Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 972 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 506 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Kenny. I appreciate it!

John

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

John--I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers & thoughts are with you & your family.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Ves. Her passing was a surprise, but not a shock. She'd been in bad shape for a long time.

John

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, my oldest boy turned 16 yesterday! In addition to the regular birthday stuff we do (each family member writes a letter to the bithday person), my wife and I wanted to honor him in a special way, as 16 is a pivotal year. Without his knowledge she solicited written birthday letters/wishes/observations from all of our extended family members, his best friends and members of our "community" and mounted each on a separate page in a scrapbook. It was fantastic and very moving.

My part as the dad was to create something that acknowledges his steps toward manhood. I wanted to share it here with you all (I left out some specific names, but it doesn't diminish the idea). Here is what I said:

"Now at 16 years of age, you stand on the threshold of being a man. Over the centuries, different cultures have performed various rite of passeage ceremonies on young men as they came of age.

I have drawn on my own heritage and past experiences to create a brief ritual to welcome you to early manhood on this significant day, your 16th birthday.

My maternal grandfather years ago researched the family name and symbols. One symbol that stood out was 4 crows on the family crest/coat of arms. When I was 18 years old and at Drake University, he brought together my generation's 4 crows for an Iowa State football weekend. Those 4 crows were myself, my brother and my only two male cousins. Now that I have 3 children, a new generation of the 4 crows has come into being: me, you and your brother and sister.

As you move forward into adulthood, I would tell you that life needs and requires men of different temperaments, talents and convictions. One of the principle foundations of the fraternity which I joined in college and that I have embraced and carried with me my entire life as an adult I now share with you. One should always strive to be:

A man of good character
    A student of fair ability
    With ambitious purposes
    A congenial disposition
    Possessed of good morals
    Having a high sense of honor, and
    A deep sense of personal responsibility

As a man, you can maintain your own beliefs and still fit into this world without surrendering the principle of individuality or sacrificing one's personal judgement. With that, I want to share a poem with you that has had a significant impact in my life: <At this point I have him pick up a mirror and look at himself>

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want, in your struggle for self,
    and the world makes you king for a day,
    just go to a mirror and look at yourself
    and see what that man has to say.

Although there are others in life's pathway
    upon whose judgement you must pass,
    the fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    is the man staring back from the glass.

You may win all the medals and snow all the rest
    and think you're a wonderful guy,
    but the man in the glass says you're only a fraud
    if you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the one to please, after all's said and done,
    for he's with you clear up to the end.
    And you've passed a most dangerous, difficult test
    if the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
    and get pats on the back as you pass,
    but your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    if you've cheated the man in the glass.

So, congratulations on turning 16 and as you move foward into life, move with Purpose, Strength and Character.

I love you always,

Dad

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very touching David. Your son is fortunate to have such wonderful parents and family.

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice David. More sons and daughters should be so lucky as to have the words of their father's Father's impressed upon them.

I say Thankee sai David on those words to the future man
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just thought I would name a guy in the UK that if anyone buys from who has done a great job for me.
    His name is Steve Sargent. I bought some Colorado Kid items from him and he is TOTALLY to be trusted.
    Just an fyi in case anyone deals with him.
    One of the good guys!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    Just thought I would name a guy in the UK that if anyone buys from who has done a great job for me.
    His name is Steve Sargent. I bought some Colorado Kid items from him and he is TOTALLY to be trusted.
    Just an fyi in case anyone deals with him.
    One of the good guys!
    I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Well, my oldest boy turned 16 yesterday! In addition to the regular birthday stuff we do (each family member writes a letter to the bithday person), my wife and I wanted to honor him in a special way, as 16 is a pivotal year. Without his knowledge she solicited written birthday letters/wishes/observations from all of our extended family members, his best friends and members of our "community" and mounted each on a separate page in a scrapbook. It was fantastic and very moving.

My part as the dad was to create something that acknowledges his steps toward manhood. I wanted to share it here with you all (I left out some specific names, but it doesn't diminish the idea). Here is what I said:

"Now at 16 years of age, you stand on the threshold of being a man. Over the centuries, different cultures have performed various rite of passeage ceremonies on young men as they came of age.

I have drawn on my own heritage and past experiences to create a brief ritual to welcome you to early manhood on this significant day, your 16th birthday.

My maternal grandfather years ago researched the family name and symbols. One symbol that stood out was 4 crows on the family crest/coat of arms. When I was 18 years old and at Drake University, he brought together my generation's 4 crows for an Iowa State football weekend. Those 4 crows were myself, my brother and my only two male cousins. Now that I have 3 children, a new generation of the 4 crows has come into being: me, you and your brother and sister.

As you move forward into adulthood, I would tell you that life needs and requires men of different temperaments, talents and convictions. One of the principle foundations of the fraternity which I joined in college and that I have embraced and carried with me my entire life as an adult I now share with you. One should always strive to be:

A man of good character
    A student of fair ability
    With ambitious purposes
    A congenial disposition
    Possessed of good morals
    Having a high sense of honor, and
    A deep sense of personal responsibility

As a man, you can maintain your own beliefs and still fit into this world without surrendering the principle of individuality or sacrificing one's personal judgement. With that, I want to share a poem with you that has had a significant impact in my life: <At this point I have him pick up a mirror and look at himself>

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want, in your struggle for self,
    and the world makes you king for a day,
    just go to a mirror and look at yourself
    and see what that man has to say.

Although there are others in life's pathway
    upon whose judgement you must pass,
    the fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    is the man staring back from the glass.

You may win all the medals and snow all the rest
    and think you're a wonderful guy,
    but the man in the glass says you're only a fraud
    if you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the one to please, after all's said and done,
    for he's with you clear up to the end.
    And you've passed a most dangerous, difficult test
    if the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
    and get pats on the back as you pass,
    but your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    if you've cheated the man in the glass.

So, congratulations on turning 16 and as you move foward into life, move with Purpose, Strength and Character.

I love you always,

Dad
    That was so touching and beautiful David. I have a son turning 16 this year, I think your families tradition is wonderful.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

That is a very touching and well said, David. Your son is a very lucky boy.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very touchy and nice written. Say happy birthday to him.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Spring has come to New England, at least in my view. My son who is 11 helped me tap the Sugar Maples in the front yard.

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

I wish I had your 'view' Gunskslinger. Until I see green grass and green trees here in CT there is no Spring. The weather is 'nice' today though. I do use that word loosely.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Our Spring lambs have been born over the last week.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

David, excellent letter to your son!

In Hoc Signo Vinces!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's not the badge that David was wearing back in college, but I understand your point.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPhish View Post
    I wish I had your 'view' Gunskslinger. Until I see green grass and green trees here in CT there is no Spring. The weather is 'nice' today though. I do use that word loosely.
    It was nice in CT on Sunday, although a bit breezy, but when the sap is flowing I know that winter's back is broken.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPhish View Post
    It was nice in CT on Sunday, although a bit breezy, but when the sap is flowing I know that winter's back is broken.
    You guys count yourselves lucky,
    it's been nothing but snow for the past week for us!
    It's pretty much cleared up now, though, and the sunshine's forcing it's way through a little.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

In Hoc Signo Vinces!
    Patrick, are you a Sigma Chi?

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's not the badge that David was wearing back in college, but I understand your point.
    This is the one:

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got this from Rocky Wood:

Friends
    My state, places I have visited only an hour from home, burnt on Saturday. I suppose you have seen it on your TV news but, if you've never seen the ferocity of an Australian bushfire, it probably seems like a movie.
    Some 140 odd of my fellow citizens died, most of them trying to escape a sudden, ferocious attack by Mother Nature.
    Please take some time to contemplate this horror - my friends and I in the horror community create fantasies that can never match this reality - we would never want them to.
    Join me in supporting those who have lost family, friends, colleagues, pets and in many cases everything they own and hold precious. And remember those you do love and those who love you - we can lose them all too easily.
    Rocky
    Donate at http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/servi...ppeal-2009.htm
    Mods, if you want to move this elsewhere, feel free to do so. I didn't know where else to put it.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing that, John. I think it's fine right where you posted, but we'll let Matt decide if it should be moved elsewhere.

Alisha: Welcome to the Corner!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In Hoc Signo Vinces!
    I am.

Apparently we roomed together for a sordid weekend of debauchery never discovering that we are brothers.

This is the one:

I have that same badge at home.

Where did you go to college, David?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

In Hoc Signo Vinces!
    I am.

Apparently we roomed together for a sordid weekend of debauchery never discovering that we are brothers.

There are so many things I want to say about this I don't know where to start.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 972 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 506 ... LastLast