Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to the 2009-2010 Oscars!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The road to the 2009-2010 Oscars!!

We have a few more months left to go in the year, but I'm sure most of you already have your picks as to which actor/movie should win which award. If the year ended right now, which movie would you nominate for best picture ? Best actor? Best actress? Best director?

Discuss!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Feev -

Okay, without a doubt Meryl Streep is going to get nominated for Julie and Julia.

Also, a big buzz is building for Hilary Swank in Amelia.

Unless something big happens, those seem to be the big two for Best Actress. In general, the Academy tends to lean towards drama rather than comedy... which might give the odds to Swank. Though, a win would be her third for Best Actress... and that's approaching Katharine Hepburn. ( Streep has one Best - Sophie's Choice and one Best Supporting - Kramer Vs Kramer ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin Hosting Oscars
    The two comedic actors will team for the next Academy Awards.
    by Eric Goldman

November 3, 2009 - Recent reports said that Hugh Jackman had declined an offer to host the Oscars again, after his well received stint this year. However, a new host has been found – or hosts, actually, as it turns out Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will serve as co-hosts of the 82nd Academy Awards.

"I am happy to co-host the Oscars with my enemy Alec Baldwin," said Martin.

"I don't play the banjo but I'm thrilled to be hosting the Oscars – it's the opportunity of a lifetime," said Baldwin.

For Martin, this is familiar territory – he hosted the 73rd and 75th Academy Awards. Martin and Baldwin -- besides both having hosted Saturday Night Live a huge amount of time -- will be seen together soon in the comedy It's Complicated.

The 82nd Annual Academy Awards will be seen Sunday, March 7, 2010 on ABC.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The Hurt Lockers seems kinda buzzing.

I really hope Hilary Swank isn't nominated for Amelia, just because of my complete lack of interest in the film and in her as an actress.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So far this year, I haven't seen anything that was great besides Julie & Julia. That film was really good and genuinely surprised me too. Generally I hate Meryl Streep, but I really enjoyed her performance in this film.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I thought Niel Patrick Harris was going to host? Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin will do a great job though, they seem like much more classic hosts than say Jon Stewart or Jackman.

There were a lot of movies that excited me personally this year, but not many that would realistically receive Oscars. More 'genre' stuff like District 9, Watchmen, Harry Potter, and Moon. (Moon might win some Baftas though, since it's already won a few other awards in the UK)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Ok, out of the 103 movies I've seen at the theater so far this year, here are my favorites:
    X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, TERMINATOR SALVATION, MY SISTER'S KEEPER, THE HURT LOCKER, DISTRICT 9, JULIE AND JULIA, THE TIME TRAVELLER'S WIFE, 9, THE INVENTION OF LYING, LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.
    I was bored by AMELIA, although I wanted to like it.
    There were other movies I loved, but they will in no way be Oscar nominees (I don't think!), such as FAST AND FURIOUS, THE COLLECTOR, STAR TREK, OBSERVE AND REPORT, etc.
    Meryl Streep deserves a best actress nomination.
    The guy from District 9 deserves a best actor nomination (sorry I don't know his name)
    Eric Bana for The Time Traveller's Wife for best actor nomination
    9 for best animated movie (AND best movie, I really liked this one!)
    The Invention of Lying should be nominated for best picture.
    The big guns will probably be released around Christmas time so the list is subject to change without notice!
    Anyway, that's my two cents worth (which is probably one cent more then it IS worth!)
    And, there were a LOT of stinkers this year. It would be interesting to start a thread on the worst pieces of, uhm, junk released this year (so far!)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had forgotten about District 9. It was by far the best Science Fiction film that I saw this year, but still not Oscar worthy in my opinion. Then again, many of the films that ARE nominated aren't Oscar worthy to me so maybe the critics don't know what they're talking about. They should just ask me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The big guns will probably be released around Christmas time so the list is subject to change without notice!
    Yeah. The Road will have a big Oscar chance, for one.

The last movie I really liked that won major Oscars was No Country for Old Men...another Cormac McCarthy adaptation. That one was a magical combination of perfect director/author/casting. Viggo can obviously pull off an intense acting performance, and John Hillcoat seems pretty cool, although I haven't seen anything by him yet! I've got my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Then again, many of the films that ARE nominated aren't Oscar worthy to me so maybe the critics don't know what they're talking about. They should just ask me.
    They probably should. I don't think I'm the only one that can't relate to most Oscar choices!

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep.... Forrest fuckin' Gump..... In the year of Shawshank and Pulp FIction. Fuck those guys.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Gay

Okay. I have to say this, someone mentioned it above but - if Fast and Furious gets nominated for an Oscar... I'm sending Brice to Hollywood with a large weapon.

Martin and Baldwin hosting should be fun to watch. I'm not sure three hours of one of them would be ... but making it both of them, that should mix it up and be fun. They'll be hard pressed to beat out Jackman though - who was outstanding this past Feb.

Hurt Locker could get a nom, especially with fourteen thousand Best Picture Nominees now ... but I haven't read much recent press on it, and frankly - that's what it takes usually. It's still early days, but it very much could happen. I'd love to see a nom for Bigelow.

Sam, buddy, you're on the money with Julie and Julia. Without a doubt Meryl will get a nod... and will likely be the odds on favorite to win. I have some favorite Meryl movies, but frankly she's never impressed me as much as the Academy loves her.

I'd be surprised to see Eric Bana's name for Time Traveller's Wife in the noms list, but you never know. That film got some awful reviews and he did as well.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Okay. I have to say this, someone mentioned it above but - if Fast and Furious gets nominated for an Oscar... I'm sending Brice to Hollywood with a large weapon.

Martin and Baldwin hosting should be fun to watch. I'm not sure three hours of one of them would be ... but making it both of them, that should mix it up and be fun. They'll be hard pressed to beat out Jackman though - who was outstanding this past Feb.

Hurt Locker could get a nom, especially with fourteen thousand Best Picture Nominees now ... but I haven't read much recent press on it, and frankly - that's what it takes usually. It's still early days, but it very much could happen. I'd love to see a nom for Bigelow.

Sam, buddy, you're on the money with Julie and Julia. Without a doubt Meryl will get a nod... and will likely be the odds on favorite to win. I have some favorite Meryl movies, but frankly she's never impressed me as much as the Academy loves her.

I'd be surprised to see Eric Bana's name for Time Traveller's Wife in the noms list, but you never know. That film got some awful reviews and he did as well.

I've opened this page to write some of my opinions about the thread. Now I don't remember what I wanted to write.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What about Inglourious Basterds? Do you guys think this one has a shot at best picture nominee? It's definitely at the top of my list for new films that I've seen so far this year. And Christoph Waltz surely deserves a nomination as well.

My problem with the Oscars, is that the Academy definitely has their favorites. And regardless of what film those actors are in they'll get nominated.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that district nine should win all sorts of shiny things
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, Heather, without a doubt Inglourious Basterds will have a Best Picture nomination. I think probably best director and screenplay as well. This might actually be the year that the Academy says "hello" to Tarantino.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Just a minor technical point, but shouldn't it be "THE ROAD TO THE 2009 OSCARS"?
    As for Inglourious Basterds (did I misspell that correctly?) it was one of only three Tarantino films I did not like, the others being the second half of DEATH PROOF and JACKIE BROWN. I do not want to see IB nominated for anything except maybe cinematography as it was very nice to look at.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

brad pitt for best actor...i dont care what anyone says, his character in inglorious bastards what fucking perfect

best picture - avatar looks good, and has a good chance. i havent seen it but i'm sure it will be good. so will daybreakers. but for movies i've seen, i nominate inglorious bastards, watchmen, and x-men. the first will probably be the only one considered, but still
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure whether or not IB will receive a Best Picture nod, but I'm %110 convinced that Christoph Waltz needs to win the trophy for Best Supporting Actor !

My Mood
    Gay

Feev - There are like 10 best pic nominees now. How could IG not get nominated?!? I'd be surprised if it's not.

I wouldn't be surprised with a Pitt best actor nod, nor with Waltz getting a nom. I've read nothing but great things. Waltz, I think, is a safe bet. Pitt likely, but not for sure.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, that's right! We have like a bazillion (slight exaggeration) nominees now! In that case, yes, IB will be nominated

Anybody think that Wikus (sp?) from District 9 might get a Leading Actor nod?

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

waltz's performance was out of this world. i'd vote for him in just about any category (even best actress) if i could.
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah, I'm kinda worried Inglourious Basterds won't get a best picture nomination for some reason. There's still a lot of movies to be released. Let's keep our fingers crossed though because I surely hope it does.

And I'd really like to see Tarantino get a best directing nomination as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

I think Bradd Pitt is one of the best actors around, and I thought Benjamin Button was the best picture last year, not Slumdog Millionaire, but I thought his acting in IB was over the top and too hammed up. I liked him much better in TROY and especially 12 MONKEYS. I forgot about Waltz though (I've seen too many movies). I'm sure he'll get a nod from the Academy members after they watch the movie on DVD since most of them don't seem to have the time to go to the theaters to see the movies. (That's supposed to be funny)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

if christoph waltz does not win the best supporting actor award, the oscars are a bigger joke than i already think they are. i have not seen a better performance in at least 20 years, probably more. that was quite simply, the most engaging and believable performance i have seen out of anyone, possibly ever.

as for whether or not basterds itself will win best picture, it won't. it may get a nomination because the academy does seem to like QT, but they won't let it win best picture. they may give him best original screenplay as a consolation prize like they did with pulp fiction when they gave the best pic to that piece of tripe forest gump. i am sure some schmaltzy piece of crap will win out over what was the best picture i have seen in a long time.

truth is, IB deserves a lot of awards. it may not win any of them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast