Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 306 of 441 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296 304 305 306 307 308 316 356 406 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Damn, I just realized how long it's been since I've written a movie review. Wonder which film it'll be to break the deadlock.
    Me too. Over a year since I've done a full review. I wanted to do one for Blade Runner 2049 really bad, but it didn't happen.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the first one a lot, but the second wasn't nearly as good. They're great popcorn movies, though. I'll probably need to re-watch the others before seeing Death Cure.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Damn, I just realized how long it's been since I've written a movie review. Wonder which film it'll be to break the deadlock.
    Me too. Over a year since I've done a full review. I wanted to do one for Blade Runner 2049 really bad, but it didn't happen.
    What were your thoughts on Blade Runner 2049. It was long, but I loved it. I loved the original director's cut, and truly enjoyed the new one too. I'd really enjoy a third if possible.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    What were your thoughts on Blade Runner 2049. It was long, but I loved it. I loved the original director's cut, and truly enjoyed the new one too. I'd really enjoy a third if possible.
    Cells interlinked.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Blade Runner 2049 is so damn good. I saw it twice in the theaters and would go see it again if it were still playing. Total blasphemy to say but I like it better than the first Blade Runner.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Shape of Water (4/4)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night. It wasn't absolutely abysmal, but it was pretty bad. Terrible script, jarring editing, tonally erratic. Not to mention paper-thin characters. There were a good handful of times where I could see the obvious "lifting" of certain scenes from other space movies. Take away the few, paltry scenes on Earth and you'd never know it was a Cloverfield movie. A prime case of a pre-existing script being poorly retrofitted to fit in the Cloverfield universe (which I guess it now becoming a thing).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I put it on my SAVE list on Netflix, if it ever comes out on DVD.

Since I have to drive over 15 miles one way to see a movie and it keeps snowing every time I want to go, I'm getting behind! Frustrating!
    It's streaming on Netflix.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night. It wasn't absolutely abysmal, but it was pretty bad. Terrible script, jarring editing, tonally erratic. Not to mention paper-thin characters. There were a good handful of times where I could see the obvious "lifting" of certain scenes from other space movies. Take away the few, paltry scenes on Earth and you'd never know it was a Cloverfield movie. A prime case of a pre-existing script being poorly retrofitted to fit in the Cloverfield universe (which I guess it now becoming a thing).
    I'm with you, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I like the term retrofitted that you used. I'm not sure if it's something you came up with or if it's what Hollywood is using for this method of filmmaking, but it's perfect.

The retrofitting of the screenplay wasn't my biggest issue. In fact, I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane and that film did the same thing. The screenplay was originally meant for a stand-alone film called The Shelter. They sprinkled in some Cloverfield stuff and BAM! We have a sequel (prequel whatever). My issue with Paradox is it only exists to give the filmmakers carte blanche to make as many Cloverfield films without ever having to worry about continuity from here on out. The single line of heavy-handed exposition with the guy talking on the news explains it all when he says it could change the past and the future in multiple dimensions.

Now they can take any dusty screenplay off of the shelf and slap the Cloverfield name on it and anything that doesn't seem to fit the filmmakers can say,"Different dimensions, bro."

A perfect example of this is the other Cloverfield film that is set to come out later this year. The setting - World War II. The Defense rests.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 is so damn good. I saw it twice in the theaters and would go see it again if it were still playing. Total blasphemy to say but I like it better than the first Blade Runner.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I like the term retrofitted that you used. I'm not sure if it's something you came up with or if it's what Hollywood is using for this method of filmmaking, but it's perfect.

The retrofitting of the screenplay wasn't my biggest issue. In fact, I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane and that film did the same thing. The screenplay was originally meant for a stand-alone film called The Shelter. They sprinkled in some Cloverfield stuff and BAM! We have a sequel (prequel whatever). My issue with Paradox is it only exists to give the filmmakers carte blanche to make as many Cloverfield films without ever having to worry about continuity from here on out. The single line of heavy-handed exposition with the guy talking on the news explains it all when he says it could change the past and the future in multiple dimensions.

Now they can take any dusty screenplay off of the shelf and slap the Cloverfield name on it and anything that doesn't seem to fit the filmmakers can say,"Different dimensions, bro."

A perfect example of this is the other Cloverfield film that is set to come out later this year. The setting - World War II. The Defense rests.
    I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. It was a great movie (characters, pacing, suspense, all around) in its own right. Paradox just about failed on all those points.

And speaking of the new film coming out int the Cloverfield "universe," I find it interesting that Paramount will be releasing that one in theaters. I know they dumped Paradox to make it instantly profitable, but it kind of smells of them not having much faith in it to release it in theaters.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh, that's good to hear. I want to see it but saw it was getting some bad reviews.

Country
    Country Flag

It definitely wasn't as good as I was hoping. There was so much they could've done with Sarah and the house but the finished product was more of the generic ghost/haunting stories we've seen before. It was entertaining overall, but I was a little disappointed in the wasted potential.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

BLACK PANTHER E-MAX - 5 out of 10. Dull and predictable.
    It's 3 points better than Samson? No way. Black Panther was such a well-made film. You're in the minority on this one.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Female Brain: Several laugh out loud moments, but too predictable and sappy. 3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

ANNIHILATION - 8.5 out of 10, and I'll probably buy the soundtrack.
    Have you read the book? How does it compare?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's most likely true, and it's why I prefer seeing movies in the dark (no pun intended) knowing the least amount of information about them as possible, so I don't find myself prejudging them. Of course, being the hypocrite that I am, I refuse to see two of the movies on the nominated BEST PICTURE list, but I'll probably not watch the Oscars this year anyway, for the first time in many years, because I want to be entertained, not preached to.
    That doesn't mean you can't still enter our 2018 Oscar Contest! Visit the thread in this very forum!

As far as BLACK PANTHER - and for the previous X-MEN APOCALYPSE, I found them to be my least favorite of the Marvel franchise movies, and I am a big fan of them! They were one cliche after another that I've seen time and time again. Hero is almost defeated, hero comes back, big fight with bad guy at the end, "No Way" will I or we help you, "We're staying out of THIS fight" until they pop up at the last moment to save the day. Think of something different you guys!
    You're not wrong, but all films have that. Also, it's not like anyone thought he was dead anyways considering he shows up in the trailer for Infinity War, the trailer of which should have played before Black Panther.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Game Night. 5/6 beers on the RFSRS. Damn near perfect. The concept has been done before but they pulled no punches on this one (No crappy PG-13 editing).
    Very dark, but laughs galore. Loved it!

Country
    Country Flag

Was it raunchy? I haven't seen a good comedy in a long time that doesn't rely on raunchy, gross-out humor and language for its laughs.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Was it raunchy? I haven't seen a good comedy in a long time that doesn't rely on raunchy, gross-out humor and language for its laughs.
    It wasn't raunchy, but it was very graphic in other ways.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got back from Annihilation and I loved it.

It's another one of those films that is certainly going to divide people. It's not meant for mainstream audiences and I could hear a lot of murmuring as the credits rolled. I don't blame people. Many of them forked over their hard earned cash thinking they were getting an action film in the vein of Aliens. Annihilation is not that.

I was very good about staying away from everything with this film. I barely saw a trailer and I read almost nothing. I just got back from the theater, but I'm going to take a stab at a theory I have, much like I did with Mother. I haven't read any theories or anything like that, so I could be way off.

Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

Adam and Eve.

Country
    Country Flag

Just got back from the AMC Best Picture Showcase. 10 hours later and I'm alive! Today was:

Phantom Thread: Liked it better than I thought, though way too long. Good performances and costume design in a twisted love story that definitely took a route I didn't see coming. And also made me really want mushrooms.

Lady Bird: Great performances from Metcalf and Ronan. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, especially if you went to Catholic school. Pacing was a little rushy which didn't really let you linger on any scene/emotional beat too long. A little disappointed this one wasn't better (not that it was bad) considering the hype, but the mother-daughter relationship portrayed is totally spot-on.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: Fantastic performances all around--Rockwell and McDormand have got to be locks for the acting categories. A great story with character-driven twists and turns. Great pacing and combination of plot and character, and completely engaging throughout. I think I could've watched for another hour and been okay with that.

The Shape of Water: Beautiful art design and effects (not sure if the Creature was practical or CGI, but it was fantastic either way). Loved the performances, especially from Hawkins and Shannon (and supporting roles from Spencer and Jenkins). Overall, not as emotionally affecting as I was hoping, but had me glued to the screen the entire time).

So far the only BP noms I haven't seen are Call Me By Your Name (not playing anywhere near me, and no DVD release any time soon) and Darkest Hour (DVD 2/27!). Right now my ranking is (best to least):

1. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. The Post
    4. Dunkirk (this is the one that I feel will move around for me. Great on the technical aspects, exciting, great practical effects, but characterization was a little on the hallow side)
    5. Lady Bird
    6. Get Out
    7. Phantom Thread

I haven't really hated any that I've seen, but all of them have me feeling a little frustrated. They ALL have the parts to be amazing, but each has something that keeps it from living up to its full potential, in my opinion. Someone on Twitter mentioned this year being a particularly hard crop of movies to connect to emotionally, which I feel as well. I still think Molly's Game, had it been nominated, would be my pick for BP. I enjoyed that one the most.

I think I only saw two of the BP noms last year so Oscar night wasn't as fun. I'm making up for lost time this year.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Heather, and anyone else who has read the books, I haven't read them, but I've read that a lot of people are saying the film is very different than the books.

It sounds like they left a lot out, but the spirit of the source material is still there. Hopefully that doesn't keep you from enjoying the film.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 306 of 441 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296 304 305 306 307 308 316 356 406 ... LastLast