Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 213 of 262 FirstFirst ... 113 163 203 211 212 213 214 215 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    My only comment on all this is the recommendation that improper use of "remark" versus "remarque" by any user should be a punishable offense. Might I suggest flagellation. Well ... self-flagellation; it'll have to be on the honor system. Get to it. P.S. Very disappointed we don't have a flagellation smiley.
    You are fighting a losing battle. The term "remarque" (even if properly spelled) is used incorrectly on this site over 90% of the time. I have tried to make this point quite a few times and you can see how successful I have been. Good luck with your efforts!
    Language is fluid. I think at this point that the definition of remarque has been expanded beyond its original meaning.
    I guess so. The problem I have (and, obviously it is only me who has this problem) is that artists (and sometimes authors) have been drawing in books for centuries. Over the years they have been called just that......drawings. Another term used was convention sketches. I think the term remarque started to be mistakenly applied to drawings in books by the Whelans (probably Audrey). For quite a while the Whelans at their Glass Onion website offered AP (artist proof) lithographs of the DT drawings. I was lucky enough to get #3 of all the DT lithographs that had proofs. There were usually 35 of these AP editions with sketches but for some reason only 9 AP copies of The Crimson King. Audrey had Michael do a little pencil sketch in the lower margin of these AP prints and she called them remarques. This is actually close to the true meaning of the word but still, IMO, is improper usage. A remarque is actually not hand drawn but is an image imbedded in the lithographic plate. The remarque is then removed at some point in the printing process and later prints do not have the remarque. The ones with remarques are usually more desirable than ones without.

As far as I can tell this all changed with the publication of DT7 in 2004. I am going by memory here and I'm sure I don't have the numbers exactly correct but, IIRC, the Whelans were given 10 or so copies of the Artist Edition of the Grant edition of DT7 and they offered them for sale on their website at $450 apiece. They sold out immediately because they were all going to have a full page "remarque" at the front of the book. There actually ended up being more copies with these drawings than originally offered. Audrey contacted me and at least one other collector and asked if we would send them our copy of the book for Michael to draw in rather than buying one of their few copies. This would allow them to sell more copies to more collectors. I'm sure someone knows how many were actually done.

This created quite a stir in the King collecting community. Audrey said she should have charged much more for these if she had known how popular they were going to be. I think they sold out in an hour or two and there really wasn't any advertising done. I don't remember how we initially heard about it. One collector (wizardsrainbow) publicly stated that his goal was to buy the entire series of these and lamented to me (on more than one occasion) that he knew it was fruitless because I would never sell my copy. At any rate the so called "remarqued" edition of DT7 became quite the phenomenon and (I think) planted the term in King collector's minds that drawings in books should be called remarques. And now it seems forever after that any drawing no matter how primitive or detailed is referred to as a remarque in the King collecting community.

I do understand the phenomenon of fluidity in language and, I suppose, it is possible or even likely that the misuse of the term could become universal. As it stands now the only time I see the term misused is among King collectors and booksellers and publishers who make their living primarily selling to King collectors.

But this isn't the worst misuse of language I am starting to see. There is a guy on another website that I frequent who continually refers to entitled and pampered athletes as "Pre-Madonnas" and the shocking thing is that it seems to be catching on!

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

here you go Glen a picture of the proof next to Salem's Lot to show size difference and a picture of the proof by itself.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any chance to get a closer look so that we can drool on our keyboard?
    Is the page on the cover attached / glued to it?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

"There is a guy on another website that I frequent who continually refers to entitled and pampered athletes as "Pre-Madonnas" and the shocking thing is that it seems to be catching on!"

This made my day. --I assume it is in reference to those who started and formulated their activities prior to Madonna's, as opposed to those who started after and were influenced by her?

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Jeremy front cover sheet is still in place from original glue.

I do understand the phenomenon of fluidity in language and, I suppose, it is possible or even likely that the misuse of the term could become universal. As it stands now the only time I see the term misused is among King collectors and booksellers and publishers who make their living primarily selling to King collectors.
    Yes, it's kind of an endless circle now, unfortunately. In our case, everyone who asks us if it would be possible for an artist to draw in their book has called it a "remarque," so to keep things simple when we offer this upgrade/option/service for a book, that's what we call it.

You've presented a very accurate history of "how" this term has come to be used in the King community that reflects my memory of the events as well.

But this isn't the worst misuse of language I am starting to see. There is a guy on another website that I frequent who continually refers to entitled and pampered athletes as "Pre-Madonnas" and the shocking thing is that it seems to be catching on!
    Oh wow... I love that!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Quote Originally Posted by mkberger View Post
    "There is a guy on another website that I frequent who continually refers to entitled and pampered athletes as "Pre-Madonnas" and the shocking thing is that it seems to be catching on!"

This made my day. --I assume it is in reference to those who started and formulated their activities prior to Madonna's, as opposed to those who started after and were influenced by her?
    Absolutely, has to be... ha!
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Absolutely, we need close-ups... many, many close-ups!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    here you go Glen a picture of the proof next to Salem's Lot to show size difference and a picture of the proof by itself.

Awesome! Congratulations!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    First off I was the first and second buyer. The listing which had no bids clearly stated in the description in enlarged bold lettering "offers welcome", at which point I sent an offer they were happy to accept at which time I hit buy it now which was followed by a screen to then click commit to buy stating that I was entering a legal binding contract and was responsible for payment which I made immediately. I was then thanked for shopping at their eBay store for the purchase I made.* A couple hours later I was informed they were canceling due to someone wanted to pay a higher price.* This was done by phone call and email by collectors that wanted the item and offered more.* The first phone interaction/conversation* was when I contacted the seller at a reasonable time the following morning.* We spoke for quite awhile about the proof and other things.* I was asked to call back at a specific time which I did.* Before the first conversation I talked to ebay.* Canceling for a higher amount is not an appropriate reason ebay confirmed.* I was told I could leave negative feedback and due to the high amount of the item I could press the issue to seller possibly not being able to continue selling.* I was also told that yes it was a legally binding contract that had been breached and they had a department to help in pursuit.* These are things I did not want to pursue as I only wanted the item I had paid for.* EBay suggested contacting the seller and try to work it out, this is the option I chose.* Over 30 collectors of such high morals tried to buy it out from under me.* Collector here then suggested the item be reported stolen, misplaced or lost and then sell it to them under the table.* As not impressed by this and the* couple high end collectors idea they were told that they were either selling the proof to me or keeping it for themselves. Finally we came to an agreed upon amount as selling to anyone else seller said would be against there principles.* The seller and I had a very pleasant and lengthy conversation.* I was told that in the end they were happy it was going to me and they/seller asked if it would be OK to increase the shipping cost because a gift was being sent as well and would cost extra in shipping.* With the transaction ending with both parties satisfied.* The seller truly is a stand-up person!* The seller surprised me by including a generous gift and an invitation to stop by and visit next time I was in the area.* Also employee still has his job.

ATTENTION MFFC MEMBERS:
    The MFFC Newsletter for February will be sent out on the 1st so keep an eye on your inbox, members will want to be on there toes as the gifts will be going in order of first to respond.* Glenn and RF* as my first and second in command will be handling all future questions and dispersing of monthly gifts.

I wish ALL members only the best
    Thanks for the explanation! But I'm really pissed off that you didn't mention me in your MFFC as one proof provider.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Yes, it's kind of an endless circle now, unfortunately. In our case, everyone who asks us if it would be possible for an artist to draw in their book has called it a "remarque," so to keep things simple when we offer this upgrade/option/service for a book, that's what we call it.

You've presented a very accurate history of "how" this term has come to be used in the King community that reflects my memory of the events as well.
    It looks like we are stuck with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Oh wow... I love that!

Brian
    Now that's funny!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I would say that US proofs of END OF WATCH will probably start to popup within a month or so, no?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I would say that US proofs of END OF WATCH will probably start to popup within a month or so, no?
    I think so. I expect to hear from my contact soon.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Added Jeff's unbound color proofs of CD's Full Dark, No Stars, IT and Carrie to the listing.

John

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Added Jeff's unbound color proofs of CD's Full Dark, No Stars, IT and Carrie to the listing.

John
    Thanks, John! Nice to see them on the proof list.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Thanks, John! Nice to see them on the proof list.

John

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

And so the hope of ever completing a full set of FDNS proofs slips one step further away. *sigh*
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

And so the hope of ever completing a full set of FDNS proofs slips one step further away. *sigh*
    I hear that. Time for us to throw in the towel George.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No shit, right? I was actually under the delusion for a little while that it was possible. Fahgettaboudit.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No shit, right? I was actually under the delusion for a little while that it was possible. Fahgettaboudit.
    I feel bad somewhat. First the black tape, now the color proof. Trust me, I know how you guys feel when it comes to so many other King proof quests. So many I will never be able to complete too. Appreciate each of your nice comments on my collection thread. Thanks, guys!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel bad somewhat. First the black tape, now the color proof. Trust me, I know how you guys feel when it comes to so many other King proof quests. So many I will never be able to complete too. Appreciate each of your nice comments on my collection thread. Thanks, guys!
    Here, I'll make you feel better. I don't think you have those, or at least I didn't see them in your picture of DT proofs. If you do have them, then please continue to feel bad.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Paul You're right, I don't have those and The Dark Tower one is especially hard to find. I've got to slow down on feeding my addiction or I'm going to have to find a second job, give up my girlfriend and trade in my car on a Yugo.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Paul You're right, I don't have those and The Dark Tower one is especially hard to find. I've got to slow down on feeding my addiction or I'm going to have to find a second job, give up my girlfriend and trade in my car on a Yugo.
    Find a second job...
    Don't worry about dumping the girlfriend, she'll dump you when she realizes that you'd rather hold a 1st 1st 'Salem's Lot with folded DJ, than her hand...
    Yugos leak, keep your car if rain/moisture doesn't seep in...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 213 of 262 FirstFirst ... 113 163 203 211 212 213 214 215 223 ... LastLast