Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Stephen King Book Signing reflections

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default My Stephen King Book Signing reflections

Here are the ones that I can remember:

Toronto- a tortious drive. It was cold there. No surprise. Sitting with my wife in some type of Canadian shopping mall restaurant while several DTers partied at the bar. Wild time. I got my copies of Christine and Cujo signed. If I had been smarter, I would have brought more books as you could go through the line over and over. Complete anarchy.

Savannah, GA - there were no tickets. So first come, first serve. I show up about ten hours beforehand in a deluge. Not a soul to be seen. Got my copies of The Shining and Firestarter signed. King flipped through my copy of Firestarter and point out a bearded picture of himself on the flap. He bent the corner of the flap which would have been a grievance had it been anyone else. He made reference to his joke about looking like Francis Ford Coppola.

George Mason/Fairfax VA - Got my copy of It signed. Mostly painlessly but they strictly enforced some rule about one book per two tickets. A high school friend who didn't give a rat's backside about King brought some book he probably found in the discount bin. I dared him to drop it in the garbage can if King refused to sign but he wouldn't take me up on it.

Portland, ME - Ah the brights lights of Portland. This was a two tripper. You had to go up to get a ticket and then a few weeks later go to the book signing. A brilliant strategy to defeat any capitalist. I got a hair cut at the local mall and mentioned to the lady that I was going to the King book signing. She said "he is a strange looking man." Hard to argue. It was policed with a Gestapo like list of rules that they handed out. My daughter came with me and I took a copy of Thinner on the off chance King might sign it. No luck. The security detail took it from me and passed it around behind him. I have a fond recollection of my copy of Thinner being passed over his head. He did sign my copy of Revival.

Someplace in Maine. This was in a movie theatre. My wife and I went to a terrible Terminator movie there. King sat on stage and signed books. Old ladies were complaining because they were forced to leave their purses outside. King apparently believed they were going to assassinate him.

Nashville. Holy cow. Yankee Stephen King at the Ryman. Surreal. The benches were hard as concrete. One of those random chance signings where they hand out books after the event. Got two signed copies.

Washington DC. George Washington U. King was hilarious that night. Random signed copies.

Sewickley, PA - a swanky suburb of Pittsburgh. Another two-time visit. I showed up around 3AM. There was already a line. Got the ticket. Came back several weeks later for the book signing at some school.

Some college in NY famous because Chevy Chase had attended. Owen and Uncle Stevie. Took my son who was like five to increase the chances of getting a random signed copy. I remember him getting the book and opening to find that it was signed. He grinned like a maniac. He still refers to that as his copy.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Is that list in chronological order? Doesn't seem so.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Is that list in chronological order? Doesn't seem so.
    Not a chance. I think I met you at the George Mason event. In the bar of some hotel.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick's Avatar

Richard any chance you could throw some years up for each event? Some of us newer to the game weren’t around for all of those… would love to know approximately when each event occurred…
    WANTED
    DT Limiteds #293, #398
    70s Inscribed Stand
    70s Inscribed Shining
    YOP Inscribed Firestarter

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cool stories; thanks for posting.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by mcbanick View Post
    Richard any chance you could throw some years up for each event? Some of us newer to the game weren’t around for all of those… would love to know approximately when each event occurred…
    There is a list of events dates tickets etc… On this site. Somewhere

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I looked and couldn't find a thread about King signing event dates. There is a thread with tips about going to a signing, and a thread with King book release dates, but no specific thread for actual dates of all signings. Perhaps someone with better search skills can find one.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Some interesting experiences for you.
    The only SK book I would be interested in having signed is my well worn first edition 'Salem's Lot paperback purchased at Walgreens in August of 1976.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

So envious of you. I have never been to a "signing" event, although I did go to a talk in Milwaukee to promote Sleeping Beauties with Owen, but I did not get a signed copy.

To date, its the only SK related event I have been to, looking forward to KingCon later this year.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Some interesting experiences for you.
    The only SK book I would be interested in having signed is my well worn first edition 'Salem's Lot paperback purchased at Walgreens in August of 1976.
    Sometimes your thoughts are so esoteric.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I looked and couldn't find a thread about King signing event dates. There is a thread with tips about going to a signing, and a thread with King book release dates, but no specific thread for actual dates of all signings. Perhaps someone with better search skills can find one.
    https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...ighlight=books
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Country
    Country Flag

The Sewickley PA event was on June 8, 2016. By some miracle I still have a ticket. The best that I can remember it was a random signed handout of End of Watch. Got one out of two signed.

The Nashville event at the Ryman was a week later on June 11, 2016. He was introduced by Ann Pratchett who is an author and owns a local bookstore. The benches were rock hard! Got two of three signed.

The Savannah, Georgia signing was around Feb. 20, 2012. I got my first edition of the Shining and Firestarter signed. King flipped through the latter and found his picture to make his joke about Coppola. This one was crazy because they kept asking people to buy copies of 11.22.63 which would allow you to any other book signed. If only I had brought some extras.
    https://www.wtoc.com/story/16971332/...book-festival/

The New York event was on Sept. 27, 2017 at Bard College. That was the Owen and Uncle Stevie appearance. Random handout. Got both copies of Sleeping Beauties signed.

Toronto. I think this was Oct. 24, 2013. They handed out presigned copies of Dr. Sleep. And then you were allowed to go through the line after the event. Unreal. I got him to sign Christine and Cujo. Should have brought more as he was in a signing mood.

Wash DC/George Washington University Nov. 12, 2014 - Revival tour. Random signed copies. Got two of three. Also Nov. 17 at Portland, ME. Got a couple more copies signed at a bookstore which he signed in front of at books a million. It was coming a deluge outside.

George Mason Sept. 23, 2011. Wow how time flies. This was over a decade ago. King signed my copy of It. The rule was one signed copy per two tickets. Made for a lot of bad relationships.
    https://www.gmu.edu/news/2022-10/ret...fall-book-2011

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=RichardX;1277150]
    George Mason Sept. 23, 2011. Wow how time flies. This was over a decade ago. King signed my copy of It. The rule was one signed copy per two tickets. Made for a lot of bad relationships.
    https://www.gmu.edu/news/2022-10/ret...fall-book-2011
    My recollection is a bit diferent. We had tickets to the the VIP social preceding the event. At the social King came out and mixed with the crowd. Asking for or getting an item signed during the reception was forbidden, and tightly, (but not draconian) regulated. King was not drinking alcohol but most everyone else was, and King was polite and moved throughout the room posing for dozens of photos.

When King left the room, I caught him in the hallway and since no one had a book handy, he signed my drink ticket stub.
    As for the reading and signing, my wife and I had two tickets, and we each got a King book signed (mine was a 1st The Shining), and my wife as a favor to a friend got an orange Gunslinger proof signed. One of only two believed to exist in a signed state.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick's Avatar

Love these stories. Thank you both for sharing. I didn’t realize that each the events RichardX listed were all relatively recent
    WANTED
    DT Limiteds #293, #398
    70s Inscribed Stand
    70s Inscribed Shining
    YOP Inscribed Firestarter

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Toronto. I think this was Oct. 24, 2013. They handed out presigned copies of Dr. Sleep. And then you were allowed to go through the line after the event. Unreal. I got him to sign Christine and Cujo. Should have brought more as he was in a signing mood. [/url]
    Was this the one where he was inducted into the Canadian booksellers HOF or whatever they called it? Clive Barker also spoke? If so, my wife and I went to this one. First one and only one I’ve ever gone to. Didn’t even know they handed out signed copies of books or that you could get any signed. Just went to see him and Clive speak and have a weekend with my wife.
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    Was this the one where he was inducted into the Canadian booksellers HOF or whatever they called it? Clive Barker also spoke? If so, my wife and I went to this one. First one and only one I’ve ever gone to. Didn’t even know they handed out signed copies of books or that you could get any signed. Just went to see him and Clive speak and have a weekend with my wife.
    Different events.
    The one you are thinking of happened around the time LISEYS STORY was released, so 2006-ish? they were selling copies of LISEYS STORY in the lobby, but none were pre-signed.
    it was a good event and it was very cool to see the presentation, but no signings of any kind at that one. I was in the seat behind King for the event, and a couple of people approached him to sign something, but Tabby was running a strong interference game that day and wouldn't allow it.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I was thinking there was no signing but it’s been a few years now and my memory isn’t what it once was……..
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My reflection comes from an event sponsored by Waterside's Booksellers back on November 30, 1998 at the Circle Cinema in Brookline, Massachusetts. King was reading from Bag of Bones. Sparkling cider was served at the event. King would only sign Bag of Bones, and we were told he would only inscribe. This was great because my wife and I were getting married the next summer, and both of being high school English teachers, we had decided that instead of numbered tables at our wedding we would have tables representing our favorite authors, with the center piece being a hardcover edition of one of our favorite books (the King table, the Puzo table, etc.) - of course, we had hoped for a special message from King.

When we finally got to King we were able to engage in a brief conversation where we told him how our vocational high school has a lot of reluctant readers and how we use a lot of his works in class (Eyes of the Dragon, The Mist, Shawshank, Carrie, and an assortment of short stories). He thought that was great and he asked our names and then inscribed our book "To Greg and Denise: Keep Teaching My Books!" When it came to our second book, my wife explained our wedding idea, which he also loved, and he graciously added a note "To the special person attending Greg and Denise's wedding. Enjoy the festivities!" My friend still has it. We really lucked out. It was a great night!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    My reflection comes from an event sponsored by Waterside's Booksellers back on November 30, 1998 at the Circle Cinema in Brookline, Massachusetts. King was reading from Bag of Bones. Sparkling cider was served at the event. King would only sign Bag of Bones, and we were told he would only inscribe. This was great because my wife and I were getting married the next summer, and both of being high school English teachers, we had decided that instead of numbered tables at our wedding we would have tables representing our favorite authors, with the center piece being a hardcover edition of one of our favorite books (the King table, the Puzo table, etc.) - of course, we had hoped for a special message from King.

When we finally got to King we were able to engage in a brief conversation where we told him how our vocational high school has a lot of reluctant readers and how we use a lot of his works in class (Eyes of the Dragon, The Mist, Shawshank, Carrie, and an assortment of short stories). He thought that was great and he asked our names and then inscribed our book "To Greg and Denise: Keep Teaching My Books!" When it came to our second book, my wife explained our wedding idea, which he also loved, and he graciously added a note "To the special person attending Greg and Denise's wedding. Enjoy the festivities!" My friend still has it. We really lucked out. It was a great night!
    Great story! Congrats!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

I've been to three signings, all in London. One for Bag of Bones and two for Lisey's Story. Forgot to take a camera both times like an idiot! Got the limited edition of 999 signed (again stupidly I sold it when I got rid of most of my collection). He told me that he had only signed a couple of them before.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Toronto. I think this was Oct. 24, 2013. They handed out presigned copies of Dr. Sleep. And then you were allowed to go through the line after the event. Unreal. I got him to sign Christine and Cujo. Should have brought more as he was in a signing mood. [/url]
    Clive Barker wasn't at the Toronto event that I attended. It was Margaret Atwood as I recall.

Country
    Country Flag

I believe she interviewed SK but I seem to recall Clive Barker spoke prior. I just remember him in some multi-colored outfit. I found a poster from that event but can’t find the program that I’m sure was handed out. I’ll keep looking…..
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Country
    Country Flag

Found a link that shows the speech Clive gave at that award……

https://www.clivebarker.info/newsstephenking.html
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

He's actually done more in the last 10+ years than I would have thought.

So the events I've been too -

2002 Pleasantville NY for DT V, although this wasn't really a signing. There was a Q+A with Janet Maslin I think, and then we got copies of the book. There was a reception but he wasn't feeling well.

2003 (?) Pleasantville again - for Buick 8. Watched Cujo with him in attendance and then got a signed book.

2008 (?) Harvard - this was a signing for Best American Short Stories. Huuuuge crowd, loooong line, looooooong wait. No inscriptions, just sigs. I actually asked him to personalize the book and he just grunted at me.

2012 (?) Portsmouth, NH for Full Black, No Stars - very well-run event for a small bookstore. I tried to make stupid small talk and he grunted again.

2014 (?) Bridgton, Maine - again a well-run event, this time I avoided small talk and just said "thanks" and moved along. But then outside after the event he came out and a few people and me tried to see if he'd sign more by following him to his car and even in the moment it just felt gross. That was the moment that started to turn me off collecting.

I feel like I'm missing one, but maybe that's it.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Rahfa, In think the Brighton Maine event was in July (12th?) 2015

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast