Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Farenheit 451 - possible spoilers

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Farenheit 451 - possible spoilers

i read this twice while i was away;

i spent the flight home thinking about it and what questions i wanted to ask the Book Club in regards to the book. I am struggling to narrow it down to just a few questions though here are a few but i am hoping that the discussion will open up a lot more

a) how close do you think todays society is to the books fictional society
    b) what were your thoughts on the characters, were they well formed?

c) what is your interpretation of the book

the reason i am struggling with the questions for this book are
    this book was unlike any other book i have ever read, it made me look at my life very closely and i do not like what i see. I loved this book, and i will probabley read i again and again and find something new each time i read it. this book made me cry with how much we as a society seem to have lost but also to see how close it mirrored my own life. And i do not apologise for the drama of any statement i make in this review, as i feel very strongly about this book

a)
    i believe with great sadness that we are more at less coming to or have arrived at the point where the book takes place. I walk to work and i see people with the ipods in, each in their own world, walking past people as if they dont exist. I see people watching their TV and taking it for fact what they are told, i see these same people get so angry and sad at fictional lives yet ignore their neighbours who are in need.

i see people ridiculed for their knowledge, for reading books, for not fitting the normal. I see stupidity rewarded and honoured.

b) i loved the characters in this book, i see people i know in every character in the book. and i weep because of it

c) the book is not about censorship in my eyes, the book is a warning to us about how we can ignore the people we love the most in favour of strangers. How intelligence is muted by todays 'entertainment'

i am really looking forward to reading other peoples views on this book and to see if anyone else was touched as i was by it?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

does nobody want to discuss this book?

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    It is a great book, but i read it to many years ago to give an objective opinion...
    I remember that i felt sad for the similitudes between our world and this "fictional" world about what the society refers...
    Sorry i could not been more expresive

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Never fear. Sure do! Just give me a little more time, okay? (& I don't doubt that some others will jump in any minute, now. ) Thanks for contributing, candy.

**ETA** --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post
    It is a great book, but i read it to many years ago to give an objective opinion...
    I remember that i felt sad for the similitudes between our world and this "fictional" world about what the society refers...
    Sorry i could not been more expresive
    See what'd I tell ya?
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 05-14-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: ;)

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I loved this book, but like others, i haven't read it in years. It also reminded me of A Brave New World, insomuch as it told a cautionary tale of what might be with where our civilization is heading.

you posting this has made me want to bring it back out and give it a reread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what path said

bears are going away now for another week, will post when they're back!

::huggling bear::

(photobucket won't load)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

thank you all for coming back to me

i shall wait with anticipation for you to finish reading

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love this book, but I'm not ever really good at book discussion. It's hard for me to find something about it that hasn't been said before.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

thats ok brice, i was just getting a little panicky that no one liked this book

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love it. I love everything Mr. Bradbury writes.

As I said I'm not good at discussion of books (I know, strange since this is essentially a site devoted to books ), but I'll try to answer the questions soon.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice klio is on a distinguished road klio's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched a film few years ago, and this thread reminded me on how good it was. so,right now im reading a book for a first time, and its really good.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by klio View Post
    I watched a film few years ago, and this thread reminded me on how good it was. so,right now im reading a book for a first time, and its really good.
    YEAH! come back and let me know you thoughts when you have read it. I love this book, as you may be able to tell from my post above and i am going to re read it as soon as i get through my re read of the dark tower

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You might think that since this Book Club has already discussed 1984 and Catch-22, (and did you ever wonder why these great distopian novels all have numbers in their titles? ) as well as Something Wicked This Way Comes, that it might make this easier. Ironically, tho, it seems to make it that much harder to say just what it is that make F451 special.

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I grew up on Bradbury, Heinlein, Silverberg, Jules Verne and others.

My mother was a librarian and I spent many hours in there reading (no money for baby sitters back then) Sci-fi.

Many of those authors had a remarkable insight as to what our world would be like today.

Hard to imagine a world without books.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Hard to imagine a world without books.
    and yet to some people this is already a fact. I know a lot of people who seem strangely proud of the fact they have not read a book since school. I think its really sad.

for example how can someone really get into the head of a character, lets say...harry potter, a newish character. The books are really long but the films skip a lot of what happens, people are not using their brains to imagine things anymore, what someone looks like, what a setting look like etc. And thats just the fiction side of the argument

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    My mother was a librarian and I spent many hours in there reading (no money for baby sitters back then) Sci-fi.
    I'm hating my mom!!! Why couldn't she be a librarian too????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

i believe with great sadness that we are more at less coming to or have arrived at the point where the book takes place. I walk to work and i see people with the ipods in, each in their own world, walking past people as if they dont exist. I see people watching their TV and taking it for fact what they are told, i see these same people get so angry and sad at fictional lives yet ignore their neighbours who are in need.
    Yes, I do, too. I think that we are in trouble. It’s very true-to-life. Another point which I find moving: Montag’s early ignorance. That really is how people work. He burned books for a living, without the least consideration… but how many of us ever consider things like children making the shoes that we sell, for example?
    c) the book is not about censorship in my eyes, the book is a warning to us about how we can ignore the people we love the most in favour of strangers. How intelligence is muted by todays 'entertainment'

i am really looking forward to reading other peoples views on this book and to see if anyone else was touched as i was by it?
    Cause and effect. I think that it is not just speculating about what kind of society would have to arise for the classics to be censored -- it is a case of speculating about what kind of society would be left without them.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who can’t."
    ~ Mark Twain

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Many despots destroyed books and archives after coming to power.....an old adage states that "history is written by the victors".

One of the most famous (or infamous if you prefer) destruction of books was carried out after Hitler came to power in Germany......many images of books being burned in public by his storm troopers are archived. Maybe they will serve as a warning.

While modern methods of preserving data is awesome I recently read an article that stated that huge amounts of information has been lost because the means to retrieve it has become obsolete. I have an archive of material and photos on discs that I can no longer view because none of my new puters have disc drives.

I actually have stuff on the old big floppy discs.

Maybe I should invest in a disc drive before they quit making them.

When I was on active duty (Army) my office lost a huge amount of our archives when a server crashed and they had not backed the info up. Many of my personal pics that were stored on the hard drive of my puter dissappeared into cyber space.

Ref the main character in "451" he is/was a classic example of a public servant who was "just following orders". He had never know any difference and that is what is scary about mindless obedience to authority.

Lots of Nazis had their necks stretched because they were "just following orders".

"Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

b) what were your thoughts on the characters, were they well formed?
    c) what is your interpretation of the book
    A) I believe that today's society is extremely close to the one portrayed in the book. The "cousins" mimic the online personalities we all have, while our societies' dependence on television and visual mediums increases. Being just out of high school (one year out), I can tell you that students and teachers are relying less on books and moreso on videos to help learn. Unfortunately, I was one of four people I knew who legitimately read novels (and I'm counting dozens of people in that).

B) I absolutely loved the characters. My favorite being Clarisse McClellan. Obviously, I loved Montag, as well, but Clarisse was so unique in a world of clones. I think I could connect with her the most out of all the characters, but I think Bradbury intended it to be that way for most of us.

C) I believe that the book is about censorship (obviously) as well as a need for social reform. Unless we can somehow make thinking into a necessity of life for my generation, then we will end up exactly like the society in the book. It is my firm belief that my generation will be the deciding factor in whether or not this horrid vision of the future plays out, and I would be ashamed to say that I sat back and didn't have my say about it.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

SS that really saddens me about the schooling, i just shake my head. where is society heading if we can not even use the book as a learning tool within schools!!! how many school leavers in coming years will have lost the ability or the inclination to read

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dunno what else to say. Still looking forward to hearing promised criticisms from Jean. Maybe we can greatly extend this thread if we can get some real contentious debate going.
    One point which I'd have to grant is that this novel is perhaps a little padded. As great as the conception is, it might have sufficed as no more than a short story. The latter half of F451 has a great deal of florid prose with little purpose.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I will try to address each of the questions posted.

a) how close do you think todays society is to the books fictional society. This is hard to answer. In some ways, I think our society has progressed much further than Bradbury ever conceived. Technologically that is. In other ways, we've not yet realized Bradbury's vision, and hopefully never will (The spider-hound things come to mind) However, with respect to what I perceive as the question's intent, a comparison of our social structure and associated mores and taboos, I think that our society is very much what Bradbury envisioned, and feared. The world has gone and gotten itself in a big damn hurry. There is time made only for things which would stimulate financial progress. The arts in general, and books specifically have given way to self-help, work-at-home, save-on-your-taxes infommercials, and the like. I think that leaps in technology has made us lazy, not only in the physical sense, but in the mental sense as well. There is no imagination anymore. We do not need to be imaginative, we need only to turn on the TV and allow someone else's thoughts and imagination entertain our idle brains. I think that this was the fear that drove Mr. Bradbury to write this story.

b) what were your thoughts on the characters, were they well formed? I thought that the character development as a whole was lacking. But, I'm not sure that that is a complete negative, as this is not a character driven story. This is more about collective society, that any one character, and to that end, I think that the book is still a success. That said, I would have liked to have a little more insight into Montag's head. His transition from it being "a pleasure to burn" to his risking his life to save a book was muddy at best. I wanted to learn more about what changed his mind, as it is these thoughts that might save us from our progressive decline.

c) what is your interpretation of the book - I really enjoyed the book, although not nearly as much as other Bradbury that I have read. I was intrigued by the Montag, but did not really understand his motives, either as a firefighter or as a reformist. I did not feel empathetic to any of the characters at all, as they were all pretty poorly defined, but I did identify with society as a whole and was saddened by how this fictional society mirrors our own. I thought that many of Bradbury's attempts at describing a technologically advanced society were rather silly and out of place, but his description of the human condition was spot on.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    this novel is perhaps a little padded. As great as the conception is, it might have sufficed as no more than a short story
    It was a short story in the first draft. Bradbury tried to sell it, and the only way to get it seriously published was to extend it by about double it's length; changing it from a short story to a novel (or, more aptly, a novella).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    That said, I would have liked to have a little more insight into Montag's head. His transition from it being "a pleasure to burn" to his risking his life to save a book was muddy at best. I wanted to learn more about what changed his mind, as it is these thoughts that might save us from our progressive decline.
    I think I've read 1984 and Little Brother enough times, and bear so much love for them, that it was easy to connect Montag to Winston and Marcus (a.k.a. w1n5t0n, a.k.a. M1k3y). In that respect, I didn't need much more background or insight into his head; I had all the background I needed! To me, the characters were as fleshed-out as they needed to be.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    That said, I would have liked to have a little more insight into Montag's head. His transition from it being "a pleasure to burn" to his risking his life to save a book was muddy at best. I wanted to learn more about what changed his mind, as it is these thoughts that might save us from our progressive decline.
    I think I've read 1984 and Little Brother enough times, and bear so much love for them, that it was easy to connect Montag to Winston and Marcus (a.k.a. w1n5t0n, a.k.a. M1k3y). In that respect, I didn't need much more background or insight into his head; I had all the background I needed! To me, the characters were as fleshed-out as they needed to be.
    Interesting concept, using character development from different novels, written by different authors, to "flesh out" other characters.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast