Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Michael Crichton

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Collectible Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton is one of my favorite authors and I'm slowly building a collection of trade 1st editions of his books. This is what I have so far. I would like to upgrade some of them to NF/F-condition copies some day.

I just realized that I didn't take pics yet of my 1sts of DISCLOSURE and TRAVELS.

The nice thing about collecting Michael Crichton is that even though he did not write a very large number of books one can also obtain various proofs/ARCs, signed/limited editions (the Franklin Library books come to mind) and of course the books that he wrote under his pseudonyms John Lange, Jeffery Hudson and Michael Douglas (with his brother Douglas).

Personally, I would like to try and complete a collection of the trade 1sts of all his pseudonyms. The John Lange paperbacks are not all that easy to find and most of them are quite expensive!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice collection, Michaël! I really enjoy Crichton too and have a fairly extensive collection of his first trades as well. My favorite find is a copy of the Eaters of the Dead (also my favorite book, coincidentally) that I found in near mint condition for $3 at a local rummage sale last summer. I'll have to take a picture of it (and a couple others you are missing) and add it to the list!

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Some really cool book covers there! Are they all from the same publishing house?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I've only read a couple of Crichton's novels but really liked them. And I enjoy looking at your copies of his books!
    The only 'collectible' I have is a near mint copy of the 1st US paperback of THE TERMINAL MAN.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen this new Barnes & Noble edition? Jurassic Park / The Lost World (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)

From the B&N page:
    This volume contains the full text of both of Michael Crichton s bestselling novels. Featuring a beautifully stamped bonded leather cover, gilt edging, colorful endpapers, and a satin-ribbon bookmark, this collectible edition is a fine addition to any home library.

Pretty nice for only $20!

Hunter

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

B&N has a lot of those "collectible" books, and this is one of the nicer ones. But, some of them are into multiple printings, and they are usually sealed. If you always want a first edition of whatever the book is, you need to be careful with them. But they are very nice.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw a stack of those last week. Very nice looking and feeling book, but I noticed no numberline, so much like a Book Club edition, it is hard/impossible to tell if there is a 1st edition.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i just have "Lost World" & "Airframe" in hardback but i've yet to read "Airframe' though. is it any good?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Hunter! I didn't know that one but I may go try and find one. My priority right now is to upgrade my paperbacks and get all the hardcovers but $20 is really cheap.

Do any of you guys have Crichton S/Ls? I'd love to see those.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

which one is that? i don't know his work that well actually.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i just have "Lost World" & "Airframe" in hardback but i've yet to read "Airframe' though. is it any good?
    I liked AIRFRAME quite a bit! And regarding your other post, I was wondering if any of the other members here have some of the signed/limited (S/L) editions of Crichton's books. I have seen some pics online but I would love to see close-up photos and/or pics of the books together on a bookshelf

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I saw a stack of those last week. Very nice looking and feeling book, but I noticed no numberline, so much like a Book Club edition, it is hard/impossible to tell if there is a 1st edition.
    I don't know if all of the B&N books have numberlines. I was looking at an open copy of Wicked/Son of a Witch and it did show a numberline that was on the 3rd or 4th printing. I just assumed they were all like that.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

none of my books of his are signed unfortunally.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I talked myself into it. I picked up the B&N edition today. I haven't opened the shrinkwrap yet to see if it has a numberline....

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

Let us know when you do - curious to see what it says

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is a gorgeous book, and the price is low. Enjoy it. The lowest it will go is zero. If you enjoy it and spent ~$20 that's cool. About the same as 6 gallons of gas.

Country
    Country Flag

All true, Randall!

It does have a number line. The copyright page says, "Printed in China, November 2010" and then has "9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" below that.

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

Hunter,

Thanks for confirming the numberline issue. I better head on out and get one this week!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also collect MC and I have a complete collection of all his 1sts, except the paperback originals. Love his books. I started a couple of years ago only: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?2182.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone yet read Micro?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I haven't been encouraged by the reviews.

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't even seen one, but I haven't really been looking. I have the book, of course. It was billed as a new Jurassic Park.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The ones I've read complain that Preston filled the book full of details written in flat prose. I haven't seen anything complimentary in the main press. Even the Amazon review matrix is less than encouraging:

37 Reviews
    5 star: (7)
    4 star: (2)
    3 star: (7)
    2 star: (10)
    1 star: (11)

I think I'll pass on it.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't really collect Crichton, but have many of his books. Years ago I bought the gift edition of Jurassic Park. I have always wondered if the signature by Crichton on the tipped-in page is actually his or a facsimile. Anybody know?

It was created using an auto-pen capable of producing up to 3000 "autographs" a day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast