Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah Carpenter made Michael Myers this mythical unkillable stalker who was patient and smart. Zombie made him this huge brute who just wouldnt die. kinda like Jason. i dont want Jason in a Halloween movie, I want michael.

Though Zombie's did have Danielle Harriss who played Jamie Michael's niece in 4 and 5. gotta give him props for that
    If you love me then love me..

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Yeah Carpenter made Michael Myers this mythical unkillable stalker who was patient and smart. Zombie made him this huge brute who just wouldnt die. kinda like Jason. i dont want Jason in a Halloween movie, I want michael.
    IDK that I’d define Michael as patient or smart. He was just kid that killed his sister and ends up being committed to a mental hospital. Then he somehow breaks out and goes on a random killing spree in his hometown.

I think he’s a lot like Jason since he gets stabbed and shot numerous times yet doesn’t die. He also seems to have super-human strength much like Jason.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Zombie ruined Michael Myers. Instead of being born a demon, an evil person who only wishes to kill and watch and prey...into a kid from a broken home. Wow, way to go rob zombie. Way to humanise a character who was never meant to be humanized.

Also, Laurie being his sister wasn't a part of the original Michael Myers, but a product of whoever made the sequel. And why does explaining = better. Explain Michael Myers is like explaining evil itself. The mystery and the unknown is what made him so creepy.
    Humanizing the killer makes it more believable IMO. A lot of the other horror movies have a killer with some sort of motive.

Jason = revenge for his mother.
    Freddy = revenge against the people that killed him.
    Saw = Jigsaw testing people’s will to live.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard the phrase 'one of my favourite werewolf movies' before.
    Heh. I find it hard to choose a favourite as I tend to like different things about them. (Not just with werewolf films. This applies to many films and TV shows.) I'm very fond of The Howling, Ginger Snaps and Dog Soldiers as well.

Out of The Howling and American Werewolf, I think I prefer the story and the type of werewolves from the former. I loved the humour and undead stuff from the latter. If I had to pick, I guess I'd go with The Howling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I loved Black Sheep! That movie is hilarious. And nothing beats seeing a sheep drive a truck

And yes Drag Me To Hell is excellent. I highly recommend that one.
    I'll probably watch it tonight.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Humanizing the killer makes it more believable IMO. A lot of the other horror movies have a killer with some sort of motive.

Jason = revenge for his mother.
    Freddy = revenge against the people that killed him.
    Saw = Jigsaw testing people’s will to live.
    Don't you think that the fact he just 'IS', is scary enough? I can't imagine anything more terrifying than a person who kills without motive or desire, but more an urge or a tick. It's just something they have to do. Even serial killers often have motive or something connecting their victims. Murdering for NO reason other than you murder is creepy as hell.

IDK that I’d define Michael as patient or smart. He was just kid that killed his sister and ends up being committed to a mental hospital. Then he somehow breaks out and goes on a random killing spree in his hometown.
    The sequels don't count in this discussion. They came from different minds. I'm talking about Carpenter's Myers. In the movie we see him simply watching and stalking his victims for an hour of the film, before he makes his move. I do think that is patient. I wouldn't call Myers smart but very aware of his surroundings AND his target. It's a good chance he waited YEARS for the right chance to escape.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I've never heard the phrase 'one of my favourite werewolf movies' before.
    Heh. I find it hard to choose a favourite as I tend to like different things about them. (Not just with werewolf films. This applies to many films and TV shows.) I'm very fond of The Howling, Ginger Snaps and Dog Soldiers as well.

Out of The Howling and American Werewolf, I think I prefer the story and the type of werewolves from the former. I loved the humour and undead stuff from the latter. If I had to pick, I guess I'd go with The Howling. Most of my favourite monster movies tend to be less defined; cloverfield, pitch black, feast. Stuff like that.
    I just never thought of werewolf movies as a genre itself. I've never been too huge on werewolves, I don't find they have a whole lot to offer in terms of introspection or thoughts on humanity. I've enjoyed a few of them but I wouldn't call any favourites of any kind.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I liked that Zombie added to the character of Michael. And do you not think that he was crazy from the get go. I think Zombie almost enforced that he was never a "normal" person. You saw his crazy tendencies right away, and they just got more extreme, until he had a complete breakdown from reality all together. I don't think his behavior was at all due to his family life, I think he was just born that way.

And Amanda, if you don't like Zombie's other films, I'm worried now that you're not going to like this one. I'd still recommend seeing it anyways. But probably skip the second one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Wait, he did two movies?
    I'm way behind in life.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

2 Halloween ones, yes

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

downloading it right now

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just remembered how much I loved People Under the Stairs as a child... I need to buy it!

Don't you think that the fact he just 'IS', is scary enough?
    No not really. I guess that's where we differ. *shrug*

The sequels don't count in this discussion. They came from different minds. I'm talking about Carpenter's Myers. In the movie we see him simply watching and stalking his victims for an hour of the film, before he makes his move. I do think that is patient. I wouldn't call Myers smart but very aware of his surroundings AND his target. It's a good chance he waited YEARS for the right chance to escape.
    It seemed to me he used the same basic formula as all the other slasher films. Wait until the kids are alone and/or having sex, then kill them.

Just looking at the first film alone, I think it's a little odd that he fixed his attention on that one group of girls for seemingly no reason at all. There was a whole town full of people he could have gone after. I'm glad they actually explained it in the second one.

FWIW, John Carpenter and Debra Hill wrote both of the first two films.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    downloading it right now
    I hope you enjoy it. If like movies like Evil Dead, and that sort of type, then you'll love this one.
    Did you get a chance to watch either of the others yet?

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    I just remembered how much I loved People Under the Stairs as a child... I need to buy it!
    I used to love this movie too. It's been ages since I've last seen it. I saw it on sale (I think on Amazon) the other day, and was debating about picking it up.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just never thought of werewolf movies as a genre itself.
    Strictly speaking I suppose it isn't. The genre would be 'horror'. I just use that terminology to refer to those horror films involving werewolves.

I've never been too huge on werewolves, I don't find they have a whole lot to offer in terms of introspection or thoughts on humanity. I've enjoyed a few of them but I wouldn't call any favourites of any kind.
    Fair enough. To be honest I tend to watch horror films for the thrills and sense of adventure (and a few scares of course... although I don't always like fear) but I think there is a lot to say about the nature of humanity in werewolf films. Certainly morality and duality.

In American Werewolf there's a kid who is haunted by the undead victims that he killed as a beast. He has to deal with the guilt of having to deal with things that, in a sense, aren't his fault. Yet in a sense he is responsible. He could always shoot himself.

Trouble is, he's also having a good time. He's got a hot new girlfriend and he's feeling much more vital and full of beans than he's probably ever felt before. He doesn't want to give that up. It's very much a human morality tale in some ways.

And then there's Ginger Snaps which is a story about growing up, female puberty and taking responsibility. The lycanthropy serves as an allegory in this sense. And again that sense of otherness and loneliness. The two sisters are particularly loners to start with and they have a morbid fascination with death. Ironically when Ginger starts turning, she actually becomes a bit more popular, with the boys at least, but it's never as simple as that. It's very much her sister's story too, and how she deals with her sister 'snapping' and the changes in her own life.

I'll admit, I like werewolf films largely because I like big hairy monsters though, and I'm fond of wolves.* Heh.

Don't you think that the fact he just 'IS', is scary enough?
    I think both ideas work in different way. I think you're right that a one dimensional person who kills just for the sake of killing is downright scary.

A story that goes into the background that humanises the character is scary in a different way as it suggests that, under the right (or rather wrong) circumstances, we might just turn out the same way. I know that's unlikely, as many of us have been through terrible things and we didn't become a murderer, but the point remains, the serial killer isn't so far from us as we would like to think. That's chilling food for thought.

I wouldn't say one route is better than the other though. They're just different. I haven't actually seen the Halloween remake though, so I'm not judging those films specifically. Just airing my thoughts on those particular representations of serial killers.

It seemed to me he used the same basic formula as all the other slasher films. Wait until the kids are alone and/or having sex, then kill them.
    Isn't this hindsight speaking though? Wasn't this one of the first films to do this?

I'll admit, I found Halloween rather boring, although once things started happening it got pretty scary.

*Although they're not really like real wolves like.

Isn't this hindsight speaking though? Wasn't this one of the first films to do this?

I'll admit, I found Halloween rather boring, although once things started happening it got pretty scary.
    Maybe, but my point remains the same. Without the backstory, Michael and Jason are pretty interchangeable IMHO.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Maybe, but my point remains the same. Without the backstory, Michael and Jason are pretty interchangeable IMHO.
    I agree with that. Although Michael seems to take a lot more time.

Actually I suppose Jason does have a bit of history when you take his mother into account (the main character in the first film)... so I suppose bad upbringing was a small factor with him too. He seemed to become something else with later films though...

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I took the plunge and watched Drag Me to Hell last night.

I actually got it for my birthday last March, and although I'd wanted to see it for a while (being a fan of Raimi's Evil Dead films) I'd put it off because I knew there were 'jump' moments and I'm a great big cowardly custard big girl's blouse. Without the sexy contents.

Anyway, I gathered up the courage tonight and.... on one hand I wondered what I had been fussing about. Yes, there are jump moments, but I've realised I've actually become hardened to those things. (Although I was a tad startled here and there.) Also, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great warped tale. Rather sick in a how-many-scenes-can-we-do-where-we-pour-sick-gunk-into-the-pretty-girl's-face-open-wide-honey kind of way, which I'll admit I found amusing.
    Spoiler:
    Real maggots though Mr Raimi? In the mouth? Really?
    And there was quite a bit of Evil Dead 2 style silliness... which I also enjoyed. (I wondered if I would, as my friend gave it a so-so review because of the daftness, but I liked it.

In short, it was great. Roll on Evil Dead 4.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

was going to re-watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari; by mistake downloaded The Cabinet of Caligari (1962). Heather, if you haven't seen it, I recommend it. It has nothing to do with the real one, it's not a remake or anything (the title is only an allusion), it is a very good movie that I fully expect you to like.

Have watched Drag Me to Hell, enjoyed it. There was one really really creepy moment

Spoiler:
    with the goat knocking in the door and the shadows of arms coming from under the door

Thanks Jean, I'll check it out right away. I've seen it before, but just assumed it was a remake of the other one so never gave it much thought.
    And I'm glad you enjoyed Drag Me to Hell

I recently watched Pieces due to the rave review by Eli Roth that someone posted recently Actually I quite enjoyed it, although it's definitely not for everyone! Brice have you seen it? If not I'd recommend checking it out, I think you'd really like it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My friend told my to watch Triangle with Melissa George and it's on Netflix so I'm gonna check it out.

Traveler the dalinean is on a distinguished road

An interesting understated horror movie is "Seconds" starring, of all people, Robert Redford.

Country
    Country Flag

I recently watched Pieces due to the rave review by Eli Roth that someone posted recently Actually I quite enjoyed it, although it's definitely not for everyone! Brice have you seen it? If not I'd recommend checking it out, I think you'd really like it.
    do you think bears might like it?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean have you seen Michael Heneke's Funny Games, either Austrian or American?

Country
    Country Flag

no, not yet. I've seen two movies by Haneke, and so far my interest in him is completely satisfied. I will watch it later, though, if you recommend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast