Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarest of the Rare

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Rarest of the Rare

I'd like to start a topic on the "Rarest" Sk books out there. I know that I will never be able to own such goodies (unless I win the lottery) but I still like to see them. So how about we all throw in and show pics of some of the elite editions that mayhap some already own or at least have a pic of them. and if so inclined, a discription would be great.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hands down
    Salem's Lot First Edition First printing
    Wish I had it but I don't have $40-$50K lying around either.....

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    Hands down
    Out of curiosity, of the three that exist - who owns them? I know Hutch has one for sale, and I assume Bob owns one, who's lucky number 3?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    Hands down
    Out of curiosity, of the three that exist - who owns them? I know Hutch has one for sale, and I assume Bob owns one, who's lucky number 3?
    I thought there were four or five of these. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow, aside from Bob and Hutch I have no idea who else might have one.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a first printing hardcover of pet semetary, dont know if its actually rare or anything
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still a noob when it comes to the HIGH END stuff like this, but can anyone explain why the Salem's Lot 1st/1st is so rare?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I'm still a noob when it comes to the HIGH END stuff like this, but can anyone explain why the Salem's Lot 1st/1st is so rare?
    If I remember correctly because the first dustjacket (which is the only difference between a first and a second) has a price of 8.95 instead of 7.95 and I think and there are only 5 or less of those.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

And before Salem's Lot was issued, Doubleday, the publisher, decided to reprice the book at $7.95. All the dust jackets were price-clipped and the new price was printed on them. Somehow, a very few of the original dust jackets (there seem to be conflicting stories on just how many of these there were, but it was fewer than six) were found in a file cabinet and, instead of being discarded, were kept.

The story of this was told by Peter Schneider, who worked there at the time and was founder of Hill House Publisher, which is now out of business.

John

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

pet semetery 1st is a great book to have... but definitely not what one would call a rarity.

john beat me to getting it posted... but to expand on his explanation...
    in answer to your question gris...
    the salem's lot 1st edition had three "states" of jackets... due to errors on the jacket.

the rarest is the 1st state jacket... the original jacket. it was printed with the mistake in the synopsis that mentions a father cody (not the characters name)
    it was also priced on the jacket at $8.95, before the book was sent out to stores, the 8.95 price was deemed to high, and the price was clipped off the jackets and it was repriced at 7.95.
    a few (3-5) of the original jackets that weren't clipped or repriced were salvaged somewhere along the way and it is that version of the jacket on a 1st edition book that is so valuable. 30-50 grand is what it'll set you back...if you can find one. as far as i know hutch is the only one willing to sell his.

the second state jacket has the repricing to 7.95, but still has the father cody error in the synopsis.... there are more than 3-5 of these...but they are also pretty rare... in great condition, they sale for high hundreds to 1000.00+

the third state jacket has the price corrected, and is reprinted with the correct characters name- father callahan. they sale for low hundreds.
    all three states of jackets were issued with the same first edition book - which only ran 20,000 copies i believe. which is a very low print run (consider that now. most of king's first editions are many hundreds of thousands to millions+ print runs)

hope that helps

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i take it that chooch meant this thread to refer to actual published books... and not things like original manuscripts and such? - in which case i'd have to agree the salem's lot 1st ed 1st state is the grail....
    though...
    one could argue that the proto-type regulators is rarer -ie. 1 copy...or that the jeff conner's check copy of skeleton crew (hand bound in goatskin) is the rarest...

doesn't matter.... bob has both of these plus the salem's lot 1st state... (i hate you bob)
    (not really... i luuuuv ya lots... now put me in your will please...)

Country
    Country Flag

I am surprised that no one has mentioned The New Lt Rap or even The Plant or Gunslinger S/L . I think that 'Salems lot is very rare and only a few exsist but are there not any Carrie S/L? Shinning S/L?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned The New Lt Rap or even The Plant or Gunslinger S/L . I think that 'Salems lot is very rare and only a few exsist but are there not any Carrie S/L? Shinning S/L?
    no carrie limited... no shining limited...as yet.

the NLR's limited run was several hundred
    the plant was a run of 200 +printer's proofs
    gunslinger sl was 500+ +lettereds and various other versions
    so they wouldn't fall in the rarest of the rare as far as i'm concerned.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

There are not any so far.

If you rescue me

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Neither Carrie nor Shining were ever done in a s/l edition. I keep hoping for a Shining, but...

There are a few New Lieutenant's Rap editions and Plant editions around out there. You have to be patient, but they do eventually show up on eBay, ABE, etc.

I have one that is pretty scarce--it's the signed manuscript proof that was handed out as a prize for winners of The Green Mile contest. There were supposed to be six winners of each book, but I've only seen the one for The Green Mile #1--The Two Dead Girls. The others may not exist, or the other 24 contest winners may have all gotten the #1. Either way, it's pretty scarce.

The signature:

John

Country
    Country Flag

Yes I know but the ..."yet..." is what peeks my intrest. I'd love to rummaged sai King's home libary

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice John..thanks for shareing...I didnt know that was around. What about the ARC of Green Mile. I understand that # 1 and 6 are the very hardest to find

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still looking for #6. Here's my #1.

The UK Green Mile #2 proof is pretty scarce too.

One of the scarcest proofs seems to be that of the US Cell.

Of course, lots of the proofs are fairly scarce.

John

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice John..thanks for shareing...I didnt know that was around. What about the ARC of Green Mile. I understand that # 1 and 6 are the very hardest to find
    my understanding is that there are only 5-6 copies of the 1 and 6 GM proofs. i do have a complete set.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How on earth did they make such a dumb error with Cody/Callahan?.

Make me wonder if the synopsis writer had read an early King draft where the character was actually called Father Cody?.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

The Cell?!?! Are you kidding? I sold that to someone for like $75 a year or so back! I thought the minimum printing of King proofs these days is in the half million mark!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm still looking for #6. Here's my #1.

One of the scarcest proofs seems to be that of the US Cell.

John
    suckin'-frukin'-duurkin' .... arrrgh.... waaah...
    still looking for this one that got away from me...

when you selling me yours john?

and shut the *&%$ up dolan...
    you're killin' me

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny. There were rumors that the US Cell proof didn't even exist. I'd really like to know how many are out there.

John

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree that the cream of the crop is a 1st/1st Salem's Lot.

That said, different people will define "rare" their own way. There are items that by themselves are quite rare but for some other feature may be one of a kind.

The UK ARC of DT VII is fairly rare, only 100 numbered copies were issued. I have seen or heard of maybe at most 10 copies. I happen to have a copy signed by both King and Whelan and I like to believe that it may be the ONLY signed copy in existence (for now). I also have a King signed Grant DT VII ARC, also have never seen another signed copy.

Now how rare is this set?
    Signed Carrie 1st edition
    Signed Carried US ARC/Proof
    Signed Carrie 1st UK edition

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    How on earth did they make such a dumb error with Cody/Callahan?.

Make me wonder if the synopsis writer had read an early King draft where the character was actually called Father Cody?.

Father Callahan was in the original manuscript as was Jimmy Cody. Most likely just an honest mistake.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Cell proof

I missed on the Cell proof too, I'm willing to pay more than $75 if anybody wants to get rid of one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast