Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    What kills me is that with a quick go through I see about 21 films that are pretty much "schlock." I shouldn't be able to see 10% "schlock." I guess that one man's "schlock" is another mans art.
    I'm sure some of that "schlock" are a few of my favorite movies.

When the voting starts, I'll vote for the ones I like the most. I won't care how many awards it won or how critically acclaimed it is or what kind of rating it has.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    What kills me is that with a quick go through I see about 21 films that are pretty much "schlock." I shouldn't be able to see 10% "schlock." I guess that one man's "schlock" is another mans art.
    I'm sure we all see some we think shouldn't be there, I know I do. But it takes all kinds to make the world go round I guess.....

Just to add to that, it might even be some folks strategy to second films that they know won't make it far to boost their own nominations' chances of going further. I hope that's not the case....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Shlock is pretty subjective. I can equally appreciate a slow four-hour foreign-language family drama masterpiece like Fanny and Alexander for its obvious craft and museum-level artistic genius as well as utterly enjoy something completely silly like Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, which I just rewatched on Tubi (free to stream! ding!) and loved every minute of it. Sure there are some picks I may not completely agree with, but I feel like we got an incredibly representative collection of '80s goodness, as we've done with the 1990s and the 2000s previously. And shlock was certainly a staple of '80s cinema!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

We all love King and some folks definitely consider some of his books to be very schlocky. If I told you tomorrow that I was working on a movie about a car that kills people, without any prior knowledge of Christine, wouldn't you find that just a tad bit schlocky?

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Shlock is pretty subjective. I can equally appreciate a slow four-hour foreign-language family drama masterpiece like Fanny and Alexander for its obvious craft and museum-level artistic genius as well as utterly enjoy something completely silly like Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, which I just rewatched on Tubi (free to stream! ding!) and loved every minute of it. Sure there are some picks I may not completely agree with, but I feel like we got an incredibly representative collection of '80s goodness, as we've done with the 1990s and the 2000s previously. And shlock was certainly a staple of '80s cinema!
    The 80's seemed like it was filled with lots of comedies. I think this will be the decade with the most comedies in the tournament. Probably a lot of those comedies are what are being called Schlock here. There were so many comidies I was tempted to nominate, but figured if it had come out in the 2000's I wouldn't dare.

Will be interesting to see how the voting goes. Will the comedies fall during the first couple of rounds?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, has anyone been catching up with any of the nominees they haven't seen?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This weekend was all about catching up on Oscar films I had yet to see. Little Women, 1917 and Pain and Glory. I think you would really like Pain and Glory, Mae.

Believe it or not, it's the first Almodovar film I've seen.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I did see Pain and Glory, loved Banderas's performance. I would love for him to win. I hope you watch more Almodóvar, one of the masters! Sad to see Women on the Verge... not seconded here.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    This weekend was all about catching up on Oscar films I had yet to see. Little Women, 1917 and Pain and Glory. I think you would really like Pain and Glory, Mae.

me too. I have seen them all but Little Women did not work for me. I really liked the other films. Pain and Glory I am still missing to.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I figure if there are movies out there that are almost 40 years old and I haven't seen them yet, I'm probably never going to.

Most of the movies I haven't seen I at least have some knowledge of. I know the basic plot or I've seen bits and pieces of them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination:
    The long good Friday.
    https://youtu.be/c-x2t79Yge0

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Watch The Skin I Live In. You'll like it, trust me.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

me too. I have seen them all but Little Women did not work for me. I really liked the other films. Pain and Glory I am still missing to.
    You won't like Pain and Glory.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You won't like Pain and Glory.
    Thanks, passing then. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to create a Letterboxd list called "Movies Webstar Shouldn't Watch."

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Pain and Glory was one of the best movies of 2019.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to create a Letterboxd list called "Movies Webstar Shouldn't Watch."
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Pain and Glory was one of the best movies of 2019.
    It's very good, but I don't think it's something he would like.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Stir Crazy is a great pick, Jon, sorry you just missed the nominations
    It's all good. I can't really contribute much to such a contest anyway.

Should be interesting to read, though!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

And vote!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FUCK!!!!!!!!

I'm so mad at myself. I left A Soldier's Story off my list. Would this have been seconded if I had remembered to include the film on my list and nominated it?

Country
    Country Flag

It's not one I've seen, but I'll check it out now!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not one I've seen, but I'll check it out now!
    It's one of Denzel Washington's first films.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I figure if there are movies out there that are almost 40 years old and I haven't seen them yet, I'm probably never going to.

Most of the movies I haven't seen I at least have some knowledge of. I know the basic plot or I've seen bits and pieces of them.
    So last night I actually did happen to watch one of the nominated movies that I hadn't fully watched previously. Full Metal Jacket. It was ok.

I had watched about half of it before. The first half where they are in boot camp. That was probably the best part of the movie. Mostly due to R. Lee Ermey. Once they leave boot camp and actually get to Vietnam, it was kinda boring.

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I think Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war films ever. That last scene is so haunting...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast