PDA

View Full Version : New 9/11 Aerial Photos released

Nerak
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
From AP (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iKQtvU9zRF95RLI-rjN-hQxQJ-bgD9DPD70O1)

ABC filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the National Institute of Standards and Technology last year. They received 2779 photos, they released 12.

LadyHitchhiker
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Why only 12?

Brice
02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Cause you're not allowed to see what's in the others because of "national security".

j/k

maybe :ninja:

Jon
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Why only 12?

Dumbass left the lens cap on for the other 2,767.

John Blaze
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
muah ha ha ha ha..
but seriously, where they at?

the other question is, Do you REALLY want to see them? :unsure:

Jon
02-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I just wonder if we are "beating a dead horse."

Nerak
02-11-2010, 04:57 AM
I have a morbid curiosity about the whole day. I was 7 months pregnant with my son and thinking that I might not live to see him. What the hell was the world coming to?
So, yeah, you can choose to look or not.

turtlex
02-11-2010, 06:36 AM
I look at it like this - This is history. This is OUR history. History that has happened in our time, while we experienced it. It's not something we read in a book, or "heard about".

Karen - I don't think there's anything "morbid" about it at all.

I think it's our responsibility to look and know and learn all about it. Every aspect of it.

( Yes, I read the 9/11 Report. Yes, I've read all the conspiracy websites. Yes, I've watched all the documentaries and news specials... frankly, it's the very least I feel I should/can do. )

Brice
02-12-2010, 03:48 AM
That day I watched something like fourteen hours of news straight with no breaks. (since then I've not watched the news once...in fact I avoid any news at all in general) I was having minor visuals by the time I stopped. I've read lots of news, the 9/11 report, and checked out the conspiracy sites and all that. Now I basically don't. I'm actually gonna' go in the opposite direction from Pam's opinion on this one. I don't think it's healthy at all as individuals or as society to focus on something like that. I think us spending alot of time thinking about these things is much worse than not knowing. It's bad for our hearts and "souls", imo. I think the best way to honor those victims of this horrible thing and some of the horrible things we did in response to it and all those other horrible things in the world is to live our lives as happy and carefree as we can and to love each other as much as possible. Life's too short and any truth as to what happened and why is meaningless or at least obfuscated to the point where it might as well be. In fact whys usually are. And if our goal isn't to understand why then it merely becomes a sick sad morbid curiosity which'll begin to eat at all that we are. If there was some way of finding a "real" why I'd be all for it, but only so people could move past it.

turtlex
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Brice - I do agree about how it can be bad for our "hearts and souls"... because it does hit me, and hit me very hard at times. I fight that by not turning away though.

And, as always, you make very valid points. :grouphug:

ChristineB
02-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm with Brice here.

By focusing on the bad things we bring about more of those things. I know it happened and I am not saying we should forget it happened all together, but we don't need 12 ariel photos of it much less 2700 of them.

We are beating a dead horse here. I see this as just some news group trying to get more ratings out of a horrible event, since for the most part this kind of stuff sells, people are morbid beings (on the whole) that's why the news tells us about all the bad things happenning the vast majority of the time. If they did the right thing and focused on the good in the world (they think) no one would watch, I know I would then, but as it is now I don't, too much negativity for me.

Woofer
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I look at it like this - This is history. This is OUR history. History that has happened in our time, while we experienced it. It's not something we read in a book, or "heard about".

Karen - I don't think there's anything "morbid" about it at all.

I think it's our responsibility to look and know and learn all about it. Every aspect of it.

( Yes, I read the 9/11 Report. Yes, I've read all the conspiracy websites. Yes, I've watched all the documentaries and news specials... frankly, it's the very least I feel I should/can do. )

That day I watched something like fourteen hours of news straight with no breaks. (since then I've not watched the news once...in fact I avoid any news at all in general) I was having minor visuals by the time I stopped. I've read lots of news, the 9/11 report, and checked out the conspiracy sites and all that. Now I basically don't. I'm actually gonna' go in the opposite direction from Pam's opinion on this one. I don't think it's healthy at all as individuals or as society to focus on something like that. I think us spending alot of time thinking about these things is much worse than not knowing. It's bad for our hearts and "souls", imo. I think the best way to honor those victims of this horrible thing and some of the horrible things we did in response to it and all those other horrible things in the world is to live our lives as happy and carefree as we can and to love each other as much as possible. Life's too short and any truth as to what happened and why is meaningless or at least obfuscated to the point where it might as well be. In fact whys usually are. And if our goal isn't to understand why then it merely becomes a sick sad morbid curiosity which'll begin to eat at all that we are. If there was some way of finding a "real" why I'd be all for it, but only so people could move past it.

I fall in between these and agree with many points in both. I think we do have to remember, and I believe we have an obligation to never forget. The United States is quite fortunate to have had very little of the true horrors of war on its own soil, so this is something that can/should/does illustrate it quite tangibly. By this, of course, I hope we can move closer to understanding and respecting each other and learn that living in peace is better than constant fighting.

Naturally I'm not so deluded as to actually believe that will happen, but I can hope.

turtlex
02-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm with Brice here.

By focusing on the bad things we bring about more of those things. I know it happened and I am not saying we should forget it happened all together, but we don't need 12 ariel photos of it much less 2700 of them.

We are beating a dead horse here. I see this as just some news group trying to get more ratings out of a horrible event, since for the most part this kind of stuff sells, people are morbid beings (on the whole) that's why the news tells us about all the bad things happenning the vast majority of the time. If they did the right thing and focused on the good in the world (they think) no one would watch, I know I would then, but as it is now I don't, too much negativity for me.

Oh, maybe I wasn't completely clear, because no way do I focus on only the bad and the horrible things that happened that day. Each photo, each reminder brings it all back ... including the way everyone came together, the way the first responders ran TOWARDS the problem and fear and not away from it, the way people looked out for one another. It's both pieces of the puzzle that make it history.

alinda
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
"Naturally I'm not so deluded as to actually believe that will happen, but I can hope."

I know for fact that it will happen, when I will not say
yet....but humans must evolve past this archacic phase
of their lives, and most assuredly will.In the meantime the truth
of this particular act of war along with countless others all over
our planet must be considered, and if possible used as a reminder
of the horrors of what can happen when we judge eachother.:rose:

Woofer
02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
alinda and turtlex: :huglove:

alinda: I really hope you're right, but I'm afraid that we, as a species, are headed in the direction of Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

Narrator: As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

Brice
02-14-2010, 06:08 AM
I do not think we're evolving anymore. On the whole as a species I think we're maybe devolving. I'd like to believe otherwise..and I do have some hope though.

turtlex
02-14-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm with Brice on the evolving thing. When was the last time we "moved forward" as a race?

Damn, people are as bigoted today as they were yesterday. Yes, individuals can strive to be a better person, but as a whole ... it's rather depressing.

Brice
02-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Meh....can't let it get to ya'. There are some truly awesome individuals out there and maybe just maybe I'm entirely wrong in my assesment.

Imagine that! :P

Woofer
02-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Ah, but evolution doesn't necessarily imply advances forward, merely advances that help the species.

ev⋅o⋅lu⋅tion or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ [ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-]
Biology. Change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

If the majority of the intelligent members of a species do not procreate but the least intelligent breed like puppy mill, then we evolve toward stupidity.

Sherman, set the way back machine for Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

John_and_Yoko
02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Feels more like stagnation than "devolution" (which doesn't exist) to me. We're still designed for a far more primitive lifestyle than we live, because of civilization and technology--we're adapting our surroundings to suit us instead of the other way around.

I just hope we won't have to worry about some global disaster to be the kick in the pants our species needs....

alinda
02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Ah, but evolution doesn't necessarily imply advances forward, merely advances that help the species.

ev⋅o⋅lu⋅tion or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ [ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-]
Biology. Change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

If the majority of the intelligent members of a species do not procreate but the least intelligent breed like puppy mill, then we evolve toward stupidity.

Sherman, set the way back machine for Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/).

*wink* Have you ever wondered how ancient civilazations managed with out
the technology we have today to be so "advanced" they could do the things they did?:orely: I believe we will invent our way back to a place we are no longer served by the technology we are abusing now.

Patrick
02-14-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm with Brice on the evolving thing. When was the last time we "moved forward" as a race?

Damn, people are as bigoted today as they were yesterday. Yes, individuals can strive to be a better person, but as a whole ... it's rather depressing.
While we still have a long way to go in terms of bigotry, I disagree with your assertion that there has been no progress from even our recent past.

alinda
02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Its (imo ) more sutle, an evolution in our very souls
mayhap on a celular level ( do you remember things
you shouldnt?) :ninja:

turtlex
02-14-2010, 12:52 PM

While we still have a long way to go in terms of bigotry, I disagree with your assertion that there has been no progress from even our recent past.

I can, and do, respect that, Patrick.

I just have a hard time seeing it, I guess.

Brice
02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I see it. I just don't think prejudices and discrimination are things one should need to move away from gradually. I think it's simple to realize people should be treated the same.

Jon
02-14-2010, 09:16 PM
As to evolution...we need to consider micro evolution. It is happening. Look at the size of a given lineman in football 30 years...even 10 years ago compared to today. I know that is physical and not mental but...

As to history..I choose to dwell on good things in my history; such as the fall of the Berliner Mauer (Berlin Wall.)

That was a huge event for humanity!