Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quote request.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Quote request.

During The Drawing of the Three, there is a moment when Roland is internally musing about how he once thought that (and I am heavily paraphrasing here) "the light of civilization seemed like it could not be extinguished". If not that, it was a VERY similar belief.

I would love to be able to faithfully reproduce the specific lines he mentions. So, if any of you folks could post the relevant passage I am thinking of, I would appreciate the effort.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    During The Drawing of the Three, there is a moment when Roland is internally musing about how he once thought that (and I am heavily paraphrasing here) "the light of civilization seemed like it could not be extinguished". If not that, it was a VERY similar belief.

I would love to be able to faithfully reproduce the specific lines he mentions. So, if any of you folks could post the relevant passage I am thinking of, I would appreciate the effort.
    Chapter 3, Section 8: They are as they are because they live in the light, the gunslinger thought suddenly. That light of civilization you were taught to adore above all other things. They live in a world which has not moved on.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

Chapter 3, Section 8: They are as they are because they live in the light, the gunslinger thought suddenly. That light of civilization you were taught to adore above all other things. They live in a world which has not moved on.
    Because you are like the DT Terminator

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post

Because you are like the DT Terminator
    100%
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Bev Vincent. What you posted does jog the memory quite a bit. However, I could have sworn he stated more...something about how civilization - particularly in regards to Gilead itself - seemed indomitable.

Edit: I just remembered that there was mention of John Farson playing his part in the downfall as well. "Symptom", I think?

--- ---

Like a stubborn pebble deep in a pair of boots, a thought one cannot fully place will eventually be quite irritating .

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Thank you, Bev Vincent. What you posted does jog the memory quite a bit. However, I could have sworn he stated more...something about how civilization - particularly in regards to Gilead itself - seemed indomitable.

Edit: I just remembered that there was mention of John Farson playing his part in the downfall as well. "Symptom", I think?

--- ---

Like a stubborn pebble deep in a pair of boots, a thought one cannot fully place will eventually be quite irritating .
    Gilead isn't mentioned by name at all in The Drawing of the Three and Farson only in one passage:

Chapter 5/Section 3: Glass gleamed mellowly everywhere, more glass in this one room than he had seen in all the years since his childhood, when supply-lines had begun to break down, partially because of interdicting raids carried out by the rebel forces of Farson, the Good Man, but mostly, he thought, simply because the world was moving on. Farson had been a symptom of that great movement, not the cause.

Country
    Country Flag

--- ---

Gilead isn't mentioned by name at all in The Drawing of the Three and Farson only in one passage:

Chapter 5/Section 3: Glass gleamed mellowly everywhere, more glass in this one room than he had seen in all the years since his childhood, when supply-lines had begun to break down, partially because of interdicting raids carried out by the rebel forces of Farson, the Good Man, but mostly, he thought, simply because the world was moving on. Farson had been a symptom of that great movement, not the cause.
    Ah ha. That quote too struck a chord within the dusty halls of my mind. Still, the location of the memory bugged me so badly I tried speed scanning The Drawing of the Three and came across this line by blind luck. You can find it in the section of "Shuffle".

Two years after his death, the final bloody civil war had begun. The red slaughter had reached the last bastion of civilization, light, and sanity, and had taken away what all of them had assumed was so strong with the casual ease of a wave taking a child's castle of sand.
    I was apparently subconsciously mixing all three passages into one: "light", "Farson", and civilization being "so strong" (which I misremembered as some synonym of "invincible"). Given the synergistic themes between the trio, I hope I can be forgiven for this error.

Anyhow, thank you for both your lightning-quick responses and willingness to help me narrow down the search .

+ Reply to Thread