Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 254 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 ... LastLast
Results 5,526 to 5,550 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The book was difficult to get through. I can't imagine a straight-up adaptation would be all that great. Especially for a wider audience.
    Perhaps but if the reviews are telling the truth would the outcome have been any worse? Maybe the issue is trying to make DT appeal to a wide blockbuster audience in the first place.
    The concept that Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman came up with five years ago was to pull the quest apart into two components. Put the big, epic stuff on the movie screen and reserve the more intimate, character-driven stuff for the small screen TV series. Check out my interview with Goldsman, conducted in 2012.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Maybe the issue is trying to make DT appeal to a wide blockbuster audience in the first place.
    Yes - like trying to make hot dog-flavored ice cream or something.

I know - let's create a cold creamy dessert based on hot dogs for people who don't enjoy tubes of unspecified meat. We'll make millions!

Well, not that bad; making movies from books is hardly new or dangerous. It just might've been an ill-fit.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is not a ringing endorsement. I really hope I like it but based on the early returns I will be bored.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The book was difficult to get through. I can't imagine a straight-up adaptation would be all that great. Especially for a wider audience.
    Maybe the issue is trying to make DT appeal to a wide blockbuster audience in the first place.
    That is and always has been the biggest challenge that this book series faces. It is do-able though. How big were the fan bases for Harry Potter or Game of Thrones or LOTR before the movies/TV shows came out?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Or The Walking Dead for that matter. I think a straight adaption would have worked well and initiated a renewal of interest in the books. Without seeing the movie first my best guess is, based on reviews and my opinion, that this film will not inspire many people to search out the books.

I hope I'm wrong because the books are amazing (even the last one) and should be appreciated by a much larger audience.

That is and always has been the biggest challenge that this book series faces. It is do-able though. How big were the fan bases for Harry Potter or Game of Thrones or LOTR before the movies/TV shows came out?

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Im so glad The Last of Us movie fell through. Sony would of messed that one up too.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The concept that Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman came up with five years ago was to pull the quest apart into two components. Put the big, epic stuff on the movie screen and reserve the more intimate, character-driven stuff for the small screen TV series
    In theory, this should work, and work well, but the sad fact is that the whole enterprise might be stillborn due to the first impressions on the first filmed product.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Money cures all ills. Regardless of the quality of the first film, if it makes enough to justify a sequel, the studio will move forward with it. Obviously the comparisons don't line up perfectly, but look at something like Fifty Shades of Gray - mauled by critics, but made so much money they were able to continue with their plans for a sequel.

Now I'm not saying that I'll accept mediocrity from the series, but if the first film makes enough money and the studio learns and improves on everything they did wrong, the franchise is still salvageable.

Let's see...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BuctherOfTull View Post
    How well do you guys think this will do at the Box Office? I predict 35 to 40 mil opening. #2 It wont beat Bojack Batman(Logo Batman)that movie will still be #1.
    It will be lucky to get $15 million. Like a Vegas bookie, I set the over/under at $8.5 million.
    It will be interesting to see if my Vegas money line is accurate.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the saddest day this site has seen since carlosdetweiler left the boards
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Not to mention the impossibility of finding an actor to play young Roland in the flashback scenes and then have that same actor play the part when they get around to making W&G.
    That's one of my concerns with Tom Taylor -- in the press photos from earlier this week, he's almost as tall as Idris Elba. I think he's had a major growth spurt since principal photography!
    I hadn't seen any of the press photos so I had to Google. Holy crap! Major might be an understatement.

If they do another one, I can see a time jump happening.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

Entertaining discussion. I don't believe I heard any big spoilers.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

‘The Dark Tower’: What you see is what you get

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article...t-11731478.php

Ouch!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic review, Bev. I appreciated the honest perception of a fan of the books who also didn't freak out to the nth degree that it wasn't a word-for-word, page-by-page adaptation. You made me excited for the movie again. I don't think I'm going to read any other reviews, since I have a feeling they're negative and whiny.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

At the moment, I've got two things I'm reading reviews of because I'm going to see or hear them myself soon: DT, and a new album. The experiences couldn't be more different; the album is generating rave reviews, and the DT movie, well...

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Fantastic review, Bev. I appreciated the honest perception of a fan of the books who also didn't freak out to the nth degree that it wasn't a word-for-word, page-by-page adaptation. You made me excited for the movie again. I don't think I'm going to read any other reviews, since I have a feeling they're negative and whiny.
    Who expected a word for word page by page adaptation?

It is kind of funny that if you haven't read the books and dislike this movie it doesn't count because you haven't read the books. And if you have read them and dislike it, well you're a negative whiner.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

I don't think I've seen one bad review from a fan where the person freaked out because it wasn't a word-for-word, page-by-page adaptation. Most say they would've embraced that, but it's just that a bland, gutted adaptation that goes against The Dark Tower in many ways.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post

Dialogue between a huge fan of the books and someone who hasn't read them, both of them have been anticipating the film on their youtube channel for months.
    This review was really interesting. Even though one has read the books and one hasn't, they both mentioned the same problems with the movie. There were a lot of things in it that simply didn't make sense or weren't explained enough and that it felt rushed and probably should have been at least 30 minutes longer.

I also watched their spoiler review and a couple of the things they mention really have me concerned for this movie franchise going forward.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 254 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 ... LastLast