Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Bill Bender-AKA Merlin 1958

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default RIP Bill Bender-AKA Merlin 1958

It is with a heavy heart that I notify everyone of the passing of William Bender II
    Known here as Merlin1958.

Bill passed away this morning.
    His family is being very tight-lipped about things.
    There will be no services.

I have temporarily turned the site color to black.

If I become aware of more information, I will share it.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you...Bill...legendary

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

RIP Bill. It was an honour to have known and met you.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That is extremely sad news, I really, really liked Bill!
    He did me some some wonderful favors!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very sad news. RIP Bill and condolences to the family.

Gunslinger Apprentice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP Bill

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Was always good to me, RIP Bill

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sad news - always enjoyed chatting with Bill and reading his opinions. I had the opportunity to get a few books from him and also send him a few. I am pretty sure the GRRM AGOT I sent him went to his son. We will miss you Bill
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Very sorry to hear this. Didn’t know him but always enjoyed his posts. RIP
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You haven't heard from me in quite a while but I just received this news.

It is devastating.

Bill was one that seemed to always have a smile in his heart and his mind. Even when he was going through his hard times, he could find the where-withal to cheer up others. He never failed to have a positive attitude towards life in general and others in particular. You rarely heard him bitch about anything.

He was quite the promoter and salesman. I won't forget his trademark 'LOL"! It fit his personality to at T!

If anyone is so inclined, He used to request donations be made to Shriners Children's Hospital. It seems like a nephew (or some young relative) was taken care of there.

Best Wishes -
    Dick
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

How interesting/odd/ironic/mildly comforting that my 40,000th post is about Bill.
    I have a lot to say, but for now let's just recognize that Bill was a polarizing figure. He and I fought like brothers (not physically). We had many a disagreement, but always came back to the fact that we loved each other.
    Bill could (and often did) piss a person off. Not long after, Bill would apologize and make great efforts to mend fences. Some described his personality as approaching bipolar. Not being a clinical psychologist, I could not make the diagnosis.

Nonetheless, Bill, despite his faults was a very good person. He helped me on numerous Fundraisers for The Haven Foundation, and also wanted to give to The Shriners Hospital (they treat very sick children at little to no cost to the parents).

Bill has several children (William Bender III, and at least one grandchild (William Bender IV) that I know of. He doted on his grandchild the last few years of his life (and the first few years of the grandchild's life).

There will never be another Merlin1958

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So sorry to hear about Bill (Merlin).

The end of an era!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very very sad. RIP buddy.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Really sorry to read this. Great guy. Really admired his generosity.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Such sad news. Bill was always wonderful to me and he will be missed. Rest In Peace Merlin1958. 💔
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have many pictures of Bill, but here is one from a Los Angeles event with the Rock Bottom Remainders. Bill of course is the tallest person in the pics. I'll leave it to others to figure out who else is pictured.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    How interesting/odd/ironic/mildly comforting that my 40,000th post is about Bill.
    I have a lot to say, but for now let's just recognize that Bill was a polarizing figure. He and I fought like brothers (not physically). We had many a disagreement, but always came back to the fact that we loved each other.
    Bill could (and often did) piss a person off. Not long after, Bill would apologize and make great efforts to mend fences. Some described his personality as approaching bipolar. Not being a clinical psychologist, I could not make the diagnosis.

Nonetheless, Bill, despite his faults was a very good person. He helped me on numerous Fundraisers for The Haven Foundation, and also wanted to give to The Shriners Hospital (they treat very sick children at little to no cost to the parents).

Bill has several children (William Bender III, and at least one grandchild (William Bender IV) that I know of. He doted on his grandchild the last few years of his life (and the first few years of the grandchild's life).

There will never be another Merlin1958
    Are you sure we're talking about the same guy? In my trips to see Bill, I never saw an indication of being Bi-polar and never saw the problems others seemed to have.

Opinionated? --- yes.

New York sense of humor? -- yes.

Willing to 'bust your balls'? -- yes.

Did he piss people off? -- sure, everyone does at some point but never to the point of alienating a person.

Bend over backwards to help and encourage anyone that deserved it? -- ALWAYS!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    You haven't heard from me in quite a while but I just received this news.

It is devastating.

Bill was one that seemed to always have a smile in his heart and his mind. Even when he was going through his hard times, he could find the where-withal to cheer up others. He never failed to have a positive attitude towards life in general and others in particular. You rarely heard him bitch about anything.

He was quite the promoter and salesman. I won't forget his trademark 'LOL"! It fit his personality to at T!

If anyone is so inclined, He used to request donations be made to Shriners Children's Hospital. It seems like a nephew (or some young relative) was taken care of there.

Best Wishes -
    Dick
    By the way - someone sent me a PM that I'm unable to open. I think it's been 3 years since I've posted here - I lost all the Passwords and the knowledge to navigate this site.

I'll be donating to Shriners in his name and sending condolences to his home and family.

LOL to Bill
    www.bookslipcase.com

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wow. Terrible.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh damn. So sorry to hear this.

I gotta process this.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is incredibly sad news. I never met Bill but I can’t think of this site without thinking of him. To me he was the yang to Jerome’s yin. I was always impressed with his ability to be so extreme in opinion but willing to talk it through and even sometimes come around to someone else’s point of view. Even when he didn’t express a change of heart he never walked away from being open to talk.
    You will be dearly missed my friend.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

F***.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

BILL was a SPECIAL HUMAN BEING.. His kindness inspired, His thoughtfulness inspired.
    His desire to do all he could for the good he saw in people as well as his willingness to help those he saw in need was amazing.
    I knew Bill for a number of years and we spoke not as frequently lately however when we did it was like it was only yesterday that we shared our last story..
    He was the type of friend I will now miss knowing the last words we shared were our last story!

I can only hope he is now feeling the peace he deserved and his family can live on holding fast to the fine memories I know hey shared.
    RIP MERLIN
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

He was one of the first to welcome me here. We argued but we got along at times too. He reminded me of family in a way cause he could drive me nuts but turn around and make me laugh and he helped me out with a few purchases when I was tight on money. Was not expecting to cry tonight. RIP merlin1958

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I literally just thought yesterday, "I haven't heard from Bill in awhile, I need to drop him a note." I don't sell a book very often, but a little while back I ended up with an extra Christine (#583) that went to Bill; his daughter was named Kristine after the ES version, and he was over-the-top thrilled to finally get a copy. Back around 2015 he was my Secret Santa, and actually managed to get ahold of my wife to coordinate some secret crap to make sure I was surprised; she thought he was great and played along.

He and I talked baseball all the time, and he shared many a story of times at ball games with his dad. As a surprise, I sent him a Joe DiMaggio-signed Yankee Stadium blueprint that I had; he had it framed and it's hanging proudly in his den with some of his other memorabilia (photo in his collection). Whenever I picked up a cool new signed Yankees baseball card (I have a decent collection of autos) I'd share with him; the last was Lefty Gomez, who played in the 30's and 40's.

I was maybe one of the few not offended by his sometimes caustic posts, instead would drop him a note saying essentially, "Well, you really got them riled up again; maybe an apology of sorts might be due." and then he'd say fuck 'em, but would come back a little later with something.

Bill was unique, and I'm going to miss the hell out of my friend.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast