Lost City of Z. He's unrecognizable in The Lost City of Z.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2020, 08:27 AM
The Hunt:
Violent, bound to offend conservatives and liberals alike, this black comedy has something for everyone.
5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Aremag
03-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Finally got to see Crawl. Tense, fun and in the upper echelon of 2019 movies for me.

DoctorZaius
03-15-2020, 06:37 PM
Watched Begin Again with the family tonight. So impressed with this indy gem - a big small film. Nothing cliche about it. The whole cast (Ruffalo, Knightly, Levine, Steinfeld, Cordon, Green, and Def) is superb. Plays like a tribute to the writer/director's equally small film Once. Great stuff. 9/10.

Shannon
03-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Finally got to see Crawl. Tense, fun and in the upper echelon of 2019 movies for me.

Blegghhh! Rose and I couldn't wait for the girl or the dog to die. Lol

Iwritecode
03-16-2020, 06:21 AM
I watched 3 movies that were new to me over the weekend.

Halloween
This was the newest one by John Carpenter which is supposed to be a direct sequel to the original and completely ignores all the other sequels.
It mostly played out like all the other sequels but took out the fact that Laurie was Michael's sister and of course Dr. Loomis was long dead. Set on Halloween night, Michael escapes from a mental hospital that he'd been locked in for 40 years, kills a bunch of random people (including one babysitter of course) on his way to Laurie. She ends up killing him, the end. Really added nothing to the overall story of Michael Myers. I still like the Rob Zombie reboot better.

Overall I'd give it a 2.5/5.

Cars 3
I had heard some things about this movie so I wasn't really surprised with the big "twist" ending. I liked the original movie but hated the 2nd one. It was good to see them sort of go back to their roots. Kinda followed along the Rocky/Creed story-line where the student becomes the teacher.

Give it a 4/5.

Replicas
I really only half paid attention to this movie. Mostly had it on as background noise. The special effects seemed pretty low-budget for a newer movie. Also some of the lines delivered by Keanu Reeves were really stiff and awkward. Found that odd since he's a pretty good actor.

Found a review that spells it out pretty well:

Equal parts plot holes and unintentional laughs, Replicas is a ponderously lame sci-fi outing that isn't even bad enough to be so bad it's good.

Give it a 1.5/5

Tommy
03-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Some of the best films I've seen so far this year

The Gentlemen
A Ghost Story
Parasite
The Invisible Man
Amadeus Director's Cut

Ricky
03-16-2020, 02:09 PM
I watched 3 movies that were new to me over the weekend.

Halloween
This was the newest one by John Carpenter which is supposed to be a direct sequel to the original and completely ignores all the other sequels.
It mostly played out like all the other sequels but took out the fact that Laurie was Michael's sister and of course Dr. Loomis was long dead. Set on Halloween night, Michael escapes from a mental hospital that he'd been locked in for 40 years, kills a bunch of random people (including one babysitter of course) on his way to Laurie. She ends up killing him, the end. Really added nothing to the overall story of Michael Myers. I still like the Rob Zombie reboot better.

Overall I'd give it a 2.5/5.

Cars 3
I had heard some things about this movie so I wasn't really surprised with the big "twist" ending. I liked the original movie but hated the 2nd one. It was good to see them sort of go back to their roots. Kinda followed along the Rocky/Creed story-line where the student becomes the teacher.

Give it a 4/5.

Replicas
I really only half paid attention to this movie. Mostly had it on as background noise. The special effects seemed pretty low-budget for a newer movie. Also some of the lines delivered by Keanu Reeves were really stiff and awkward. Found that odd since he's a pretty good actor.

Found a review that spells it out pretty well:

Equal parts plot holes and unintentional laughs, Replicas is a ponderously lame sci-fi outing that isn't even bad enough to be so bad it's good.

Give it a 1.5/5

1. You watched Halloween outside of the Halloween season? Such a rebel. :lol:

2. I loved the new one Halloween, but can see where you're coming from about some of the similar stuff. Halloween Kills is coming out later this year so now you're all caught up. :thumbsup:

3. Replicas was pretty lame, but I ended up enjoying it because it was such an easy, mindless watch.

Aremag
03-16-2020, 02:12 PM

Blegghhh! Rose and I couldn't wait for the girl or the dog to die. Lol

Oh at the end I was hoping a gator was going to get her.

forevershellfish
03-23-2020, 03:20 AM
Avengers: Endgame 9/10

Garrell
03-23-2020, 02:58 PM
The Hunt - Fun exciting and unpredictable. Tarantino ish. 5/6
Good Will Hunting - Final watched and enjoyed it. 5\6
Maybe I will watch ET and the Indiana Jones movies (not a Harrison Ford fan, except Star Wars)

allasorte
03-23-2020, 03:12 PM
The Hunt:
Violent, bound to offend conservatives and liberals alike, this black comedy has something for everyone.
5/6 beers on the RFSRS

It real does. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

webstar1000
03-23-2020, 03:29 PM
The Hunt:
5/6 beers on the RFSRS

It real does. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this.

It was good but I had it built up more and ultimately was let down. 6.5/10 for me

webstar1000
03-23-2020, 05:05 PM
The Platform... on Netflix is one damm good horror movie. It’s insane. 8.5/10

Still Servant
03-23-2020, 05:50 PM
The Platform... on Netflix is one fall good horror movie. It’s insane. 8.5/10

I'm hearing good things about this one. I'm intrigued.

Ricky
03-23-2020, 06:13 PM
It's next on my list...once I watch all my TV shows for the week.

Heather19
03-24-2020, 05:23 AM
Watched The Lighthouse last night. Really enjoyed it. The cinematography in it was amazing. I listened to a little bit of the commentary and it was fascinating to hear how they did certain shots. There was also a documentary on the dvd which was equally intriguing. It basically covered the whole production. I love behind the scenes footage like that.

fernandito
03-25-2020, 07:05 AM
The Lighthouse is definitely an intriguing fable. All the nods to Greek and Norse mythology made it that much more enjoyable for me.

Aremag
03-31-2020, 08:06 PM
Just watched The Invisible Man. I thought it was a decent take on a classic story with a fairly predictable "twist". I'd give it like 3.5 out of 5.

webstar1000
04-02-2020, 10:09 AM
2021 will be arguably my most anticipated year of film. EVER.

https://collider.com/upcoming-movies-2021-release-dates/#october

Still Servant
04-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Well, yeah, because everything that was supposed to come out in 2020 will now be joining the 2021 films! :lol:

webstar1000
04-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Well, yeah, because everything that was supposed to come out in 2020 will now be joining the 2021 films! :lol:

Only a couple thus far. I was pumped before (not at all for 2020) but I noticed this list and remembered how pumped I should be! Haha

Ricky
04-02-2020, 03:36 PM

:lol:

fernandito
04-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Ghost Story - 5/5
Jojo Rabbit - 5/5
The Art of Self Defense - 4/5

DoctorZaius
04-17-2020, 02:44 PM

:lol:

One big assumption here is that the 2021 films were even completed.

divemaster
04-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

Werner Herzog directs Klaus Kinski as the titular creature of the night. It's got the characters of "Dracula" (incl. Jonathan Harker, Mina, Renfield, Lucy, and Van Helsing). And of course Count Dracula himself. But this is not Bela Legosi's Count, this is a reimagining of Max Schreck's Count Orlock. But, totally against type, Kinski plays his Dracula as a mopey, perpetually sad vampyre. I kept waiting for him to bust it out, but he never really did. (The film was rated PG fercryinoutloud). Very atmospheric, however. Afterwards, I just had to go watch Coppola's 1994 version, which has everything a good Dracula movie should.

Oh, and it has the most annoying Renfield in the history of film.

2.5 stars

Fitzcarraldo (1982)

Hoo boy, where to start? Werner Herzog, again directing Klaus Kinski. Yes, this is that movie. The one with the huge actual ship in the Amazon rain forest. I watched the movie; watched it again with the commentary; read various articles about the making of the movie (as well as the real-life "Fitzgerald" would-be rubber baron on which this film is based), which led to reading up on the anger-challenged Kinski and how the director and other cast tried to handle him. Usually, it involved threatening to kill him. Literally. It seems that the number of movies where someone threatened to kill Kinski was more than those where they didn't.

For example, at one point during the jungle shoot of Fitzcarraldo, one of the indigenous extras came up to Herzog and offered to kill Kinski for him. Not "threatened" to kill him, but offered to kill him, as a favor to the director, the cast, the crew, and possibly for the rest of humanity. Herzog thought it over long and hard (he himself had pointed a gun at Kinski during Aguirre and was all geared up to shoot the raging psychopath if he stormed off the set one more time), and decided against it. Herzog had already had to reshoot half of Fitzcarraldo when the original actor (Jason Robards) got dysentery and had to quit the picture. And Herzog was damned intent on getting that ship over the jungle mountain. And he did. And only 3 people (if I recall) died during filming; not including the one crew member who was logging trees when he got bit by a very deadly snake. So he decided that rather than die right there in the jungle, he'd take his handy dandy chain saw and saw off his own foot. Well, he lived.

I really need to read/watch some of the documentaries and autobiographical works about Herzog and Kinski. This stuff is fascinating.

I guess I haven't actually discussed the movie itself. Well, my rating is 4.5 stars, mainly for the sheer audacity and spectacle. No other director would have done this. No other director could have done this.

fernandito
04-20-2020, 07:56 AM
Seven Psychopaths - 4/5
The Ritual - 4/5
The Death of Stalin - 5/5
Super Dark Times - 3/5

St. Troy
04-20-2020, 10:58 AM
I recently saw How To Lose Friends & Alienate People. I checked it out because it has Simon Pegg, but this is much more rom-com territory, which is not my thing (although I can probably think of 5 or 6 rom-coms that I've enjoyed, so maybe I should be honest with myself).

Anyway, because of that, it wasn't as enjoyable as I'd have liked (and my dislike for Megan Fox didn't help), but it was good enough often enough, I suppose.

St. Troy
04-20-2020, 10:59 AM

The Death Of Stalin was indeed a great goddamn film.

St. Troy
04-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Have I mentioned that I recently saw It Chapter 2?:emot-flame:

fernandito
04-21-2020, 10:24 AM

I'm in love with the dialog in that film. You just have to revel in the absurdist aspect of everything in it, a satirical take on some very real, very serious shit that happened.

Randall Flagg
04-21-2020, 11:23 AM

I'm in love with the dialog in that film. You just have to revel in the absurdist aspect of everything in it, a satirical take on some very real, very serious shit that happened.
Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

St. Troy
04-22-2020, 06:41 AM

Yes, perfect. So much harder to put together than the average historical fiction comedy! And the cast killed (great that the material lived up to the cast; that's one of the problems I anticipate when a cast seems top-heavy, but no such issue here).

Merlin1958
04-22-2020, 07:03 AM

Thought you would slip one by me, huh? No way!!! You've gotta see someone about these strange desires you have for, Tim Curry in clown make-up!! "Kiss me, fat boy" is not and will never be the basis for a lasting relationship!!! :wtf:

The Gentlemen

I am not the in depth reviewer others here are, but I know what I like and I enjoyed the crap out of this film. Guy Ritchie, doing what he does. He entertains us with quick witted, fast paced story telling of a criminal nature. A little heavy on the Brittish colloquialisms, which can be a little daunting, but otherwise a fun ride through the criminal enterprises across the pond!!!

5 of 6 beers

St. Troy
04-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Thought you would slip one by me, huh? No way!!! You've gotta see someone about these strange desires you have for, Tim Curry in clown make-up!! "Kiss me, fat boy" is not and will never be the basis for a lasting relationship!!! :wtf:

Hey, he also has a hell of a sense of humor.

The Gentlemen

I am not the in depth reviewer others here are, but I know what I like and I enjoyed the crap out of this film.

That's my type of review right there.

Merlin1958
04-22-2020, 11:53 AM

Hey, he also has a hell of a sense of humor.

The Gentlemen

I am not the in depth reviewer others here are, but I know what I like and I enjoyed the crap out of this film.

That's my type of review right there.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Still Servant
04-22-2020, 03:59 PM
2020 hasn't gone as planned from a moviegoing standpoint, but The Gentlemen was by far my favorite theater experience of 2020. It deserved better than to be buried in January.

Merlin1958
04-25-2020, 09:29 AM
I won't offer a review of this film, but TRUST ME this is a no doubt MUST SEE:

The Last Full Measure

Cast Includes:

Samuel L. Jackson
Ed Harris
Christopher Plummer
William Hurt
John Heard

i confess to never having heard a word about this film. Neither a trailer or online, nothing. DTV doesn't list it as a straight to video or VOD, but it's a gem available for rental and perfect for 2 hours time well spent during the quarantine. If you enjoyed "Hacksaw Ridge", see this!!!!

Merlin1958
04-25-2020, 11:04 AM
I put THE LAST FULL MEASURE and THE GENTLEMEN on my Netflix list, thanks Bill.
I recently watched PARASITE, 9 out of 10, much better than what I was expecting, and THE LIGHTHOUSE, 5 out of 10, much worse than what I was expecting, and BETWEEN WORLDS, 3 out of 10, can't win 'em all, Mister Cage!, STAN & OLLIE, 5 out of 10, interesting but I never found the original duo funny either, BLACK KLANSMAN, 7 out of 10, I liked it but was turned cold by the inevitable Trump bashing at the end which was one sided and skewered.
I just got PRIMAL in the mail today, along with my $1200 check!

The last movies I saw at the theater before they closed were THE INVISIBLE MAN, 8 out of 10, nice new version, CALL OF THE WILD, 5 out of 10, for the kiddies, BIRDS OF PREY, 3 out of 10, didn't care for it at all, 1917, 7 out of 10, nice special effects, and that's far enough back!

Well, thank you as well. Picked a few of the better rated films out of your post as well!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
04-25-2020, 02:50 PM
I won't offer a review of this film, but TRUST ME this is a no doubt MUST SEE:

The Last Full Measure

Cast Includes:

Samuel L. Jackson
Ed Harris
Christopher Plummer
William Hurt
John Heard

i confess to never having heard a word about this film. Neither a trailer or online, nothing. DTV doesn't list it as a straight to video or VOD, but it's a gem available for rental and perfect for 2 hours time well spent during the quarantine. If you enjoyed "Hacksaw Ridge", see this!!!!

Saw it pre cv19 in a theater.
Excellent movie.

Still Servant
04-27-2020, 04:36 PM
I remember seeing a trailer for The Last Full Measure shortly before it was released, but I don't know if it ever got released around me. Maybe it came and went without me noticing.

I will throw another film out there that just got released. Hugh Jackman in Bad Education. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I'm just starved for something new, but I really enjoyed it.

Merlin1958
04-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Added BAD EDUCATION to my Netflix list.
I would not recommend PRIMAL. It's just too stupid and predictable.

Bad Education, takes place in my old stomping grounds. I lived on Long Island. My Telecom firm had the Roslyn Hotel as a client. Very quaint and swanky joint. lol

fernandito
04-29-2020, 07:33 AM
Watched a couple films last night

Sorry to Bother You - 4/5
Triangle - 4.5/5

Still Servant
04-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Triangle - 4.5/5

Sorry to Bother You is such a unique mind fuck. More people need to check that one out.

mae
04-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Yes, Triangle too.

fernandito
04-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Triangle - 4.5/5

Sorry to Bother You is such a unique mind fuck. More people need to check that one out.
It's good. A little heavy handed, but it's certainly unique.

Yes, Triangle too.
I loved it. It's so great when a film sneaks up on you like this and you end up liking it more than you thought you would.

allasorte
04-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Triangle - 4.5/5

It's good. A little heavy handed, but it's certainly unique.

Yes, Triangle too.
I loved it. It's so great when a film sneaks up on you like this and you end up liking it more than you thought you would.

A buddy mentioned Sorry to Bother You to watch a year ago. I really liked it and I never saw anything coming. It was definitely something to watch that no one talks about.

St. Troy
04-30-2020, 07:32 AM
I recently watched Slaughterhouse Rulez, mainly because it has Simon Pegg. Of course, movies with Simon Pegg aren't automatically "Simon Pegg movies," but this also has Nick Frost (who costars with Pegg in greatness such as Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz), so I figured I was in for a few laughs.

It turned out I was in for very few laughs. It wasn't terrible, but I can't praise it much. Still, anyone attracted by the trailer should probably go ahead and give it a chance.

DoctorZaius
04-30-2020, 07:49 AM

Watched The Platform and, wow! It's insane in some really interesting ways. Fascinatingly original. Leaves you with lots to process. I agree with 8.5/10 - surprised that Kris and I finally agree on something movie related.

webstar1000
04-30-2020, 07:53 AM

Watched The Platform and, wow! It's insane in some really interesting ways. Fascinatingly original. Leaves you with lots to process. I agree with 8.5/10 - surprised that Kris and I finally agree on something movie related.

haha We do on some stuff brother! :)

fernandito
04-30-2020, 12:43 PM
I stayed away from Platform because everyone I spoke to said it sucked, and online impressions aren't favorable either. Are y'all telling me that's not the case?

Ricky
04-30-2020, 02:33 PM
The Platform definitely does not suck. I could see some elements that some viewers wouldn't like, but I really enjoyed it overall. The ending fell a little flat for me, though.

I watched Color Out of Space today and...well, that was somethin'. :|

Still Servant
04-30-2020, 06:03 PM
I put TRIANGLE on my Netflix list, thanks.
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU sounded familiar. I found it on my movies I've seen at the theater list, and then I sort of remembered not liking it very much, but I can hardly remember it.

Hmmm, either you are thinking of another film or you weren't paying attention. I can see Sorry to Bother You being a film people hate, but it's not something that should vanish from one's memory very easily. Especially about halfway through the film where it's revealed there are talking horse people. :lol:

Garrell
04-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Platform was flatform. Had great potential and was decent most of the way. The ending was sadly horrible. Ruined a good movie.
Peanut Butter Falcon was awesome.

Merlin1958
05-01-2020, 12:00 AM
Don't bother with "Underwater" or "The Way Back". Underwater, could have been a decent film if not for the fact that there are some hard to swallow tech elements and three quarters of the film is so dark and well, underwater that you can't follow the action. "The Way Back" begins as a typical film in the genre and plays fairly well, but then about two thirds of the way through forgets what it is and abruptly finish's with no moral message or redemption. Suffice to say that you never really see, Affleck find a way back in the end.

Anyone watch, The Last Full Measure" since I last posted about it? Curious what others might have to say.

Jean
05-01-2020, 12:10 AM
Yes, Triangle too.
I loved it. It's so great when a film sneaks up on you like this and you end up liking it more than you thought you would.my feelings exactly. I started watching it with interest, then, approximately one third in, grew bored and sure it wouldn't get any better; then it suddenly did, then it ended superbly, and remained in memory, in an uneasy way (it's a praise).

The last movie I saw was Gretel & Hansel. It had everything to become a great film: the premise, the actors, the cinematography; also, it was Canadian, which always makes a bear expect something from a horror movie. But it desperately lacked screenwriting, and, alas, came to nothing; I can hardly call it a movie at all. Just... some video-phantasy on a theme. Very disappointed.

St. Troy
05-01-2020, 05:55 AM
G&H is on my Netflix list.
I know I'll be disappointed, but I have to see it anyway.

Sometimes a downward shift in expectations just before seeing/reading something actually helps - maybe you'll luck out and like it after all.

fernandito
05-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Yes, Triangle too.
I loved it. It's so great when a film sneaks up on you like this and you end up liking it more than you thought you would.my feelings exactly. I started watching it with interest, then, approximately one third in, grew bored and sure it wouldn't get any better; then it suddenly did, then it ended superbly, and remained in memory, in an uneasy way (it's a praise).

As the ending unfolded, the only thing I could think of was

Roland reaching the top of the Tower and realizing he had to start the journey over again :lol:

The last movie I saw was Gretel & Hansel. It had everything to become a great film: the premise, the actors, the cinematography; also, it was Canadian, which always makes a bear expect something from a horror movie. But it desperately lacked screenwriting, and, alas, came to nothing; I can hardly call it a movie at all. Just... some video-phantasy on a theme. Very disappointed.

*audible sigh*

It was my girl's choice for date night, and she chose this movie of all movies to watch, and I agreed even though I knew it was going to be bad. It had its moments, but overall it's just as you said - a hollow attempt at film making.

But hey, at least she was happy <_<

Garrell
05-01-2020, 11:03 AM
G&H was just ok. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.

Ricky
05-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Platform was flatform. Had great potential and was decent most of the way. The ending was sadly horrible. Ruined a good movie.

I wouldn't say that the ending ruined the movie, but I agree that it fell flat. I expected another 5-10 minutes after the film ended to see what happened afterhe sent the girl up.

Underwater...three quarters of the film is so dark and well, underwater that you can't follow the action.

This was one of my big problems with it as well. I had trouble following a lot of what was going on. Along with the underwater darkness of everything, the camera movements were so herky-jerky.

Still Servant
05-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Nope, I really, truly saw it, it just didn't make that much of an impression I guess. Different strokes for different folks.
I saw THE PEANUT BUTTER FALCON today and thought it was pretty good.

That's cool. I get that. Did it ring a bell when I mentioned the horse people though?

The Peanut Butter Falcon was really uplifting film. I loved it.

Aremag
05-04-2020, 05:57 AM
Watched The Gentlemen yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd have to give it a 4 out of 5. It might have been higher but I sometimes thought I was watching a McConaughey commercial for an unspecified product.

fernandito
05-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Blue Ruin - 3.5/5
Green Room - 4/5

So I went on a Jeremy Saulnier run after seeing all the praise on here. He's definitely a director to keep an eye on, but I don't know if he's on that Ari Aster, Robert Eggers plane yet. Need to see a little more from his films first. Hopefully his next film is a knockout.

Still Servant
05-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Blue Ruin - 3.5/5
Green Room - 4/5

So I went on a Jeremy Saulnier run after seeing all the praise on here. He's definitely a director to keep an eye on, but I don't know if he's on that Ari Aster, Robert Eggers plane yet. Need to see a little more from his films first. Hopefully his next film is a knockout.

No, he's probably not. It's been a long time since we've seen a director come out of the gate like Aster. Recently, Damien Chazelle comes to mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed those two though.

Shannon
05-04-2020, 09:47 PM
So, I'm a little out of the loop, but Rose and I just watched the latest Grudge movie.

Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

webstar1000
05-05-2020, 02:45 AM
Extraction.... great Netflix movie that would have shown better in theatres. 7.5/10

Ricky
05-05-2020, 05:49 AM
So, I'm a little out of the loop, but Rose and I just watched the latest Grudge movie.

Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it yet but my hopes aren't high. I'll take anything with Lin Shaye, though.

St. Troy
05-05-2020, 06:39 AM
I recently watched Slaughterhouse Rulez, mainly because it has Simon Pegg. Of course, movies with Simon Pegg aren't automatically "Simon Pegg movies," but this also has Nick Frost (who costars with Pegg in greatness such as Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz)...

Looks like I forgot to mention that I saw Hot Fuzz a couple months ago. Same level of greatness as Shaun Of The Dead, which is to say - very high. At the beginning of the movie, I saw Martin Freeman, Bill Nighy and Steve Coogan (I fucking love Coogan; he's my favorite part of The Other Guys - "not a bribe") and thought my God, I had no idea, this is going to be amazing, but then they were in virtually none of the movie, just very small roles. Still, it was cool that they popped up at all.

Even beyond those, the cast had some nice surprises: Timothy Dalton, David Bradley, Jim Broadbent, Bill Bailey!, Lucy Punch...and then we have Olivia Colman. A) she's a great actress in general (Broadchurch, yes, but more too - seek her out if you're unfamiliar); B) it's cool that, as accomplished as she is with drama, she'll do a goofy comedy such as this, and C)...I have never gotten this vibe from her before...and I did not know I could even get this vibe from her. I'll just say I enjoyed her presence here and leave it at that.

I guess what I'm really searching for in life is more Pegg/Frost/Edgar Wright movies, because these are the ones that kick total ass. (There is but one more of these that I haven't seen: The World's End, which I'll see just as soon as it's available for free to me.) Pegg has said that they'll definitely do another when they can find time, and that's welcome news.

Heather19
05-07-2020, 05:16 AM
Watched The Gentlemen last night. It started off a bit slow with all the narration and jumping to quick clips of what had happened, but once that settled down it got better. I kind of wish he omitted that storytelling aspect from the film and I think I would have enjoyed it immensely more. It was definitely more in line with his earlier works which I love, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as those. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations or something.