PDA

View Full Version : Horror films

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Ricky
02-20-2019, 12:34 PM
It's been on my list since it was recommended to me over the summer, but I haven't gotten inspired to watch it yet.

fernandito
02-20-2019, 01:41 PM
It's a well made film, just don't go in expecting an outright horror film. It's more like a mystery with horror elements, if that makes sense.

Heather19
02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Sounds interesting. Just added it to my list.

dnemec
02-20-2019, 06:40 PM
It's been on my list too. Guess I need to get to watching it!

mae
02-26-2019, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhh5HdSCUWw

Still Servant
03-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Watched the Korean film The Wailing last night. A tad too long and occasionally too all over the place tone wise, but those moments of dread throughout really stick with you and those final 20 minutes are magisterial.

Have you seen Train to Busan yet?

I had no interest in Happy Death Day when it was released a few years back, but people kept telling me it was fun and enjoyable in the same sense as the Final Destination series, which has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I caught the original film On Demand recently and I agree, it's a very fun film. I think the Groundhog Day-like plot mechanic works perfectly for a horror film (more on that in a second) and the film is carried by Blake Lively clone Jessica Rothe. Since I enjoyed the first film so much, I thought I'd give the second film a shot in theaters and I'm glad I did. It's not as good as the first film and becomes somewhat convoluted, but it also has a lot more heart than the first film, which caught me off guard. I honestly would love to see a few more of these, but I'm not sure if I would be quite as interested if Jessica Rothe isn't the lead character.

Anyway, my question is - Do you consider Happy Death Day a horror film? I know that's how both films have been marketed, but I would argue there is just as much comedy as horror in both films.

RichardX
03-08-2019, 06:12 AM
I'm not usually a fan of the "found footage" genre but I really enjoyed "Char Man" playing on Amazon Prime. Some guys making a documentary stumble on the legend. A bit Paranormal Activity meets The Strangers. Lots of humor and the amateur quality of the film gives it an element of believability and dread. Much better than I expected.

allasorte
05-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Pet Sematary. Wasn't memorable. Nothing truly worth mentioning. I especially didn't like the last sequence that strayed from the book. A disappointment to me. 4/10

Kingfan24
05-09-2019, 05:01 PM
I'm not usually a fan of the "found footage" genre but I really enjoyed "Char Man" playing on Amazon Prime. Some guys making a documentary stumble on the legend. A bit Paranormal Activity meets The Strangers. Lots of humor and the amateur quality of the film gives it an element of believability and dread. Much better than I expected.

I thought it was just okay. The douchey guy with the hat and beard made it nearly unwatchable for me.

ratchet41
05-09-2019, 07:24 PM
i do want to see the new Pet Sematary film but not as much as i used to, i know how it ends though and i really detest that ending since it strayed so far from King's work and not just that but what he was trying to say when he write that book and why he wrote it too

Heather19
05-10-2019, 04:32 AM
Yes, that was my main issue with the new movie. They completely missed the message that King was saying with the book and turned it into a generic horror film. Maybe if you go in that way, you'll appreciate it a bit?

ratchet41
05-10-2019, 07:05 PM
exactly. that has been done to death in horror films i think too, why for fuck's sake can't these people who remake his films these days actually follow the book? it doesn't have to be word for word at all that's not what i'm saying, but they changed the ending to IT and for some shit that's fine but the important shit they made up. Pet Sematary is another example too..

Garrell
05-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Just watched the Nun. Predictable and nothing great

allasorte
05-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Just watched the Nun. Predictable and nothing great

I didn't like it either. I loved the dark overtones and the atmosphere. I loved the old country area feel. The acting was bad, and the nun always screaming was just so stupid. It made money though so I am sure we will get probably like 8 more spinoffs and sequels. So yeah!?

Garrell
05-11-2019, 09:16 AM
I agree on that I did love the old Romania horror movie and creepy castle feel. They just relied on jump scares for everything and little story, a story that has been done so many times.

ratchet41
05-11-2019, 09:16 PM
there are some newer horror films i give you that but i love i think 60's and 70's horror best, they seemed to have the best writing depending of the film and if it's a gore film they actually were creative on what they did with their film even if the film was shit and the FX weren't always good. they tried and you can't say that with a lot of horror movies today since they rely more on CGI and jump scares. they think that what makes a horror film is to have a shit ton of jump scare and that's not it at all. i don't mind if it had 2 or 3 if they are spread out and earned but it's just a waste of money and talent if there is any there to have them all like that. horror movies don't have to be gory either or have tons of nudity if the film has a good script sometimes doing the what is in your mind can be more scary than is actually shown can work sometimes if it's done well that is

Heather19
05-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Oh I completely agree. I hate jump scares. I don't mind a handful in a film if it suits the scene, but when a horror film only relies on jump scares, I'm not a fan. It has no lasting effect, and isn't really horror in my opinion.

Hereditary is a good example of a well done effective recent horror film. It doesn't have lots of jump scares, gore, or nudity, yet it seriously terrified me. Compare that to say the recent Pet Semetary which didn't scare me in the least and was very forgettable. Goes to show that good storyline and filming techniques can make for a far scarier film.

ratchet41
05-12-2019, 12:13 PM
i've been watching season 1 of "The Twilight Zone' and it's the Original show by the way and though it's been awhile since i last watched any episode until recently, some of those episodes have given me nightmares in fact and i'm 40. those are so well lit and filmed and written. well some of them suck ass but than you don't expect all #156 episodes to be masterpieces do you? some of those episodes should be watched by horror makers today and take lessons i think. hell the friday the 13th

films from the 80's had jump scares but really not that many per film. yet it still works if you 've never seen them before, shit there are certain episodes of Supernatural the tv show that gave me nightmares and scared the shit out of me, nothing they've done recently but the early years though. i've given this example there is an old film called Rasputin and the Emperess from (1932) and it's based off a true story. though some it i'm sure liberties were taken of course, it's not a horror film at all, but it's got all 3 of the Barrymore sibling's in it and Lionel is the heavy in it. anyways, there is a scene and this part happened in real life where the family gets taken into the basement and tortured and killed however you don't see it you hear it and you see shadow of what could be happening, you mind pictures the worst things happening and it's a truly scary ass scene.

and it works because of that i mean they couldn't show it in (1932) anyways but if they could not seeing it is i think more terrifying than seeing it when it comes to some films. though Jaws never really scared me i don't think as i wasn't around when the 1st film came out In (1975) and that film is itself yes a classic but highly overrated i think.

a lot of the reason that film works is because you don't see it coming and it relies on the camera doing the work rather than it showing it. and it i think works better that way than if it had been shown

allasorte
05-27-2019, 06:11 AM
Greta: More a thriller then horror. The acting wasn't bad, I felt it was very slow moving, but I did like the ending. 6/10.

Assimilate: Kind of like "The Faculty" and the main saviors are some kids which makes them comparable in both regards. I didn't mind it that much, but I love that type of living where it is a small town and this type if scenery is amazing to me. Overall not a bad movie. 6/10.

Us: I am going to be one of the few that wasn't in love with this movie. I really enjoyed the beginning and for me the father was my favorite character. I felt the movie went down hill when there were more "families or people" involved. I did like the ending. 6/10.

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Nothing official yet, but "sources say" that a few months from now ("after Labor Day"), they will begin shooting the sequel to last year's Halloween movie:

http://collider.com/halloween-2-release-date-jamie-lee-curtis/#david-gordon-green

kingfan2323
07-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Nothing official yet, but "sources say" that a few months from now ("after Labor Day"), they will begin shooting the sequel to last year's Halloween movie:

http://collider.com/halloween-2-release-date-jamie-lee-curtis/#david-gordon-greenHopefully Gordon Green and McBride are back. If so, it should be good.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 08:20 AM
GG is said to be but I don't know about McBride (would be strange to have one but not both).

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Also a new Paranormal Activity movie on the way:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/paranormal-activity-movie-new-paramount-jason-blum-quiet-place-2-production-start-cineeurope-1202634760/

I think some are sick of these, but I'm definitely not.

Iwritecode
07-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Also a new Paranormal Activity movie on the way:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/paranormal-activity-movie-new-paramount-jason-blum-quiet-place-2-production-start-cineeurope-1202634760/

I think some are sick of these, but I'm definitely not.

I watched I think the first 2 movies and I remember not being able to tell them apart because they were basically the same movie. I spent the entire time waiting for something to happen and then in the last 5 minutes something did happen, then it was over.

I gave up on them after that.

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Saw ANNABELLE GOES HOME today. By the time the 'horrors' started I was so bored I wanted to go home too.

St. Troy
07-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Only a rumor, but an interesting one:

‘Halloween’ Rumor: David Gordon Green Returning to Direct Back-to-Back Sequels

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3571159/halloween-rumor-david-gordon-green-returning-direct-back-back-sequels/

The bit about simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release sounds particularly hard to believe, but...I suppose we'll see.

Kongo
07-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I'll take more Halloween for sure, especially if it's like the last one. I'm very curious how they're going to explain the ending though if these movies are a continuation. There's a lot of different directions they could go

mae
07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozgjEQh-ak

mae
07-19-2019, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiaOXSV9V9I

Mattrick
07-28-2019, 07:11 PM
I know others here love In The Mouth of Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6VNAcd1Dgs

LizzyDeschain
07-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Just watched Us the other night - it was OK. There was potential for a good movie and the twist at the very last minute was both expected and unexpected, there just wasn't as much story to the idea as there should have been.

Ricky
07-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Us is next on my list. I'm not really sure what to expect, but trying to keep my expectations low.

Was in the mood for some more Chucky after seeing the Child's Play remake a few weeks back so I watched Curse of Chucky last night. Way, way better than it had any right to be, especially after the long period since Seed of Chucky. Tone is back to being serious, pacing and directing is tight and focused, and some new layers added to the backstory/mythology of the series. Plus some welcome cameos that I won't spoil. Looking forward to Cult of Chucky next.

allasorte
09-22-2019, 09:05 AM
Saw ANNABELLE GOES HOME today. By the time the 'horrors' started I was so bored I wanted to go home too.

The acting wasn't bad, but yes, kind of boring.

allasorte
09-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Haunt 2019. Group of high schoolers, I think, go to a haunted house and it's rated R so....
Better then I thought it would be. Not amazing by any means but a descent movie of the horror genre that no one talks about.

kingfan2323
09-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Brightburn is good stuff. Check ot out.

Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

allasorte
09-22-2019, 09:29 AM

It wasn't bad, but I felt if you saw the trailer you saw pretty much the whole movie. It could have been so much better.

Ricky
09-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Haunt 2019. Group of high schoolers, I think, go to a haunted house and it's rated R so....
Better then I thought it would be. Not amazing by any means but a descent movie of the horror genre that no one talks about.

Is it on Netflix?

allasorte
09-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Is it on Netflix?

I think on Shudder. I always do a recent horror movies search, my favorite genre, and it popped up. I'm one of the "download" people so I found it that way but could have sworn it was on the Shudder channel.

allasorte
09-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Anyone see The Dead Don't Die? dark zombie comedy with Bill Murray. I'd watch tonight but the Browns are on.

Ricky
09-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Is it on Netflix?

I think on Shudder. I always do a recent horror movies search, my favorite genre, and it popped up. I'm one of the "download" people so I found it that way but could have sworn it was on the Shudder channel.

Ah, rats. I don't have Shudder. I had heard about it but was hoping it was Netflixable.

kingfan2323
09-22-2019, 04:10 PM

It wasn't bad, but I felt if you saw the trailer you saw pretty much the whole movie. It could have been so much better.Awww. . . The advantage of not watching any trailers.

allasorte
09-22-2019, 04:39 PM
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-horror-movies-2019

Haunt is in theaters and VOD. Not sure where the "video on demand" would be.

Ricky
09-23-2019, 04:12 AM
Thanks! I saw that it got a limited theatrical release, but I don't think anywhere near me. I'll try On Demand and see if it's there.

EDIT: Found it On Demand! $5.99. :)

mattgreenbean
09-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Anyone see The Dead Don't Die? dark zombie comedy with Bill Murray. I'd watch tonight but the Browns are on.

I just watched it this weekend. If you like Jim Jarmusch movies, you'll like it. Music, dialogue, and some nice cinematography. At a walking pace.
He did here what he did for vampires in Only Lovers Left Alive.

fernandito
09-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Have you guys heard of this one, The Dead Center? Out on Oct. 11

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dead_center

ratchet41
09-23-2019, 03:57 PM
and sadly Sid Haig Died on Saturday and looking it up apparently it was from a Lung Infection he was 80

Heather19
09-24-2019, 06:28 AM
So sad, he definitely became a horror icon with his Captain Spaulding character. I just saw Three From Hell last week. Really enjoyed it. Wish he could have been in it more, but glad he was able to at least make an appearance.

Tommy
09-24-2019, 06:55 AM
I met him twice at signing events and he was a nut. Very fun to be around. Sad to see him go but he left us much entertainment!

ratchet41
09-24-2019, 12:03 PM
yes he did he did a lot of shit but a lot of good films too and i think he'd agree with me on that i'm guessing

allasorte
09-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Child's Play 2019. I'll be honest, I felt it was the best one of them all, not that I was a huge fan of the series of movies. I liked this idea of how the doll became "possessed" much better. I actually enjoyed it. 7/19.
Midsommer. Overall I enjoyed it. It had solid acting and scenery, but I have seen enough cult movies to know where this one was going and it was no different. I also felt the movie was way too long. 6/10.
Crawl. I'm sorry but the chances of having a horde of alligators all over the place, that size, is unrealistic. I simply didn't like it. 3/10.

Ricky
09-29-2019, 12:24 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by the new Child's Play also. I really enjoyed it. Then I went back and finally watched Curse of Chucky. It was so much better than it had any right to be. Lean, mean, and really, really good.

I liked Crawl more than you, though I felt the same thing about all the alligators. Going in, I thought it would just be one. Having many of them upped the stakes, but it also seemed a bit of a stretch, too.

allasorte
09-29-2019, 12:30 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by the new Child's Play also. I really enjoyed it. Then I went back and finally watched Curse of Chucky. It was so much better than it had any right to be. Lean, mean, and really, really good.

I liked Crawl more than you, though I felt the same thing about all the alligators. Going in, I thought it would just be one. Having many of them upped the stakes, but it also seemed a bit of a stretch, too.

I thought Crawl would have been one, then maybe two like Lake Placid, not a horde of giants.

Kongo
09-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Curse and Cult of Chucky get a lot of flack for being "direct to video", but they're some of the stronger entries in the franchise imo. I'm curious to see what direction the show goes. Luckily the creator is attached

Ricky
09-29-2019, 02:37 PM
I haven't seen Cult of Chucky yet but I'm looking forward to it, especially since it continues Nica's story

allasorte
10-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Wounds on Hulu. I enjoyed the characters and the story. About a bartender that gets a hold of a girl's cellphone after a bar fight and odd things start to happen. However, I disliked the ending and that drops the movie for me. 6/10

allasorte
11-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Ready or Not. Off the top of my head it is reminiscent of several resent moves where you have a "guests" or new people around and there is a murderous intent. The actors were unique and not all similar. The acting was well done, and it was an amusement throughout the film. 7/10

allasorte
12-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Doctor Sleep. I never understood why the The Shining needed a sequel and I had no interest in reading the book. Unluckily I watched the movie. It was a complete bore for 1.5 hours of it. I actually fell asleep and ironically the movie title was perfect for what I needed; sleep. After the 1.5 hours of nothing truly happening, the story picked up. This is when it got a tad entertaining. I will say going back to the Overlook Hotel was pretty neat, but it didn't save this unmemorable movie. 3/10 or 2/5.

divemaster
12-12-2019, 06:43 AM
I saw The Conjuring last week. I really liked it a lot. I appreciated the almost documentary approach, and that the couple enlisted to help were seen as religious (or at least spiritual) and sincere about it. The movie did not portray them as wackos. And, in the end, the family was freed from the demonic bondage. No last-minute scene of the youngest daughter with glowing eyes or whatever.

4.5 stars

I might make an effort to watch further movies in this series.

Ricky
12-12-2019, 03:35 PM
I liked The Conjuring 2 WAY better than I liked the first. The first was a little cliched and familiar for me, but Vera and Patrick as Ed and Lorraine completely make the movie(s).

Heather19
12-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Interesting. I really loved the first movie, but for some reason I couldn't get into the second one. Maybe I should give it another shot sometime. I do agree that Vera and Patrick are great in those roles though. Just saw that the third one will be released next fall.

allasorte
12-12-2019, 05:14 PM
I liked The Conjuring 2 WAY better than I liked the first. The first was a little cliched and familiar for me, but Vera and Patrick as Ed and Lorraine completely make the movie(s).

I loved one a tad more then two. I'm waiting for part three :).

mae
01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V35W6olE-PE

Kongo
01-14-2020, 02:29 PM

I loved one a tad more then two. I'm waiting for part three :).

How do you feel about the supposed inclusion of werewolves?

Funny enough, they've been wanting to do it for a couple years now

allasorte
01-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Countdown
Had Elizabeth Lail from "You" as the star. About an app you download that shows the time of when you will die. Not bad, not great, but a descent watch. 3/5

allasorte
04-10-2020, 02:41 PM
The Turning
A very boring and dull time piece with predictable jump scares and no likable characters. I am disappointed I saw this. 2/5

Merlin1958
04-10-2020, 02:49 PM
If you like the old TV Mini-series of The Shining, IT and Salem's Lot Amazon has a deal for all 3 in 1 DVD for $14.99 here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QE9Z8A/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_bia_widget_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1/

Jean
04-10-2020, 11:05 PM
don't remember if I already said it, but anyway: I found Midsommar totally awesome and have by now watched it three times. I think it will make my top 30 horror films

Tommy
04-11-2020, 08:13 AM
don't remember if I already said it, but anyway: I found Midsommar totally awesome and have by now watched it three times. I think it will make my top 30 horror films

What did you think of Hereditary, Jean?

fernandito
04-13-2020, 08:00 AM

Midsommar was my favorite film of 2019, glad you liked it brother bear!

Cook
04-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Midsommar was my favorite film of 2019, glad you liked it brother bear!

Midsommar was interesting but so, so very disturbing..

Tommy
04-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Before everything got cancelled, I went to a Horror Convention and a girl was walking around in the flower dress from the end of the movie. It was so funny. :lol:

Jean
04-18-2020, 12:00 AM
Midsommar was interesting but so, so very disturbing..yep, that's the whole point!

What did you think of Hereditary, Jean?I was engrossed and loved every minute of it till (approximately) last one-fifth (sixth?) started, when everything rapidly deteriorated and slipped into average. That's why my first review here was along the lines of "...was underwhelmed", which surprised Heather :rose: Thus, I watched it again (because Heather :rose: just can't be wrong about movies), and my first opinion was confirmed: it was awesome, original, creepy and immensely entertaining before the denouement started unrolling.

kingfan2323
04-18-2020, 01:51 AM
Saw this in the PS Publishing latest newsletter. Thought it may be of interest here. Top Ten Monster Books and Movies by author Paul Kane:

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/blog/2020/04/17/paul-kanes-top-ten-monster-books-and-movies/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ps_publishing_weekly_newsletter&utm_term=2020-04-17

seeking: anything DT related #246

Heather19
04-18-2020, 11:18 AM
So glad you gave it another chance Jean :couple: I do agree about the ending not being strong, but the rest of the film was pure tension and insanely creepy. I wish more horror films these days would take a cue from this one and Haunting of Hill House on how to make a truely terrifying haunting film.

Jean
04-19-2020, 02:02 AM
So glad you gave it another chance Jean :couple: I do agree about the ending not being strong, but the rest of the film was pure tension and insanely creepy. I wish more horror films these days would take a cue from this one and Haunting of Hill House on how to make a truely terrifying haunting film.
yes, you see - you've already helped me at least twice. Hereditary was an example of how bears foolishly let a part eclipse the whole; on re-watch I was able to at last enjoy the tremendously awesome body of the film already knowing that the ending would be a letdown and not giving a damn. Another example is, of course, In the Mouth of Madness, where I just can't understand, let alone define, what happened to my perception on the first viewing. The film is a) flawless, b) screamingly original c) fully entertaining d) scary e) beautifully shot. And in my top - probably 10 (don't know, haven't revised my horrors for some time; should do)

Heather19
04-19-2020, 04:36 AM
I love In the Mouth of Madness, I really need to watch it again soon, it's been forever. Isn't it interesting how rewatches can change ones view on a film. You can begin to pick up more subtle things in the filming or story. There's probably a few films I should do this for as well.

Jean
04-19-2020, 04:53 AM
give me a whistle when you're ready to re-watch it, we'll do it together :rose:

Cook
04-19-2020, 07:59 AM
Midsommar was interesting but so, so very disturbing..

yep, that's the whole point!

Oh I totally agree, that's why they call it Horror.. :ghost_002:

St. Troy
04-20-2020, 11:17 AM
...In the Mouth of Madness...is a) flawless, b) screamingly original c) fully entertaining d) scary e) beautifully shot.

+1. Great film.

allasorte
05-04-2020, 06:20 PM
The Lodge
It was human, horrific at times, real, and dark. I wasn't sure what to expect and it was definitely worth my time. I felt it was mildly crossed over from Hereditary and Midsummer and it felt like someone involved in these two movies had a hand in this. It was a good surprise for me. It wasn't a true horror movie, and I don't want to give much away, but it had horror aspects and dread within the film. I really liked it a lot. 3.5/5

kingfan2323
05-04-2020, 06:40 PM
The Lodge
It was human, horrific at times, real, and dark. I wasn't sure what to expect and it was definitely worth my time. I felt it was mildly crossed over from Hereditary and Midsummer and it felt like someone involved in these two movies had a hand in this. It was a good surprise for me. It wasn't a true horror movie, and I don't want to give much away, but it had horror aspects and dread within the film. I really liked it a lot. 3.5/5Excited for this one. Thanks for your thoughts.

kingfan2323
05-04-2020, 06:40 PM
...In the Mouth of Madness...is a) flawless, b) screamingly original c) fully entertaining d) scary e) beautifully shot.

+1. Great film.+1

Ricky
05-05-2020, 05:47 AM
The Lodge
It was human, horrific at times, real, and dark. I wasn't sure what to expect and it was definitely worth my time. I felt it was mildly crossed over from Hereditary and Midsummer and it felt like someone involved in these two movies had a hand in this. It was a good surprise for me. It wasn't a true horror movie, and I don't want to give much away, but it had horror aspects and dread within the film. I really liked it a lot. 3.5/5

I've been looking forward to The Lodge for over a year now. It never came to a theater near me, I don't think. The DVD's out today, so I think it'll be one of the next ones Netflix sends me.

I watched the new Pet Sematary last night. It wasn't terrible at all like I'd heard from some people. I liked the pacing, the acting, the score, and some other things, but what it was missing for me was a real sense of dread and the emotional weight of the things that happen to Louis and Rachel (actually, Rachel was way more developed and interesting than Louis here, I thought). I don't know what they were thinking of with that ending, though. Jesus. The alternate ending was much better.

It's funny because if this had been an original film that wasn't based on a book or a previous version, or if this had been the first time I was introduced to the story, this might've been one of my favorite movies.

allasorte
05-05-2020, 04:16 PM
I was one that wasn't a fan of the new Pet Semetery. I liked to original actors better, but I did like the little girl and her acting in the remake better. It is what it is.
I saw a trailer for "The Wretched." I can't tell if it is a low budget mess, but it looks like it has promise? I will watch it sometime hopefully this week.

allasorte
05-05-2020, 04:18 PM

+1. Great film.

Forgive me on spelling but Suter Kane was always a name I wanted if I was a writer. It just sounds like a guy that is a horror writer and has boundary issues. And yes, this was always a damn good film.

allasorte
05-10-2020, 04:04 PM
The Wretched
Not as bad as I thought it would be and not great either. Not a bad film about some kind of creature that is like a witch that possesses a woman with a child, eats the child and then the family forgets the child ever existed. 2.5/5?

allasorte
05-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Gretel and Hansel
I heard many didn't like it. It was a bit slow, but the acting to me was great. The cinematography was absolutely stunning. It was shot so much better then VVitch in my opinion. I liked this adaptation, I liked the story, I liked how everything tied together. Sophia Lillis and Alice Krige were fantastic. I really really really liked this movie. 8/10.

allasorte
06-19-2020, 03:22 PM
Z 2019
Story about a couple being harassed by their son's imaginary friend. Not great, but also not a hot mess either. You can tell if the movie had money spent on it by the production of the film and the acting. This one had some money in it, so it would seem. The straight forward plot had a bit more to the story which was interesting. It had it's jump scares like most movies these days, but it was intriguing and a surprise to me. The odd thing to me was the psychiatrist, he looked like a zombie. I liked it. 3/5.

allasorte
06-19-2020, 04:46 PM
You Should Have Left
Apparently Kevin Bacon is alive, but you never would have known it with how dead this movie was. He is married, has a daughter, they go to a house, and he sees things. A lot of house type scenario movies out there recently. Awful. 1/5

I saw a preview for "The Rental" which is about people renting a house on an island I think? Looks meh but who knows.

Ricky
06-20-2020, 05:51 AM
I saw the trailer for You Should Have Left and it didn't really make me want to watch the movie. It looked pretty generic.

allasorte
06-20-2020, 06:53 AM
I saw the trailer for You Should Have Left and it didn't really make me want to watch the movie. It looked pretty generic.

Yes it as. I lost interest and decided to start re-watching the real Penny Dreadful :)

Ricky
06-20-2020, 08:15 AM
I was thinking I might do the same! Good thinking. :)

allasorte
06-20-2020, 08:33 AM
I was thinking I might do the same! Good thinking. :)

I feel it is sad when I would like to relax, veg down, and want to get away from it all that I have to resort to something that I previously loved to view. I mean, it would be refreshing to want to watch something horror and find something new instead of re-watch something I know is great to me. I heard a new show on Netflix, Curron?, is supposed to be pretty good. It is subtitled I heard so you would have to definitely pay attention. Netflix's Dark comes to mind and though I am not a huge subtitle fan, Dark was really entertaining to watch. One more final season from what I read and it is coming soon. Yes these are horror based shows and not movies, but I just wanted to throw those out there.

Ricky
06-20-2020, 11:47 AM
Dark is amazing. I haven't seen season 2 yet, but I know season 3 is coming out soon.

I know what you mean about new horror content vs. re-watching old stuff you enjoyed. I can't remember the last time I saw a really good horror film or TV show. The Grudge and Fantasy Island this year were duds. So was The Turning. The new season of NOS4A2 is starting tomorrow, but I don't really consider that horror. More of a dark suspense thriller.

I've been watching Bloodride on Netflix. It's a Norwegian horror anthology (eps. are ~30 minutes, give or take) and there's only six so far. Kind of Twilight Zone-y. Nothing spectacular, but something light and quick when you want to scratch that horror craving.

allasorte
07-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Dark Season 3
I kind of get tired of all the jumping to different time periods, but for the third season, it jumps to different worlds too. Yawn. I will say it ended very well and it was unexpected to see that. Overall I really liked the show. I would consider it a more dark thriller then horror though.

allasorte
07-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Body Cam 2020
A cop gets killed by an unseen force and the main character, a cop, tries to figure out the death of her friend. It was OK. I wasn't impressed with this one 2/5.

Heather19
07-06-2020, 04:20 AM
Watched The Lodge recently. I enjoyed it, although it wasn't anything like what I was expecting.

Ricky
07-06-2020, 08:32 AM
Me either! And in the end, I really couldn't sympathize with the kids! They took prank to a whole new, awful level. :o

fernandito
07-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Watched it this weekend too. it was decent, I thought. Although I saw the twist coming from a mile away.

Heather19
07-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Me either! And in the end, I really couldn't sympathize with the kids! They took prank to a whole new, awful level. :o

Yeah, it was definitely crazy.

fernandito
07-06-2020, 12:42 PM
it makes perfect sense why they did though if you think about it.

Jean
07-12-2020, 01:03 AM
I watched the Lodge too, it was mildly entertaining, but now that I was reading the posts here, i had to go back to imdb to remind myself what it was about. Better than about 70 percent of horrors I've recently watched, but still not good enough.

allasorte
07-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Relic 2020.
The acting was really good, and the story wasn't bad. The less you know the better. The Lodge was better imo. 3/5

DoctorZaius
07-12-2020, 03:28 PM
So mad that Halloween Kills is now moved to October 2021 - damn Covid-19 strikes again.

Ricky
07-13-2020, 08:37 AM
I know, me too. But if that means that (maybe, hopefully) we'll be able to see it as a theatrical experience rather than VOD, then I'm willing to accept it.

allasorte
07-25-2020, 06:40 AM
A buddy tells me the entertainment world is looking for low budget or lower budget horror scripts set in a small setting. If you think about it, you see several recent movies like this. The Lodge, Relic, Rental, Amulet, off the top of my head.
Just something to mull over.

Amulet
I was looking forward to this. I seem to be a sucker for movies with great scenery. I miss these types of real trees. Living way down south in the US, I hate the vegetation. Anyway, a homeless guy moves into a house with this woman who is taking care of her mother. Horror I guess, but not really to me. Overall I didn't like the acting or story. It felt too much like Relic which was much better. 2/5.

Rental
Another I really wanted to see. Two couples rent a giant home and something happens, and well, I can't spoil it. Repetitive like most movies like this. However, the actors worked great together and their lives intertwine to make the story feel entertaining and interesting. I liked the characters and their dialogue as they all fit well within their chemistry. I liked the Lodge better with that storyline, but I liked The Rental because of the 4 main characters. 3/5.

Still Servant
07-25-2020, 08:19 AM
A buddy tells me the entertainment world is looking for low budget or lower budget horror scripts set in a small setting. If you think about it, you see several recent movies like this. The Lodge, Relic, Rental, Amulet, off the top of my head.
Just something to mull over.

Amulet
I was looking forward to this. I seem to be a sucker for movies with great scenery. I miss these types of real trees. Living way down south in the US, I hate the vegetation. Anyway, a homeless guy moves into a house with this woman who is taking care of her mother. Horror I guess, but not really to me. Overall I didn't like the acting or story. It felt too much like Relic which was much better. 2/5.

Rental
Another I really wanted to see. Two couples rent a giant home and something happens, and well, I can't spoil it. Repetitive like most movies like this. However, the actors worked great together and their lives intertwine to make the story feel entertaining and interesting. I liked the characters and their dialogue as they all fit well within their chemistry. I liked the Lodge better with that storyline, but I liked The Rental because of the 4 main characters. 3/5.

Blumhouse does it best. The Invisible Man was made for 7 million bucks. That's what studios are looking for. It made over 130 million. And that's with Corona cutting into its legs.

allasorte
07-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Blumhouse definitely does it best. I love the Invisible Man. However, I wish the ending would have been open ended with a darker undertone.
We know the brothers were working together. It doesn't make sense for the one brother to be in the house, dead, and the other tied up in the basement when the one in the basement was at the hospital beating and tormenting the guards and sharing one suit. It makes more sense there were two. But the girlfriend got a hold of a suit. Three suits? And throw in she hid the suit upon her visit and the dog knew someone was in the house. How did no one see her take the suit especially with cameras everywhere????? Either way I would have liked the ending dinner scene to be the two of them, she gets up to get the suit, and it is gone. She panics and runs throughout the house, tries to leave and the front door slams shut. The end. This way, there could be a bunch of unknowns and perhaps more movies because it was done so well. My take on this.

Still Servant
07-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Blumhouse definitely does it best. I love the Invisible Man. However, I wish the ending would have been open ended with a darker undertone.
We know the brothers were working together. It doesn't make sense for the one brother to be in the house, dead, and the other tied up in the basement when the one in the basement was at the hospital beating and tormenting the guards and sharing one suit. It makes more sense there were two. But the girlfriend got a hold of a suit. Three suits? And throw in she hid the suit upon her visit and the dog knew someone was in the house. How did no one see her take the suit especially with cameras everywhere????? Either way I would have liked the ending dinner scene to be the two of them, she gets up to get the suit, and it is gone. She panics and runs throughout the house, tries to leave and the front door slams shut. The end. This way, there could be a bunch of unknowns and perhaps more movies because it was done so well. My take on this.

Nah, the ending was perfect. When she whispered surprise my theater cheered.

I don't think it's crazy to think there were 3 suits. He was working on prototypes, so it makes sense he would have a few. I do believe both brothers were in the house together at the same time at the end. Sydney hits IM#1 with the pepper spray. She then flees her bedroom and gets clotheslined in the hallway. There's no way IM#1 would be able to compose himself from the pepper spray hit and then somehow get in front of her. There had to be another person in a suit.

allasorte
07-25-2020, 03:11 PM

I don't think it's crazy to think there were 3 suits. He was working on prototypes, so it makes sense he would have a few. I do believe both brothers were in the house together at the same time at the end. Sydney hits IM#1 with the pepper spray. She then flees her bedroom and gets clotheslined in the hallway. There's no way IM#1 would be able to compose himself from the pepper spray hit and then somehow get in front of her. There had to be another person in a suit.

I can live with your assessment. But I still wanted a darker ending :)

allasorte
08-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Sputnik
A horror movie, Russian subtitled, where astronauts crash and the only survivor has an alien inside him. Overall I really enjoyed this movie. The story kept me interested especially as to where it was going and to what end there was for the astronaut who was oblivious to what had happened to him. The acting was good, the special effects were solid, and it was a solid horror alien film. It's no Alien or The Thing, but it was a good movie IMO. I would definitely watch it again. 7/10

allasorte
08-22-2020, 12:35 PM

I can live with your assessment. But I still wanted a darker ending :)

I thought of something. If there were really "3 suits" how did he not know one was missing?

allasorte
10-04-2020, 02:09 PM
Death of Me. Maggie Q seems to never age and is stunning in this movie. Anyway, the movie was OK. Not a world better but something new to watch, though I didn't feel it was a horror movie but more of a thriller. 3/5 or 5/10. I see people sometimes post different types of ratings so I get confused :shrug:

Ricky
10-04-2020, 05:52 PM
I saw the trailer and it reminded me of that film from a view years ago, Devil's Due (which I didn't like at all). Is this one found footage also?

allasorte
10-05-2020, 11:48 AM
I saw the trailer and it reminded me of that film from a view years ago, Devil's Due (which I didn't like at all). Is this one found footage also?

No. They play some footage on their phone, but not much.

Ricky
10-05-2020, 01:59 PM
Well, I guess it has that going for it at least. Haha. I have it on my to-watch list but will probably wait to see it when it's free.

allasorte
10-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Books of Blood
AS the movie dragged on I felt I wasn't sure what I was watching and why I was watching it. It felt sort of like an anthology movie. I lost interest in this one rather quickly and highly recommend not seeing it. 1/5 or 3/10

The Wolf of Snow Hollow
The acting wasn't bad, the special effects weren't bad, and I do love fall and cold type sceneries. However, not much to really speak of this one. Not horrible, not really good either. 2/5 or 4/10

allasorte
11-22-2020, 03:00 PM
Run
Sarah Paulson stars in this. She has a daughter who is sick and she takes care of her and the daughter suspects fowl play. Anyway, the acting is very good. That's it. The story is meh and this is not a horror movie at all. It's a thriller, not a horror movie. There are certain circumstances the daughter goes through that were beyond unbelievable, or more then likely not able to transpire. 2/5

allasorte
11-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Come Play
I really wanted to see this one. It reminded me of the Babadook where there is a kid's book intertwined in the movie about a monster. Though I wasn't a fan of the mother's son in the Babadook, I did re-watch it. I liked the movie, but didn't love it because of the son and the low budget special effects. Come Play I really enjoyed. I didn't hate the kids in it lol. I liked the atmosphere, where the story went, how it progressed, the special effects, and the ending. 4/5

Ricky
11-23-2020, 10:56 AM
I've been looking forward to Come Play. Looking forward to seeing it soon.

allasorte
12-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Freaky
Vince Vaughn is a killer and swaps bodies with a cute high school girl and she, now he, has 24 hours to swap bodies back. Absolute garbage! 1/5 or 1/10

allasorte
12-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Host 2020
An hour long. Several girl friends do a video chat and call on a spirit. The did the ritual wrong and called onto an evil one. It was all shot and seen on their computers. Not bad for what it was. 2/5

What Lies Below
Daughter comes home to a bit of a run down home, but it is on a beautiful lake, and meets her mother's gorgeous boyfriend. More then meets the eye and something is amiss with him. It is a supernatural type movie. Acting wasn't bad, the ending was a bit of a surprise to me, and overall it was OK but not memorable. 2/5

Tommy
12-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Try Anything for Jackson

allasorte
12-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Try Anything for Jackson

I watched it thank you. Story wasn't bad, the acting I felt was pretty bad, and the ending was off for me. I appreciate it, but it wasn't good to me. Don't be mad at me :).

Tommy
12-11-2020, 08:32 AM
K, Try Hell House LLC

allasorte
12-11-2020, 10:19 AM
K, Try Hell House LLC

It looks like a trilogy. I will check them out, thanks!

allasorte
12-11-2020, 03:42 PM
K, Try Hell House LLC

It looks like a trilogy. I will check them out, thanks!

I did see the first one. Working on the second. Though I am not a big found footage movie fan, this movie wasn't too bad. However, The House October Built, there are two, I feel are better acted.

allasorte
12-26-2020, 02:50 PM
The Empty Man
I thoroughly enjoyed the opening sequence and was hoping this would be a decent film. I was wrong. What started off as a pretty interesting supernatural horror movie, eventually ended up being a detective story that jumped around plots and storylines. You have a retired detective taking matters into his own hands when his neighbor's daughter goes missing. He does more then the police could ever do #sarcasm that the cops are an after thought. Where were they in this movie? Anyway, it was a very long film, too long, and it disappointed as it progressed. It had a budget, and the actors weren't bad, but the story fell flat and left me wondering what I was watching as it progressed. 2/5

allasorte
01-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Hunter Hunter
Well acted, dreary setting, where a wolf is killing animals this small family traps. A real sad way of living imo. Anyway, the husband goes out to hunt the wolf and runs into a serial killer dump. Overall I enjoyed the film. It was well acted, I liked the characters and felt their despair. I wish it would have went more of the cops and the family hunting or wondering where the killer was/is, but it doesn't. I will add, the ending is very rough to watch and has haunted me for days though I consider this a dark thriller and not a horror film. 7/10

allasorte
02-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Wrong Turn 2021
We already have a dozen of these nonmemorable movies, why not give this sludge a 2021 rehash! Crap 1/5

allasorte
03-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Son
A woman has a son where the longer he doesn't "eat" he takes on physical pain and becomes annoying. I felt it was OK, but something I really wouldn't push anyone to watch unless they were desperate for horror. 2/5

allasorte
03-21-2021, 07:58 AM
The Vigil
I tend to lose interest in horror movies that trick me with a descent trailer. With horror being by far my favorite genre as I assume people here too since this is basically a King fan site, I make a valid effort to watch horror movies that are out there. Not many good recent horror movies out there as this was no different. 2/5

Seventh Day
Read above sentence 2/5

mae
06-12-2021, 08:39 PM
https://www.indiewire.com/feature/best-horror-movies-all-time-scary-films-1202012183/

Why does it feel like horror movies are always undervalued? One thing’s for certain: In this age of geekery reigning supreme, critics and academics no longer dismiss the genre as disreputable with the kneejerk regularity some once did. But even now there’s talk of “elevated horror,” of artier explorations of dread and terror — Ari Aster’s “Hereditary” and Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” being two very recent examples — that are clearly distinguished from, well, non-elevated horror. The idea being that they engage your brain more than just showing brains being splattered against the wall.

How can films that fire your adrenal glands, send shivers down your spine, raise goosebumps, and quicken breath — that inspire such an intense physical reaction — also be cerebral experiences? We forget all the time that, as Anna Karina’s Pierrot Le Fou character Marianne Renoir says, “There can be ideas in feelings.”

What scares people says a lot about them — as the recent debate about what it means if a viewer finds certain elements of “Get Out” scary or funny revealed very clearly. “Get Out” showed the similarity between horror and comedy, the two genres most often expected to provoke an immediate, visceral reaction. Maybe the aversion some viewers have to both genres is a fear of losing control: of laughing so hard you snort or having to turn away in fright, of embarrassing yourself. A lot of people simply don’t want to lose control, no matter what. What’s funny is that horror, like comedy, is a genre in which each filmmaker has to assert his or her utmost control over the material, has to perfectly calibrate the storytelling, so that we can lose it. Extreme control so that the audience can lose control.

The IndieWire staff put together this list of the 100 Greatest Horror Movies of All-Time to celebrate these intensely primal, personal films. Our writers and editors suggested over 150 titles and then voted on a list of finalists to determine the ultimate ranking. We hope it’s a list that captures the wide range and diversity of the genre, from underseen Laird Cregar vehicles to a Russian chiller based on a Nikolai Gogol story, from J-Horror to the Mexican gem “Alucarda.” Brace yourself for these movies: losing control will never be so much fun.

120. “The Blood on Satan’s Claw” (Piers Haggard, 1971)
119. “Inside” (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2007)
118. “Paranormal Activity” (Oren Peli, 2007)
117. “Sinister” (Scott Derrickson, 2012)
116. “The Orphanage” (J.A. Bayona, 2007)
115. “Mandy” (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)
114. “[Rec]” (Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza, 2007)
113. “Saint Maud” (Rose Glass, 2020)
112. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” (Philip Kaufman, 1978)
111. “Midsommar” (Ari Aster, 2019)
110. “Dracula” (Tod Browning, 1931)
109. “Hereditary” (Ari Aster, 2018)
108. “The Strangers” (Bryan Bertino, 2008)
107. “Häxan” (Benjamin Christensen, 1922)
106. “Shutter Island” (Martin Scorsese, 2010)
105. “The Night of the Hunter” (Charles Laughton, 1955)
104. “The Mist” (Frank Darabont, 2007)
103. “The Phantom Carriage” (Victor Sjöström, 1921)
102. “Safe” (Todd Haynes, 1995)
101. “Eraserhead” (David Lynch, 1977)
100. “Village of the Damned” (Wolf Rilla, 1960)
99. “The Ring” (Gore Verbinski, 2002)
98. “The Changeling” (Peter Medak, 1980)
97. “Alucarda” (Juan López Moctezuma, 1977)
96. “Tales from the Hood” (Rusty Cundieff, 1995)
95. “Messiah of Evil” (Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, 1973)
94. “A Bay of Blood” (Mario Bava, 1971)
93. “Trouble Every Day” (Claire Denis, 2001)
92. “The Tenant” (Roman Polanski, 1976)
91. “Goodnight Mommy” (Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala, 2014)
90. “The Leopard Man” (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)
89. “Viy” (Konstantin Yershov and Georgi Kropachyov, 1967)
88. “The Hunger” (Tony Scott, 1983)
87. “Masque of the Red Death” (Roger Corman, 1964)
86. “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (Wes Craven, 1984)
85. “Antichrist” (Lars von Trier, 2009)
84. “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” (Robert Aldrich, 1962)
83. “The Ghost Ship” (Mark Robson, 1943)
82. “The Skin I Live In” (Pedro Almodovar, 2011)
81. “Suspiria” (Luca Guadagnino, 2018)
80. “Kuroneko” (Kaneto Shindo, 1968)
79. “Martyrs” (Pascal Laugier, 2008)
78. “The Vanishing” (George Sluizer, 1988)
77. “House on Haunted Hill” (William Castle, 1959)
76. “Brotherhood of the Wolf” (Christophe Gans, 2001)
75. “Sisters” (Brian De Palma, 1973)
74. “Raw” (Julia Ducournau, 2016)
73. “Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer” (John McNaughton, 1986)
72. “Hour of the Wolf” (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)
71. “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” (Francis Ford Coppola, 1992)
70. “The Seventh Victim” (Mark Robson, 1943)
69. “High Tension” (Alexandre Aja, 2003)
68. “Dressed to Kill” (Brian De Palma, 1980)
67. “Black Christmas” (Bob Clark, 1974)
66. “The Descent” (Neil Marshall, 2005)
65. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” (Don Siegel, 1956)
64. “A Tale of Two Sisters” (Kim Jee-woon, 2003)
63. “Let the Right One In” (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
62. “Jacob’s Ladder” (Adrian Lyne, 1990)
61. “Evil Dead II” (Sam Raimi, 1987)
60. “Poltergeist” (Tobe Hooper, 1982)
59. “The Sixth Sense” (M. Night Shyamalan, 1999)
58. “The Haunting” (Robert Wise, 1963)
57. “The Conjuring” (James Wan, 2013)
56. “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me” (David Lynch, 1992)
55. “The Fog” (John Carpenter, 1980)
54. “The Babadook” (Jennifer Kent, 2014)
53. “The Witch” (Robert Eggers, 2015)
52. “Frankenstein” (James Whale, 1931)
51. “The Spiral Staircase” (Robert Siodmak, 1946)
50. “Candyman” (Bernard Rose, 1992)
49. “The Lodger” (John Brahm, 1944)
48. “Carnival of Souls” (Herk Harvey, 1962)
47. “Ganja & Hess” (Bill Gunn, 1973)
46. “It Follows” (David Robert Mitchell, 2014)
45. “The Blair Witch Project” (Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez, 1999)
44. “The Brood” (David Cronenberg, 1979)
43. “I Saw the Devil” (Kim Jee-Woon, 2011)
42. “Freaks” (Tod Browning, 1932)
41. “Possession” (Andrzej Zulawaki, 1981)
40. “The Others” (Alejandro Amenábar, 2001)
39. “The Devils” (Ken Russell, 1971)
38. “Black Sunday” (Mario Bava, 1960)
37. “Hausu” (Obayashi Nobuhiko, 1977)
36. “Don’t Look Now” (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
35. “Hangover Square” (John Brahm, 1945)
34. “The Devil’s Backbone” (Guillermo Del Toro, 2001)
33. “Scream” (Wes Craven, 1996)
32. “Near Dark” (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)
31. “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” (Robert Wiene, 1920)
30. “The Wicker Man” (Robin Hardy, 1973)
29. “The Innocents” (Jack Clayton, 1961)
28. “Pulse” (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001)
27. “The Omen” (Richard Donner, 1976)
26. “Bride of Frankenstein” (James Whale, 1935)
25. “Suspiria” (Dario Argento, 1977)
24. “The Birds” (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)
23. “I Walked With a Zombie” (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)
22. “Repulsion” (Roman Polanski, 1965)
21. “Carrie” (Brian De Palma, 1976)
20. “The Fly” (David Cronenberg, 1986)
19. “Get Out” (Jordan Peele, 2017)
18. “The Silence of the Lambs” (Jonathan Demme, 1991)
17. “Nosferatu” (F. W. Murnau, 1922)
16. “Jaws” (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
15. “Cat People” (Jacques Tourneur, 1942)
14. “28 Days Later” (Danny Boyle, 2002)
13. “Audition” (Takashi Miike, 1999)
12. “Dawn of the Dead” (George A. Romero, 1978)
11. “Deep Red” (Dario Argento, 1975)
10. “Night of the Living Dead” (George Romero, 1968)
9. “Alien” (Ridley Scott, 1979)
8. “The Thing” (John Carpenter, 1982)
7. “Eyes Without a Face” (Georges Franju, 1960)
6. “Psycho” (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
5. “Halloween” (John Carpenter, 1978)
4. “The Exorcist” (William Friedkin, 1973)
3. “Rosemary’s Baby” (Roman Polanski, 1968)
2. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (Tobe Hooper, 1974
1. “The Shining” (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

allasorte
06-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Mae
I think horror movies are undervalued because not everyone likes them. I don't have many friends that love them like I do. Funny thing is, based on cost to make, they are one of the biggest money makers for movie companies. I read that somewhere. I am a true horror fan, but also love dramas and thrillers that blend into the horror genre. Sci-fi does it well to at times.

allasorte
06-13-2021, 09:02 AM
Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
Overall it wasn't bad. The pace was quicker then you would expect. It definitely wasn't solely on following the killer and his trial so I am not sure how much was actually factual to fiction. In real life we know Arne Johnson killed someone because he allegedly was possessed. He actually only served 5 years which is a surprise. But the story goes through other crimes and tends to look for similarities and even to prove the same demon had correlation with other cases. It was my least favorite of the three, but I did enjoy it and it was well acted.

divemaster
06-13-2021, 11:54 AM
It's hard to take a horror movie list seriously if A Tale of Two Sisters doesn't even make the top 50. It's not only one of the best horror movies of all time, it should make the top 50 for any movie, regardless of genre. Same for classics like The Sixth Sense or Jacob's Ladder. I guess the compiler of the list just wants the goopy parts or jump scares. Audition at #13? If not for the shock value, should not even make the top 100. Perhaps Audition should be #1 for "most overrated movie by fanboys who don't know any better."

Although it's nice to see House listed. Also, two by Argento. But where's Opera?

allasorte
06-26-2021, 10:42 AM
The Mortuary Collection 2019
I never heard of it but someone mentioned it, so I have it a look. For an anthology movie, it was really good. Not scary per say, but had it's creepy and bloody moments. It was well acted, has some interesting stories, and shot well. 6/10

allasorte
06-26-2021, 10:45 AM
Gaia
Listed as a horror movie but I feel it is more of a thriller fantasy type movie. The cinematography was great imo. The acting was very well done, it had a unique and creepy story, the movie moved forward with little lag and it was intriguing to see where everything was headed, and it wasn't too bloody but it had it's disturbing moments. All in all it was very good and if someone is looking for something a little different and unique, then this would be something to consider. 7/10

ratchet41
06-30-2021, 12:14 AM
it's been awhile since i last watched a horror movie these last few i have not seen yet, found footage films should as i always say stay lost as i cannot stand them, all i get is fucking dizzy as hell whenever i try to watch one cause the camera is all over the damn place.

allasorte
07-09-2021, 06:34 AM
Werewolves Within
A horror comedy where everyone is trapped in a hotel because a road is blocked and a bad snow storm is happening, and people believe a werewolf is killing people and it is hiding among them. Surprisingly the characters were all unique, fun, and had good dialogue. Overall I was surprised I liked it. 3/5

allasorte
07-09-2021, 06:37 AM
Separation
The wife dies and the husband has to take care of his daughter alone and she starts talking to "her mother" and start seeing her father's puppet creations coming to life. I enjoyed the open sequence of the film and I do like the characters within the movie, but there were so many times the story dragged with nothing substantial to hold your attention. The "scares" in the film weren't frightening and the CGI looked low budget. I really wanted to see this film, and I didn't care for it at all. 2/5

DoctorDodge
07-19-2021, 06:24 PM
I recently watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a horror masterpiece, but a lot of fun. Pays a lot of homage to the genre, right from the opening scene, and I liked how the three films were connected. It's a bit surprising that these weren't released in October, to be honest. Not just because of the genre, but also because of how fun they were. Definitely good to rewatch during the month, at least.

Heather19
08-16-2021, 03:50 PM
I recently watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a horror masterpiece, but a lot of fun. Pays a lot of homage to the genre, right from the opening scene, and I liked how the three films were connected. It's a bit surprising that these weren't released in October, to be honest. Not just because of the genre, but also because of how fun they were. Definitely good to rewatch during the month, at least.

I watched these recently as well and really enjoyed them. Did you ever read the books at all? I was obsessed with them when I was younger and the movies definitely captured the essence of the books. I still have my collection so I pulled one out recently to read and it was a lot of fun. I plan to read some more over the coming months.

allasorte
09-04-2021, 03:41 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the second movie the most. The tie in of all 3 movies wasn't bad either. Overall an OK trilogy.

allasorte
09-05-2021, 03:24 AM
Demonic
I was sort of looking forward to this, but wasn't either. Anyway, it was all over the place, not well acted, not thought out well either; it was pretty bad. 2/5

allasorte
09-10-2021, 07:01 PM
Malignant James Wan
I was looking forward to this. A woman has a major tragedy at home at the beginning of the movie and then has horrible premonitions or dreams of murders. Of course, she moves back home otherwise where is the plot. She has a friend that wants to "help her through this" and is rarely around. The score or music seemed too loud and not fitting for this film. The acting wasn't very good and if everyone died I could care the less as the characters aren't very likable. What can I say? The movie was not very good and another horror disappoint for the genre. I'm curious why these writers and directors don't sit down and think about what made some great horror movies so great back in the day, and kind of follow suit or get intelligent ideas. Sure there are some good recent films in horror, but recently the overhyped crap being pushed out, is just that, crap. 2/5

allasorte
10-08-2021, 03:32 AM
The Night House
I was very much looking forward to this and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was very well done. The scenery was beautiful as was the house. The story unfolded nicely as the film carried on and the dreams Rebecca Hall was having were creepy, taunting, and made me intrigued to continue on. My one drawback was I wish they would have spent more time with Rebecca finding out more from her husband's suicide as to what he was going through. That isn't a spoiler btw. Overall it was a very good thriller sort of horror flick to watch at night and on the water :). 4/5

Ricky
10-08-2021, 02:43 PM
The Night House is at the top of my list! I'm looking forward to it. It lasted in my theater for a week before it was pulled completely off the schedule, so I missed it. Glad to hear it was enjoyable!

mae
10-08-2021, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhO8gmtO0BY

allasorte
10-23-2021, 08:45 AM
Halloween Kills
Well, it had it's moments like the first new one. I didn't like the dragging and whining of characters laying in the hospital stating it was "their fault." When there was violence and death, it was violent. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I did enjoy the ending. 3/5

Still Servant
10-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Go see Last Night in Soho.

mae
11-03-2021, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5k_ATJ_TiI

OldCrow88
11-07-2021, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5k_ATJ_TiI

I agree, not a horror film. Suspenseful moments, sure, but ultimately not horror.

Tommy
11-08-2021, 03:44 AM
I've always identified with the Freaks and never gave thought to people that considered them the villains. That blows my mind. The Freaks have always been the heroes for me. I cannot imagine people thinking that Cleo and Hercules are the "good guys". The stories about the studio having to build a separate tent so some assholes didn't have to "throw up" while eating their lunch is disgraceful and shame on FSF. I've read and loved all his books, even the bad ones but I never knew that about him. Jerk.

It is hard judging whether or not it is truly a horror film considering the large amount of lost footage and studio meddling. There was a scene where all the Freaks descend upon a prostrate Cleo under a tree attacking her. Also, a scene where Hercules is castrated and is seen along with what Cleo has become at the end singing with a falsetto voice, reinforcing the castration.

Even if the footage were found I don't think the Freaks were ever meant to be the villains. But we still have the villainous Cleo and Hercules. After their transformations, are they still villains or have they now truly been accepted as "one of us"?

I mean not to put anyone on the spot but was anyone's first impression of the film that the Freaks were the bad guys?

It is definitely a weird film, a contemplative film, something that lingers. The horror in it was always the mistreatment of the Freaks which knowing how the studio treated them, makes it even worse. The studio proved the point that is proved in the film.

mae
11-08-2021, 07:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUbP2KVVl8

allasorte
12-18-2021, 07:37 AM
Antlers
The first half of the movie is a small crawl of how the characters all have past issues and the second half didn't move much quicker. The trailer tricks you into thinking this would be like a monster murder type of movie and it wasn't. The actors acted like they didn't want to be there. It was very boring and very dull. We also didn't need one boring character telling a boring story and giving away the whole mystique; but it happened. It was not a good movie.

Tommy
03-04-2022, 01:03 AM
Shudder is bringing the extreme horror this month! Inside is finally on there and I implore any horror fan, watch it!

Heather19
03-04-2022, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I've been dying to see it but haven't found it anywhere. And go figure I had a subscription to AMC+ for a couple months which included Shudder which I just canceled :doh:

mae
05-07-2022, 04:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_p7rOpexOE

mae
10-09-2022, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Iv9xzW87I

Kongo
10-10-2022, 07:31 AM
Some theaters in my city had special screenings for The Terrifier 2. While I think the first was the better movie, this was still a fun ride. The gore and kills were intense and over the top, and they really built on the lore in this film. Solid 8/10

For those who've never heard of Terrifier, I urge you to seek it out if you love Grindhouse or slasher films. Art the clown makes for a fantastic villain, and can definitely creep some people out effortlessly

mattgreenbean
10-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Some theaters in my city had special screenings for The Terrifier 2. While I think the first was the better movie, this was still a fun ride. The gore and kills were intense and over the top, and they really built on the lore in this film. Solid 8/10

For those who've never heard of Terrifier, I urge you to seek it out if you love Grindhouse or slasher films. Art the clown makes for a fantastic villain, and can definitely creep some people out effortlessly

At 2hrs 28 mins, I just don't know if the experience of the film, outside of a theater atmosphere, will be as entertaining for me. I liked Art in All Hollows Eve. It was like, wtf was that? Terrifier at 1hr 26mins was pretty good for a slasher film. Is this still a slasher film, or does it go into storytelling mode?

Kongo
10-11-2022, 10:38 AM

At 2hrs 28 mins, I just don't know if the experience of the film, outside of a theater atmosphere, will be as entertaining for me. I liked Art in All Hollows Eve. It was like, wtf was that? Terrifier at 1hr 26mins was pretty good for a slasher film. Is this still a slasher film, or does it go into storytelling mode?

You know, I was a little apprehensive with the running time too, but it's not really a negative to the film. Make no mistake though, this movie is still a slasher through and through, however there's way more going on here than in the first one. There's quite a few more characters this time around, each with their own storyline going on. While the first film was more compact from a storyline perspective, part 2 is still worth the view

mattgreenbean
10-11-2022, 10:46 AM

You know, I was a little apprehensive with the running time too, but it's not really a negative to the film. Make no mistake though, this movie is still a slasher through and through, however there's way more going on here than in the first one. There's quite a few more characters this time around, each with their own storyline going on. While the first film was more compact from a storyline perspective, part 2 is still worth the view

Cool. I'll still see it no doubt.

mae
10-15-2022, 09:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7ZSAlKWHc

mae
12-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Unapologetically one of my all-time favorite horror franchises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVjIm7a9MH0