PDA

View Full Version : Undervalued books

carlosdetweiller
04-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I was thinking about how hard it seems to find a truly fine/fine copy of the UK (Macdonald) edition of CUJO. I'm talking about a really nice copy with a priced/unclipped dust jacket with no names or inscriptions, no wear to the dust jacket and none of the very common "spine lean" (or whatever it is called).

Just about every nice copy I see on eBay is the unpriced or "export" edition. And they almost always have "spine lean" where the edge of the front board extends past the leading edge of the rear board.

I have thought for a few years now that nice copies with priced dj's are much scarcer than collector's realize and, when available, should command much higher prices. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I never see acceptable copies for sale.

Anyone else with opinions on books that seem undervalued?

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I was thinking about how hard it seems to find a truly fine/fine copy of the UK (Macdonald) edition of CUJO. I'm talking about a really nice copy with a priced/unclipped dust jacket with no names or inscriptions, no wear to the dust jacket and none of the very common "spine lean" (or whatever it is called).

Just about every nice copy I see on eBay is the unpriced or "export" edition. And they almost always have "spine lean" where the edge of the front board extends past the leading edge of the rear board.

I have thought for a few years now that nice copies with priced dj's are much scarcer than collector's realize and, when available, should command much higher prices. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I never see acceptable copies for sale.

I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions) which is why its so hard to find a decent copy of the UK earlier editions that I think might still include Cujo even though I think Viking was the publisher by then. Supposedly, the UK exports were originally US BOMC editions shipped for export and got mingled with other editions. Also, Doubleday was known for "cheaping-out" on printing quality. I don't know how accurate my recollection of the conversation at the time (at least 2 years ago) is, but maybe its best to go to an expert like Hutch or Wizardsrainbow directly, rather than rely on my feeble mind!! LOL For what its worth, I managed to get a very nice UK copy of Cujo on Ebay from a UK/US dealer (anjinsanbooks I think was the name). If you need it I have a few reputable UK sellers saved in my ebay I could go get for you if you like. Just PM me and I'd be happy to assist!

That wasn't too much help was it? LOL

biomieg
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Interesting thoughts, Bob, and a great and informative reply Merlin. Being a novice collector I have nothing to add except that my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting thoughts, Bob, and a great and informative reply Merlin. Being a novice collector I have nothing to add except that my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.

I don't mean to be a doomsayer or anything, but my understanding is that no price, no first. The Unpriced first's are (usually BOMC, some export) surprisingly easy to come by. I've seen a lot of them over the years on sale from folks in Australia, etc in addition to UK sellers (the shipping will kill ya from Aussy!!). I collect what I believe to be the true UK first's that have a price in pounds, but that's just me and my eccentricities. I think the exports are shipped sans the price so that the dealers abroad can place price stickers on them for sale in their respective country and currency.

If that's any help.

biomieg
04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh but I agree with you - I do want priced DJs, too. But this is one of the books I purchased when I still didn't know (or cared) much about 1st edition features. I will probably replace it someday. I'm calling it a 1st because it has all the ID points of a 1st -except the DJ price.

wizardsrainbow
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

...but maybe its best to go to an expert like Hutch or Wizardsrainbow directly, rather than rely on my feeble mind!!

OMG! :panic: Now I'm an expert!

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Oh but I agree with you - I do want priced DJs, too. But this is one of the books I purchased when I still didn't know (or cared) much about 1st edition features. I will probably replace it someday. I'm calling it a 1st because it has all the ID points of a 1st -except the DJ price.

I hear ya. Like you, when I first started collecting I gobbled up six or seven UK editions thinking great. Then I found out about the true first's and since I collect, as a modest investment as well as, a hobby, I had to go out and re-purchase the true firsts for each. Big difference in price and its a bitch having to query every seller to find out if its in fact a UK first (they all think they are!!! LOL). But, I persevered and I've now got the missing titles down to a short list; The Stand (Original), Carrie, Salem's Lot and Night Shift. mansionbooks.com is a good place to look for them if you're interested.

Best of Luck to you!!!!!!

Oh and Dave? You're an expert compared to me!! (even if you are a freaking Red Sox Fan!!) LOL LOL To date I refuse to add "Faithful" to my collection. Far as I'm concerned it was never written or published! LOL :wtf:

biomieg
04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I only need Carrie (and Cujo, apparently) to complete my UK trade 1sts collection - not that the early (i.e. seventies) books are all in great shape, but I tend to be happy with a VG dust jacket most of the time. I'm a fairly easygoing collector!

*edit* that's why I'm also happy with my red-leather-rebound UK Danse Macabre 1st!

... and I will now refrain from drifting offtopic even further... ;)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions)

This is bollocks. UK first editions are all printed in the UK. All have prices printed on the dust jackets.

Cujo was printed in Aylesbury on lovely paper made from Scottish trees.

My copy is Fine/Fine with no spine lean.

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions)

This is bollocks. UK first editions are all printed in the UK. All have prices printed on the dust jackets.

Well there you have it. Obviously an expert of which I have never professed to be, and I'm outta here.

carlosdetweiller
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I've always considered the copies price in UK pounds and the unpriced (presumably for export) copies to both be first editions but, for collecting purposes, the priced copies are much more desirable. I tend to ignore the export versions and only accept the priced editions for my collection.

I've got multiple copies of most books and am always looking to add a nice book to my collection. What prompted me to begin this thread in the first place is that I have clicked on every UK copy of CUJO that has appeared on eBay and I haven't found a copy worth buying in five years or more. It just struck me as odd since I don't really consider it a rare book but, in my experience, finding copies in collectible condition is a real challenge.

Randall Flagg
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Well there you have it. Obviously an expert of which I have never professed to be, and I'm outta here.
I don't think information (presumptively correct) is a reason to run away.
We like you here.:couple:

Patrick
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Mr. R.T., I'd love to see a photo or two of your F/F, no lean, price-printed, 1st UK edition of CUJO. Pretty please.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/cujo.jpg

herbertwest
04-03-2010, 02:24 AM
They are both british right?
Which one is the "normal", and which is the export?

shnnrc01
04-03-2010, 03:22 AM
US (viking)on the right,UK(macdonald) on the left

shnnrc01
04-03-2010, 03:24 AM
i also have a GBP 6.95 dj and mine is F/F.

Brice
04-03-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm really not good about grading, but I'd guess mine is fine or pretty close to it.

frik
04-03-2010, 07:01 AM
This is mine - I thought it was a 1st/1st edition, but there's no price..
Still, a lovely copy though!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7053/stephenkingadditions004.jpg

Patrick
04-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for sharing those photos, guys. I have CUJO-envy.

frik
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.

Same here.
Now I would really like to hear from someone who does own a priced 1st/1st of Macdonald's Cujo...

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.

Same here.
Now I would really like to hear from someone who does own a priced 1st/1st of Macdonald's Cujo...

sk

?
Mine is priced, as is shnnrc01's in the post above.

frik
04-04-2010, 02:24 AM
?Mine is priced, as is shnnrc01's in the post above.

Thanks!
(Must not have been too awake...)

sk

Pasiuk57
04-04-2010, 03:48 PM
mine is priced at 8.95 pounds

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
mine is priced at 8.95 pounds

£2 more than the 1st/1st

Calla_Wolf
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Interesting thread.

Moving away from Cujo...

I remember having a conversation with Stu at Betts about the Grant Limited Ed of Prime Evil. He described that as 'undervalued' given the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous. Perhaps, I ventured, it's the fact that it's a book of short stories. Having said that, Quietly Now, Book of the Dead and I am Legend are books of short stories and can command similar prices to Prime Evil....despite the fact that the production values on PE were much higher.

carlosdetweiller
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
despite the fact that the production values on PE were much higher.

I've always thought that PRIME EVIL was the most beautiful book Donald Grant ever produced. Others don't like it much, though, and I've never understood why.

Randall Flagg
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I love the production craftsmanship on Prime Evil.
Couple of pics from the Catalog:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x282/zoidsmith/IMG_1556-1.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/P10103761.JPG

Room 217 Caretaker
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm in complete agreement on this. I recently sold a Prime Evil S/L that is on it's way to Japan to be displayed in a glass case. I told the lady that purchased it, in the world of collecting King this is called a sleeper but the value is really there, keep an eye on it.

I feel the same about Night Visions 5 S/L. Three top selling authors in one great book but the value always seems to be held down for some reason.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I love it....but I think the complete black design throws some people off...silly, but I guess it's as good a reason as any. It's not super rare, with 1250 copies (US+UK), and it's not one of SK's books...but then soooo many good sigs.

As for Night Visions V - it's "just" a normal hardcover in a traycase...so despite the small limitation, and the great author's represented, it just doesn't really hook anybody in, I guess...

Patrick
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Content aside, just about exterior aesthetics: I agree that the complete black design of PRIME EVIL doesn't particularly grab some people (I'm one of them, although I do own the book). Moreso now that there are other complete black presentations that look more impressive in comparison (Centipede's 'SALEM'S LOT comes immediately to mind).

biomieg
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
I seem to remember that someone (I believe it was John) once said something about how few copies of the third state 'Salem's Lot seem to come up for sale. This is supposed to be the most common version of the first edition but almost every online listing is either a BCE, a later printing, or a second state first edition.

Thoughts, anyone? And what about the value of this book? I'm not sure what it typically sells for but is this also a book that may be categorized as 'undervalued'? I know that the first and second states are the most collectible but I would love to add a nice third state, first edition to my collection. I've actually been meaning to do just that because a second state copy in the desired condition is expensive... but so far they seem harder to find than I expected.

Merlin1958
04-06-2010, 07:54 AM
I seem to remember that someone (I believe it was John) once said something about how few copies of the third state 'Salem's Lot seem to come up for sale. This is supposed to be the most common version of the first edition but almost every online listing is either a BCE, a later printing, or a second state first edition.

Thoughts, anyone? And what about the value of this book? I'm not sure what it typically sells for but is this also a book that may be categorized as 'undervalued'? I know that the first and second states are the most collectible but I would love to add a nice third state, first edition to my collection. I've actually been meaning to do just that because a second state copy in the desired condition is expensive... but so far they seem harder to find than I expected.

Good point Bio! I too have been looking for a 3rd state. The Collector estimates value at 200-$350, I have been regularly searching for a month or so now and you're right all that seems to come up are the 1st/2nd states, Illus, 93 reprint and that damn omnibus!!

I guess all those who have it are not parting with it!!!

Stockerlone
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I think a lot of the anthologies like Quietly Now, A Life In The Cinema, Borderlands 5 of cause Prime Evil are undervalued. And Die Augen des Drachen - Edition Phantasia Portfolio lim.100. Eyes of the Dragon German Portfolio lim. 100.

jemaher
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I Still love the Prime evil.. it is a superbly crafted book in a premium clam-shell case. it has a long list of signatories. and can often be had for a song.

Rahfa
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I think a lot of the anthologies like Quietly Now, A Life In The Cinema, Borderlands 5 of cause Prime Evil are undervalued. And Die Augen des Drachen - Edition Phantasia Portfolio lim.100. Eyes of the Dragon German Portfolio lim. 100.

Life in Cinema - which I don't have and don't want - is surprisingly cheap...it has Clive Barker's signature too, right?

lophophoras
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Life in Cinema - which I don't have and don't want - is surprisingly cheap...it has Clive Barker's signature too, right?

Yes it does. And it also comes with two small prints, one signed by Barker and one signed by Garris.

Randall Flagg
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Yes it does. And it also comes with two small prints, one signed by Barker and one signed by Garris.

I think that is on the two versions of the Lettered edition.
Thanks to Mr. Rabbit Trick:
Gauntlet did an Artist 'Lettered' Edition with 16 Lettered copies.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x282/zoidsmith/cinema_ae_1a.jpg

Link (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Collectibles:A+Life+In+The+Cine ma+-+Lettered+Artist+Presentation+Copy)

Stockerlone
04-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Also in the lettered ´A Life in the Cinema´ the signed CD:idea:

Fsmdr
04-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, Life In The Cinema rarely goes above $100. For a hardcover with a King signature?. I just won one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190388098166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Room 217 Caretaker
04-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah, Life In The Cinema rarely goes above $100. For a hardcover with a King signature?. I just won one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190388098166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Excellent win. I want to say you picked it up under publish price.

Wasn't publish price $125 on this one?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
04-19-2010, 03:45 AM
That's what I paid from the publisher last year.

John

shibus
04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I found this thread interesting and thought I would add my own choice to it. Mark Ziesing's S/L Insomnia. With 1250 copies, it's only 250 more than the Limited's of Skeleton Crew and Christine and yet continuely sells for up to a third less. I was able able to get another copy here for a ridiculously great price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150433558102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I love the story (And It's Dark Tower related) and the the book is well made. I find the Traycase to be one of the best done in Color and Quality. Much better than both the SC and Christine. I think it definitely fits in the "Undervalued" category.

sleeplessdwarf
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, I will have to agree there shibus at that price. It was exactly a year ago that I gave right around 300$ for it.

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,
I found this thread interesting and thought I would add my own choice to it. Mark Ziesing's S/L Insomnia. With 1250 copies, it's only 250 more than the Limited's of Skeleton Crew and Christine and yet continuely sells for up to a third less. I was able able to get another copy here for a ridiculously great price.

I love the story (And It's Dark Tower related) and the the book is well made. I find the Traycase to be one of the best done in Color and Quality. Much better than both the SC and Christine. I think it definitely fits in the "Undervalued" category.

I agree. And unless I have my facts wrong, it is the true first edition. One of the few limited editions to come out before the trade edition.

Randall Flagg
04-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Perhaps the typos and the era (look it up, there was a recession ~1983, and ~1993-book released in 1994) contributed to the indifference.
It is a beautifully produced S/L.

Ari_Racing
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I surely got it undervalue: 76 dls. :)

jhanic
04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John

Sam
04-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Insomnia remains my favorite of all the S/Ls so far, typos and all. It is beautifully produced, the traycase is stunning by itself and then you open it up and slide the book out. The limitation sheet is very artfully done as well. In fact, the only drawback to the book IS the fact the the text isn't the final text.

Of course I haven't actually laid my own eyes on a copy of The Stand S/L yet.

Either way, Insomnia S/L is certainly underpriced.

Sam
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John

An errata sheet came with Insomnia? Would you please PM me with a little more information? I purchased my copy from Stu years ago and didn't receive one with mine.

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM

John

An errata sheet came with Insomnia? Would you please PM me with a little more information? I purchased my copy from Stu years ago and didn't receive one with mine.

I got an errata sheet (actually a slip of paper) with DESPERATION but I've not heard of one for INSOMNIA.

sleeplessdwarf
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
The copy I have did not come with one and reading this is the first I have heard of one. This question belongs in another thread, but while we are on the topic of the S/L of Insomnia, I will pose it here anyway. Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251? I would assume that anyone collecting and trying to have the matching numbers to all of their books would be an option, so surely the copies start with #1 and end with #1250. As most of you know, I am fairly new at true collecting, so please forgive if this was a silly question. Either way, it is one of my favorites by far. From the slipcase to the actual book, I really enjoy having it.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251?

There could be 1300 copies, (or more), as all publishers print extra copies to account for missprints and damage. The extras are usually sold off as "PC" copies.

There has never been a book printed that does not have some sort of printing error somewhere in the batch. It's a high speed process and faults occur in the production as normal.

One very good reason for taking off shrinkwrap.

frik
04-23-2010, 11:04 PM

John

I ordered directly from the publisher, and my copies came without.

sk

Randall Flagg
04-24-2010, 05:03 AM

John

I got an errata sheet (actually a slip of paper) with DESPERATION but I've not heard of one for INSOMNIA.

My mistake. Desperation had the errata sheet.

jhanic
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
My mistake also. I confused Insomnia with Desperation. No errata sheet with Insomnia.

John

carlosdetweiller
04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Perhaps the typos and the era (look it up, there was a recession ~1983, and ~1993-book released in 1994) contributed to the indifference.

For whatever reason it isn't popular with collectors it continues to accentuate the fact that collectors just don't value first editions anymore. Which particular issue was published first is not of concern to the vast majority of collectors. The "gift edition" was the first (according to Mark Zeising) but it does not command much on the secondary market considering the relatively small number of copies.

The Library Policeman
04-24-2010, 08:42 AM

For whatever reason it isn't popular with collectors it continues to accentuate the fact that collectors just don't value first editions anymore. Which particular issue was published first is not of concern to the vast majority of collectors. The "gift edition" was the first (according to Mark Zeising) but it does not command much on the secondary market considering the relatively small number of copies.

Yep. I bought a flatsigned gift edition from shibus last year for a great price.

sleeplessdwarf
04-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251?

There could be 1300 copies, (or more), as all publishers print extra copies to account for missprints and damage. The extras are usually sold off as "PC" copies.

There has never been a book printed that does not have some sort of printing error somewhere in the batch. It's a high speed process and faults occur in the production as normal.

One very good reason for taking off shrinkwrap.

I think this was discussed when I was deciding to buy the book or not. It was to be a birthday present for myself, cause the wife almost blew 450$ on a BC copy of Carrie. That was the book we really wanted due to year of publishing, but after her near mistake, I went looking myself. Insomnia was a book that would hold as much sentimental value to me as Carrie. There were talks of the P/C copy not being worth as much as a true numbered copy and back and forth. I only paid 300$ and at the time it was my first signed King book on the shelf. Guess value is in the eye of the buyer cause I do not mind what I gave for it either way.

Randall Flagg
11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Gratuitous bump.

Merlin1958
11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Gratuitous bump.

Worked on me!!!!! LOL

:lol1:

Stockerlone
11-03-2011, 01:35 AM
For me, undervalued books are ... all SPECIAL German Stephen King books.

The one and only limited to 25 signed from SK German SK book Duddits - Dreamcatcher
Of cause all 4 German Edition Phantasia Stephen King books (especial the German Dadd - eyes of the dragon signed limited to 100 Portfolio)
And the limited to 15 books German leatherbound Transgalaxis Stephen King books.

CRinVA
11-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I donated my Life in the Cinema to our fundraiser two years ago! Quietly Now sold originally for $40 - and there are 30 signatures!

Stockerlone
12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
For me, undervalued books are ... all SPECIAL German Stephen King books.

The one and only limited to 25 signed from SK German SK book Duddits - Dreamcatcher
Of cause all 4 German Edition Phantasia Stephen King books (especial the German Dadd - eyes of the dragon signed limited to 100 Portfolio)
And the limited to 15 books German leatherbound Transgalaxis Stephen King books.

My new one:
Die Augen des Drachen - The Eyes of the Dragon - Publisher Transgalaxis limited to 15.
Red leather bound with golden spine.
The first EVER that was for sale, an german collector sells 3 Transgalaxis books, Die Augen Des Drachen was the missing one in my collection.
https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlone/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=166980096&imageType=image

Brice
12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
That's a great looking book. Congratulations!

Randall Flagg
09-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Authentic, dated, signed (even if inscribed, to "Joe") 1st editions of King's earlier (let's just say pre-1985~ish) books need to be on the radar.
The supply will only diminish.

I'm not suggesting to buy this book, but here is an example of books to consider. Check the details.

Per the Catalog:
Copyright page states: “FIRST EDITION.” Gutter code Y38 on page on page 374

First state dustjackets incorrectly stated 1982 as the year of publication of Tabitha King's "Caretakers". Later dustjackets correctly stated 1983
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-PET-SEMATARY-Signed-1st-Edition-Doubleday-1983-Near-Fine-dj-HC-/321528308387?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item4adc94a2a3

webstar1000
09-22-2014, 03:57 AM
This is an interesting thread... what other books in todays market do you think are under valued. I for one have a few that I consider to be so...

Br!an
09-22-2014, 05:17 AM
This is an interesting thread... what other books in todays market do you think are under valued. I for one have a few that I consider to be so...

Do tell.

webstar1000
09-22-2014, 05:38 AM

Do tell.

I think the IT lettered, Firestarter S/L (I mean this was his 1st ever!) and I also think believe it or not.. the Stand is such a nice book it should be more too.... There are others but they pop into my head.

RC65
09-22-2014, 06:28 AM

Do tell.

I think the IT lettered, Firestarter S/L (I mean this was his 1st ever!) and I also think believe it or not.. the Stand is such a nice book it should be more too.... There are others but they pop into my head.

How are these examples undervalued, though? Each would cost a fortune to acquire.

stroppygoblin
09-22-2014, 06:51 AM

Do tell.

How are these examples undervalued, though? Each would cost a fortune to acquire.

Because they have not risen in price as much as he told his wife they would when he bought them... :evil:

webstar1000
09-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Do tell.

I mean in relation to what I feel they should be worth. Because of production value or the fact that (Firestarter) was the first. Undervalue has nothing to do with what it cost (now) to buy them but rather what do I (or someone) else feel they are truly worth.

EXPLORER
09-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Authentic, dated, signed (even if inscribed, to "Joe") 1st editions of King's earlier (let's just say pre-1985~ish) books need to be on the radar.
The supply will only diminish.

I'm not suggesting to buy this book, but here is an example of books to consider. Check the details.

Per the Catalog:
Copyright page states: “FIRST EDITION.” Gutter code Y38 on page on page 374

First state dustjackets incorrectly stated 1982 as the year of publication of Tabitha King's "Caretakers". Later dustjackets correctly stated 1983
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-PET-SEMATARY-Signed-1st-Edition-Doubleday-1983-Near-Fine-dj-HC-/321528308387?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item4adc94a2a3

This type of information always reminds me that there is so much to learn and know when collecting Kings books, etc.
This post/comment made me go look at the signed 1st Edition copies I had on shelf of Pet Sematary.
One had the 1983 date.
Two of them had the 1982 date, (one was priced clipped).
I am unaware if I paid attention to that when acquiring.

Fortunately there are also some unsigned copies with the early cover.

AGAIN: All the more reason to follow this site and take in the information shared in these threads & forums. It often reminds of of things easily forgotten.

jhanic
09-22-2014, 11:18 AM
I think that one possible reason the s/l Stand is priced where it is, is that there were 1250 copies done, thus a relatively large number are out there.

John

webstar1000
09-22-2014, 11:28 AM
I think that one possible reason the s/l Stand is priced where it is, is that there were 1250 copies done, thus a relatively large number are out there.

John

well said