Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite? Who is closest to your heart from the ka-tet?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland

45 34.88%
  • Eddie

32 24.81%
  • Jake

23 17.83%
  • Susannah

6 4.65%
  • Oy

23 17.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The big question now and forever: Who is your favourite from the Ka-Tet?

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Roland. I'm in love with the way he is in love with the Tower.

John F. Kennedy Flavio is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Jake... reminds me of... well... ME.
    I can not belive that you peaple like Oy (Acho, in Spanish...Boy=Muchacho/ Oy=Acho) more than the poor Susannah... I think you are discriminating her...
    I can not belive it...
    Oy is my second... Sussanah the third, Roland fourh and Eddie... poor Eddie... the last one.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
    Voted for Jake... reminds me of... well... ME.
    I can not belive that you peaple like Oy (Acho, in Spanish...Boy=Muchacho/ Oy=Acho) more than the poor Susannah... I think you are discriminating her...
    I can not belive it...
    Oy is my second... Sussanah the third, Roland fourh and Eddie... poor Eddie... the last one.
    I don't really get this. Susannah is after Oy in your list, too.

Roland would have understood.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Eddie. I identify with Eddie. I understand him.
    If you love me then love me..

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Eddie Dean, you are my favorite. Followed closely by Oy, of course.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Oy loyal and fierce for always

Closely followed by eddie dean

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland, no question about that.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Roland, no question about that.
    I will give the same answer as long as I live.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

^ Agreed.

Roland is not just my favorite from the ka-tet, but my favorite character ever created in a fictional universe. I love him so much that I sometimes can't fall in love with characters from "new" stories because I can't NOT compare them to Roland.

Traveler wishfulthinking is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

while Roland is the greatest bad ass Eddie wins for me mostly because though Roland can kill an entire town by himself Eddie was in a firefight naked that takes alot of guts

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't like judging people. Which of us is really best? How do you decide? If you ask me, "Who do you like more?" I'm liable to ask back, "You mean, who's more like me?" because that's not as tough to answer. Why should one character be more important to me than others are? Is it "Which is written most believably?" That'd be interesting, but SK generally has a way with good, varied characterizations.

If I imagine them as real, then I can imagine being more attracted to some (if it's "Who would you want for your best friend?") because I do feel that with some real people more than I do with others... but it's equally important, with real people, how they feel about me, and with fictional characters, you never have more than your own guesses for that.

So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways? If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting.
    I do not think being a 'favorite' should be automatically equated to being objectively 'the best'. We choose what/who we like or dislike all the time, even subconsciously, based on our own past experience, temperament, IQ and EQ, current state of mind, and what not. It's just a coping mechanism of the human mind - it cannot process all of the incoming information at once, or is unable to draw conclusions based on insufficient information, so has to fall back on existing knowledge. At the same time, saying that someone is "the best" calls for a conscious effort and at least some sort of criteria.

I'm also not sure that the characters being ka-tet implies that everyone on the outside has to have the same kind of feelings towards each of them. Why would it be so? Yes, these five are bound by the same fate, but they do not stop being portrayed as separate individuals with different personalities.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. ...
    Thank you.

...I do not think being a 'favorite' should be automatically equated to being objectively 'the best'. ...
    Well, that was only one of the alternatives I mentioned, trying to understand to what it should be equated.
    ...We choose what/who we like or dislike all the time, even subconsciously, based on our own past experience, temperament, IQ and EQ, current state of mind, and what not. It's just a coping mechanism of the human mind - it cannot process all of the incoming information at once, or is unable to draw conclusions based on insufficient information, so has to fall back on existing knowledge. ...
    I have noticed that people do that. Just being honest about my own feelings. My life would probably be easier if my mind worked the same way. I'm probably too analytical.
    ...I'm also not sure that the characters being ka-tet implies that everyone on the outside has to have the same kind of feelings towards each of them. Why would it be so? Yes, these five are bound by the same fate, but they do not stop being portrayed as separate individuals with different personalities.
    Certainly. Also, in some senses they seem to each have different fates. Yet they share a goal. Eddie gives Roland a hard time about the Tower for a while, but in the end he supports him.
    DT7
    I was just pointing out that outsiders really are likely to have some common feeling towards all of them due to what they have in common. Like, if I asked, "Who was your favorite member of the Bush administration?" that would be assuming a few things about your political opinions, wouldn't it?
    Reading back over this thread, I see I'm not the first DT fan to have trouble picking just one member of this ka-tet to be favorite.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Well, that was only one of the alternatives I mentioned, trying to understand to what it should be equated.
    Incidentally, it was also similar to something that I had discussed with someone in RL very recently, and it kind of jumped to my eyes, so I commented.
    I do have some thoughts about those other alternatives, but they are utterly unoriginal, so not exactly interesting to debate.

I have noticed that people do that. Just being honest about my own feelings. My life would probably be easier if my mind worked the same way. I'm probably too analytical.
    I am sure you have.
    Ability to think deeply or differently can be both a blessing and a curse (sounds rather cliche, but what can I do - no better way to say it). I am fascinated by the differences in how people's minds work, so I appreciate that you speak your mind (those are rather unorthodox thoughts, too).

Certainly. Also, in some senses they seem to each have different fates. Yet they share a goal. Eddie gives Roland a hard time about the Tower for a while, but in the end he supports him.
    DT7
    I was just pointing out that outsiders really are likely to have some common feeling towards all of them due to what they have in common. Like, if I asked, "Who was your favorite member of the Bush administration?" that would be assuming a few things about your political opinions, wouldn't it?
    Reading back over this thread, I see I'm not the first DT fan to have trouble picking just one member of this ka-tet to be favorite.
    (Disclaimer: all political talk below is completely hypothetical.)

Political opinions, yes. But what you say is an analogy to you asking me "Who's you favorite from the ka-tet?" and having certain assumptions about my allegiance to White rather than Red. It does not suggest anything about my attitute towards each person in particular.

Going back to the Bush administration analogy: it is not too difficult to imagine a situation where I could be a supporter of their policies and methods but dislike a certain person - e.g. a woman with whom my ex-boyfriend cheated long ago, or a man who was rude to me or to others in a parking lot fender-bender, or even someone who just seems too loud or too pushy to me. None of this would be enough to jump ship, so to speak, and become a supporter of democrats, as it would not affect my view of the party. (Perhaps with time it might - if there is a critical mass of such dislikes, but that's a different matter.)

So it's the same here: I can dislike Susannah but still like the rest of the ka-tet and even have a favorite among them.

I'm not saying that everyone must be able to pick a favorite, rather, I'm curious why people cannot or don't want to do so.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...what you say is an analogy to you asking me "Who's you favorite from the ka-tet?" and having certain assumptions about my allegiance to White rather than Red. It does not suggest anything about my attitute towards each person in particular. ...
    To me, it does, because, with characters that have allegiances to the Red rather than the White, that has everything to do with my attitude towards them. That kind of preference, I understand.
    ...I'm not saying that everyone must be able to pick a favorite, rather, I'm curious why people cannot or don't want to do so.
    It's funny, this discussion; it's not easy for me to answer you, because even as you're asking that, I'm curious to know why people do.

Country
    Country Flag

1. So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways?
    2. If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.
    1. Of course you can.

2. I think I know where you are coming from but for my part I cannot help but I simply and honestly love Roland more than any other characters. It's not because I would like him to be my friend the most. It's not because he is more like me (in fact, the opposite). It's not because he is written more believably.
    I love him more just because. That's how I feel. And this feeling is so strong I can touch/feel it as if I was touching/feeling some soft velvet.

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I find it impossible to pick a fravorite. Roland is so cool, but I love that sort of character in any 'Universe' But each character had respectable qualities, so picking a fravorite would be impossible I think.

Country
    Country Flag

To me, it does, because, with characters that have allegiances to the Red rather than the White, that has everything to do with my attitude towards them. That kind of preference, I understand.
    This brings up another question (although since we have no common definition of 'favorite', it's pointless) - whether there can be such a thing as a 'favorite villain'. However, this is not the thread to discuss it, so I'll just leave it here as a sketch of my line of thinking, not a real question. I have no desire to sound argumentative.

It's funny, this discussion; it's not easy for me to answer you, because even as you're asking that, I'm curious to know why people do.
    I can very well understand that. It would be rather difficult for me to describe what goes on in my head when I do, too.

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    2. I think I know where you are coming from but for my part I cannot help but I simply and honestly love Roland more than any other characters. It's not because I would like him to be my friend the most. It's not because he is more like me (in fact, the opposite). It's not because he is written more believably.
    I love him more just because. That's how I feel. And this feeling is so strong I can touch/feel it as if I was touching/feeling some soft velvet.
    Letti
    I think there is quite a bit of rational basis to why Roland is my favorite character, but it would require such extensive analysis of my own mind and psyche that I would not even start.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways?
    2. If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.
    1. Of course you can.
    Yay! (I'm not so hard to please, after all.)
    Respect, Letti.
    This brings up another question (although since we have no common definition of 'favorite', it's pointless) - whether there can be such a thing as a 'favorite villain'. However, this is not the thread to discuss it, so I'll just leave it here as a sketch of my line of thinking, not a real question. I have no desire to sound argumentative.
    You don't. It is a great question, IMO. Perhaps I'll go and rant on this thread next.
    ...I think there is quite a bit of rational basis to why Roland is my favorite character, but it would require such extensive analysis of my own mind and psyche that I would not even start.
    Aww. You big tease.

Country
    Country Flag

You don't. It is a great question, IMO. Perhaps I'll go and rant on this thread next.
    Thank you.
    Ah, such a thread exists already; there is nothing new under the sun. Duly voted there.

Aww. You big tease.
    Well, I would not completely rule out existence of this trait in my personality
    Seriously though, emotional nakedness is in some respects more difficult than physical, and this is such a convoluted question that rational and emotional are difficult to separate. Some day, perhaps.

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

I thought Susannah was probably my favorite. To me her character was amazingly supportive and incredibly unique, both physically and mentally. Roland is a very close second, but I love them all! I miss them.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 19eye-rosecrow-gun View Post
    I thought Susannah was probably my favorite. To me her character was amazingly supportive and incredibly unique, both physically and mentally. Roland is a very close second, but I love them all! I miss them.

I can understand how some people like Susannah... I cannot understand how she can be a favorite character....

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not ashamed to admit I voted for Oy. At the end
    of DT 7

"'Olan, 'Ake."

I think Roland kicks as lot of ass, but really, even after everything he has been through, he is still kind of a douche-bag. He'd still sell anything, betray anyone, to get to his almighty tower. The worst part is, that he makes others WANT to sacrifice themselves for him. His soul is black, I tell you. He is the most selfish character I have ever read.

If not Oy, then certainly Jake. Then Eddie, then Suse. Then, I guess, Roland.

I'm sure I'll get some flak for this one, especially being a newb. Sorry everyone!
    Last edited by thegreattim; 11-05-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fix spoiler tag

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post
    I think Roland kicks as lot of ass, but really, even after everything he has been through, he is still kind of a douche-bag. He'd still sell anything, betray anyone, to get to his almighty tower. The worst part is, that he makes others WANT to sacrifice themselves for him. His soul is black, I tell you. He is the most selfish character I have ever read.

If not Oy, then certainly Jake. Then Eddie, then Suse. Then, I guess, Roland.

I'm sure I'll get some flak for this one, especially being a newb. Sorry everyone!
    I certainly hope you don't get any flak, as you call it. Anyone can choose what character they like. Oy was a good character, and for once he is a furry little animal which I did not want killed.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he means flak for criticising Roland: too much of a newbie to realize that that's practically the official sport of this community.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast