Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bates Motel *Spoilers!*

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished binging Season 3 on Netflix. What an amazing show! This might be in my Top 5 favorite series of the last 5-10 years, up there with Breaking Bad as pure art. The acting, cinematography, music, everything is top-notch. Unfortunately, the Season 4 finale got a bit spoiled for a me as I saw in the news recently that Marion Crane would be featured in Season 5 (hells yeah!), which would be the final season and I (stupidly) read the article and found out what happens at the end of S4, but it's not like it was not an obvious way for the series to go at this point, especially since by the end of S3 Norman is pretty much in full-on Mother mode.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's a great show. You're right, you kind of know what has to happen in order for the story to match up with the film.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Oh, that would be good.

Do you think the mental institution will come into play next season?
    Not really. Maybe for a little while. We might see his shrink, but he will end up being an early season kill for Norman.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.factmag.com/2016/07/24/ri...5-janet-leigh/
    The Norman Bates origin story drama Bates Motel will finally sync up with Psycho in its fifth and final season, according a dispatch from Comi-Con. Rihanna has been tapped to join the cast as Marion Crane, the character famously played by Janet Leigh, who’s murder in a Bates Motel shower is one of the most revered Alfred Hitchcock moments of all time.

This is Rihanna’s largest acting role to-date. She previously starred in Battleship and as the lead voice role in the animated feature Home and also appeared in Seth Rogen’s This Is the End and the Annie remake. Rihanna has a role in Luc Besson’s sci-fi film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, as well, which is slated for release in July 2017.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem with this, except for the fact that Rihanna was terrible in Battleship. I will give her a pass because the movie as a whole was a trainwreck (or boatwreck? I don't know).

The only thing worse in that film was Brooklyn Decker.

Country
    Country Flag

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

So ... thoughts on the finale?

Spoiler:
    I loved the face off at the end. That's the only way this could have ended, and I don't think for a second that Norman would have killed his brother. He wanted to die, to be with his mother, and once the realization hit --- "Shit, I AM fucking crazy, and I AM alone, and I AM either going to jail or mental institution for the rest of my life ..." --- that was it. It's over. So he forced Dylan to kill him. Great scene. The rest of the episode was play-by-numbers. You had to know Romero was dead going into the episode. Played out like clockwork. Saw the body, got distracted/overwhelmed, hit in the head with a rock from behind, etc etc.

Anyway, good show from start to finish, my ratings:

Season One: 4.25/5
    Season Two: 4.1/5
    Season Three: 3.2/5
    Season Four: 3.3/5
    Season Five: 3.5/5

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the finale. The final season was strong, which featured incredibly strong performances from Highmore and Farmiga. I thought the show really hit its stride when they decided on a set date for the ending. They were able to plan things out nicely. I thought the 2nd and 3rd seasons had a lot of filler. The side story with the brother working for the weed dealer felt like it belonged in another show.

The final two seasons really focused on Norman and Norma and the show, for me, benefited from that.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Spoiler

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Season 4 (I had gotten behind and think I had forgotten to DVR it). I really, really liked it. I agree the show really got better by getting rid of the bulk of the drug side plots (finally!) and focusing on the Norma/Norman relationship. I can't think of another character on another show that makes me unnerved, uncomfortable, and sad all at the same time like Norman (especially this season).

I knew Norma's death was coming, but man, it was still incredibly affecting. I didn't think that's how it would end up going once we got there, but it makes sense for the show. (I thought Norman might kill her in one of his violent episodes, then hide her body in the basement and make it look like she just abandoned them like she did in Season 3.)

Actually, the final two episodes were so dark, depressing, and uncomfortable--Norma's death, Romero's grief and rage, Norman digging up Norma, his swings from denial and realization that Norma is actually dead...all of it.

I'm excited to watch the final season, but need to take a break and watch something comedic in between.

One thing that I thought was weird though was that Dylan wasn't present. You would have thought he would have been contacted? I wonder what will happen with him next season. Also one other thing that really bugged me was why was the institution not contacted? I know Norman signed himself in and out, but with his current state of mind, there was no mention of his psychiatrist, and wasn't he having regular meetings with him. He should have known about what happened, and in turn been highly concerned about Norman, no?
    Heather, I thought the same thing about Dylan not being contacted, but then I thought that the only people that would've called him would be Norman or Romero, and both of them were pretty self-focused that episode. I would think that he'd know once he comes back to town eventually.

About the institution, there's a deleted scene on the DVD where Norman's therapist comes to see him at the motel the night after Norma's death and tells him he's concerned about him staying there by himself, considering his issues. It's a year late, but there you go.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Just finished Season 4 (I had gotten behind and think I had forgotten to DVR it). I really, really liked it. I agree the show really got better by getting rid of the bulk of the drug side plots (finally!) and focusing on the Norma/Norman relationship. I can't think of another character on another show that makes me unnerved, uncomfortable, and sad all at the same time like Norman (especially this season).

I knew Norma's death was coming, but man, it was still incredibly affecting. I didn't think that's how it would end up going once we got there, but it makes sense for the show. (I thought Norman might kill her in one of his violent episodes, then hide her body in the basement and make it look like she just abandoned them like she did in Season 3.)

Actually, the final two episodes were so dark, depressing, and uncomfortable--Norma's death, Romero's grief and rage, Norman digging up Norma, his swings from denial and realization that Norma is actually dead...all of it.

I'm excited to watch the final season, but need to take a break and watch something comedic in between.

One thing that I thought was weird though was that Dylan wasn't present. You would have thought he would have been contacted? I wonder what will happen with him next season. Also one other thing that really bugged me was why was the institution not contacted? I know Norman signed himself in and out, but with his current state of mind, there was no mention of his psychiatrist, and wasn't he having regular meetings with him. He should have known about what happened, and in turn been highly concerned about Norman, no?
    Heather, I thought the same thing about Dylan not being contacted, but then I thought that the only people that would've called him would be Norman or Romero, and both of them were pretty self-focused that episode. I would think that he'd know once he comes back to town eventually.

About the institution, there's a deleted scene on the DVD where Norman's therapist comes to see him at the motel the night after Norma's death and tells him he's concerned about him staying there by himself, considering his issues. It's a year late, but there you go.
    Well, I will be looking forward to your thoughts on the final season sometime next year.

Norman really is one of the more fascinating characters in TV history. We shouldn't root for him. We shouldn't care for him. The crazy thing is that we do.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally watched Season 5. I wanted to binge watch but forced myself to only watch one every day or so to fully savor and appreciate the final season. I don't think there's a single episode this season that I'd get rid of or call "filler". Everything was so perfect on every level and I found myself thinking a lot of times throughout the final season that I thought I knew how things were going to go, only to be proved wrong. I rarely find that in TV now and love that Bates managed to fool me many times.

Obviously Freddie and Vera were amazing these past two seasons, but I have to give it to Max Thieriot. The way he played Dylan distancing himself from Norma/Norman, to worrying about Norman's well-being, and ultimately be drawn back into his crazy world, torn between his brother and his wife and daughter was perfect.

It's been a few weeks since I saw the finale so I'm sure there's a lot I wanted to mention but am forgetting.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally watched Season 5. I wanted to binge watch but forced myself to only watch one every day or so to fully savor and appreciate the final season. I don't think there's a single episode this season that I'd get rid of or call "filler". Everything was so perfect on every level and I found myself thinking a lot of times throughout the final season that I thought I knew how things were going to go, only to be proved wrong. I rarely find that in TV now and love that Bates managed to fool me many times.

Obviously Freddie and Vera were amazing these past two seasons, but I have to give it to Max Thieriot. The way he played Dylan distancing himself from Norma/Norman, to worrying about Norman's well-being, and ultimately be drawn back into his crazy world, torn between his brother and his wife and daughter was perfect.

It's been a few weeks since I saw the finale so I'm sure there's a lot I wanted to mention but am forgetting.
    Awesome technique! I've been known to do stuff like that too. Really milk it.

My favorite part of the season was how it totally went in directions I didn't see coming. I was 100% sure I knew how things were going to go down and not just because of the original film, and they threw me for a loop.

Max Thieriot's arc the entire series was pretty great actually. He did an amazing job I thought.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished the final season. A brilliant way to end the series, I thought. I liked how it went off in a different direction to Psycho but still paid tribute to it (particularly with the shower scene. That really surprised me, quite honestly). I thought the finale was especially emotional to watch. I think that with Norman, in terms of both writing and Highmore's performance, they always got the right balance between creepy and tragic.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Just finished the final season. A brilliant way to end the series, I thought. I liked how it went off in a different direction to Psycho but still paid tribute to it (particularly with the shower scene. That really surprised me, quite honestly). I thought the finale was especially emotional to watch. I think that with Norman, in terms of both writing and Highmore's performance, they always got the right balance between creepy and tragic.
    It's about time! Just kidding.

I agree. I love how they went in a different direction. I was wondering how they were going to handle things as the show started to more closely align with the film. In the end, I'm happy they changed things up a little bit.

I thought Bates really hit its stride when they came up with an end date for the show. Early, they were milking things too much. They had a few odd side stories like the whole weed thing. The final few seasons were tight and featured some truly memorable scenes. Here's a personal favorite. Loved the use of Be My Baby.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I thought Bates really hit its stride when they came up with an end date for the show. Early, they were milking things too much. They had a few odd side stories like the whole weed thing. The final few seasons were tight and featured some truly memorable scenes.
    Agreed. I was just thinking the other day how good seasons 4 and 5 were. Not a single minute of filler. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) final season to a drama I've ever seen.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Bates really hit its stride when they came up with an end date for the show. Early, they were milking things too much. They had a few odd side stories like the whole weed thing. The final few seasons were tight and featured some truly memorable scenes.
    Agreed. I was just thinking the other day how good seasons 4 and 5 were. Not a single minute of filler. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) final season to a drama I've ever seen.
    I'm with you on that.

I don't know why, but I've been getting really snippy with friends and family lately. If I hear one more time, "OH MY GOD, MIKE! HAVE YOU SEEN THE GOOD DOCTOR?! IT'S AMAZING!"

"Yeah, I watched the first 3 episodes. It wasn't for me. I have a hard time watching procedural network shows now. Besides, Freddie Highmore was so good on Bates Motel, I kind of get bummed watching him on Good Doctor."

"Bates what?"

"Bates Motel. The show based on the movie Pyscho."

"Ohh, that sounds good. I will have to check it out. When's it on?"

"It's fucking over. It ended. Where the fuck have you been? I'm sure you can find it on Netflix."

*screams into a pillow*

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Freddie was absolutely amazing on Bates Motel. Actually both him and Vera. It wouldn't have been the same if they cast other actors. The two of them had such great chemistry together. I'm not sure it'd be easy for me to watch Freddie in something else now. His version of Norman Bates was so creepy and unsettling. I'm not sure I could picture him as anything but Norman.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know why, but I've been getting really snippy with friends and family lately. If I hear one more time, "OH MY GOD, MIKE! HAVE YOU SEEN THE GOOD DOCTOR?! IT'S AMAZING!"

"Yeah, I watched the first 3 episodes. It wasn't for me. I have a hard time watching procedural network shows now. Besides, Freddie Highmore was so good on Bates Motel, I kind of get bummed watching him on Good Doctor."

"Bates what?"

"Bates Motel. The show based on the movie Pyscho."

"Ohh, that sounds good. I will have to check it out. When's it on?"

"It's fucking over. It ended. Where the fuck have you been? I'm sure you can find it on Netflix."

*screams into a pillow*

Some of my family watches The Good Doctor and this is exactly how I picture the conversation going if I mentioned Bates Motel.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3