Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers on HBO

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Leftovers on HBO

I searched for a dedicated thread and couldn't find one so, if there is one already please merge.

Is anyone watching this show? Do you have any thoughts, theories or, complaints?

I'm into season two and really feel it's time they gave us a few answers or at least a little more clarification/content at this point. I'm beginning to feel like they are making it up as they go and the fact that, Lindeloff is a writer doesn't help me at all!!

I mean at this point in the show shouldn't there be a little more to go on? There seem to be multiple story threads/lines with no tie ins and ever more questions just like that show that shall remain nameless for now. LOL Don't get me wrong it is well done, good acting and very intriguing, but I find it very difficult to even really speculate very much and it's in it's second season!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoy the show. Im a big fan of Magical Realism in film and Literature so this show is right up my alley. I love the fact that it is highly symbolic and doesnt spell out exactly what is going on. You have to figure it out for yourself, and multiple interpretations might even be true. The show evokes a sense of wonder in me and strongly resonates with questions and ideas about what is, faith, religion, belief. I feel the aim of the show is secular, but i find a lot of Christian resonance in the show. Or at least I think I do. I dont profess to know what is going on or to be able to decipher it any better than the next guy, but Im having fun trying.

I have checked out the original novel from the library and will read it soon. Im intrigued to see what the book is like (as compared to the HBO adaptation).

Im glad that HBO is giving shows like this a chance.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Don't come to this show expecting any answers -- the event will almost certainly never be explained. The show is an exploration of the way people react to something mind-boggling. It's pretty bleak, but fascinating. I think it's exceptionally well done. I even like the new theme music! The Matt-centric episode this week was brilliant. (I was also reminded of King's "Morality" at one point...)

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Iris DeMent is awesome.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Don't come to this show expecting any answers -- the event will almost certainly never be explained. The show is an exploration of the way people react to something mind-boggling. It's pretty bleak, but fascinating. I think it's exceptionally well done. I even like the new theme music! The Matt-centric episode this week was brilliant. (I was also reminded of King's "Morality" at one point...)
    This is exactly what I was going to say. The show is not supposed to be about what caused the event and is really about how the people that were left behind deal with it. It's a brilliant show and I doubt we will ever find out what made it happen but I am sure there will be lots of characters with theories along the way.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to say. The show is not supposed to be about what caused the event and is really about how the people that were left behind deal with it. It's a brilliant show and I doubt we will ever find out what made it happen but I am sure there will be lots of characters with theories along the way.
    Okay, but they keep perpetuating the "supernatural/sci fi" aspect of the story. The mystery of the water in miracle (both before and after the 2nd event), the disappearing girls, healing (?), ghosts (?), going crazy (In the family?) and the "Savior" thing with, Wayne and his troupe just to name a few "Mysteries". It's starting to feel an awful lot like "Lost" and I wasn't too pleased with that ending or it's endless unanswered mysteries. Make no mistake, the "mysteries" are beginning to pile up on the show with little or nothing by way of explanation. That just gets frustrating and boring after a while. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole "It's the journey" thing, but at some juncture it becomes lazy story telling and a bit pointless if there isn't an actual "plot/reason" behind at least some of it, no?

Maybe this show is just not for me. I'm, German and therefore very pragmatic I suppose.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ditto. I was about to say the same thing. We will never get concrete answers. I came to that realization pretty early last year. I'm cool with it. The show is all about faith and spirituality. I'm enjoying season 2 way more than season 1. I hope they keep it up.

As for Lost similarities, I don't see it. I don't get the feeling that Leftovers is asking questions to build mythology like Lost was doing. I'm not one of the people that was upset with the lack of Lost answers. I was also satisfied with the ending, but that's for another thread.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Ditto. I was about to say the same thing. We will never get concrete answers. I came to that realization pretty early last year. I'm cool with it. The show is all about faith and spirituality. I'm enjoying season 2 way more than season 1. I hope they keep it up.

As for Lost similarities, I don't see it. I don't get the feeling that Leftovers is asking questions to build mythology like Lost was doing. I'm not one of the people that was upset with the lack of Lost answers. I was also satisfied with the ending, but that's for another thread.
    As I said, maybe I'm too pragmatic and I too do not want to go off on a "Lost" tangent either. However, Lindeloff is one of the writers/producers and it's hard to not make some comparison's. The show seems to be building up quite a list of "Mysteries", IMO and has not yet declared itself as "spiritual". There is actually a balance of supernatural/spiritual/Sci-Fi elements so far as I can ascertain. There are also familiar phenomenon like, healing, higher being, ESP and/or spiritual powers being put forth in the story so far.

Maybe it's just me, but if I don't get more of a sense of where the show is going or coming from by the end of this season I'll probably drop out.

I hated the "Lost" ending!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, WTF???

Now what did we call "Damon/Carlton" back in the day??? LOL Fucking "purgatory"????? Really? Did he just do that? Oh, and this is not "supernatural". Plenty of mysteries, no answers and a big happy "love fest" at the end. You think they will all end up in the same "Church" by the time they wrap??? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That was fantastic.

The Leftovers is the wackiest show on TV. That episode was certainly the most "supernatural" of all the episodes, but I loved every second of it.

Also, I wish people would stop mentioning purgatory in regards to Lost. I have so many friends and family that still say to me, "See, I told you they were in purgatory the whole time." That's when I tell them to go back and watch it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That was fantastic.

The Leftovers is the wackiest show on TV. That episode was certainly the most "supernatural" of all the episodes, but I loved every second of it.

Also, I wish people would stop mentioning purgatory in regards to Lost. I have so many friends and family that still say to me, "See, I told you they were in purgatory the whole time." That's when I tell them to go back and watch it.
    Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall. Now, are you going to tell me that "The Leftovers Season II" is not shaping up to be "Lost Revisited"? Let's see. random mysteries? check. A Well, check. Purgatory, check. A place that heals, check. Mysterious shaman, check. Visits from the other side, check. Mysterious water, check. I'm sure I have left out a few more. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it so far, just a bit wary just where, Lindelof and Cuse are going with it this time. Or shall we call them "Damonick"? LOL

Oh, and 140 million people just up and vanished right out of their shoes!!! You still think this show is not "Supernatural" themed?

For the record, I do not want to get into a debate on "Lost" in any way. I'm just pointing out that there are some disturbingly common threads on display. Considering who is running the show you just can't ignore that fact IMHO. To do so would be folly IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Cause has nothing to do with it. It's Lindelof and the author of the novel upon which it's based.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    That was fantastic.

Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall.
    Not on the island it wasn't, which is what people were predicting for years. Literally 2% of the show's entire run had anything to do with "purgatory."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cause has nothing to do with it. It's Lindelof and the author of the novel upon which it's based.
    Nick Cuse (Carlton's kid) co-wrote the last episode with Damon.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That was fantastic.

Well, "Purgatory" was the ending if you recall.
    Not on the island it wasn't, which is what people were predicting for years. Literally 2% of the show's entire run had anything to do with "purgatory."
    As I too am aware. I don't want to get into a "Lost" debate either, but for the record when you come down to it WTF did have anything to do with the show all those years. They introduced mystery after mystery and what mysteries they did try to sum up came up kind of lame IMHO. The rest they just kind of whiffed on, not even bothering to remotely explain them.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sure but that is one episode out of 20 and that is like saying Horns is technically a Stephen King movie. Just because a show has mysteries does not make it a LOST copy. The expectation with LOST was that we would get answers and the Leftovers is more about the people than the mysteries. Either way it based on a story by Perrotta and continues to be so regardless of Lindelof being a co-writer.

Is The Green Mile and Shawshank the same movie because they both involve prisons, falsely imprisoned people, bad guards, escapes, King and Darabont?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure but that is one episode out of 20 and that is like saying Horns is technically a Stephen King movie. Just because a show has mysteries does not make it a LOST copy. The expectation with LOST was that we would get answers and the Leftovers is more about the people than the mysteries. Either way it based on a story by Perrotta and continues to be so regardless of Lindelof being a co-writer.

Is The Green Mile and Shawshank the same movie because they both involve prisons, falsely imprisoned people, bad guards, escapes, King and Darabont?

Look folks, I am not trying to be argumentative and I did some research. Also, I don't think you see my point. First, no it is not "Lost", but there are definitely thematic elements being brought to bear that are very reminiscent of "Lost". Second, Perrotta's original novel was pretty much covered by season one. From here on in it's a new ball game albeit, with him as a consultant. Last, if it is "all about the people" then why introduce mystery upon mystery that you have no intention to resolve, as they did on "Lost" and "appear" to be doing once again. The show is not over and perhaps they have "answers" in mind, but you can't logically stand there and tell me that no inference can be drawn from the show's content and writers and 'Lost". It's too obvious IMHO.

I am enjoying the show so far, just as much as I did "Lost" for 5.5 seasons. I hope that they get it right this time more so than they did last time is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

First off...not trying to argue either. Hope you had a great holiday today! I guess I don't see the same thematic similarities you do. I don't see a ton of layered mysteries. The main mystery of what happened will never be answered. They will follow theories but again that is 100% not what the show is about. I believe some of the smaller questions about the town of Miracle and Kevin's sanity will be explored but if you are looking at the show to be a "who done it" mystery that ties up neatly I would probably bail on it now.

Country
    Country Flag

Also I will never defend LOST. That show had amazing writing and killer actors and they threw it all away with a garbage last season.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

First off...not trying to argue either. Hope you had a great holiday today! I guess I don't see the same thematic similarities you do. I don't see a ton of layered mysteries. The main mystery of what happened will never be answered. They will follow theories but again that is 100% not what the show is about. I believe some of the smaller questions about the town of Miracle and Kevin's sanity will be explored but if you are looking at the show to be a "who done it" mystery that ties up neatly I would probably bail on it now.
    Also I will never defend LOST. That show had amazing writing and killer actors and they threw it all away with a garbage last season.
    I suppose I would be okay if the fact that 140 million folks disappeared into thin air with no apparent rationale was never explained and the show stuck to how the "Leftovers" deal with that fact on an ongoing basis. Much as they did in season one. However, IMO season two has started to lay on the mysteries a little thinker week to week. Healing place, Shaman, 'Ghosts" and now the "purgatory", Well, water and additional disappearances to name a few seem to bely that aspect. Also, let's not forget the little mysteries they did maintain in season one such as the affect on animals (which is now resolved apparently) and the shared delusion/communication among characters (Kevin's Dad, The Dog Guy).

Just a little nervous is all, but I intend to hang in at least for the rest of this season and see where it goes.

Spoiler:
    Though, 140 million folks vanishing into thin air is, as the "Ghostbuster's" once said, "One big Twinkie"!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone heard any news on the shows' return?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard, but season 3 will be the last season.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw the previews, the final season is upon us!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW.. just started this two days ago. Already near end of season 1. Should finish by weekend. WHAT A COOL SHOW! Last night one of the episodes of the Smoker getting tied to a tree and stoned to death was probably one of the most heart wrenching things I have ever seen on TV. It was brutal and left me feeling sick. Little over kill and it still sticking with me today
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast