Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Happened? Justifying the Fates of Characters...*spoilers

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What Happened? Justifying the Fates of Characters...*spoilers

Riddle me this - (mind you, I'm only 200+ pages into the final book, but I've brought this topic up with my boyfriend who has read the whole thing and I don't believe I'll be opening up too many spoilers or jumping ahead of myself by posting this here)...

In this final book and mostly in the begginning of the story when Jake and the others of the ka-tet reunite at the Pigs Den, Jake stops for a minute to collect himself and is sad because he realizes that Father Callahan's Death is for real this time with the Vampires, and when he shot himself. He is is upset because he won't be coming back.

- But Why? Jake of all people knows that there "are other worlds than these" & has come back himself twice, to relive. So why does he believe this. My boyfriend says, indeed Callahan's story end's there, but it is weird that Jake of all people would think this way when he knows himself that death is not permanent.

My idea was that maybe it was because Callahan was killed in one of the Real Worlds (one of the mirror real worlds)... but wasn't Jake killed in one of the Real Worlds the first time when he was pushed in front of the car too? Or was that close to the real world, but a little off, because that was the same one Eddie Dean came from where his Brooklyn was different from the Real World? if my memory serves me correctly...

I understand that maybe it was Stephen Kings way to just let him fade out of the story but I just don't see why he'd have a character like Jake reflecting like this when Jake knows himself that life after death is extremely possible.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The world Callahan dies in is apparently the keystone world. If you die in the keystone world there is apparently no coming back...but who knows. There is only one keystaone world though. We really don't know that the worlds Jake, Eddie, or Susan came from are the same as each other either.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that was my initial thought too, my boyfriend thought that Jake came from the Keystone world to begin with but I think he is wrong... I think he forgot (he read it a little while ago) I think Jake came from a world that was close but not exact the the Keystone world, sort of like the world from The Stand with the Superflu.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I'm fairly sure none of them were drawn from the keystone world...perhaps close to it.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i furgured it was because he already died once. but then again, Jake died three times.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I always thought it was in either All-World or the Keystone World that death was permanent.

After all, Jake didn't appear to go anywhere after he fell into the mines in The Gunslinger.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I cry your pardon, theyspunaweb but I must change the title of the thread a little bit. It contains a big spoiler and all the threads can be visible from Palaver or when you check the new posts.
    Please forgive me.
    Thank you for the great thrad the question is good and I will answer soon.

Roland would have understood.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe Jake felt (he was strong with touch) that Callahan would find his belief again and he could stand and be true to beat his fears. Maybe you can find your real and infinite peace (no more worlds no more lives) if you can find your path as much as Callahan did...
    Just an idea, no more.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    I always thought it was in either All-World or the Keystone World that death was permanent.

After all, Jake didn't appear to go anywhere after he fell into the mines in The Gunslinger.

He went to the world Roland drew him in in TDoTT.

If you rescue me

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure about all that "keystone" thing (it has been too controversial all along), but I believe Callahan dies forever because his fate is complete. He died whole; he achieved his redemption and found his salvation. That's how Roland will die in the end, when he is at last allowed to enter the room at the top.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Well since I don't believe that anyone dies and never goes on to another life (my personal beliefs and my beliefs about the Dark Tower series) for Callahan he goes on to another life but just not one tied to Roland's ka-tet. Great topic Theyspunaweb.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

I recently just read in the road to the dark tower, and i can't find the passage now so i can't quote it, that the character must be of the keystone earth. It's not just the death in the keystone earth. So Jake, who is not of keystone earth, dieing doesn't mean that all jakes die. however, if callahan was of keystone earth, then maybe he could be lost and gone forever. i'll post a direct quote if i can find one.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Traveler darktowerseeker is on a distinguished road

I just thought that he was finally able to redeem himself for what happened in The Lot. Suicide goes against his beliefs as a priest, and what happened in The Lot made him "unclean". Because he would rather commit suicide than be taken by vampires again, he made a very clear choice; eternal damnation, but on his terms. Perhaps he was rewarded for the choice to try and save his soul this time, and finally was able to rest.

Just an idea.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am not sure about all that "keystone" thing (it has been too controversial all along), but I believe Callahan dies forever because his fate is complete. He died whole; he achieved his redemption and found his salvation. That's how Roland will die in the end, when he is at last allowed to enter the room at the top.
    I absolutely agree.
    Anyway Jake can be wrong, can't he?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I would think so, Letti...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But Callahan himself has an intuition that he'll go back to wandering the todash turnpikes. Maybe that is just a metaphor for heaven. Dunno, but I have always felt that he did go on to other worlds. Alternate worlds, not afterlife otherworlds... but maybe there is no difference. Anyway, I don't believe he's damned; becoming a vampire and feeding on the living... that is damnation.

In DT5, we see Jake revisit the bookstore and see himself, but this time the sign features "Stephen King" and a few other things are different So, apparently, our Jake is not from the "keystone" earth, but there is a Jake that is from there -- Which raises even more questions, if you think that over. The whole keystone thing is confusing and contradictory, always bothered me. SK seems to be saying "fantasy worlds are also real... but not really." Huh? Anyway, all that's maybe for other threads.

Country
    Country Flag

1st - Sorry Letti! I didn't realize, somehow, that I posted such a big spoiler right in the title. I thought I was being so safe, but that's what you guys are here for I guess, thanks!

2nd - I think you guys all really made good points, I like the idea that it may have been that Father Callahan had just come around and completed his part of the quest in the search for the tower, his redemption. Or, the idea that maybe he did go on but just not to meet up with the ka-tet again, and that's what Jake was feeling, that he would not come back, but maybe just not back to them. That could make sense, because Jake could definitely be strong in touch when knowing that.

I guess the idea of the Keystone world is what got me the most turned around, because this far into the story, I forget when we are in the Keystone world(s) and when we weren't & if that has anything to do with it. Alex - I might look into the Talisman and the Black House too, I'm guessing they're more stories by King? I'll check it out.

Thanks guys!

Country
    Country Flag

yeah I just got to the part in the Dark Tower VII where they mention Insomnia! So I think I will!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Black House and Insomnia are the two closest connected books to the Dark Tower Series. Definitely read them.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    Alex - I might look into the Talisman and the Black House too, I'm guessing they're more stories by King?
    ... and co-written with Peter Straub.

Black House has the main DT references, but definitely read Talisman first. It's set before... and more importantly, it's a great read.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    1st - Sorry Letti! I didn't realize, somehow, that I posted such a big spoiler right in the title. I thought I was being so safe, but that's what you guys are here for I guess, thanks!
    My pleasure, I am a big spoiler hunter. Sometimes I might be way too careful.

What does your boyfriend think about this question now?

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am pretty sure that it is all laid out in SoS. There is one Keystone Earth, and it is our world--the world of Stephen King. When someone dies there it is permanent, but it doesnt mean that all of their other selves in the multiple worlds die. It just means that that particular version is done, and will not be traveling to any other worlds, as both Jake and Pere Callahan did. I am almost positive there is a quote where King states this almost exactly, but I havent any idea where to find it. Another thing that I noticed is that, based on pure logic, Susannah would appear to be from Keystone Earth, because that is the world of the Ka-tet of the Rose, ie Moses Carver. Or maybe I'm wrong...

I need to read the books again.
    Heng Dai

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Susannah would appear to be from Keystone Earth, because that is the world of the Ka-tet of the Rose, ie Moses Carver. Or maybe I'm wrong...
    Do you remember the dream sequence where a man (or was it a radio) told her that the train doesn't go to that station (I.e. the one that cut off her legs.)? She's not from Keystone Earth. Or at least, she wasn't there when she had the accident.

I did wonder about Moses Carver too. It suggests another Susannah may taken the same route as ours, or possibly they became the same. Alternatively, maybe everyone on some level originate on the Keystone world, but become part of other worlds when they are written about (although they are unaware of the transition except possibly as a strange feeling of disconnectedness like Callahan had when he resided at the lad's funeral during his time at Salem's Lot. (Remember how Eddie speculates with Roland that he thinks everything isn't real, but that does not include the people?)

However, Susannah doesn't directly come from Keystone to Roland's world. If that makes sense.

Traveler lovemachine46147 is on a distinguished road

Default What happened to Oy? *spoilers

I'm new here, recently found this website, and so far I'm loving it already. I'm currently reading The Dark Tower VII again 'cause I felt like I missed some parts. I've searched the website, and I can't find the answer to this question.

What happened to Oy? I know Susannah found Eddie and Jake, but did Oy ever reunite with Jake? Or is he gone for good? I'm gonna be honest with you, I loved Oy! I'm really hoping he found Jake, but do any of you know?

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

In the bit where Stephen King talks a minute before you read the ending to the Tower he says something like "And I could tell you that they might of eventually found a dog named Oy" or something, basically says that they would of found a replacement Oy just like Eddie and Jake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast