PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

allasorte
11-23-2019, 06:31 PM
I found it slow. Yes. LOVED Brad Pitt. HE was def my favorite character and that ending!!!!! But yes, seemed like a lot of silly filler. The whole in Rome thing was just a waste of the viewers time and could have shortened the movie to a more respectable 2 hours. I would say you are pretty bang on but I had in my mind a 7. So very close brother!

Damn! I was going to say 7!

I loved the ending as well, just not a fan of the changing history approach. Otherwise, I wish it was shorter, but overall I really enjoyed the movie. Leo And Brad's acting was fantastic.

webstar1000
11-23-2019, 06:33 PM
I found it slow. Yes. LOVED Brad Pitt. HE was def my favorite character and that ending!!!!! But yes, seemed like a lot of silly filler. The whole in Rome thing was just a waste of the viewers time and could have shortened the movie to a more respectable 2 hours. I would say you are pretty bang on but I had in my mind a 7. So very close brother!

Damn! I was going to say 7!

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-25-2019, 11:45 AM
A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD - Despite all the gratuitous sex and violence - a 6 out of 10 for me.

Ricky
11-25-2019, 03:04 PM
:rofl:

But really that low? Aw man. :(

Still Servant
11-25-2019, 05:10 PM
:rofl:

But really that low? Aw man. :(

I enjoyed it. It's a pretty heart-warming film. I knew going in that Hanks is more of a supporting role, but for those not in the know, they could walk away a little disappointed.

I also saw Ford v. Ferrari this weekend. I enjoyed that one as well, but I couldn't help but feel like it didn't quite hit the mark of a top tier 2019 film for me. The performances were fantastic and the direction was great, but something was missing that didn't put it over the edge for me. This is not a knock against the film, at least it's not meant to be, but the film could have been made in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. It just has that formulaic Hollywood feel that we got so used to. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it means the film is very light on surprises etc.

In a weaker year, I could see both films cracking my top 10 for the year, but there's no way I see that happening this year.

divemaster
11-25-2019, 07:05 PM
I also saw Ford v. Ferrari this weekend....but something was missing that didn't put it over the edge for me. This is not a knock against the film, at least it's not meant to be, but the film could have been made in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. It just has that formulaic Hollywood feel that we got so used to. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it means the film is very light on surprises etc.

How do you have "surprises" in a bio-film / true story?

This was a great movie. Second-best I've seen this year.

divemaster
11-25-2019, 07:13 PM
A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD - Despite all the gratuitous sex and violence - a 6 out of 10 for me.

Just got back from seeing this. It's a "perfect" film. What I mean is, it accomplishes what it set out to do. Nary a single mis-step. If one is looking for killer robots, or gangsters seeking vengeance, or car chases, then, yes, one would be disappointed. But if you go in with the understanding that you are going to see a film about the true nature of Mr. Rogers, well, where are the faults?

divemaster
11-25-2019, 07:20 PM
MIDWAY

I never saw Pearl Harbor b/c I read reviews that suggested it was pretty much a sappy soap opera set amongst a military incident. But I read that Midway was more tied to the axtual battle.

I'm glad. I don't need a bunch of sappiness when watching a war movie based on a true event. I liked this a lot. The planning, the strategy, the Intel, the U.S. vs. the Japs. Really good movie. Thumbs up!

Tommy
11-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Just got back from seeing this. It's a "perfect" film. What I mean is, it accomplishes what it set out to do. Nary a single mis-step. If one is looking for killer robots, or gangsters seeking vengeance, or car chases, then, yes, one would be disappointed. But if you go in with the understanding that you are going to see a film about the true nature of Mr. Rogers, well, where are the faults?

This movie made me realize what a horrible person I really am and I am thankful for that. I teared up more than once. It actually makes me want to be a better person as corny as that sounds.

If only Arthur Fleck had had a meeting with Mr. Rogers.....

Heather19
11-26-2019, 05:12 AM
Have any of you seen the documentary that came out a year or two ago about Mr. Rogers? And how does this compare? I loved the documentary.

Ricky
11-26-2019, 03:09 PM
If only Arthur Fleck had had a meeting with Mr. Rogers.....

Oh man. :rofl:

Have any of you seen the documentary that came out a year or two ago about Mr. Rogers? And how does this compare? I loved the documentary.

I haven't seen either, but I was wondering the same thing.

Also, has anyone seen Frozen II? I haven't seen many reviews so was wondering how it was. I know it made a gajillion dollars already (not that money equates to quality).

Still Servant
11-26-2019, 05:28 PM
I also saw Ford v. Ferrari this weekend....but something was missing that didn't put it over the edge for me. This is not a knock against the film, at least it's not meant to be, but the film could have been made in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. It just has that formulaic Hollywood feel that we got so used to. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it means the film is very light on surprises etc.

How do you have "surprises" in a bio-film / true story?

This was a great movie. Second-best I've seen this year.

Just because it's a true story, doesn't mean it can't have surprises. I had never heard of Ken Miles and although I've heard of the Shelby Cobra, I didn't know who it was named after. As a famous story, the Titanic this is not.

I suppose I'm about to contradict myself by saying the film actually had a pretty big surprise with the death of Ken Miles at the end.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I knew exactly where the film was going to go before it went there because I've seen similar films like it. Again, it's a really good film, I just think there's a few better than it this year.

I loved the documentary. It was such an uplifting film. This is nothing like it. You really don't learn a lot about Mr. Rogers. As I mentioned, he's really not the focus of the film. It's really about this journalist who is doing a story about Mr. Rogers. We see the positive impact Mr. Rogers has on his life and the fact that Mr. Rogers is a larger than life figure, but the film really doesn't go into the life-changing affect he had on millions of young children.

Heather19
11-26-2019, 06:15 PM

I loved the documentary. It was such an uplifting film. This is nothing like it. You really don't learn a lot about Mr. Rogers. As I mentioned, he's really not the focus of the film. It's really about this journalist who is doing a story about Mr. Rogers. We see the positive impact Mr. Rogers has on his life and the fact that Mr. Rogers is a larger than life figure, but the film really doesn't go into the life-changing affect he had on millions of young children.

Thanks for the info Mike. I had no idea Mr. Rogers wasn't the main character until you mentioned it. Do you think I would like it? Maybe I'll wait until the dvd comes out to see it. I was wanting to see it, but now finding out that it's not even really about Mr. Rogers life, I'm not as excited, and I'm worried it'll pale in comparison to the documentary.

Ricky
11-27-2019, 06:29 AM
I'm hoping to see it over Thanksgiving weekend, but I was hoping there would be more Mr. Rogers too. :(

Tommy
11-27-2019, 07:29 AM
For the purposes of this film, you really learn all you need to know about the man through the eyes of the people around him and through his actions and the effects he had on others.

That being said, I really want to see the documentary.

Heather19
11-27-2019, 07:40 AM
:o Tommy if you haven't seen the documentary you must. It was so good.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-27-2019, 12:12 PM
I think the Russians had something to do with it.

Tommy
11-27-2019, 02:32 PM
:o Tommy if you haven't seen the documentary you must. It was so good.

I shall make it so. :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-27-2019, 06:32 PM
THE SISTERS BROTHERS - 9.5 out of 10

Still Servant
11-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info Mike. I had no idea Mr. Rogers wasn't the main character until you mentioned it. Do you think I would like it? Maybe I'll wait until the dvd comes out to see it. I was wanting to see it, but now finding out that it's not even really about Mr. Rogers life, I'm not as excited, and I'm worried it'll pale in comparison to the documentary.

Honestly, I think you should still try to see it in theaters. It's still a very good companion piece to the doc and it's a very uplifting film.

THE SISTERS BROTHERS - 9.5 out of 10

I enjoyed Sisters Brothers. Phoenix made two films last year that he was great in and neither got a whole lot of attention, this one and You Were Never Really Here.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks, I added YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE to my Netflix list. If either of these films ever played around here I sure don't remember seeing them. I amused myself reading some of the negative comments about THE SISTERS BROTHERS on Amazon, most from people who totally judged the movie from the trailer and from reading reviews, and thought it was a comedy! I try to NEVER do that, so as to have no preconceptions. How anyone would think TSB is a dark comedy is beyond me. I just thought it was a bang up rootin' tootin' Western. And for that reason I will watch YWNRH the same way.

Still Servant
11-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I added YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE to my Netflix list. If either of these films ever played around here I sure don't remember seeing them. I amused myself reading some of the negative comments about THE SISTERS BROTHERS on Amazon, most from people who totally judged the movie from the trailer and from reading reviews, and thought it was a comedy! I try to NEVER do that, so as to have no preconceptions. How anyone would think TSB is a dark comedy is beyond me. I just thought it was a bang up rootin' tootin' Western. And for that reason I will watch YWNRH the same way.

Yeah, both films got very limited releases. I wasn't able to see Sister Brothers in theaters, but I was glad to catch You Were Never Really Here. They both opened at a local theater that plays limited-release films. That god.

Ricky
11-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood today and enjoyed it. There was more Mr. Rogers than I thought there would be, especially hearing in a few places that Hanks was more of a supporting part. He doesn't look much like Mister Rogers, but Tom Hanks did a great job, though there were some times he seemed more Mister Rogers-y than others. I appreciated the story of forgiveness and Lloyd's arc, but it did feel a little familiar. I could've used even more of a Mister Rogers focus. The film was joyful, optimistic, heartfelt, and there's not many movies that could make me break out in both chills and a huge smile from the opening minute. Mister Rogers's message of acceptance and love resonates just as much (and even more, I'd argue) as when I watched as a kid.

Mattrick
11-30-2019, 02:00 PM
I really like the idea that Mr. Rogers isn't the main focus of the film. It seems the idea is to show the effect Mr. Rogers has on people, even beyond the kids who watch his show. It reminds me of something like The Great Gatsby where the narrator/main character isn't isn't the subject character of the novel. It's a pretty great framing device when the subject character is someone larger than life in someway, especially in a novel where the narrator's opinion on the subject character can evolve over the course of the novel. It's not something that's done too often in film. A close example of that I guess would be Citizen Kane, where it's essentially a series of interviews where people talk about Kane so there is a series of narrators telling a good chunk of Kane's story.

I'm hoping to catch it in theatres, but I can't guarantee I will.

Merlin1958
11-30-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm not one for the eloquent and insightful reviews you folks regularly post but, I viewed several flicks on, Netflix recently that I would highly recommend. One was "The Irishman" which has been covered by others here. I can only add my own "Thumbs Up" to this excellent film!!!

I also saw "Shot Caller" starring the gentleman who played, Jaime Lannister in GoT. It's a suspense/thriller dealing with gangs, criminal activity and prison. Tight storyline with a nice twist. I very much enjoyed it.

Lastly, I caught "Shadow of the Moon". This is a thriller with a Sci-Fi angle that wasn't bad at all. Certainly worth a watch on a cold and rainy day with nothing to do. It has a rather unique, dare I say "Tarantinian" story telling mechanism that kept the story interesting to the end.

Randall Flagg
12-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Knives Out:

Normally I'm not into chamber murder mysteries, but this film is an exception. Funny, witty, and very well acted, this movie was a frolic from beginning to end. Don't want to give anything away, just go enjoy it.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

DoctorZaius
12-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Knives Out:

Normally I'm not into chamber murder mysteries, but this film is an exception. Funny, witty, and very well acted, this movie was a frolic from beginning to end. Don't want to give anything away, just go enjoy it.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

I agree wholeheartedly. My rating comes in at 9/10 for film buffs, though it is a 10/10 in my heart. Much of the movie was filmed in my home town, nearly all the non-mansion scenes. It was a real hoot to watch the car chase scene as it progressed through my town, though the editing creates a much different physical layout than the town I actually live in. We have a small movie theater in town and it's selling out every showing. It was really fun to meet Daniel Craig at the local gas station when it was filming.

webstar1000
12-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Irishman was good. Very good but at 3.5 hours it kind of overstayed it’s welcome. Good
Performances but none as good as The Joker’s were. 7.5/10

webstar1000
12-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Ready or Not. Seen this today to and what a fun movie. A fun, tense, grossed out thriller. 7.5/10

Randall Flagg
12-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Dark Waters:

Mark Ruffalo stars as a lawyer for a firm that specializes in representing corporations in lawsuits. When a small town farmer who knows Ruffaloe's grandmother shows up at his office with a box of video tapes as evidence that Dupont Corporation has been poisoning the water and killing his cows, Ruffaloe gets drawn into the case.

Based upon a true story the film courses through the next 15 years as Dupont does everything in its power to deny (and thus be liable for) the claims. Multiple layers abound in the case as the Dupont is the #1 employer in the West Virginia town, as well as Ruffaloe's law firm has long been courting Dupont as a client.

5.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Mattrick
12-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Dark Waters is one of the films that makes me think 90s throwback films are coming into fashion. It reminds me of stuff like A Civil Action and Erin Brokovich in content and courtroom dramas were very popular back then. Motherless Brooklyn and 21 Bridges also feel very nostaligic for the sorts of corruption films that were popular back then.

Still Servant
12-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Dark Waters:

Mark Ruffalo stars as a lawyer for a firm that specializes in representing corporations in lawsuits. When a small town farmer who knows Ruffaloe's grandmother shows up at his office with a box of video tapes as evidence that Dupont Corporation has been poisoning the water and killing his cows, Ruffaloe gets drawn into the case.

Based upon a true story the film courses through the next 15 years as Dupont does everything in its power to deny (and thus be liable for) the claims. Multiple layers abound in the case as the Dupont is the #1 employer in the West Virginia town, as well as Ruffaloe's law firm has long been courting Dupont as a client.

5.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

I feel like Dark Waters is getting lost in the shuffle of all the big films coming out right now. I'm a big Ruffalo fan, so I'm hoping to see it after I see Knives Out.

Iwritecode
12-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Saw Shazam the other day. Definitely my favorite DC movie thus far. I liked that they kept it light and fun. It did seem to drag on a little bit towards the end though.

The part where all the kids grabbed the staff and he told them to say his name and they all yelled "Billy!" had me cracking up.

I had to look up the meaning of the end-credits scene because I have zero knowledge about the actual comic book stories.

Still Servant
12-04-2019, 05:57 PM
I watched a very solid film that has been on my list for a while the other day, the 2016 film Anthropoid starring Cillian Murphy.

If you're a fan of World War II films, then check this one out. I love learning about lesser-known (at least to many Americans) historical events like the one depicted in the film.

The film chronicles Czechoslovakian operatives' mission to assassinate Nazi Reinhard Heydrich who was the main architect behind the Final Solution.

Garrell
12-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Watched Angel Has Fallen last night. Fun and enjoyable just like the previous two in the series.
3.5/6

Shannon
12-07-2019, 04:36 PM
The Irishman: Rating One out of Five

Fight me.

Randall Flagg
12-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Fight me.
Why?

You didn't like it. So be it.
Although it wouldn't hurt if in cogent terms, you described what it is you disliked.

Garrell
12-08-2019, 07:03 AM
I would give it a 3 outta 5. Was really good but could have been an hour shorter. Al Pachino was too much like himself

allasorte
12-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Fight me.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I felt like I was watching a poor man's version of Goodfellas, just decades later.

allasorte
12-08-2019, 08:50 AM
I See You 2019.
At first I thought perhaps it was a horror movie because Helen Hunt looks horrifically horrible, but I think this is more of a tense mystery thriller. I felt with multiple stories running throughout the film, and how it all tied together, it was surprisingly an enjoyable film with several twists and turns. It was about a couple missing boys, the perpetrator in prison, and yet another child disappears with similar clues left behind. Anyway, I really liked this movie. Not to start a monster debate on reading some people's rating philosophies, so if I stick with the "five" rating I would state 3.5/5.

Shannon
12-09-2019, 01:04 AM

Fight me.
Why?

Although it wouldn't hurt if in cogent terms, you described what it is you disliked.

Sorry for the reply-bait, lol, couldn't help myself. I hated it. I can't think of one positive aspect of the film, other than a quick scene here or a line of dialogue there. More to come soon, I have to try and go to sleep so I can try and wake up in five hours.

Shannon
12-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Not to start a monster debate on reading some people's rating philosophies, so if I stick with the "five" rating I would state 3.5/5.

Rule #27: No half points! ;)

Tommy
12-09-2019, 01:46 AM

Fight me.
Why?

Sorry for the reply-bait, lol, couldn't help myself. I hated it. I can't think of one positive aspect of the film, other than a quick scene here or a line of dialogue there. More to come soon, I have to try and go to sleep so I can try and wake up in five hours.

What other Scorsese films have you seen and how do they compare to The Irishman? I have not watched it yet.

Iwritecode
12-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other day. I was never a huge fan of Queen although I know a lot of their popular songs. I'm sure like many people my age, I wasn't really introduced to them until Mike Myers brought them back to relevance in the early 90's by including their song in Wanye's World. Which makes his cameo in the movie that much better.

He even has a line in the movie where his character says something like "Bohemian Rhapsody" is just not a song that kids are going to sit in their cars and bang their heads to. :emot-roflolmao:

It was a bit odd seeing Rami Malek in something other then Mr. Robot but I thought he did a pretty good job as Freddie. Again, I knew very little about Freddie's background other than he was gay and he died of AIDS. I also didn't know he was just about the same age as my parents. :scared:

I've heard that the other band members had a big part in making the movie so I'm hoping it was pretty true to life.

webstar1000
12-09-2019, 05:35 PM
So happy with the Joker love for the Globe noms!

Randall Flagg
12-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Jumanji: The Next Level:

Viewed in IMAX. Interesting takes and twists in this one where characters get swapped into different roles, not only initially, but even during the movie. Dwane Johnson is inhabited by old man Danny DeVito and Kevin Hart by Danny Glover. Both actors do a good job channeling. In the 3rd reel Awkwafina showsup and is channeling Danny DeVito. She NAILS the role.

Good old Saturday Matinee (on a Friday) fum.

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Tommy
12-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other day. I was never a huge fan of Queen although I know a lot of their popular songs. I'm sure like many people my age, I wasn't really introduced to them until Mike Myers brought them back to relevance in the early 90's by including their song in Wanye's World. Which makes his cameo in the movie that much better.

He even has a line in the movie where his character says something like "Bohemian Rhapsody" is just not a song that kids are going to sit in their cars and bang their heads to. :emot-roflolmao:

It was a bit odd seeing Rami Malek in something other then Mr. Robot but I thought he did a pretty good job as Freddie. Again, I knew very little about Freddie's background other than he was gay and he died of AIDS. I also didn't know he was just about the same age as my parents. :scared:

I've heard that the other band members had a big part in making the movie so I'm hoping it was pretty true to life.

It was a well done film but like nearly all Hollywood biopics, there are several things in the film that simply didn't happen or didn't happen the way they are portrayed. For one thing, no station ever gave Queen crap for Bohemian Rhapsody, Myers character is fictional. The years are off in some instances about when songs came out like We Will Rock You came out much earlier than shown in the movie. Also, Freddie never technically left the band. He simply went and did some solo work never claiming that Queen had broken up. Live Aid was in 85 and Freddie wasn't diagnosed until 87. And this isn't really a mistake but since they were keeping it PG-13, they left out Freddie's sexual exploits. I'll leave that where it is but Freddie did have a good time. A truer movie would have been a hard R for sure.
All that said, it was a charming performance from Malek and it was well made and greatly benefited from the use of the original music and the Live Aid sequence is fantastic.

Shannon
12-14-2019, 05:09 PM
What other Scorsese films have you seen and how do they compare to The Irishman? I have not watched it yet.

Taxi Driver: 3/5
Raging Bull: 2/5
Goodfellas: 5/5
Casino: 5/5
Bringing Out The Dead: 2/5
Gangs Of New York: 4/5
Departed: 5/5
Hugo: 4/5
Wolf Of Wall Street: 4/5
Irishman: 1/5

So, an average of 3.5/5. Not bad at all.

Merlin1958
12-15-2019, 12:47 AM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding "The Irishman", wrong as it may be (lol). However, you should probably be aware that a contract has been placed on your head and a couple of the "Hitter's" from, Smokin' Aces" have signed on for it. Vary your routine is all I'm saying. lol

6 Underground/Netflix:

I love shoot 'em up's and this film has more than it's share of spent cartridge shells. Ryan Reynolds just being himself times 2. Not a bad premise/story line, IMHO the "6" are all "Dead". Great stunts and lots of action, but the Director (Micheal Bay) must have given the editor an ounce of blow cause he edited the shit out of it!!! It's a little choppy to say the least. You'll need a scorecard and make the "pause" button your friend. There is slo-mo, to flashbacks to side ways flashes to,OMG!!! Still, not bad for a home theater rainy afternoon. Bring lots of popcorn. 3.25/6 beer's on the RFSRS

webstar1000
12-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Timetrap.
I was bored here on a Sunday flipping through Netflix. WOW. No famous actors and never heard of it but I couldn’t take my eyes off this film. 8/10 and if it was marketed differently with stars I would have been in the theatre for it. Seriously if you enjoy sci-fi watch this. You will enjoy it.... short, fast paced, twisty and just amazingly well done!

Still Servant
12-15-2019, 05:12 PM

A 2 for Raging Bull? :lol:

Tommy
12-15-2019, 08:36 PM

A 2 for Raging Bull? :lol:

Yeah, that one was a dagger straight to my heart. :(

Shannon
12-15-2019, 11:13 PM
I don't remember it other than being a Rocky with bad and unlikeable characters. Maybe I'll give it another shot one day.

Randall Flagg
12-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Richard Jewell:

Eastwood is the greatest living American Director over 85 years of age. He shot an interesting story based upon the true story of Richard Jewell who was a hero by discovering a bomb-backpack in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics. The FBI suspects Jewell is the bomber, and the investigation is leaked to the media; who in a frenzy ruin Jewell's life. Though later exonerated, the damage was done.

There is some thinking that Eastwood (who is a big Trump supporter) used this story of the FBI screwing up, and the media using "fake news" as a way to skewer modern Trump critics.

4/6 beers on the RFSRS.

fernandito
12-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Shannon, please cancel your subscription to the internet.

Timetrap.
I was bored here on a Sunday flipping through Netflix. WOW. No famous actors and never heard of it but I couldn’t take my eyes off this film. 8/10 and if it was marketed differently with stars I would have been in the theatre for it. Seriously if you enjoy sci-fi watch this. You will enjoy it.... short, fast paced, twisty and just amazingly well done!

I saw it over the weekend as well and quite enjoyed it. 8 is a little high, but it's a nice, tightly directed little sci-fi gem and I liked the surprises it had in store.

webstar1000
12-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Shannon, please cancel your subscription to the internet.

Timetrap.

I saw it over the weekend as well and quite enjoyed it. 8 is a little high, but it's a nice, tightly directed little sci-fi gem and I liked the surprises it had in store.

I gave it an 8 because I was SO shocked at what it was... thought I was in store for a total B movie shit storm of Blah..... lol

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-16-2019, 12:04 PM
RICHARD JEWELL - 7.75 out of 10.

I had the same thoughts about the current political climate after watching this film, Jerome. I walked in knowing only the title and that Eastwood directed it, so the whole thing was a surprise to me, which is exactly the way I like it.

Tommy
12-16-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised it was the biggest flop of Eastwood's since 1980. Bad timing, maybe?

Randall Flagg
12-16-2019, 01:14 PM
I was the only person in the theater for the showing I watched.

Ricky
12-16-2019, 02:53 PM
I've never been the only person in the theater. I've come close, though!

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-16-2019, 03:39 PM
I've been the only person a number of times, it's great.
I was the only one for CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS in 3D I-MAX, too bad I did NOT like the movie.
It's also amazing how just one other person present can absolutely ruin a movie for you. That has also happened to me. But it's better than being ill or six feet under if one looks on the bright side of things.

Still Servant
12-17-2019, 07:01 AM
I don't remember it other than being a Rocky with bad and unlikeable characters. Maybe I'll give it another shot one day.

You should. Besides both films being about a boxer, Raging Bull is different than Rocky in every single way.

webstar1000
12-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Jumanji: The Next Level:

Viewed in IMAX. Interesting takes and twists in this one where characters get swapped into different roles, not only initially, but even during the movie. Dwane Johnson is inhabited by old man Danny DeVito and Kevin Hart by Danny Glover. Both actors do a good job channeling. In the 3rd reel Awkwafina showsup and is channeling Danny DeVito. She NAILS the role.

Good old Saturday Matinee (on a Friday) fum.

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Ill agree with this. I just seen this last night and pretty much feel just as you do. I have to say.. Kevin Hart acting like Danny Glover was my fav. lol

Still Servant
12-17-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm surprised it was the biggest flop of Eastwood's since 1980. Bad timing, maybe?

I just think there are way too many other films out right now. I also don't know that many people are even still familiar with Jewell's story. He had his moment very briefly and then kind of faded away. Eastwood's recent track record is also kind of hit or miss. Both his films last year, The Mule and the 15:17 were largely ignored. The Mule was okay, but from what I hear, 15:17 was terrible.

I also think the trailer made the film look like a made for TV movie.

webstar1000
12-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Next year might be my least anticipated year of film to date. Now, there are ones I’m excited for: Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Ghostbusters and most of all... Top Gun to name a few but nothing like this year. Some let me down yes.... but the majority did not. 2019 was such a great year. I do not see 2020
Repeating or beating it.

mae
12-17-2019, 02:59 PM
But 2020 has Dune. Done.

webstar1000
12-17-2019, 03:03 PM
But 2020 has Dune. Done.

Not excited for Dune. Now, allow to say I have not read the books and know zero about it. Perhaps a trailer will change my excitement but as of now.... not pumped at all for it and 2020’s film slate.

Merlin1958
12-17-2019, 03:16 PM
But 2020 has Dune. Done.

Not excited for Dune. Now, allow to say I have not read the books and know zero about it. Perhaps a trailer will change my excitement but as of now.... not pumped at all for it and 2020’s film slate.

Dune & the follow up novels were a truly excellent example of great sci-fi. Much like the Foundation trilogy and Battlefield Earth. Unfortunately, especially with "Dune" I don't think it translates well to the silver screen. Same goes for "Foundation". In fact, both of those works remind me a lot of a lengthy, King novel. A lot of the story/text is cerebral in nature. You know all the dialogue and scene set-up/background taking place through thoughts in the character's heads.

Never the less, we can certainly hope and pray. The first effort at "Dune" was a noble try IMHO. I think they tried to do too literal of a version of the book on film and that's what killed it. I still enjoy it somewhat though I guess much like we hold the TV version of "IT" in our hearts and minds. "Foundation" probably has a better chance of making the transition, but I haven't heard of any current projects.

Kris, if you enjoy sci-fi in the least you should give both novels a shot on your reading list. Both are true classic pieces of literary work.

Randall Flagg
12-17-2019, 05:23 PM
The only reason to watch Dune would be if you were stranded in the Sahara for a year.

webstar1000
12-17-2019, 05:45 PM
OK...OK....
OK.

I’m
Sorry.

I just finished Parasite. And it’s a fucking masterpiece. I should have given it more attention the first time and only did so after hearing everyone here talk about it. I loved it. A solid 9/10 for me and maybe a little more. Acting,
Directing,
Story,
Screenplay,
Set.....

All was brilliantly done. Big fan here. Thanks all!

Ricky
12-17-2019, 06:13 PM
I just think there are way too many other films out right now. I also don't know that many people are even still familiar with Jewell's story.

I hadn't heard of him before the trailer. And I think a lot of people are busy with Christmasing during December, so I wouldn't think it's a big movie month.

webstar1000
12-17-2019, 06:20 PM
I just think there are way too many other films out right now. I also don't know that many people are even still familiar with Jewell's story.

I hadn't heard of him before the trailer. And I think a lot of people are busy with Christmasing during December, so I wouldn't think it's a big movie month.

Christmas is second only to the summer blockbuster season. Big movie time!!

Merlin1958
12-17-2019, 07:05 PM
The only reason to watch Dune would be if you were stranded in the Sahara for a year.

You say that having read the book (s)? Cause, the movie wasn't the greatest, but it was a valiant attempt to adapt a very difficult, complex novel onto film. There was some brilliant casting, Sting as Feyd Harkkonen for one. A couple others whose names I don't recall at the moment (Patrick Stewart was a good cast).

Again, it wasn't amsterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but if you read the book I thought it servicable.

Shannon
12-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Downloaded a movie called I See You after reading the synopsis.

Wanted something to play in the background as I wrapped presents.

Turned on the movie, didn't wrap one single present.

Don't read the synopsis, don't watch the trailer. Excellent, excellent, excellent movie.

I would say ... if I had to say ... it has hints of Don't Breathe, hints of Prisoners, hints of Hereditary, all while being nothing like any of those films.

5/5.

Merlin1958
12-17-2019, 10:30 PM

Wanted something to play in the background as I wrapped presents.

Turned on the movie, didn't wrap one single present.

Don't read the synopsis, don't watch the trailer. Excellent, excellent, excellent movie.

I would say ... if I had to say ... it has hints of Don't Breathe, hints of Prisoners, hints of Hereditary, all while being nothing like any of those films.

5/5.

Netflix? Amazon? Directv? or some other streaming service?

Shannon
12-17-2019, 10:40 PM
I don't know, sorry. Just searched online for who is streaming it but got the normal "rent or buy" options.

frik
12-17-2019, 11:06 PM

Looked for it but all I get is....I Still See You.....
Is that the one you're referring too? Or maybe a sequel?? :orely:

sk

Shannon
12-17-2019, 11:25 PM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6079516/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Don't read the synopsis, don't watch the trailer, don't look at the poster! lol

Mattrick
12-18-2019, 03:09 AM
Marriage Story is a fantastic film. (Possible minor spoilers...it's pretty vague and general for the most part)

Great performances all around. The depiction of lawyers and the legal process when it comes to divorces was so well done. It didn't feel Hollywoodized, but very down-to-earth and realistic, and the horrible aspects of the legal system are shown neither as good or bad, but just the way things are. Adam Driver is fantastic. Scarlet Johansson is really good too, but her character isn't all that likeable. I'm not one to care if a character is likeable in terms of quality, but Driver's character seemed to have a lot more depth. Johansson's character toes the line between being an authentic person and an archetypal bitter woman divorcing her husband and it does work in the end of the film. Mainly it was difficult for a chunk of the film to empathize with her side because her reasons for divorce seemed so petty and immature.

There are some solid supporting roles in the film too from Ray Liotta, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Wallace Shawn, Merritt Wever, and Julie Hagarty. While the film is pretty serious for the most part, there are some good laughs during the film. There is one scene in particular I thought was absolutely hysterical and it's placement in the film was perfect to help lighten things up. The structure of the story and the strength of the screenplay is the main draw here aside from the performances. The structure is so neatly interwined with the flow of the narrative it sneaks up on you. Scenes that are microcosms of the larger film, of things coming back to earlier scenes, clever parallels between both the leads own separate trials and tribulations, the escalation of tension and the emotional turmoil. It's all so perfectly doled out and paced. Bravo, Noah Baumbach.

5/5

Garrell
12-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Marriage Story was really good but really sad. Adam Driver was the best I have seen him.
Watched Ad Astra last night. Was just ok. Brad was great but Tommy Lee Jones was minimal at best.

fernandito
12-18-2019, 08:42 AM
I'll be watching it over the weekend, especially since Netflix keeps bombarding me with ads for it :lol:

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-18-2019, 11:16 AM
JUMANJI THE RETURN in EMAX

They finally got the projector working

3 people at the showing today, my brother, me, and a stranger

My brother - 3.5 out of 10

Me - 8 out of 10

The Mysterious Stranger - Unknown

webstar1000
12-18-2019, 11:32 AM
JUMANJI THE RETURN in EMAX

They finally got the projector working

3 people at the showing today, my brother, me, and a stranger

My brother - 3.5 out of 10

Me - 8 out of 10

The Mysterious Stranger - Unknown

lol

Mattrick
12-18-2019, 01:01 PM
I'll be watching it over the weekend, especially since Netflix keeps bombarding me with ads for it :lol:

I told my friend's son to watch it and that it was about Kylo Ren and Black Widow being married. I can't even describe the look of confusion he gave me.

allasorte
12-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Marriage Story was really good but really sad. Adam Driver was the best I have seen him.
Watched Ad Astra last night. Was just ok. Brad was great but Tommy Lee Jones was minimal at best.

Agreed. I felt the storyline for Ad Astra was a complete let down and a waste of time.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2019, 02:51 PM
Black Christmas:

Tedious, predictable, and uninspired despite the #MeToo take on sorority women being pursued by a strange powerful fraternity. Just me in the theater, and I was happy for every person who decided to do something else.

2/6 beers on the RFSRS

Tommy
12-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Dark Waters (4/4)
Tell me again why deregulating industrial/chemical companies is a good thing besides money-making.....Wait until the day they do a film about Thalidomide babies.

Learned from the movie that 99% of humans have some trace of C8 (the compound that helped create Teflon which does not break down and causes multiple, extreme health problems) because there are some compounds the EPA simply does not regulate and those compounds can be utilized and dumped by these chemical companies at their leisure. C8 was one of these compounds.

There is a real life victim of this disgrace in the film named Bucky. Bucky has one nostril and an eye deformity because his mother worked for DuPont during the Teflon days.

At the beginning of the Happy Pan days, DuPont gave cigarettes laced with Teflon to some male workers just to see what would happen. They all wound up in the hospital. Women that worked there had deformed children or had cancer like the men.

But nobody cared because they were making billions.

This film is infuriating and probably the most important film of the year.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Great review. DuPont continues to operate with virtual impunity, as profits are so lucrative that paying a few fines or lawsuits is just the cost of doing business.

Thalidomide is more of a German fuck up back in the 60's, and in fact is a legitimate medicine when strictly dispensed so as to avoid any chance a female comes in contact with it, as any contact during early pregnancy almost guarantees a deformed child.

Ricky
12-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Black Christmas:

Tedious, predictable, and uninspired despite the #MeToo take on sorority women being pursued by a strange powerful fraternity. Just me in the theater, and I was happy for every person who decided to do something else.

2/6 beers on the RFSRS

Yikes.

It looks fun, but I also can't imagine the third time making this story being anything to rave about. I'd hoped to go see it this month but it looks like I may catch it on DVD.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-19-2019, 11:06 AM
CODE 8 - Science fiction with a modest budget.
Me - 6.5 out of 10
My brother - 3 out of 10

Still Servant
12-19-2019, 06:30 PM
But 2020 has Dune. Done.

Dune is directed by Denis Villeneuve. That's good enough for me.

OK...OK....
OK.

I’m
Sorry.

I just finished Parasite. And it’s a fucking masterpiece. I should have given it more attention the first time and only did so after hearing everyone here talk about it. I loved it. A solid 9/10 for me and maybe a little more. Acting,
Directing,
Story,
Screenplay,
Set.....

All was brilliantly done. Big fan here. Thanks all!

Amen!

Dark Waters (4/4)
Tell me again why deregulating industrial/chemical companies is a good thing besides money-making.....Wait until the day they do a film about Thalidomide babies.

Learned from the movie that 99% of humans have some trace of C8 (the compound that helped create Teflon which does not break down and causes multiple, extreme health problems) because there are some compounds the EPA simply does not regulate and those compounds can be utilized and dumped by these chemical companies at their leisure. C8 was one of these compounds.

There is a real life victim of this disgrace in the film named Bucky. Bucky has one nostril and an eye deformity because his mother worked for DuPont during the Teflon days.

At the beginning of the Happy Pan days, DuPont gave cigarettes laced with Teflon to some male workers just to see what would happen. They all wound up in the hospital. Women that worked there had deformed children or had cancer like the men.

But nobody cared because they were making billions.

This film is infuriating and probably the most important film of the year.

What's even more infuriating is the fact that the film is destined to get lost in the Christmas shuffle. It's already gone from the main theaters near me. I probably won't be able to see it in theaters like I had hoped.

DoctorZaius
12-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I saw the new Star Wars film tonight with the entire family. Enjoyed it very much, though I wouldn't say I love all of it. I found the first 20-30 minutes to be a jumbled mess, but then I settle in quite nicely. I saw the original Star Wars when I was 12 years old and have found something to love in each them. It was a fitting conclusion to the nine films. I am intentionally staying away from actual content till others have seen it. I give it a 7.5/10, while the wife and kids gave it an 8/10.

Randall Flagg
12-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Bombshell:

A fascinating "Fair and Balanced" look inside fox news in the time leading up to Fox President Roger Ailes being sued for sexual harassment. It's amazing the internal pressures on women to keep their mouth shut-particularly from other women. Of course it's history, but the Murdoch's sacrifice Ailes to keep their money printing news division going. Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie turn in great performances.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

webstar1000
12-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Uncut Gems. OMG..... Sandler.... the story... the ending. 2019 is the hands down best year of film. I still have Lighthouse and Jojo to watch today. But dammmmmm Uncut is amazing, intense and you feel every scene.
8.5/10

Randall Flagg
12-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Uncut Gems doesn't break here until Christmas. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, but probably not until Thursday.

webstar1000
12-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Uncut Gems doesn't break here until Christmas. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, but probably not until Thursday.

Oh man. Go see it man. It’s so good. Hard to believe that’s Adam S!!!

webstar1000
12-21-2019, 11:20 AM
I see You. Hmmmmm..... I got this flick on a member’s recommendation but alas... I did not feel the same way he did. 5/10

Merlin1958
12-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Rambo: Last Blood

Okay, I'm a bit biased I enjoy these films and this one does not disappoint!!! Could have been titled Jason (Friday 13th) vs the Mexican Cartel. You see every plot point coming and can't wait!!!! And when we finally get to the inevitable reckoning Rambo single handedly destroys everyone the cartel brought with them in just about every way imaginable to murder a human being!!! As the cartel speeds across territory on its way to the killing grounds I found myself thinking "That's all the guys you brought? It ain't enough, Papi" LOL LOL Where the previous "Rambo" may very well have achieved the record for on film decapitations, this film seeks to attain the record for the most horrible ways to die. Oh, and don't worry they threw in a few decapitations for you. lol The moral of this movie is that "Human Trafficing ain't as easy as it looks" lol Especially if you manage to piss off, Rambo!!!

I gave this film 6 out of 6 Machete's!!!

kingfan2323
12-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Okay, I'm a bit biased I enjoy these films and this one does not disappoint!!! Could have been titled Jason (Friday 13th) vs the Mexican Cartel. You see every plot point coming and can't wait!!!! And when we finally get to the inevitable reckoning Rambo single handedly destroys everyone the cartel brought with them in just about every way imaginable to murder a human being!!! As the cartel speeds across territory on its way to the killing grounds I found myself thinking "That's all the guys you brought? It ain't enough, Papi" LOL LOL Where the previous "Rambo" may very well have achieved the record for on film decapitations, this film seeks to attain the record for the most horrible ways to die. Oh, and don't worry they threw in a few decapitations for you. lol The moral of this movie is that "Human Trafficing ain't as easy as it looks" lol Especially if you manage to piss off, Rambo!!!

I gave this film 6 out of 6 Machete's!!!I am pumped for this. Watching it tonight.

seeking: anything DT#246, Strange Weather (CD)

webstar1000
12-21-2019, 01:03 PM

I gave this film 6 out of 6 Machete's!!!I am pumped for this. Watching it tonight.

seeking: anything DT#246, Strange Weather (CD)

I loved it to. Haha

Mattrick
12-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Rambo was awful. The 2008 Rambo was so much better.

You can read my satirical review here: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/rambo-last-blood-a-glorious-liberal-revenge-fantasy

Shannon
12-21-2019, 06:10 PM
I see You. Hmmmmm..... I got this flick on a member’s recommendation but alas... I did not feel the same way he did. 5/10

No way, boooooooooooooo! Lol what didn't you like about it?

Merlin1958
12-21-2019, 10:30 PM

You can read my satirical review here: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/rambo-last-blood-a-glorious-liberal-revenge-fantasy

Of course you hate it. You can't have fun watching a movie. We all learned this in the Star Wars thread.

Old News, dude

webstar1000
12-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Watched Lighthouse .... 2 hours of great acting BUT a ridiculous plot and silly premise. Just these two keepers fighting and arguing the whole time. 6.5/10. And should be lower but the actors saved it a bit here

DoctorZaius
12-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Of course you hate it. You can't have fun watching a movie. We all learned this in the Star Wars thread.

Old News, dude

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, flaws and all. 7.5/10

DoctorZaius
12-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Saw Cats, yes, Cats. My youngest daughter is obsessed with Taylor Swift, so we had to go. The local paper gave it a horrible review, .5/4 stars. I went in with really low expectations. It was truly watchable. Ian McKellen was quite excellent. I'd give it a 6/10.

Mattrick
12-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Old News, dude

Since when did 'having fun' mean 'ignoring everything you don't like and being dishonest with yourself to feign enjoyment'? I have plenty of fun watching movies. I'm on my way to spend the rest of tonight having fun watching The Irishman with my friend, just as we had fun the other night watching Marriage Story. We find good movies enhances our fun.

Mattrick
12-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Watched Lighthouse .... 2 hours of great acting BUT a ridiculous plot and silly premise. Just these two keepers fighting and arguing the whole time. 6.5/10. And should be lower but the actors saved it a bit here

:o

Randall Flagg
12-22-2019, 04:46 PM

That's about what I gave it. 4.5/6 = 7/10

Mattrick
12-23-2019, 01:26 AM
The Irishman was a good film, but I didn't love it as others do. Then again, Scorsese's mob films haven't hit with me as they have with others. The performances were all really good, however. It was kind of interesting seeing all three of these guys play against their more typical characters when it comes to Scorsese's mob stuff. I thought the first hour was really strong and the last 30 minutes were really strong. It sagged a bit in the middle for me. The de-aging stuff didn't bother me at all and I hardly noticed it...except when Middle-aged DeNiro beat the guy up with the veracity of 75 year old DeNiro that I kind of noticed it. It made me glad they didn't have DeNiro doing too much physicality because that was the only time his age showed when he was younger in the film. I think the only real problem I had with the film was the pacing. I like nice and slow films, but there were parts that weren't particularly engaging or entertaining and some of the banter just didn't work for me, like the stuff about the fish, which normally don't really faze me, but when the film is 200 minutes long, you feel it more. A lot of the film felt inert, which I suppose is by design as it's a reflective piece about old men growing old; even some of the scenes with big crowds and screaming and lots of stuff happening on the screen lacked the energy of similar scenes in Wolf of Wall Street from just a few years ago. I imagine if I were a bigger fan of his mob flicks that intangible I felt this film to be lacking wouldn't be lacking, but such as it is. More than anything, it's the kind of film I will rewatch and hope to appreciate it more because I have a feeling there is a lot to appreciate here, too much to cover on one viewing.

4/5

Ari Aster had some great words to say on The Irishman: https://variety.com/2019/film/spotlight/ari-aster-the-irishman-steve-zaillian-1203448277/?fbclid=IwAR11wgSs384u0iIESRs3jZftVH39TeoO2300Cuxd 68hUnqXIjMe9RCSzNPI

Mattrick
12-23-2019, 01:29 AM

It's an easy 5/5 for me. My favourite film of the year as it stands. I can't wait to watch it again.

webstar1000
12-23-2019, 03:15 AM

It's an easy 5/5 for me. My favourite film of the year as it stands. I can't wait to watch it again.

You have got to be kidding me. Man I cannot get you..... to hate Star Wars and love this? Yeah that makes no sense. We are talking the same film right? B/W and 2 hours of them bantering back and forth?

allasorte
12-23-2019, 03:17 AM

Agreed. The acting was stellar and the storyline was quite underperforming.

allasorte
12-23-2019, 03:19 AM

Agreed. He looked so old it was hard to watch a 97 year old man attempting to run around and kill the bad guys.

Garrell
12-23-2019, 06:22 AM

Agreed. He looked so old it was hard to watch a 97 year old man attempting to run around and kill the bad guys.
Yep, was hard to look at him, he looked like claymation. Story was predictable and out there. I would still have watched knowing all this, it’s Rambo

fernandito
12-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Lighthouse is my No. 2 of the year, right behind Midsommar. That movie is freakin mesmerizing. Just waiting for it to drop on Amazon Prime so I can watch it again.

webstar1000
12-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Lighthouse is my No. 2 of the year, right behind Midsommar. That movie is freakin mesmerizing. Just waiting for it to drop on Amazon Prime so I can watch it again.

The acting was. I agree. Nothing more was.

fernandito
12-23-2019, 09:37 AM
The acting. The atmosphere. The dialogue. The cinematography. On and on and onnnnnnnnn

webstar1000
12-23-2019, 09:41 AM
The acting. The atmosphere. The dialogue. The cinematography. On and on and onnnnnnnnn

I will give cinematography... that was good too. But you need a story and a plot. Sorry... I am shocked anyone would put this at the top of their list or even in the top 10

Mattrick
12-23-2019, 11:41 AM
The story and the plot of The Lighthouse was two men in isolation going insane together.

webstar1000
12-23-2019, 11:44 AM
The story and the plot of The Lighthouse was two men in isolation going insane together.

If you say so.

Mattrick
12-23-2019, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=Mattrick;1177329]The story and the plot of The Lighthouse was two men in isolation going insane together.

I don't know else the plot could be. Everything else is down to character development and theme.

Mattrick
12-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Knives Out is a solid flick. The kind of movie that relies on the acting to pull off and the cast did a remarkable job. The plot is intriguing, but not the most intriguing mystery film I've seen, but it has some fun with the tropes of the murder mystery genre. As I write this I went on IMDB to get the name of the central actress to see a video about Rian Johnson talking about the perfect plot twist and I will say there wasn't any twist in Knives Out that wasn't obvious at all or not too far off what I assumed. I think the major flaw of the film is it so bluntly highlights certain things that there really isn't much mystery and the final bits of the exposition are a little convoluted, but Craig is so entertaining during it that I forgave the film. It's hard for me to criticize a film harshly for being too structured in an age where the average film can't even be assed to half-ass structure.

If you're looking for a dense mystery full of twists and turns, Knives Out isn't it (though it may surprise you more than it did me), but if you want to see a fine ensemble chew the scenery and have fun for two hours, then Knives Out is it. That's why I went to see it, and I was satisfied with what I got.

4/5

webstar1000
12-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Knives Out is a solid flick. The kind of movie that relies on the acting to pull off and the cast did a remarkable job. The plot is intriguing, but not the most intriguing mystery film I've seen, but it has some fun with the tropes of the murder mystery genre. As I write this I went on IMDB to get the name of the central actress to see a video about Rian Johnson talking about the perfect plot twist and I will say there wasn't any twist in Knives Out that wasn't obvious at all or not too far off what I assumed. I think the major flaw of the film is it so bluntly highlights certain things that there really isn't much mystery and the final bits of the exposition are a little convoluted, but Craig is so entertaining during it that I forgave the film. It's hard for me to criticize a film harshly for being too structured in an age where the average film can't even be assed to half-ass structure.

If you're looking for a dense mystery full of twists and turns, Knives Out isn't it (though it may surprise you more than it did me), but if you want to see a fine ensemble chew the scenery and have fun for two hours, then Knives Out is it. That's why I went to see it, and I was satisfied with what I got.

4/5

I felt the same way. Any recommendations for a good who done it plot twist film? That was my only complaint about this as well.

Mattrick
12-24-2019, 05:33 PM
I felt the same way. Any recommendations for a good who done it plot twist film? That was my only complaint about this as well.

Matchstick Men is a good one though not quite a whodunnit.

webstar1000
12-24-2019, 05:35 PM

Seen them all but Orphanage and is now on my list! Thanks!

Mattrick
12-25-2019, 01:55 PM

Seen them all but Orphanage and is now on my list! Thanks!

It's my favorite horror. Very atmospheric, great acting and story.

DoctorZaius
12-25-2019, 08:46 PM

4/5

An oldie, but goodie - Deathtrap (Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve). I directed the play version about a decade back and the audience loved it.

fernandito
12-26-2019, 09:54 AM
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

At times it felt like The Retconning of Skywalker, such time does JJ and the film spend undoing the groundwork laid down by Johnson. As the foundation is upended and replaced, the film frantically begins to establish its own mythology with mixed results.

There's no denying it has its crowd pleasing moments, and many a great panoramic shots and eye catching battles, but fan service isn't enough to make this installment memorable. The twists and reveals aren't really earth shattering, and although there's no Death Star, JJ once again reaches into his tired bag of tricks for a 'orbiting weapon of mass destruction'.

With the trilogy now complete, I think Disney should use the hiatus to properly lay out the inevitable next trilogy and form a clear sense of direction before a single scene is shot.

3/5

Still Servant
12-26-2019, 10:06 AM

Two keepers fighting and arguing? :lol:

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper into a film. What you see on the surface isn't usually the only thing a film has to offer. I'm not sure why you would have seen that one. I could have told you it wasn't going to be for you. Did you watch the trailer? A slow-paced, black and white film by the guy who directed The VVitch? That should have been a red flag.

Ricky
12-26-2019, 12:24 PM
but fan service isn't enough to make this installment memorable

Fan service seems to sum up the new trilogy. Lack of clear direction/arc for the most recent three is the same thing I'm reading in a lot of reviews.

Shannon
12-27-2019, 10:49 AM

No way, boooooooooooooo! Lol what didn't you like about it?

Waiting waiting! :)

Heather19
12-29-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm dying to see The Lighthouse.

fernandito
12-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Good Time

Decided to check this out to get me prepped for Uncut Gems. It's a kinetic, neon-filled nightmare that turns the most pedestrian of situations into unbearably-tense filled encounters. Unfortunately, it amounts to little as the film ultimately ends on a whimper. Still, the technical skills at the Sadie brothers' disposal help elevate the film and I'm excited to see how they keep progressing.

3.5/5

Still Servant
12-30-2019, 01:59 PM
It's that time of year again. My Favorite Films of 2019! (https://tinyurl.com/MyFavoriteFilmsof2019)

Ricky
12-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Yahoo! I'll give it a read later, Mike.

mae
12-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Nice list! Not surprised at the #1 but sad to not see The Farewell, which may be my #1 when I do my list.

Still Servant
12-31-2019, 04:27 PM
My Most Underrated Films of 2019.
(https://tinyurl.com/UnderratedFilms2019)

Still Servant
12-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Nice list! Not surprised at the #1 but sad to not see The Farewell, which may be my #1 when I do my list.

Thank you! I have not seen The Farewell. That one might hit a little too close to home right now.

Mattrick
12-31-2019, 09:22 PM
Here is part one of my hidden gems of the decade

https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/favourite-hidden-gems-pt-1

Ricky
01-01-2020, 09:25 AM
It's that time of year again. My Favorite Films of 2019! (https://tinyurl.com/MyFavoriteFilmsof2019)

The Lighthouse wasn't around long by me, but I'm eager to see it. Knives Out, too. I just got Spectre from Netflix, so either that or The Irishman, I think, is gonna be my first watch of the new year.

My Most Underrated Films of 2019.
(https://tinyurl.com/UnderratedFilms2019)

I also really enjoyed Crawl and Brightburn (which was much darker than I think I was expecting).

I missed Captive and I am Mother, though, and am saving Cold Pursuit for a snow day. :)

Randall Flagg
01-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Uncut Gems:

I'm not a fan of intentionally shaky camera work, and frenetic claustrophobic cinematography. I understand that these methods were chosen to show the fast paced-in your face lifestyle Adam Sandler lives, but after over two hours I was a bit worn down. This story of a NYC jewelery dealer who is a gambling addict, a philanderer, a cheat, and a liar is of course like watching a train crash. One can't avert their eyes, but you know it's going to end badly.

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Shannon
01-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Uncut Gems:

I'm not a fan of intentionally shaky camera work, and frenetic claustrophobic cinematography. I understand that these methods were chosen to show the fast paced-in your face lifestyle Adam Sandler lives, but after over two hours I was a bit worn down. This story of a NYC jewelery dealer who is a gambling addict, a philanderer, a cheat, and a liar is of course like watching a train crash. One can't avert their eyes, but you know it's going to end badly.

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

For me, what stood out more than what you mentioned, was the sound. It was intentionally "busy" and it got annoying quickly. The scene with him on three telephone lines and the nightclub scene stand out as examples.

Randall Flagg
01-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Uncut Gems:

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

For me, what stood out more than what you mentioned, was the sound. It was intentionally "busy" and it got annoying quickly. The scene with him on three telephone lines and the nightclub scene stand out as examples.
A point I didn't bring up, but definitely correct.

All of those detriments made the movie a good movie, instead of a great movie.

Still Servant
01-02-2020, 05:29 AM
Uncut Gems:

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

It's the opposite for me. Those things enhanced the film for me.

webstar1000
01-02-2020, 05:48 AM
Uncut Gems:

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

It's the opposite for me. Those things enhanced the film for me.

I have to agree. I thought it did as well for me.

fernandito
01-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Uncut Gems:

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Good Time had the same issue. The blaring music made it difficult to concentrate on what they were saying sometimes and it got obnoxious pretty quickly.

Shannon
01-02-2020, 01:37 PM
If you guys like the noisy parts of Uncut Gems, when I get home I'll find some YouTube clips of tea kettles whistling, babies crying and nails on a chalkboard for you. You know, as a late Christmas present.

Ricky
01-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Finally got around to seeing Spectre last night. Overall, I really, really enjoyed it. The plot was easy to follow (yet not simplistic), fantastic opening (the whole first third of the film was fantastic, actually), great action sequences, score, humor, and I think this was the best Bond has been, both in Craig's acting and portrayal in addition to the character work. My only negatives would be a little bit of a lag in the middle and the villain not quite doing it for me (his explanation for doing what he did felt a little childish to me and he didn't quite feel as villainous as he should've. And his confrontation with Bond in the drill chair was a little too short and anticlimactic for me). I'd probably rate it a solid 8.5/10.

If I had to rank Craig's Bond films, I'd go:

4. Casino Royale (I know I'm in the minority here)
3. Quantum of Solace
2. Spectre
1. Skyfall

fernandito
01-02-2020, 03:50 PM

3. Quantum of Solace
2. Spectre
1. Skyfall

I'm going to need a bottle of Scotch here.

Still Servant
01-02-2020, 05:36 PM
The Nightingale

Holy shit. Brutal. I need more films from Jennifer Kent.

webstar1000
01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
The Nightingale

Where can this be seen?

allasorte
01-02-2020, 05:53 PM
The Nightingale

Where can this be seen?

It ix out there online, you just have to find it :).
There were some scenes that were so emotional and realistic that it was hard to watch yet beautifully done. It is slow paced, but a definite watch.

Ricky
01-02-2020, 05:59 PM

3. Quantum of Solace
2. Spectre
1. Skyfall

I'm going to need a bottle of Scotch here.

:lol:

All I have is Pepsi. You want ice?

The Nightingale

Been waiting on this for what seems like forever. I don't even think it was released here. DVD in the next month, I think, though!

Still Servant
01-02-2020, 08:19 PM
The Nightingale

Where can this be seen?

It's on Hulu. Proceed with caution.

Tommy
01-02-2020, 11:10 PM
The Irishman (3.5/4)

Iwritecode
01-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Finally got around to watching IT chapter 2.

My first thought was that it was about 30 to 45 minutes too long. That ending really dragged on. I enjoyed a lot of the little nods to the book that my wife and kids likely missed since they never read the book but I wish they would have expanded on them a little more. Like when Bill bought his bike back and said something about it being fast enough to "beat the devil".

I was happy to see them bring up the ritual of Chüd but it would've made more sense if it actually worked and they didn't keep the movie going for another hour. I also don't understand why they introduced Bill's wife and Bev's husband but then cut their story lines out completely. Seems like they could've fit them in somewhere.

I thought references to how Bill couldn't write a good ending was a little wink to SK and how everyone always complains about his endings as well. But they sort of beat that joke into the ground.

As always, they can't get the ending right. The book's ending was 100X better. They reduced Pennywise from a nearly immortal being not from this planet to a baby? Ugh. :arg:

6.5/10 with .5 taken out for that ending.

Mattrick
01-03-2020, 03:55 PM
I thought how they defeated Pennywise was great considering Pennywise was a total narcissist. The movie should've focused on that more as the book did.

The film made 3 key mistakes:

1- Bringing The Kids back: not only did it serve no real purpose except for more scares, it dragged down the running time and they just magically built that fort despite no mention of it in the first film? It should've been in the first film, not in the film at all, or they should've filmed both films at the same time to blend it together how the novel is.

2- The lack of characterization killed it. All the adult characters were concerned with was Pennywise whereas in the novel Bill is dealing with Audra, Bev is dealing with Tom, and there is also Henry Bowers (who does nothing of importance in the film considering his role is to take one Loser out of action to make them weaker). Richie is the only one who gets any development and Mike is the only one who seems to have an arc by the end. Bev/Ben are happy, but Tom is still around so she's still married and they have things to deal with. Bill learns how to write an ending, I guess. Considering how character driven the story is, this really hurt the film for me.

3- Pennywise needed clearer motives. In the novel it's quite clear IT hates The Losers because they made IT realize it might be the all-powerful superbeing it thought it was. What makes IT so fascinating as a character is how fragile its ego is and how it's belief it's all powerful is what defeats IT in the end. The reason why IT used Audra, Tom, and Bowers to do it's bidding was because IT doubted itself and that doubt was the key to its weakness. If I remember correctly too, the scenes with IT/Audra/Tom were where IT revealed a lot of its hangups as well. While Pennywise definitely seemed more vengeful in Chapter Two, it wasn't really explained. In the end, it makes the ending feel unexplained when a single scene could've provided that ending with all the context it needed.

DoctorZaius
01-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Took the wife and daughters to see Little Women. There are films that, as a father, I am proud to have a shared moment with. Hidden Figures was the last one, and now Little Women. A brilliant adaptation that will surely garner lots of award consideration.

Still Servant
01-04-2020, 12:58 PM
I haven't read the book or seen any of the Little Women films. Despite the great cast and Gerwig directing, I don't have a lot of interest in it.

DoctorZaius
01-04-2020, 03:16 PM
I haven't read the book or seen any of the Little Women films. Despite the great cast and Gerwig directing, I don't have a lot of interest in it.

Something I totally get. What I hate is the type of comments that ignore the fact that there is in fact a fine film directed by a woman this year, probably more than one. It's not about nominating a woman just because she's a woman. It's about recognizing the work. Would I nominate it for best picture, probably not. It's certainly deserving as a film, but my issue is with the fact that it's already been done before, not to this effect, but done before nonetheless.

Mattrick
01-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Debra Granik should've been nominated for Leave No Trace last year.

mae
01-04-2020, 04:34 PM
She has no chance but Lulu Wang should absolutely be nominated for directing The Farewell. An amazing film.

webstar1000
01-04-2020, 05:31 PM
The Nightingale

Where can this be seen?

Well shit. 27 mins in and my wife is PISSED.
Lol she made me shut it off and now I have to wait to finish. I’m sure you can understand what scene. Wow... what a movie so far though!

Mattrick
01-04-2020, 05:39 PM
I can't wait to watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again tomorrow with my friend. We're going to drink a bottle of Jameson during it and I know once we get to the last 30 minutes of the movie I'm going to laugh my ass off, and then I'll laugh even harder because I know my friend is going to lose it, and then we're going to end up watching it again after and we'll lose it twice as hard. It's going to be a good night.

allasorte
01-04-2020, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again tomorrow with my friend. We're going to drink a bottle of Jameson during it and I know once we get to the last 30 minutes of the movie I'm going to laugh my ass off, and then I'll laugh even harder because I know my friend is going to lose it, and then we're going to end up watching it again after and we'll lose it twice as hard. It's going to be a good night.

Don't cry in front of the Mexicans

fernandito
01-05-2020, 07:11 AM
I want to watch Nightingale but I have a problem with rape stuff. I can watch demons and zombies and shit like that all day long, but I have a difficult time sitting through stuff like that.

webstar1000
01-05-2020, 07:18 AM
I want to watch Nightingale but I have a problem with rape stuff. I can watch demons and zombies and shit like that all day long, but I have a difficult time sitting through stuff like that.

It’s very difficult to
Watch. Yes.

webstar1000
01-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Nightingale... loves every minute of this ride. 8.5/10

Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood... Hanks kills it but I found it slow and a little boring... 6/10

Kongo
01-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Uncut Gems:

Despite all the praise for the film, I had no desire to watch it. I went with a friend, and was pleasantly surprised. I used to love Adam Sandler, but I can't stand anything of his after 50 First Dates. He turned in a solid performance here, which we all know he's capable of if he actually tries. It's a super busy film too, with all sorts of bad decisions, and the fallout from them. On a side note, the opening of the film got a huge "wtf?" from the audience :wtf:

8/10

webstar1000
01-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Movie weekend continues.

A Marriage Story... beautifully done and I tried not to pick sides and it was easy. The lawyers were the antagonists here. Not the couple. Heartwarming and sad at the same time. 8/10

Zombie land Double Tap... fun. Not as good as the first but I didn’t mind it. 7/10

Jedi... the wife and I laughed a few times but were creeped out more than we laughed. Haha. 6/10

Still Servant
01-05-2020, 07:43 PM
The Nightingale

Where can this be seen?

Well shit. 27 mins in and my wife is PISSED.
Lol she made me shut it off and now I have to wait to finish. I’m sure you can understand what scene. Wow... what a movie so far though!

I love you, bro, but you have to do a little more research before putting that shit on. Especially with a woman present. You didn't hear about when the film was screened at Sundance they had therapists available outside of the theater? That's on you. :lol:

Heather19
01-06-2020, 05:08 AM

What....? :(

I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm dying to. It's such a great story. The one with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale is so good. But it is a little odd to me that they're remaking it yet again especially considering that PBS Masterpiece released a good version last year.

mae
01-06-2020, 05:09 AM
It's getting rave reviews and is considered one of the best of the year by many critics.

fernandito
01-06-2020, 10:03 AM
I'm very curious to check out Little Women, but it's highly unlikely I'll seek it out in theaters. As soon as that shit is out on streaming though I'm all over it.

Still Servant
01-06-2020, 06:15 PM

I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm dying to. It's such a great story. The one with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale is so good. But it is a little odd to me that they're remaking it yet again especially considering that PBS Masterpiece released a good version last year.

Yeah, it's true. It just never seemed to get on my radar. I'm interested in seeing the Bale one though.

Heather19
01-07-2020, 05:11 AM

Yeah, it's true. It just never seemed to get on my radar. I'm interested in seeing the Bale one though.

You should! It's good and I think you would like it. I was just so surprised when you said you hadn't seen any, because you're such a movie lover.

Tommy
01-07-2020, 05:22 AM

You should! It's good and I think you would like it. I was just so surprised when you said you hadn't seen any, because you're such a movie lover.

The only one I've seen is the one from 1933 with Katharine Hepburn because she is my favorite actress. I've never read the book but always wanted to. I may have to go see this one, it looks pretty good.

Randall Flagg
01-07-2020, 07:45 AM
There is something about early January that lends to the release of terrible movies.

If you were to take a Picasso and photocopy it a couple of times, you end up with a poor, grainy image of a masterpiece. The point is some things shouldn't be copied (remade). Which brings me to my most recent viewing.

The Grudge:
A remake of a remake of a Japanese original that was pretty good. The movie makers took a good recipe and ruined it. They turned a gourmet meal into menudo ice cream, and tripe pop-sickles. A few jump-starts, and several very graphic images don't make a cohesive movie. Avoid at all costs!

1/6 beers on the RFSRS.

webstar1000
01-07-2020, 07:55 AM
There is something about early January that lends to the release of terrible movies.

If you were to take a Picasso and photocopy it a couple of times, you end up with a poor, grainy image of a masterpiece. The point is some things shouldn't be copied (remade). Which brings me to my most recent viewing.

The Grudge:
A remake of a remake of a Japanese original that was pretty good. The movie makers took a good recipe and ruined it. They turned a gourmet meal into menudo ice cream, and tripe pop-sickles. A few jump-starts, and several very graphic images don't make a cohesive movie. Avoid at all costs!

1/6 beers on the RFSRS.

In 1979 Cinamascore started doing the scores on Movies... IN ALL THAT TIME... on 19 movies were given an 'F' from movie goers leaving the cinemas... UNTIL this past weekend when this movie became the 20th to get it!!! Not surprised at your score for it. lol

fernandito
01-07-2020, 08:46 AM
lol @ "menudo ice cream" :lol:

Mattrick
01-07-2020, 01:21 PM
My list of my favourite Hidden Gems of the 2010s

Part One (https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/favourite-hidden-gems-pt-1)
Part Two (https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/favourite-hidden-gems-pt-2)
Part Three (https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.com/countercultureshock/post/favourite-hidden-gems-pt-3)

Still Servant
01-07-2020, 03:34 PM

True to a certain extent. What if the original wasn't a Picasso? The Ocean's 11 remake is so much better than the original.

fernandito
01-10-2020, 09:10 AM

A staggering technical triumph. Mendes has taken the simplest of war narratives and turned it into an uncompromising work of art that simultaneously delivers both the intimate moments and large scale horrors of war. The 'single take' technique allows us to live side by side with our dual leads as they traverse a Tartarus like hellscape in pursuit of their mission, while also allowing us to drink in the gorgeous landscapes of a countryside ravaged by engines of destruction. An instant classic and a cornerstone in Mendes' already impressive filmography.

4.5/5

webstar1000
01-10-2020, 09:20 AM

A staggering technical triumph. Mendes has taken the simplest of war narratives and turned it into an uncompromising work of art that simultaneously delivers both the intimate moments and large scale horrors of war. The 'single take' technique allows us to live side by side with our dual leads as they traverse a Tartarus like hellscape in pursuit of their mission, while also allowing us to drink in the gorgeous landscapes of a countryside ravaged by engines of destruction. An instant classic and a cornerstone in Mendes' already impressive filmography.

4.5/5

OMG.. dammmmm. I am going in about 7 hours and NOW I AM REALLY PUMPED.

Question: Where do you place this in the line up of the great war movies of our time?

Randall Flagg
01-10-2020, 09:21 AM
I'm going in less than an hour!

fernandito
01-10-2020, 09:36 AM

4.5/5

OMG.. dammmmm. I am going in about 7 hours and NOW I AM REALLY PUMPED.

Question: Where do you place this in the line up of the great war movies of our time?

Hmmm... a little hard to say right now. It's not a war film in the most traditional sense, it's a more intimate film as we follow the leads throughout most of the movie. The focus isn't so much on the battles as they are on these guys weaving their way in and out of danger.

Knee jerk reaction? It'll land in my personal top 5 war films. Need to digest everything a bit more.

I'm going in less than an hour!

Hell yeah, you're gonna love it.

Shannon
01-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Jay And Silent Bob Reboot
3.5/5

Enjoyed the cameos of the first one, and a little bit of the humor. Gave the first one a 2.5/5. This one was much better, even a little heartfelt, if that's possible.

MikeDuke
01-10-2020, 01:36 PM
I am seeing 1917 tonight. I just wonder how it compares with Dunkirk. Which is one of my favorite recent war films.

Shannon
01-10-2020, 02:22 PM
I thought Dunkirk was an incredible letdown. From my favorite director, no less. 1917 looks to be amazing.

webstar1000
01-10-2020, 02:23 PM
I thought Dunkirk was an incredible letdown. From my favorite director, no less. 1917 looks to be amazing.

That movie in theatre (IMAX) was so intense.. the score was so well done. If 1917 is anything like it... I’m super excited. You didn’t like it eh?

Still Servant
01-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Speaking of IMAX, I really want to see 1917, but I want to wait until it's in IMAX theaters. At the moment near me, Star Wars is still dominating theaters. Due to contract obligations, theaters won't be able to free up an IMAX theater for another week at least.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2020, 05:43 PM
1917:
Cinematic, and technically, the film is a marvel. Shot as if in one single take it astonishes, yet occasionally is distracting. Still, it keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat. Not in my top 10 of greatest war movies of all time, but a very good movie nonetheless. Although based on a true story, a couple of things bothered me During his journey, one of the soldiers is picked up and transported towards his destination. When the bridge the convoy wanted to cross is discovered to have been destroyed, they leave the soldier to transit the river on his own. They don't even wait to ensure he safely crosses. Thus he ends up facing a sniper. After killing the sniper he is in the ruins of a town/large church and while trying to escape enemy soldiers, he stumbles across a woman hiding (with a large fire going?) who has an orphan infant girl she is trying to safeguard. Of course he has a canteen of milk to give the woman for the baby. Said canteen having been filled at a farm where all but one of the cows had been shot by retreating Germans. Awfully convenient.

5/6 Beers on the RFSRS

Mattrick
01-10-2020, 05:56 PM

Dunkirk is my favourite Nolan film.

There's nothing I'd have love to do more on my birthday than go see 1917, but I promised my friend I'd see it with him.

And of course my theatre IS STILL SHOWING BLACK FUCKING CHRISTMAS BUT CAN'T SCREEN UNCUT GEMS FUCK

webstar1000
01-10-2020, 06:05 PM
1917 was so VISCERAL....real, in the moment. Not my fav war movie of all time (I preferred Dunkirk more than this) BUT damm what a ride. 9/10

webstar1000
01-11-2020, 07:51 AM

There's nothing I'd have love to do more on my birthday than go see 1917, but I promised my friend I'd see it with him.

And of course my theatre IS STILL SHOWING BLACK FUCKING CHRISTMAS BUT CAN'T SCREEN UNCUT GEMS FUCK

It’s a brilliant film. It’s my second fav to Dark Knight. You didn’t like that one well if memory serves me?

MikeDuke
01-11-2020, 08:14 AM
Did not get a chance last night to see 1917, but I am seeing it today.

Mattrick
01-11-2020, 08:33 AM

It’s a brilliant film. It’s my second fav to Dark Knight. You didn’t like that one well if memory serves me?

All the Batman films are great. It's Inception and Interstellar I don't care for.

Shannon
01-11-2020, 08:42 AM
Inception, Interstellar, the Prestige, Dark Knight, and Memento were damn near perfect movies.

I thought Dunkirk was boring and pointless. "Let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Now let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Repeat."

I'd take Midway over Dunkirk, and that's saying something. Wait, unless you guys thought Midway was good? I can't tell with you people.

Heather19
01-11-2020, 08:53 AM
So me and my friend went to see Little Women last night, but honestly we were both a bit blah about it. Maybe I was just expecting more with all the rave reviews it was getting, but I wasnt impressed by it at all. Which bums me out because I was really looking forward to it.

They made a few odd choices with the film. First off they start at the end and move backwards via flashbacks. Which I didn't care for because then you know how it's going to end. It was like flipping to the back of a book and reading the conclusion before reading the story. In some instances I can see where that would work if there's still surprises to be had, but I wasn't sure why it was done here.

Secondly the casting choices for Amy and Laurie didn't work for me. Amy actually looked to be one of the most mature looking girls of the group, yet she is supposed to be the youngest. They also used the same actress for all the scenes where she's supposed to be about 12 years old. Which was weird seeing this grown woman throwing fits like a child does. It made it appear very comical versus realistic. And then we have the casting of Laurie who is the Male lead, yet he looks so young compared to all the girls.

I don't know, maybe I just expected more from it, but it's nothing I would have about. And I'd rank it at the bottom of the Little Women adaptations I've seen.

DoctorZaius
01-11-2020, 09:29 AM

All the Batman films are great. It's Inception and Interstellar I don't care for.

Really? I love the Batman trilogy, but Inception is a masterpiece in every way.

Mattrick
01-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Inception, Interstellar, the Prestige, Dark Knight, and Memento were damn near perfect movies.

I thought Dunkirk was boring and pointless. "Let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Now let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Repeat."

I'd take Midway over Dunkirk, and that's saying something. Wait, unless you guys thought Midway was good? I can't tell with you people.

Then you missed the point of Dunkirk. It's not about interesting characters, but people attempting to survive or help people survive. If you can't connect with people going through hell just to survive annihilation from certain doom because they're not interesting, that's not the movies fault. Hell to me would be being a soldier trying to escape the entire Nazi army who has me trapped on a beach and I have to be interesting while doing it.

Mattrick
01-11-2020, 04:30 PM

Really? I love the Batman trilogy, but Inception is a masterpiece in every way.

Inception is an extremely flawed film that distracts with obscene ideas and cool visuals. Narratively it's a dumpster fire. If you push how smart and super cool the movie is trying to be, it's enjoyable. Problem for me is that it wants to be so super cool and super smart it's impossible to ignore the flaws because it's so self-indulgent and self-serious.

Mattrick
01-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Speaking of Dunkirk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpJK4MUAMDM

fernandito
01-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Inception is a visual masterpiece but yeah, narratively speaking the film is convoluted and at times hokey. It keeps moving the goal posts and circumventing its own logic that you stop paying attention to the rules and just enjoy it for the ride.

Having said that though that film is a testament to the creative genius that is the Nolan brothers. It might not be a perfect film, but that's because we hold them to the highest of standards. I applaud their efforts to give us cerebral blockbusters that don't rely on the horsepower of existing IPs, they always start from scratch, always pushing the envelope of high scale storytelling.

Mattrick
01-14-2020, 04:34 AM
Inception is a visual masterpiece but yeah, narratively speaking the film is convoluted and at times hokey. It keeps moving the goal posts and circumventing its own logic that you stop paying attention to the rules and just enjoy it for the ride.

Having said that though that film is a testament to the creative genius that is the Nolan brothers. It might not be a perfect film, but that's because we hold them to the highest of standards. I applaud their efforts to give us cerebral blockbusters that don't rely on the horsepower of existing IPs, they always start from scratch, always pushing the envelope of high scale storytelling.

Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker from a production sense and he creates some stellar visuals with inventive camerawork. And I endlessly appreciate his dedication to using CGI as a last resort. But the biggest issues with his films is the human element, at least recently. He just has trouble writing characters that feel like real people. Most of the characters in Inception have very clear roles and purposes without any significant wrinkles. Dunkirk was great because so much of it was free of dialogue and the images do the talking. Interstellar looked fantastic and the performances were mostly solid. But the story was a mess. I was hard on Inception before mostly because it was considered a 'smart' movie when it's actually really dumb but so convoluted it and cleverly edited it gives the illusion of being a smart movie...but Interstellar is a far bigger narrative misfire and far, far dumber. I'll never forget leaving the theatre for Interstellar. Me and my two friends walked out in silence, stepped out the back doors, looked at each other, and started cackling at the same time.

I think the Nolan's come up with great concepts and ideas but have some trouble fleshing them out. They kind of remind me of George Lucas that way where he can make the core solidly, but he needs real writers and filmmakers out of it, except Nolan can direct really fucking well.

I'm certainly not rushing out to see Tenet considering me finding Inception fine but vastly overrated and I thought Interstellar was just bad. I kind of wish he was doing something simple and down to earth with like Dunkirk again. Hell, make another low-key drama again Nolan! Go back to your roots!

But I do have to say that while they make original movies and you're right, that is something to be respected in 2020, Feev...I do believe your beloved Batman is an IP with tons of horsepower :p

webstar1000
01-14-2020, 06:18 AM
ALL this talk about Nolan... has anyone gotten the chance to the 15 min preview for Tenet?????????????? I did before Star Wars and TOTALLY forgot to talk about how FUCKING AMAZING it was. IT had that music score like Dunkirk and my heart was pounding. It was unreal GOOD. That movie is going to be something to see next summer!

Ricky
01-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker from a production sense and he creates some stellar visuals with inventive camerawork. And I endlessly appreciate his dedication to using CGI as a last resort. But the biggest issues with his films is the human element, at least recently. He just has trouble writing characters that feel like real people. Most of the characters in Inception have very clear roles and purposes without any significant wrinkles. Dunkirk was great because so much of it was free of dialogue and the images do the talking. Interstellar looked fantastic and the performances were mostly solid. But the story was a mess. I was hard on Inception before mostly because it was considered a 'smart' movie when it's actually really dumb but so convoluted it and cleverly edited it gives the illusion of being a smart movie...but Interstellar is a far bigger narrative misfire and far, far dumber. I'll never forget leaving the theatre for Interstellar. Me and my two friends walked out in silence, stepped out the back doors, looked at each other, and started cackling at the same time.

I think the Nolan's come up with great concepts and ideas but have some trouble fleshing them out. They kind of remind me of George Lucas that way where he can make the core solidly, but he needs real writers and filmmakers out of it, except Nolan can direct really fucking well.

Agreed completely, Matt. Well said.

Still Servant
01-14-2020, 06:18 PM
ALL this talk about Nolan... has anyone gotten the chance to the 15 min preview for Tenet?????????????? I did before Star Wars and TOTALLY forgot to talk about how FUCKING AMAZING it was. IT had that music score like Dunkirk and my heart was pounding. It was unreal GOOD. That movie is going to be something to see next summer!

Nope. I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.

Mattrick
01-14-2020, 11:19 PM
1917 was pretty great, but I found it hard to really pay attention to the second half of the movie because my friend had a seizure of some kind at the midpoint. Once it was over and I got him back to being conscious I was keeping an eye on him and making sure he was fine, but I was checking on him constantly out of the corner of my eye and I definitely missed stuff and all the flow went out of it for me then.

The lack of a traditional narrative is the main strength of the film. You don't really learn about any of characters because it's not really important and I think that won't sit well with people...so if you couldn't get into Dunkirk because of how Nolan handled those characters, you will find 1917 even more frustrating in that regard. It's a gorgeous film though and Deakins knocks it out of the park. This couldn't have been an easy film to shoot with such long takes and large areas of land with the majority of the film taking place outside where a lack of control over lighting must make the timing of shots absolutely crucial. The scene with the town on the fire and the blackness, the flares casting shadows...just wow. Might have been the most gorgeous photography I have ever seen in a film. It was a marvel of using light and shadow, which Deakins does like no one else.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching it again when I can just enjoy the film without being so anxious and worried. But it is an excellent film.

5/5

Randall Flagg
01-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Underwater:

A terrific throwback to classic B movie thrillers. Grabs you at the start and stays tense until the very end. You care about every person, and it hurts when one is lost.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Mattrick
01-17-2020, 10:28 PM
Weathering With You was a fine follow up to Your Name. In some aspects it was a better film, in other aspects it wasn't. The central premise to Weathering With You is not as strong as the narrative in Your Name, but the overall cast of characters were strong in Weathering With You. As much I love Your Name, after the two central characters, the supporting characters are just okay. In Weathering With You, the supporting cast brings the film to life and each have their own stories that are nicely managed. It's the sort of film full of tiny details and it uses those details to tell stories rather than through exposition.

The animation of course is incredible and the main attraction with a Shinkai film. The way they managed to capture all that rain and water, and the snow at one scene just looked so authentic, is incredible. It has certain similarities to Your Name and I'm sure a lot of people will find the very end too similar to Your Name (though I do like Shinkai's usage of codas), the big climax of the film ended up being quite surprising. It's a risky choice, but that's what really stuck out for me and made me think about the entire film a little differently. It's rare that a happy ending comes at such a cost.

5/5

Still Servant
01-19-2020, 06:59 AM
Underwater:

A terrific throwback to classic B movie thrillers. Grabs you at the start and stays tense until the very end. You care about every person, and it hurts when one is lost.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for everyone. In fact, some scenes were hard to tell who was being killed. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I thought Stewart was about as bland as a lead character could be. T.J. Miller was doing his T.J. Miller thing, but it kind of gets old really quickly. I do like John Gallagher, but I thought he could have been given more to do. Vincent Cassel was the highlight of the film for me.

webstar1000
01-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Richard Jewel... I loved it. Great acting and too bad it didn’t do better at the box office. It was a powerful story and Bates definitely earned that Oscar nom. 8-5/10

Little Women.... Passssss on this snooze fest. I couldn’t even finish it and my wife hated it to but I am
NOT a fan of period pieces. Can’t really rate it cause I didn’t finish it.

mae
01-19-2020, 10:26 AM
Why would you walk out on a movie? Seems pretty wasteful. You’ve already paid for the ticket, might as well finish it. Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had the urge to walk out, even if the movie wasn’t great.

webstar1000
01-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Why would you walk out on a movie? Seems pretty wasteful. You’ve already paid for the ticket, might as well finish it. Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had the urge to walk out, even if the movie wasn’t great.

No it was home. I have never walked out of a Theatre. This was a screener that a friend gave us. He got it on line.

Mattrick
01-19-2020, 03:27 PM
I walked out on each of the new Star Trek movies. And I watched those at home too. I just left the room and let it play while I did something else. They weren't even worth hitting stop.

Still Servant
01-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Richard Jewel... I loved it. Great acting and too bad it didn’t do better at the box office. It was a powerful story and Bates definitely earned that Oscar nom. 8-5/10

Little Women.... Passssss on this snooze fest. I couldn’t even finish it and my wife hated it to but I am
NOT a fan of period pieces. Can’t really rate it cause I didn’t finish it.

I enjoyed Little Women. The dialogue is snappy and fresh. It held my interest. I was able to appreciate the direction and the acting, even though it's not one of my favorite films of the year. I don't have any of the other films to compare it to and I can understand why someone like Heather who is a fan of the source material would be underwhelmed. Gerwig decides to tell the story in a non-linear way, which might turn off purists.

Randall Flagg
01-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Bad Boys For Life:

Entertaining and (IMO) better than the original and far better than BBII. Quite a few good chuckles, some tense moments, and of course wonderful Miami scenery.

4.4/6 Beers on the RFSRS. A scene in the credits hints at a sequel which would seem to be distasteful.

kingfan2323
01-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Bad Boys For Life:

Entertaining and (IMO) better than the original and far better than BBII. Quite a few good chuckles, some tense moments, and of course wonderful Miami scenery.

4.4/6 Beers on the RFSRS. A scene in the credits hints at a sequel which would seem to be distasteful.Cool to know. First one without Michael Bay directing. The new guys do a good job continuing the Michael Bay look and feel?

seeking: anything DT#246

Heather19
01-21-2020, 05:10 AM
Mike I'm super curious, since you have no knowledge of the book or movies, was the non-linear storytelling an issue for you?

That doesnt normally bother me with a film, except in this case it basically spelled out everything that was going to happen from the get go, instead of letting there be some surprises. There were 2 big things, knowing Beth is sick and Laurie and Jo not ending up together. Both are very big surprises and heartbreaks in the story. Yet here you know right away so it's not as powerful.

Also how did you feel about the casting of Amy? I know you're a fan of hers, but it was such a miscast for me here, I'm shocked she was nominated for an Oscar.

Randall Flagg
01-21-2020, 08:35 AM
Bad Boys For Life:

4.4/6 Beers on the RFSRS. A scene in the credits hints at a sequel which would seem to be distasteful.Cool to know. First one without Michael Bay directing. The new guys do a good job continuing the Michael Bay look and feel?

The new guys do a great job with the vibe.

Still Servant
01-21-2020, 04:16 PM
Mike I'm super curious, since you have no knowledge of the book or movies, was the non-linear storytelling an issue for you?

That doesnt normally bother me with a film, except in this case it basically spelled out everything that was going to happen from the get go, instead of letting there be some surprises. There were 2 big things, knowing Beth is sick and Laurie and Jo not ending up together. Both are very big surprises and heartbreaks in the story. Yet here you know right away so it's not as powerful.

Also how did you feel about the casting of Amy? I know you're a fan of hers, but it was such a miscast for me here, I'm shocked she was nominated for an Oscar.

I didn't have a problem with the choice to use flashbacks. Yes, it does spoil some things. In regards to Laurie and Jo, it would have been nice for them to leave that as a surprise. Then again, they actually show that scene in the trailer where she says she doesn't want to be with him.

As for Beth, my sister messed me up there because she told me that Jo dies because it was part of a Friends episode. Of course, she was remembering incorrectly. So Beth's death ended up being a surprise for me. It broke my heart because she was such a sweet girl and literally got sick delivering food to the poor family.

You're right, I'm a huge Florence Pugh fan, so I'm a bit biased, but I also have nothing to compare her to. I thought she did a great job of playing the bratty, difficult one.

The best way I could sum up my feelings towards the film is when Amy says to Laurie, "I would be respected if I couldn't be loved." I didn't love the film, but really respected what Gerwig was able to do. It's a story that has been told so many times and it's not easy for her to come in and make it fresh.

Still Servant
01-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Has anybody seen Under the Silver Lake? I remember the film landing on my radar a few years ago because it was directed by David Robert Mitchell, who directed It Follows. Then it got pushed to 2019 and then got completely buried. A24 essentially sent it straight to streaming.

I'd love to get more thoughts from those who have seen it. It's one of those odd films that is destined to divide people. I quite enjoyed it, but I can see why it gets so much hate. Andrew Garfield was really good in it and the film kind of has a Big Lebowski vibe in the sense that it kind of meanders. It also has a noir feel to it. The film has a lot to say about Hollywood, pop culture and the affect it has on the people we become.

Just in case it's not clear this one is NSFW (Not Safe for Webstar)

Garrell
01-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Great film. Top ten war movie. Go see it and enjoy the cinematography as well as the story. Ranks in my top three on cinematography. Wow.
5/6

Heather19
01-23-2020, 04:43 AM
Has anybody seen Under the Silver Lake? I remember the film landing on my radar a few years ago because it was directed by David Robert Mitchell, who directed It Follows. Then it got pushed to 2019 and then got completely buried. A24 essentially sent it straight to streaming.

I'd love to get more thoughts from those who have seen it. It's one of those odd films that is destined to divide people. I quite enjoyed it, but I can see why it gets so much hate. Andrew Garfield was really good in it and the film kind of has a Big Lebowski vibe in the sense that it kind of meanders. It also has a noir feel to it. The film has a lot to say about Hollywood, pop culture and the affect it has on the people we become.

I've never even heard of it. I'll have to check it out though. I loved It Follows.

fernandito
01-23-2020, 08:46 AM
I'd be down but it stars Andrew Annoying Ass Face Garfield so I'll pass.

Mattrick
01-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Sounds like you paid for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

fernandito
01-23-2020, 01:09 PM
YES :mad:

Still Servant
01-23-2020, 06:11 PM

I've never even heard of it. I'll have to check it out though. I loved It Follows.

It's nothing like that film. He went in a completely different direction this time around. He clearly has talent, and he hasn't really received a lot of attention just yet.

Well, as an L.A. guy, you might want to check it out. You would probably recognize a lot of the spots.

Mattrick
01-24-2020, 10:24 AM
YES :mad:

The trauma is easy to spot.

webstar1000
01-25-2020, 04:50 AM
Bad Boys For Life:

The new guys do a great job with the vibe.

Oh man I agree. I seen it in 4DX last night here in Orlando. The vibe was bang on. It was so good. Far better than the last two. First time I’ve liked will smith in a LONG time to. Loved it.

Garrell
01-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Just Mercy
Absolutely loved it. Great film, great writing in the way it unfolds. Very emotional movie. Not a huge Jamie Foxx fan. He can be too much sometimes but he is not over the top in this. The story is the main star here.
4.5/5 or even 5

Still Servant
01-26-2020, 02:48 PM
The Gentlemen

At first glance, this past weekend was kind of a dud in terms of new films being released, not surprising considering it's January. The new Bad Boys film did very well last week and I'm sure it will lead at the box office once again. Other than that, we got a horror film that is DOA and last weekend's box office bust Dr. Dolittle.

That being said, the film of the weekend for me is The Gentlemen, the new Guy Ritchie film. I'm not really sure why, but the film was released with little to no fanfare. With a recognizable director and a strong cast of Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant, I'm surprised the studio wouldn't have treated the film a little better than just dumping it at the end of January.

This is an easy recommendation for me. All I need to know is if you are a fan of Ritchie's early gangster films like Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells. If so, then there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy The Gentlemen. Like those films, The Gentlemen shares a knack for eccentric characters, snappy dialogue, a twisty almost convoluted plot and lots and lots of F-bombs.

After Rocknrolla and Revolver, Ritchie took his newfound stardom and parlayed that into Hollywood blockbusters with the Sherlock Holmes films, which were fun, but forgettable. Last year, Ritchie released the Aladdin remake, an odd choice from the start, but I thought he actually did a nice job with bringing the animated classic to life.

After watching The Gentleman, it's clear to me that British gangster films is where Ritchie shines best. The Gentleman is a perfect companion piece to his previous gangster films and I would love for him to play in that sandbox a few more times before turning his attention to another Hollywood Blockbuster.

The worst part about watching a Guy Ritchie gangster film is that I talk with a thick cockney accent for a week. It gets really awkward when I start calling people the C-word.

Mattrick
01-26-2020, 11:51 PM
It gets really awkward when I start calling people the C-word.

Cuck?

Heather19
01-27-2020, 05:00 AM
I'm dying to see The Gentlemen. So glad to hear it's like his earlier films. I couldn't get into Sherlock Holmes at all and gave up on him after that, so I was happy to see that he was heading back to his roots.

Still Servant
01-27-2020, 09:16 AM
I'm dying to see The Gentlemen. So glad to hear it's like his earlier films. I couldn't get into Sherlock Holmes at all and gave up on him after that, so I was happy to see that he was heading back to his roots.

I was thinking of you while watching it because I know you're a fan of his other gangster films.

Ricky
01-27-2020, 09:19 AM
I watched Judy last night. Can we just save some time and give Renee the Oscar already? What a great performance. I wouldn't have known it was Renee if I hadn't known beforehand. It really was a complete transformation in look, personality, and mannerisms. Overall, Judy is more of a character piece than a big, sweeping film with lots of moving pieces, but it's got a great lead performance, nice moments of humor, heart, and real emotion, and I learned a lot about Garland that I hadn't known before. It is truly sad how poorly she was used, abused, and spat out by the Old Hollywood "system". I couldn't believe she was only 47 when she died.

Randall Flagg
01-28-2020, 08:07 AM
The Last Full Measure:

Based on a true story, but bending the facts quite a bit for dramatic effect, this movie is about the attempt to have a Navy Airman posthumously awarded The Medal of honor. Featuring several older actors (William Hurt, Ed Harris, Christopher Plummer, Samuel Jackson, Peter Fonda, and more) who swing for the fence in their scenes and for the most part hit home runs.

A bit maudlin and intentionally meant to tug at your heartstrings, the movie worked for me.

4.5/6 Beers on the RFSRS.

Garrell
01-30-2020, 11:59 AM
The Lighthouse 0/6
Just shoot me.
Top five film...... 5 worst films that is. I would watch About Schmidt 50 times over and over before I would even watch a trailer to Lighthouse. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.
Did I mention it sucked? If you cut the sound off, it may be tolerable due to cinematography.

Mattrick
01-30-2020, 01:38 PM
I love The Lighthouse and About Schmidt! The Lighthouse was me #1 film of the year until 1917. Top five worst films? I literally can't even.

fernandito
01-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Is it April Fools yet? I don't get it.

webstar1000
01-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Lol not everyone likes the same stuff guys. Haha

Still Servant
01-30-2020, 04:39 PM
The Lighthouse 0/6
Just shoot me.
Top five film...... 5 worst films that is. I would watch About Schmidt 50 times over and over before I would even watch a trailer to Lighthouse. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.
Did I mention it sucked? If you cut the sound off, it may be tolerable due to cinematography.

I will never understand why people watch films that are clearly not meant for them. You should know your taste by now and therefore not even waste your time with a film like this. There are tons of films that I know just aren't for me and I just don't watch them.

For the record, The Lighthouse is really good. There's so much going on in that film than what is on the surface.

Yes, everyone likes different stuff, but a zero? Come on. Even films I loathe I can usually find something redeeming in it. You can't give it a half a point for the acting? The cinematography?

Garrell
01-30-2020, 06:16 PM
The cinematography did get a point, the rest was so bad it knocked it back down to zero. I am a huge fan of DaFoe as I said. His acting would have been a saving point had the dialogue had a purpose. I guess every one who loved it, missed the dog scene? Maybe back when I was a stoner, I would have giving it a 1. As to what Still Servant said, I try not to watch trailers and do make it a point to watch certain actors. Just because a critic says it is good, doesn’t make it so. Just because someone doesn’t have the same taste as you, doesn’t mean their opinion is wrong also.

allasorte
01-30-2020, 06:41 PM
The cinematography did get a point, the rest was so bad it knocked it back down to zero. I am a huge fan of DaFoe as I said. His acting would have been a saving point had the dialogue had a purpose. I guess every one who loved it, missed the dog scene? Maybe back when I was a stoner, I would have giving it a 1. As to what Still Servant said, I try not to watch trailers and do make it a point to watch certain actors. Just because a critic says it is good, doesn’t make it so. Just because someone doesn’t have the same taste as you, doesn’t mean their opinion is wrong also.

The acting in The Lighthouse was fantastic and the slow regression of the mental state of the two main characters was great to see. But, it was a boring movie that was hard to stay awake for. I would never see it again.

Tommy
01-30-2020, 10:54 PM
!917 was a bit like watching someone play a beautiful video game for two hours.

St. Troy
01-31-2020, 07:42 AM

I feel your pain.

Still Servant
01-31-2020, 04:20 PM

I didn't say you were wrong. I just think 0 is too harsh.

Randall Flagg
01-31-2020, 05:10 PM
The Rhythm Section:

Damn, six letters in the first word, and no vowels.

A slow burning movie which shows the difficulty of an average person (let alone a drug riddled prostitute) trying to achieve vengeance against those who killed her family on a flight she happened to have missed.

The heroine gives a phenomenal performance. She's not an Atomic Blond, or any other female superhero. She's just a grieve stricken drug addled prostitute.

Her confrontations against those she wishes to annihilate are sloppy-she's not a professional, and it's surprising each time that she survives.

4/6 Beers on the RFSRS