PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in the Dark Tower (Crimson King & More)

kafkaesque12
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Christmas plays an interesting role in book seven, and it's something that I have not been able to completely get my head around. I included some thoughts on it below and I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

At the end of her journey, Susannah willingly rejects the Dark Tower's call, understanding at some level that the tower is not meant to be climbed. She is rewarded by crossing through a door into Christmas time in NYC with her greatest friends. Once there, Eddie even rewards her with a "Merry Christmas" hat. Why Christmas? First, there is the religious aspect to the holiday; I'm not yet sure what to make of that, although there could be some interesting ideas there. But, most interestingly to me, Christmas represents a time spent with family. You make amends for any transgressions over the past year and you enjoy each other's company. You give yourself to your family and your family gives themselves back to you.

Roland's fate was not a Christmas celebration with his ka-tet in NYC. Instead he ends up facing his natural enemy, the Crimson King. The goals of these two beings obviously conflict. Roland wants the tower to stand so that he may see what is at the top. His motivation is not entirely altruistic; rather, acquiring the knowledge of what is at the top is most important to him. The fate of the universe is secondary to his ultimate goal.

In contrast, the Crimson King wants this tower to crumble so that the universe will fall into a state of chaos, over which he may rule. Just like Roland, he is searching for power. Roland wants the power of knowledge, and the Crimson King wants the power of a universal dictatorship created by ignorance (no one can know the higher truth of the tower once it falls) and chaos.

Why then does Roland's rival look like Santa Claus? The description of the man is directly linked to Saint Nick. The bringer of Christmas is here to stop Roland from continuing his journey. In King's other works, the Crimson King has been said to take other shapes, but here at the end of Roland's journey, he is in the form of Father Christmas.

I think this is the tower's final hint to Roland. It makes the last obstacle a clear symbol of Christmas, which represents family, or to put it in Roland's words, it represents ka-tet. His whole journey he has been battling against his friends and family in order to reach this tower. He cares for people, yet they regularly end up dead in the wake of his journey. Here is his last chance to recognize that the journey is over. He does not have to go to the top of the tower, a place where no man belongs.

At this point, he has one companion left that he may save: Patrick. Instead, he chooses to send the boy back to Odd Lane alone. He barely even needs to think about it. Whether or not Patrick lives or dies on his journey back never crosses his mind. I think after defeating the Crimson King, it is Roland's true destiny to see Patrick back safely. This boy eliminated the Crimson King from Roland's beloved tower, but once he has performed his duty, he is useless to Roland.

This is Roland's last chance to put someone else's safety before his own goals, just like the other heroes of the story did (Jake and Oy, in particular). If Roland sees Patrick to safety, and can be satisfied knowing that the tower is safe, he has his redemption. The loop will finally come to a close. If only he had recognized the Christmas symbol for what it was. I also can't help but wonder what Eddie or any of the others from America-side would have said if they saw the Crimson King in his form reminiscent of Santa Claus.

flaggwalkstheline
02-08-2010, 09:04 AM
I had never thought of the crimson king's resemblance to santa before:wtf:
very interesting...

Letti
02-15-2010, 05:28 AM
I also can't help but wonder what Eddie or any of the others from America-side would have said if they saw the Crimson King in his form reminiscent of Santa Claus.

Altought it's a very very interesting idea I don't think any of then would have caught this association.

kafkaesque12
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Altought it's a very very interesting idea I don't think any of then would have caught this association.

Yeah, I don't think their association would have went further then Eddie potentially quipping some humorous comment about it. Maybe afterward they may have thought more about it.

I went back to the book to find the line that made me think this originally. In the fourth sub-chapter of the third chapter of "The Scarlet Field of Can'-Ka No Rey" (page 785 in my copy) there is a line in that makes me think they may have recognized him as being similar to Santa Claus:

The Crimson King almost jumped at him, and for once in his life Roland saw exactly what he had imagined: an old man with an enormous nose, hooked and waxy; red lips that bloomed in the snow of a luxuriant beard; snowy hair that spilled down the Crimson King's back almost all the way to his scrawny bottom. His pink-flushed face peered toward the pilgrims. The King wore a robe of brilliant red, dotted here and about with lightning strokes and cabalistic symbols. To Susannah, Eddie, and Jake, he would have looked like Father Christmas. To Roland he looked like what he was: Hell, incarnate.