• 2: Only so-so

1 2.27%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never Read

1 2.27%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #1: 'Salem's Lot (1975)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #1: 'Salem's Lot (1975)

'Salem's Lot, 1975

Please vote for 'Salem's Lot using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of King's best works.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree i thoroughly enjoyed it and found it pretty scary too.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i too loved it, i think this one is a cert to go through

Gunslinger Apprentice Solar is on a distinguished road Solar's Avatar

King's best book IMO

Along the Path of the Beam vacant lot is on a distinguished road vacant lot's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent read. Held you captive.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. Loved it.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one was the bracket winner the last time. Looks like it's shaping up to do this same this year

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'm thinking I should read this.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm the only one that voted never read apparently. I feel so guilty!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm the only one that voted never read apparently. I feel so guilty!

Oh Lord, I so wish you could turn the clock back and read it before you read DT5!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great book. 5 for sure.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Oh Lord, I so wish you could turn the clock back and read it before you read DT5!
    That's what I ended up doing when I first saw that Callahan was in The Wolves of the Calla. I dropped it and picked up 'Salem's Lot, and you know what? 'Salem's Lot is now one of my favorite books! I absolutely love that story. Almost as much as The Dark Tower series, to be completely honest.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. So popular! Will I be booed down for saying that I really don't think it's all that?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I have read this book annually since 1976. Suffice it to say it is my favorite.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Wow. So popular! Will I be booed down for saying that I really don't think it's all that?
    You won't be boo'd, but you'll certainly have to explain yourself!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post

That's what I ended up doing when I first saw that Callahan was in The Wolves of the Calla. I dropped it and picked up 'Salem's Lot, and you know what? 'Salem's Lot is now one of my favorite books! I absolutely love that story. Almost as much as The Dark Tower series, to be completely honest.
    Oh, when you already saw Callahan in DT5 it was too late! Nothing can compare with that feeling of total happiness you would have felt if you just had stumbled upon him, without any notice! It's an experience that is hardly possible now, because too many years have passed since DT5 was published, and everybody kinda knows the layout, whether or not they have read it; but then, at that time, it was like a bomb exploding in your brain, in a good way.

Yes, you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    You won't be boo'd, but you'll certainly have to explain yourself!
    Only please, please, if there's to be any detailed argument, let it take place in 'Salem's Lot thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, when you already saw Callahan in DT5 it was too late! Nothing can compare with that feeling of total happiness you would have felt if you just had stumbled upon him, without any notice! It's an experience that is hardly possible now, because too many years have passed since DT5 was published, and everybody kinda knows the layout, whether or not they have read it; but then, at that time, it was like a bomb exploding in your brain, in a good way.
    It said it at the end of the fourth book and on the back of the fifth book at the bookstore I go to. I had no chance of not knowing

Only please, please, if there's to be any detailed argument, let it take place in 'Salem's Lot thread.
    Not a problem, Jean

Country
    Country Flag

Weird. As of right now, only 38 people voted for 'Salem's Lot. Most other polls have at least twice as many votes ...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I definitely liked Wolves of the Calla.
    Dunno if I really need to make a detailed argument here... if you've read King's new intro in more recent editions, he says that he'd once thought that he could cross Stoker's Dracula with E.C. Comics and produce the Great American Novel. 'Salem's Lot turned out to be a lot more than that, (his talent for depicting communities was emerging) but I still don't think that it's any masterpiece, or even really one of Kings greatest works.
    Nonetheless, I definitely liked Wolves of the Calla.

My Mood
    Amused

Weird. As of right now, only 38 people voted for 'Salem's Lot. Most other polls have at least twice as many votes ...
    Maybe there are others like me who haven't read but don't have the guts to say so in here.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had read this book before reading DTV, but I didn't.

4 - It was good.

Country
    Country Flag

This was maybe the third or fourth King book I read. Scared the jeebus out of me. I read Wolves of the Calla many a year later.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. 'Salem's Lot has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.581395349 or 91.63%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, 'Salem's Lot also placed 2nd with a FAS of 4.292307692, so it gained 0.289087657 (+6.74%) this time.

+ Reply to Thread