Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The 2nd Annual (2010) Constant Reader Awards!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:!: Announcement: The 2nd Annual (2010) Constant Reader Awards!

Heya guys! Last year, The Constant Reader Awards were, as Borat would say, "great success", and it was decided we would hold them on an annual basis. Well, the time you all no doubt have been waiting for so anxiously is at hand!

Aaron, who really was the mastermind behind last year's CRAs (I only came up with the general concept), is inundated with life and so has given the reins over to me. Hopefully, like last time, Jean will be able to lend a hand.

The format will be largely the same. The first polls of Round One will open up March 1st. The first four brackets will go up, and will be open for a week. There will be a total of 12 brackets in the first round, so it will take three weeks. All King books will be graded on a scale of 1-5, inlcuding Under the Dome.

Alongside, we will also begin nomination threads for our various Appended Categories.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Thank you for taking the reins on this one, pablo!

I'm excited to see if the winners this year will be different from last year.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Woowhoo! Looking forward to this. I'm sure you'll do great, pablo !!!

( and if I can help at all, don't hesitate to ask )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! I'm totally looking forward to this!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds awesome. Thanks, pablo, for getting this started!
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh cool, i only came in part way through last year

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so glad to see these back. I am going to make sure everyone on SKMB knows we are doing it too.

I'll make sure notices go up like we did last year.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know my votes will be a bit different this year than they were last year. I've done a few re-reads and found that I like some better than I used to and some less! Thanks for doing all this, pablo - should be fun!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

, pablo! Now I'll be able to participate, too. yay!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first polls will open up a bit later this afternoon, so get your polling hats on, everybody!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'm ready!

Country
    Country Flag

Aaaand we're underway! Go to the Round 1--Ranking sub-forum to vote NOW.

Like last time, polls will be open exactly for one week, after which they'll automatically close, and we'll reveal the Final Average Score (or "FAS") for each book. As per our rules, the two books with the best FAS move onto Round 2.

Have fun, everyone!

Country
    Country Flag

I'd also like to remind you (and let the newcomers know) that while the bracket winner and runner-up will automatically progress to the second round, after all the voting of the first round is completed the top six "losing" books will also move on, as the so-called wildcards. Quick note on a small change in the roster of our pollable books: I decided to remove Nightmares in the Sky from voting (if you don't know which book I'm talking about that's exactly the reason why), and replace it with Under the Dome, causing a small shift in how books are seeded in brackets as compared with last year's tournament.

Just like last year, the next brackets will go up three days after the previous, to cut down on overall time spent on this tournament, which will take a considerable time to complete as it is (last time we commenced with Round 1 on November 11, 2008 and finished the last of the voting on March 5, 2009: 3 months and 23 days).

Country
    Country Flag

Now I just need to look over all our data from the first CRAs (available here, if you're curious, especially those that will be participating in this for the first time), and remember how we calculated and tabulated everything. It was pretty thorough

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

thank you for the explanations Pablo, and thank you for doing this again this year
    I am now all of a do

Country
    Country Flag

Sure thing. If anyone's not clear on anything dealing for the Constant Reader Awards, feel free to ask me (or Matt, or Hannah, or Jean...). Also, the 2009 Constant Reader Awards forum is an archive of all the deliberations, polls, and stats from last time. A good thread to look at is 2009: Final Overall Standings, which is a table of all the important data collected during the entire 2009 CRA. Another useful thread is 2009: Overview of the Awards, which is a list of all Constant Reader Awards winners.

Aaron's original How to Vote thread from last time is a good sort of FAQ, in case anyone's totally confused about the whole thing.

Along the Path of the Beam vacant lot is on a distinguished road vacant lot's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

This project sounds very interesting. Going to spend sometime getting to know the process and then jump in. Thanks for providing all the back info.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

woohoo! Been looking forward to this.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Yes! Jean's opened up the Appended Categories nomination threads. These Constant Reader Awards are not just about the books themselves, though that's the focus point. We're also deciding on a multitude of other "best" awards (and in some cases "worst"!), just like at the Oscars. So head on over to that sub-forum and check out all the threads! Thank you.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. It's been a year already? K den, cool beans.

My Mood
    Amused

I've got to say that pablo and Jean are really kicking some ass this year on this.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Seconded

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast