Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Vinyl Records

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Collecting Vinyl Records

I'm just wading into the world of Vinyl and was curious who else collects, what sort of set up they have (turntables, receivers, speakers etc). I've owned a Dual turntable for years and casually enjoyed my vinyl, but am only just not getting into it with real vigor.

Anyone else?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a reasonable collection of vinyl (mostly from the late 70's all the 80's and early 90's) including full discographies of bands such as Genesis, Blondie, Meatloaf, The Police, Queen, Ultravox, Simple Minds, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, etc. Lots of coloured vinyl and picture disks.

I switched to CD's during the 90's

It's all in my loft though - I don't have anything to play them on anymore!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that you moved on, sold the turntable but kept the vinyl. Are you hoping so sell one day, or did you intend to purchase a new turntable?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question. I think it was more about house moves. The last time we moved house (which is about 15 years ago now) we gave away the music centre that had a turntable and just replaced it with a new CD only unit. (now also relegated to the loft as all my music is in the cloud these days).

The vinyl went straight to the loft when we moved in as we had no space for it. I've often thought of getting a new deck, but the convenience of just streaming my music anywhere in the house outweighs the 'nostalgia' factor

EDIT: There is one album I would love to hear again as I have searched High and Low and cannot locate a digital version. It's called "The Bloodied Sword" and is a concept album by Midge Ure, Billy Currie and Maxwell Langdown. Think arty poetry meets electronica... very much an acquired taste, but I loved it.

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I did some digging for you Stroppy and found someone what seems to be the complete set of Mp3's from that obscure album. You can see the track listing's here:

http://4236.unknownsecret.info/mp3/T...loodied+Sword/

But you need to be a member to access them, and their main page is...well it's weird as shit. Not sure I would want to sign up, they admit you have to do some advertising related (read: Data mining) things to get access.

http://4236.unknownsecret.info/

I dunno, might be worth checking out?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes - Been there seen it, got the t-shirt. It's another scam site that just collects your info for marketing and spam purposes - you never get access.(Thanks for looking though!)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Country
    Country Flag

That looks as though it should come with a horn! It's interesting how minimal it's all become and how far away we've shifted away from furniture pieces.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux's Avatar

We've started collecting (again)--my daughter's both have simple systems and got us re-started--but haven't set up anything like what I had in the early '80s. My collection is older vinyl, but my wife was gifted Of Monsters and Men's "My Head is an Animal" for Christmas this year.

Now, we need to fix radio.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm using a Sony hp-480 with a Dual 1010 turntable (early 70's), into a Pioneer receiver and out to some vintage technic floor speakers. I have my parents collection of Vinyl, as well as 20/30 that I've purchased, half a dozen are brand new.

I think I'll try and step it up in the future, pick up a really nice turntable and a pre-amp. maybe jump from 2 speakers to a 5.1 but I haven't decided yet. I have a few records coming in the mail that I'm excited to spin.

MAINLY SOUNDTRACKS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Not a week goes by that I don't buy at least a few records. Matter of fact, I just ordered nearly 20 records from Ebullition Records not 10 minutes ago.

I'm not a diehard collector as I used to be. If a record was a re-issue, by default it was disqualified from ever reaching my shelves. I'm not so picky these days as I buy them for sound quality, not for the scarcity. My family always asks me to play records when they come over although I have CDs of the same albums. The sound is, simply put, fuller.

Anyone willing to spend a few hundred (true audiophiles spent crazy, excessive amounts on gear) on a decent set up will find it hard to go back to CDs.

Country
    Country Flag

Needfulthings, that is *quite* the collection. Why the fascination with film soundtracks as opposed to traditional albums?

WeDealInLead, Care to share? I'm all for turning this into a "new vinyl pride and joy"-esque thread if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Needfulthings, that is *quite* the collection. Why the fascination with film soundtracks as opposed to traditional albums?

WeDealInLead, Care to share? I'm all for turning this into a "new vinhttp://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/go-yankees-.gifyl pride and joy"-esque thread if you are.

YOU MUST BE NEW HERE?

YAMAHA -V3800 AV RECEIVER 7.2 with JAMO & BOSE speakers

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I had to look twice when I saw this picture as I have a collection of Victrolas. This looks like the Sonora style cabinet.
    I have a few different working models of Victrola's however I was about to mention one cabinet in particular.

I have one which I turned into a modern (at the time) stereo cabinet with my components inside (behind the doors) and a regular turntable to replace the old crank up one on top under the cover.
    It is still set up at the house I use for family, visitors and guests (as well as storage).
    I have quite a number of albums stored up there as well. They are not per-see a collection as much as they were ones I acquired and never got rid of.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    That looks as though it should come with a horn! It's interesting how minimal it's all become and how far away we've shifted away from furniture pieces.
    The horn on that model is built into the cabinet and behind that decorative grill-work.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Had lunch during the Holidays downtown with my sister and nephews. Afterwards we wandered into a Goodwill Boutique.
    I found it interesting that my teen-age nephew was browsing the vinyl and asked if he was into collecting albums.
    He said he is however has no way to play them. I told him I have to grab him one of the turntables I have stored on shelf in my garage.
    I find his direction in music (vinyl and other), who he considers interesting quite eclectic but very refreshing and want to encorage it.
    From the Beatles to Sinatra to David Bowie and various bands I am not familiar with, he does not seem to feel a need to gravitate towards what most his age consider popular these days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast