Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was Mordred born evil?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he was born totally evil.

30 45.45%
  • No, he wasn't. He was evil but there was good in him, too.

31 46.97%
  • No, he wasn't. He was born good.

2 3.03%
  • I can't vote because...

3 4.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mordred - and his complex personality

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    yes i do, mordred may have appeared in the last book but his creation went through books 1,3,5 and 6 before he was born
    His character ONLY takes place in the last book.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland and Mordred's palaver would have been absolutely cold, damn short and painful. It's better it never happened.

Roland would have understood.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I personally thought that Mordred was beyond palaver. His spider instincts were so strong that his mind was completely alien to Roland's and he only desired food. For one thing, he was too young.
    Mordred was able to talk with anyone, so he could palaver with Roland.
    you say true, except it doesn't matter if he could talk or not, he palavered with Flagg. And he may have eaten him, and he may have had hunger on his mind, but he saw in Walter/Flagg's mind that Flagg was going to kill him and cut off the foot with the mark so he could enter the tower.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    you say true, except it doesn't matter if he could talk or not, he palavered with Flagg. And he may have eaten him, and he may have had hunger on his mind, but he saw in Walter/Flagg's mind that Flagg was going to kill him and cut off the foot with the mark so he could enter the tower.
    Yeah, I was just replying to Liz's post about Mordred being "beyond palaver". If he wanted he could do almost anything he'd like. He palavered with Rando Thoughtful a bit before making him his brunch.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Perhjaps I missed the whole intelligent conversation thing from Mordered.... But I am rereading the whole series again so I shall reserve my complete irrevocable judgement

Palaver doesn't necessarily mean "intelligent" conversation. It just means "chat" or "conversation" or "talk".

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

So can Oy palaver then by that definition?

In a very limited way with probably just Jake, yeah. I'd say so. But it just means chatting or having a talk.

My Mood
    Worried

Well for some reason I got the impression that Mordred - other than talking in others' heads - had less of a vocabulary than Oy.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

mordred may have been capable of intelligent conversion but i dont think he was capable of civil conversation and the distinction between the two is vast
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Worried

well that for certain we can agree on!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    In a very limited way with probably just Jake, yeah. I'd say so. But it just means chatting or having a talk.
    I absolutely agree. And I think he could talk with Roland as well. They could work together amazingly when they went to save Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Well for some reason I got the impression that Mordred - other than talking in others' heads - had less of a vocabulary than Oy.
    We mustn't forget that when Mordred ate something he got their feelings and knowledge as well. (I hope I remember well.) So after eating Flagg he was absolutely capable of speaking as much as he wanted.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Palaver doesn't necessarily mean "intelligent" conversation. It just means "chat" or "conversation" or "talk".
    I think, however, that it involves all parts concerned listening to what other parts have say; not just watching for them to get distracted so they could be stung, paralyzed, and eaten.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Roland and Mordred's palaver would have been absolutely cold, damn short and painful. It's better it never happened.
    ...and do you think there'd have been much hugging involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think, however, that it involves all parts concerned listening to what other parts have say; not just watching for them to get distracted so they could be stung, paralyzed, and eaten.
    This has always been my manner of conversation.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

palaver is (to my knowledge) a civil discourse between anyone friends or enemies, since mordred could not be civil, he could not palaver roland palavered with the man in black who said (one of my favorite quotes) "friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty, only enemies speak the truth"
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

As my nick and sig might suggest, I'm a fan of Mordred
    I can see some of myself in him (not the whole eating your mother part or transforming into a spider of course), and I believe there was some "good" in him, but his instincts and the lack of guidance became his undoing.
    I don't like how he ate my favourite DT villain though
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    (not the whole eating your mother part or transforming into a spider of course)
    Awwwwwwwwwww. He couldn't help how delicious she was.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    (not the whole eating your mother part or transforming into a spider of course)
    Awwwwwwwwwww. He couldn't help how delicious she was.
    I wouldn't mind eating Mia myself

and by eating I don't mean chewing and swallowing.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

I wouldn't mind eating Mia myself

and by eating I don't mean chewing and swallowing.
    I am with you all the way!

Traveler melliferal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    To me Mordred reeked of soap opera drama. You know, two characters do something they're not supposed to, a PREGNANCY occurs and all kinds of drama revolves around the PREGNANCY. Then the writers are stuck with a baby, an unfortunate side effect of pregnancy, and having to deal with a new character is now where near as fun or exciting.
    You know, that's a good point. And what do babies in soap operas usually do once they're born? They hang around for a week, then disappear completely for a few months, at which point they return as 18-year-olds.

...which is what happened to Mordred, really. He was born, and there was a big scene at that moment; but afterward he served no real purpose except to follow the tet and grow into an adult really really quickly so that when the time came, he could launch a pathetic attack and die like a punk. You see Roland getting closer to the Tower, where the Crimson King is waiting for him, and Mordred is hot on his heels, and you expect some awesome showdown to take place there....but no. It was a whole lot of buildup and no follow-through. Like Jonas in some ways - a whole book is spent exposing and developing his character as some total physical and intellectual hardass; and then when the time comes he's just simply shot dead, disposed of as quickly and curtly as any minor throwaway character.

Gunslinger Apprentice The King of Kings is on a distinguished road

Isn't Mordred a creature of the Prim? Not directly obviously, but via his relation with Crimson King and with the Crimson Queen being his "grand-mother". They only want chaos, and are totally disgusted at the idea of peace.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Why do you keep talking about me as if I'm not in the room?

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Kings View Post
    Isn't Mordred a creature of the Prim? Not directly obviously, but via his relation with Crimson King and with the Crimson Queen being his "grand-mother". They only want chaos, and are totally disgusted at the idea of peace.
    Yep. Also, one of the finer members of this message board community.

My Mood
    Amused

LOL thanks...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Kings View Post
    He is. He is also part human. I think that's the question at hand. Is Mordred's nature wholly evil, or does his fractional humanity mean that he is capable of some form of redemption?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast