9 34.62%
  • Desperado

11 42.31%
  • Fire in the Sky

8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 26 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 26 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Bound (1996)
    Directed by The Wachowskis

Watch Trailer

Backdraft (1991)
    Directed by Ron Howard

Watch Trailer

From Dusk till Dawn (1996)
    Directed by Robert Rodriguez

Watch Trailer

Sling Blade (1996)
    Directed by Billy Bob Thornton

Watch Trailer

Toy Story (1995)
    Directed by John Lasseter

Watch Trailer

A Bronx Tale (1993)
    Directed by Robert De Niro

Watch Trailer

Desperado (1995)
    Directed by Robert Rodriguez

Watch Trailer

Fire in the Sky (1993)
    Directed by Robert Lieberman

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fire In The Sky is one I voted for here.

I've always been interested in aliens, which is a bit of a shame, because the thought of them terrifies me (anyone seen VHS 2? Fucking yikes.)

Although it came out in 1993, I didn't actually see it until maybe 2 years ago. But I do remember when it came out - I remember it well, as I do the nightmare I had about it.

As nightmares go, it wasn't particularly strong stuff, but - as nightmares tend to be - it was no fun at all while it was happening.

I'm in a dark room, lit only by the light of the TV, one of the old box ones, as this was long before the flat screen HD ones. The commercial for the new movie Fire In The Sky begins, and because I strictly avoid alien-related material late at night (which it is) and especially when I'm alone (which I am), I try to change the channel - but the remote won't work.

So I go to the TV and try to turn it off - but the power button won't work.

So I sit down and close my eyes - and I can still see the commercial through my eyelids.

And this is all I remember.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Fire In The Sky is one I voted for here.

I've always been interested in aliens, which is a bit of a shame, because the thought of them terrifies me (anyone seen VHS 2? Fucking yikes.)

Although it came out in 1993, I didn't actually see it until maybe 2 years ago. But I do remember when it came out - I remember it well, as I do the nightmare I had about it.

As nightmares go, it wasn't particularly strong stuff, but - as nightmares tend to be - it was no fun at all while it was happening.

I'm in a dark room, lit only by the light of the TV, one of the old box ones, as this was long before the flat screen HD ones. The commercial for the new movie Fire In The Sky begins, and because I strictly avoid alien-related material late at night (which it is) and especially when I'm alone (which I am), I try to change the channel - but the remote won't work.

So I go to the TV and try to turn it off - but the power button won't work.

So I sit down and close my eyes - and I can still see the commercial through my eyelids.

And this is all I remember.
    That's a great story! Isn't it awesome how powerful film can be? How we can watch a film as a kid or even see a scene ever so briefly and it can stick with us for the rest of our lives.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at a drive-in theater when I was ~15 years old. It stuck to me.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bound with just two votes? What happened?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Bound with just two votes? What happened?
    Not enough people have seen it. I just found the DVD yesterday for a buck, so I hope to fix that.

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I always thought it was a well-known film since it was The Wachowskis before The Matrix.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? I always thought it was a well-known film since it was The Wachowskis before The Matrix.
    I might be off, but in 1999 when The Matrix came out, nobody had ever heard of the Wachowskis. At least I hadn't.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'm with Mike on this one. Never heard of em. Was common with indie filmmakers in the 90's...the didn't get the coverage they do now.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe not before but certainly after The Matrix came out? Personally I saw Bound before The Matrix, but I always thought The Matrix shined a big light on Bound.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope. It's only got 49k ratings on IMDB. It's in the same position as other first movies of people that hit it big with their second film, with Bottle Rocket and Hard Eight in similar spots. I'd imagine like other small films from the 90's, it was just difficult to access.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe not before but certainly after The Matrix came out? Personally I saw Bound before The Matrix, but I always thought The Matrix shined a big light on Bound.
    I've heard of Bound in the years since The Matrix was released, but just haven't had a chance to see it and never came across it in the wild until yesterday.

Indie filmmakers certainly get more attention today. The other good thing is that with streaming platforms, their films are easier to find now.

Country
    Country Flag

Fire in the Sky is on the brink of elimination Need more votes!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fire in the Sky is on the brink of elimination Need more votes!
    Over A Bronx Tale? I can't buy that.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Toy Story (80.77%)
    2. From Dusk till Dawn (65.38%)
    3. Sling Blade (46.15%)
    4. Desperado (42.31%)
    5. Backdraft (38.46%)
    6. A Bronx Tale (34.62%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Fire in the Sky (30.77%)
    2. Bound (11.54%)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Fire in the Sky (30.77%)...
    ...good thing I whipped out my Fire in the Sky tale in this round.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Country
    Country Flag

Still wasn't enough...

+ Reply to Thread