Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F you and the horse you rode in on?

Along the Path of the Beam nordh is on a distinguished road

:?: F you and the horse you rode in on?

Coming from Sweden, perhaps I've missed this connection to the real world or perhaps an old movie or so, but I seem to find the quote "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" in several of Stephen Kings books. For example It and Lisey's story (smuck), and I'm pretty certain it was mentioned by Jake or Eddie somewhere in the DT series as well.

Is this just an old saying, or is it King that's just really fond of using it?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's an old and very popular saying. The first word can be tamed down (e.g. Screw you...) Citations have been found from the early 1970s, and the phrase was possibly current during the Korean War in the 1950s.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Too bad whoever made up the saying isn't making money off of it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My dad was in the habit of saying this to friends after a few drinks when I was a teenager.

I always thought it was cool as hell.

As far as why it works, I think that the idea of not just saying "fuck you" but also saying it to the horse you rode in on is a double wham.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

What Matt said. Its a huge double insult. You really have to hate someone to tell their horse to fuck off.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously!

What did the horse do?!?!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

HE WAS THERE, THAT'S WHAT HE DID!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Guilt by association!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

The "horse you rode in on" part is used to tell someone to basically "Get off their high horse," with someone who is using a "high horse" attitude being a person who believes themself to be superior to others, kind of like the hero Cowboy who rides into town in old western movies.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Not to me, the horse was just always a double slam to the traditional fuck you.

My dad would say it when he lost a hand at poker, fondest memories of my child hood.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah as chris said, the "horse you rode in on" is implying that the person its said to are coming from a high and righteous position

So its the same as saying "Fuck you, and you're full of shit"
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it also seems to me that the additional, enhanced insultiveness comes from the invective being detailed. There's difference between saying, "I f**ked your sister" and "Last night I f**ked your sister till she screamed". Details lend plausibility, thus making the insult hard to deny, and the act of insulting irreversible.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but if you want to be a real ass, you say fuck you and the horse you rode in on, and the dog that followed you into town.

Yeah, I grew up in a tough crowd.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Along the Path of the Beam nordh is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it also seems to me that the additional, enhanced insultiveness comes from the invective being detailed. There's difference between saying, "I f**ked your sister" and "Last night I f**ked your sister till she screamed". Details lend plausibility, thus making the insult hard to deny, and the act of insulting irreversible.
    And the horse she rode in on?

Anyhow, I think I've gotten my answer. Cheers everyone. It felt a bit too good of a saying to have been originated by King (and be a sort of reference between books).

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Yes, but if you want to be a real ass, you say fuck you and the horse you rode in on, and the dog that followed you into town.

I love that!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I always took the "horse" part literally.

That would explain the police car and the fine from the ASPCA.
    Last edited by Jon; 02-17-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Only you Jon

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by nordh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    And the horse she rode in on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I always too the "horse" part literally.

WAT

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

why have i never seen this thread before?

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I always too the "horse" part literally.

But in your case, Jon, wouldn't it be "Fuck you and the sheep you rode in on!"?

Oh wait . . . "rode" could really be misinterpreted here . . .

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to contribute something to this conversation about naughty words:

CHINGA TU MADRE PINCHE PUTA PENDEJO CABRON!
    JOVEN!!!

there, even if u dont know what it means (and I do) mexican-spanish cursing just has more oomph than anything in english
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recognize just enough words to know you insulted someone's mother.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I recognize just enough words to know you insulted someone's mother.
    the english equivalent is calling someone a horny-whorish-goat who fucks their mother

followed by a healthy cry of "n fuck yourself 2!"

sounds more wrong en espanol though

for the record I wasnt directing it at anyone in particular
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

We said fuck you, the horse you rode in on, and the fleas that infest it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I've always been fond of Vonnegut's "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut?" which he uses frequently in Slapstick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast