• 2 - not satisfied, although there are things I liked about the ending

25 9.19%
  • 1 - completely dissatisfied

8 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1275

Thread: The Official End Thread

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

HISHE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcF7...ure=popt00us0a

"Who wants some eternity water"??????????

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think Patrick Danville's power quite works like that, but some interesting and rather gruesome ideas. I wouldn't quite like that version either (no offence) but I agree that the foreshadowing should count for something. Mind you, I guess one could argue that those who made the prophesy were just wrong, or intended it to be self fulfilling. By that I mean it wasn't really fated at all, more a statement that the King and his henchmen tried to implement, but even so...

All the major villains seemed way bellow their potential though. The MOST satisfying was probably Roland's slaying of Mordred. That was both devastating on one hand (Oy) but pretty cool all in all. He was way underused as a villain though. And I won't even get into what happened to Walter (or rather, not so much what happened, as when it happened) but I think he should have survived long enough to be the villain in the Dandelo bit. Considering the crystal palace, that bit seemed to be the kind of thing he might pull, but never mind. The IT references were cool.

I was somewhat disappointed with that ending too. Not so much the Danville painting/rubbing out bit. I quite like that. I just wish we'd seen the Crimson King using more of his power after being built up so much. I understand the reasoning that has been given, but it would have been nice if that had been made a bit more explicit, if they had to take this more depowered route.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When i voted in this thread, (whenever the hell that was,) i thought the ending was perfect and gave it a 5. Having just finished the series for the 2nd time (and, i imagine, it'll be quite a while before there's a 3rd time, with all the book series i need to read), i'm reminded of how much Mordred sucked, and how dissapointing the battle between Roland and the Crimson King was, but despite that, I still love that ending, the true ending of the coda. I just thought that, despite how much Roland had redeemed himself, it was very fitting to show how much his obsession has ruined his life. The ending still sent shivers down my spine as it did the first time, and i still felt a compulsion to listen to Just by Radiohead right afterwards (don't ask me why, i just love that song). So whilst i have a few problems with how the final volume ended (although, considering how much plot it was able to pack in and how most of it went, it's just a couple of (admittedly pretty major) parts that i disliked, i'd give it a 4/5 overall), i'd still give the ending itself a 5/5.

Well, that's one awesome long series done, now it's time to start seeing what all the fuss of A Song of Ice and Fire is all about...
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The ending may have fit and been appropriate but I was dissatisfied. Probably because I didn't want it to end.

But als0--I did not like the alternate NYC ending with Eddie, Suze and Jake
    Felt the Crimson King and Roland's last battle was anticlimatic
    Felt that Mordred could have been more evil

I guess the ending was "right" give the idea that Roland is compulsively trying to reach the tower life after life, but I think the ultimate reality is I did not want the books to end and no ending could have been "big enough"
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just think that he tried too hard to please everyone. A lot of people prefer what he gave us to what they figure that he could have given us; but I imagine that I still would have preferred the kind of thing that they wouldn't have.

Traveler detroitdave is on a distinguished road

Brownstown Twp (southern suburb of Detroit)
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the Dark Tower VII last week. I began reading the series way back in the early 90's and started over again last year (as novels IV through VII did not yet exist my first time through). I like many others who have posted, was disappointed not with the ending...or beginning again if you like. My disappointment comes from knowing my journey through the epic story had come to an end. I don't think there ever is a "good way" to end something so deep and compelling. As with many other forms of great storytelling (tv shows, movie series), the disappointment is that it is over.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Never mind. While it is over (in a sense) there's a bit more journey 'in between' to come.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdave View Post
    I just finished the Dark Tower VII last week. I began reading the series way back in the early 90's and started over again last year (as novels IV through VII did not yet exist my first time through). I like many others who have posted, was disappointed not with the ending...or beginning again if you like. My disappointment comes from knowing my journey through the epic story had come to an end. I don't think there ever is a "good way" to end something so deep and compelling. As with many other forms of great storytelling (tv shows, movie series), the disappointment is that it is over.
    Exactly.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdave View Post
    Yeah, this mostly. I have to say that philosophically I agree with the end and that it was the "right" ending, but I that doesn't mean that I liked it! I guess I am was wanting Roland to find something heavenly or just really cool at the top of the tower and I was disappointed for him. Or, maybe just disappointed for me.

But I guess in teh end, I also wanted to series to keep going. But I wanted a closure too. Maybe I just could not be satisfied with any ending, that is probably it.

And I agree the ending seemed rushed like he was pressured to come up with an ending. It was a good ending. It was the right ending. I could not envision a better ending.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

I liked the final ending in the tower. It left it open for me to dream of the resumption of the quest and what he should do differently.

I didn't like the part with Suze, or the parts with the Crimson King, Flagg or Mordred. The way the Crimson King was so easily dispatched was probably my least favorite part of the whole series.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Gasherman View Post
    I liked the final ending in the tower. It left it open for me to dream of the resumption of the quest and what he should do differently.
    Agreed. I've been complaining a little about the final scene, but that is indeed a good point.
    ... The way the Crimson King was so easily dispatched was probably my least favorite part of the whole series.
    Not my own very least favorite, but I really agree with you there, too! Disappointing.
    ... or Mordred...
    Uh, kind of... that could certainly have been better...
    ... or ... with ... Flagg...
    Nah, now, that part I liked somewhat. I understand, though; we have another thread where lots of folken have complained about it.
    I didn't like the part with Suze...
    And that I liked totally, actually. It's another topic which we have a separate thread on, as well.
    Funny how many ways different people view all of these elements.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and there's another thing that I disliked more than how Mordred turned out: Patrick Danville.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the way it ended because it let you be able to read the story over again if you wanted to. I try to read the series from beginning to end starting in January. I've reread it twice so far.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I actually liked the part with the ka-tet back in New York. They gave everything and were rewarded for it.

I wonder why did the tower pick Roland? And why does it demand perfection? We all have our imperfections and Roland was going to sacrifice everything for it. He has done it before. Isn't that enough already?

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

i can't say i was satisfied with the ending, but for one reason, which i doubt has been named thus far: it was too predictable. all that ka-is-a-wheel shit, you honestly knew it was gonna end with a thud if you thought laterally for even one second. and honestly, the ending didn't feel like the truth. at all. like, he goes through the door, only this time, he has the Horn, and yet it's apparent by Rollie's own memory as he passes through the door that this has occurred repeatedly, and so why is it just now he finally comes through with the Horn? way too contrived for my taste. as i've stated on other threads, the entire last three volumes felt rushed and forced, as if poor mr. king was hellbent for leather on finishing the series as quick as possible after his car accident just in case he didn't live long enough to do it properly. personal opinion, w/o the accident, we'd just now be looking at the release of book 6, accordin to the schedule of the previous volumes in the series. just...felt like a completely dishonest ending.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading it about an hour ago. Started The Gunslinger about 6-7 years ago, and have obviously taken my time with it all.

I felt very invested in the story and characters (as no doubt everyone here did), and at first I had to take a deep breath and realise what I had just read.

Spoiler:
    I wasn't expecting exactly what happened, but as he was walking up The Tower, I knew it was building up to something that I thought I would dread.
    Now I've had a bit of time to think about it, I'm very happy with it. It kinda keeps the story alive, and the characters still together (or will be together again).

I'm sure I'll focus on other areas of the final book and already have a few issues with things like the alternatate NY etc, but overall, I'm pleased with it, and will love reading ther series again in the future.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the ending but I will say that Suze choosing to leave Roland because Eddie wasn't there was a copout on her part. She could've have made it to the Tower with Roland because she said she would do it and believed in it. To think Eddie was worried that Roland would leave her behind for the DT in the DOTT. All in all I'm glad sai King "ended" the way he did. Btw I love this board and I'm sad I just found it and missed all of the great posts.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

how did you miss them? they're all here

there is a thread somewhere about Susannah's decision (which I advocate, by the way), too

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... there is a thread somewhere about Susannah's decision (which I advocate, by the way), too
    So you're consistent. It seems that the majority favor the theory that Roland's quest is simply an unhealthy obsession, yet also disdain Susannah for not sharing it.

In general, (though I'm open minded, and sometimes even joke about the issues) my personal position endorses Susannah's ultimate decision for her and also Roland's for him.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why, of course

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    how did you miss them? they're all here

there is a thread somewhere about Susannah's decision (which I advocate, by the way), too
    I should say I'm a couple of years late on the discussions but better later than never Thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't find a thread about this but it sort of has to do with the end so I'll post it here. I HATE the way Flagg/ MIB is killed off. I mean really? Killed by a F'in spider because he was tired. I think that was lazy of Stephen King to kill him the way he did.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

King went out of his way to justify his work by adding the essay "On Being Nineteen" to the revision of DT1 he published after writing DT7, an essay which says that literary writers are just as selfish as commercial ones, in that they're basically introverted, they want to improve themselves and be good examples, not serve the audience's wishes. But then he slams his audience at the end of the series and shows Roland punished apparently for not being introverted enough or a good enough example. It's really quite tricky -- his mixed message makes EVERYBODY guilty.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    I couldn't find a thread about this but it sort of has to do with the end so I'll post it here. I HATE the way Flagg/ MIB is killed off. I mean really? Killed by a F'in spider because he was tired. I think that was lazy of Stephen King to kill him the way he did.
    If you think Mordred was just a fucking spider then you need to do a re-read. Especially all that build up with the explanation of the prophecy. Yeah. Just a spider. Okay. Just say you don't like your favorite baddie getting dispatched like a bitch and just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    King went out of his way to justify his work by adding the essay "On Being Nineteen" to the revision of DT1 he published after writing DT7, an essay which says that literary writers are just as selfish as commercial ones, in that they're basically introverted, they want to improve themselves and be good examples, not serve the audience's wishes. But then he slams his audience at the end of the series and shows Roland punished apparently for not being introverted enough or a good enough example. It's really quite tricky -- his mixed message makes EVERYBODY guilty.
    Path, Path, Path...that was no "justification" that was explanation of why he revised The Gunslinger. Sounds to me like you've built up in your own mind your own idea of what King was "really" meaning by his essay, instead of just taking it at face value. There is no mixed message. There is exactly what he said. You may not like what he said and that's fine but don't give me the mixed message crap.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 LastLast