Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't understand the debate: should there be a movie or no?

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Don't understand the debate: should there be a movie or no?

I just honestly don't understand this debate so someone's going to have to help me out here.

Yes, it's true I and others would like to see a DT movie made. But I also know there are others who don't. And I just don't understand that.

I can understand getting your hopes up for a movie, going to see it and you're disappointed. But for those who don't want a DT movie, there's no hope at all. So if you're already against a DT adaptation... don't watch it.

I mean, as example, this sounds a lot like the "gay marriage" argument, among other pointless arguments. Wanda Sykes already said what everyone was thinking: "If you don't agree with same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex!"

If you don't want there to be a DT movie... don't go see the DT movie!

I mean, I'll be as nonflaming as I can be here. If someone gives me a good reason on there part I'm willing to understand. Really. I'm just having a problem understanding, so... help me understand. Even if someone says, "I... just don't want it to happen." I won't flame, I won't understand and I might go crosseyed, but I won't flame, honest.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Great, am I safe to assume that you also will not
    when this is merged with the exsisting threads on this topic ?
    Thanks, by the way how have you been?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I don't want one because I do not believe that they would do it justice.

I'm not sure that I understand your animosity, however. It's not as if people who don't want a movie are organizing and threatening King and JJ Abrams. We're just expressing our opinion. That, in no way, compares to same-sex marriage. A more appropriate comparison is this: if you don't like seeing gays on TV, then don't watch shows with gay characters.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

People thought the Lord of the Rings couldn't be made into a movie, and they were obviously wrong. Although there are some people that would disagree. As crazy as that seems to me. To each his own I guess.

I think some people feel that if the movie stinks, then it will ruin the books for them. I've never really understood that, but I guess people are just different.

I'm a very visual person and as much as I love the books, I still would love to see them take a stab at putting it on the silver screen. If it sucks, it sucks.

I also like obsessing over things like this and having something to look forward to.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they want to do it right, they're going to have to go animation. They can do so much more with animation. And I'm not talking this 3d computer crap, I'm talking really good, old-school animation. In appearance, at least. They could use the character designs from the comics.

That's my opinion, anyhow. Then it would just be a matter of finding the right voices.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    To each his own I guess.
    Fixed that - should be a solid statement and no need to guess.

I think some people feel that if the movie stinks, then it will ruin the books for them.
    There are definitely people who feel that way. That's not my reason, but I know some who do feel that way.

I've never really understood that, but I guess people are just different.
    There it is: people are just different. You don't have to understand; just don't criticize. Nobody likes to be told that his/her opinion or feeling is wrong, and who are we to judge anyone else's opinion/feeling on it?

BTW, I think that PJ did a good job of sticking to the spirit of LotR, but there were some very pointed changes to the story that were a betrayal to the original, e.g., Faramir in the novel would've been appalled by Faramir in the movie.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't criticizing and I never said anybody's opinion or feeling was wrong.

I'm not sure what/who you were referring to.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I can give an "on the other hand" here.

A good reason that I would have trouble arguing against is that we here at this fan website love the books so much that we want others to enjoy them as well. And we'd want them to enjoy it as it is. And if there's an adaptation that's horrible or even an adaptation that's somewhat good, but only ammounts to popcorn fluff, it might turn others off to actually picking up the books to read.

It's really a gamble. Because you may or may not get someone as dedicate to the series as Peter Jackson was to LotR. Someone who loves the series so much that even if they change things in the movie version, even if it's a lot (and there was quite a bit of change in the LotR adaptations), it simply fits and doesn't seem irreverant to the source material.

I never read Lord of the Rings before the movies came out, my dad would read them over and over again, and reading something my dad reads didn't really peak my interest (he also loved to read Michael Crichton a lot, before I picked up Jurassic Park and started my own Crichton craze). Then when Fellowship came out I just had to pick them up.

It might be a good movie(s). But DT fans aren't looking for a "good movie", we're looking for something that will wow the crap off us and make this forum explode with new fans saying, "Holy crap! I only know Stephen King as some guy who wrote about crazy canines and red rum and touching prison stories, but nothing as epic as this!"

Of course that's also something of a turn off. Other DT fans may not want a movie made because they don't want the troll kingdom to invade our elite castle: "0MG! DT IS TEH ROCKSORZ!!1!1!11!!!!! R0L4ND PWNS!@!!!"

I can understand that fear as well.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post
    Other DT fans may not want a movie made because they don't want the troll kingdom to invade our elite castle: "0MG! DT IS TEH ROCKSORZ!!1!1!11!!!!! R0L4ND PWNS!@!!!"

I can understand that fear as well.
    Now I have a new worry.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Movie, no, tv series, yes.

Movie would end up taking away from the characters because you wouldn't have enough time to develop them, and their interactions. Tv series, my god yes.

But if there is a movie I will see it. I'm too much of a movie fan not to, and too much of a tower junkie not to.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post

Movie would end up taking away from the characters because you wouldn't have enough time to develop them, and their interactions. Tv series, my god yes.

But if there is a movie I will see it. I'm too much of a movie fan not to, and too much of a tower junkie not to.
    I've heard that answer to my original argument as well. And that one pretty much ends it. Example was Star Trek.

Guy I was talking to said he didn't like what Abrams was doing to the new movie and that he knew it would pretty much suck.

And I said, "So... don't watch it then."

He said, "I'm too much of a Trekkie. It's inevitable."

Maybe a good analogy is Roland himself. He knows nothing good awaits him at the tower but he keeps going anyway.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I wouldn't mind a movie that wasn't a 100% word for word adaptation if it captured at least the spirit of the original. If the filmmaker's knew exactly what they were doing and knew how to treat it just right for both the film audience for at least 50% of us fans, I wouldn't mind that at all, and if it was successful then I'm all for it!

But here's the thing: sometimes, a bad adaptation can have a significant effect on the original source. People who might love the Dark Tower books and would consider reading them might be put off if the film they see is a cheesy cliched family flick that has Roland as a grumpy old man who slowly learns how to enjoy life, falls in love, and has a happy ever after ending (rated PG-13).

Which sounds so bad it surely can't happen, but trust me, it has happened before, and it definitely had an effect on any potential readership too. I am of course referring to the Judge Dredd movie. The comics are dark and mature in tone, which portrays the main character as both a hero and a villain, and is full to the brim with satire. The film was a cheesy generic action flick that was panned by critics and was generally considered a flop. Worse still, most people who saw it and hated it would undoubtedly think that the comics would be just as shit too. If the film was made right, it might have made the american readership just that little bit bigger, which i certainly wouldn't have any complaints about. But it was shit, and with the comic being mostly unknown in the US, the potential readership over there, of anyone who liked their comics mature, dark, and just allround full to the brim with violence, was decreased significantly.

Which brings me back to my original point. Some book series will always be multi million selling classics whether movies are made of them or not. The Lord of the Rings is the perfect example of this: as great as the films were, the books would've still continued to sell millions of copies whether the movies were successful or not. Oh, the book sales must've increased in the short term when the films were released, certainly, but considering these were three books that were coming up top on a LOT of "Greatest Books Ever" lists, long before Peter Jackson even started any kind of work on the film at all, long term wise the films really didn't matter in relation to the books.

However, the Dark Tower is something else altogether. Let's be honest: as brilliant as these books are, as loved as they are by most people who read them, they're still mostly unknown. At the very least, they're not nearly as recogniseable as some of King's other works: The Stand, IT, 'Salem's Lot. If a bad adaptation does get made - and I don't mean bad adaptation as in, "WTF?!? They completely changed the ending of the Waste Lands!!! (but the rest of it was good!)", but bad adaptation as in, "Starring Rob Schneider as Roland! (Rated PG-13)", then any chance of our favourite books being recognised for the awesome works of art that they are will be ruined forever. That's what I'm afraid of, at the least. If the movies do get made, it will have to be done right. Then, when people see it, realise how awesome it is and log onto here for the first time, we can point and laugh at the ones that only knew the movies!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post

I've heard that answer to my original argument as well. And that one pretty much ends it. Example was Star Trek.

Guy I was talking to said he didn't like what Abrams was doing to the new movie and that he knew it would pretty much suck.

And I said, "So... don't watch it then."

He said, "I'm too much of a Trekkie. It's inevitable."

Maybe a good analogy is Roland himself. He knows nothing good awaits him at the tower but he keeps going anyway.
    Yeah. I'd have to see it. Freewill my ass.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

no movie... no TV show... no commercials for a movie or TV show... no casting of any actors for a movie or TV show... no series premieres... no debut weekends... no no no NO NO NO!

just let it lie
    Spoiler:
    or loop, i suppose
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What Odetta said.

Nothing would ruin the book for me, and I hope (although, alas, I am old enough to know otherwise) people who've never read it won't judge it by the movie; but I hate to think someone will even try to hollywood-butcher it, just as I hate it when someone speaks ill of something I love or throws mud on something that is dear to me. It will never touch the object itself, or my attitude; but seeing it done is just - well, unpleasant.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    no movie... no TV show... no commercials for a movie or TV show... no casting of any actors for a movie or TV show... no series premieres... no debut weekends... no no no NO NO NO!

just let it lie
    Spoiler:
    or loop, i suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    What Odetta said.

Nothing would ruin the book for me, and I hope (although, alas, I am old enough to know otherwise) people who've never read it won't judge it by the movie; but I hate to think someone will even try to hollywood-butcher it, just as I hate it when someone speaks ill of something I love or throws mud on something that is dear to me. It will never touch the object itself, or my attitude; but seeing it done is just - well, unpleasant.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler jwill is on a distinguished road jwill's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let them take all the time they want on it then maybe it wont turn out as bad as the rest of the sk movies (not including mist,shining,and greenmile)

oh yeah i liked silver bullet but i think it was just because i was a kid, and 1408 was at least a "major motion picture"

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

just let it lie
    Spoiler:
    or loop, i suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    What Odetta said.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a very visual person and as much as I love the books, I still would love to see them take a stab at putting it on the silver screen. If it sucks, it sucks.
    I agree i would be interested in seeing someones interpretation and I love films. So yeah, I wouldn't mind. like you say if it sucks it sucks!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jwill View Post
    Let them take all the time they want on it then maybe it wont turn out as bad as the rest of the sk movies (not including mist,shining,and greenmile)

oh yeah i liked silver bullet but i think it was just because i was a kid, and 1408 was at least a "major motion picture"
    Yeah seeing what they've done to King's other books is something else that gives me pause.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

<< off topic>> I have been staring at this for some time now
    trying to decipher whats being said by these 2 mouths..
    Yes, it is silly of me , but do you know?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    << off topic>> I have been staring at this for some time now
    trying to decipher whats being said by these 2 mouths..
    Yes, it is silly of me , but do you know?
    I don't know, I just found it somewhere just to put in my sig until I make my own in photoshop. I thought it looked hipnotizing so I fired it up and threw it at my sig.

In any case I'm going with these possibilities:

"YOU LIKE ME?"
    "YOU AND ME"
    "DON'T HIT ME!"
    "SO HAPPY"
    "YOU HIPPY!"
    "GRAB IT"
    "WHITE MEAT"

Make a caption

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I just honestly don't understand this debate so someone's going to have to help me out here.

Yes, it's true I and others would like to see a DT movie made. But I also know there are others who don't. And I just don't understand that.

I can understand getting your hopes up for a movie, going to see it and you're disappointed. But for those who don't want a DT movie, there's no hope at all. So if you're already against a DT adaptation... don't watch it.

I mean, as example, this sounds a lot like the "gay marriage" argument, among other pointless arguments. Wanda Sykes already said what everyone was thinking: "If you don't agree with same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex!"

If you don't want there to be a DT movie... don't go see the DT movie!

I mean, I'll be as nonflaming as I can be here. If someone gives me a good reason on there part I'm willing to understand. Really. I'm just having a problem understanding, so... help me understand. Even if someone says, "I... just don't want it to happen." I won't flame, I won't understand and I might go crosseyed, but I won't flame, honest.
    Yes. I agree! All these "people" not wanting a DT movie are just haters! Haters to a one! They probably pulled the legs off of flies as children! They'll burn hell too. Their flesh will melt in Satan's lake of FIRE!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe the odds of someone doing a good job of it are slim. I expect abysmal failure from almost any director. I just don't think we'd get anything better than a mediocre film and we'd be lucky to get that. There are lots of good filmmakers out there, there are few great ones. I guess I'd just prefer no movie to even a good one. This needs to just be amazing and I don't know that it can be. I suspect not. Honestly I guess it doesn't affect me though because if one is made I won't watch it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I believe the odds of someone doing a good job of it are slim. I expect abysmal failure from almost any director. I just don't think we'd get anything better than a mediocre film and we'd be lucky to get that. There are lots of good filmmakers out there, there are few great ones. I guess I'd just prefer no movie to even a good one. This needs to just be amazing and I don't know that it can be. I suspect not. Honestly I guess it doesn't affect me though because if one is made I won't watch it.
    So to sum up your post, you don't want them to make a movie you'd never watch anyway?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast