Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible James S. A. Corey (AKA Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)

John F. Kennedy Zaphod will become famous soon enough

Default The Collectible James S. A. Corey (AKA Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)

Subterranean Press has announced a limited edition of Leviathan Wakes, the first novel in The Expanse (an ongoing SF/space opera series). I thought I'd start a thread now as a heads-up for any book collectors who missed the announcement or haven't yet heard of the series.

I've been a fan of The Expanse for a while but sadly up to now there hasn't really been much to collect; the first two books in the series were released in hardcover by a US book club, I believe the third was only ever available in paperback and books four and five have been released as publisher hardbacks. I don't really collect paperbacks or book club editions so I've stuck with eBook copies of the novels so far. I've been hoping that a nice set of hardbacks would be made available at some point so I snapped up the signed limited as soon as I spotted it

I suspected Sub Press might pick up the series (it seems to be quite popular and SP have already published a few other works by Daniel Abraham) and it looks like the recent debut of a TV show based on the series has spurred them on. Of course only the first book has been announced but if it sells well then I imagine Sub Press will publish the rest of them too. There have been a few Expanse novellas in addition to the five novels, so there is scope for an anthology release later on.

Has anybody else here ordered a copy of Leviathan Wakes?

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I just ordered one. I'll give it a shot - Ty was GRRMs assistant for a while. Looks like there are 19 copies left.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered one as well. I wish these recent offerings from SP (The Martian, RPO, and now LW) would include more artwork then just the cover.

Yeah, a lot of the SP limited editions are short on features. The absence is particularly felt on the lettered versions, which are often the same as the numbered editions apart from being bound in leather and coming with a traycase. That appears to be the case for the lettered edition of Leviathan Wakes, which was priced at $350. At that price an extra illustration or two, perhaps a gatefold, is not too much to ask.

I have to wonder how much blame the authors need to shoulder for this. Bill Shafer is in this game to make money, each extra illustration he adds increases his production costs and lowers the amount of profit per book, so he has a strong incentive to keep these editions as bare-bones as possible. It seems to work for him, at least you are almost guaranteed to get what you ordered from Sub Press in the end, which is more than can be said for some small press publishers*.

However Bill presumably has to negotiate with the authors to get the rights to publish a limited edition, when he does that I imagine he submits a proposal of what he'd like to produce and the intended selling price. I wonder if the better featured books are the ones where the author cares enough about the book they (and their fans) end up with to enter into a dialogue, and the bare-bones books are the result of the author just saying yes please and banking the cheque.

* I'm still bitter about Hill House, where the ineptitude of the founders led to the collapse of the business, taking a big chunk of my money with it. B******s.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is why I won't be ordering the lettered editions for these types of books. The $75 price point is fine sans illustrations/extras but the lettered editions really do need something else in my opinion to justify the extra cost - at least one color illustration would be worth it. This is why I sold my lettered Martian.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

I have a copy of the numbered state coming, excusing myself from the vow to never again buy expensive reprints as it's not January 1 yet. I agree with Becca that it's hard to justify the lettered editions based on features, but there have been a few that were drop-dead beautiful and if you love a book, and don't mind the entry fee, it's worth a roll of the dice.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I just ordered one. I'll give it a shot - Ty was GRRMs assistant for a while. Looks like there are 19 copies left.
    It's good stuff, Becca
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Syfy started releasing the tv series based on this.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Good points by Becca and zaphod. I don't want to bum Bill from SP out, but recent lettereds have been very underwhelming, not just the bare bones production, but the bang vs. buck ratio. $500 for a basic book in a traycase? $150 for a S/L without a slipcase? This really sucks because they publish my favourite authors. I passed on lettereds by Powers, Moore, Ellison, and Mieville. Why bother? They re identical to numbered editions.

I'll give these a try though. Or maybe I'll track down the paperback firsts. Paperbacks don't scare me and the true first is the true first.

The numbered edition has shipped. It's an oversized book like The Martian and has a fully illustrated jacket without any logos/writing. While I like the fact that the jacket art is unobscured I'm tempted to have a slipcase made with the title/author name.

Sub Press are currently allowing owners of LW to order the matching copy of the second book, Caliban's War, so it looks very likely they'll publish the whole series

Country
    Country Flag

It's possible SP will do a slipcase for the set like they did with The Shattered Sea series. You might wait and see what happens.

Gunslinger Apprentice ValHallAwaits will become famous soon enough ValHallAwaits's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's possible SP will do a slipcase for the set like they did with The Shattered Sea series. You might wait and see what happens.
    I'm hoping they do, and the limited really is beautiful on the shelf as it is.

Looking to get into lettered before the preorder period ends on book 2. Any and all leads/PMs welcome.
    Last edited by ValHallAwaits; 05-13-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Acquired

I think that is unlikely. There are already five books in the series, with a sixth due out this year and another three planned. That'd be one large slipcase!

I understand it is expensive to get the hot foil plates made up though, so maybe it'd be worth creating a generic "Expanse by James S. A. Corey" design and then reusing it for all the books in the series, with different colours for each slipcase.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Resurrecting an old thread here, does anyone have a SP hardcover copy of Leviathan wakes they would consider parting with? Or know of any other hardcover editions that are more readily available? I've seen the $2k set on Abe Books, but really would just like a hardcover for the shelves - doesn't need to be signed, or truly limited.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

There is a hardcover book club edition of LW and Calibans War. Not sure what they run though.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    There is a hardcover book club edition of LW and Calibans War. Not sure what they run though.
    I keep reading that but can't seem to find them online. Nothing on eBay or Abe's

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I keep reading that but can't seem to find them online. Nothing on eBay or Abe's
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    That’s the one. I have copy and have been thinking of selling since I have the limited set.

Country
    Country Flag

That’s the one. I have copy and have been thinking of selling since I have the limited set.
    $200 for a BCE feels quite steep. If you're interested in selling yours I would be interested to know your asking price.

Country
    Country Flag

$200 for a BCE feels quite steep. If you're interested in selling yours I would be interested to know your asking price.
    There’s a cheap one on eBay. Pretty rough though.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372571050719

Country
    Country Flag

I did not see that listing and missed it. Would have bought that. Crap.

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like the same copy (complete with unclipped pages) is being re-listed on eBay for $500 US BIN - which is, patently absurd.
    If anyone else has found another copy for sale online, or has one, I would love to know. I keep searching various Amazon's (.ca, .com, .co.uk) , abe books and ebay, but to no avail.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Barnes and Noble is taking preorders for signed copies of the 10th Anniversary edition of Leviathan Wakes.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lev...=9780316382250

Preorders are also up for signed copies of Leviathan Falls.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lev...=9780316379366
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like special editions of Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate to match the 10th Anniversary edition of Leviathan Wakes are due for release on December 12th.
    Glad to see they are continuing with these. I'm hoping that means they will do the full series.

"A reversible cover that features the full, uncropped artwork of the original cover art" is also a nice addition.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cal...=9780316573337

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/aba...=9780316573528
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heads up on those two new releases!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast