PDA

View Full Version : Horror films

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Jean
02-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Jean, they are making/have made a sequel to The Last Exorcism. I am very unsure if I should be excited for not. I loved the first one so if it's made just as good, I'm all in...but sequels, especially horror sequels tend to be disappointing.

Precisely. I am not sure I will watch it at all. The film was a perfection, and it sure did NOT warrant any sequels.

DoctorDodge
02-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Jean, they are making/have made a sequel to The Last Exorcism. I am very unsure if I should be excited for not. I loved the first one so if it's made just as good, I'm all in...but sequels, especially horror sequels tend to be disappointing.

Precisely. I am not sure I will watch it at all. The film was a perfection, and it sure did NOT warrant any sequels.

My thoughts exactly. I saw that trailer, and I really wasn't impressed. There might be a chance it'll be good, but...well, like Jean, some films don't need sequels, and TLE was definitely one of those movies.

Btw Mattrick, (awesome to have you back again, btw,) have you heard of Berberian Sound Studio? That's one bizarre film that I think both you and Jean would enjoy.

Jean
02-11-2013, 03:54 AM
tee hee it seems that I'll be watching it soon... maybe tonight... if everything goes as planned...

DoctorDodge
02-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Ah, you've found it? Hope everything goes as planned and that you not only watch it but also enjoy it. :D

Mattrick
02-11-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm just hoping remaining optimistic on this one...the fact it took them three years and didn't shit one out in 12 months like they do with so many terrible horror sequels gives me hope, but the lack of the same directors/writers is disconcerting. I've given up on horror movies these days...so many are just bad, at least ones made over here. Last Exorcism was one of those gems that slipped through the crack...so kind of betting on the same dog twice.

I keep seeing ideas for horror movies, like Dark Skies where I think, this looks like a great idea (to me all a horror movie/story comes down to is the idea) and it's executed with all flash and no substance, very sterile. Too much reliance on CGI to create their horror for them, along with cheap scares and valuable time wasted on building up tension to nothing, instead of actually creating atmosphere. I had an argument with my film buff friend about what makes horror: he told me a good horror was all about the atmosphere, I said a good horror is all about the characters and whether their react realistically and to their character (ie they need a personality) and if we can fear FOR them. While I agree atmosphere is essential to a horror movie, I feel it's the atmosphere as it encroaches, surrounds and threatens the characters, that makes the atmosphere work. Often times, characters in horror movies have become so cardboardy they are merely there for a body count and in the end, the horror of death by whatever the evil is, is nullified and human life becomes meaningless. That is why the best horror movies either have a very strong director, a very strong actor(s) or for the fortunate few, both. This is why a movie like The Ring was so successful, as Naomi Watts and the actor who played her son, as well as the crazy father of Samara, Bryan Cox, were so strong, that the atmosphere created was a constant threat to them; and why The Grudge sucked because while it had atmosphere, the acting and writing was so terrible, it would be humanly impossible to care if any of the characters lived or died. Horror movies these days are basically designed to make teenage girls jump, so teenage boys can hold them...it is a sad state on this side of the ocean. Sidenote: bit of a rant...happens when I am tired.

fernandito
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I still haven't seen TLE, fuuuuuuuudgeeeee ....

I actually kinda liked the trailer to the sequel, it was .. unsettling.

Jean
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
The film itself - the real one (I refuse to call it "the original", or "part one", or whatever) is more than just unsettling (which it is, too). I is good, I mean, as a good movie can be good.

Heather19
02-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Just saw this. Feels like I've been waiting forever for this film. Only a few months to go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXumvqRAHk

Ricky
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I was wondering if you had seen the trailer when I saw it was released the other day (I haven't watched it yet, though). It does feel like it's been talked about forever!

Jean
02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
have watched a wonderful Singaporean horror film - The Maid (2005). Recommended!

Mattrick
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I turned the trailer on and the second 'Rob Zombie' came up I turned it off...he is terrible.

Heather19
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
have watched a wonderful Singaporean horror film - The Maid (2005). Recommended!

Added! :D

I turned the trailer on and the second 'Rob Zombie' came up I turned it off...he is terrible.

:o

Mattrick
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
I'll leave at that I could fill a book with everything he did wrong with Halloween.

Heather19
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I'll leave at that I could fill a book with everything he did wrong with Halloween.

I can give you a pass on that one even though I personally love his take on Halloween (hated 2 though). But what about his original films?!

needfulthings
02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/3641/img793p.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/233/img794b.jpg

Mattrick
02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I can give you a pass on that one even though I personally love his take on Halloween (hated 2 though). But what about his original films?!

I haven't seen Devil's Reject which I heard was decent but the fact it's a sequel to House of a Thousand Corpses which was excruciating for me to get through. Aside from a being clear Texas Chainsaw wannabe, I felt it had nothing to offer, wasn't the least bit scary or entertaining and I found the worshipping of the movie by all the goth kids in high school (it's so goth!) very annoying...it seemed the entire movie was a way for Rob Zombie to say 'look how disturbed and twisted my mind is' as he presents us with nothing new, groundbreaking or original and it plays like a really long music video with no point to make. The only things I was left with watching House of a Thousand Corpses was that I was jealous his wife was so hot and that he should go back to making average music.

And Halloween; well he ruined Michael Myers by making him a product of a broken home, seven feet tall and 300 pounds and spent more time coming up with characters for Michael to kill rather than coming up with reasons why we should care about anything we're seeing. Girl who played Laurie was hot and Malcolm McDowell is always welcome, and that's the end of it's positive factors. Halloween two of course I have never seen and I've heard nothing but bad things. I imagine it's Michael Myers killing 30 people with no plot, minus the backstory the first one had, which was the only well done part of the movie which is ironic since it ruined it also ruined it. Rob Zombie made Halloween as if to say 'I know so much about the nature of evil' when he clearly knows nothing or even tries to explore such an endless theme, which leads me to believe it's his name and image that sell his movies. Halloween was the birth of slasher films (I suppose Psycho more so, but in a different way). If I didn't have Carpenter's to compare it to, I may have enjoyed it more.

All that said I have always wanted to see The Devil's Rejects and eventually will, I'm just not running out to see it or his next movies. I've talked with a lot of different people about Halloween and too many have said the original was shit and Zombies was way better...that's usually when I walk away. I wish Zombie was better as he obviously has a love for horror movies and a passion to make them (something the American horror market needs) I just wish he was better at it for his fame for it. At least he's better than Eli Roth lol

Heather19
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Wow, you do hate his films :lol: I would recommend checking out The Devil's Rejects at some point though as it is very different from House.

Mattrick
02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
It's not just his films but American horror in general, I'm just very jaded about the genre these days. Guess I have to travel overseas to get the good stuff.

Ricky
02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
I felt it had nothing to offer, wasn't the least bit scary or entertaining[...]it seemed the entire movie was a way for Rob Zombie to say 'look how disturbed and twisted my mind is' as he presents us with nothing new, groundbreaking or original and it plays like a really long music video with no point to make.

I'll agree with that (sorry Heather! :lol: ) but I did enjoy The Devil's Rejects. Much, much better.

fernandito
02-15-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't like any of Rob Zombie's films either to be quite frank. I agree with your ascertation Matt that he only puts shit in there so that everyone can seee how twisted his mind is. I didn't think The Devil's Rejects was all that great either outside of one or two bits.

Heather19
02-16-2013, 05:44 AM
I think you're all crazy :P

Mattrick, what are some of your favorite horrors?

Mattrick
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
The Orphanage, 28 Days Later, The Shining, Halloween, The Last Exorcism, Frailty, Dawn of the Dead (2004), The Thing, The Descent, The Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Mist, Quarantine, [REC] 2, Silent Hill, Slither, Pontypool and In The Mouth of Madness.

needfulthings
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
WHAT AN UNDERRATED CLASSIC.
http://imageshack.us/a/img827/2851/img817w.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img202/1453/img818y.jpg
I love the fact that they only had 1 vintage HAMM'S beer can for the whole movie.

Mattrick
02-16-2013, 09:19 PM
I was fortunate enough to see Frailty in theatres and it still ranks amongst my favourite theatre experiences.

Jean
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
I've re-watched Pontypool. I'll remove it from my list of best horrors and try to find a slot in the list of my favorite films. Or maybe I'll keep it in both lists (unprecedented). It is amazing.

needfulthings
02-16-2013, 11:59 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4003/img829z.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1511/img830r.jpg

Mattrick
02-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Jean, you're going to have to recommend me a real good horror for Pontypool, that I'll love now...actually I think you owe me two lol

Ben Staad
02-17-2013, 01:28 AM
I've re-watched Pontypool. I'll remove it from my list of best horrors and try to find a slot in the list of my favorite films. Or maybe I'll keep it in both lists (unprecedented). It is amazing.

1) I watched this on Thursday of last week. Very good movie although (I will admit) that some of the plot was lost to me. I may re-watch this at some point.

2) Has anyone else watched the movies Hell or Rammboch:Berlin Undead? I thought both were very good movies.

Jean
02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Jean, you're going to have to recommend me a real good horror for Pontypool, that I'll love now...actually I think you owe me two lol

Yes, I know!! did you watch Absentia?

1) I watched this on Thursday of last week. Very good movie although (I will admit) that some of the plot was lost to me. I may re-watch this at some point. There are still a lot of things I didn't get. I am looking forward to another re-watch, some time soon.

Mattrick: what do you think happened in the end?

Mattrick
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Next wave of movies I'll get Absentia.

As for Pontypool: I think that they survived the bombing of the church, mostly because they were in the basement of the building. I think the end (after the credits) where they are speaking almost incomprehensibly at each other in 30's style clothing, is their solution to become infected, as they have been completely changing the meanings of words. Between me, my friends and my family we haven't been able to fully make sense of that final scene or to figure out the exact meaning of this; we even theorized it was added to make people think it meant something when i could have just been silly for silly's sake. I suppose I'll never know, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

Jean
02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I have no thoughts!! I always begin to think along the same line - that they somehow survived, that they escaped (maybe only because I want them to - rarely have I been so touched by anything in a movie as by that "killiskiss" part), and then I get confused.

fernandito
02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh what the hell, Pontypool is a horror film? Strange. On Netflix it's marketed as a trip film in the vein of Mulholland Drive, at least that's how I interpret it. Must watch soon.

Heather19
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
The Orphanage, 28 Days Later, The Shining, Halloween, The Last Exorcism, Frailty, Dawn of the Dead (2004), The Thing, The Descent, The Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Mist, Quarantine, [REC] 2, Silent Hill, Slither, Pontypool and In The Mouth of Madness.

You've got some good ones in here. I'd recommend Ils (aka Them) if you haven't seen it yet.

Yes, I know!! did you watch Absentia?

:thumbsup:

Oh what the hell, Pontypool is a horror film? Strange. On Netflix it's marketed as a trip film in the vein of Mulholland Drive, at least that's how I interpret it. Must watch soon.

Hmmm, that's a really weird category to put it in. I'd also consider it horror. And I highly recommend it as well.

Jean
02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1511/img830r.jpg

This is the most deceptive poster ever. I wonder who it is for. Those who want zombies and gore (as shown in the poster) will be disappointed. Those who could love this fantastic film will not recognize its value by these pictures.

fernandito
02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
"Cronenbergian..."

SOLD.

Mattrick
02-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Jean, that's the problem with marketting these days. I remember seeing The Matador, which was a delightfully quirky movie about a Hitman befriending a failing business man in Mexico; the TV spots for the movie was 30 seconds of explosions and action (which is all the movie really contained). Even a movie like The Orphanage could be cut to look like an insane horror with crazy imagery that will make you jump a lot. With horror movies, they show you the parts of the movie that should shock/scare people in the trailers and TV spots, so we're accustomed already. That's how I got fooled with AVP 2: I saw a restricted trailer that showed how much ass is kicked so I figured if that was the trailer the movie must have a lot of ass kicking: turns out the trailer WAS the movie...who would have thought.

Feev, Pontypool was the shit. Main reason I watched it is because it is a local movie that takes place in a small town about an hour from me, but it's great.

pathoftheturtle
02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Even if you can get a movie made that is not just like other movies, you can't make commercials that show the fact. It is a basic irony of the human condition: the majority don't want creative. It's easy to imagine a movie that's worse than you think -- one that is better than you think is hard to imagine, by definition.

Jean
02-21-2013, 03:36 AM
a big disappointment: Citadel (2012). Awesome buildup. Atmosphere, premise, acting, visuals, sound - everything.

And oops.

No story at all. It ended where it should have started.

DoctorDodge
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Finally finished my review and analysis of this film. Reposted it from my blog, as it's become one of my favourite purely psychological horror films. I'm already itching to re-watch it, but first, Pontypool, which I will watch first thing after work tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what my immediate thoughts on that film will be.

There were three main reasons why I wanted to watch Berberian Sound Studio from the moment I heard about it. One was a lot of positive reception around film and cult review websites and magazines. Two was it was supposed to be a homage to the Giallo genre, only ironically, without showing any imagery and focusing purely on sound. Three was Toby Jones – ever since playing the Dream Lord in, yep, you guessed it, Doctor Who, he’s been an actor that I've been very keen to check out more of. (Not realising that actually, I had already seen a couple of film’s he’d been in, or at least, his voice – I am of course referring to his role of Dobby in the Harry Potter movies.) Hearing about a film he actually had a lead role in really got my attention. And what a role he was given: the typically repressed English soundman working on an Italian horror.

I’ve put off writing this review because there’s so much for me to write about, in a case like this. This isn't your typical horror, or at least, anything along the lines of most of the kind of horror films that Hollywood releases these days. There aren't any jumpy scares, no violent deaths of stupid characters, no psychopathic maniacs, none of that. Instead, this is a horror that wants its audience to think, to feel, and to empathise with its main character. In all these aspects, I felt it was very successful.

The story is of a sound engineer, Gilderoy, who has been hired to work on a highly violent horror movie in Italy. As he continues to work on it, the film starts to deeply affect him in numerous ways, and the longer the film goes on, the more Gilderoy loses his grip on reality.

One film that sprang to mind while watching this was Roman Polanski’s The Tennant. The protagonists of both films are foreigners to the country, always made to feel excluded, not just through cultural differences but through personal differences, too. This is a world where Gilderoy simply doesn’t belong in the slightest, something that’s made clear from the very beginning: a typical, deeply repressed Englishman among a film crew of highly emotional Italians, a man who takes his Catholic faith very seriously working on an exploitation movie that forces him to watch an ugly side to it, a man who didn’t even know what kind of film he would be working on until the day he arrived and saw the horrific images. “I didn’t know I’d be working on this type of film…” he quietly says. From that moment on, you know that it will not be a film that would be easy for him to work on.

“A new world of sound awaits you.” There are a number of really wonderful quotes that sum up how wonderful this movie is, and this is one of them. For we see none of the images that Gilderoy sees, only hear, with the occasional description of some truly horrific acts. But the sound is the key thing. Chopped melons become sliced heads and severed limbs, blenders become chainsaws, cooking fat becomes horrifically burned skin. This wonderful use of sound imprints some truly disturbing imagery when really showing us nothing, and it’s wonderful use is something I truly appreciate in a film such as this.

Oddly enough though, while the sounds do give us the clear image, the shots are also important. Now just how the sounds are made, but also including some really nice tributes to the giallo genre in numerous ways - extreme close up of eyes and mouths, cut from mouth to red sauce in blender and, my particular favourite, a close-up of a hand in a black glove while simply turning on the projector. It’s clear that the director, Peter Strickland, is a massive fan of the genre. This is not a giallo movie, nor is it intended to be, but it’s certainly effective in being a respectful tribute to the genre, and kudos must be given to the cinematography for adding to that.

As the film goes on, tension and uneasiness builds as Gilderoy grows to be more and more uncomfortable with the images that he (but not we) sees. It truly becomes difficult for him to work on the film while continuing to see such horrific images that don’t just offend him but also deeply, deeply disturb him on numerous levels – as an Englishman, as a Catholic, as simply himself. He doesn't want these horrific acts to happen, even trying to stop the sounds from happening so the images don’t happen, but it’s no use – whether the sound happens or not, the image of the horrific act still happens. Over and over again until he adds his part. And that’s the worst thing – it’s not being forced to watch such graphic violence, it’s being, as the producer of such a work says, a “part of it”. Gilderoy is adding his own part to the violence and the suffering, the vital part, the sound, and that is something he cannot bear to live with.

Inevitably, he tries to quit, to leave, to escape, but it’s no use. “There’s no reason to escape.” The man is effectively trapped, far from all that he loves in every possible way, and there’s nothing that he can do about it. This feeling of entrapment is, again, another theme that instantly reminds me of Polanski in many of his films.

Despite all this darkness, there’s still a nice amount of humour in the film, but fortunately not the kind that goes against the themes and dark tone of the story. Rather, it is an awkward humour that empathises even more the differences between Gilderoy and his Italian colleagues, as Gilderoy finds it difficult to get on with them at all, whether due to a barrier in language or in culture. The humour in these instances only help to add to the feeling of isolation that Gilderoy is going through.

Eventually, for Gilderoy, and for us, reality and fantasy become blurred. He’s no longer just a part of the Italian horror he’s working on, he’s a part of his own, and the last act of the film involves surreal dream sequences and even dubbing in Italian, as Gilderoy’s life becomes a film that he’s uncomfortable to watch.

As I said, this was a film that I had been eager to watch since the moment I heard about it, and sure enough, it did not disappoint. At times, there were moments that were almost too bizarre, particularly the very end, but perhaps these will be more rewarding with understanding on repeat viewings. In any case, this was a horror that I deeply, deeply enjoyed, a wonderful break from all the typical sensationalist horror that Hollywood is making these days. 9/10

Jean
03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
I must re-watch Berberian. I am trying not to look at your review now, so it doesn't influence my re-watch. I hope to be able to do so on the weekend.

Am also downloading Come Out and Play (2012), which sounds like a remake of Who Can Kill a Child. I would be interested to see what they made of it.

My biggest disappointment is Insensibles. Such an awesome premise, such gorgeous cinematography, such a perfect first half - and all for nothing. A big oops. Heather: I think you should watch the first half nevertheless. It's incredibly beautiful.

Heather19
03-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Definitely will. I have The Apparition at my house now. And then The Monitor next in my queue. Maybe I'll add it after that.

stkmw02
03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Anyone who knows of or is a fan of Malevolence and/or Bereavement... the third and final film in the trilogy is in the very early stages of production. It looks like its going to be promising so far. The director is taking a different approach to this production. Small crew, really intimate cast, and no censorship. (Bereavement was actually somewhat sugar coated compared to his original script.) He plans to distribute through a new company instead of Anchor Bay.

Jean
03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Well. I have watched Come Out and Play.

What's the point? No, what's the fucking point?

So, some asshole takes an old masterpiece - Who Can Kill a Child - and reshoots it, almost frame by frame, only every single bit comes out worse because he is not half as talented as Narciso Ibáñez Serrador. As a result, we have a film that is almost the same, with that only - but crucial - difference that it is not half as good.

The asshole's only way to attract attention is to dispose of all recognizable identity, even a normal name, and wear a mask all the time. A mask, for fuck's sake!

http://www.backstage.com/interview/masked-director-makinov-killer-kids-come-out-and-play/

Did you continue to wear a mask on set?
Makinov: I use the mask even to write; [it] is my filmmaking persona. Every process of filmmaking that I go through, I use the mask. I'm becoming more isolated each day. If I have to film with people again, I don't think I even want to be on set. In "Come Out And Play,” I experimented with the idea of an absent director and it worked.

Oh shit...

pathoftheturtle
03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Well. I have watched Come Out and Play.

What's the point? No, what's the fucking point?

Got it.
Hm.
I like the way Scott McCloud explained this principle --

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/UC-tia-SM-h_zps355d04a0.jpg

Heather19
03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
My biggest disappointment is Insensibles. Such an awesome premise, such gorgeous cinematography, such a perfect first half - and all for nothing. A big oops. Heather: I think you should watch the first half nevertheless. It's incredibly beautiful.

Is this the one you're talking about Jean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1757769/
Netflix doesn't have it, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Merlin1958
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
So, who's going to venture out and view the new "Evil Dead"??? Big fan of the original films (Bruce Campbell ROCKS!!!), but the remake seems to offer a lot less "Black Humor". My daughter is a big horror film fan and is talking it up so I will most likely attend, but what of you folks????

Heather19
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I'll be there! :D

DoctorDodge
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, I've only seen the first one in full, but I do know the sequels do offer a lot of black humour. Definitely not so much in the first one, though. If they're going for a remake of the first film, they look like they've got the hardcore tone just right, at least. I might see it at the cinema, it looks like one of the most hardcore mainstream films in a while, I'd say.

Merlin1958
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, I've only seen the first one in full, but I do know the sequels do offer a lot of black humour. Definitely not so much in the first one, though. If they're going for a remake of the first film, they look like they've got the hardcore tone just right, at least. I might see it at the cinema, it looks like one of the most hardcore mainstream films in a while, I'd say.

Actually, almost as soon as I posted I recalled that the 1st film was the darkest and the humor came later. Should be very interesting!!!

Jean
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Is this the one you're talking about Jean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1757769/
Netflix doesn't have it, but I'll keep an eye out for it.that's the one, yes! :rose: :rose: :rose:

Ricky
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
I haven't seen any of the Evil Dead movies, but the remake looks terrifying. I just might have to see it in the theater.

Merlin1958
03-26-2013, 05:33 PM
I haven't seen any of the Evil Dead movies, but the remake looks terrifying. I just might have to see it in the theater.

OH, you really NEED to see the first three first!!! Treat yourself and rent them!!!

Heather19
03-26-2013, 05:35 PM

OH, you really NEED to see the first three first!!! Treat yourself and rent them!!!

Agreed!

Merlin1958
03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead III)!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFriRcIwqNU

needfulthings
03-26-2013, 06:24 PM
EVIL DEAD 1&2
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/1625/img248g.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5132/img249zi.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/1774/dscn7058n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9772/img250i.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/2/img252l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/1233/img251z.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6827/img707o.jpg

Merlin1958
03-26-2013, 06:26 PM
EVIL DEAD 1&2
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/1774/dscn7058n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6827/img707o.jpg

Classic!!!

Iwritecode
03-27-2013, 05:52 AM
I never really liked the original Evil Dead. The second one was better and Army of Darkness is one of my favorite movies ever. I LMAO at that movie. Especially when he has to say the 3 words to pick up the book.

"Klaatu Barada NNNNNNecktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle. It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!"

"Klaatu... Barada... N [clears his throat into his hand, then pauses] Okay... that's it!"

:lol:

mystima
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
"When you removed the book from the cradle, did you speak the words?"

"Yeah, basically."

"Did you speak the exact words?"

"Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

Now on a different note I saw and interesting Norwegian film the other night on netflix called Troll Hunter. This was not your usual fake documentary movie.
It starts out with a group of college students doing a project for school documenting a man they believe to be a bear poacher in Norway but in fact they find out more that they thought they would. If you ever saw The Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield you would want those people to take lessons from this director because he did a damn good job of making you think it was real and the shaky camera moves didn't look bad at all. I rate this film 5/5.

Mattrick
03-31-2013, 03:01 AM
I love when Ash lambasts medieval for being too stupid to understand chemistry.

Finally going to watch Rec 3 this week :D

fernandito
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Finally going to watch Rec 3 this week :D

Oh snaps, there's a Rec 3!?

I still haven't seen Rec 2 ... how is it compared to the original?

Jean
04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Compared with the original, it sucks.

Heather19
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Is Rec 2 the one where the kids stupidly sneak into the building? Or is that 3. Can't remember how many I've seen.

Jean
04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
must be 2, because I definitely did not see 3. Part 2 was so mediocre that I forgot it immediately after the first final credits.

Heather19
04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Just looked it up and it was. I wouldn't really recommend it Feev. Those kids were so annoying. I also looked up the premise of 3 and it sounds much better. Let me know if it's worth watching Mattrick.

Mattrick
04-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I loved [REC]2, seen it several times. The pair of directors who made the first two made their own movies, 3 and 4. From what I know of [rec]3, it is a much more quirky and campy horror film along the lines of The Evil Dead and since I am seeing The Evil Dead and Jurassic Park 3D tomorrow night, [REC]3 will make a perfect watch for tonight.

I watched De Palma's Sisters which was a nice, tense film, albeit a little confusing.

Heather19
04-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Jean I received The Monitor from netflix a few weeks ago, and just put it in to watch last night. Sadly the dvd was cracked and wouldn't play :(

fernandito
04-12-2013, 09:22 AM
What did everyone/anyone think of V/H/S ?

Jean
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Jean I received The Monitor from netflix a few weeks ago, and just put it in to watch last night. Sadly the dvd was cracked and wouldn't play :(the movie itself is cracked, I mean flawed and lame and inconsistent... I liked it nevertheless, but don't regret too much that you can't watch it. I really really recommend The Maid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maid_%282005_film%29)

watching V/H/S now

needfulthings
04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I really really recommend The Maid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maid_%282005_film%29)

I AGREE
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/941/img341y.jpgOOPS.... SORRY WRONG MAID

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/1240/img342o.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img811/7753/img343v.jpg

needfulthings
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
:rock::rock::rock: REGION B ONLY
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2736/img347b.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img6/5937/img348g.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img268/7268/img345f.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img801/1710/img346h.jpg

U.K. 1st EDITION
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/7311/img349jj.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img515/921/img350.jpg

fernandito
04-15-2013, 09:29 AM
jean - could you expand a little more on why you hated V/H/S?

Jean
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I didn't find anything to like there. If it was a parody, it wasn't clever or funny enough. If it was a movie I was supposed to enjoy, I didn't. It wasn't scary. It wasn't interesting. It was exploiting the idea of lost footage, reducing it ad absurdum. It might be a noble aim, but why should a bear be exposed to one hour and a half of badly conceived, poorly acted and (presumably, on purpose) excruciatingly filmed rubbish?

P.S. To avoid misunderstanding: I loved The Blair Witch Project. I consider it one of the scariest films of all times.

Mattrick
04-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Blair Witch Project is very underrated. I get entertained just listening to them yell at each other in the woods haha.

needfulthings
04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
POST 2,000
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/8991/img427b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/7084/img428lj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6964/img429j.jpg

divemaster
04-22-2013, 05:57 AM
The best thing about that movie was the theme song. Sung by HGL himself!

Yeeee-Haw!

Jean
06-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Have just watched Nailbiter - surprisingly good. I mean, there is no story, and the development is absolutely idiotic, and the premise is as old as the genre itself, and so on. But it was actually directed, filmed, and edited - all of those at times really neat.

Yaksha
07-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Just finished the Evil Dead remake and I have to say it was pretty damn good. It was wonderfully directed, the score added to the creepy atmosphere the movie had going for it, and it did not rely solely on bloody jump scares. Also, very if any CGI. It even made me uncomfortable in some places and genuinely freaked me out a little bit. And if a horror movie can do that, it's an accomplishment. It is one of those rare horror remakes that is actually good and not a complete and utter waste of time, energy, and doesn't make you want to bash yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly for watching it. I definitely recommend it for any fan of the original or a fan of horror films in general. Just do yourselves a favor. Sit through the credits. It's worth it.

Merlin1958
07-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Just finished the Evil Dead remake and I have to say it was pretty damn good. It was wonderfully directed, the score added to the creepy atmosphere the movie had going for it, and it did not rely solely on bloody jump scares. Also, very if any CGI. It even made me uncomfortable in some places and genuinely freaked me out a little bit. And if a horror movie can do that, it's an accomplishment. It is one of those rare horror remakes that is actually good and not a complete and utter waste of time, energy, and doesn't make you want to bash yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly for watching it. I definitely recommend it for any fan of the original or a fan of horror films in general. Just do yourselves a favor. Sit through the credits. It's worth it.

Hmmm, I was waiting for HBO to have it, but now maybe I'll put it on my "To watch" list. Loved the originals!!!

Jean
07-08-2013, 05:01 AM
the last horror I've seen: The Haunging at Silver Falls. Have come here to complain. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and was quite ready to rate it 4- or maybe even just 4; and by the idiotic ending they ruined the whole thing. Assholes.

fearless-freak
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
recently completed my TCM dvd collection with the seventh incarnation and i liked it, but there's one thing that bugs me about TC

"there has to be more Sawyers out there"

Mattrick
07-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I've been putting horror reviews up in the rate the last movie thread but I'd check out in here and get some good horror recommendations at the same time. What I've watched recently:

Cube - A fantastic low budget horror movie that is ingenious in what it can accomplish, when I was a kid I loved the movie and loved it even more a decade removed from my last viewing.

Beneath - A great satire on teenage horror flicks that makes its own statements about the vapidity, self-obsession and quasi-friendships of todays youths....WITH A GIANT MANEATING CATFISH

Quarantine 2: Terminal - Originally though this movie looked awful but I read a review that made me seek it out, loving both [REC] series and Quarantine. If you liked the first Quarantine, this movie offers more gore, more room to move and free from the constraints of a remake, it spreads its wings and makes Quarantine (hopefully) a fun little horror series in its own right.

Slither: What happens when you take an Alien Movie, a Zombie Film, a Comedy and a Romance and roll it all into a ball? You get Slither, which, for effectively combining such different genres into an effective and entertaining film full of gore, gross-out humour, yokels, and laughs, deserving of a watch by any horror fan; non-horror fans my be turned off by the overall grossness of the film, which horror fans will find VERY endearing. Also it has Michael Rooker, which just makes anything better.

neosatus
07-26-2013, 09:15 PM

I just watched it too. I really liked it as well. The acting was just incredible, as was the effects, all of the props, the level of detail--they even had the little lamp and the mounted deer head!

The only thing that I would have loved is just one little comedic moment, as a subtle nod to the comedy of the original films.

The absolute best thing of the film is the genius of having the girl going through detox at the cabin. They didn't believe what she told them, assuming she was experiencing withdrawal. That's just perfect plot work.

On its own feet, it's probably one of the best made horror films of all time.

neosatus
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I also recently saw House Of The Devil--very highly recommended.

Jean
07-26-2013, 11:12 PM
have just seen one of the most preposterous horror films ever, namely, Another by Takeshi Furusawa. I didn't expect anything as stupid (and boring) of a Japanese horror.

Have also watched two wonderful (and quite disturbing) horrors: Home Movie and The Daisy Chain.

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Triangle: Simply awesome. Terrific idea, brilliant execution and lots of room for interpretation. To give away any of this movie would be a shame, just take my word for it, it's great

Jean
07-27-2013, 03:17 AM
I remember liking Triangle. I think I'll re-watch it soon.

Heather19
07-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Watched The Conjuring last night. Really enjoyed it. Also they showed the trailer for Insidious 2, can't wait to see that!

Jean I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

Ricky
07-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Heather, I'm going to see it tonight. I've really been looking forward to it. It's the first horror film I've actually been excited enough about to see in theaters.

Jean
07-27-2013, 07:51 AM
bears want to watch it too, but it isn't available yet

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Watched The Conjuring last night. Really enjoyed it. Also they showed the trailer for Insidious 2, can't wait to see that!

Jean I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

Yes!!! I was "Horrorably" surprised at how good "The Conjuring" was!!! Reminded me of "The Exorcist" a bit. Top shelf horror IMHO

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 11:08 AM
From what I've read, The Conjuring was simply awful. The review on Eberts site was not even close to flattering. Due to people involved I wS excited but that review was about 8 paragraphs of ouch.

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
From what I've read, The Conjuring was simply awful. The review on Eberts site was not even close to flattering. Due to people involved I wS excited but that review was about 8 paragraphs of ouch.

I've learned you can't always trust the reviewers. I saw it in the theater and was pleasantly surprised. Best Horror film I've seen in awhile. Better than the "Evil Dead" remake (which was silly and pointless)

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 07:36 PM
I've had people criticize it for the same issues

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
I've had people criticize it for the same issues

OK Don't see it!! No skin off my nose. Your loss IMHO, but whatever. To each his own.

Dead Man
07-28-2013, 06:05 AM

I was very pleased with the conjuring. It was done very well. It was a throwback film though was closer to The Exorcist. I thought it was one of the best horror films I have seen in a while but I am also more of a mood type fan than a blood and guts person.

mattgreenbean
07-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Cube - A fantastic low budget horror movie that is ingenious in what it can accomplish, when I was a kid I loved the movie and loved it even more a decade removed from my last viewing.

Slither: What happens when you take an Alien Movie, a Zombie Film, a Comedy and a Romance and roll it all into a ball? You get Slither, which, for effectively combining such different genres into an effective and entertaining film full of gore, gross-out humour, yokels, and laughs, deserving of a watch by any horror fan; non-horror fans my be turned off by the overall grossness of the film, which horror fans will find VERY endearing. Also it has Michael Rooker, which just makes anything better.

2 of my favorites

mattgreenbean
07-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Sinister: I wish I had watched this alone instead of with my girlfriend. This movie was pretty freaking creepy and had I been alone, I would have been REALLY creeped out.

Ricky
07-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Saw The Conjuring last night and liked it, but I have to say that I was expecting something...more (original?). It was scary but nowhere near how a lot of people are making it out to be, in my opinion. More jump scares than anything else. Also, it seemed like they were trying to fit too many of the Warrens' cases/experiences into one movie and there were a couple plotlines that never seemed to go anywhere. For example: Lorraine's vision of her daughter in the lake/fearing for her safety, what did Lorraine see that messed her up so badly during a past exorcism?, what was the deal with Annabelle (I know they gave the backstory, but they referenced it so many times that I kept thinking it was going to play a bigger role, especially when the opening 10 minutes revolved around her).

The atmosphere was fantastic throughout the whole thing though, and the exorcism scene puts The Exorcist to shame.

Mattrick
07-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Has anyone seen Wan's Dead Silence? My friend said good things.

DoctorDodge
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
I've seen it. Meh. Wasn't a particularly scary or interesting flick for me, tbh. I can't even remember much of it, which says it all, really.

mattgreenbean
07-28-2013, 01:59 PM
I enjoyed it enough that I would watch it again.

Jean
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
I really enjoyed it.

Heather19
07-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Saw The Conjuring last night and liked it, but I have to say that I was expecting something...more (original?). It was scary but nowhere near how a lot of people are making it out to be, in my opinion. More jump scares than anything else. Also, it seemed like they were trying to fit too many of the Warrens' cases/experiences into one movie and there were a couple plotlines that never seemed to go anywhere. For example: Lorraine's vision of her daughter in the lake/fearing for her safety, what did Lorraine see that messed her up so badly during a past exorcism?, what was the deal with Annabelle (I know they gave the backstory, but they referenced it so many times that I kept thinking it was going to play a bigger role, especially when the opening 10 minutes revolved around her).

The atmosphere was fantastic throughout the whole thing though, and the exorcism scene puts The Exorcist to shame.

Glad you enjoyed it Ricky. I think it's one the better horror film I've seen recently in the theater. I agree about your points though. I think had they left some of that off and focused more on the family it would have been a tighter film. But I can't really complain as that didn't bother me much.

Mattrick, I'd recommend checking it out. I think you'd enjoy it.

I've seen it. Meh. Wasn't a particularly scary or interesting flick for me, tbh. I can't even remember much of it, which says it all, really.

I agree with DD. I saw it when it came out, but the only thing I remember about it was how forgettable of a film it was.

Also I just watched the Evil Dead remake last night. Loved it! I don't think you can really compare it to the original as it's so different. But if you love a good bloody horror film, then check it out.

DoctorDodge
07-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed Evil Dead. It seemed to go for the spirit of the original film (ie freak out the audience with as much disgusting gore as possible) without directly copying it. I've heard that there may even be a sequel that will feature Ash and Mia, merging the two storylines together. And I think it could do it - one of my favourite things about the new film is that it could just about work on its own and still potentially be set in the same universe as the original trilogy. Especially considering how 'loose', to say the least, the continuity of the original trilogy was in the first place. :P

Mattrick
07-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Question about remake of Evil Dead so spoiler of course: If Mia, while possessed, sliced her own tongue in half, when she is saved at the end, will her tongue still be mutilated for the sequel?

Watched: Triangle (Excellent), Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Well-crafted) and This Is The End (More comedy than horror but whatevs, funny stuff) Reviews in Rate thread.

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Question about remake of Evil Dead so spoiler of course: If Mia, while possessed, sliced her own tongue in half, when she is saved at the end, will her tongue still be mutilated for the sequel?

Watched: Triangle (Excellent), Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Well-crafted) and This Is The End (More comedy than horror but whatevs, funny stuff) Reviews in Rate thread.

They had a kinda BS "healing" premise in the flick. I don't see how they continue it w/o "ASH" iMHO!!! I really didn't think they did a good job of "re-imagining" it as much as jumbling the original storyline and adding "more blood".

Mattrick
07-30-2013, 04:50 PM
What storyline? Remake actually had a little story at least

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Go watch the original three films again. At least you had a "tie-in" from 1 into 2 as I recall. I didn't see it here, but I may be wrong. I remember the "tie in" was loose between 1 and 2, but at least "ASH" was there for it. Again, I may be mistaken.

Mattrick
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
The sequel is really a remake of the first and actually had a story.

Yaksha
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM
The remake is a remake/sequel. They are making an Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness 2. They will then make another film merging the story of Ash and Mia. So look forward to at least three films.

As for story, the first three did have an ongoing story even if the first bit of Evil Dead 2 was essentially a remake of the first one considering they removed all the characters except Ash and Linda. What happened to the other three no idea. The story also continues in the comic books which are very excellent. (Most of them. Some suck hard. My personal favorites are the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash series and Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness. The main comic story is very good up to a point.)

neosatus
07-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Go watch the original three films again. At least you had a "tie-in" from 1 into 2 as I recall. I didn't see it here, but I may be wrong. I remember the "tie in" was loose between 1 and 2, but at least "ASH" was there for it. Again, I may be mistaken.

It's the same storyline: People at an isolated cabin ignorantly unleash the fury of hell by speaking certain sacred words.

The only thing different is why they are at the cabin: To help their friend kick the habit--rather than a vacation etc.

Also, I don't know about the "healing". In all of the films, those possessed could instantly change into their original, uninflicted, normal human self. [usually as a ploy to trick the uninflicted into falling for a trap]
So, one could suggest that maybe at least part of what the non-possessed people are seeing is actually illusionary. In other words, the demonization (or some of the aspects of it) is not necessarily a permanent effect.

Mattrick
07-31-2013, 05:24 AM
Small,details too, such as the teacher being the curious and investive one and Mia and her withdrawls provide a plauwible reasoning for her acting crazy...just extra flesh but it helps it.

Yaksha
07-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Honestly, it would have stood in it's own even if it wasn't a remake.

Heather19
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
I agree. Not sure I'm thrilled that they're thinking of making more, but I really enjoyed this one so hopefully the others will be just as good. I wonder how they'll merge the two together.

Also love the combo Yaksha :thumbsup:

Yaksha
07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I figured what the hell.

Merlin1958
07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
You guys got me thinking....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uFuURJR9vg

I LOVE this movie classic!!!

"Yo, She-Bitch"!!! LOL LOL

Yaksha
07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

dnemec
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM

I really enjoyed Dead Silence. Not a great movie, but if you have even a mild form of automatonophobia (fear of life-like things, for instance ventriloquist dummies), it will creep you out a little!

Merlin1958
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM

Yes!!! LOL LOL LOL "What's that on your face" had me falling off the couch the first time I watched it!!! LOL

"Hail to the King, Baby"!!!!

Jean
08-01-2013, 05:52 AM
couldn't overcome my curiosity, and watched The Last Exorcism: Part II.

If there wasn't the original film (I can't call it Part I), Part II would just be a helpless, pointless, mediocre (or rather, below average) "horror" film with, as it is so often happen, no horrors (the only moderately scary moment was in the very beginning, and was verbatim stolen from El Orfanato).

As it is, it's a pathetic piece of crap.

Yaksha
08-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Yes!!! LOL LOL LOL "What's that on your face" had me falling off the couch the first time I watched it!!! LOL

"Hail to the King, Baby"!!!!

The Evil Little Ashs nearly made me pee my pants when I saw it as a kid.

"Ramming Speed!"

And Jean I personally think the found footage genre has reached it's peak. They are mostly jump scares now, and we all know how much I hate jump scares throughout the whole damn movie.

DoctorDodge
08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
couldn't overcome my curiosity, and watched The Last Exorcism: Part II.

If there wasn't the original film (I can't call it Part I), Part II would just be a helpless, pointless, mediocre (or rather, below average) "horror" film with, as it is so often happen, no horrors (the only moderately scary moment was in the very beginning, and was verbatim stolen from El Orfanato).

As it is, it's a pathetic piece of crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ptZN3dUnE

Thank you Jean for doing what I couldn't and watching it. Glad to see my fears (and not the good kind) confirmed, now.

Jean
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
you can always count on a bear to venture in where human beings fear to tread...

Jean
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
And Jean I personally think the found footage genre has reached it's peak. They are mostly jump scares now, and we all know how much I hate jump scares throughout the whole damn movie.It wasn't even the found footage!! it was just shit

and cheap as jump scares are, there weren't even those in that movie! it was just shit

Generally, I think found footage has some future. It was novelty, then it got old, now I think it will be just a type of movie form. The Last Exorcism (the real one) was very different from Blair Witch, and they were both superb; then I watched tons of found footage garbage, and then was pleasantly surprised by Home Movie (2008 ), which I think I even can recommend.

pathoftheturtle
08-02-2013, 04:33 AM
they removed all the characters except Ash and Linda. What happened to the other three no idea.redrum

RichardX
08-02-2013, 06:33 AM
I haven't seen a decent horror film in ages. The found footage movies are hit and miss, but that trend has mostly run its course. V/H/S and the sequel were decent. Some older films that I liked were recently on cable including "The Devil's Backbone" and "Picnic at Hanging Rock". A lot of people hated "The Innkeepers" but I thought it was decent (if a bit slow). "Red, White, and Blue" is a very disturbing movie.

fernandito
08-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Did anyone see Maniac with Elijah Wood?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103217/

Jean
08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
"Picnic at Hanging Rock". Interesting that you should mention it (the first time someone did at our site, unless I'm mistaken) right as I am downloading it...

Heather19
08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
"Picnic at Hanging Rock". Interesting that you should mention it (the first time someone did at our site, unless I'm mistaken) right as I am downloading it...

Jean have you never seen it? I think I just assumed you had. It's an excellent film.

Also have you ever seen Requiem? I wouldn't consider it horror, but it is based on the true story of a girl with epilepsy who was considered to be possessed. A very different take on a possession/exorcism film. I'd recommend you check it out.

Jean
08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
thank you love!

I've just watched Don't Look Now - what a feast for sore eyes!! Not quite a horror, either, but what a beautiful, subtle, sad, moving film! I assume you've seen it - looked to me just the type of film we both love

Heather19
08-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I haven't, but it has been sitting in my netflix queue forever. Just saw it's on instant, so I'll check it out soon. Also I have Sauna next up on my list :)

Jean
08-02-2013, 12:33 PM
great!

Jean
08-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Picnic stopped at 98%... grr... downloading Requiem now

ETA: have watched Saint Ange, absolutely wonderful. Highly recommended to Heather :rose: and Mattrick.

Heather19
08-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Excellent, hope you enjoy it. And this will be your first time watching Picnic? I should have recommended it to you ages ago. Its a wonderful little film. Hopefully you'll be able to find a copy soon.

Jean
08-03-2013, 04:40 AM
yes, it'll be the first time, though I was planning to watch it for ages! I hope I will get the two missing percent sooner or later

RichardX
08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
"Satan's Little Helper". This one makes me laugh every time I see it. A minor classic. The kid may be the most annoying child in the history of movies, but it's still fun.

Yaksha
08-03-2013, 06:49 PM
The Friday the 13th remake. I am probably gonna take some shit for this, but I really like it. Honestly, it's actually a lot better than some of the original movies in my opinion. Derek Mears plays an amazing Jason, (though Kane Hodder will forever be the best) the soundtrack is good and it gives you what you want from a Friday the 13th movie. Brutal inventive kills, a methodical Jason that's like a force of nature, and sex drugs and rock and roll.

There. I said it.

Jean
08-09-2013, 01:47 AM
for some reason I have watched Silent Hill: Revelation. As if The Last Exorcism: Part II wasn't enough.

I never was crazy about the first Silent Hill (the story was exceedingly stupid), but I rather liked it. I've watched it twice, and every time enjoyed the athmosphere and the cinematography. Well, you know - the eerie, the creepy, the haunting, all this.

None of it in SH: Revelation. Just none. The story grew even stupider, and stopped making sense altogether, but the real crime they committed consists in ruining the athmosphere. Nothing eerie, creepy or haunting about that one. Everything looks cheap, amateurish, gaudy, hopelessly uninspired. A ridiculously bad movie.

Heather19
08-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Looks like there will be a Conjuring 2. I think this could be interesting if they do a series where they follow Ed and Lorianne onto other cases.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/09/is-this-the-plot-of-the-conjuring-sequel

fernandito
08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
for some reason I have watched Silent Hill: Revelation. As if The Last Exorcism: Part II wasn't enough.

I never was crazy about the first Silent Hill (the story was exceedingly stupid), but I rather liked it. I've watched it twice, and every time enjoyed the athmosphere and the cinematography. Well, you know - the eerie, the creepy, the haunting, all this.

None of it in SH: Revelation. Just none. The story grew even stupider, and stopped making sense altogether, but the real crime they committed consists in ruining the athmosphere. Nothing eerie, creepy or haunting about that one. Everything looks cheap, amateurish, gaudy, hopelessly uninspired. A ridiculously bad movie.
Oh bear.

You do know they're based on a video game, right? They don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to silver screen transitions lol.

Jean
08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
yes, I know, I even played the game about a century ago! But did you see the first part? It was beautiful. Silly, but beautiful.

RichardX
08-09-2013, 07:13 AM

I also had the misfortune to see the Silent Hill sequel. My expectations were very low, but it was still awful. The original was much better. If nothing else for the policewoman on the motorcycle. The story/video game is based on the town of Centralia, PA that was abandoned when a fire started in the underground mines. The fire may burn for hundreds of years and eventually force the evacuation of neighboring towns. That's kind of an interesting story in itself. I also recently watched "A Haunting in Connecticut." It's an Amityville Horror ripoff on steroids. Very silly and unbelievable. Not among the worst horror films that I've ever watched, but toward the bottom.

dnemec
08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
I hope you guys don't mind if I add my 2 cents!

I've just watched Don't Look Now - what a feast for sore eyes!! Not quite a horror, either, but what a beautiful, subtle, sad, moving film! I assume you've seen it - looked to me just the type of film we both love

I think Don't Look Now was a fantastic movie. I actually watched it because it was on the list of 100 Scariest Movie Moments. (I sat down for 4 hours and watched all the 100 moments and kept track of the movies to put them in my Netflix queue.) Definitely one of the good ones!

The Friday the 13th remake. I am probably gonna take some shit for this, but I really like it. Honestly, it's actually a lot better than some of the original movies in my opinion. Derek Mears plays an amazing Jason, (though Kane Hodder will forever be the best) the soundtrack is good and it gives you what you want from a Friday the 13th movie. Brutal inventive kills, a methodical Jason that's like a force of nature, and sex drugs and rock and roll.

There. I said it.

My main issue with the Friday the 13th remake was that Jason kept that one girl. In all those sequels, he never did anything like that. For me, it was just a complete change of his character. And there was barely any character there to begin with. Beyond that, it was a decent film.

You are correct though--Kane Hodder was the best Jason!

I thought Silent Hill was okay. The best part about it for me was that I have been to the town in PA that Silent Hill was based on. While it doesn't rain ash, there is a disquieting creepiness about it that Silent Hill achieved. Not interested in the second one though.

Heather19
08-09-2013, 07:59 AM
I also recently watched "A Haunting in Connecticut." It's an Amityville Horror ripoff on steroids. Very silly and unbelievable. Not among the worst horror films that I've ever watched, but toward the bottom.

Have you seen the original A Haunting episode of it? That was a hundred times better. It's probably one of my favorites. That one and the original A Haunting in Georgia. They turned that one into a movie as well. Haven't seen it yet, but I don't have high hopes for it.

RichardX
08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I also recently watched "A Haunting in Connecticut." It's an Amityville Horror ripoff on steroids. Very silly and unbelievable. Not among the worst horror films that I've ever watched, but toward the bottom.

Have you seen the original A Haunting episode of it? That was a hundred times better. It's probably one of my favorites. That one and the original A Haunting in Georgia. They turned that one into a movie as well. Haven't seen it yet, but I don't have high hopes for it.

No, I haven't. Is that "episode" a movie? I watched Amityville Horror II the other day and that wasn't bad. It's a prequel to the original where the Defeo son is possessed by demons and kills his entire family. The guy from Rocky plays his father and then you can understand why he wanted to kill him. It goes sideways when they introduce a priest who breaks him out of jail and then goes ninja on the demons, but overall not too bad as these movies goes.

Heather19
08-11-2013, 03:41 AM
I love Amityville 2. I know its not the greatest horror film, but it's my favorite in the franchise.

And the A Haunting episode is more a documentary. It interviews the real people along with doing re-inactments. I love the whole series and recommend checking out at least that one and the Georgia one.

RichardX
08-12-2013, 04:23 PM
"Dale & Tucker vs Evil" and the unfortunately named "Juan of the Dead" were surprisingly good. I particularly liked the political humor in Juan.

fernandito
08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Guess which movie is getting it's own attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood this Halloween. And guess who's going. :)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/insidious-coming-to-halloween-horror-nights

DoctorDodge
08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Gotta ask, has anyone on here watched a British horror called Eden Lake? I hadn't heard of it before until I read this list of "Top 10 Worst Holidays in Movies" and noticed that it had Michael Fassbender in one of the lead roles. The trailer also looks promising in that it seemed to be aiming for something a little more realistic (certainly in terms of basic fears we have over here in Britain), and I'm wondering if the film lives up to it.

Jean
08-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I'll watch it some time today and tell you what I think

DoctorDodge
08-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Cheers, brother bears! :D

Jean
08-17-2013, 05:21 AM
well, I have watched it and I don't recommend it.

They fell between three stools. A film can either be a drama with social commentary, or a chase-in-the-woods flick, or torture porn. Integrating the three would necessitate the latter two transcending their genre, and this would take a lot of talent. As it is, it's neither here nor there.

Thomas Turgoose's part is too short. The others are mediocre.

There's one very good scene at the lake, at the very beginning of the movie. The rest is a conglomerate of incompatible parts.

DoctorDodge
08-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Ok, well cheers for watching and reviewing it, at least.

Jean
08-17-2013, 06:52 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

Jean
08-18-2013, 02:07 AM
James: you might want to have a look at Summer Scars (2007, by Julian Richards). It's not really a masterpiece, but not bad at all.

DoctorDodge
08-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Cheers for the recommendation. I'll try and look for it.

Jean
08-18-2013, 03:09 AM
forgot to say, it is not a horror, I posted in the wrong thread

mystima
08-18-2013, 04:52 PM
am about to watch a couple of horror movies. One is Evil Dead(new one)...been waiting to see if all the hype is true and an unknown one called Battledogs (werewolf virus run amok in Manhattan)...the latter will probably be a really cheesy werewolf movie but I just can't help myself...love cheesy and werewolf...will give thoughts later after watching. oh and if I could get some good recommendations on werewolf movies I would really love to hear from everyone.

Yaksha
08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
If you haven't already seen Ginger Snaps, try it out. Not gonna win any awards but it's worth checking out. Just avoid the sequels like the plague

mystima
08-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Well finished watching my movies and will say this...Evil Dead was awesomely Groovy...lol...I liked the way they took the story and made it their own. Very cool ending to it also...was not expecting it to end the way it didgirl actually being "Ash" and not her brother. There were some scenes that pay homage to the original movie, like the way the brother Mcgyvered a defibrillator. The movie was great...hubby actually winced at some scenes which is awesome just seeing him do because "he is a manly man and manly men don't flinch"....lol. There is an Easter egg at the end but that is all I will say.

Battledogs on the other had was what I thought it would be. Cheesy werewolf movie with a little bit of Outbreak thrown in it for good measure. The makers of most cheesy "B" movies at their best...lol...The Asylum movie makers just need a little more practice with their wolves though...lol...and their artist. but that is all for now...off to see what other mischief I can get into.

fearless-freak
08-21-2013, 11:57 PM
did you watch it through the credits?

Jean
08-22-2013, 05:14 AM
I love Amityville 2. I know its not the greatest horror film, but it's my favorite in the franchise.
I have watched it and loved it.

Of course it's the best of all the Amityville, it's directed by Damiano Damiani, one of my favorite directors ever (A Bullet for the General, Confessions of a Police Captain, and especially A Man on His Knees). I didn't even know he did horror films...

fernandito
08-22-2013, 08:49 AM
This film is killing it (no pun intended) with the critics and the audiences right now. I think I'm convinced. Have you guys heard of this yet? What's strange is that it's apparently been out since 2011, but it's only now getting a theatrical release ..

You're Next (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853739/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/YoureNextNew1.jpg

Heather19
08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Has it been getting good reviews? I was so excited to see it and then I heard a couple of people bashing it, saying how horrible it was, so it left my radar. I also had no idea it's been out for so long.

fearless-freak
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
anyone in or near Chicago?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3250313/chicago-want-to-see-insidious-chapter-2-early-for-free/

fernandito
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
It's currently sitting at 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like it's a subversion of the genre, similar to what Cabin In The Woods did.

Heather19
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
It's currently sitting at 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like it's a subversion of the genre, similar to what Cabin In The Woods did.

Yeah, that's kinda what their reviews implied. One said it was almost Scream like, but he didn't think they intended it to be that way. They both thought it was going to be a scary thriller and therefore I think were disappointed. The main host of the show even gave it neg stars :lol: Well now you have me intrigued again so maybe I'll check it out. At least I won't be expecting something it's not, like how I did with Cabin in the Woods :lol:

fernandito
08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeah, hopefully this one doesn't suck. :smile_002:

Heather19
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
:lol:

Jean
08-23-2013, 06:11 AM
I too was suprised to see that imdb says it's 2011, while there's only the trailer where I always download films from. 90% at Rotten Tomatoes is quite outstanding, I wish the movie was available right now.

RichardX
09-10-2013, 05:08 AM
I watched "Black Rock" and "Hatchet III" over the weekend. Yes, I'm not proud. BR is not too awful though. If you can buy that three women go to a deserted island to camp overnight instead of a spa or someplace swanky for lunch, then it might be for you. Hatchet III is one of those aftermath movies that never work. It goes like this, some maniac (think Jason, Michael Myers) has gone on a rampage and killed half the town. Cue the aftermath script - law enforcement folks come in and say "what's all this?" They are skeptical, have lots of firepower, and then the blood really flows. Sid Haig has a funny cameo. He's a natural character actor. Too bad he only gets awful roles. Danielle Harris is also good. Very pouty and feisty, but the movie is only for the true connoisseur of such films. And then only if you have had at least ten beers.

RichardX
09-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I watched Rob Zombie's "Lords of Salem." I'm not a huge RZ fan, but this is at least an effort to hark back to those entertaining 1960's & 70's satanist movies. It's not awful and not great although the ending is silly. The plot is the tried and true witches come back from the dead to get revenge on the ancestors of those who persecuted them. You do learn some things like Satan is a pot bellied midget, old ladies who drink tea are typically satanists, and they have a statue of Elizabeth "Bewitched" Montgomery in Salem.

mystima
09-22-2013, 04:49 PM
did you watch it through the credits?

that was the Easter egg...lol

fearless-freak
09-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Hatchet III out yet?

Heather19
09-25-2013, 05:10 PM
I watched Rob Zombie's "Lords of Salem." I'm not a huge RZ fan, but this is at least an effort to hark back to those entertaining 1960's & 70's satanist movies. It's not awful and not great although the ending is silly. The plot is the tried and true witches come back from the dead to get revenge on the ancestors of those who persecuted them. You do learn some things like Satan is a pot bellied midget, old ladies who drink tea are typically satanists, and they have a statue of Elizabeth "Bewitched" Montgomery in Salem.

Picked this up the other day. I'm a huge Zombie fan, but I've heard a bunch of not so promising things about the film (also it only played in the theater for 1 week here) so I went in with lower expectations. It wasn't anything like what I had originally thought it would be like, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the ending as well. It's a bit different from his other films and has a different pace to most current horror movies, so that also made it somewhat refreshing.

fearless-freak
09-26-2013, 12:19 AM
he had so much hassle from the studio when he did the Halloween remakes so he decided his next film basically like House Of A 1000 Corpses

Heather19
09-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Yeah I had heard that. I'm kinda glad he choose that route. I enjoyed the first Halloween, but the second was horrible.

fearless-freak
09-26-2013, 04:29 AM
true, went to the cinema for H2 and i came out of it thinking was it a dream or psychosis

Heather19
09-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I could go on with so many reasons as to why I hated it. I watched it again a year or so ago, hoping that going in with lower expectations I might appreciate it more. But I think it only made me dislike it more :lol:

Ricky
09-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Heather, I keep meaning to ask you if you had gotten a chance to see Lords of Salem yet. It's in my queue, but it looks a little...I don't know. It looks sporadic, to me.

Heather19
09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't say it's sporadic. I can't really remember the trailer, so maybe it gives that impression but I wouldn't describe it that way. Honestly I'm not sure if you'll enjoy it. I liked it so I'd recommend it, but I can see where a lot of the bad reviews come from. Generally speaking I'd say that people these days are used to a more aggressive in your face type of horror film. This one definitely has an older feel to it, and is slower paced. There's very minimal blood and gore. I'd love for you to watch it, to see what you think of it, but don't go in with really high expectations.

Did you see Insidious 2 yet? I saw it's been getting some bad reviews. I still want to try to go though.

Jean
09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Los Condenados by Roberto Busó-García: could be a masterpiece; isn't, for a couple of reasons (like, it's veeeeery slow, even for me), but very good anyway. Rather a drama than a horror; in other words, the horror comes from things that are actually horrible. Recommended to Heather :rose:

barlow
09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I finally got around to going to see The Conjuring with some friends the other night at the $2.00 theater. I really enjoyed it, it was especially enjoyable because the theatre we saw it in is supposed to be haunted. A good friend of mine whom was the theatre manager under previous ownership used to ask me to come down and hang out while she closed up, being there by herself freaked her out. She had, on several occasions, seen the ghost of the AMC employee who had hung himself in one of the projection rooms! I myself had never seen or experienced anything, until the other night. With about 20 minutes to go in the movie someone started kicking the back of my seat, not unusual in the theatre, however when I turned to glare at the person behind me there was no one there or in the entire row for that matter! I also felt very cold and my arms broke out in goosebumps, my two friends also felt this sudden cold. I don't know if it was a ghost, but it defiantly added something special to the movie going experience in this case! Anyway back to the movie. I am a big fan of well done atmospheric ghost stories and this was one of them. We are lucky if we get one of these movies every other year, but it seems the last couple of years have had plenty. I hope this trend continues.

Ken

Heather19
09-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Cool story Ken. I bet it made the film even scarier!

Los Condenados by Roberto Busó-García: could be a masterpiece; isn't, for a couple of reasons (like, it's veeeeery slow, even for me), but very good anyway. Rather a drama than a horror; in other words, the horror comes from things that are actually horrible. Recommended to Heather :rose:

Thanks Jean, I checked and netflix doesn't have it yet, but I have it saved. I've also tried to watch Sauna, but the disc was broken. Will try to get it again.

barlow
09-26-2013, 03:37 PM
It definitely enriched the movie, it didn't weird me out since I kinda knew what it might be. But it was a great movie to be watching when you have an experience like that, it wouldn't have been as cool while watching Man Of Steel. Having seen the feedback on Lords Of Salem I will give it a second chance. I really enjoyed House Of 1,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, and the Halloween remake. I was really disappointed by Halloween 2, but I know he was kind of backed into making that one. I was really excited when I heard Zombie was making a new low budget fright flick like his first two. Although I would actually call Devils more more of a 70s exploitation movie than a throwback to 70s horror like House, not that exploitation isn't horror. I went to see it with a couple of friends who were also looking forward to it, one of whom had read and enjoyed the book version. We had high expectations, and were all disjointed. My friend that had read the book says the book was a lot more fleshed out than the movie. Maybe it would have been better with low expectations, or on a second viewing.

Ken

Heather19
09-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I had no idea it was based on a book. I'll have to pick it up. Maybe part of the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did is because I went in with really low expectations. It's not my favorite of his, but it's far from his worst.

Ricky
09-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Great story, Ken! I bet it did make for a more a more atmospheric movie experience.

This one definitely has an older feel to it, and is slower paced. There's very minimal blood and gore. I'd love for you to watch it, to see what you think of it, but don't go in with really high expectations.

Did you see Insidious 2 yet? I saw it's been getting some bad reviews. I still want to try to go though.

That sounds great! I don't know if I'll like it either, but I definitely plan on watching it. I hated (as you know :lol: ) House of 1000 Corpses, but loved Devil's Rejects, so I don't know what to expect.

And I haven't seen Insidious 2 yet (I'm going on the 5th). I keep seeing bad reviews, too, but I can hardly think of a horror movie that ever gets a glowing review. It seems like critics just like to bash horror because it's an easy target.

Heather19
09-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I hated (as you know :lol: ) House of 1000 Corpses

I've blocked that out of my memory since it's my favorite film of his, and one of my favorite horror films. Hopefully you'll enjoy this one.

Let me know what you think of Insidious 2.

barlow
09-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I had no idea it was based on a book. I'll have to pick it up. Maybe part of the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did is because I went in with really low expectations. It's not my favorite of his, but it's far from his worst.

I think the book is a novelization, written by Zombie, of his screenplay.

Ken

Ricky
09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Get Ready for More Scares: 'Insidious 3' Officially Greenlit Following Huge Opening Weekend (http://www.fandango.com/genre/horror-movies/news/get-ready-for-more-scares-insidious-3-officially-greenlit-following-huge-opening-weekend/741120)

needfulthings
10-01-2013, 09:59 AM
:rock::rock::rock:JUST OUT TODAY :rock::rock:
http://imageshack.us/a/img812/9673/yhi7.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/1706/nqls.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/735/0s5f.jpg

Still Servant
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Two of the better horror films I saw this year were The Conjuring and You're Next.

I have a friend that has met the Warren's. He and his wife looked at some photos they had taken. Actually, the Warren's used the photos in their book even though they were asked not to. They also got to see the creepy room that is shown in the movie.

Ricky
10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't know that I'd go into that room, just for Annabelle alone!

Jean
10-09-2013, 02:15 AM
if everything is as planned, I'll watch The Conjuring tonight

fernandito
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm so upset with myself that I didn't catch The Conjuring in theaters. Heard it was quite an experience.

Jean
10-09-2013, 08:58 AM
watching it now. So far very promising.

Heather19
10-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm so upset with myself that I didn't catch The Conjuring in theaters. Heard it was quite an experience.

Well I wouldn't say that, but it was very good. And a good horror film is always good to see in theaters.Sometimes having people scared around you can add to the experience. That said, I don't think you'll miss anything by watching it at home.

Mike, I think you're the only person I know that's seen You're Next. I was dying to see it when I saw the trailer, then all these bad reviews came out, so it left my radar. I'll have to rent it when it comes out.

Also I just finally got to watching Stoker last night, not sure its a horror film but I absolutely loved it. Feev and Jean, have you guys seen it yet?

Jean
10-09-2013, 09:27 AM
No, but I really really want to see it! Downloading now.

fearless-freak
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
just curious, anyone else here seen the Phantasm films?

Jean
10-09-2013, 09:47 AM
No, but I am planning to

needfulthings
10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Japanese novel 1979
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/323/4bau.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/9341/1w48.jpg
The Tall Man Angus Scrimm
http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4408/9g2g.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/9058/erxa.jpg
Director Don Coscarelli Special Effects Paul Pepperman
http://imageshack.us/a/img818/5449/e02s.jpg

Michael Balldwin & Reggie Banister.
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/3522/bbs7.jpg

fearless-freak
10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
sweet!

Heather19
10-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I have the first one, but not sure if I've seen the others. Are the sequels good?

fearless-freak
10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
look em up

fernandito
10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Also I just finally got to watching Stoker last night, not sure its a horror film but I absolutely loved it. Feev and Jean, have you guys seen it yet?

Nope, but it's on my Netflix queue. Heck, I think I'll make it next on my list.

Jean
10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
The Conjuring was good. Not outstanding, but very enjoyable. The best part was the closing credits.

Still Servant
10-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Nope, but it's on my Netflix queue. Heck, I think I'll make it next on my list.

I've been meaning to see Stoker for a while. Like many people here, I'm a big fan of Chan-wook Park's work.

Ricky
10-09-2013, 04:46 PM
That said, I don't think you'll miss anything by watching it at home.

I agree. I enjoyed it, but it was a pretty by-the-book (but well made), no surprises type of horror film.

As for Stoker, it ended up being something TOTALLY different than I had first perceived it might be.

Heather19
10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Did you like it?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-09-2013, 09:14 PM
on page 20 of this thread. just a bookmark for myself.

RichardX
10-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Anyone seen the German film "The White Ribbon"? It's not exactly a horror film, but it certainly has a creepy undertone. Likely a love it or hate it type of artsy film.

"Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment. The abused and suppressed children of the villagers seem to be at the heart of this mystery."

Jean
10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes, it's the only Haneke film I've liked (more or less) so far. There's a Nordic cinema thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17035-Michael-Haneke-Lars-Von-Trier-Ingmar-Bergman)

Mattrick
10-11-2013, 12:51 PM
You didnt like Amour?

Jean
10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
haven't seen it yet

Ricky
10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Did you like it?

I did, but I think that because it didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be, I was a little disappointed.

Heather19
10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Did you like it?

I did, but I think that because it didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be, I was a little disappointed.

I hate when that happens. I actually knew very little about it prior to watching it, maybe that was better cause I was pleasantly surprised by it. I also really loved his style of filming.

Mattrick
10-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Based on Matt Zoller Seitz's review on RogerEbert.com, I am OFFICIALLY PRIMED FOR CARRIE. I know I'm going to love it, knew it when I heard about it.

Mattrick
10-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I just watched Sinister and it was good but it bugs me that they marketted this film based on studio ties to Insidious and Paranormal Activity (inferior movies) instead of 'From writer/director of Exorcism of Emily Rose' which was also a better movie and made me NOT want to see this.

Scott Derrickson has three horrors going now (one has Eric Bana) so get excited for them!

Merlin1958
10-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Time to don your "Costumes" folks!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17709-Halloween-Costumes-2013&p=807746#post807746

Still Servant
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Has anybody seen The Loved Ones? I just got it from Netflix. I've heard good things.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Heather19
10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Let me know how it is. I was just going thru my queue and saw it in there.

Mattrick
10-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Parused the internet to find some new, but not necessarily classic, horrors to watch not just before halloween but after. Now that I'm in the horror aspect of my novel re-write I think watching a couple horror movies a day is sure to be helpful. Here is a list of all the movies I've downloaded. Hopefully there are a few (some are rather obscure or lost in the shuffle amongst other horror heavyweights of their era) that none of us have seen and we can all benefit:

- Cronos (1993)
- The Devil's Backbone (2001)
- The Brood (1979)
- Suspiria (1977)
- Carnival of Souls (1962)
- The House of the Devil (2009)
- Inside (2007)
- Session 9 (2001)
- The Sentinel (1977)
- Kill List (2012)
- Inland Empire (2006)
- A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
- Rosemary's Baby (1968 )
- Eyes Without A Face (1959)
- The House With Laughing Windows (1976)
- The Innocents (1961)
- Night of the Living Dead (1968 )

I have not seen any of these movies (Romero's classic I just have never had the chance) and will be picking at random but any recommendations to bump up my viewing list will be appreciated!

EDIT - Have not downloaded these yet but have spent hours compiling a huge list of 'to watches' so, here's some more.

- Come and See (1985)
- Threads (1984)
- Inferno (1980)
- Martin (1976)
- Black Sunday (1960)
- The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
- Society (1988 )
- Salo (1975)
- Phantasm (1979)
- Kairo (2001)
- The Vanishing (1988 )
- The Night of the Hunter (1955)
- Kill, Baby...Kill! (1966)
- Switchblade Romance (2003)
- Vampyr (1932)
- Hour of the Wolf (1967)
- Peeping Tom (1960)
- Possession (1981)
- Martyrs (2008 )
- The Changeling (1979)
- Audition (1999)
- Don't Look Now (1973)

Jean
10-23-2013, 11:24 PM
You! haven't! seen! Devil's Backbone! which I told you to watch ages ago!!!

it isn't a horror movie, though. It's a del Toro movie. The best I've seen so far. Even better than Pan's Labyrinth.

Mattrick
10-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah I've seen one Del Toro movie and that was Mimic, a great monster flick.

Jean
10-23-2013, 11:59 PM
you didn't see Pan's Labyrinth either?!!

Mattrick
10-24-2013, 12:55 AM
The nerdgasm over Del Toro when his films aren't typical nerd fare has worried me. Never seemed he had the work history to earn such unrelenting praise, especially when his most current works were the Hellboy movies. If I'd known for years hed directed Mimiv (a childhood favourite I would have seeked out his early work which interests me since his current work doesn't.

Jean
10-24-2013, 01:21 AM
can you just forget all that and believe me when I say that Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone are among the best films ever made? At least give them a try?

Mattrick
10-24-2013, 01:36 AM
I didn't download Devils backbone, Mimic and Cronos to ignore them lok

Jean
10-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Mimic is good, but in a quite different league than the two I've recommended. Haven't seen Cronos yet. Pan's Labyrinth is an all-times masterpiece, and Devil's Backbone my personal favorite.

Heather19
10-24-2013, 04:33 AM
Parused the internet to find some new, but not necessarily classic, horrors to watch not just before halloween but after. Now that I'm in the horror aspect of my novel re-write I think watching a couple horror movies a day is sure to be helpful. Here is a list of all the movies I've downloaded. Hopefully there are a few (some are rather obscure or lost in the shuffle amongst other horror heavyweights of their era) that none of us have seen and we can all benefit:

- Cronos (1993)
- The Devil's Backbone (2001)
- The Brood (1979)
- Suspiria (1977)
- Carnival of Souls (1962)
- The House of the Devil (2009)
- Inside (2007)
- Session 9 (2001)
- The Sentinel (1977)
- Kill List (2012)
- Inland Empire (2006)
- Rosemary's Baby (1968 )
- Eyes Without A Face (1959)
- The House With Laughing Windows (1976)
- The Innocents (1961)
- Night of the Living Dead (1968 )

I have not seen any of these movies (Romero's classic I just have never had the chance) and will be picking at random but any recommendations to bump up my viewing list will be appreciated!

EDIT - Have not downloaded these yet but have spent hours compiling a huge list of 'to watches' so, here's some more.

- Come and See (1985)
- Threads (1984)
- Inferno (1980)
- Martin (1976)
- Black Sunday (1960)
- The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
- Society (1988 )
- Salo (1975)
- Phantasm (1979)
- Kairo (2001)
- The Vanishing (1988 )
- The Night of the Hunter (1955)
- Kill, Baby...Kill! (1966)
- Switchblade Romance (2003)
- Vampyr (1932)
- Hour of the Wolf (1967)
- Peeping Tom (1960)
- Possession (1981)
- Martyrs (2008 )
- The Changeling (1979)
- Audition (1999)
- Don't Look Now (1973)

Knowing how much you like The Turn of the Screw, I think you'll really enjoy The Innocents. It's an excellent ghost story. From your list I'd also highly recommend Carnival of Souls, A Tale of Two Sisters, Session 9, and Rosemary's Baby. Suspiria is also a classic, while I don't think it's the best film, it's definitely a must watch. It has a wonderful style to it. I'd highly recommend checking out Opera by Argento as well. It's my personal favorite of his.

Also you have to download Night of the Hunter. It's an excellent film. And I'd recommend Vampyr as another to download soon.

And I completely agree with Jean. I'm shocked you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth. You'll love it. Devil's Backbone and most especially Pan's Labyrinth are so different from his other films. I would have never known it was the same director as Mimic. I haven't seen Hellboy so I can't really comment, but I wouldn't base judgment of those two films based on his current filmography.

Still Servant
10-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Just watched The Loved Ones. I enjoyed it. It's certainly not for the faint of heart. Not for everybody indeed. There are some really creepy, crazy stuff here. A few visuals that I will not soon forget.

Jean
10-24-2013, 01:02 PM
that does it

downloading

ETA: it has 98% at Rotten Tomatoes. What? 98??? Like Chinatown????

Still Servant
10-24-2013, 01:44 PM
that does it

downloading

ETA: it has 98% at Rotten Tomatoes. What? 98??? Like Chinatown????

Yeah, it has amazing reviews. I think there are only like 40 reviews, so it's a little misleading. Regardless, it's 40 something positive reviews. I don't think it's quite as good as a 98% movie should be, but if you're into those kind of movies, then give it a shot. It's also only an hour and 20 minutes long.

needfulthings
10-24-2013, 02:12 PM
The Innocents 1961.
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8294/motc.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img203/3780/k2o7.jpg

1972 Preguel.
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/1/zsl8.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img577/1392/5y1f.jpg

needfulthings
10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/2277/eerb.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img850/7776/y816.jpg

needfulthings
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/962/jik3.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img9/3314/f5vo.jpg

needfulthings
10-24-2013, 04:12 PM
How did we end up here?
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/2086/dpl1.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img706/5561/c68c.jpg

Heather19
10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Just watched The Loved Ones. I enjoyed it. It's certainly not for the faint of heart. Not for everybody indeed. There are some really creepy, crazy stuff here. A few visuals that I will not soon forget.

Will I like it?

Still Servant
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Will I like it?

I'm honestly not sure if you will like it. From what I've gathered over the years, you like your horror a little more subtle. I think you like psychological thrillers rather than crazy gore horror films. The Loved Ones probably falls closer in the torture porn genre like the Saw films or Hostel. The storyline is way different than those films, but there are quite a few scenes that are pretty gory and hard to watch.

I would be willing to bet you have a bunch of other films to watch that you will enjoy more.

Heather19
10-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok, thanks.

The funny thing is I love gory films. The gorier the better. But I can't watch anything with extreme torture. I was good with Saw and Hostel so if it's more mild then I might be good, but you have me a little worried :lol:

Jean
10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
I'll tell you later today

ETA: have seen it, very nice. Heather :rose:, you can safely watch it. It's nothing special, but very enjoyable, very well made and acted. Whatever extreme things they show, it's alleviated (sometimes, alas, to the point of nonexistence) by the definitely comic overtones. I am not a very big fan of this genre (I prefer my horrors deadly serious), but it's its perfect specimen. I'll rate it 4-.

Heather19
10-25-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks! It's still in my queue, but I don't know how quickly I'll get to it.

Mattrick
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
The Fog really disappointed me. It was well made and the atmosphere and creepiness was good, it just seemed to be getting going and just kind of came to a conclusion. I'm not sure what it was about it but it just seemed to be lacking something. I think it was the fact the first deaths they showed were fairly brutal then you didn't see anything really after and no one else really died. I wasn't expecting a blood bath but with the town celebration and everything going on, I was expecting more mayhem than I got and it just sort of fell flat for me. I didn't even see the point in Jamie Lee Curtis's character even existing, what point did she serve?

divemaster
10-26-2013, 08:45 PM

I'm one of the biggest champions on this messageboard, I think, of A Tale of Two Sisters. I provided a detailed review in one of these threads a while back. I hope that you will appreciate it; it affected me on a number of levels. I've never downloaded a film to watch; I trust that you receive a proper subtitled version and not some cheesy dub?

Jean
10-26-2013, 11:30 PM
like divemaster, bears are great fans of A Tale of Two Sisters. DM, can you link your review? If not, I'll find it. I've just re-watched the film, and don't want to part with it.

Mattrick
10-27-2013, 01:02 AM
http://www.impawards.com/2013/posters/beneath.jpg

Everyone watch this. I love it. It is a very unique movie that works on familiar tropes but it combines so many styles of horror into one and it uses them all very well. It starts out very tongue-in-cheek, generic and campy but as the movie progresses there is a tonal shift and you find yourself getting uncomfortable during scenes and what makes the movie genius is that is pulls of this shift so seamless you don't even realize it: by the movies end it not only pokes fun at the horror genre, but it embraces it and makes it's own statements both as a satire and a horror.

divemaster
10-27-2013, 04:07 AM
like divemaster, bears are great fans of A Tale of Two Sisters. DM, can you link your review? If not, I'll find it. I've just re-watched the film, and don't want to part with it.

Hopefully this works...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10359-Rate-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw.&p=627925#post627925

Jean
10-27-2013, 10:31 AM
thanks! reading it now

RichardX
10-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Time Magazine posted a list of the best lesser viewed horror films. A couple are well known to horror fans. Others maybe less so:

The Vanishing (1988 Dutch version)
The Orphanage
Inside
Session 9
[REC]
The Creeping Flesh
Dog Soldiers
Re-Animator
The Evil Dead

fernandito
10-29-2013, 07:12 AM
I love The Vanishing, but I wouldn't necessary consider it a horror film ...