Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Arguments for the Kindle

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My issue with Kindle is cost. Not only would have I have to pay for a Kindle AND the Ebooks, I would have to buy a tangible edition as well. One day a I will see a bookshelve will just have a Kindle on it and I will cry :'(
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Traveler PBear71 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default E-readers or paper books

So, I looked and I didn't see this question (If I missed it I am terribly sorry.) What is your preference an E-reader (Kindle, Nook etc.) Or real books? Why do you prefer it?

As for me I can go either way but I love the smell of a real book so I keep getting drawn back to them.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Kindle and iPad. Mainly for convenience sake as I can carry hundreds of books. I took 12 books with me on a vacation once and it was very cumbersome. The iPad makes it so much easier. I do love everything about books which is why I still buy them. I do read physical books on occasion if I can't find an ebook version.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It took many years to convince me that an eReader was the wave of the future, as, having been an avid devourer of the printed page since age 6, nothing beats the feel, smell and heft of the genuine article. I received a Kindle as a gift maybe 18 months back, and haven't looked back - sure, I still collect books for the authors I love (gotta have me those first editions, limited editions, et al) but for ease of access, transportability, compensation for my failing eyesight, etc, Kindle works for me just fine
    We all float down here!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bump

Country
    Country Flag

there is a thread here, I've bumped it for you

I'll do the merge soon

there's nothing like Kindle. Nothing.

Traveler PBear71 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, well sorry for re-posting the question. Thank you very much for the link.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Already crying. I do not like e-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    My issue with Kindle is cost. Not only would have I have to pay for a Kindle AND the Ebooks, I would have to buy a tangible edition as well. One day a I will see a bookshelve will just have a Kindle on it and I will cry :'(

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What's with the blocks in the text? Can we not say Kindle?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PBear71 View Post
    So, I looked and I didn't see this question (If I missed it I am terribly sorry.) What is your preference an E-reader (Kindle, Nook etc.) Or real books? Why do you prefer it?

As for me I can go either way but I love the smell of a real book so I keep getting drawn back to them.

Agreed.

I have a Kindle that I received as a gift, but have only read library books on it. I absolutely refuse to buy a book for it.
    I could have bought the Doctor Sleep e-book the day that it was released for a fairly cheap price, but held out for the paper version.
    And a paperback book is one of the most beautiful items on the planet. The feel of the cover and pages. The smell.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love books. A love looking at all of the books on my shelf, especially the well made ones. That being said, I buy all of my new books for reading on my Kindle. The new Paperwhite is so lightweight, can be used in the dark, and for me, is much easier to read than a book. Whenever I am heading for vacation, I load it up with reading material and I am on my way. As I get older, it is just more convenient for me.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm on a minimalist streak now, trying to get rid of as many possessions as I can. The Kindle is a godsend. Moving my fiance's entire book collection (which is massive) to his new apartment on a day with a windchill of about 20 degrees also helped to convert me. However, I still love real books, and have held on to several which are sentimental to me (or which have a lot of pictures; the Kindle is not good for photos or illustrations). So I can see both sides. I also might feel differently if I had a permanent residence and didn't have to worry about packing and unpacking my collection.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I love books. For me, the tactile experience of reading a book is irreplaceable. I love the smell. I love to look at them on my shelf. I also love how it sparks conversations among friends who see the books on the shelf. I will always choose to buy books from certain authors, and classics of course. That said, I do read books on my ipad. This is largely do to the fact that a friend of mine gave me a thumbdrive with about 500 books on it. So, they are there, why not read them. I enjoy the ability to look up words and research certain passages at a whim, as well as have traslations and concordances handy. I also like that I can reverse the lighting. (white letters on a black background) and read at night without disturbing my wife. This all leads to the fact that I always have at least two books going. One physical book that I carry around with me, take to work etc., and one that I am reading on the ipad, primarily in bed. I also like that I can have many books (mostly non fiction) going at once, and the ipad will keep my place for me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

kindle.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see it now...weird. Earlier in every post only the word Kindle was a black box...

Country
    Country Flag

it is weird. I know that I found this thread using search, so it was expected that I saw the results with the search word in a brown box - that's how search results are always highlighted here. But it didn't go away after I posted, refreshed, and reloaded the page. That was already weird. But that someone else should see it the way I did - is totally extraordinary.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

No matter how bloated the novel you can still drop it on your foot

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't find Kindles to be very expensive... about $100, and generally the e-book is cheaper than a hard copy because they aren't charging for binding and ink. Classics where the copyright is expired are often free or only a dollar. So you can make your money back very quickly - within 5-20 books, depending.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

But E-books don't tangibly exist, meaning you're paying for data, I'm paying for something doesn't vanish, like my friends KoBo and his EBooks, when it broke. Generally my books cost me les than ten dollars anyways, unless I'm buying a scarce edition but then there is another reason I'll never own an EReader, you cant really find a nice edition of an eBook. I can see reasons for an eBook but I'd rather carry around a thousand page beast around than have a whole library with me, I only read two books at a time and one stays in my washroom lol.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

True. The initial investment is cheaper however when your reader breaks it is gone...until you buy a new reader. In most cases the new reader will cost more than the last one and you bought and, fingers crossed, the format is still compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    But E-books don't tangibly exist, meaning you're paying for data, I'm paying for something doesn't vanish, like my friends KoBo and his EBooks, when it broke. Generally my books cost me les than ten dollars anyways, unless I'm buying a scarce edition but then there is another reason I'll never own an EReader, you cant really find a nice edition of an eBook. I can see reasons for an eBook but I'd rather carry around a thousand page beast around than have a whole library with me, I only read two books at a time and one stays in my washroom lol.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    and, fingers crossed, the format is still compatible.
    as far as I know, all formats can be (re)converted

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My friend got 100 free books...I already owned 3/4 of them lol

Country
    Country Flag

My Kindle has been dropped several times and works perfectly. They're pretty hard to destroy. And if it were a house fire or flood, you'd be better off buying a new Kindle and re-downloading from the cloud than repurchasing hundreds of books. Last I checked, Amazon still sells the older versions while selling newer versions, so you can still get an inexpensive one, and there's the secondary market. I also don't think the format has changed since they came out, and I think mine reads a few different file types.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast