Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: General Podcast Discussion

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default General Podcast Discussion

Since we have general discussion threads for most types of media, I thought it was overdue that we had one for podcasts. Although for whatever reason podcasts don't seem very popular with our membership, I can't get enough, personally.

I've started two threads in the past about specific podcasts (Serial and Welcome to Night Vale) but they have been less than active, sadly.

Podcasts are extremely popular and I'm hoping listeners can share and talk about some of their favorites here. And they are so varied, be it true crime, fiction, current events, history, music, what have you. Here's a recent article about some of the best new shows out there: http://time.com/5275708/best-podcasts-of-2018-so-far/

As I've posted in various other threads, I'm currently listening to the Truth & Justice podcast, which started as a Serial fan show and has evolved greatly. I just binged all of Seasons 1 through 5 in a matter of weeks. I'm also, as I just mentioned in another thread, listening to You Must Remember Manson, a season from the You Must Remember This podcast, doing an extremely deep exploration of the Manson murders. Fascinating stuff.

I do love true crime podcasts and in the past I've also listened, am listening, or have queued up: In the Dark (astonishing and perhaps better than Serial), Someone Knows Something, S-Town (limited series from This American Life and Serial), Dirty John, Missing & Murdered, Undisclosed and Crime Writers On (both of which also started off as a Serial follow-up), Slow Burn, and a few others.

I also like some of the fictional podcasts, mainly from Night Vale Presents, such as the titular Welcome to Night Vale, but also all their other shows like Alice Isn't Dead or Within the Wires. There is also a really good and super funny new podcast called Gossip which I'm a big fan of.

On the more serious side of things, I have a bunch of current events and news podcats as well, mainly from NPR and their affiliates, you know the usual things like This American Life, Radiolab, Fresh Air, etc.

For history podcasts the best one I'm currently listening to is The History of English podcast, which goes into the evolution of the English language in excruciating detail along with history of England, from prehistoric roots of the language to modern English. Awesome and educational.

For anyone interested and LGBTQ issues, one of the best podcasts is probably Queery with Cameron Esposito. It's fun, insightful, and it can make you cry. It's helped me tons personally.

Finally, for Stephen King related stuff, check out The Losers Club from Consequence of Sound. Designed as a re-read project of King's entire oeuvre, it's much more than just that. The hosts are (pretty) knowledgeable King fans and very detail-oriented, but are also professional reviewers of media, so their book episodes are awesome and lengthy discussions about plot, characters, and all things of that sort. Just tremendous stuff, and since my commutes are long, listening at 1.25 speed (something I do for all my non-musical podcasts), I get through their 2-3 hour episodes usually in a day.

Phew! That was a lot. Sorry about that. What about y'all?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I just finished listening to the Dirty John podcast. So good! I started it yesterday and finished today because I couldn't stop listening

And I just started Teachers Pet. Has anyone listened to this one yet?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have Teacher’s Pet in my queue and have been meaning to begin it. How is it? And have you checked out In the Dark?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm only part way through the second episode, but so far so good. I'll let you know as I get more into it. And no I haven't but I just added it to my list. I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds really interesting. Which season? Or would you recommend both?

Country
    Country Flag

I was completely addicted to Season 1. As I said in my first post, it might have been better than Serial's Season 1. Very disturbing and scary as the theme is child abduction. Haven't delved into Season 2 yet. Another amazing and gripping true crime series is Someone Knows Something.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for these suggestions. I really need to up my podcast game, as the majority I listen to are comedians that are just burning off material that isn’t quite good enough for the stage

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    Thanks for these suggestions. I really need to up my podcast game, as the majority I listen to are comedians that are just burning off material that isn’t quite good enough for the stage
    There's definitely a place for those kinds of podcasts and I listen to some interview and Q&A-types of podcasts, but I feel like what podacsts do best is these longform investigative stories, which is why true crime podcasting is such a huge phenomenon. They even have their own cons, like Comic Con.

Yeah, the other podcast I listen to on a weekly basis is Bitch Sesh, which is 2 female comedians discussing real housewives shows. It's hilarious

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Yeah, the other podcast I listen to on a weekly basis is Bitch Sesh, which is 2 female comedians discussing real housewives shows. It's hilarious
    I'm a real big fan of Unladylike, it's a very proudly feminist podcast and it's also often a lot of fun, despite covering some controversial topics. The two hosts are pretty dope gals.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm a real big fan of Unladylike, it's a very proudly feminist podcast and it's also often a lot of fun, despite covering some controversial topics. The two hosts are pretty dope gals.
    Based on this feedback, I’ll at least mention Self Helpless - 3 female comics talking about shit they’ve dealt with and basically commenting on their attempts to better themselves. They have decent experts on from time and time and the girls are very genuine about not only their own efforts, but they really go the extra mile to help out their listeners who share some of their issues

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so behind on podcasts. I haven't listened to Tim and Sid (Toronto Sports) barely at all in 2018. I haven't listened to Talk is Jericho since the Spring. I do listen to The Dick Show every week (and these episodes are usually somewhere around 3 hrs) because it's hilarious and the past 12 months just had so much drama...not too many podcast hosts get sued for 380 million dollars! Frankly, between The Dick Show and all the extra side material on the lawsuit, it really monopolized a lot of my time. A big issue with podcasts for me is that if I'm writing or doing anything too engaging, I either can't listen to it or I miss too much being distracted.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Thanks Mae and Earl, I'll have to check those 2 out. Episode 2 of Teachers Pet dropped some disturbing info that I wasn't expecting. I can't believe some of the stuff that goes on in this world.

Matt I mainly listen on my commute to and from work, which is long. And if I'm doing something mindless at work I can listen some more then.

Country
    Country Flag

Same, my commute, especially back, is about an hour, sometimes longer, plus I have an hour for lunch. You can get a lot of podcast done in that time.

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I'm really happy our podcast discussion is finally taking off, thanks to Heather for reviving this thread I started last year!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm so behind on podcasts. I haven't listened to Tim and Sid (Toronto Sports) barely at all in 2018. I haven't listened to Talk is Jericho since the Spring. I do listen to The Dick Show every week (and these episodes are usually somewhere around 3 hrs) because it's hilarious and the past 12 months just had so much drama...not too many podcast hosts get sued for 380 million dollars! Frankly, between The Dick Show and all the extra side material on the lawsuit, it really monopolized a lot of my time. A big issue with podcasts for me is that if I'm writing or doing anything too engaging, I either can't listen to it or I miss too much being distracted.
    A big problem for me as well. I enjoyed S1 of Serial like everyone else but I have such poor mental discipline that either my mind drifts or I get distracted by something shiny and ultimately miss something vital. After seeing some of these suggestions though, I need to take another crack at some of these as they sound great

Country
    Country Flag

That’s why I can’t do audiobook (plus I just enjoy holding a hardcover). But I can do podcasts fine, but yes if I’m not super into it the mind can start to wander.

Country
    Country Flag

That’s why I can’t do audiobook (plus I just enjoy holding a hardcover). But I can do podcasts fine, but yes if I’m not super into it the mind can start to wander.
    This is also me. I’ve flat out given up on audio books. I’ll always be a HC guy. Although I like to read John LeCarre on my iPad bc he sometimes uses words I don’t know and I love being able to learn their definition with two finger taps

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I literally just started listening to podcasts. Heather got me into Truth & Justice. I jumped in at Season 5 because of our shared interest (obsession? ) with the West Memphis Three case.

Other than that, I listen to movie podcasts (big shocker, I know) and podcasts about baseball prospects.

So I just finished listening to the Dirty John podcast. So good! I started it yesterday and finished today because I couldn't stop listening
    I know we were talking about limited series TV shows in another thread, but are you planning on watching the Dirty John TV show? I loved it. If I didn't know it was based on a true story, I would have thought it was all made up.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Heather got me into Truth & Justice.
    Yes! The army grows!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Audiobooks aren't as bad. When you've got 4 people having a conversation, it's harder to follow. I listen to most of my podcasts when I play video games.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Heather got me into Truth & Justice.
    Yes! The army grows!
    Yes Mike, you have Mae to thank. She's the one that got me into T&J. What point are you at? I really want to read The Devils Knot, because the podcast introduced all this new information that I never knew about just from watching the documentaries. And I do hope you continue on with Season 6, it's so good! And if you haven't yet you should check out the Dirty John podcast. I watched the show first, and then went back and listened to it. It's really short, maybe 6 episodes long so it's not a huge time investment.

Also Mae you need to listen to Teachers Pet. I'm up to episode 8, and it's so crazy. It's not as well produced as Serial or Dirty John, but the story is so insane. This woman pretty much goes missing and no one ever reports her as missing except for her husband 6 weeks later. It's baffling to me how everyone stayed so quiet about a lot of stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I just started it, thanks to you, only one episode in and I can already tell it will be intense. Also, I hope you guys that started T&J at Season 5 for the West Memphis Three case go back and listen to the previous seasons, they are all excellent. Season 2 is especially complicated and fascinating.

Yes I definitely plan to. My only issue is the seasons are so long. I had a little break in between audiobooks so I decided to listen to a few of these shorter podcasts. Is season 2 the Ed Ates case?

Country
    Country Flag

They're definitely long and the Season 2 case about Ed Ates is probably the longest. But is so worth it.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Crime writer Michael Connelly has a new podcast - The Murder Book. https://www.murderbookpodcast.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast